PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 4 Predictions

umassfan
September 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM
Lets get week four going for the best FCS conference...

Lehigh 2-1 @ UNH 1-2
Towson 1-2 @ Columbia 0-1
Delaware 3-0 @ Richmond 1-1
William & Mary 2-1 @ Maine 1-2
Liberty 2-1 @ JMU 2-0
Massachusetts 2-1 @ Stony Brook 1-2
Penn 1-0 @ Villanova 2-1

Rob Iola
September 21st, 2010, 12:44 PM
UNH in a must-win situation 24-14
Towson enjoys playing the rare weaker opponent 17-10
Delaware pounds the ball down Richmond's throat 23-17
William and Mary ends a tough week of practice 28-20
JMU survives at home 20-17
UMass (at Stony Brook?) 34-10
Penn in the upset 21-20

iSpider
September 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
from 5 Dimes

UNH -15 vs. Lehigh
Towson -2.5 @ Columbia
Richmond -4 vs. Delaware
JMU -18 vs. Liberty
W&M -6 @ Maine
UMass -17 @ Stony Brook
Villanova -17 vs. Penn

Dukie95
September 21st, 2010, 02:27 PM
from 5 Dimes

UNH -15 vs. Lehigh
Towson -2.5 @ Columbia
Richmond -4 vs. Delaware
JMU -18 vs. Liberty
W&M -6 @ Maine
UMass -17 @ Stony Brook
Villanova -17 vs. Penn

Shocked that LU/JMU is bigger than Penn/Nova

jlcharles
September 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
from 5 Dimes

UNH -15 vs. Lehigh
Towson -2.5 @ Columbia
Richmond -4 vs. Delaware
JMU -18 vs. Liberty
W&M -6 @ Maine
UMass -17 @ Stony Brook
Villanova -17 vs. Penn

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Penn to cover.

Lehigh 2-1 @ UNH 1-2
Towson 1-2 @ Columbia 0-1 - Flip a coin I guess.
Delaware 3-0 @ Richmond 1-1 - Not sure if Richmond can win a second tough game in two weeks. If it was at UD, I'd pick the chickens.
Liberty 2-1 @ JMU 2-0
Penn 1-0 @ Villanova 2-1

jmufan999
September 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM
how is richmond favored in that game? i guess you could argue they've beaten a better team than Delaware has, but i don't see the spiders winning that game. but i would love it.

i'll take:
Lehigh
Columbia
Delaware
W&M
JMU
UMass
Nova

VUCats02
September 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
nova -17???? I'm with charles. In 5 of the previous 6 meetings with upenn (all from 2000-2010), nova has won by 11 (last year) at most, and the rest of the games were all single digit games won by nova. In Big 5 rivalries, you can almost throw out the talent and give the advantage to the team that just wants it more. These games are usually very close (see Villanova vs Temple this decade as well).

JMUNJ08
September 21st, 2010, 06:01 PM
If I had to pick based on the lines:
UNH -15 vs. Lehigh
Towson -2.5 @ Columbia
Richmond -4 vs. Delaware
JMU -18 vs. Liberty
W&M -6 @ Maine
UMass -17 @ Stony Brook
Villanova -17 vs. Penn

However, lets see if I can get to .500 in CAA play and continue a strong OOC showing...Good slate of games with less and less easy ones. Here's what I see:

Lehigh @ UNH
UNH is coming off a BAD, BAD, I mean BAD loss to URI and now sit at 1-2 with all the tough CAA games ahead after the supposed gimme. Lehigh comes in with a chance to improve an OOC resume that many considered rather challenging at the beginning of the season. A win over a bad UNH team would help in the end but is UNH really bad this year? I don't think so and even though Lehigh is a decent team they picked the wrong weekend to check out the foliage in New England.
Lehigh 17 @ UNH 38

Towson @ Columbia
The Ivies have finally started playing! The CAA rarely gets this kind of game (URI/Brown the only 1 I think of) as they stick to the NEC/PL foes for there few OOC bouts. Towson is still a bottom dweller in the CAA but could be rather competitive in most other conferences. Columbia is one that will see that on Saturday.
Towson 24 @ Columbia 18

Delaware @ Richmond
The second heavy weight bout of the year in the CAA (no one had W&M/UMass as 1 to start the season). UR is coming off a big win to open the new campus stadium and UD is one of the few FCS teams sitting at 3-0. UD has had some nice wins but haven't went to a hostile area like UR yet this season. Delvin needs to show his injury won't hurt the Hens but I think UR will again find a way to squeak a win out at home.
UD 17 @ UR 26

