PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton watch list

udchuck
September 21st, 2010, 09:04 AM
Any one following this list ?What's happening ? I've been out of town. It seems to be quiet on the discussion board. Of coarse it is awful early in the season.

udchuck
September 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
It's a shame about Pat Devlin, (wrist on non throwing arm) I hope he gets back on the field this week.from what i've read he should play.xhurrayx

Rob Iola
September 21st, 2010, 10:36 AM
It's a shame about Pat Devlin, (wrist on non throwing arm) I hope he gets back on the field this week.from what i've read he should play.xhurrayx

Devlin - isn't he the one who hands the rock to AP on most weekends?

mcveyrl
September 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM
Devlin - isn't he the one who hands the rock to AP on most weekends?

Oh snap!!

How pissed is Devlin that he was going to have the signature "second year UD QB breakout" and then this punk freshman comes along to steal the show!!??

Fear the Bird
September 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM
the signature "second year UD QB breakout" and then this punk freshman comes along to steal the show!!??

All but Sonny Riccio - man I couldn't stand that kid

Will be interesting to see AP run against Richmond and JMU - although I think the O-Line has as much to do with his success as the competition to this point

GannonFan
September 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Oh snap!!

How pissed is Devlin that he was going to have the signature "second year UD QB breakout" and then this punk freshman comes along to steal the show!!??

Well, Devlin wasn't getting the Payton Award anyway - transfers need not apply (for reference, see how Joe Flacco couldn't even make the final voting list for the Payton when he was a senior - you know, the same year he took the Hens to Chattanooga and then a few months later was an NFL first round pick - yeah, there were 4-5 FCS QB's on the final voting list ahead of him - sure.).

GannonFan
September 21st, 2010, 11:08 AM
All but Sonny Riccio - man I couldn't stand that kid

Will be interesting to see AP run against Richmond and JMU - although I think the O-Line has as much to do with his success as the competition to this point

Gotta cut Sonny some slack - he lost his top 2 WR's (all-conference guys) before the season started, then lost the next 2 WR's during the year (so all top 4 WR's were gone), Omar got hurt during the year so they played without Cuff and even when he did play he was hobbled, and the offensive line had to start a true freshman only after another true freshman who was going to start got hurt. And they played the entire JMU game (a win mind you) without a place kicker (just went for 2 all the time). Riccio actually played well that year despite the MASH list and in '04 UD would've won the title had KC and the OC let Omar touch the ball at least once in the 4th quarter of that W&M game - Riccio wasn't calling the plays then.

Fear the Bird
September 21st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Gotta cut Sonny some slack - he lost his top 2 WR's (all-conference guys) before the season started, then lost the next 2 WR's during the year (so all top 4 WR's were gone), Omar got hurt during the year so they played without Cuff and even when he did play he was hobbled, and the offensive line had to start a true freshman only after another true freshman who was going to start got hurt. And they played the entire JMU game (a win mind you) without a place kicker (just went for 2 all the time). Riccio actually played well that year despite the MASH list and in '04 UD would've won the title had KC and the OC let Omar touch the ball at least once in the 4th quarter of that W&M game - Riccio wasn't calling the plays then.

All valid points - I think I was younger at the time and expected the world of a D1 transfer following the success of Andy Hall. I still remember that out pattern around midfield that W&M took back to the house like it was yesterday, gives me chills. First play of the 4th quarter I believe.

biggie
September 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM
Devon Moore is off to a slow start due to being out the first game and too many other good running backs (along with 2 games of blowouts). Though DeAndre Presley and/or Brian Quick may be on the list later, which may hurt having mulitple players from one team on the watch list.

100%GRIZ
September 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
Taiwan Jones of Eastern Washington is a total Stud - Enough said! 221 rushing yards against the Griz!

mcveyrl
September 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
Well, Devlin wasn't getting the Payton Award anyway - transfers need not apply (for reference, see how Joe Flacco couldn't even make the final voting list for the Payton when he was a senior - you know, the same year he took the Hens to Chattanooga and then a few months later was an NFL first round pick - yeah, there were 4-5 FCS QB's on the final voting list ahead of him - sure.).

