PDA

View Full Version : MAC Expansion - FCS Teams? FBS?

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Since I do not necessarily see any Sun Belt teams wanting to go the the MAC for any reason - which FCS teams are reasonably in the mix for a MAC invitation?

Eastern Michigan University athletic director Derrick Gragg wouldn’t be surprised if the Mid-American Conference issues invitations to one or two institutions to join the MAC in the near future.

“I think the MAC is going to try to extend invitations to one or two institutions in the next year or two,” he said.

Talking to the EMU Board of Regents Athletic Affairs Committee this afternoon, Gragg said current MAC members will be attending a retreat Oct. 11 to 13 to discuss various issues, including the shifting national collegiate sports landscape and what moves the MAC needs to make.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/emu-ad-mac-could-issue-invitations-to-new-members-in-near-future/

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2010, 12:46 PM
Mentioned amongst MAC's fan base...

Delaware
UMass
Stony Brook
James Madison
Richmond
Illinois State
Stony Brook
Northern Iowa

danefan
September 22nd, 2010, 12:49 PM

Delaware
UMass
Stony Brook
James Madison
Richmond
Illinois State
Stony Brook
Northern Iowa

None of which really makes any sense except maybe Stony Brook.

Why would any of the CAA teams move their all-sports to a weaker conference? Same goes for Iliinois State or UNI moving their basketball programs out of the Valley.

Buffalo might want SBU but I'm not so sure SBU would want the MAC.

ysubigred
September 22nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
YSU back in 1994 tried to go to the MAC and the members shot us down?? Would be the best geographical fit for us besides the OVC in 1FCS.

PantherRob82
September 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
No way we would ever go to the MAC. Basketball is the obvious reason, but I don't think we even want our football there.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Come on, guys, the answer to this is obvious. North Dakota State and South Dakota State. xlolx

For real, though, here's the real takeaway from this article:

In addition he said he wouldn’t be surprised to see Temple University, which is on a two-year, football-only deal to leave for another conference at the end of its agreement.

The only other conference that it could be moving to in football that would make any sense would be the Big East.

henfan
September 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

Delaware

Dream away, MAC fans because it ain't gonna happen, It's a bad move in every possible regard. Every trip for every sport would be a plane flight. There are no competitive or financial advantages to joining the MAC.

Cat79
September 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Since I do not necessarily see any Sun Belt teams wanting to go the the MAC for any reason - which FCS teams are reasonably in the mix for a MAC invitation?

http://www.annarbor.com/news/emu-ad-mac-could-issue-invitations-to-new-members-in-near-future/

TT

You are wrong again about the Sunbelt. For someone who claims to know so much about the Sunbelt you have forgot history.

You know that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee have been targeted by the MAC before. I think both schools have expressed interest in the MAC over the Sunbelt before.

darell1976
September 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM

Delaware
UMass
Stony Brook
James Madison
Richmond
Illinois State
Stony Brook
Northern Iowa

Replaced by...North Dakota and South Dakota...couldn't be sweeter for us GWFC teams who will be homeless in a couple years.

danefan
September 22nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Come on, guys, the answer to this is obvious. North Dakota State and South Dakota State. xlolx

For real, though, here's the real takeaway from this article:

The only other conference that it could be moving to in football that would make any sense would be the Big East.

Why in the world would the Big East ever take Temple back? Especially considering the invite to Nova?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM
Why in the world would the Big East ever take Temple back? Especially considering the invite to Nova?

Ten teams, divisional play, championship game.

danefan
September 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM

You need 12 teams for a championship game in FBS don't you?

And I would think the Big East wouldn't risk splitting the already questionable Philly market between Villanova and Temple.

Big Al
September 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM

That requires 12 teams.

Also, UNI is never going MAC. Zero interest or support in Iowa for lower-tier FBS. The Panthers have a good thing going and everyone knows it.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2010, 02:56 PM
You need 12 teams for a championship game in FBS don't you?

And I would think the Big East wouldn't risk splitting the already questionable Philly market between Villanova and Temple.