Liberty @ JMU
Just a week ago this was going to be a heavy weight battle to top all previous years. 2 undefeated teams with FBS wins in a key OOC battle with playoff implications. Now, a loss to Robert Morris seems to have changed everyone's opinion except mine. JMU has had a week off to enjoy the VT win and get back on track while Liberty didn't play up to their full potential a week ago in the classic trap game. JMU at home in front of a now more voracious crowd (is that possible?!?) should be the one key factor. Sagarian gives 3 points for the home team? That sounds about right in another great game between these two.
Liberty 28 @ JMU 31

W&M @ Maine
Each team had high expectations from the offseason which have dwindled mightily except for W&M's ranking and TSN Bracket Projection. This game will let us know if either is for real this year. Probably the biggest toss up game of the weekend as no one knows who or if anyone is going to show up and play.
W&M 27 @ Maine 20

UMass @ Stony Brook
Another nice OOC game for the Big South and one of its pre-season favorites. However, a relatively even match pre-season looks like a huge mismatch just 3 games in. UMass has been VERY impressive and showed the country they may be here for the long haul by hanging around vs. Michigan in the Big House in front of more fans than nearly all the FCS teams will see total for their home games. Stony Brook has stumbled out of the gates and needs this to rebound before the Big South starts up soon. Though UMass should take this easily.
UMass 37 @ Stony Brook 21

Villanova @ UPenn
The past few years these have been tight low scoring games. Penn is expected to compete for the Ivy League Championship this season as Nova is in the CAA. However, Nova has a couple more games under their belt and have looked somehow almost more impressive than last year. I think they break this one open slowly and keep pouring it on.
Nova 34 @ UPenn 16

iSpider
September 21st, 2010, 06:22 PM
Considering the points --

UNH -15 vs. Lehigh
Towson -2.5 @ Columbia
Richmond -4 vs. Delaware
JMU -18 vs. Liberty
W&M -6 @ Maine
UMass -17 @ Stony Brook
Villanova -17 vs. Penn

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
UD has had some nice wins but haven't went to a hostile area like UR yet this season.

Wait. Did this just happen??? From a JMU fan?!?!

Whhhaaa...?

Henwatcher
September 21st, 2010, 06:58 PM
Things look fairly easy to call this week, except the Towson-Columbia battle.

UNH 35 Lehigh 14 UNH cannot afford to blow this game.
Towson 24 Columbia 21 Flip of the coin says Towson. Ho-hum.
Richmond 31 Delaware 17 Still not sold on UD lines. Too many penalties.
W&M 34 Maine 13 Just too big a difference in talent and coaching.
JMU 38 Liberty 14 Same here, but forget about the coaching part.
UMass 42 Stony Brook 14 If UMass is healthy, they should roll.
Villanova 31 Penn 17 Penn is better than a lot of people think, but not
good enough to beat the best team in FCS.

UR Spider
September 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM

Whhhaaa...?

I know! - Next thing you know they're going to let guys and girls live on the same side of the lake. Craziness.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 21st, 2010, 08:11 PM
Week 4 and the CAA on CAA action begins to heat up.

UNH 31 - Lehigh 10

UNH is coming off of a tough loss and has likely been flogged throughout practice this week. Lehigh is a shadow of its former self. Assuming last week was a fluke, easy win for the kittens.

Towson 20 - Columbia 17

Towson has only had two winning seasons since joining the CAA. The Ivies are a big unknown for most other teams though, and with the recent strength of the PL, it's hard to gauge how strong they might be. I predict Towson can take it, but it should be close.

Richmond 17 - Delaware 28

Richmond is hard to quantify at this point. The loss to Virginia wasn't exactly unexpected, but the win over Elon wasn't as decisive as it could have been. Make no mistake, this will be a tough game for the Hens, but Delaware's defense has been strong thus far, and the game against Duquesne showed that Delaware's running game is as strong as it has ever been, which should mitigate any shakiness from an injured Devlin.

W&M 31 - Maine 13

W&M showed it could hang with UMass, who looks great this year, and shut out VMI. Given those two games, I'm tempted to call the close one with ODU more a sign of ODU's strength than W&Ms weakness.

JMU 45 - Liberty 16

JMU is the team to beat in the CAA this year, and is coming into this game well rested. Liberty on the other hand, while having a FBS win, has that win over an awful Ball State team. This one shouldn't even be close.

UMass 41 - Stony Brook 20

UMass shouldn't be ashamed of the loss to Michigan in the least. Stony Brook may well be a good team someday, and since the collapse of Hofstra, they get first dibs on all the Long Island football talent. This year though, a huge loss to a mediocre FBS team and a loss to an Ivy school sends the message that they aren't quite ready to hang with the big dogs.

Villanova 38 - Penn 14

The Ivy League's self-imposed seclusion from the rest of FCS hasn't done them any favors. The best of the Ancient Eight finds out what happens when they challenge the defending champion of the FCS conference who isn't afraid to mix it up with any other FCS school, and who plays FBS teams to win, not just for money.

caribbeanhen
September 21st, 2010, 09:49 PM
DISCLAIMER: My posts are from the hip, unreferenced and largely unresearched. If someone finds fault with them, too bad, I'm too busy to put real effort in.

