PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Players of the Week

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Furman's Adam Mims and Shawn Boone make the list as offensive player and freshman, respectively.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204997564&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Coach Spurrier said he couldn't remember ever seeing a swing pass to a running back being intercepted, much less returned for a touchdown. Boone has a bright future in Greenville.

Edge316007
September 20th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Vitaris snags special teams POW. His first?

Skjellyfetti
September 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Figured Jabari Fletcher was a shoe-in for defensive POW... but, after seeing Torez Jones' stats... no way I can argue against that. Wow.

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2010, 02:08 PM
I'm going to post Boones interception when they get it up on youtube. May be play of the year in the SoCon.

CharlestonAppFan
September 20th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Furman's Adam Mims and Shawn Boone make the list as offensive player and freshman, respectively.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204997564&DB_OEM_ID=4000

Coach Spurrier said he couldn't remember ever seeing a swing pass to a running back being intercepted, much less returned for a touchdown. Boone has a bright future in Greenville.

We did have a good game last year, didn't we... ;) xsmiley_wix But thanks for the future vote of confidence xthumbsupx xlolx

PaladinFan
September 20th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Adam Mims awarded national receiver of the week. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/2010092095ry3u

"no one could catch him, we certainly did not have anyone that could catch him."--Spurrier

Eaglesrus
September 20th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I'm hoping that Elon will focus on stopping our offensive POTW nominee J. J. Wilson so that our slotback J. J. Wilcox will be able to sneak up on them.

Baldy
September 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'm going to post Boones interception when they get it up on youtube. May be play of the year in the SoCon.

Gonna be hard to beat this for the SoCon play of the year. Play starts at the 0:55 mark.
http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1358&Itemid=40

BTW, just right click, save video, and then watch. Much easier that way.

PhoenixMan
September 20th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Adam Mims awarded national receiver of the week. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2010-11/releases/2010092095ry3u

"no one could catch him, we certainly did not have anyone that could catch him."--Spurrier
Hold on now....he was CO-National receiver of the week....sharing with Aaron Mellette of Elon, 18 catches 195 yds, 2 TD's

insideout08
September 20th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Gonna be hard to beat this for the SoCon play of the year. Play starts at the 0:55 mark.
http://www.bullochheadlinenews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1358&Itemid=40

BTW, just right click, save video, and then watch. Much easier that way.

The DL lateraled the ball FORWARD about 5 yards, didn't he? Odd play. We had one go the other way like that against Coastal in 2006.

biggie
September 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM
The DL lateraled the ball FORWARD about 5 yards, didn't he? Odd play. We had one go the other way like that against Coastal in 2006.
6 Yds actually. When paused he throws it at 34 yd line, other guy catches at 40 yd line.

chattanoogamocs
September 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Hold on now....he was CO-National receiver of the week....sharing with Aaron Mellette of Elon, 18 catches 195 yds, 2 TD's

Well, if you are going to get picky...both of those receivers also shared the national award with Joel Bradford of Chattanooga (and Texas Southern's Joseph Anderson).

They are all mentioned in the third paragraph of the Furman press release.
(although it didn't mention that Mims shared the SoCon offensive honor this week with Bradford)

Bradford had 254 yards receiving (breaking a UTC record) on 11 catches. Which I think definitively answers the question "who is going to replace Blue Cooper at UTC?" By the end of the year, they might be saying "Blue who?"

Eaglesrus
September 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM

6 Yds actually. When paused he throws it at 34 yd line, other guy catches at 40 yd line.

There's a 13 page debate on GSUFans.com in a thread titled "Did anybody else notice..." as to whether that should have been called a forward lateral if anyone is interested. All sorts of theories of relativity and such have been mentioned.

catamount man
September 20th, 2010, 09:36 PM
http://www.catamountsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092010aaa.html

Way to represent Torez!!! GO CATS!!!

The Cats
September 20th, 2010, 10:17 PM
WCU's Torez Jones Honored Nationally

Receives weekly defensive honors

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/5735271.jpeg

Cullowhee, N.C. - In addition to being named this week's Southern Conference's Defensive Player of the Week; SoCon Player of the Week by SouthernPigskin.com and College Football Performance Award's (CFPA) National Defensive Performer of the Week, Western Carolina's Torez Jones was also named a College Sporting News All-Star and the FCS co-Defensive Player of the Week by The Sports Network.

Jones becomes the first Catamount to earn a national weekly award since Mordy Ornguze earned Special Teams plaudits from The Sporting News during the 2006 season. Jones shared this week's defensive award with Jon Saelinger, a DB from Penn who recorded three picks.

Jones, a defensive back from Wilson, N.C., led the Catamounts with a career-best 12 solo tackles and tallied a school - and SoCon-tying - record four interceptions in WCU's 28-14 road win over Gardner-Webb. Four interceptions in a single-game has only occurred four times in SoCon history, with the most recent coming by Charlie Benson of Davidson back in 1957 in a game against VMI.

insideout08
September 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM
There's a 13 page debate on GSUFans.com in a thread titled "Did anybody else notice..." as to whether that should have been called a forward lateral if anyone is interested. All sorts of theories of relativity and such have been mentioned.

Ha, I'll just take your word for it!

