PDA

View Full Version : Missioulian confirms $650K payout.

Ronbo
January 27th, 2006, 11:39 AM
The numbers are out, and Iowa took Oregon's “sticker shock” payout and raised it 200 large.

When the Iowa Hawkeyes host the I-AA Montana Grizzlies in football Sept. 2, it'll be for $650,000. That's a pretty nice bump from the $450,000 the University of Oregon spent to bring in UM last September.

Even without these tough times, with UM's athletic department still trying to rid itself of a deficit, that is several buckets of money.

“To our knowledge, it's the largest I-AA game guarantee in the history of football,” said Robert Duringer, UM's vice president for administration and finance. “There are bigger ones if you're Notre Dame going to USC, but this is huge for us.”

The Story (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/01/27/sports/sports3.txt)

lucchesicourt
January 27th, 2006, 11:43 AM
And everyone says there is no money in football at the 1AA level. That in the playoffs the school doesn't make money. Well, if Montana hadn't done well in 1AA would they have gotten this amount. I don't think so. So, I would like members of 1AA to realize that college football, basketball, and maybe some others are about the money.

mainejeff
January 27th, 2006, 12:09 PM
With payouts like this, I-AA would be crazy not to approve 12 game seasons!

Ronbo
January 27th, 2006, 12:46 PM
It looks like Montana has set our bar pretty high. No WAC, MWC, MAC, C-USA, Sunbelt, or Big East schools would consider playing us now. This could be a nice upside for the other I-AA schools if they negotiate well and bring up this payout during talks. Should put more money in everyone's budget.

Marcus Garvey
January 27th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Only those teams who can get "gurantee games" would want 12 games. I don't see Georgetown playing Maryland anytime soon with a 12 or an 11 game schedule.

grizbeer
January 27th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Wanna hear something funny? Idaho is only getting $600,000 to open the 2007 season at Southern Cal. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Idaho – University of Idaho and University of Southern California officials have agreed to play one another in the 2007 football season opener at the Coliseum.

UI coach Nick Holt, who worked for three seasons under USC’s Pete Carroll, was instrumental in the game being scheduled for Sept. 1, 2007.

“This provides a tremendous opportunity for exposure not only for the athletic department but for the University of Idaho,” UI director of athletics Rob Spear said. “We don’t often have an occasion to play in southern California. This provides that opportunity and for the alumni and booster events associated with it.”

Spear confirmed there is a $600,000 game guarantee.

USC is one of four non-conference games for the Vandals in 2007. UI also will play at Washington State and play host to Eastern Michigan and Cal Poly. The remainder of the 12-game schedule will be filled with Western Athletic Conference teams.

http://www.uiathletics.com/pages/sport.asp?Action=DrawNewsArticle&SportID=1&NewsID=3291&PageID=12

LBPop
January 27th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Only those teams who can get "gurantee games" would want 12 games. I don't see Georgetown playing Maryland anytime soon with a 12 or an 11 game schedule.

Ouch! Talk about a conflict--I'm a Maryland Alum writing checks to Georgetown! However, speaking of Maryland, I see that they will open with William & Mary. Anyone out there know if there is a guarantee and how much?

There are some dreamers out there who are envisioning a Georgetown vs. Navy game. Coach Kelly has the connection, but the quality of play at Georgetown will have to improve greatly for that to happen.

Hansel
January 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Wanna hear something funny? Idaho is only getting $600,000 to open the 2007 season at Southern Cal. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

http://www.uiathletics.com/pages/sport.asp?Action=DrawNewsArticle&SportID=1&NewsID=3291&PageID=12
hope poly takes Idaho to the shed in 07

GoGuins
January 27th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Even without these tough times, with UM's athletic department still trying to rid itself of a deficit, that is several buckets of money.
The Story (http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2006/01/27/sports/sports3.txt)

How is Montana's athletic dept in the red?

Tod
January 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
How is Montana's athletic dept in the red?

I think somebody else will give you a better answer, but in the meantime... I believe it was in 2004 that an audit was done and the Athletic Department came up about $1,000,000 in the red. It came as quite a shock to most of us. I'm not sure where that money went. I believe the agreement is to pay back $200K per year over five years, but it looks like we'll be able to pay it off much sooner.

Sorry, pretty lame explanation, but it's all I've got.