I like that Umass fan - rep points for you

GreatAppSt
September 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Lehigh 2-1 @ UNH 1-2
Liberty 2-1 @ JMU 2-0
Penn 1-0 @ Villanova 2-1

JMUNJ08
September 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM

Whhhaaa...?

I know! - Next thing you know they're going to let guys and girls live on the same side of the lake. Craziness.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

We aren't all bad!

While I think the stadium could and should have been in the 12-15K range and still keep the style you guys wanted, its looks nice. Too bad I will never be able to get a ticket since only players' families will fit xnonono2xxnonono2x

UD hasn't been away yet this season to a place where the fans will be in it and the team is a legit challenge. That was more of my point but give'm all you got! Just know we have to win at your place since the away team has won in our series since 2005. Got to be the first visiting team to win at your new digs!xnodxxnodx

Oldhen
September 22nd, 2010, 04:19 AM
Richmond 17 - Delaware 28

Richmond is hard to quantify at this point. The loss to Virginia wasn't exactly unexpected, but the win over Elon wasn't as decisive as it could have been. Make no mistake, this will be a tough game for the Hens, but Delaware's defense has been strong thus far, and the game against Duquesne showed that Delaware's running game is as strong as it has ever been, which should mitigate any shakiness from an injured Devlin.

Don't care much about the other games, but this one is simple.

We get some pressure on the QB from the DL, we should win.

We don't get pressure on the QB, Corp/Grayson/Grey will prove to be the difference.

Problem for me is that rushing the QB has been our big weakness on D this far...

jlcharles
September 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM
Villanova @ UPenn
The past few years these have been tight low scoring games. Penn is expected to compete for the Ivy League Championship this season as Nova is in the CAA. However, Nova has a couple more games under their belt and have looked somehow almost more impressive than last year. I think they break this one open slowly and keep pouring it on.
Nova 34 @ UPenn 16

I just had to comment on this. I stayed until halftime last week (17 month old son couldn't sit still any longer) and I thought it was the worst played blowout I've ever seen. I thought we played like crap for the most part.

JMUNJ08
September 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I just had to comment on this. I stayed until halftime last week (17 month old son couldn't sit still any longer) and I thought it was the worst played blowout I've ever seen. I thought we played like crap for the most part.

Thanks for the input as I've really only got to see the box scores. I still think even if poorly played, Nova is responding well to the target squarly placed on their backs.

URMite
September 22nd, 2010, 09:39 AM
I have got to continue the disbelief in JMU fan responses so far...Here are excerpts from both of them:

“…i don't see the spiders winning that game. but i would love it.”

“UD has had some nice wins but haven't went to a hostile area like UR…”

One rooting for us and the other talking up our rabid fanbase. Considering that, I just hope we get a chance to play the game before armageddon gets here. xprayx

And as for 11/6, new stadium, new streak...especially since that is the game where we change standard attire from red sweater vests to red wife beater tees. xlolx

Oldhen
September 22nd, 2010, 10:15 AM
UD hasn't been away yet this season to a place where the fans will be in it and the team is a legit challenge.

It really makes no difference to UD what the crowd is like when they play away. Home field advantage against most teams is three or so points. Home field advanage against a visiting UD team is probably more like ten to fourteen.... even in an empty stadium.

I have no clue why KC's teams travel so badly when the fanbase travels so well. Even nominally good UD teams seem to travel badly. Last UD team that travelled well was the Flacco-led group in '07, with quality road wins at W&M, JMU, USNA, SIU, and UNI.

Hope this year's version bucks the trend, because the road schedule is just brutal.

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2010, 10:18 AM
My take:

Lehigh 7 @ New Hampshire 35: Well, UNH has to be focused now after losing a forgettable game to URI last week. Not a lot of room to navigate with a tough CAA schedule looming. Lehigh is bad, real bad, and UNH easily handles this one.

Towson 35 @ Columbia 10: Again, a game that Towson can win. They don't get much of these but when they do, I think they do a decent job of getting the W's. I see them winning this one over a bleh Ivy team.

Delaware 28 @ Richmond 21: Delaware's good this year, and it should start coming out in this game. Devlin's injury keeps things a little closer, but UD's OL and the new AP should be able to let UD run the ball pretty well all day. I think UD's susceptible to the big play and with UR's WR's that could result in some points, but I think the Hens get the first away victory at the new stadium.

William and Mary 14 @ Maine 17: I think this is where the wheels start coming off the season for W&M. After a tough loss their last time in New England and after barely surviving a game effort by an ODU program two years in existence, I think it's just going to be a tough slog for the Tribe going forward. Granted, Maine isn't much to write home about either, but in a battle of two teams with big expectations for the year that probably won't happen, I'm going with the home team.