The Big East is trying to find ways to keep the (football) league in the fold, and Temple has the stadium already. And don't discount the possibility of Temple/Nova becoming a big rivalry in football if it's a Big East game. They already have a big basketball rivalry.

The other thing is - if Temple is leaving the MAC, exactly where are they going? C-USA? The ACC? The (choke) WAC? I'm guessing Jim Delany does not have Temple on his speed dial for Big Ten membership, so where else can they possibly be going?

NovaWildcat
September 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
If Temple is going anywhere, it is to C-USA. Check out their Rivals board, it's well documented. It's a HUGE upgrade in football and about a wash in basketball.

Besides the fact, the Big East doesn't want a school that it kicked out 6 years ago. Also, 10 schools makes scheduling MORE difficult than 9...with 9 schools you play 4 home and 4 away in conference. With 10 schools you have the same problem that you had with 8. Complete scheduling imbalance.

Not to mention that the current conference has 16 teams (and hasn't split YET), so there will not be 17 teams.

Also Temple does have the stadium...but no one to fill it!!!

(I really sound like a Temple-basher in my last few posts..quite the contrary I like and root for them when they don't play Nova, but all of this Temple-to-BE-talk is pure uninformed garbage).

Redwyn
September 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
None of which really makes any sense except maybe Stony Brook.

Why would any of the CAA teams move their all-sports to a weaker conference? Same goes for Iliinois State or UNI moving their basketball programs out of the Valley.

Buffalo might want SBU but I'm not so sure SBU would want the MAC.

Interesting...It would be an intriguing move for SBU. Though SBU has stated openly that basketball is to be their "major focus" sport. Is the MAC a stronger basketball conference than the America East? How are they in other sports?

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
You are wrong again about the Sunbelt. For someone who claims to know so much about the Sunbelt you have forgot history.

You know that Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee have been targeted by the MAC before. I think both schools have expressed interest in the MAC over the Sunbelt before.

I am well aware that the MAC has targeted them in the past...

They are still not in the league, are they? I do not think either school is truly interested in a lateral move from the SBC to the MAC. Their expenses are not bad in the SBC and they are both the 'top bananas'. They want to get into C-USA and potentially the Big East down the road. For now, they have no reason to leave the SBC - unless it is an upward move. This is a lateral move, at best.

danefan
September 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
Interesting...It would be an intriguing move for SBU. Though SBU has stated openly that basketball is to be their "major focus" sport. Is the MAC a stronger basketball conference than the America East? How are they in other sports?

The East division of the MAC is pretty good in basketball. Kent State, Akron and Ohio are all top 100 RPI teams.
The league as a whole has been a better bball league then the AEast also. Last year they were 16th I think as compared to the AEast in the 20s.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
If Temple is going anywhere, it is to C-USA. Check out their Rivals board, it's well documented. It's a HUGE upgrade in football and about a wash in basketball.

Besides the fact, the Big East doesn't want a school that it kicked out 6 years ago. Also, 10 schools makes scheduling MORE difficult than 9...with 9 schools you play 4 home and 4 away in conference. With 10 schools you have the same problem that you had with 8. Complete scheduling imbalance.

Not to mention that the current conference has 16 teams (and hasn't split YET), so there will not be 17 teams.

Also Temple does have the stadium...but no one to fill it!!!

(I really sound like a Temple-basher in my last few posts..quite the contrary I like and root for them when they don't play Nova, but all of this Temple-to-BE-talk is pure uninformed garbage).

I'll go one better.

Villanova joins Big East Football
Temple joins as a football affiliate
Memphis joins in all sports
UCF joins in all sports

20 team basketball
12 team football

North
Temple
Rutgers
Syracuse
Villanova
Pitt
UConn

South
Cincy
WVA
UCF
USF
Louisville
Memphis

Voila. Championship game. And all of a sudden, the suggestion that the Big East will be going away finally becomes a moot point.

Even travel becomes less of an issue.

superman7515
September 22nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Why would any of the CAA teams move their all-sports to a weaker conference?

I don't expect Delaware to go, nor am I advocating it, but Delaware hasn't exactly been mowing down the competition in other sports in the CAA. UD's men basketball team hasn't come close to winning anything since the America East days, the women's team has come close (and has a good chance this year) but also hasn't won it all. Other than lacrosse and football success every 2-3 years, the CAA hasn't been the boon for UD athletics that many think.

