PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference - Week Four Predictions

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Welcome to our annual Southland Conference prediction thread. I will not be keeping track of everyone's results week to week, so you are more than welcome to do your part in helping out! For purposes of Lamar's entrance into the league in 2011, we'll also be including them in our predictions!

Week Four Game Listing
Northwestern State @ North Dakota
Bacone College @ Nicholls
Southern Utah @ Texas State University - San Marcos
Southeastern Louisiana @ ULM
Lamar @ Stephen F. Austin
Gardner-Webb @ Sam Houston State
Central Arkansas @ Tulsa
Cal Poly @ McNeese State

Week Four TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis

Went 5-2 last week... my losses coming in the form of Cal Poly over Texas St-San Marcos and Lamar over Southeastern Louisiana...

Northwestern State @ North Dakota - The Demons got their first win, but it was less than impressive against a winless squad. Trip to UND is a long one. Hopefully the loss is not too bad and it's not just as long a trip back. NORTH DAKOTA

Bacone College @ Nicholls - Nicholls finally got some more points on the board in the loss against South Alabama. I knew USA would be a pretty sturdy squad and last time we saw Bacone play an SLC team it was embarassing. Stubbs will let his boys run loose! NICHOLLS

Southern Utah @ Texas State University - San Marcos - Southern Utah is always a thorn in the side of TXST. The boys from San Marcos are riding high after a win over rival Cal Poly (yep - they love their CP at TXST). The thorn is pulled out and TEXAS STATE wins.

Southeastern Louisiana @ ULM - With Beatty and coming off a win over Lamar, I may go Lions. Young is not that bad an option, but this is an FBS game and tough to take Lions in it coming off what we've seen. ULM

Lamar @ Stephen F. Austin - Lamar is in for a rude awakening. While Bevil is going to be the King of the Roost next year as far as SLC quarterbacks are concerned, Bevil needs to take notes this week. Stephen F Austin is a top five football team in FCS. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Gardner-Webb @ Sam Houston State - The Webb group was not good against the Bearkats two years ago. We had Bomar. They got ran out of their own stadium. It will be challenging to duplicate it, but playing at home in the home opener must mean something and the running game is good for SHSU. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Central Arkansas @ Tulsa - Great come from behind win for UCA last week. Todd Graham is a prick and as big a jerk as they come, but he does know how to coach... to some degree. TULSA

Cal Poly @ McNeese State - Is Cal Poly really as good as we thought? Lost to TXST and the win over Montana does not look as impressive. They'll still be tough, but Pokes will get it. McNEESE

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 17-4 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 147-62 (49-34 SLC)

msusig
September 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Southern Utah @ Texas State
Central Arkansas @ Tulsa
Cal Poly @ McNeese State

21-2

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 10:15 AM
msusig - what were your two losses over the first three weeks of the season?

msusig
September 19th, 2010, 11:36 AM
msusig - what were your two losses over the first three weeks of the season?

SELA losing Lamar & Cal Poly losing to Texas State.

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM
That's a pretty good track record msusig - we'll see if the SLC teams continue playing according to your wishes!

msusig
September 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM
That's a pretty good track record msusig - we'll see if the SLC teams continue playing according to your wishes!

Thanks...my ULM win prediction over SELA makes me nervous. I can't believe I would pick ULM to win over anybody.xoopsx

JoshUCA
September 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
Southern Utah @ Texas State University - San Marcos
Central Arkansas @ Tulsa
Cal Poly @ McNeese State

MaximumBobcat
September 21st, 2010, 03:43 PM
I'll go with JoshUCA's predicitions as well. Those looks right to me.

Oh, and why is TXST the only university the OP can fully spell? Someone is more infatuated with us then any school in the SLC, even his own! Hah...

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 21st, 2010, 05:25 PM
I'll go with JoshUCA's predicitions as well. Those looks right to me.

Oh, and why is TXST the only university the OP can fully spell? Someone is more infatuated with us then any school in the SLC, even his own! Hah...

xlolxxsmileyclapx Just call it like you see it. Although I don't think anyone is surprised.

My Predictions

Some GREAT games this week...gonna be tough.