Liberty 14 @ JMU 24: If we just go by the past 2 weeks, Liberty has no prayer in this game - sure they beat Ball St, but the MAC's terrible, and then Liberty fell to Robert Morris of all teams. JMU meanwhile has been riding the high life, still basking in the Va Tech upset. The game shouldn't be a contest - JMU should put 40 up in the first half. However, I don't think either extreme is real - Liberty isn't that bad and JMU isn't that good. I like Dudzik at QB as he steadies the offense, but I'm not sold on the JMU D yet and this is a trap game for JMU with UD coming up next week and now the reduced expectations of Liberty following their shocking loss last week. I think JMU struggles early from the week off and the overlooking of Liberty, but they pull it together at the end to escape a scare.

UMass 42 @ Stony Brook 24: UMass could run the risk of a big letdown after a good effort in the Big House last week, but they can run the ball with the new RB and they'll run the ball all day against an overmatched SB team. If you can put the game in Havens hands I think you can beat UMass, but that won't happen this week.

Penn 7 @ villanova 28: An OOC game that was tight in prior years because nova wasn't prolific offensively. I don't think this is much of a contest. Penn didn't look good in beating an underwhelming Lafayette team and nova is just rolling right now. nova can score a bit right now and this game is just a mismatch. Penn isn't as bad as Lehigh so this will be closer than that, but the home team will not be pushed at all in this one.

URMite
September 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
It really makes no difference to UD what the crowd is like when they play away. Home field advantage against most teams is three or so points. Home field advanage against a visiting UD team is probably more like ten to fourteen.... even in an empty stadium.

I have no clue why KC's teams travel so badly when the fanbase travels so well. Even nominally good UD teams seem to travel badly. Last UD team that travelled well was the Flacco-led group in '07, with quality road wins at W&M, JMU, USNA, SIU, and UNI.

Hope this year's version bucks the trend, because the road schedule is just brutal.

Not that it matters in this game, but UR is just the opposite, one of the best road teams over the last 5 years. That may be a side effect of the negligible home field advantage of the past...

mcveyrl
September 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM

Not to quibble too much, but you guys beat us in Newark in '07. Flacco lost in Harrisonburg in '06.

tribefan40
September 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
My take:
William and Mary 14 @ Maine 17: I think this is where the wheels start coming off the season for W&M. After a tough loss their last time in New England and after barely surviving a game effort by an ODU program two years in existence, I think it's just going to be a tough slog for the Tribe going forward. Granted, Maine isn't much to write home about either, but in a battle of two teams with big expectations for the year that probably won't happen, I'm going with the home team.

Liberty 14 @ JMU 24: If we just go by the past 2 weeks, Liberty has no prayer in this game - sure they beat Ball St, but the MAC's terrible, and then Liberty fell to Robert Morris of all teams. JMU meanwhile has been riding the high life, still basking in the Va Tech upset. The game shouldn't be a contest - JMU should put 40 up in the first half. However, I don't think either extreme is real - Liberty isn't that bad and JMU isn't that good. I like Dudzik at QB as he steadies the offense, but I'm not sold on the JMU D yet and this is a trap game for JMU with UD coming up next week and now the reduced expectations of Liberty following their shocking loss last week. I think JMU struggles early from the week off and the overlooking of Liberty, but they pull it together at the end to escape a scare.

I don't necessarily disagree with your predictions, although I think W&M will pull it out in the end... I don't think you've seen any of these teams actually play. Not taking anything away from JMU, a win is a win, but there was nothing special about their performance against Tech, except Dudzik. Liberty didn't look great against Robert Morris, but they have the athletes (see Brown and Summers) to hang with just about anybody. ODU, playing at home in front of 20k, has benefited from a host of quality transfers with significant playing experience, some in the CAA. They will surprise many people next year, as they are not quite the typical 2nd year program. W&M will continue to perform below expectations this year, but like Liberty, have the athletes plus coaching to still be a significant threat. I honestly know nothing about Maine outside the boxscores, but they seem to be in a similar position as W&M. xtwocentsx

Oldhen
September 22nd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Not to quibble too much, but you guys beat us in Newark in '07. Flacco lost in Harrisonburg in '06.

My bad. How could I have forgotten that game.

JMUNJ08
September 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
And as for 11/6, new stadium, new streak...especially since that is the game where we change standard attire from red sweater vests to red wife beater tees. xlolx

Don't you get kicked out of school / buying season tickets if you don't show up in a polo, slacks, sweater and loafers to every game?

rufus
September 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM

Your not sold on our defense? Really? I still have concerns about the JMU team, but my concerns relate more to the offense. Our O-line is thin, and we're playing without our #2 QB, Thorpe, who was intended to be an important part of this year's offense. Thorpe was supposed to be our wildcat guy, and now that entire aspect of our offense is in doubt. If Dudzik gets hurt, we end up playing a true freshman QB. Depth on offense is a major concern.