Basketball (M) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Basketball (W) - 0 Championships - 2 Runner-ups
Baseball - 0 Championships - 2 Runner-ups
Cross Country (M) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Cross Country (W) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Field Hockey - 2 Championships - 1 Runner-up
Golf (M) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Golf (W) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Lacrosse - 2 Championships - 2 Runner-ups
Soccer (M) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Soccer (W) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Softball - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Swimming (M) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Swimming (W) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Tennis (M) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Tennis (W) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Track & Field (M) - 0 Championships - 1 Runner-up
Track & Field (W) - 0 Championships - 0 Runner-ups
Volleyball - 2 Championships - 1 Runner-up

At least if we moved to the MAC, we may win a few more games from time to time.

NovaWildcat
September 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
LFN, while that solution seems all good and dandy, it will never happen.

To start, your math is off - that conference you propose is 12 team football and 18 team basketball.

For a member to be allowed in, it needs to be approved by all existing members. NO CHANCE do the catholic basketball schools let in UCF and Memphis for the sake of being an 18 team conference. Scheduling BE Basketball is a nightmare as is - no way they increase to 20 to allow more big schools in. And Temple as a football-only affiliate..hmm..sounds familiar? Not gonna happen. Been there done that.

You just have to look at the math. 12 teams needed for a conference championship. With Villanova, the Big East is at 9. Will the conference allow 3 other full time members? That would make 19 schools. Unlikely. An affiliate member doesn't appear to be in the solution -- and if it was, do you really think the BE would bring in a school that failed miserably in the role just 6 years ago?

The far more likely scenario is that football schools split from basketball schools, and thats a whole different argument. However, in the existing alignment, Temple will not be joining.

nmatsen
September 22nd, 2010, 07:37 PM
The only way we jump to the MAC is if we get an invite the way Temple did, a football only invite. We only bus to two football conference games a year, we would only be adding one by still being able to drive to NIU. UNI wouldn't give up the Valley in Basketball and other "olympic" sports to jump for the MAC. There is just as much room for UNI in Iowa as a member of the MAC as there is a FCS team. We would actually get more respect in my opinion.

Seawolf97
September 22nd, 2010, 08:03 PM

I think we sit tight if the MAC came calling. Too much money to lay out for little return.buy out of the new Big South contract, upgrade football by at least 20 scholarships,expand facilities, etc etc. The MAC isnt the Big Ten with jumbo TV exposure, brand name teams coming to SBU for games. No stay in the Big South, AE and see what plays out down the road in 5-7 years. And where does our ranked lacrosse program go? It would be nice to be considered but no thanks.

JMUNJ08
September 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah I know some JMU fans would jump at anyone looking at us to move up but I hate the idea. The MAC would not be a good move. I think the reason we have such a great fan base is we have all the VA teams to play in and out of conference. Basketball we can bus to W&M, ODU, VCU, GMU with out of conference all local too: VMI, Liberty, Longwood, UR, UVA, VT, Norfolk St., Radford. (must be missing someone) Our fans love being so close to our team no matter where they are because they don't have to go too far!

We have a good football fan base so why would we start to mess it up with trips to Buffalo, Eastern Michigan and Kent State? I'm sorry, our fan base is VA to Mass along the coast. We would become the new Western Kentucky of FBS. Doesn't sound appealing...Dreams of the CAA would dance in our heads...

Redwyn
September 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
I think we sit tight if the MAC came calling. Too much money to lay out for little return.buy out of the new Big South contract, upgrade football by at least 20 scholarships,expand facilities, etc etc. The MAC isnt the Big Ten with jumbo TV exposure, brand name teams coming to SBU for games. No stay in the Big South, AE and see what plays out down the road in 5-7 years. And where does our ranked lacrosse program go? It would be nice to be considered but no thanks.

