PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Power Rankings - Week 3.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 18th, 2010, 10:00 PM
This week saw some interesting results with my only whiffs being Western and Elon (I think). That being said, here's this week power rankings.

1. Appalachian State - At 3-0, they are looking good heading into the rest of the conference schedule.
2. Furman - Had nothing to be ashamed of vs. USC
3. Chattanooga - Finally get their first win of the season
4. Georgia Southern - Is the swagger back? We'll find out soon enough.
5. Elon - Good game, tough loss vs. Richmond
6. Wofford - they beat a non-DI team the way they should beat them
7. Samford - they play their conference schedule the way they played vs. Newberry, they are in trouble.
8. The Citadel - Not too shabby vs. Presbyterian
9. Western Carolina - Somewhere in Catamount Nation, catamount man is eating his words about WCU finishing 0-11 this year (I think someone among the WCU posters said that WCU would finish 0-11 last year and we know how that turned out).

Coming soon, my picks.

CID1990
September 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Our defense is much improved over last year's squad.

We are still picking out the kinks in the offense. We had a short field all night against PC, partially because the D kept giving us the ball there, and our punter has become quite a weapon.

Our biggest problems right now are coughing up the ball, and our receivers cannot seem to haul the ball in at all.

Our fullback had 172 yards on the night.

WCU LawCat
September 18th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Couple of thoughts. Furman QB Chris Forcier is out for the year. Elon is still very good. Still hard to get a read on Wofford. GSU beat a Coastal team that really isn't that good. Western played with a ton of injuries tonight and still took care of business on the road.

insideout08
September 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
This week saw some interesting results with my only whiffs being Western and Elon (I think). That being said, here's this week power rankings.

1. Appalachian State - At 3-0, they are looking good heading into the rest of the conference schedule.
7. Samford - they play their conference schedule the way they played vs. Newberry, they are in trouble.
9. Western Carolina - Somewhere in Catamount Nation, catamount man is eating his words about WCU finishing 0-11 this year (I think someone among the WCU posters said that WCU would finish 0-11 last year and we know how that turned out).

Coming soon, my picks.

That looks about right. As noted, Chris Forcier is out for the season. But Cody Worley started tonight and played all but about 6 plays when Forcier was in. I hate it for CF because he is by far the fastest QB ever at Furman.

Skjellyfetti
September 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Wow. Tough loss for Furman. I haven't seen y'all play this year... but, I remember being VERY impressed with Forcier at the end of our game last year.

longtimemocfan
September 18th, 2010, 10:55 PM
No problems with finishing today. Offense was rolling with 548 yards. Found a running game as well. If defense can just be a little more consistent I might buy into 3. Elon is still up near the top in my book. They just need to get a healthy running back.

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Coming soon, my picks.

Looks good to me

PaladinFan
September 18th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Loss of Forcier is tough. Takes one more good athlete off the field. I still think the Furman offense will be quite potent. Quarterback is Furman's deepest position.

The list looks pretty good.

apaladin
September 19th, 2010, 12:12 AM
I am beginning to believe the defense is much better. Never thought we would hold SC to under 400 yds and the next Jim Brown to under 100. I thought the Paladins tackled him much better than UGA did. We also had a true freshman DE with a pick 6 tonight.

seantaylor
September 19th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Forcier blows anyway. Worley is a much better QB than him. GSU is going on a run. Young team gets back at home after a B2B on the road. Option is only going to get stronger.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Forcier blows anyway. Worley is a much better QB than him. GSU is going on a run. Young team gets back at home after a B2B on the road. Option is only going to get stronger.

Do you even read or think about what you write before you post it?

SU DOG
September 19th, 2010, 07:47 AM
IMO, the most impressive SoCon showing this week was by the Paladins. The final score was misleading. The Furman defense is far better than I had anticipated, and Mims looked like an NFL receiver. I don't know if USC let up, as I only saw the second half, but FU looks scary good to me.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2010, 07:53 AM
IMO, the most impressive SoCon showing this week was by the Paladins. The final score was misleading. The Furman defense is far better than I had anticipated, and Mims looked like an NFL receiver. I don't know if USC let up, as I only saw the second half, but FU looks scary good to me.

Most Furman fans are encouraged. I'm sure the Gamecocks weren't at maximum capacity, coming off a big win against Georgia and heading to Auburn next week. Spurrier had talked earlier in the week about wanting to get a lot of guys playing time. He may well have done that, but I know that Garcia and Lattimore were still running plays with five minutes left in the game.

