PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Poll - Week 3

biggie
September 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
2010 FCS Coaches Week 1 Poll (September 13, 2010)

Team (No. 1 Votes Record Points Last Week
1. Appalachian State (11) 2-0 671 3
2. Villanova (8) 1-1 655 4
3. James Madison (5) 2-0 640 11
4. Jacksonville State (2) 2-0 587 6
5. Southern Illinois (1) 1-1 523 2
6. Montana 1-1 479 1
7. Elon 1-1 478 8
8. New Hampshire 1-1 475 5
9. Richmond 0-1 473 7
10. Northern Iowa (1) 1-0 423 13
11. Stephen F. Austin 1-1 398 12
12. Delaware 2-0 397 17
13. William & Mary 1-1 343 14
14. Liberty 2-0 297 18
15. Massachusetts 2-0 274 20
16. Eastern Washington 1-1 266 15
17. South Carolina State 1-1 260 16
18. Cal-Poly 2-0 243 NR
19. McNeese State 1-1 212 10
20. Weber State 1-1 199 19
21. South Dakota State 1-1 166 9
22. Montana State 1-1 112 23
23. North Dakota State 1-1 86 21
24. South Dakota 1-1 77 NR
25. Furman 1-0 72 NR

Others receiving votes (points in parentheses): Gardner-Webb (69), Northern Arizona (31), Georgia Southern (27), Penn (26), Illinois State (23), Harvard (21), Prairie View A&M (16), Southeastern Louisiana (15), Southern Utah (12), Alabama State (10), Eastern Illinois (10), Texas State (10), Colgate (7), Old Dominion (4), Youngstown State (4), Missouri State (3), Butler (2), Central Arkansas (2), Florida A&M (2)

EDIT: Found the other link:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/polls?poll=7

biggie
September 13th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Was trying to find a link on NCAA or SoConSports, but so far just the local Boone paper:

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/story/ASU_voted_No._1_in_coaches_poll_id_003745

Not really a shock since they dropped 'Nova below App last week.

superman7515
September 13th, 2010, 04:08 PM
James Madison gets votes in the AP poll and can't even get first place here. Lame.

appybybirth
September 13th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I am an App guy, but how JMU is not #1 is beyond me.

rufus
September 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
JMU is constantly disrespected in FCS polls. We're used to it.

I'm pretty sure we barely passed App State to grab the #1 spot when we beat them head-to-head a couple years back. People still voted for App State.

Luckily the polls don't mean much unless you're on the playoff bubble.

JMUNJ08
September 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Pretty decent job IMHO by the coaches xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

They must have switched up all the voting coaches from prior years....

JMUNJ08
September 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM
21. South Dakota State 1-1 166 9
23. North Dakota State 1-1 86 21
24. South Dakota 1-1 77 NR

Some good football up there in the Dakotas...Whats wrong with the Fighting Sioux of UND???

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 04:36 PM
As much as it pains me to admit it, JMU should have the #1 ranking. Too early to matter. It will sort itself out in the coming weeks.

rufus
September 13th, 2010, 04:43 PM
If JMU wins out (big if), we will likely remain behind App State until their 11/20 game at Florida. If App State loses, we will probably pass them, and if App State wins, they will finish #1 for good reason.

It's clear that even if JMU beats Villanova in October, we won't be able to pass App State in a poll that values an App State win over Jacksonville more than a JMU win over VT. If JMU loses to Villanova, we'll likely drop out of the top 10.

xsmhx

LeadBolt
September 13th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I agree JMU should be #1 after this week's game, but #3 is hardly disrespect, especially this early in the year.

T-Dog
September 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM

I'm pretty sure we barely passed App State to grab the #1 spot when we beat them head-to-head a couple years back. People still voted for App State.

I don't think JMU was #1 after you beat us. I think Richmond was #1 until you beat them, THEN you got to #1. We fell to #5.

jmufan999
September 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
i don't know what happened to my comment..... hm.

but you're right, t-dog (i think)... we went from #5 to #3 after beating the #1 team in the country. that was what upset us, but obviously it didn't matter then and doesn't matter now.

i had said a few days ago that Nova should still be #1... i since changed my mind and think JMU should be #1. but again, it will sort itself out. the SoCon champ will get a seed, the CAA champ will get a seed.... that's the most important thing.

darell1976
September 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Some good football up there in the Dakotas...Whats wrong with the Fighting Sioux of UND???

