PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 9-13

JALMOND
September 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM
After two weeks in the Big Sky, the dust settling and all the teams have won one game and lost one game. Some have been good games and some have been not so good. As a whole, the conference had many questions coming in to the season and some questions have been answered and some remain. Here are the power rankings for this week. All are my opinions only and all are open for discussion. This week (last week).

1. Montana State (2)---Right up to the end, it looked like the Bobcats were going to get a win over Washington State and give the Big Sky their first win over the Pac-10 since 1996. However, a last minute field goal and a final defensive stand did the Bobcats in. Still, the effort was there and, combined with the blowout win the first week of the season, the Bobcats have moved to the top. This week, they welcome Ash's former team, Drake to their comfy home.

2. Montana (1)---As we all waited for the Grizzlies to pull out another road win, it was for naught. Cal Poly held on and the Grizzlies headed home with a tough loss. Is this just a small pothole this year or a sign of how things will be? We all will soon find out. This week, the start to the conference season as the Grizzlies head out to Eastern Washington. A game that could easily go either way and the last thing the Grizzlies need is another loss.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---A good showing in the first week at FBS Nevada gave the Eagles hope that this could be a great year. Then they followed that up with a lackluster performance in Seattle that almost went bad against DII Central Washington. Which team is the real Eagle team? They better find them soon as this week the powerful Montana team comes calling. Here's hoping the good Eagle team shows up.

4. Northern Arizona (4)---The Jacks preserved some of the conference dignity this past weekend as they took on the Pac-10's Arizona State, just a week after ASU snuffed out Portland State. The Jacks remained pretty competitive throughout and at the end, the score was respectable. This week, a good time for a bye to reflect on the start of the conference season.

5. Sacramento State (6)---Injuries hit the Hornet team hard this past weekend in their win over DII Western Oregon. Some were slight, but there were some serious injuries. Unfortunately, this was the year that the Hornet faithful were hoping to make some waves. Can they overcome the injury bug as they welcome Weber State to their happy hive? A win would show that everything is back on track, is it?

6. Weber State (5)---The Wildcats took their own sweet time last weekend in dispensing with a pesky Northern Colorado team, taking 4 overtimes to finally come out with a great conference win. Higgins is beginning to come into form and the Wildcats are taking shape as well. This weekend they will head to Sacramento State, another upstart who thinks this year is their year. Can the Wildcats knock them down a peg, too.

7. Northern Colorado (7)---Oh, so close as usual. Typical of the Bears when playing Weber State, that they play the game close, and are good enough to win, yet they find themselves on the short end. This game went 4 overtimes before the Bears finally succumbed. This year was supposed to be a good year for the Bears. Now they have to jumpstart it with a game at home against Idaho State.

8. Portland State (9)---After looking dreadful against the Pac-10 Arizona State, the Vikings gave hope to its fans that they can at least play against the FCS, getting a hard fought win on the road at UC-Davis, a team that lost one time at home last year. Getting some good offensive plays and combining them with good defense at times, the Vikings emerged with a victory. This weekend, they go back to the Pac-10 with a game at Oregon.

9. Idaho State (8)---After getting a win in their first game of the season, the Bengals were hoping to continue with a trip to FBS Utah State. Not like Oklahoma of last year (or Arizona State), the Bengals were hoping to remain competitive. However, nothing seemed to go right and the Bengals needed two late scores to make it seem closer. This weekend, a start to the conference season with a trip to Northern Colorado. They got a win in their first game, can they get a win in their first conference game?

GtFllsGriz
September 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Good analysis as usual Jalmond. I figured all along that the Cal Poly and EWU games would be huge for a team with a new coaching staff and lots of new faces. It would have been easier to start the season with ISU & PSU.........or would it? I look for this season to be very difficult for the Griz. The conference as a whole seems to be tougher. And we all know that the Griz won some games last year that they easily could have lost. Lots of talent but football is a team sport so we will see how rapidly the talent can evolve into a strong "team." It will be a fun year with no "gimme" games. The Cats deserve to be where you have them. They look awefully tough to me. This week will be interesting...as they all will.

I Bleed Purple
September 14th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have tough time believing Weber is the fifth best team in conference.

The team looks to me like the same as last year.

putter
September 14th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Cats looked tough and the Griz shot themselves in the foot against a team that you can't do that against. Montana needs to find some balance or it will be an interesting year and I hope that the D can keep Jones from running loose....too much

JMUNJ08
September 14th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I have tough time believing Weber is the fifth best team in conference.

The team looks to me like the same as last year.

He has you in 6th xchinscratchx

However, looking at the great analysis by Jalmond as usual, you can see how muddled the BSC is with everyone at 1-1 and little to compare. The top 6/7 teams can all give each other fits and could be in a position at the least for a playoff spot come November. Welcome to the entertaining world of the CAAxhurrayxxhurrayx

TokyoGriz
September 15th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Big week to see what is or will be in Big Sky conf. for sure.

Montana will have to focus, work together, and perform to get back into the groove. Clearly O line, QB, Punter, and special teams will need to take it up couple notches to meet the challenge. Should be interesting to watch the EWU game and see if they are up to the challenge.

Glad T. Jones is back and will play our D needs to be pushed hard.

wapiti
September 15th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I would probably put Sac State at # 7 and move BBQ and NC up one.

I'm not sure if I would put MSU at # 1. If they had beat WSU then yes, but they did not.

If possible I would leave # 1 vacant and have a three way tie for 2nd between MSU, UM and EWU, with NAU at 3.