Mims was a real treat. USC was sticking two defenders on him and they still couldn't cover him. I think #2 is going to have a Terrel Hudgins type year where you can only hope to limit him, you have no chance of stopping him.

Defense looks massively better. Still very very young up front, and have been susceptible to the rush, but look fundamentally far more sound than the last two years.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM
ks.

Reading GSUfans, you can say the swagger is most definitely not back yet. Our run-blocking is poor and even though we have a good pair of corners Coastal showed we are quite vulnerable against the 4 and 5-wide sets. The offense is probably not as good as the score shows, either since we had a defensive 2PC, a fumble recovered for a TD, and an INT in Coastal territory.

I'll always like our chances against FCS teams at home, but we will have our hands full against Riddle and Elon. My guess is Elon will line up in the shotgun and throw it all over the place, because I don't think they'll be able to run the ball against us.

Eaglesrus
September 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Reading GSUfans, you can say the swagger is most definitely not back yet. Our run-blocking is poor and even though we have a good pair of corners Coastal showed we are quite vulnerable against the 4 and 5-wide sets. The offense is probably not as good as the score shows, either since we had a defensive 2PC, a fumble recovered for a TD, and an INT in Coastal territory.

I'll always like our chances against FCS teams at home, but we will have our hands full against Riddle and Elon. My guess is Elon will line up in the shotgun and throw it all over the place, because I don't think they'll be able to run the ball against us.

Add to that a blocked punt recovered at Coastal's 5 that took us four plays to get into the endzone. Good win, but we have a ways to go.

ElonPride
September 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Yeah, Elon probably won't be able to run the ball well at all. Newsome played injured yesterday and Shuman is still out. That's two of Elon's top 3 backs.

Something to note: Aaron Mellette broke Terrell Hudgins' Elon program record for receptions in a single game. Mellette caught 18 passes for 195 yards & 2 Tds at UR.

eaglewraith
September 19th, 2010, 10:42 AM
What happened to Forcier?

AndrewFU21
September 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm sure I'm overreacting, but with that injury to Forcier it's hard to realistically think about playoffs in Greenville this year xsmhx. Otherwise it sounded like a good performance last night for our guys. Our defense seems to be much better, and if so then I think we should compete with anybody in the conference this year. Offensively we have some weapons, but I'm not completely sold about Worley at QB. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. We'll see.

GSU beat CCU pretty easily, but the stats say that they were outgained by almost 100 yards... I still don't think we know anything about this team really.

Chattanooga scares me, especially since they probably owe us one after 15 or so straight wins against them.

Wofford picked up an easy win - not much to say there.

Samford was really underwhelming in a win over Newberry.

ASU still looks like the best team in the league.

Elon had a tough loss, but there's no shame in losing at Richmond. Still, with 2 losses already the playoffs start early for the Phoenix.

Western won a game! Good for them.

Citadel has beaten two bad teams and was blown out by an FBS. Hard to say much at this point.

Next week should be fun with 4 SoCon games.

youwouldno
September 19th, 2010, 11:06 AM
What happened to Forcier?

Broken left shoulder I think. On the bottom of a pile up, after he fumbled and recovered it.

It's a loss but I don't think it really changes the Paladins' outlook too much. The issue has been defense in recent years, and there are some promising signs on that front. The offense will be fine.

PaladinFan
September 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I'm sure I'm overreacting, but with that injury to Forcier it's hard to realistically think about playoffs in Greenville this year xsmhx. Otherwise it sounded like a good performance last night for our guys. Our defense seems to be much better, and if so then I think we should compete with anybody in the conference this year. Offensively we have some weapons, but I'm not completely sold about Worley at QB. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. We'll see.

I think you are overreacting a bit. The loss of Forcier takes away another quality offensive weapon. Furman is plenty capable of scoring a bunch of points without him (we did last year). Furman has speed all over the field, a 5th year senior at QB, and a good offensive line. Worley has to hand the ball off and find Adam Mims. He's good enough to do that.

eaglewraith
September 19th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Do you even read or think about what you write before you post it?

He's been banned from gsufans.com so this is the only place he has to talk about football....so instead of the "tame" version of him that normally posts you're getting full on version.

DX Man
September 19th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Glad to see Wofford, Samford, GSU, The Citadel, Chattanooga and especially Western get wins yesterday. FU did a good job hanging with USC. Very happy my Apps have Chattanooga out of the way and are 3-0. Biggest game of the season coming up next.