We lost to 2 FBS teams. We almost beat N. Illinois but was picked off around the goal line with under 2 minutes left, but maybe we can run the table on the rest of our schedule including at Montana and at South Dakota St....then we should be ranked.

MacThor
September 13th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I don't think JMU was #1 after you beat us. I think Richmond was #1 until you beat them, THEN you got to #1. We fell to #5.

No, Richmond was only #1 for one week during the championship year*, and promptly lost at Villanova. JMU was #1 when they played at #5 Richmond.

Preseason polls are crapshoots, and once they're set you just have to wait for the teams ahead of you to drop an FCS game.

*(Excluding the final week, of course :) )

jmufan999
September 13th, 2010, 05:34 PM
We lost to 2 FBS teams. We almost beat N. Illinois but was picked off around the goal line with under 2 minutes left, but maybe we can run the table on the rest of our schedule including at Montana and at South Dakota St....then we should be ranked.

i'm assuming you meant UNI, not northern illinois.... but i'm not seeing Montana on your schedule this year? maybe i'm not getting what you're saying. either way, your defense must really be thriving on turnovers. 6 in two games is really, really great. TO differential and 3rd down conversion % are the two biggest stats to watch when predicting games, in my opinion.

darell1976
September 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
i'm assuming you meant UNI, not northern illinois.... but i'm not seeing Montana on your schedule this year? maybe i'm not getting what you're saying. either way, your defense must really be thriving on turnovers. 6 in two games is really, really great. TO differential and 3rd down conversion % are the two biggest stats to watch when predicting games, in my opinion.

We lost to N. Illinois 23-17 and we play at Montana Nov. 13th.

UND's Schedule: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/155/north-dakota-fighting-sioux

jmufan999
September 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
my fault, i got you mixed up with NDSU. i just quickly looked at your avatar and obviously looked TOO quickly! my apologies.

darell1976
September 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
my fault, i got you mixed up with NDSU. i just quickly looked at your avatar and obviously looked TOO quickly! my apologies.

xnonoxxnonoxxlolx

AllForAppState
September 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
No disrespect to JMU, but why even haggle over rankings when we have a playoff system! I know you want to be acknowledged for your big win, but the great thing about the FCS is that this will get decided on the field...end of story...

I was happy to see an overrated Virginia Tech team lose and I was glad to see another FCS team show the world that this is not the little step-sister of college football, but in the immortal words of Jim Mora...PLAYOFFS! At least we have the playoffs...

bullseye44
September 13th, 2010, 08:18 PM

Even with a #1 ranking, you'd probably be on the road for the playoffs if the committee had its way. xlolx

NHwildEcat
September 13th, 2010, 10:42 PM
UNI plays one game and gets a 1st place vote.xlolx

EmeryZach
September 13th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I watched the entire Appy Vs Chatty game a couple weeks ago and there is no way Appy State should be anywhere close to #1.

You guys just aren't there yet. I think we need to see a lot more from Appy before they should be #1.

But this is the coaches poll, so nothing ever surprises me.

JMUNJ08
September 13th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Even with a #1 ranking, you'd probably be on the road for the playoffs if the committee had its way. xlolx

We don't have a stadium to play in for the playoffs so that would be an interesting scenario...

Dignan
September 14th, 2010, 02:09 AM
The way I see it, JMU's future is in its own hands. If they win out, they'll be either #1 or #2 (in the scenario in which App St wins out as well... would have to give them a ton of credit for taking down UF near the end of the season).

Was thinking about it this morning. Unlike Boise St, we don't have our whole season riding on a Va Tech win. Here's the rest of our schedule and their current ranks:

vs. Liberty (#14)
vs. Delaware (#12)
@ Towson
vs. New Hampshire (#8)
@ Villanova (#2)
vs. UMASS (#15)
@ Richmond (#9)
vs. William & Mary (#13)
@ Maine

Really until we're able to get through that we should not be worrying at all about what the polls say. I think we've got our work cut out for us and it's going to be extremely difficult to get through that schedule unscathed. Who knows? Maybe we're about as good as most people initially thought and in the end the Va Tech game will end up being the high point of our season. On the other hand, maybe it was a sign that this team's going to be a lot better than anyone expected this year.

Still a whole lot of football to play.

yosef1969
September 14th, 2010, 02:14 AM
i don't know what happened to my comment..... hm.

but you're right, t-dog (i think)... we went from #5 to #3 after beating the #1 team in the country. that was what upset us, but obviously it didn't matter then and doesn't matter now.

i had said a few days ago that Nova should still be #1... i since changed my mind and think JMU should be #1. but again, it will sort itself out. the SoCon champ will get a seed, the CAA champ will get a seed.... that's the most important thing.

