PDA

View Full Version : University of Richmond 2006 Schedule

bostonspider
January 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM
2006 Richmond Spider Football Schedule
Date Opponent Location
Sept. 2 at Duke Durham, N.C.
Sept. 16 VMI (Family Weekend) Richmond, Va.
Sept. 23 Bucknell Richmond, Va.
Sept. 30 *Northeastern Richmond, Va.
Oct. 7 *at New Hampshire Durham, N.H.
Oct. 14 *at Rhode Island Kingston, R.I.
Oct. 21 *Delaware Richmond, Va.
Oct. 28 *James Madison (Homecoming) Richmond, Va.
Nov. 4 *at Villanova Villanova, Pa.
Nov. 11 *Towson Richmond, Va.
Nov. 18 *at William & Mary Williamsburg, Va.

I like this schedule for the Spiders this year...

Sly Fox
January 30th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I wish we could find a way onto your schedule. But with only three non-conference slots I understand.

bostonspider
January 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Well I am not sure why we play a Patriot League team every year. We do not have much of a connection with any of the league's teams. A Virginia school might be better from an attendance standpoint. We could cycle between Hampton and Liberty, continue to schedule our 1 ACC school and VMI.

colgate13
January 30th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Well I am not sure why we play a Patriot League team every year. We do not have much of a connection with any of the league's teams. A Virginia school might be better from an attendance standpoint. We could cycle between Hampton and Liberty, continue to schedule our 1 ACC school and VMI.

Yet... ;) :eek: :)

Marcus Garvey
January 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM
2006 Richmond Spider Football Schedule
Date Opponent Location
Sept. 2 at Duke Durham, N.C.
Sept. 16 VMI (Family Weekend) Richmond, Va.
Sept. 23 Bucknell Richmond, Va.
Sept. 30 *Northeastern Richmond, Va.
Oct. 7 *at New Hampshire Durham, N.H.
Oct. 14 *at Rhode Island Kingston, R.I.
Oct. 21 *Delaware Richmond, Va.
Oct. 28 *James Madison (Homecoming) Richmond, Va.
Nov. 4 *at Villanova Villanova, Pa.
Nov. 11 *Towson Richmond, Va.
Nov. 18 *at William & Mary Williamsburg, Va.

I like this schedule for the Spiders this year...

Impressive schedule. I see that there are no I-A teams on it this year, so 11-0 is a possibility! ;)

Go...gate
January 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help thinking that the high-water mark for Richmond's chances of joining the PL was last summer. :(

In any event, it is a nice schedule. Good luck to the Spiders!!!

bostonspider
January 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Unless the CAA kicks UR out, I don't see them making a change to the PL ever. I think that ship has sailed, and now so has the UR President who was trying to steer it... Not that I would have minded playing such like minded academic schools.

Go...gate
January 30th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Did UR's president resign?

bostonspider
January 30th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Yes he did. It is effective, either June 2007, or whenever they hire a new president, which ever comes first. Most alums are pretty happy about his leaving.

LBPop
January 30th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't help thinking that the high-water mark for Richmond's chances of joining the PL was last summer. :(

Had the opportunity to speak at length with a prominent Richmond Alum and former football player. He characterized the Alumni as being strongly against them joining the PL. The two arguments are not new: 1) Doesn't really save money; 2) It's a drop in level of competition. He was obviously glad that the idea never flew. He also implied that some regular contributors would stop opening their checkbooks should the switch be made.

Having said all that, Richmond would be a great fit in the PL if they wanted to make the move. Might make travel a bit costly to Colgate and Holy Cross, but what a perfect geographic rival for Georgetown. Just dreaming, I guess. :rolleyes:

colgate13
January 30th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I'm holding out the possibility that a few CAA associates will need a home in a few years... but that's just my personal feeling. We'll see!

DTSpider
January 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Impressive schedule. I see that there are no I-A teams on it this year, so 11-0 is a possibility! ;)

Duke may be the doormat, but they still are in the ACC.

Pard4Life
January 30th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Bucknell might not be that bad of a team to schedule. They have name recognition now thanks to the NCAA basketball miracle. Their football teams are competitive most years.

Sly Fox
January 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Hey now, Colgate13. The Big South needs those refugees more than you do.

ChickenMan
January 31st, 2006, 05:39 AM

I don't think so... UR loses their top player QB Stacy Tutt and they won't be sneaking up on anyone in the conference this year. Plus... the A10 schedule will be the normal meat grinder and it will take it's toll on the Spiders and everyone else in the league. 8-3 would be a good year for UR and even that will be difficult..

JoltinJoe
January 31st, 2006, 05:59 AM
Yes he did. It is effective, either June 2007, or whenever they hire a new president, which ever comes first. Most alums are pretty happy about his leaving.

I'd guess the mush .... I mean the alums, were pretty insulted by the president's comments. xlolx

A buddy of mine with Richmond ties filled me in. Tough to insult the alums and then ask them for money, I would guess :nod:

University president who called students 'mush' to step down (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/12/university.richmond.ap/?section=cnn_education)

"The entering quality of our student body needs to be much higher if we are going to transform bright minds into great achievers instead of transforming mush into mush, and I mean it," he said.