Northwestern State @ North Dakota--Demons look for revenge as the Fighting Sioux...er, Fighting...what's their nickname now?xchinscratchx Anyways, Demons are looking to avenge last year's lost to the other ND. Both teams seem improved over last year. I'll go with the home team, unfortunately. North Dakota 27-20 (same score as last year)

Bacone College @ Nicholls--Any given Saturday, right? HELL NO!! Pocket Change wins big...Nicholls 56-0

Southern Utah @ Texas State--Awesome game. Texas State's defense has been GREAT the last two weeks and has improved weekly. SUU is itching for a win after two tough FBS losses. They look pretty scary. Texas State will need to bring a COMPLETE game--passing, rushing, defense, special teams, AND penalties--to pull this one out. Cats break the Thunderbird Curse!! TxSt 42-38

Southeastern Louisiana @ ULM--The Indians, er..."warhawks" (whatever the hell that is!) are itching for their first win and an opponent to work out the kinks before facing WAR EAGLE. Haha, WAR EAGLE vs. WAR HAWKS...you bet I'm gonna watch that one! Not. Is Beatty back for the Lions? The Lions best bet would be to RAM IT RIGHT UP THE MIDDLE and destroy the will of ULM. ULM in a squeaker...another heartbreak for the Lions. Warlocks 28-27

Lamar @ Stephen F. Austin--This game is going to be FUN. Lamar has caught us all off guard with their performance thus far (whether the high flying offense keeping it close with McNeese and BEATING SELA...or the underwhelming close victory vs. Webber Intl). I think the high flying RedBirds will come gunning for a high scoring upset of the apparent SLC's best team who is experiencing a UNI hangover...LAMAR 59-56!

Gardner-Webb @ Sam Houston State--Kats have no option other than to run the ball. G-Dub is still pissed at their unexpected loss vs. Western Carolina and are looking to avenge last year's loss to the Fightin Prisoners. The Kat defense hasn't been too impressive either, giving up 56 to, as Terror put it, a "middle of the road MVFC team." So, I'll take the 'Dogs in an old school, slobber-knocker. G-Dub 17-14

Central Arkansas @ Tulsa--Haha really? Tulsa has got to be pissed that their offense is no longer enough to win games. Hail mary loss to ECU, blowout loss to Okie State, allowing 51 and 65 points respectively. xsmhx They'll probably view this as a game to sure up some of that D before heading into conference...I'm not sure UCA is ready to oblige. But I'll take Tulsa in a relatively-close one just because of their explosive offense and depth advantage. TU 56-35

Cal Poly @ McNeese State--The Mustang World Tour continues in Lake Chawles as they face McNeese. McNeese looks to have some defensive trouble as Mizzou put the breaks on after 3 quarters and 50 points (leading 50-0). Mizzou did so through the air and, surprisingly, on the ground. CP's triple option is no joke--they can rack up some rushing yards and chompin up some clock. If they stick to the game plan, they have a shot. If they don't get a win here, it's going to be a very long road trip...I'll take CP with the "upset" MUSTANGS 28-24

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 05:55 PM
Lamar @ Stephen F. Austin--This game is going to be FUN. Lamar has caught us all off guard with their performance thus far (whether the high flying offense keeping it close with McNeese and BEATING SELA...or the underwhelming close victory vs. Webber Intl). I think the high flying RedBirds will come gunning for a high scoring upset of the apparent SLC's best team who is experiencing a UNI hangover...LAMAR 59-56!

And why is that game not being televised by SLC Now? Didn't realize Beaumont and Nacogdoches were getting into the new Arena League!

GrabbAnAxe
September 21st, 2010, 08:25 PM
Actually the game is being televised, although not by the SLC. It's being broadcast locally out of Beaumont, and locally in the Nac/Lufkin area.

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092010aac.html

TexasTerror
September 21st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Actually the game is being televised, although not by the SLC. It's being broadcast locally out of Beaumont, and locally in the Nac/Lufkin area.

http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092010aac.html

That's awesome that the Beaumont station was willing to share it...

Good deal! Lamar has a few of their games telecast locally.

McNeese75
September 21st, 2010, 09:50 PM
Northwestern State @ North Dakota - Have the Demons ever beat a Dakota team?
Bacone College @ Nicholls - Colonels get their first
SUU @ Texas State. - T-birds have their number
SELU @ ULM Breakout week for the Lions
Lamar @ Stephen F. Austin - Why not?
GW @ Sam Houston State - Kats are struggling
Central Arkansas @ Tulsa - Too many horses for the Osos
Cal Poly @ McNeese - bobcats did it

NSUDemon98
September 21st, 2010, 10:16 PM

Maybe in the 1st quarter! but not for the other 3!!! LOL

GeauxLions94
September 21st, 2010, 11:54 PM
My record last week ... don't really care ... it wasn't good, especially the loss by the home team