JMU went to #1 in the coaches poll and #2 in the TSN poll after beating ASU. UR was #1 in the TSN poll and #2 in the coaches poll the same week.

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1588961

th0m
September 14th, 2010, 04:42 AM

Funny you should mention this, because correct me if I'm wrong but JMU will be unable to host any playoff games this year because of the tight schedule of the stadium expansion to be completed before the 2011 season. If we were to receive a seed or a home playoff game, they would likely host the game at VMI or UVa.

Pauly LB
September 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
It is only week #3 and all this really proves is that polls are not perfect -- in fact sometimes they are nowhere even close to being perfect. Three questions...

1) James Madison beat Virginia Tech who previously barely was beaten by a loaded Boise State team. How is James Madison not #1 in the polls?
2) #1 Montana got beaten by a less than stellar Cal Poly team. How is Montana still ranked in the top 10?
3) An unranked Cal Poly team barely beat division 2 Humboldt State in week #1. Still unranked, in week #2 they went out an beat the #1 team in FCS. How is it that Cal Poly can barely break into the top 20 at #18?

Polls are not perfect and this one proves exactly that. Hopefully they can improve as the season progresses.

SalukiJim
September 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM

People of UND LOVE when that happensxlolx - and the reverse is true I am sure with the Bison faithful!

UCABEARS75
September 14th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Interesting the Eastern Illinois got more votes than UCA. I was at the game, we beat them senseless. Not saying we should have received more votes but we are a significantly better team than EIU.

URMite
September 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM
People of UND LOVE when that happensxlolx - and the reverse is true I am sure with the Bison faithful!

I think the schedule makers must of been trying to do that - UND vs NIU & NDSU vs UNI on the same day? xbangx

SalukiJim
September 14th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I think the schedule makers must of been trying to do that - UND vs NIU & NDSU vs UNI on the same day? xbangx

Alphabet Soup! And SDSU vs UD so get your ei-ei-o's here...

Jackman
September 14th, 2010, 10:33 AM
vs. Liberty (#14)
vs. Delaware (#12)
@ Towson
vs. New Hampshire (#8)
@ Villanova (#2)
vs. UMASS (#15)
@ Richmond (#9)
vs. William & Mary (#13)
@ Maine

JMU ought to receive some sort of trophy if they get through that schedule. Even Maine is showing up in the ORV list.

URMite
September 14th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Just saying ND & ND St get mistaken for each other and so do UNI & NIU, so let's just have them play each other on the same day. xrolleyesx

URMite
September 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
JMU ought to receive some sort of trophy if they get through that schedule. Even Maine is showing up in the ORV list.

Not in the coaches poll I think... but typical schedule in the CAA this early in the year. JMU needs what 5 of 9 against that schedule? UR needs 7 of 10 (for example) against this (I like the AGS numbers :p)

Elon (#5)
Delaware (#7)
Coastal Carolina
@UNH (#9)
@UMass (#12)
Towson
@Nova (#1)
JMU (#2)
URI
@W&M (#11)

Even if we beat the unranked teams, we need 4 wins while playing 2/5/7 @home 1/9/11/12 away. Yikes!

GlassOnion
September 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Alot of love for JMU that I dont agree with. I watched the game, and it was sloppy on both sides. Vtech was horrible. No heart, didnt finish plays, penalties at the wrong moment, 3 turnovers, you name it, they screwed it up. JMU didnt look sharp at all either. Tech averaged 5.4 yrds per carry, and totaled 360 yrds to JMU's 235, and still managed to lose. JMU had 0 sacks, 0 qb hurries, and only 1 tackle for loss, and 1 FF. VaTech just was not home.

Based on what I saw, I would hate to think that JMU was the best in the country at this point. If they win out, or even drop 2 (possibly 3) I think they should be seeded, but at this point, theyre right there with App, neither have showed enough to warrant a #1 ranking.

jmu_duke07
September 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Alot of love for JMU that I dont agree with. I watched the game, and it was sloppy on both sides. Vtech was horrible. No heart, didnt finish plays, penalties at the wrong moment, 3 turnovers, you name it, they screwed it up. JMU didnt look sharp at all either. Tech averaged 5.4 yrds per carry, and totaled 360 yrds to JMU's 235, and still managed to lose. JMU had 0 sacks, 0 qb hurries, and only 1 tackle for loss, and 1 FF. VaTech just was not home.

