dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM
had to punt UNH up 15-10

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 12:12 PM
UNH could be dangerous if they ever get disciplined. Too many dumb penalties

UNH Fanboi
September 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM
We need to put that 2nd quarter behind us. That was terrible.

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Cmon Cats win the 2nd half and win the game.

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cats moving the ball down to the URI 36

Old Cat Fan
September 18th, 2010, 12:59 PM
looks like no one started this thread, UNH driving and leading by 5

Use to be Official game threads started morning of the game, now they seem to be started some where mid week and get lost xchinscratchx

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM
FG UNH up 18-13

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Yeah I looked back a ways and couldn't find one, glad to have you join in Old Cat

Old Cat Fan
September 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah I looked back a ways and couldn't find one, glad to have you join in Old Cat

Thanks DW, watching the game on comcast, puter in another room so won't be adding much, **** Rams been tough last couple of years

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
UNH stops URI on 4th down and then a nice 12 yard run by Fox

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 01:18 PM
This has been a frustrating game to watch, and with Tanguay and Gresh, two URI homers calling the game.

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 01:19 PM
UNH can't get moving, not sure that a QB change isn't in order. People hate to hear it but Tohman is vanilla, all you get is ok you don't get spectacular and therefore you have no chance for a national championship. Not sure of Decker is any better but I cannot be worse and he at least has an experience upside.

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Big interception there UNH gets the ball in URI territory. Hopefully they can get points off the turnover and start pulling away

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Here is the other thing, Tohman is a dink and dunk QB he can't throw the bomb, Decker can.

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM
That was pathetic

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 01:34 PM
No push by the line on the 4th and short. This is not looking good

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Freaking dumb penalties have hamstrung this team.

UNH72Plus
September 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
I'm sitting in a hotel room in Annecy, France (it's 8:46 over here)trying to follow the game and for some reason I can't get the audio streamimg. So I appreciate the updates on this thread. Thanks!

Mattymc727
September 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
This is not a playoff offense

TJT
September 18th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Big run by URI followed by a face mask set up a touchdown run by Rhody QB. He also runs it in for the 2 pt conversion. 21-18 URI with about 8mins

Mattymc727
September 18th, 2010, 01:54 PM
touchdown UNH, now thats a drive

TJT
September 18th, 2010, 01:55 PM
UNH counters Rams with a TD in a little over a min with some big pass plays. UNH 25-21

TJT
September 18th, 2010, 02:05 PM
URI punts on next possession. UNH gets ball and makes big 3rd down conversion as they can continue to kill clock.

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Toman plays loose with the ball, fumbles and returned for a URI td. 27-25 URI.

Mattymc727
September 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Unreal, that last three plays just ruined the season

whitey
September 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
rut roh UNH

aceinthehole
September 18th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Is URI really willing to give this up for the NEC?

Great game!

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Dumb penalties and turnovers = Season over.

Mattymc727
September 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Dumb penalties and turnovers = Season over.

agreed

TJT
September 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
URI intercepts on last UNH possession and run out the clock. URI actually wins a CAA League game and the opponent isn't Northeastern.

GoWildcats789
September 18th, 2010, 02:19 PM
A nice INT for Toman for there to end the game.

I'm sorry but he has no balls. Incredibly anti-clutch.

OxSoxUNH05
September 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
It really boils down to coaching, UNH has been an undisciplined team the past few years. Dumb penalties at bad times. Today it finally cost them.

Old Cat Fan
September 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Were in trouble guys, the meat of the schedule coming, this game probably just tanked the season, off to look for something to puke in

dwtime
September 18th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Tohman and Jellison out Decker and Peters in, develop an offense for next season.

Old Cat Fan
September 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
A nice INT for Toman for there to end the game.

I'm sorry but he has no balls. Incredibly anti-clutch.

Anti clutch, nice way to phrase " choke artist"

EmeryZach
September 18th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Wow. Never saw that coming.

WrenFGun
September 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Certainly don't want to throw toman under the bus but the guy cannot handle the pressure. Absolutely no excuse to keep sitting decker.

That said, the offensive line is horrible and the playcalling has been atrocious. I think deep down UNH has had an offensive problem since chip Kelly left. Without better playcalling and ol play the qb wont matter. That said, toman is not a playoff caliber qb with his decision making.

GoWildcats789
September 18th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Anti clutch, nice way to phrase " choke artist"

Yeah his performance during his first ever playoff run was a sign of things to come - 2 games, 1 touchdown and 7 interceptions.