Northwestern State @ North Dakota - Northwestern State finally got off the schneid with a win over Tarleton State ... a winning streak will have to wait as the Demons have to go north to face the Fighting ???"s" ... NORTH DAKOTA

Bacone College @ Nicholls - "Pork fat" rules (get it, a bacon reference), but I like the Colonels to get a win for Charlie Stubbs ... NICHOLLS

Southern Utah @ Texas State - Which Texas State team will show up? If the team that beat Cal Poly shows up, I like the Cats at home. SUU has been a thorn in their side the past couple of meetings ... UPSET SPECIAL ... SOUTHERN UTAH

Southeastern Louisiana @ ULM - Will the real Southeastern team please show up ... the team that nearly knocked off Tulane should pick up its first-ever win over an FBS school (one it has dominated in 46 previous meetings BTW) ... but if ULM has a QB and receivers like Lamar had, then I have to go with the WarChickens ... hope I'm wrong, but I gotta go with the FBS squad ... LOUISIANA-MONROE

Lamar @ Stephen F. Austin - Folks in Nacogdoches are expecting a football game on Saturday ... watch out for a track meet! If SFA turns the ball over, then Lamar has a got a shot with Andre Bevil and a stable of receivers led by J.J. Hayes. If not, it's going to be a high scoring game with the Jacks coming out on top .... you might not want to look down for a split second ... you could miss a touchdown STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Gardner-Webb @ Sam Houston State - Gardner-Webb already has a win on the road defeating FBS Akron two weeks ago ... despite how pitiful Akron is, SHSU is no Akron ... GARDNER-WEBB

Central Arkansas @ Tulsa - UCA looks for 4-0 start, but has to face FBS Tulsa to get there ... Not tonight Purple Bears! ... TULSA

Cal Poly @ McNeese State - GAME OF THE WEEK ... Which Cal Poly team will show up? While we're at it, will the 2009 McNeese team make an appearance? CP defeats then No. 1 Montana before losing on the road last week at Texas State ... another cross country trip for the Stangs who face a McNeese team that edged rival Lamar and was blasted by Mizzou ... Pokes coming off an off-week and should take care of business at the Hole ... MCNEESE STATE

GeauxLions94
September 21st, 2010, 11:56 PM
SLU losing Lamar & Cal Poly losing to Texas State.

Hmmm, I think a lot of people were on the wrong side of that one.

McNeese75
September 22nd, 2010, 11:08 PM

2010 results

8-0
6-2
4-3

darell1976
September 23rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
xlolxxsmileyclapx Just call it like you see it. Although I don't think anyone is surprised.

My Predictions

Some GREAT games this week...gonna be tough.

Northwestern State @ North Dakota--Demons look for revenge as the Fighting Sioux...er, Fighting...what's their nickname now?xchinscratchx Anyways, Demons are looking to avenge last year's lost to the other ND. Both teams seem improved over last year. I'll go with the home team, unfortunately. North Dakota 27-20 (same score as last year)

Actually it was just North Dakota that beat NW St last year NOT NDSU. And for the record we are still the Fighting Sioux until the 2010-2011 sports season ends.

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 23rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Actually it was just North Dakota that beat NW St last year NOT NDSU. And for the record we are still the Fighting Sioux until the 2010-2011 sports season ends.

Oh, I was referring to Notre Dame. ;) Should have had the entire thing ("the Other ND") in quotations...my bad.

Retro
September 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Southern Utah @ Texas State
Central Arkansas @ Tulsa
Cal Poly @ McNeese State

darell1976
September 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Oh, I was referring to Notre Dame. ;) Should have had the entire thing ("the Other ND") in quotations...my bad.

Okay no harm done, we actually play Notre Dame in hockey this season so its UND vs UND. My avatar is the new UND revealed this season to keep us and Notre Dame apart since they had the same UND logo as ours.

jhanel
September 23rd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Lets get this win! Northwestern State University Demons! Beat the Hell of North Dakota! GO DEMONS GO!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/15231977

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Lets get this win! Northwestern State University Demons! Beat the Hell of North Dakota! GO DEMONS GO!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/15231977

wow...what a great video.

darell1976
September 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM
wow...what a great video.

Not from my standpoint.;) We need a video like that.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Stephen F Austin is a top five football team in FCS. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Obviously it's reasonable to pick SFA over Lamar, but I seriously doubt that SFA is one of the best 5 teams in FCS. Nobody in the Southland has been at that level since Texas State in 2005 and I don't think anybody in the Southland is at that level this year. Yes SFA beat UNI after they had a game with no turnovers and UNI turned it over in the red zone two or three times (I'd have to look it up). But no way SFA or anybody else in the Southland is a top 5 team

I wish the idea that no Southland team is at that level wasn't the case but I think it is.