LUHawker
January 31st, 2006, 08:47 AM
Bucknell might not be that bad of a team to schedule. They have name recognition now thanks to the NCAA basketball miracle. Their football teams are competitive most years.

What years are those? Bucknell FB has been atrocious the last 5+ years even though they seem to give the Leopards fits.

colgate13
January 31st, 2006, 09:43 AM
What years are those? Bucknell FB has been atrocious the last 5+ years even though they seem to give the Leopards fits.

BU stunk it up last year but that's a little harsh.

2005: 1-10
2004: 7-4
2003: 6-6
2002: 2-9
2001: 6-4

That's three winning seasons out of the past 5, and don't forget they were dealing with a head coach's death early in that period.

I can see based on the way they've played Lehigh you would think they are horrible. LU vs. BU:

2005: 42-10 - yes, atrocious
2004: 40-17 - yes, atrocious
2003: 45-9 - yes, atrocious
2002: 24-0 - yes, atrocious
2001: 21-14 - close one

But still, in general they have been a middle of the pack PL team.

Marcus Garvey
January 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM
Duke may be the doormat, but they still are in the ACC.
No, I stand by my original statement!!!! xlolx

As a sidenote: I said it two years ago, and I'll say it again: Duke screwed up by not hiring Biddle. They took the easy way out and hired their interim coach because he won a couple of games. I'm not saying that Biddle would have been more successful, but Roof assured failure. He was part of the same staff and culture that has bred nothing but losing. There's no reason to think his becomming head coach would change that.

Frankly, if the adminstration at Duke is not going to take football seriously, they ought to drop the sport. Why do something at all if you're not even going to try?

colgate13
January 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM
As a sidenote: I said it two years ago, and I'll say it again: Duke screwed up by not hiring Biddle.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! !!!!!

BTW, I don't have a link anymore, but Biddle was quoted in the Utica paper after getting his contract extension that he was happy to finish his career here and that Duke was the only interview he's gone on. He then pointed out that Duke still isn't winning and left it at that! For him, that was a subtle jab and his alma mater!

Pard4Life
January 31st, 2006, 12:19 PM
BU stunk it up last year but that's a little harsh.

2005: 1-10
2004: 7-4
2003: 6-6
2002: 2-9
2001: 6-4

That's three winning seasons out of the past 5, and don't forget they were dealing with a head coach's death early in that period.

I can see based on the way they've played Lehigh you would think they are horrible. LU vs. BU:

2005: 42-10 - yes, atrocious
2004: 40-17 - yes, atrocious
2003: 45-9 - yes, atrocious
2002: 24-0 - yes, atrocious
2001: 21-14 - close one

But still, in general they have been a middle of the pack PL team.

Thank you 13 for pointing out the truth.

Fordham
January 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM
back to the Richmond topic at hand:

what is the % chance that Clawson leaves after this year? what about next? (I don't mean that as a knock against him at all ... just simply that his goal is to coach at as big a football school as possible and he's performing well enough to expect an opportunity to do that).

Pard4Life
January 31st, 2006, 02:53 PM
back to the Richmond topic at hand:

what is the % chance that Clawson leaves after this year? what about next? (I don't mean that as a knock against him at all ... just simply that his goal is to coach at as big a football school as possible and he's performing well enough to expect an opportunity to do that).

Would not be surprised at all if he left after this year. He built Fordham up from 0-11 to a playoff contender. He left once those major playoff pieces graduated. If he stayed around another year.. who knows, maybe the Rams would have been PL champs.. they were a few points away from more Ws.

I don't know Richmond's team breakdown that well, but the loss of Tutt is huge. If Richmond can have a respectable year, at 7-4 or better, then Clawson will probably leave since he has shown he can win without the star, and that rebuilding at Richmond is complete. If Richmond struggles, he might stay on board because it will not look like rebuilding is complete, and that Tutt, not Clawson would be take the majority of credit for 05 success (but in truth, not true IMO, just what others might think).

But if Clawson does go, where to? An I-A offensive coordinator's job? I don't think there would be much more of a challenge in I-AA left for him. An A-10 team is about as high as you can go.

DTSpider
January 31st, 2006, 09:48 PM
I've heard Coach Clawson speak several times about his future. While some of it has to cater to the home crowd, I really do not expect him to leave after this year. For starters, we had a very young team last year. Tutt is a huge loss, but Clawson is just now getting to be able to play with the kids he recruited. The team should have some success moving forward. He will finally be able to implement his offense and I think that he is excited about the control he has.

Clawson has a pretty good job right now. He makes very good money at the 1AA level. His wife is from VA and really likes living in Richmond. They have a great family and appear to be very well imbraced by the UR community.

He has mentioned that his age really hurts him in moving up. He has said that he does not want to be a position coach and likes to be a head coach. I'll assume that he'd also be an offensive coordinator. The problem is, how long does he have to have success at Richmond before a truly better job comes up? I do not think that he'd leave to be an O-Coordinator at a MAC or SunBelt type program. I really think that he is BCS conference material and given his background the ACC or Big East makes the most sense.

Richmond's new stadium is set for the 2008 season. Clawson seems to have almost taken this as his project. He has mentioned a lot that he expects to be at Richmond around 7-10 years before he believes he can get a big-time job. I think that his estimate is a little long, but I would not be surprised to see him stay through 2008 or 2009.