Like I said, another Griz fan will probably shed more light. :read:

Mr. C
January 27th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Obviously, the Griz are a better draw and will give Iowa a better game than Idaho could against ANY top-caliber team. You still have to wonder what the Vandals were thinking by moving from the Big Sky Conference and going I-A?

Ronbo
January 27th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I heard the combination of a mistake in how much the trip to Maine would cost and a free spending Basketball Coach Pat Kennedy caused some of the shortfall. And then there is all the money losing no revenue sports.

I guess we spent in excess of $100K more than budgeted to go to Maine. Then Pat Kennedy was spending money on basketball travel like we were North Carolina, first class everything and expensive restaurants.

Boom, before you know it we go over budget by a million bucks.

slostang
January 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM
hope poly takes Idaho to the shed in 07
Hansel, where did you see that Poly is playing Idaho in 07? I know Cal Poly would like to schedule one to two I-A games each year.

catamount man
January 28th, 2006, 06:22 AM

Amen brother!!! I think WCU is getting around $350,000 from Florida this upcoming season, but at those numbers Iowa is tossing about, I'd take on another I-A as well. It's gonna happen sooner than later. It has to! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

McTailGator
January 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Yea, but we got to get many of the I-AA's that are new to the guarantee world of I-A to quit excepting small payouts from BCS schools.

SLU is reported to be going to Texas Tech for less than $225,000.

THAT MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT FOR THE REST OF US WHO REALLY NEED BIGGER PAYDAYS.

Marcus Garvey
January 29th, 2006, 12:07 PM
SLU is reported to be going to Texas Tech for less than $225,000.

That's about all Texas Tech can afford. They only averaged 50,972 (according to the NCAA) last year. They are, and always will be, the unwanted bastard step-child of Texas college football. The way UTEP is improving under Mike Price, the Red Raiders are in danger of becoming the 4th most popular college team in the state of Texas.

I'm not familiar with Lubbock and how large the population is in the region, but UNC, Arizona and Kentucky (all basketball schools) averaged more butts in the stands than Texas Tech.

JaxStateManager
January 29th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Rumor has it that Jacksonville State is getting $275,000 to play Mississippi State at Starkville on October 14.

Obzerver
January 29th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Eastern Washington is getting $300,000 to play Oregon State and it's close enough to almost bus there...saving major bucks!

Tod
January 29th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Eastern Washington is getting $300,000 to play Oregon State and it's close enough to almost bus there...saving major bucks!

Definitely a possible I-AA victory as well... :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

RockyMtnGriz
January 30th, 2006, 09:54 AM
A substantial amount of the red ink for the Griz was as a result of the Adam Center (Griz BB arena). It was remodeled several years ago, but the estimated revenue never appeared. Reasons for the revenue shortfall are many. Many old mbb season ticket holders got PO'd and didn't renew. Estimated new season ticket holders didn't appear. A bad coaching change.

Things are starting to turn around with the Adams Center. The mbb is has improved with new coaching (ex Griz star Larry Krystkowiak) and attendance is also improving.

PMB4Life
January 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM
We got 325,000 from Iowa last year. Whatever you said to them to get them to go to 650,000 (!), keep saying it. It appears to be working.

TigerFan17
January 30th, 2006, 02:10 PM
650k!? Can we borrow some?

Hmm...Pat Kennedy... Where did he end up? :read: :o

RockyMtnGriz
January 30th, 2006, 04:03 PM
How's Pat Kennedy working for you over there at Towson?

grizbeer
January 30th, 2006, 04:55 PM
A substantial amount of the red ink for the Griz was as a result of the Adam Center (Griz BB arena). It was remodeled several years ago, but the estimated revenue never appeared. Reasons for the revenue shortfall are many. Many old mbb season ticket holders got PO'd and didn't renew. Estimated new season ticket holders didn't appear. A bad coaching change.

Things are starting to turn around with the Adams Center. The mbb is has improved with new coaching (ex Griz star Larry Krystkowiak) and attendance is also improving.basketball attendance is starting to turn around, but I'm not sure Adams Centers finances are. I heard from somebody who works at the U that they won't be trying to book concerts anymore (a major source of revenue) because they don't want to damage the new floor - it can't be removed. This person also said the circus is supposed to be coming, and they need to drill holes in the new floor for their poles, and they aren't sure how they are going to deal with it.