Based on what I saw, I would hate to think that JMU was the best in the country at this point. If they win out, or even drop 2 (possibly 3) I think they should be seeded, but at this point, theyre right there with App, neither have showed enough to warrant a #1 ranking.

Sloppy? of course it was sloppy! IT WAS POURING! I'm sorry but JMU SHOULD be #1... Losing to Temple < Beating Va Tech. JMU get's slighted all the time by TSN, CSN and now AGS. What articles are there on these FCS SITES about the 2nd biggest upset in college football history? Barely even a blurb. They care more about Montana who is vastly over rated and App St who BARELY got by Chattanooga. With all do respect, Villanova may be good, but JMU's resume as of late is much better.

Nebuta
September 14th, 2010, 01:48 PM

If JMU wins out they deserve to an AP TOP 25 ranking in all the land. I agree if they lose 2 games, they should get a seed.

mcveyrl
September 14th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Really? I don't really care about the rankings and frankly the seeding doesn't bother me since we're not hosting a playoff game regardless, but this type of thinking befuddles me. I will grant you that Va. Tech didn't play well and tackled abysmally, they were that way against Boise. But JMU did what it had to do to stop them. Even the Tech coaches commented on our athletic defensive play. By the way, you ignored a couple of things...the red zone fumble was a straight up helment on ball fumble and we out-hustled tech to the ball and you missed an INT. I also question the 0 qb hurries. One of the fumbles in the first half was when Taylor had to spin out of a sack and fumbled the ball. Which brings up another point...despite the "sloppiness" JMU took care of the football. Zero turnovers.

Michigan outgained ASU by almost 100 yards and had over 6 yards per carry. App St. had three turnovers to Michigan's two. Heck, Michigan let ASU drive the length of the field in a little over a minute to kick the game winning field goal, then ASU let Michigan go down the field in less time than that, only to see Michigan leave the barn door open to let Lynch block the field goal. There weren't many people (any that I know of) around that chalked the win up to sloppy play.

Don't be a hater.

ElonPride
September 14th, 2010, 02:11 PM

xnonono2x

carney2
September 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm a little disappointed that someone didn't throw one vote - just one little vote - to Georgetown. They are, after all, undefeated.

molly
September 14th, 2010, 03:10 PM
vs. Liberty (#14)
vs. Delaware (#12)
@ Towson
vs. New Hampshire (#8)
@ Villanova (#2)
vs. UMASS (#15)
@ Richmond (#9)
vs. William & Mary (#13)
@ Maine

Still a whole lot of football to play.

That's pretty much what every CAA team is going to face this year, because each school only misses one other CAA school. Here's W&M's remaining schedule:

@ ODU
@ Maine
vs. Villanova (#2)
vs. URI
vs. Delaware (#12)
@ UNC (I-A)
@ New Hampshire (#8)
@ JMU (#3)
vs. Richmond (#9)

Once the CAA starts playing each other, those rankings aren't going to hold, so the schedule won't look as tough by the end of the season. Right now, it's really difficult to tell how good much of the conference is, but anyone who goes undefeated in conference is going to be very, very good. I don't think it's very likely any CAA school will do it.

JmuSkinsfan
September 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Honestly, I can't see any CAA team doing better than 6-2. We all remember in 2008 when JMU ran the table in a very, very good CAA ... came at the hands of the last second punt-return against then #1 Richmond and the Hail-Mary catch over ranked Villanova. But because of the strength of the CAA (I know, here we go again) ... I'd like to think that at least the top CAA team, and maybe the second best CAA get seeds ... even if that means with 9-2 records.

Villanova could lose to JMU and Delaware, for example, be 8-3 overall, but still likely have a top 10 ranking. JMU, similarly, could lose to Villanova and Umass (assuming we can beat Liberty at home in 2 weeks to finish OOC 3-0) ... with wins over ranked FCS (liberty), ranked FBS (tech) and a fluff (morehead), two in-conference losses, and a 9-2 record. I would LIKE to think that would be deserving of a seed. But we shall see.

yosef1969
September 14th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I can't see any CAA team doing better than 6-2. We all remember in 2008 when JMU ran the table in a very, very good CAA ... came at the hands of the last second punt-return against then #1 Richmond and the Hail-Mary catch over ranked Villanova. But because of the strength of the CAA (I know, here we go again) ... I'd like to think that at least the top CAA team, and maybe the second best CAA get seeds ... even if that means with 9-2 records.