Old Cat Fan
September 18th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Certainly don't want to throw toman under the bus but the guy cannot handle the pressure. Absolutely no excuse to keep sitting decker.

That said, the offensive line is horrible and the playcalling has been atrocious. I think deep down UNH has had an offensive problem since chip Kelly left. Without better playcalling and ol play the qb wont matter. That said, toman is not a playoff caliber qb with his decision making.

So true Wren, every year since Kelly left, the wide open spread with lots of trickery has been getting dilluted down to a basic vanilla offense,

Old Cat Fan
September 18th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Yeah his performance during his first ever playoff run was a sign of things to come - 2 games, 1 touchdown and 7 interceptions.

I still have that UNI game from the UNI dome on my DVR, two years later I still can't get the stomach to watch it

Mattymc727
September 18th, 2010, 03:02 PM
We can still turn this thing around, however, to finish 6-2 the rest of the season is going to be incrdibly hard. Im not sure anyone in the FCS can do that in this conference.

theUofNH09
September 18th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Offensive line got dominated all game... I agree the offensive play calling has become very vanilla. What happened to all the end around plays with wide receivers? Seems like it would be a great way to get the ball in Fox's hands.

NHwildEcat
September 18th, 2010, 03:35 PM
There goes the season....****.

UNHFootballAlum
September 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM

Wren, I agree with you. The playcalling is so vanilla. A D coordinator doesn't have to worry about very much when it comes to UNH's Offense. This loss is not only Toman's fault, but his pocket presence is not good. Once he steps up in the pocket and then decides to run laterally back toward the DL where he just stepped up in the pocket. When you get pressure in his face early in games, he then begins to throw off his back foot or going backwards. This happened consistently during the game and what caused that last high throw and INT. Toman also dinks and dunks his way down the field, but I think that most of that is the playcalling. I think that it is time to give Decker a shot. Jellison has done nothing since his return. Peters needs to get more carries and again why no Setian? especially on the 4th & 1 play. I am so disgusted at how the Defense played. Especially the stupid penalties and missed tackles. They got no pressure on the QB all game along. Overall it was a horrible performance , but give URI credit for battling and never quitting.

santosballnewhampshire
September 18th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I dont know if we're done yet. Obviously its going to be against the odds, but with the 20 team expansion, if we win the right games at end up at 7-4 I think we'll have a chance. Gotta beat Lehigh, Maine, and Towson. Then Richmond, W&M, UMASS, JMU and NOVA, gotta go 3-2 through that gauntlet. Doesn't look bright now, but I'm not counting us out.

Sam Adams
September 18th, 2010, 05:03 PM
i watched portions of this game flipping bak & forth b/w the Mass game and this one. I think URI looked pretty decent in the parts that i watched. so congrats to the Rams on a good effort and a nice win. Its still early UNH fans - lots of football left to play.

UNH Fanboi
September 18th, 2010, 05:53 PM
So true Wren, every year since Kelly left, the wide open spread with lots of trickery has been getting dilluted down to a basic vanilla offense,

I think it also has a lot to do with Santos and Ball graduating. Play calling is a lot easier with one of the best QB-WR combos in FCS history.

Jackman
September 18th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Rhody is a different team when they play New Hampshire. The previous 3 URI-UNH games that Rhody lost were close and competitive, with URI usually getting their best offensive stats of the season.

Wildcat80
September 18th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Today Decker needed more than a 2 pt play. Where was peters????? Toughest, fastest RB we have!!!! Sad...very sad....URI wanted it more.

UNHFootballAlum
September 18th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I think it also has a lot to do with Santos and Ball graduating. Play calling is a lot easier with one of the best QB-WR combos in FCS history.

Santos and Ball do help, but Chip looks to spread the from every angle imaginable andthe defense on therefore he makes you defend the entire field. Because of that it creates mismatches all over the field and keeps the defense guessing. Look at the stats he's putting up at Oregon. They did not average thiose numbers before he arrived

UNH72Plus
September 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I agree with most of what's been said, and I too would like to see Decker, Peters, & Setian get more playing time. That being said, Toman was 31 for 44 for 284 yards and two touchdowns, and if you add in the 50+ TD that was called back for holding and the late first down pass that was called back for a chop block, he's 35 for 48 for 340+ yards and three touchdowns and the late fumble disappears. I'd like to see a lot more Chip Kelly in there also. Those little shovel passes, quick slants, and end arounds seemed to work well. I think we have the talent in Fox, Jeannot, and Orlando.