As for the defense, I don't really understand the doubt. Our defense held VT to a single touchdown, while the Hokies managed four TDs against Boise State and seven TDs against ECU. JMU's D also absolutely smothered Morehead State, as expected. I guess we'll see, but offense remains my concern.

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
UMass 42 @ Stony Brook 24: UMass could run the risk of a big letdown after a good effort in the Big House last week, but they can run the ball with the new RB and they'll run the ball all day against an overmatched SB team. If you can put the game in Havens hands I think you can beat UMass, but that won't happen this week.

I know Havens did not impress anyone last season...but if you check his stats for the three games so far, I think you will see a totally different QB...

I was one who strongly questioned Coach Morris for staying with him coming into this season...but so far, he has proven me wrong (and I'm thrilled)...

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
I know Havens did not impress anyone last season...but if you check his stats for the three games so far, I think you will see a totally different QB...

I was one who strongly questioned Coach Morris for staying with him coming into this season...but so far, he has proven me wrong (and I'm thrilled)...

I've seen the stats and I saw the first game - we'll see. People can and do improve, and there's no reason why Havens can't be one of those guys. And having a real good running game, like he does this year, helps as well.

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with your predictions, although I think W&M will pull it out in the end... I don't think you've seen any of these teams actually play. Not taking anything away from JMU, a win is a win, but there was nothing special about their performance against Tech, except Dudzik. Liberty didn't look great against Robert Morris, but they have the athletes (see Brown and Summers) to hang with just about anybody. ODU, playing at home in front of 20k, has benefited from a host of quality transfers with significant playing experience, some in the CAA. They will surprise many people next year, as they are not quite the typical 2nd year program. W&M will continue to perform below expectations this year, but like Liberty, have the athletes plus coaching to still be a significant threat. I honestly know nothing about Maine outside the boxscores, but they seem to be in a similar position as W&M. xtwocentsx

Well, I haven't actually seen Maine play this year, but I did see W&M play in the UMass game and I saw JMU play in the Va Tech game. That's certainly enough to make message board picks off of. And as for ODU, they still did lose to Jacksonville (not the State version either) - I certainly think they could've gotten really hyped for playing W&M, and while they'll be a good addition to the CAA, it's not good for W&M that last week's game was that close.

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Your not sold on our defense? Really? I still have concerns about the JMU team, but my concerns relate more to the offense. Our O-line is thin, and we're playing without our #2 QB, Thorpe, who was intended to be an important part of this year's offense. Thorpe was supposed to be our wildcat guy, and now that entire aspect of our offense is in doubt. If Dudzik gets hurt, we end up playing a true freshman QB. Depth on offense is a major concern.

As for the defense, I don't really understand the doubt. Our defense held VT to a single touchdown, while the Hokies managed four TDs against Boise State and seven TDs against ECU. JMU's D also absolutely smothered Morehead State, as expected. I guess we'll see, but offense remains my concern.

Come on - Morehead St got drilled by Dayton, who lost to Duquesne, who in turn got drilled by UD, and no one is trying to say that UD beating Duquesne is worth a lot of beans. Sure, JMU played well against Va Tech, but even a reasonable person is going to agree that Va Tech, on a short week after pretty much having the air leaked from their season with that loss, may not have been playing at their best, especially with the rain. JMU got some important turnovers and that helped. But defense was a big question mark for JMU coming into the season, and since Morehead was a scrimmage and Va Tech is one isolated game, I'm going to still say I'm not sold on them. Put a hurting on Liberty and I may come around.

URMite
September 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
Don't you get kicked out of school / buying season tickets if you don't show up in a polo, slacks, sweater and loafers to every game?

I certainly hope not...I've been showing up in my $4 UR Tee from Walmart from time to time for over a year now. I'd hate to lose my ticks tix after 25+ yrs...Or maybe it's just me - there are not many alumni who were a richmond native & a commuter.

The wife beaters were a joke on the UR board but I just can't get the pic of a bunch of 75 yr old alumni in them out of my head...and believe me I've tried. I think it would leave opposing fans speechless in real life.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
UNH 28 - Lehigh 13 - UNH has no choice but to rebound from that embarrassing loss to URI.

Towson 37 - Columbia 14 - Tigers start to play better with a win against the Lions. On a side note, when are we going to have a school with a Liger mascot?

Richmond 28 - Delaware 21 - 2 OT's - If Devlin was completely healthy I would have this the other way.

JMU 32 - Liberty 21 - Could be closer than this, but the crowd will be loud in Harrisonburg and should help the Dukes.

