PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Furman Schedule

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM
We play a I-A and a D-II. That has been FU's typical scheduling. I have been a supporter of that in the past, but not sure anymore. Would prefer an all D-I schedule.

PS, Who is West Georgia?

I llike the way the schedule ends, someone finally got smart and made the GSU game the last one of the year, :hurray:

ASU third from last. That along with GSU can be bad as far as playoff perception goes.

Chants, Sweet Ice Tea on Oct 7 :nod:

http://furmanpaladins.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012706aab.html

Sept. 2 Jacksonville State
Sept. 9 West Georgia
Sept. 16 at North Carolina
Sept. 23 Western Carolina
Sept. 30 at Wofford
Oct. 7 at Coastal Carolina
Oct. 14 The Citadel (Parents' Weekend)
Oct. 21 Chattanooga (Homecoming)
Oct. 28 at Appalachian State
Nov. 4 at Elon
Nov. 11 Georgia Southern

Coastal89
January 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
No open date during the season? :confused:

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
No open date during the season? :confused:

Looks like we got the GSU schedule. Open date before opening round of the playoffs. So if we don't make the playoffs, then no open date.

JaxSinfonian
January 27th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Nice. Sept. 2 looks like a great day to finally get a win over the Paladins. :)

West Georgia is a member of the D-II Gulf South Conference, along with teams such as Valdosta State, North Alabama, Central Arkansas, et al. That was JSU's conference home until 1993.

They're also right in our backyard. Carrollton's just over the state line, about a 45-minute to one-hour drive from J'ville. They've made some rumblings lately about a move to I-AA, but they'll have to build their own stadium first, and stop borrowing the local high school's field.

It's a shame Furman didn't schedule this game last year; they could have picked up the Braves on their way home (after that horrible, horrible, last-second touchdown) and given them a ride to Greenville.

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 01:19 PM

West Georgia is a member of the D-II Gulf South Conference, along with teams such as Valdosta State, North Alabama, Central Arkansas, et al. That was JSU's conference home until 1993.

They're also right in our backyard. Carrollton's just over the state line, about a 45-minute to one-hour drive from J'ville. They've made some rumblings lately about a move to I-AA, but they'll have to build their own stadium first, and stop borrowing the local high school's field.

It's a shame Furman didn't schedule this game last year; they could have picked up the Braves on their way home (after that horrible, horrible, last-second touchdown) and given them a ride to Greenville.

Bring 'em with ya this year. After we beat you guys on saturday, we will play them Sunday and that will give us the open date we are missing. :)

Sept 2 seems like forever :mad:

EagleCrusade
January 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM

(Awkward silence coming out of Georgia Southern fans regarding West Georgia.)

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
(Awkward silence coming out of Georgia Southern fans regarding West Georgia.)

Reminder to add to oxymoron list. :rolleyes:

I am assuming that is criticism :confused:

I will be honest. I don't understand. BUt it is typical for FU. Play a 1-A then Play a D-II.

blueballs
January 27th, 2006, 03:33 PM

I will be honest. I don't understand. BUt it is typical for FU. Play a 1-A then Play a D-II.

We (hack) lost (cough) to (puke) West (hack) f-ing (cough) Georgia (puke) in Statesboro (puke) during the Stowers (hack, cough, puke) era.

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 03:40 PM
We (hack) lost (cough) to (puke) West (hack) f-ing (cough) Georgia (puke) in Statesboro (puke) during the Stowers (hack, cough, puke) era.

Oooohhhhh. waa waa

We have lost a few of those. :o

:beerchug:

With our occasional bad luck, we will lose to W. Ga and beat UNC :nod:

EagleCrusade
January 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM

By that I means (clears throat for a rediculously long time) no (again clears throat and looks away) critizism.

SochorField
January 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Damn. No UC Davis.....oh well, maybe some other time.

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Is this one of your cheer leaders :D :nod: :nod:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7402&page=2

Hansel
January 27th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Or NDSU :bawling:

in FB at least...........

Purple Knight
January 27th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Playing GSU and ASU at the end of the season means 2005 was the last year for three SoCon teams in the playoffs. You think this is smart? Somebody up there is brain-dead. And West Ga? Why?

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Playing GSU and ASU at the end of the season means 2005 was the last year for three SoCon teams in the playoffs. You think this is smart? Somebody up there is brain-dead. And West Ga? Why?

I think it is potentially bad for us, if we lose both games, but potentially good, if we look shaky going into the last of the season and win one or two.

I don't think it means the end to three teams. I have not seen the GSU and ASU schedule. But if we lose both, we had better be undefeated after game 8.

I agree on W Ga. We seem to have done a good job of getting future games. Was this just one that we could fill? As I said before, I used to agree with the play I-A then play a D-II but with the 7 win qualification, I no longer think that is smart.