JMUNJ08
September 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Surprise win for URI...First over UNH since '03!

Feel bad for UNH. 1-2 is a tough whole to dig out of in a 10 team CAA...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Geez, what is it with some of you guys with the Toman bashing? It’s been like a witch hunt ever since that Spring game a couple of years ago. Glad 72Plus added those statistics to demonstrate the success that R.J. had yesterday. I tend to agree with what Wren said earlier, it wouldn’t make a difference who was playing quarterback. Sometimes I think I’m watching a different game than some of you. Almost every time I saw what you’re lambasting Toman for, he was under duress. He took two or three hits yesterday that I wasn’t sure he would return from. It was frightening how often there was a powder blue jersey coming in for a clean hit on Toman.

I know from private conversations with UNHFootballAlum, that he is a very knowledgeable poster. But at the same time on that last play, I saw a URI player with a single digit number (i.e., not a defensive lineman) who beat TWO offensive linemen and had Toman in his cross hairs for a clean hit. Frankly, if the offensive line doesn’t block better and/or figure out the blitzes, it really doesn’t make much difference who is at QB or RB.

I was at the game yesterday and just leisurely watched the first half off the DVR. Loved the comment about how UNH shot itself in the foot with the penalties. Eleven penalties for 113 yards and giving three first downs to URI seems like a significantly bigger problem with who is playing QB!! We took TDs off the board, killed drives and extended URI drives. That, the OL play and how it seemed like after the first period that URI wanted this game a whole lot more than we did are more concerning to me than who is playing QB or RB.

Lost in all of this was a terrific performance by Terrance Fox.

rcny46
September 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I wasn't at the game yesterday,but I did have the chance to watch the this mess on Comcast.I have to say is that I think UNH ALUM is right in regard to RJ Toman.He wasn't the reason UNH looked awful yesterday,and ultimately blew it.I for one would be surprised if Toman is relplaced.

UNHFootballAlum
September 19th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Geez, what is it with some of you guys with the Toman bashing? It’s been like a witch hunt ever since that Spring game a couple of years ago. Glad 72Plus added those statistics to demonstrate the success that R.J. had yesterday. I tend to agree with what Wren said earlier, it wouldn’t make a difference who was playing quarterback. Sometimes I think I’m watching a different game than some of you. Almost every time I saw what you’re lambasting Toman for, he was under duress. He took two or three hits yesterday that I wasn’t sure he would return from. It was frightening how often there was a powder blue jersey coming in for a clean hit on Toman.

I know from private conversations with UNHFootballAlum, that he is a very knowledgeable poster. But at the same time on that last play, I saw a URI player with a single digit number (i.e., not a defensive lineman) who beat TWO offensive linemen and had Toman in his cross hairs for a clean hit. Frankly, if the offensive line doesn’t block better and/or figure out the blitzes, it really doesn’t make much difference who is at QB or RB.

I was at the game yesterday and just leisurely watched the first half off the DVR. Loved the comment about how UNH shot itself in the foot with the penalties. Eleven penalties for 113 yards and giving three first downs to URI seems like a significantly bigger problem with who is playing QB!! We took TDs off the board, killed drives and extended URI drives. That, the OL play and how it seemed like after the first period that URI wanted this game a whole lot more than we did are more concerning to me than who is playing QB or RB.

I think that Toman had one of his better statistical days throwing for a high completion percentage, but I think that his pocket presence was an issue yesterday. he has to know that late in the game with a lead that he cannot hold the ball and take that sack. He either has to run or get rid of it. he did it a few times yesterday where he stepped up in the pocket and rolled to his right back into the player who ends up sacking him. The OL did allow pressure to get into his face quite a bit yesterday and they have to play better both on run blocking and pass protection, but what I saw was when there was only moderate pressure and he could step forward and throw ( yes he will get hit after the throw) he chose to throw off of his back foot. That causes most QB's to become inaccurate in their throws. This loss is a total team loss and the OL has to be better, the DEF has to tackle better, RJ cannot take that sack at the end of the game, and the play calling needs to be more imaginative. The good news is that all of this is correctable and can be improved upon, but there is a lot to work on

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 19th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I just watched that last play and I have to correct myself as the play I described was at some other point in the game. BUT, that last play was a freaking two man rush by URI!! How does one guy come in virtually clean on the QB in that situation??? RJ threw the ball just before getting hit and threw it high.

