PDA

View Full Version : Elon @ Georgia Southern game thread

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Ready or not...it's here.

The keys to the game are simple. GSU has a week to figure out how to stop the pass and needs to do so. With Elon's running game being underwhelming and GSU showing vulnerability against the 4 and 5 wide sets CCU brought, I look for Riddle to line up in the shotgun and throw it all over the place all day long like they did against Richmond. Elon will need to make a few big plays running the ball like Coastal did, but not many.

When GSU has the ball it will come down to whether or not the OL and the B-backs can move the ball well enough up the middle to allow GSU to attack the corners. Elon also needs to not let Shaw escape GSU's flimsy and unstable pocket to make completions to our good group of A-backs and receivers.

Head says we lose by 11, but the heart says the game's in Statesboro and the team is sick of losing to Elon and we usually give ourselves a good chance to win versus better teams at home.

Saint3333
September 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Looking forward to see a full SoCon schedule. This is a big test for GSU and another game that Elon is going into as the favorite against a young, but talented team. Which team will respond?

GaSouthern
September 19th, 2010, 01:04 PM
We find out if GSU is for real this weekend or not. This game is going to be televised and I expect a great matchup... I won't predict a score though.

Smitty
September 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Wow game thread open already? Kinda early don't you think..

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
GSU has to stop Elon from passing all over us. Judging from the CCU game, we might be in trouble.

If GSU can run to the perimeter and pass w/ Jaybo Shaw they will have success on offense. The key to winning this game for us is making sure we control the time of possession so the defense stays fresh. It would be very helpful if we could actually run up the middle but thus far our o-line hasn't shown us that running up the middle is a practical thing. It worked against SSU but they are horrible. Against Navy it didn't work at all. Against CCU is worked slightly but very rarely with Brown. Akkinrani (sp?) is the power back we need up the middle. Brown is speedy but doesn't have power yet.

Our passing game is going to be able to bail us out when the shut down the run.

This game comes down to which defense steps up the most. If we can shut down Elon's passing attack, they are screwed. If Elon can shut down our offense so that our defense isn't fresh, we are screwed.

I hate to say it, but I think Elon has the advantage in this game. I just don't think we are far enough along at this point to pull it off.

BUT I know Paulson is one hell of a place to play and I saw how amazing we played against Navy. This is going to be a great game! Our guys play with more heart and determination than the combined total of the teams from the past 4 years. It will be close.

I can't wait until Saturday. My homies and I are going to stop tailgating an hour and 10 minutes early to make sure we get front row seats.

eaglewraith
September 20th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I can't wait until Saturday. My homies and I are going to stop tailgating an hour and 10 minutes early to make sure we get front row seats.

Love your enthusiasm but unless you're in the student club then you'll be on the front row on the endzone side, not on the 50 side.

PhoenixSupreme
September 20th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Crucial game for Elon, in terms of getting back on the winning track. I don't think we can afford but one loss in the SoCon and still have playoff hopes.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Love your enthusiasm but unless you're in the student club then you'll be on the front row on the endzone side, not on the 50 side.

I know. That's where we like to sit. On the 30 to the left of the band.

SpeedkingATL
September 20th, 2010, 09:50 AM
This is a real interesting match-up. Time to see how far along GSU really is against a good but wounded Elon. Passing attack against running attack with home field being a big factor.

PhoenixMan
September 20th, 2010, 11:03 AM
This will be a great game. Elon's defense looked better at Richmond, but the secondary is still suspect. GSU will put up some points, can Elon top it? Riddle looks like you would expect a senior QB with his credentials to look....the best I have seen him in his 4 years. Incredible final drive capped off with a TD pass at UR. 80 yds. on 10-12 passing with 1:38 to go and no timeouts. Glad it's on TV this week!

PhoenixMan
September 20th, 2010, 11:05 AM
One other point...our kicker really sucks. In a game like this, that can be the difference.

PhoenixPhan06
September 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
There have been some classics in this matchup over the last few seasons and I expect another one here. I think our passing attack will be too much to deal with but GSU will keep it close with their run game and solid run defense. Look for Riddle to Mellette/Jeffcoat early and often in this one as the Phoenix pull outta Statesboro with a hard fought 27-18 win.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 20th, 2010, 12:07 PM
J/w how banged up is Elon? All I have heard since Saturday is that Elon is hurting and banged up.

I know we are hurting too. Our RB left the game against CCU w/ back spasms. He should be back for this week I would assume. A couple of our other players are out as well.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Don't discount our passing attack. In a weird sense, it's the best passing attack GSU has had in the past 4 years. Yes, I'm being serious. You would think going from the "Air Raid" (whatever that is supposed to mean) to the Triple Option would mean we would not be as successful in the air. Hate to spoil it for ya, but Jaybo Shaw has quite an arm. We only pass about 12 times a game but we are averaging over 100 yards per contest. No interceptions on the year yet either.

Eaglesrus
September 20th, 2010, 02:21 PM
One other point...our kicker really sucks. In a game like this, that can be the difference.

I certainly hope that I'm not jinxing our guys, but the whole kicking game has been a strength of our team, with the exception of kickoff coverage having been a little suspect prior to Saturday's game. Our guys blocked both a punt and an extra point Saturday, as well.

GaSouthern
September 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM
If adrian was our kicker in 07 we would have beaten Elon and went to the playoffs.

phoenix3
September 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
[QUOTE=Blueandwhitefightfight;1556427]J/w how banged up is Elon? All I have heard since Saturday is that Elon is hurting and banged up.QUOTE]

I've heard this from more than one source. I've heard nothing specific though. Frankly, This game bothers me. We'll need to shake off the Richmond game & come back with a real bad attitude to make this one a win.

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=Blueandwhitefightfight;1556427]J/w how banged up is Elon? All I have heard since Saturday is that Elon is hurting and banged up.QUOTE]

I've heard this from more than one source. I've heard nothing specific though. Frankly, This game bothers me. We'll need to shake off the Richmond game & come back with a real bad attitude to make this one a win.

This game bothers me too, man. I'm going to need quite a few brews before I go in. I have a feeling both defenses are about to be raped. It should be a stressful day for both of us.

Eagle16
September 21st, 2010, 08:37 PM
I think this will be a great game, but I've got to say Monken has the kids believing in the old magic of Paulson Stadium. I have a feeling the stadium will be rocking, and I can't wait to see the outcome. Like others, I'm curious about our pass protection but the way our D has stepped up to challenges this year I'm optimistic that corrections have been made to keep the game competitive. Take your heart medication, it's a nail-biter to the end as the Eagles get the W.

eaglewraith
September 21st, 2010, 11:15 PM
Don't discount our passing attack. In a weird sense, it's the best passing attack GSU has had in the past 4 years. Yes, I'm being serious. You would think going from the "Air Raid" (whatever that is supposed to mean) to the Triple Option would mean we would not be as successful in the air. Hate to spoil it for ya, but Jaybo Shaw has quite an arm. We only pass about 12 times a game but we are averaging over 100 yards per contest. No interceptions on the year yet either.

People forget this offense evolved from the run and shoot....there's a lot of stuff that can be done in the air. Hell, Johnson ran it at Hawaii and the QB he coached there is #3 on the all time passing yardage list there right behind Tommy Chang and Colt Brennan. Also more evidence, Tracy Ham's 400+ yard day through the air against Furman in 85 for the championship. You can do more than just run the ball out of it. We've just been able to run the ball really well and only had to pass to offset things.