I think Cuff had something to do with that too. I know this was discussed then, but it might be applicable this year. Is there a rule about teammates being on the final ballot or is it just "frowned upon"? Like not having 7 wins is "frowned upon" by the committee.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
I think Cuff had something to do with that too. I know this was discussed then, but it might be applicable this year. Is there a rule about teammates being on the final ballot or is it just "frowned upon"? Like not having 7 wins is "frowned upon" by the committee.

That could've been a reason, but then that reason wasn't in play when David Ball and Ricky Santos were both up for the award. IMO, there's no reason to play with the ballots - let the best players be on the list and let the chips fall where they may. It's just embarassing when the top offensive award for our level somehow excludes a top QB from one of the schools in the national title game, when he was a big factor getting them there, and then the same QB is the 15th overall pick in the NFL draft. It just speaks to the politics of the award (I thought that kid from UNI was a good QB, but seeing him on the field with Flacco was just night and day in terms of talent - and yet Sanders made the list and Flacco didn't.)

umassfan
September 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM
I dont expect to see a freshman running back on this list. Usually the list is full of upper classmen.

mcveyrl
September 21st, 2010, 02:24 PM
That could've been a reason, but then that reason wasn't in play when David Ball and Ricky Santos were both up for the award. IMO, there's no reason to play with the ballots - let the best players be on the list and let the chips fall where they may. It's just embarassing when the top offensive award for our level somehow excludes a top QB from one of the schools in the national title game, when he was a big factor getting them there, and then the same QB is the 15th overall pick in the NFL draft. It just speaks to the politics of the award (I thought that kid from UNI was a good QB, but seeing him on the field with Flacco was just night and day in terms of talent - and yet Sanders made the list and Flacco didn't.)

Oh yea, I forgot about Ball/Santos. I agree about Flacco. Should've at least been on the ballot.

GannonFan
September 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM
I dont expect to see a freshman running back on this list. Usually the list is full of upper classmen.

Well, if he continues at the clip he's at now, he'll be a lock for the list and could win it. It would be hard keeping out a CAA RB, going against CAA defenses, on a top team, that also could be leading the entire FCS in rushing out of the award. With that said, although I hope he continues his rate and while I think he's a fantastic back, I do see him putting up lesser numbers going forward.

superman7515
September 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
I actually hope his numbers start to go down a bit. I want him to survive all four years. Haha.

PhoenixMan
September 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
Keep an eye Scott Riddle as the numbers and records (the few he doesn't already hold) fall as the season goes along.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
Taiwan Jones numbers through 3 games:

Rushing
-53 carries for 455 yards, 8.6 ypc
-3 TDs
-2 70+ yd. plays

Receiving
-9 receptions for 215 yards, 23.9 avg
-2 TDs

All-purpose
-862 yards, 287.3/game avg.

xnodx

bluehenbillk
September 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Has a freshman ever won the award? How high was Armanti Edwards as a freshman in the voting?

Saint3333
September 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM
The first two years of AE's college career he was not eligible due to the minimum games played rule. If he had played in one more game the 2007 season we might be talking about the three time winner of the award.

I expect Presley to be a finalist if he continues to produce 300+ yard games. Quick however is the best player on the field for ASU, just too many double teams that leave Cline, CoCo, Jorden, etc. open for him to put up better numbers.

JMUNJ08
September 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
Nothing on the JMU front as we don't put the rock in one guys hands for the whole game. Dudzik gets the job done and will have decent numbers but not the WP award kind...

Grimes has fallen off big time too hasn't he? Not really heard anything good out of the W&M camp so far through 3 games...

tandemlax
September 21st, 2010, 05:32 PM
Grimes has been very solid- same hard runner we've come to expect. First truly explosive run was last weekend for a 30ish yd score- a few really nice cuts. I think offensive line play- both run and pass blocking had been a trouble spot early for the tribe. More cohesive O-line play will equate to more big plays from Grimes. Right now he's somewhere around 85 yds per game with an average of 4.5 ypc or so. Off the top of my head so might be a bit off.

Mr. C
September 21st, 2010, 05:57 PM
The first two years of AE's college career he was not eligible due to the minimum games played rule. If he had played in one more game the 2007 season we might be talking about the three time winner of the award.