W&M 17 - Maine 7 - Can the Tribe turn this season around?

UMass 21 - Stony Brook 14 - TRAP GAME!!! UMass gets a scare on Long Island. (Very scary place if you have ever had to spend a lot of time there)

Villanova 34 - Penn 21 - I like Penn, but I like 'Nova more.

ODU 21 - Monmouth 17 - ODU almost got the Tribe last week. They have a lot of confidence now and will win this one.

Georgia State 28 - Campbell 14 - Campbell loses to another pre-CAA team.

URMite
September 22nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Richmond 28 - Delaware 21 - 2 OT's - If Devlin was completely healthy I would have this the other way.

Good thing we have a 90% win rate in OT all-time...

Old Cage
September 22nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
OMG - EZ predicted that is own team wins a game. Argh!!!!!!!!!

umassfan
September 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM
I've seen the stats and I saw the first game - we'll see. People can and do improve, and there's no reason why Havens can't be one of those guys. And having a real good running game, like he does this year, helps as well.

You should watch the Mich game.... I think it would change your opinions of him.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
I know Cage! Crazy right? But I did pick us to win the Holy Cross game, so I don't think this jinxing anything.

GannonFan
September 22nd, 2010, 03:40 PM
You should watch the Mich game.... I think it would change your opinions of him.

Like I said, time will tell - and it's not like Michigan has been a beast on pass defense this year - ND lit them up through the air (and that was with Crist on the sideline for half the game) and even UConn had more yds per completion than UMass did. Heck, Temple absolutely dominated and shut down UConn's passing game so you have to wonder if even Temple has a better pass D than Michigan. Michigan is winning with their all-world QB right now, not a stiff defense.

jmufan999
September 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM
I have got to continue the disbelief in JMU fan responses so far...Here are excerpts from both of them:

“…i don't see the spiders winning that game. but i would love it.

i got quoted, woo! but really, it's more about my hatred of delaware than my love of UR. i actually don't really have much of a problem with UR, except the whole "you're-stealing-our-streamer-idea" thing that i've heard. i can't confirm that, just a rumor i heard. i actually don't REALLY have a problem with delaware either, but since we don't have a TRUE rival, i picked them. they're much more "like" us than W&M/UR (enrollment, stadium size, etc.).

URMite
September 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
i got quoted, woo! but really, it's more about my hatred of delaware than my love of UR. i actually don't really have much of a problem with UR, except the whole "you're-stealing-our-streamer-idea" thing that i've heard. i can't confirm that, just a rumor i heard. i actually don't REALLY have a problem with delaware either, but since we don't have a TRUE rival, i picked them. they're much more "like" us than W&M/UR (enrollment, stadium size, etc.).

Actually, I think the alumni did a collective forehead slap when they read that at the website. But I didn't see it happen at the game. Maybe on the made field goal (that didn't exist) to take the lead, but if so I missed it.

JMad03
September 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM
Lehigh @ UNH -UNH gets back on track with a convincing win
Towson @ Columbia -Towson wins against a team they actually have a chance of beating
Delaware @ Richmond - Game of the week in CAA- Close one, but Richmond pulls out the win
William & Mary @ Maine - I think this game will be within a score and W&M squeaks out with another close win
Liberty @ JMU - Bye week brings JMU back to earth and Liberty reeling from loss to RMU. JMU wins by 2+ TDs
Massachusetts @ Stony Brook - UMASS is the real deal this year. Should be over before the half.
Penn @ Villanova - Same goes for Villanova, should be over early.

bleedblue
September 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
UNH in a must-win situation 24-14
Towson enjoys playing the rare weaker opponent 17-10
Delaware pounds the ball down Richmond's throat 23-17
William and Mary ends a tough week of practice 28-20
JMU survives at home 20-17
UMass (at Stony Brook?) 34-10
Penn in the upset 21-20

Did you pick the Dukes last week over UD and now you take UD over a very good CAA team in their house? Wow.

Anyway

Lehigh 2-1 @ UNH 1-2
Liberty 2-1 @ JMU 2-0
Penn 1-0 @ Villanova 2-1

UD keeps it close, like last year, but loose in the end, like last year. The thing that has to change this week for UD's Defense is they must get pressure on the their xfer QB or he will pick us apart. If we play like we have been and get pressure on the QB we will win. The thing is we have not rushed the QB well this year so far. Let's hope for some creative blitz packages.

BigHouseClosedEnd
September 22nd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Actually, I think the alumni did a collective forehead slap when they read that at the website. But I didn't see it happen at the game. Maybe on the made field goal (that didn't exist) to take the lead, but if so I missed it.

Yes, it happened. And it did spur some Face-palming.

This situation WILL be eradicated.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
This situation WILL be eradicated.