I was thinking along similar lines. While I don't think we're necessarily afraid of pushing through with the necessary upgrades for FBS (financial climate taken into consideration of course), I think you're right that the payback the MAC would offer is simply too small.

danefan
September 22nd, 2010, 11:50 PM
I was thinking along similar lines. While I don't think we're necessarily afraid of pushing through with the necessary upgrades for FBS (financial climate taken into consideration of course), I think you're right that the payback the MAC would offer is simply too small.

I would agree with both of these. Despite what Buffalo fans might thing, the MAC isn't a destination for anyone right now. Believe it or not, for SBU and Albany I would have to think that the CAA in all-sports is more desirable than the MAC.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 22nd, 2010, 11:51 PM

I agree that the MAC isn't a good fit for Stony Brook (or any self respecting FCS school for that matter) but SB in the Big South is one of the goofiest conference affiliations I've seen. Granted, LA-Tech in the WAC and San Diego in the PFL aren't any better, but the last thing you think of when you hear Long Island is the south. There are probably plenty of other conferences that have longer travel distances than SB does to the rest of the conference, but for some reason it just sticks out to me.

I'm sure the CAA would like to have 12 football playing schools to set up a nice clean north and south division again, and with the potential loss of 'Nova and the potential addition of GA State and ODU, SB would make a nice 12th member to be our new Hofstra (minus the b-ball unis designed to look nearly identical to Delaware's).

Cat79
September 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Now posted on the GoMeanGreen UNT fan forum that the MAC is looking at Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee. You are wrong TT.

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Now posted on the GoMeanGreen UNT fan forum that the MAC is looking at Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee. You are wrong TT.

We know the MAC is interested in WKU and Middle Tennessee.

If you could use your Southwest Texas Normal School education, the point remains whether or not those schools are interested in the MAC. MT and WKU both want into C-USA and those chain of events leading to them having spots could very well happen.

Wouldn't you say C-USA is a step up from the MAC? SBC? Cleary. Is the MAC a step up from the SBC? Not necessarily.

It is not about being wrong, but grasping a concept.

Comments by MT, WKU fans...

"The only way this is even considered by MT and WKU is if the Sunbelt were to suffer some sort of WAC like collapse."

"MTSU... don't think they want the MAC. Period. WKU was ready to go 5 years ago. That ship has sailed."

"Middle Tennessee is a SOUTHERN SCHOOL. There is nothing attractive, absolutely nothing, about the MAC to MT fans. "

"Too many possibilities for WKU/MTSU to even consider MAC right now. Potential shuffling of C-USA, expansion to SBC, etc. I'd want to see how this all plays out. I would not be interested in jumping to MAC at this point. "

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Fans quotes on message boards and/or blogs to support what you believe will happen, we have reached a new low of evidence.

nwFL Griz
September 23rd, 2010, 09:45 AM
Fans quotes on message boards and/or blogs to support what you believe will happen, we have reached a new low of evidence.

Unfortunately, in this conference realignment stuff, that's about all we have. After how the WAC-MWC stuff has played out, I doubt you'll hear anything "concrete" from school officials until something had already been decided. IMO

Lehigh Football Nation
September 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Not for nothing, when I first saw this thread I instantly thought "James Madison", though it makes little geographic sense. The only one that makes geographic sense would be Youngstown State, but I don't think that helps the MAC much.

If it's indeed MTSU and WKU, these low-rent FBS conferences must really be worried that they will be coming apart, or forced to downgrade to FCS. I don't think the MAC or C-USA will, but the WAC is in real danger of it, and a newly-weakened Sun Belch without WKU and MTSU will be, too, I think.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
Fun to talk about but as we saw this summer only a small percentage of talk comes to fruition

RookieWill
September 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
If an FCS team is going to upgrade to the MAC, they need to have a plan to get OUT of the MAC as well (didn't Marshall pull that off?) If you're in the MAC, I believe the "conference championship" game is at Ford Field in Detroit, and if you WIN the MAC, you go to a bowl game in Detroit. I actually like and enjoy Detroit, but that has to be the worst freaking thing I have ever heard in my life for a college football fan

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Sounds like no one actually wants in the MAC.

JMUNJ08
September 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Sounds like no one actually wants in the MAC.

The Dakotas do....

darell1976
September 23rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
The Dakotas do....