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
As promised. http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/allaccess/?media=195861

Check out the 5:44 mark for Boone's interception. It is "pollockesque"

appfan2008
September 22nd, 2010, 10:17 AM
Congrats to Vitaris... It sure is nice to have a reliable kicker and he has done a nice job following up rauch

phoenixphanatic21
September 22nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
As promised. http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/allaccess/?media=195861

Check out the 5:44 mark for Boone's interception. It is "pollockesque"

Reminds me of what Julius Peppers did against the Cardinals last year. Impressive indeed.

Also, props to SC for including highlights of their opponents.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Reminds me of what Julius Peppers did against the Cardinals last year. Impressive indeed.

Also, props to SC for including highlights of their opponents.

I've only seen a handful of DEs in college who have been athletic enough to intercept a pass when they were not dropping into coverage. Julius Peppers did it a number of times at UNC. David Pollock at Georgia did it a time or two. I've never seen a play like that at the FCS level.

What I didn't even realize is that Boone is a true freshman and that was one of several plays he made against USC. Guy is going to be a stud for Furman.

biggie
September 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Really don't think its that awe inspiring, it good, but just lucky that the ball bounced off his hands at just the right angle. Again good and athletic with good coordination, but nothing over the top to me.

Eaglesrus
September 22nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Reminds me of a play in our game Saturday; CCU's quarterback is dropping back, our nose tackle Brent Russell breaks through and is bearing down on him and the QB throws the ball from about 5 feet away. It hit Russell (looked to me like right in the chest), bounced off. Russell got his hands on it but wasn't able to wrap it up.

PaladinFan
September 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Really don't think its that awe inspiring, it good, but just lucky that the ball bounced off his hands at just the right angle. Again good and athletic with good coordination, but nothing over the top to me.

Hard to believe anyone can't appreciate how difficult that is.

Sure, any half wit can tip a pass. Heck, some can even catch it. What's incredible is that he fights off a chop block from a senior offensive tackle to do it. The chop block is designed on quick passes to quickly neutralize defenders. Not only did Boone fight the block, but he tipped and intercepted a backwards pass. That he was even able to get his hand on it is incredible.

Maybe you are just hard to impress, but Spurrier noted he'd never seen it before: "I didn't know you could throw an interception on a hitch and a swing pass, but that was a bad call on my part. I told the guys I need to quit calling those plays that he can throw interceptions for touchdowns the other way. We aren't going to throw that swing pass anymore."

biggie
September 23rd, 2010, 07:36 AM
Hard to believe anyone can't appreciate how difficult that is.

Sure, any half wit can tip a pass. Heck, some can even catch it. What's incredible is that he fights off a chop block from a senior offensive tackle to do it. The chop block is designed on quick passes to quickly neutralize defenders. Not only did Boone fight the block, but he tipped and intercepted a backwards pass. That he was even able to get his hand on it is incredible.

Maybe you are just hard to impress, but Spurrier noted he'd never seen it before: "I didn't know you could throw an interception on a hitch and a swing pass, but that was a bad call on my part. I told the guys I need to quit calling those plays that he can throw interceptions for touchdowns the other way. We aren't going to throw that swing pass anymore."
Again its good, and takes skill/concentration, but it just takes some luck as well. I think its possible for quite a few people to do, but its a 1 in 10,000 play that everything goes right.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
Again its good, and takes skill/concentration, but it just takes some luck as well. I think its possible for quite a few people to do, but its a 1 in 10,000 play that everything goes right.

So, its a 1/10,000 play that virtually no one has ever done, and its not impressive? 95% of the greatest sports plays in history are part luck.

biggie
September 23rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
So, its a 1/10,000 play that virtually no one has ever done, and its not impressive? 95% of the greatest sports plays in history are part luck.
Just saying its not the greatest play known to man, like some were saying. And yes a lot of amazing plays have to do with luck, but I don't think this one is one that can't be repeated by many other DEs in the nation.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
Just saying its not the greatest play known to man, like some were saying. And yes a lot of amazing plays have to do with luck, but I don't think this one is one that can't be repeated by many other DEs in the nation.

Maybe it can. I've never seen it done. Spurrier had never seen it done. We'll just agree to disagree then. I think its one of the best defensive plays I've ever seen at the FCS level.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Apparently Mims (and the band!) impressed more than just me.

http://www.dailygamecock.com/sports/studs-and-duds-1.1606260

STUDS

Adam Mims: The Furman wideout blew away the USC secondary for 202 yards and a touchdown. The senior was all over the field Saturday and made Carolina's defense look silly. The play of Mims made many wonder how he was not playing for bigger name school.

Furman Band: The Paladin band, which contained less than 100 members, knew how to please the crowd. Their performance of "The Safety Dance" contained many awesome components, including a keyboard player, unison dancing and singing. The USC band should take note of the crowd reaction and adjust its halftime shows

jmufan999
September 24th, 2010, 04:58 PM
i've never heard of an award called "national receiver of the week". do they do that for every position? that would be a huge number of awards by year's end.

PaladinFan
September 25th, 2010, 09:45 AM
i've never heard of an award called "national receiver of the week". do they do that for every position? that would be a huge number of awards by year's end.

I hadn't either. They posted it on the athletics website, went along with the thread.

chattanoogamocs
September 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM

http://collegefootballperformance.com/perfomers-of-the-week/2010/

(they use scientific statistical methods to determine weekly winners, not balloting...check out their wikipedia page, it is actually pretty interesting...I believe this is the first year they have awarded FCS players)