NSUDemon98
September 23rd, 2010, 07:21 PM

Yeah, when it comes to who is beating NSU these days get your NDs straight! LOL...we were throttled by NDSU like 6 years ago!

darell1976
September 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah, when it comes to who is beating NSU these days get your NDs straight! LOL...we were throttled by NDSU like 6 years ago!

Be prepared to be throttled by UND on Saturday.xsmiley_wix

TylerUCA
September 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM
Nobody in the Southland has been at that level since Texas State in 2005

Cough UCA the year they should have won SLC title Cough

GeauxLions94
September 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Cough UCA the year they should have won SLC title Cough

COUGH COUGH UCA couldn't go to the playoffs due to its transition from DII, and as much respect I have for UCA, Clint Conque and Nathan Brown, I don't think they would have gone that far in the playoffs if they had been able to go COUGH COUGH

The '05 Texas State team was pretty special with Barrick Nealy running the show, a stable of good running backs and a very active defense. I didn't think they'd get past Georgia Southern in the playoffs, but throttled them in San Marcos and could have advanced to the National Championship game if it weren't for one call late in the game by Bailiff.

Retro
September 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM
The 2007 Mcneese team was very good! Unfortunately the first playoff game performance was hampered by heavy rain all day before the game, before the new turf and the still current DC didn't do any adjustments to slow down EWU despite the conditions, which didn't help. Mcneese would've played Appy the next week, so there could have been some looking ahead, but who knows.. Anyway, that team was 11-0 in the reg season and dominated every team it played, except maybe the NWST game.

Purple Pride
September 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM
UCA could go to the playoffs. The conference wouldn't let them

JohnStOnge
September 24th, 2010, 07:04 PM
The 2007 Mcneese team was very good! Unfortunately the first playoff game performance was hampered by heavy rain all day before the game, before the new turf and the still current DC didn't do any adjustments to slow down EWU despite the conditions, which didn't help. Mcneese would've played Appy the next week, so there could have been some looking ahead, but who knows.. Anyway, that team was 11-0 in the reg season and dominated every team it played, except maybe the NWST game.

I actually thought later that the 2007 McNeese team that started the 2007 season may possibly have been top 5 in caliber but by the time the playoffs started it had been riddled with key injuries. Steven Whithead went down against ULL. Jamie Leonard was starting over future All American Todrick Pendland and was averaging 7 yards per carry before breaking his leg on the first play against South Dakota. Defensive star Bryan Smith went down late in the season and Pendland went down as well. Quinten Lawrence played but was recovering from an injury.

To me Smith's loss completely changed things for McNeese's defense because with him they could get excellent pressure on the passer without having to blitz. When Smith was in the game opposing QBs had no time to throw the ball either because Smith was on them or someone else was...many times because so much attention was having to be devoted to Smith.

There were other key players out as well. It was not at all the same team that started the season. I know that every team has to deal with injuries and that's part of it. But it was a really bad "key injury" year for McNeese that year.

Anyway, I certainly don't think they were a top 5 team by the time playoff time came and I guess that's pretty self evident given what happened in the opening round.

purplejacks
September 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Wow - I sure hope you dont bet on NFL games.... Jacks kicked the dog out of Lamar 71-3...... McNeese took it in the shorts to Cal Poly....SAM slapped GW...only game you were close on was SELA.... better luck next week.

McNeese75
September 25th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Wow - I sure hope you dont bet on NFL games.... Jacks kicked the dog out of Lamar 71-3...... McNeese took it in the shorts to Cal Poly....SAM slapped GW...only game you were close on was SELA.... better luck next week.

Who are you talking about moron?

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Wow, an unexpected 7-1 week...

Thanks McNeese! xlolx

AxeEmJacks
September 26th, 2010, 10:16 AM

No name calling McNeese75 xthumbsupx

LouiseBFree
September 26th, 2010, 12:47 PM

CORRECTION, the NCAA wouldn't let them, not the conference.xnonox

TexasTerror
September 26th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Unfortunately - this beating a dead horse.

UCA had the best team in the confererence, but due to rules could not move on. The SLC thought you could still win the conference title, but was wrong. Biggest mistake of Burnett era - he's admitted that. It was the NCAA and not the SLC re: playoffs. Get your head out of the ground!

McNeese75
September 26th, 2010, 01:44 PM
No name calling McNeese75 xthumbsupx

Sorry, but I thought that was his namexnodx