PDA

View Full Version : American Tailgaters Association 2006 Tour

jlargent
January 28th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I am looking for suggestions for great I-AA tailgating locations for our upcoming Fall football schedule and why they are so great. We have been to McNeese, Montana, Texas State, Towson St. and Colgate. Please respond here or on our site at www.atatailgate.com with your suggestions. We really appeciate it!

As a Texas State alumnus, I have been a big fan of I-AA football since the mid 80's and we are going to be doing some awesome programs on our schedule this Fall.

I don't mean to sound like to much of a shill, but this site IS I-AA football expertise and information and we just need a little help.

Great Tailgating,

John Largent, President
American Tailgaters Association

DFW HOYA
January 28th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'd suggest some of the Ivies, esp. Cornell and Harvard (for the Harvard-Yale game.)

colgate13
January 28th, 2006, 09:42 PM
You've been to Colgate?!?!?!?

ButlerGSU
January 28th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I believe Ralph wrote an article about it but Georgia Southern has been known for having a great game day atmosphere. Come down to Paulson for our homecoming in 2006, we're hosting App State October 21st.

HensRock
January 28th, 2006, 10:49 PM
GreatAppSt did an article in I-AA.org this past fall on Delaware tailgating. He took in the action at the Holy Cross game.

Here's the article...
Delaware Tailgate Confidential (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72989)

http://www.gohens.net/images/tailgate.jpg

CatFan22
January 28th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Montana State tailgating is the best! Come visit the other Bobcats!

grizband
January 29th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Montana State tailgating is the best! Come visit the other Bobcats!
I have always wanted to get down there for a tailgate. UM is pretty good, but it does feel a little bit too corporate for my taste. I have heard that MSU has a really good "family feel." I hope Griz fans don't get treated too harsh down there.

catbob
January 29th, 2006, 06:04 AM
I have always wanted to get down there for a tailgate. UM is pretty good, but it does feel a little bit too corporate for my taste. I have heard that MSU has a really good "family feel." I hope Griz fans don't get treated too harsh down there.

Stay away from the students.

MarkCCU
January 29th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Conway, SC..no bias here though :D

ngineer
January 29th, 2006, 09:07 PM
You could try and duplicate the 'double dip' that Ralph may be trying on September 16. 1 p.m. game between Lehigh and Princeton at Lehigh's Goodman Stadium and then a likely 7 p.m. game 15 miles away between Lafayette and Penn at Lafayette's Fisher Field.

grizband
January 30th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I figured as much. I was in the band the in 2003, when you guys won in Bozeman. Some MSU students were trying to fight us while we walked back to our bus.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 30th, 2006, 07:56 AM
This is cross-posted at atatailgate.com.

This is Chuck Burton, the guy who wrote the I-AA.org article that you refer to in your post (rating the top fans in I-AA). I also have a few good articles describing some of the tailgating atmosphere at I-AA locations:

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72427
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=73139
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=73993
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=74400

I'd suggest the following locations for tailgating anytime:

McNeese St.
Delaware
Montana
Georgia Southern
Appalachian State

Other good places for tailgate are "big event" games:

Harvard/Yale ("The Game")
Lehigh/Lafayette ("The most-played rivalry")
The Citadel/VMI ("The Military Classic of the South")
An HBCU "classic" game like Grambling St./Southern or Bethune-Cookman/Florida A&M (HBCU means "Historically Black Colleges & Universities")

If you come out to Lehigh, I will be there! I'm a big Lehigh fan, and I'd like to personally recommend Lehigh/Lafayette for a great time and a great tailgate. Tailgating at Lehigh is always a great time, but Lehigh/Lafayette is where tailgaters take it to another level.

I'm sure there are others that I am missing! Hope you choose some great I-AA locations for tailgating this year!

McNeese72
January 30th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Youngstown's tailgating was pretty good when we went there in 2002. I assume it hasn't gone downhill since.

Our tailgating last year pretty much got literally blown away. It wasn't up to the norm for our only two "true" home games.

Doc

Tribe4SF
January 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
We have a great atmosphere at W&M, the focal point of which is the W&M Quarterback Club parking lot. All spaces are taken by QB Club members, but there are lots of visitors, and the lot draws large crowds for big games.

catbob
January 30th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I figured as much. I was in the band the in 2003, when you guys won in Bozeman. Some MSU students were trying to fight us while we walked back to our bus.

I was in the band in '02 in Missoula and received the same if not worse treatment (damage to my sax). :P

TigerFan17
January 30th, 2006, 02:12 PM
When were you at Towson U? (btw, no more state, that was dropped... :cool: )

Aggie71
January 30th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Don't come to UCD for tailgating unless you only want a baloney and cheese sandwich and a bottle of Evian from your small cooler. Hopefully, things will change when the new stadium is finished (just after our troops leave the Middle East).

Then you can probably walk across the street and get all the fresh milk and cream you can squeeze. Bring your boots.

Go...gate
January 30th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Princeton Stadium in mid-October for the Harvard game.

bustya
January 30th, 2006, 10:27 PM
You might want to come down to see JSU cook some jag this year. xlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 31st, 2006, 10:29 AM
This is cross-posted at atatailgate.com.

An HBCU "classic" game like Grambling St./Southern or Bethune-Cookman/Florida A&M (HBCU means "Historically Black Colleges & Universities"
No one tailgates at the Bayou Classic. There is no where to tailgate @ the superdome. If you want to experience the super bowl of tailgates come to SU vs Jackson St. Over 30,000 folks tailgating @ a 1-aa game. :nod:

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 31st, 2006, 10:30 AM
You might want to come down to see JSU cook some jag this year. xlolx
You mean Jags cook some tiger meat. You know we outnumber y'all at the tailgate 10-1. We take over your city that weekend and you know it.

GAD
January 31st, 2006, 10:37 AM
Come to any Southern home game there is a reason Baton Rouge is the #1 tailgating city in America and it ain't jus cause LSU is here

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM
Come to any Southern home game there is a reason Baton Rouge is the #1 tailgating city in America and it ain't jus cause LSU is here
Yea, did you see the FM magazine tailgating addition 2003 season. Southern University was ranked 14th in the nation and LSU was like 7. I think KC Chiefs was no.1 overall. No other 1-aa was even mentioned. One day they will give us our credit. If any of you guys want to experience something please come to SU vs JSU this season. You will be shocked.

bandl
January 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM
Yea, did you see the FM magazine tailgating addition 2003 season. Southern University was ranked 14th in the nation and LSU was like 7. I think KC Chiefs was no.1 overall. No other 1-aa was even mentioned. One day they will give us our credit. If any of you guys want to experience something please come to SU vs JSU this season. You will be shocked.

I've been to a few SEC/ACC tailgates....they were insane. So many people, so much booze and grub, so much fun, and so much school pride. How do you think they compare to a SU/JSU tailgate?

SUjagTILLiDIE
January 31st, 2006, 10:24 PM
I've been to a few SEC/ACC tailgates....they were insane. So many people, so much booze and grub, so much fun, and so much school pride. How do you think they compare to a SU/JSU tailgate?
SU/JSU> lsu. SU homecoming>lsu.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM
http://home.thirdage.com/Education/nonchalant/JSUsu03.jpg
SU vs JSU 03

Proud Griz Man
February 2nd, 2006, 03:39 PM

Stay away from students? I heard a story about a Montana State guy in his mid-40's spitting on Griz fans without being provoked. :eyebrow:

And this follows the vandalism of the North Dakota State vehicle. : retard :