I expect Presley to be a finalist if he continues to produce 300+ yard games. Quick however is the best player on the field for ASU, just too many double teams that leave Cline, CoCo, Jorden, etc. open for him to put up better numbers.
There were no "minimum games played" rules for the Payton Award in either of Edwards' first two years (or any other year, for that matter). The Payton is a regular season award and Edwards really didn't capture national attention as a freshman until the playoffs. He also had Kevin Richardson on the ballot in both of those years. As a sophomore, Edwards missed a bunch of time in the regular season, due to injury. Again, he turned it on in the playoffs. There was no way he would have beaten out winners Ricky Santos, or Jayson Foster in either of those years anyway.

AxeEmJacks
September 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and mention Jeremy Moses. He's on track to hold the all-time records in many categories in the Southland conference before the end of this season.

Nick
September 21st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Being a coach, after watching UD's three games, and after having spoken to a couple college coaches who's team has had to play against Andrew Pierce this season I feel comfortable in saying that AP seems to be the real deal. They've all said that he's a big time back with great quickness and vision and that "bigger" schools missed on him. UD's offensive line is good, not great and he's been running with 8 or 9 men in the box... Thats just scary good natural ability! I don't think he'll win the Walter Payton Award but he is fun to watch and he appears to only be getting better each and every week.

UNH Fanboi
September 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Does anyone else think it's a little bit presumptuous for people to be calling Andrew Pierce "AP" considering that (a) he's only played 3 games and (b) the best running back in football is also called "AP"?

Nick
September 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
Does anyone else think it's a little bit presumptuous for people to be calling Andrew Pierce "AP" considering that (a) he's only played 3 games and (b) the best running back in football is also called "AP"?

Adrian Peterson's nickname is AD for "All Day". Besides, Chris Johnson's the best back in football xsmiley_wix. I think people are calling him AD because it's an easy abbreviation... atleast that why I did it.

McNeese75
September 21st, 2010, 09:31 PM
At this point in time I would go with T. Jones from EWU

MR. CHICKEN
September 21st, 2010, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=UNH Fanboi;1557053]Does anyone else think it's a little bit presumptuous for people to be calling Andrew Pierce "AP" considering that (a) he's only played 3 games and (b) the best running back in football is also [B]called "AP"?

A.P..........HAS BECOME...DUH NOMENCLATURE.....FO' ANYONE ON DUH GRID-IRON.....WHOSE INITIALS...HAPPEN TA BE A.P.........WHO IS SHOWIN' SIGNS.....O' PROMISE.......(ANDREW PIERCE)......LET PECKERHEADS HAVE DEY'RE FUN.......HAS SHOWN GREATNESS.......(ADRIAN PETERSON/GEORGIA SOUFFERN).......(ADRIAN PETERSON/OKLAHOMA).......PERSONALLY FO' DUH CHICKEN.......AH WANTS TA SEE ANDY......GET TOP DUCATS REALESTATE.......AGIN' SOME MEANIN'FUL D'S........AS MANY HAVE BASHED DUH HENS OOC SKED.......FO' BEIN' BIG SKY LIKE!........IT'S JES' UH FUN TWIST......ON DUH OKIES A.P.....SLOGAN IFIN' YA WILL.......FOOTBALL SHOOD BE FUN....HUH..xconfusedx.................BRAWK!!

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2010, 07:57 AM

We'll wait and see on Presley.

Adam Mims might be a name worth being on there. If he can put up 200 yards receiving against South Carolina, odds are he can be successful against the lesser defenses in the SoCon. I doubt he'll get enough touches for staggering yard totals, though. Furman has too many good running backs, plenty of good receivers, and teams are going to make stopping Mims their sole focus on defense.

asknoquarter21
September 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
There were no "minimum games played" rules for the Payton Award in either of Edwards' first two years (or any other year, for that matter). The Payton is a regular season award and Edwards really didn't capture national attention as a freshman until the playoffs. He also had Kevin Richardson on the ballot in both of those years. As a sophomore, Edwards missed a bunch of time in the regular season, due to injury. Again, he turned it on in the playoffs. There was no way he would have beaten out winners Ricky Santos, or Jayson Foster in either of those years anyway.

I agree with you on him not being able to beat out Santos or Foster. 2007 had he stayed healthy he would have had the chance given the hype after an opening week upset of an FBS team and the hype he got with that, but he just simply didn't play enough that season to put up the numbers needed to be in that race.

appfan2008
September 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Brian Quick was on pace to be added but a 0 reception game hurts that... There is no reason DeAndre should not be added... absolute stud so far...