Villanova could lose to JMU and Delaware, for example, be 8-3 overall, but still likely have a top 10 ranking. JMU, similarly, could lose to Villanova and Umass (assuming we can beat Liberty at home in 2 weeks to finish OOC 3-0) ... with wins over ranked FCS (liberty), ranked FBS (tech) and a fluff (morehead), two in-conference losses, and a 9-2 record. I would LIKE to think that would be deserving of a seed. But we shall see.

I think that's probably right, 2 loss CAA teams likely get a seed, but it really just depends on the performance elsewhere. For example, if any 2 of the following (UNI SFA, JSU, ASU, FU, GSU, Elon, Liberty) runs the table or only has an FBS loss does a second CAA team with 2 losses get a seed over them and if only one CAA team with 2 losses gets a seed does the commitee seed them higher than one of the aforementioned teams with one loss?

I know it's way to early to think about these things but I would find that scenario interesting. I think it would depend on the CAA team's schedule and when the losses occurred. If it's JMU, the VT win probably gets them the nod but it's not a sure thing, in 2007 ASU's win over Michigan wasn't enough to secure a seed following two conference losses.

GlassOnion
September 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Really? I don't really care about the rankings and frankly the seeding doesn't bother me since we're not hosting a playoff game regardless, but this type of thinking befuddles me. I will grant you that Va. Tech didn't play well and tackled abysmally, they were that way against Boise. But JMU did what it had to do to stop them. Even the Tech coaches commented on our athletic defensive play. By the way, you ignored a couple of things...the red zone fumble was a straight up helment on ball fumble and we out-hustled tech to the ball and you missed an INT. I also question the 0 qb hurries. One of the fumbles in the first half was when Taylor had to spin out of a sack and fumbled the ball. Which brings up another point...despite the "sloppiness" JMU took care of the football. Zero turnovers.

Michigan outgained ASU by almost 100 yards and had over 6 yards per carry. App St. had three turnovers to Michigan's two. Heck, Michigan let ASU drive the length of the field in a little over a minute to kick the game winning field goal, then ASU let Michigan go down the field in less time than that, only to see Michigan leave the barn door open to let Lynch block the field goal. There weren't many people (any that I know of) around that chalked the win up to sloppy play.

Don't be a hater.

Yeah, lets disregard the fact VaTech has yet to win a game. Its VaTech right? Good is in the name. Based on what I saw two weeks in a row, VT stinks. The argument that JMU deserves to be #1 (jumping from 11 in the polls) for beating VT is laughable. VT could go winless for all you know. The only game that looks winnable right now for them is Duke! I have no problem if JMU climbs the polls if VT asserts itself in the next few games, but to jump to #1 immediately for playing a piss poor 1A team isnt good for FCS football.

If you want to compare it to the Michigan game, App dominated the game for all but about 10 minutes, but yes, they did get sloppy at the end, that happens in the 4th when you've only played 31 players the whole game. And by all means, If VT comes back and beats #9 Florida in the Capital One bowl as Michigan did, come back and B&M.

Chattanooga by the way is 0-2 against #1 ranked App, and #4 Ranked Jacksonville State (of Ole Miss. fame,) and led both games into the 4th quarter, so dont be throwing stones.

And I am not a JMU Hater, although I am an equal opportunity hater of purple.

jmufan999
September 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I think that's probably right, 2 loss CAA teams likely get a seed, but it really just depends on the performance elsewhere. For example, if any 2 of the following (UNI SFA, JSU, ASU, FU, GSU, Elon, Liberty) runs the table or only has an FBS loss does a second CAA team with 2 losses get a seed over them and if only one CAA team with 2 losses gets a seed does the commitee seed them higher than one of the aforementioned teams with one loss?

great point. this will blow your mind.... what happens if Liberty goes undefeated this year? they will have beaten JMU and Ball State.... where do you seed them? if they go undefeated, they HAVE to get a seed. and it's a very real possibility. i would think JMU is the toughest game left on their schedule, but i think they lost to Stony Brook last year. but they get them in Lynchburg this year. that JMU game is looking to be very important. i would say moreso for them than us.... we still have plenty of ranked teams to play after that game (plus we don't have to win the conference to get in, they probably do). that game will be huge.