If only we could really eradicate The Situation.
http://thequickanddirtydirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Mike-the-Situation.jpg

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 22nd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Lehigh 14 @ UNH 38. xnodx UNH season is literally on the bubble. 'Cats respond with convincing Defense at home.
Towson 17 @ Columbia 14. xrotatehx Towson and the CAA is better than Lions and the Ivy Group.
Delaware 24 @ Richmond 30 xsmiley_wix Game of the Week. Home field gives Spiders the win in OT
William & Mary 17 @ Maine 20. xshhhx Upset special. Mr. Turcotte and home game give Maine the BIG win.
Liberty 14 @ JMU 42. xlolx JMU is simply too much for this Big South franchise.
Massachusetts 38 @ Stony Brook 21. xeyebrowx Eddie Gowins proves his worth, but UMASS avoids the trap game and wins handily.
Penn 7 @ Villanova 28 . ;) CAA (& nation's) best is simply better than Ivy best.

JMUNJ08
September 22nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
The wife beaters were a joke on the UR board but I just can't get the pic of a bunch of 75 yr old alumni in them out of my head...and believe me I've tried. I think it would leave opposing fans speechless in real life.

Now you've ruined the rest of my week! Wish I could see that game on TV so I can (hopefully) not see them in some beaters...

WildCat In The Hat
September 23rd, 2010, 12:04 AM
This is what makes the CAA the best conference in FCS-and we are just getting started.

caribbeanhen
September 23rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
hen fans very optimistic going into this game and rightfully so, for sure it will be a hard fought game but some notes for Spider fans:

#30 - you better watch him all day becasue Delaware has a RB again...
this will be the best D he has seen but in the end, he will get his yards

The Delaware D has not given up a TD to this point - I am not predicting that will be the case this week, but the Def is solid and 2 deep at most positions - you will be able to move the ball, but Delaware has been tough in the Redzone

hopefully, the game does not come down to a FG... If so, It will be tough to watch

final score
Delaware 24
Spiders - 20

EmeryZach
September 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Still really bummed that I can't find any tickets to the Delaware @ Richmond game Saturday. I am going to literally be driving right through Richmond. Bummer.

If any of you Richmond guys have two tickets you don't need just PM me.

GeeWiz
September 24th, 2010, 09:59 PM
UNH 30 Lehigh 14 - Durham Cats have too much offense for decent Patriot League team
Towson 31 Columbia 21 - Tigers hold off Lions in a game that's closer than everyone thinks
UD 34 Richmond 28 - Blue Chickens come from behind to steal one from Spiders
Maine 28 W&M 24 - Dirty Cubs pull out a home win against the Tribe
JMU 35 Liberty 20 - Dukes stay on a roll with an easy win over the Flames
UMass 38 Stony Brook 24 - Wolves put up a fight but Minutemen running game too tough to stop
'Nova 34 Penn 17 - Philly Cats have too much talent for a very good Ivy team

and in the big two ...

ODU 31 Monmouth 24 - Monarchs struggle on the road against a decent NEC team
Campbell 35 GSU 31 - Panthers drop a close one in their first road game

Rob Iola
September 24th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Did you pick the Dukes last week over UD and now you take UD over a very good CAA team in their house? Wow.

Last week was a classic trap game with daHenz going with their backup QB. Obviously Richmond's at a completely different level than Dusquesne, but this is the game Delaware's had circled on their calendar for quite some time. They've got the talent to beat any team in FCS; motivation's the key (and no injury bug).

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM
No way Georgia State loses to Campbell. They should win it easy. Campbell is not a good football team this year.

Sam Adams
September 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Richmond & UD are going at hit !!! Great hard hitting CAA game I am thinking UD finds a way to win in a close game. But I am very impressed by both teams.

GeeWiz
September 25th, 2010, 10:14 PM
No way Georgia State loses to Campbell. They should win it easy. Campbell is not a good football team this year.

GSU won by three 24-21. Not such a easy win.

rufus
September 26th, 2010, 10:59 AM
You're not sold on our defense? Really? I still have concerns about the JMU team, but my concerns relate more to the offense. Our O-line is thin, and we're playing without our #2 QB, Thorpe, who was intended to be an important part of this year's offense. Thorpe was supposed to be our wildcat guy, and now that entire aspect of our offense is in doubt. If Dudzik gets hurt, we end up playing a true freshman QB. Depth on offense is a major concern.

Come on - Morehead St got drilled by Dayton, who lost to Duquesne, who in turn got drilled by UD, and no one is trying to say that UD beating Duquesne is worth a lot of beans. Sure, JMU played well against Va Tech, but even a reasonable person is going to agree that Va Tech, on a short week after pretty much having the air leaked from their season with that loss, may not have been playing at their best, especially with the rain. JMU got some important turnovers and that helped. But defense was a big question mark for JMU coming into the season, and since Morehead was a scrimmage and Va Tech is one isolated game, I'm going to still say I'm not sold on them. Put a hurting on Liberty and I may come around.