The announcers said he made a bad decision because he had someone open albeit not over the 1st down yard line. I don't know since TV doesn't show the entire field. Why does our QB have to be put in a position of duress so often? Probst often had all day to survey the field, shouldn't Toman have had the same luxury on that last play with a two man rush??

Arrghhh, just so frustrated over that loss. Now, it's off to work I go.

crusader11
September 19th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Kevin Decker time. Toman has gone down hill since the Southern Illinois playoff game.

Bos8
September 19th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Glad to see URI finally win one. It's tough to change the culture at URI, but Trainer is a high energy guy.
Was impressed by our run game. Isijola is talented. He is a former high school track star who is improving his running between the tackles. There were times when he hit the pile, and moved it 2-3 yards forward.
Probst reminds me of a better version of Derick Cassidy. He doesn't have the best arm, and isn't the fastest qb. But he can do some damage if he gets into open space. What is the word on CPE? When he is healthy enough to return, will he take the starting spot back? We have some pretty good wr's and should be throwing for more then 80 yards a game.
I wasn't at the game yesterday, but watching it on tv I felt like UNH could throw wr screens whenever they wanted and would pick up at least 5 yards. Were the db's playing that far back? Our defensive line and line backers looked strong. Good pursuit all over the field. Any word on Rob Damon and when he will return?
The crowd looked pretty good on tv. Hopefully we can build on this week, and the get another good turn out for the Brown game.

UNH Fanboi
September 19th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks for being the voice of reason in here. Look at UNH's rushing stats:

Jellison - 8 attempts, 13 yards
Peters - 7 attempts, 9 yards

And then we had 120 yards worth of penalties.

But Toman throws for 286 yards with a 70% completion percentage and has 3 TDs (2 passing, 1 rushing), and the game is somehow his fault?? And that's with terrible pass protection.

Sorry, but in my opinion the blame for this loss lies first with the o-line and then with the stupid penalties.

WrenFGun
September 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I'll elaborate later but frankly, I think the issues aren't really tangible with Toman. If you're watching the games I think you can see that some of the things he does just don't make for a quality starting FCS Quarterback...

And I think quotiing completion percentage here is pretty questionable. I'm going to chart the next game, but how many throws did he make over 2 yards over the LOS?

Those throwing Toman under the bus as all the problem are incorrect ... the OL and OC deserve the Lion's Share of the blame. There's just no excuse for throwing off of the back foot and running laterally time and time again, however, particularly in that situation. If you want to argue stats alone you're going to win and I'm one of the biggest stats individuals there is ... but the intangibles are seriously lacking here, IMO.

WrenFGun
September 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Not to add much here, but how effective would you be running the football if the only type of play you ran was a halfback draw with no momentum and a terrible OL. Not Toman's fault at all there, but the horrible playcalling is really killing us.

...I also scratch my head at the playaction plays when no one buys the run..

UNH Fanboi
September 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
I'll elaborate later but frankly, I think the issues aren't really tangible with Toman. If you're watching the games I think you can see that some of the things he does just don't make for a quality starting FCS Quarterback...

And I think quotiing completion percentage here is pretty questionable. I'm going to chart the next game, but how many throws did he make over 2 yards over the LOS?

Those throwing Toman under the bus as all the problem are incorrect ... the OL and OC deserve the Lion's Share of the blame. There's just no excuse for throwing off of the back foot and running laterally time and time again, however, particularly in that situation. If you want to argue stats alone you're going to win and I'm one of the biggest stats individuals there is ... but the intangibles are seriously lacking here, IMO.

Unfortunately I had to listen to the game on the radio, and they don't do the best job of describing the overall picture. The stats can definitely lie sometimes, and I'll take your word for it that Toman is doing some things wrong. But it's important to look at the team as a whole and not just scapegoat Toman like it seems some people are doing in here. You don't lose to a team that was 1-10 last year just because of one guy.