OL FU
January 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Cal Davis and NDSU,

I am bummed about that too. I think playing quality I-AA west teams would be tremendous. Since we have started branching out a little more, JSU, Del, and Colgate, I think it is time to cross the Mississippi a time or two.

dungeonjoe
January 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
I think it is potentially bad for us, if we lose both games, but potentially good, if we look shaky going into the last of the season and win one or two.

I don't think it means the end to three teams. I have not seen the GSU and ASU schedule. But if we lose both, we had better be undefeated after game 8.

I agree on W Ga. We seem to have done a good job of getting future games. Was this just one that we could fill? As I said before, I used to agree with the play I-A then play a D-II but with the 7 win qualification, I no longer think that is smart.

Keeping your focus only on GSU and APP in the SoCon and FU will wind up : retard :

catamount man
January 27th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Good schedule, but no open date? Well, WCU can't say much. Our open date is September 9th, then 10 straight games, after our August 31 opener of course. See you Paladins on Sept.23rd. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

SoCon48
January 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM

Playing GSU last game helps maintain rankings for both teams until the last minute.

ASU Kep
January 28th, 2006, 12:19 AM

Going to make for one helluva exciting homestretch next year in the SOCON. And this is only the first year of a revolving schedule, so don't your panties in too tight of a wad. ASU had to run the gauntlet of Furman-Woffy-GSU consecutively for several years if I'm not mistaken (though not in that order). Look at this past season. I think at least beforehand we would have prefered an Elon in between Furman and GSU. ASU IMHO caught the worst of it for a while.

Beat GSU, lose to us, win the games your 'posed to, and FU will again be making a post-season trek up the mountains for a quick end to their playoff run. So like I said, un-wad your britches.

FU97
January 28th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I've heard that ASU and GSU play right after our game with ASU and before our game with GSU. So while we get a break between the two, they play in back to back weeks. I have a pretty good idea what games will be the SoCon game of the week those three weeks in a row.

OL FU
January 28th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Keeping your focus only on GSU and APP in the SoCon and FU will wind up : retard :

Joe, I don't think we have to worry about that. I seem to remember FU getting tripped up pretty early in 2005. Without that loss, FU is 10-1 and ASU is travelling to Paladin stadium for the playoffs.

Purple Knight
January 28th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Going to make for one helluva exciting homestretch next year in the SOCON. And this is only the first year of a revolving schedule, so don't your panties in too tight of a wad. ASU had to run the gauntlet of Furman-Woffy-GSU consecutively for several years if I'm not mistaken (though not in that order). Look at this past season. I think at least beforehand we would have prefered an Elon in between Furman and GSU. ASU IMHO caught the worst of it for a while.

Beat GSU, lose to us, win the games your 'posed to, and FU will again be making a post-season trek up the mountains for a quick end to their playoff run. So like I said, un-wad your britches.

IMHO, this is not a FU, ASU or GSU thing, it is a SoCon thing re: number of teams in playoffs. It's not who you play consecutively but who you play at the end of the season. Agreed, another game between the big Three matchups is best. Last year you had 5 games to recover any lost ground if it had occurred. This year, two, one or none. Only time will tell if this rescheduling is wise.

BigApp
January 29th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Now, you're seeing what Appalachian has been up against since Marshall left (not making excuses, just a fact).

Furman, GaSouthern, Wofford in consecutive weeks...every single year...

OL FU
January 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Now, you're seeing what Appalachian has been up against since Marshall left (not making excuses, just a fact).

Furman, GaSouthern, Wofford in consecutive weeks...every single year...

I don't think that is what he was talking about. Teams drop in the polls with a loss, if they lose is early you have time to recover, if the loss is late in the season, you don't.

MarkCCU
January 29th, 2006, 05:43 PM
We play a I-A and a D-II. That has been FU's typical scheduling. I have been a supporter of that in the past, but not sure anymore. Would prefer an all D-I schedule.

PS, Who is West Georgia?

I llike the way the schedule ends, someone finally got smart and made the GSU game the last one of the year, :hurray:

ASU third from last. That along with GSU can be bad as far as playoff perception goes.

Chants, Sweet Ice Tea on Oct 7 :nod:

http://furmanpaladins.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012706aab.html

Sept. 2 Jacksonville State
Sept. 9 West Georgia
Sept. 16 at North Carolina
Sept. 23 Western Carolina
Sept. 30 at Wofford
Oct. 7 at Coastal Carolina
Oct. 14 The Citadel (Parents' Weekend)
Oct. 21 Chattanooga (Homecoming)
Oct. 28 at Appalachian State
Nov. 4 at Elon
Nov. 11 Georgia Southern

October 7, 2006
Me and my fellow CCU Alumi and 1st Cousin Hank will be hosting a tailgating party for our uncle Robert, a Furman grad. We will be there and I am hereby inviting and AGS'er to come and have a beer. The password is "AGS"

blukeys
January 29th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Delaware tries to do this but has not been successful. Most of the Navy matches have occurred in the middle of the A-10 season. I know this is not KC's preference. It seems that there is a let down after playing a I-A. Scheduling a D-2 next makes sense.