Just NDSU after the WAC, Big 12, and Big 10.

Redbird Ray
September 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Illinois State would be an ideal geographic and institutional fit for the MAC. Like UNI fans have mentioned, we too we would ideally want a football-only deal (to give us time for an exit strategy).

Personally, I wouldn't mind an all-inclusive membership in the MAC, though most ISU fans despise this notion. We would be in the upper quarter of the conference in basketball and baseball each year, and we could finally have the legitimacy that comes with being able to schedule home games against teams like Army, Navy, and various CUSA and Big East schools. If ISU had been in the MAC during the Osiris Eldridge years, we probably would have had 2 or 3 NCAA tourney bids, instead of settling for NIT bids while battling through the rugged MVC.

Our AD has shot down rumors of an FBS move recently, but that isn't to say we would not be ready in 4-5 years. And don't forget, we have a home game scheduled with Ball State in 2013.

URMite
September 23rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
...I'm sure the CAA would like to have 12 football playing schools to set up a nice clean north and south division again, and with the potential loss of 'Nova and the potential addition of GA State and ODU, SB would make a nice 12th member to be our new Hofstra (minus the b-ball unis designed to look nearly identical to Delaware's).

Ok, What is the CAA status? 10 +1(ODU) then +1(GSU) then -1(URI or did that change?) maybe -1(VU???) = 10

So wouldn't we need 1 more if VU stays, 2 if they leave?

rufus
September 23rd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Voila. Championship game. And all of a sudden, the suggestion that the Big East will be going away finally becomes a moot point.

Even travel becomes less of an issue.

Until the SEC and ACC go to 16 teams...

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Illinois State would be an ideal geographic and institutional fit for the MAC. Like UNI fans have mentioned, we too we would ideally want a football-only deal (to give us time for an exit strategy).

Personally, I wouldn't mind an all-inclusive membership in the MAC, though most ISU fans despise this notion. We would be in the upper quarter of the conference in basketball and baseball each year, and we could finally have the legitimacy that comes with being able to schedule home games against teams like Army, Navy, and various CUSA and Big East schools. If ISU had been in the MAC during the Osiris Eldridge years, we probably would have had 2 or 3 NCAA tourney bids, instead of settling for NIT bids while battling through the rugged MVC.

Our AD has shot down rumors of an FBS move recently, but that isn't to say we would not be ready in 4-5 years. And don't forget, we have a home game scheduled with Ball State in 2013.

Do you think you would continue to have basketball success in the MAC?

BlueHenSinfonian
September 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Ok, What is the CAA status? 10 +1(ODU) then +1(GSU) then -1(URI or did that change?) maybe -1(VU???) = 10

So wouldn't we need 1 more if VU stays, 2 if they leave?

I don't know what URI will do, but if we did need one more there is always Albany, or the off chance that University of Boston will bring back football soon, or that George Mason, VCU, or UNCW will want to start a program.

Redbird Ray
September 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Do you think you would continue to have basketball success in the MAC?

A decent question many Redbird fans ponder as well. Would the lower standards of MAC bball wear down on ISU recruiting, level of play etc. I would rather be a middle of the road MVC team than MAC bball team, as the MVC is still more likely to garner higher rankings and at-large consideration.

However, I tend to think that the upside of playing major College Football (albeit, as a doormat likely for 3-7 years) is enough to compensate for this potential bball downgrade. I also think it is a lot easier to build/rebuild a bball program then a football program, especially in FBS. And as we all saw in the latest version of realignment, unless your name is Villanova, football drives the college athletics money train. This is all the more motive to try and start working toward having a competitive FBS program as soon as possible. Gotta start taking some risks somewhere at sometime.

Jackman
September 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM
I don't know what URI will do, but if we did need one more there is always Albany, or the off chance that University of Boston will bring back football soon, or that George Mason, VCU, or UNCW will want to start a program.

BU won't be back, if they ever do come around again we should lock the doors, turn out the lights and pretend nobody is home. Fordham and Stony Brook are better options anyway.