Still not convinced about JMU's defense? In our first three games, our first team defense has allowed a combined total of one touchdown against a cupcake, a ranked FBS team, and a ranked FCS team. (Our third team defense allowed a 4th quarter garbage time touchdown against Morehead State.)

Take a look at scoring by game for each of our three opponents...

MOREHEARD STATE:
JMU - 7
St. Francis - 31
Dayton - 28
Marist - 45

VIRGINIA TECH:
Boise State - 30
JMU - 16
ECU - 49
BC - 19

LIBERTY:
St. Francis - 52
Ball State - 27
Robert Morris - 23
JMU - 3

After last night's game, I'm more concerned than ever about our offense, but our defense still looks solid.

JMUNJ08
September 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
If I had to pick based on the lines:
UNH -15 vs. Lehigh
Towson -2.5 @ Columbia
Richmond -4 vs. Delaware
JMU -18 vs. Liberty
W&M -6 @ Maine
UMass -17 @ Stony Brook
Villanova -17 vs. Penn

However, lets see if I can get to .500 in CAA play and continue a strong OOC showing...Good slate of games with less and less easy ones. Here's what I see:

Lehigh @ UNH
UNH is coming off a BAD, BAD, I mean BAD loss to URI and now sit at 1-2 with all the tough CAA games ahead after the supposed gimme. Lehigh comes in with a chance to improve an OOC resume that many considered rather challenging at the beginning of the season. A win over a bad UNH team would help in the end but is UNH really bad this year? I don't think so and even though Lehigh is a decent team they picked the wrong weekend to check out the foliage in New England.
Lehigh 17 @ UNH 38xbowx

Towson @ Columbia
The Ivies have finally started playing! The CAA rarely gets this kind of game (URI/Brown the only 1 I think of) as they stick to the NEC/PL foes for there few OOC bouts. Towson is still a bottom dweller in the CAA but could be rather competitive in most other conferences. Columbia is one that will see that on Saturday.
Towson 24 @ Columbia 18xbangx

Delaware @ Richmond
The second heavy weight bout of the year in the CAA (no one had W&M/UMass as 1 to start the season). UR is coming off a big win to open the new campus stadium and UD is one of the few FCS teams sitting at 3-0. UD has had some nice wins but haven't went to a hostile area like UR yet this season. Delvin needs to show his injury won't hurt the Hens but I think UR will again find a way to squeak a win out at home.
UD 17 @ UR 26xbangxxbangx

Liberty @ JMU
Just a week ago this was going to be a heavy weight battle to top all previous years. 2 undefeated teams with FBS wins in a key OOC battle with playoff implications. Now, a loss to Robert Morris seems to have changed everyone's opinion except mine. JMU has had a week off to enjoy the VT win and get back on track while Liberty didn't play up to their full potential a week ago in the classic trap game. JMU at home in front of a now more voracious crowd (is that possible?!?) should be the one key factor. Sagarian gives 3 points for the home team? That sounds about right in another great game between these two.
Liberty 28 @ JMU 31xhurrayxxeyebrowx

W&M @ Maine
Each team had high expectations from the offseason which have dwindled mightily except for W&M's ranking and TSN Bracket Projection. This game will let us know if either is for real this year. Probably the biggest toss up game of the weekend as no one knows who or if anyone is going to show up and play.
W&M 27 @ Maine 20xbowxxbowx

UMass @ Stony Brook
Another nice OOC game for the Big South and one of its pre-season favorites. However, a relatively even match pre-season looks like a huge mismatch just 3 games in. UMass has been VERY impressive and showed the country they may be here for the long haul by hanging around vs. Michigan in the Big House in front of more fans than nearly all the FCS teams will see total for their home games. Stony Brook has stumbled out of the gates and needs this to rebound before the Big South starts up soon. Though UMass should take this easily.
UMass 37 @ Stony Brook 21xbowx

Villanova @ UPenn
Nova 34 @ UPenn 16xbowx

5-2 for week 4
1-1 in conference

Who knew Columbia was so good?

caribbeanhen
September 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Things look fairly easy to call this week, except the Towson-Columbia battle.

Richmond 31 Delaware 17 Still not sold on UD lines.

I know your feeling better about the lines now

Uncle Buck
September 27th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I have to come on here and tip my cap to the newly adopted Seawolves of SBU. I didn't give them a chance, but ****, they ran over and around UMass. Unfortunately, the minutemen did the same thing but they also threw all over SBU. In the end though, the SBU QB proved to be the weak link missing open receivers late in the game and taking a terrible sack on the second to last series . Either way, it was a game that i didn't intend to stay at for the full 60, but it really was a hell of a game.