PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on FBS games?

achrist70
September 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
With the gap between FBS and FCS seeming to be closer than it has ever been what is your guys take on how these games should affect things such as Polls and playoffs.

A few basic questions

1. How big are some of these wins really? (I consider JMU's Big)
2. Should a close loss raise a team in the polls?
3. If a upper level FCS team lays an egg against an FBS team how should that affect the polls? (Not trying to start something with SIU fans but I was a little surprised to see them in top 5 or 6 after being beat 35-3 by a very average Illinois team)
4. How much should a team be penalized concerning the playoffs if the play a FBS team, compared to another which didn't play one? (Obviously one got the victory and one didn't)

Sly Fox
September 13th, 2010, 08:00 PM
The selection committee seems infatuated with close losses FWIW.

ValleyChamp
September 13th, 2010, 08:05 PM
1. The wins are becoming less and less big, as the talent gap has narrowed between the divisions.
2. I don't think you should ever rise up after a loss, but I think it is fair if some teams remain at their current postion because of a close loss to an FBS.
3. I think that is all subjective. If you get blown out by a bad FBS team, you should drop. If you lose to a ranked FBS team, and keep it respective, I don't think the penalty should be too steep.
4. That is a tough question. I say you treat a team with a good FBS loss, and an undefeated FCS team that played no FBS game equally. I don't think you should take some team that hasn't lost but played some team like Quincy or whatever instead of an FBS game, over a team that might have 1 loss and that loss is to Florida (or whoever).

UNI Pike
September 13th, 2010, 08:09 PM
On point #2, I disagree with ValleyChamp, respectfully. If Montana, JMU, SIU, or whoever stays within 7 points of Alabama or Ohio State (this year at least), I am looking at moving them up, unless it was some kind of real fluke. I would say that is a very small possibility this year.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 13th, 2010, 08:29 PM
1. Any FCS win over FBS is big, but some are bigger than others. A win of Michigan or Alabama is obviously a lot harder than a win over Temple or Akron.
2. No, a loss is a loss, and it should not raise your rank regardless of how close it was or how good the team you played was. The FCS teams have the option of scheduling the FBS games or not, if they want to take the gamble for a potentially huge win they also have to realize that they are facing a greater chance of defeat.
3. Again, a loss is a loss, and the strength of opponent should be factored in just as it would be in a FCS/FCS game.
4. I'm confused, are you saying a team should be penalized just for taking a FBS game? A loss to a FBS should be similar to a loss for an OOC FCS team. If a CAA team loses to Florida, they can still sweep the CAA. For at large bids, if the FBS team was the one of only a couple losses, there is a good chance they are getting into the playoffs anyway.

Sly Fox
September 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I would disagree on #4, BlueHenSinfonian. That hasn't been our experience.

nmatsen
September 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
If the number 6 FCS team (don't even know who that is) goes into Alabama Saturday and goes 4 overtimes and eventually loses to the Tide, I am going to vote them number 1 the next week. Those of you that don't think they would be deserving would be delusional.

ToTheLeft
September 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
"A loss is a loss" is the wrong side of the fine balance that's needed, with the opposite, and also incorrect side, being "Well, they got more first downs and really competed!" (this statement is my opinion, not some rule on how to make a poll...)

I think Montana State hanging in there with Washington State should get some credit, and I wouldn't bolt them up the charts for it, but, say, if you had McNeese and MSU in the same ballpark, I'm going to say you should put MSU ahead because McNeese hasn't shown us much (The Lamar game wasn't pretty at all) and MSU showed they can compete with a Pac-10 team.

There has to be a balance tho, because we can't go moving Coastal up because they "played some good defense" in a 31-0 loss to WVU. But say Gardner-Webb had lost in OT to Akron, I think that should be grounds to move them up, or at least keep them where you had them before. If JMU had surrendered their lead and lost to VT on a late score, I'd say that's still a game that should move them up.

Sonic98
September 14th, 2010, 03:28 PM
I personally don't think FBS games don't mean much unless you win. Of course losing in a close game looks much better than getting spanked no matter whether its an FBS or FCS opponent. But outside of that I don't see the benefit other than money if you're one of the top FCS teams. If you're consistently in the Top 15, go ahead and make that money and see if you can compete against some of the lower FBS teams. Everyone needs to focus on playing other FCS competition and improving their program. As for the effect o ranking, it should only be part of an equation. You can play a good FBS closely, then get whooped pretty bad 3 FCS games in a row because there are a lot of factors involved in how well you play or don't play against a certain team

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I think the gap is still quite large. Now, maybe not as much for some of the MAC schools and SunBelt, but the gap is still quite large. Not many FCS teams can compete with UGA's 11 million dollar football budget.

Things were much tighter in the 80s. Furman, for instance, was arguably the best team in the Carolinas for a time. Money has taken over and the playing field became uneven. While I cheer the handful of games the FCS wins each year, how many more do we lose?

VUCats02
September 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
These questions are pretty vague. It all depends on the FBS team. If a team lays an egg to Florida, it shouldn't hurt them for playoff consideration. If a team lays an egg to Ball St, it should very much count against them. If we're talking about the top-middle of the pack FBS teams, a close loss is better than a DII win imo.

darell1976
September 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM
With the gap between FBS and FCS seeming to be closer than it has ever been what is your guys take on how these games should affect things such as Polls and playoffs.

A few basic questions

1. How big are some of these wins really? (I consider JMU's Big)
2. Should a close loss raise a team in the polls?
3. If a upper level FCS team lays an egg against an FBS team how should that affect the polls? (Not trying to start something with SIU fans but I was a little surprised to see them in top 5 or 6 after being beat 35-3 by a very average Illinois team)
4. How much should a team be penalized concerning the playoffs if the play a FBS team, compared to another which didn't play one? (Obviously one got the victory and one didn't)

For UND:

1. Big because it would be our first FBS win.
2. Depends on the FBS team if you lose 35-34 to Alabama then yes but 35-34 to Eastern Michigan probably not.
3. A loss is a loss and it should be affected in the polls.
4. This is the reason why some D2 teams don't play FCS teams you do get penalized because only D2 wins matter. In 2006 did UND get a better chance in the playoffs by beating UNI no they didn't so I would say they shouldn't get penalized.