X-Factor
September 23rd, 2010, 06:05 PM
Some of these teams, Northern Iowa for example, can't even afford their sports programs in their current state. How are they supposed to even entertain the idea of moving to the MAC where things would be much more expensive, even putting aside the obvious downgrade in basketball? IMO the MoValley teams on that list are much more likely to lose their DI status than go to the MAC.

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM
The XDSU's are more prime to want a MAC offer because it might be an uprgade in the rest of the sports, where as we don't want to lose MVC sports.

darell1976
September 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
The XDSU's are more prime to want a MAC offer because it might be an uprgade in the rest of the sports, where as we don't want to lose MVC sports.

The MAC would be a heck of an upgrade over the Summit.

Jackman
September 23rd, 2010, 06:26 PM
Some of these teams, Northern Iowa for example, can't even afford their sports programs in their current state. How are they supposed to even entertain the idea of moving to the MAC where things would be much more expensive, even putting aside the obvious downgrade in basketball?

Is it more expensive? The additional scholarships would be covered by the larger guarantees FBS teams receive compared to FCS teams, plus the (admittedly small amount of) MAC television revenue. The bigger issues are that UNI doesn't sponsor the minimum 16 sports (unless indoor and outdoor track count as separate sports), the UNI-Dome would be the smallest FBS stadium and isn't easily expandable, and the hit the basketball program would take. Though if the MVC doesn't break it's streak of one-bid-only years in the tournament, it hardly matters.

elcid83
September 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM

This.

elcid83
September 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
BTW, perhaps Gardner-Webb and Liberty would be good choices since we already have a W in the MAC. ; )

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs669.snc4/60958_1458839784983_1053041569_31103831_6249690_n. jpg

Seawolf97
September 23rd, 2010, 08:27 PM
I would agree with both of these. Despite what Buffalo fans might thing, the MAC isn't a destination for anyone right now. Believe it or not, for SBU and Albany I would have to think that the CAA in all-sports is more desirable than the MAC.

I have to agree. I suspect the CAA could very well lose Villanova and URI which puts them down 4 football programs in the last year. Georgia St is coming but I dont think you will see a VCU or George Mason D1 football team for quite awhile. So why not SBU and Albany? Maybe in all sports since the CAA has great lacrosse reputation and SBU and Albany can play with anybody in D1 Lax. Much better than the MAC and no major increase in funding. Just food for thought.

ysubigred
September 24th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Not for nothing, when I first saw this thread I instantly thought "James Madison", though it makes little geographic sense. The only one that makes geographic sense would be Youngstown State, but I don't think that helps the MAC much.

If it's indeed MTSU and WKU, these low-rent FBS conferences must really be worried that they will be coming apart, or forced to downgrade to FCS. I don't think the MAC or C-USA will, but the WAC is in real danger of it, and a newly-weakened Sun Belch without WKU and MTSU will be, too, I think.

xconfusedx I'm not following you on why YSU wouldn't help much? xchinscratchx Right off the bat we would lead the MAC in fan's in the stands. Having a geographical league that fans could relate to would only increase the fan turn out both home and visitors at Stanbaugh. YSU already has better facilities than most of the MAC schools. I could keep going on but you should get the picture. xreadx xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2010, 09:04 AM
xconfusedx I'm not following you on why YSU wouldn't help much? xchinscratchx Right off the bat we would lead the MAC in fan's in the stands. Having a geographical league that fans could relate to would only increase the fan turn out both home and visitors at Stanbaugh. YSU already has better facilities than most of the MAC schools. I could keep going on but you should get the picture. xreadx xcoffeex

I was thinking more in terms of recruiting and facilities. The MAC already has Ohio pretty well covered. Is Stambaugh FBS-ready? I wasn't sure, but I thought it was more a high-end FCS stadium than an FBS one.

ysubigred
September 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Back in the 90's when YSU was supposed to go to the MAC our stadium was upgraded for the 30K expansion. All that needs to be done is adding the actual seats the concrete and pillars are in place.

Go...gate
September 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM
BU won't be back, if they ever do come around again we should lock the doors, turn out the lights and pretend nobody is home. Fordham and Stony Brook are better options anyway.

I think if BU ever came back it would be in the Patriot League.