Go...gate
September 19th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Congrats to URI. Seems like a lot of unexpected results the first couple of weeks.

dwtime
September 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM

And I counter with what are you seeing in Tohman that you haven't seen in the past three years? Has there been improvement in his play? No. He is the same game in game out, dink and dunk passes because anything else is an over throw. He will NEVER take this team deep in the playoffs, good O-line, bad O-line, good defense bad defense, too many penalties no penalties it doesn't matter. I don't want UNH to be a 'good little team'. The last two years, this good little team makes the playoffs wins one and loses the next. Maybe we need a new QB coach maybe we need a different QB, I don't know but if Decker has the chance to make more of a difference than Tohman I say put him in and see what we can get. Unless Tohman is significantly more talented than Decker I go with the underclassman who can build upon his experience this season for next season

ngineer
September 19th, 2010, 09:40 PM
This was amazing to hear while at Goodman, and interesting to review. Will be very interesting to see how this effects the Wildcats as we visit on Saturday. One never knows the psyche of college players and how they react to adversity. Should be interesting as Lehigh will likely be playing with their backup QB, who actually acquitted himself quite well against Princeton.

WrenFGun
September 19th, 2010, 10:57 PM
And I counter with what are you seeing in Tohman that you haven't seen in the past three years? Has there been improvement in his play? No. He is the same game in game out, dink and dunk passes because anything else is an over throw. He will NEVER take this team deep in the playoffs, good O-line, bad O-line, good defense bad defense, too many penalties no penalties it doesn't matter. I don't want UNH to be a 'good little team'. The last two years, this good little team makes the playoffs wins one and loses the next. Maybe we need a new QB coach maybe we need a different QB, I don't know but if Decker has the chance to make more of a difference than Tohman I say put him in and see what we can get. Unless Tohman is significantly more talented than Decker I go with the underclassman who can build upon his experience this season for next season

I don't think this criticism is fair. Toman's made some improvements in accuracy this season (when he's not throwing off of his back foot) and has looked better in the open field. I think Toman with a good OL is a lot better than Toman with the crap he got on Saturday. I also think Toman with an Offensive Coordinator who lets him look down field might be more useful, as well.

That said, if that's the offense you're going to run then he's not the guy. Either tailor the offensive gameplan to his skillset or tailor the QB to the offensive gameplan. You can't have it both ways.

UNHFootballAlum
September 20th, 2010, 01:05 AM
I don't think this criticism is fair. Toman's made some improvements in accuracy this season (when he's not throwing off of his back foot) and has looked better in the open field. I think Toman with a good OL is a lot better than Toman with the crap he got on Saturday. I also think Toman with an Offensive Coordinator who lets him look down field might be more useful, as well.

That said, if that's the offense you're going to run then he's not the guy. Either tailor the offensive gameplan to his skillset or tailor the QB to the offensive gameplan. You can't have it both ways.

Man Wren, you are fired up. I just read your post on the UNH Proboards. Defenses are going to blitz the Hell out of us untill we prove we can beat it. LB blitzes right up the A gap. Do we have any sight adjustments when QB & WR see blitz coming? URI also ran the spread option, but I saw some creativity in their playcalling. During the game i was asking myself, why are we not running more complex running schemes and we have very little motion from our WR. One thing that i do know is that coach Mac will not take this lightly. It will be interesting to hear his weekly radio show tomorrow. These are just some of my random thoughts

WrenFGun
September 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Man Wren, you are fired up. I just read your post on the UNH Proboards. Defenses are going to blitz the Hell out of us untill we prove we can beat it. LB blitzes right up the A gap. Do we have any sight adjustments when QB & WR see blitz coming? URI also ran the spread option, but I saw some creativity in their playcalling. During the game i was asking myself, why are we not running more complex running schemes and we have very little motion from our WR. One thing that i do know is that coach Mac will not take this lightly. It will be interesting to hear his weekly radio show tomorrow. These are just some of my random thoughts

I don't really feel fired up. I'm just not really sure how anyone can be inspired by the performance. The vanilla playcalling has long been an issue, and if you look through some other comments I've made, I've long felt this offense is not suited for Toman. It's either the current offense or Toman that need to go because it's far too inconsistent to be successful at this level. That's something that CAN be changed. You really can't do anything about a bad Offensive Line other than to hope they get better, but you can certainly make in-game adjustments, of which none really happened this weekend.

UNHWILDCATS05
September 20th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Speaking of intangibles... watching the game live, I think a HUGE part of this loss was how flat the entire team was. I don't know if we were feeling over confident after keeping it close against PITT or what, but after we went up by two scores, you could almost see the entire team say, "Hey, this is going to be easy, we got this in the bag..." Then as often happens when teams take their foot off the gas, they got sloppy, uninspired play, they let RI hang around and you could almost sense something bad was going to happen...While this does make getting into the playoffs much more difficult, it is by no means impossible. Hey, we would have had to beat some pretty good teams either way. We need to come out next week and put a complete game together to get us on track to make a nice run...