UNH Fanboi
September 14th, 2010, 09:16 PM
great point. this will blow your mind.... what happens if Liberty goes undefeated this year? they will have beaten JMU and Ball State.... where do you seed them? if they go undefeated, they HAVE to get a seed. and it's a very real possibility. i would think JMU is the toughest game left on their schedule, but i think they lost to Stony Brook last year. but they get them in Lynchburg this year. that JMU game is looking to be very important. i would say moreso for them than us.... we still have plenty of ranked teams to play after that game (plus we don't have to win the conference to get in, they probably do). that game will be huge.

JMU better beat Liberty or we'll never hear the end of it from the CAA haters. Y'all beat them pretty handily last year, so I expect the same this year.

JMUNJ08
September 14th, 2010, 11:03 PM
JMU better beat Liberty or we'll never hear the end of it from the CAA haters. Y'all beat them pretty handily last year, so I expect the same this year.

They are getting closer as the rain didn't help last year for either team to put some big points. Should be a better game then many think. Good convo on it in a week...

JMUNJ08
September 14th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah, lets disregard the fact VaTech has yet to win a game. Its VaTech right? Good is in the name. Based on what I saw two weeks in a row, VT stinks. The argument that JMU deserves to be #1 (jumping from 11 in the polls) for beating VT is laughable. VT could go winless for all you know. The only game that looks winnable right now for them is Duke! I have no problem if JMU climbs the polls if VT asserts itself in the next few games, but to jump to #1 immediately for playing a piss poor 1A team isnt good for FCS football.

If you want to compare it to the Michigan game, App dominated the game for all but about 10 minutes, but yes, they did get sloppy at the end, that happens in the 4th when you've only played 31 players the whole game. And by all means, If VT comes back and beats #9 Florida in the Capital One bowl as Michigan did, come back and B&M.

Chattanooga by the way is 0-2 against #1 ranked App, and #4 Ranked Jacksonville State (of Ole Miss. fame,) and led both games into the 4th quarter, so dont be throwing stones.

I thought the Boise game was rather good and they played a top 5 team. No shame in that loss. Also, if I recall, Michigan hadn't won a game yet that season either. Then laid an egg the size of Rhode Island in their loss to Oregon. Let's not throw stones either until we see some more from VT...

It was a good win vs. a ranked team. There's been 2 JMU and App. Yes both seem to have been overrated at the time but they were ranked right? A wins a win and a ranked team is a ranked team.

mcveyrl
September 14th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Hold up. Was it sloppy play or are you not convinced that Va. Tech is that good?? I'm confused. And you say it's a piss poor IA team, but they're in the same boat Michigan was in when App. State won (no losses). But App. State moved up. I'm guessing you didn't complain about that. Just a guess.

In fact, if we're going to play the whole "Hey, they're good because they took a good team to the fourth quarter" I'm not sure if you watched the game Monday night at FedEx...

By the way, we only brought 53 players to Tech and won the second half 14-3. Sloppiness.

Who threw stones? My beef is not about the ranking (I said in the first sentence I couldn't care less.) I don't care if 'Nova, App. St. or Jacksonville State is No. 1. But you're really talking out of your ***. A down Va. Tech is better than a piss poor I-A team and you completely fail to give JMU credit for forcing turnovers and protecting the football in a place that, believe it or not, is more intimidating than The Rock.

Where do you think they should be ranked?

cderry
September 15th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I would have thought Western Illinois would have received at least a few votes this week. They beat Valpo 45-0 and then lost to Purdue 31-21 this past week.

SpeedkingATL
September 15th, 2010, 09:12 AM
It makes me throw up a little in my mouth but I would put JMU at #1 based on the fact that they are undefeated and have the most impressive victory in FCS so far this year. ASU has been like team Sybil playing like chumps in the 1st half and champs in the second. This early the rankings don't mean that much but I still think polls should be released after week 4 so that some actual game activity can be analyzed before ranking as it is much easier to weather a couple of loses if you start in the poll than if you don't and the polls are VERY important at the end of the year.

JMUNJ08
September 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM
It makes me throw up a little in my mouth but I would put JMU at #1 based on the fact that they are undefeated and have the most impressive victory in FCS so far this year. ASU has been like team Sybil playing like chumps in the 1st half and champs in the second. This early the rankings don't mean that much but I still think polls should be released after week 4 so that some actual game activity can be analyzed before ranking as it is much easier to weather a couple of loses if you start in the poll than if you don't and the polls are VERY important at the end of the year.

Agreed but if the lazy voters just realize who's who and when a team they rank loses a bunch of games to drop them out and give another a chance the polls should be fine regardless if we do them all season or starting part of the way through.