I'm not sure what this would do to home shows and other similar events that use the main playing surface - they might be scaled down to just the Aux Gyms and the GA section, but it would sure take a chunk out of Adams Center Revenue. Oh, and just for good measure, the roof is leaking.

The Adams Center remodel will go down as one of Montana's great all-time facility blunders, and will probably end up 2nd to Dornblazer.

AZGrizFan
January 30th, 2006, 06:35 PM
basketball attendance is starting to turn around, but I'm not sure Adams Centers finances are. I heard from somebody who works at the U that they won't be trying to book concerts anymore (a major source of revenue) because they don't want to damage the new floor - it can't be removed. This person also said the circus is supposed to be coming, and they need to drill holes in the new floor for their poles, and they aren't sure how they are going to deal with it.

I'm not sure what this would do to home shows and other similar events that use the main playing surface - they might be scaled down to just the Aux Gyms and the GA section, but it would sure take a chunk out of Adams Center Revenue. Oh, and just for good measure, the roof is leaking.

The Adams Center remodel will go down as one of Montana's great all-time facility blunders, and will probably end up 2nd to Dornblazer.

Wow. I remember back in the day (late 70's) going to games with Michael Ray Richardson and that place was ROCKIN'! It was SRO, and tickets were impossible to get. That's depressing to hear that the place is going to hell in a handbasket. Doesn't bode well for Krysto's long-term plans if they don't bring that place up to par in a hurry.... :( :(

grizbeer
January 30th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Wow. I remember back in the day (late 70's) going to games with Michael Ray Richardson and that place was ROCKIN'! It was SRO, and tickets were impossible to get. That's depressing to hear that the place is going to hell in a handbasket. Doesn't bode well for Krysto's long-term plans if they don't bring that place up to par in a hurry.... :( :(I may have over-stated the case - the arena is pretty nice for basketball - not perfect, but pretty nice, and holds about 7,000 - the old configuration held around 9,000. The new floor is very nice, and there is a multi-sided scoreboard suspended above center court, with a video screen above the north GA. The practice courts are very good, and the hall of champions and athletics office are nice touches.

There are 2 areas where the arena is lacking - 1) the concourses are fairly narrow, limiting concession sales during busy times, and 2) and this is most important, too many corners were cut to bring down the cost, and it doesn't make a good multi-purpose arena.

To save money a light weight ceiling rack system was installed - unfortunately it doesn't meet the standards for most of todays rock concerts - Pearl jam plays there because of Jeff Ament, and bands that are way past their prime, or just coming up will still hit town, but the big rock shows now all go to Bozeman because Adams Center is not a suitable concert venue, and the reduced seating from the remodel lower the number of tickets that can be sold.

you wouldn't think that would be such a big deal, except that concert are really the only way to pay for the arena. There is no way to pay for it with basketball ticket sales.

Adams Center is probably the 2nd nicest facility in the BSC after WSU (maybe 3rd after MSU?), but doesn't come close to say Boise State or UW. It really would have been better to wait until they had the money and do it right, but there was too much compromise in the remodel. I suspect that if basketball gets popular again there will be pressure to build a new arena in the next 5 - 10 years.

BTW, this year the Mens team has averaged 4,852 per game, and over the last 5 games has averaged close to 5700, despite the students being out of town for 3 of those games, so the trend is looking good. The Montana women are in the top 25 for attendance nationally.

Sorry for taking this thread so off topic.

RockyMtnGriz
January 31st, 2006, 09:07 AM
Be prepared for bb ticket prices to start going up if concert revenue isn't coming in. Might bump them a $1 or $2.

We went to the game on saturday. Paid general admission, $6 a seat and my two kids get in for free. Great deal. Should have gone with reserve seat and paid for the kids, only $7 a seat, and wouldn't have had to deal with the dorks standing at the rail blocking our view.

bcrawf
January 31st, 2006, 10:01 AM
We are getting $350,000 from Iowa State the next three years!!

Upset alert- We fall in between Texas and Nebraska on their schedule this year. With Dan McCarney being the worst coach in America they will not be up to play that day and will already be thinking about Nebraska, UNI by 2 touchdowns!! :hyped:

GAD
January 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM
When we played Tulane in 2001 & 2002 we split the gate