PDA

View Full Version : SFA at Northern Iowa

AxeEmJacks
September 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Specifically, I'd like to hear from UNI fans on what SFA needs to look out for and maybe what weaknesses you can see in SFA.

Please no A&M comments. If you want to comment about that, there's a thread.

unigriff
September 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Specifically, I'd like to hear from UNI fans on what SFA needs to look out for and maybe what weaknesses you can see in SFA.

Please no A&M comments. If you want to comment about that, there's a thread.

Should be a great game. UNI, which is traditionally a power running team, doesn't really have a power back. They use Carlos Anderson as a finesse, speed back...he is very good. The new QB for the Cats, #10 T. Rennie is a 2 time JUCO All-American and last year threw for 2000yds and ran for another 1000. He is surprisingly super fast for a mobile QB. After he got his first game jitters out of the way, I think we can expect big things from him this year. The offensive line for UNI is inexperienced, but the Oline is traditionally a reloading part of the offense as opposed to the rebuilding. All the starters are 300lbs+ and around 6'5. They did a great job Saturday against the Bison, giving up only 3 sacks while paving the way for over 150 yards rushing.

UNI is traditionally been known for being susceptible to the passing game and conservative play calling in the 2nd half with a lead. Pass defense will be huge, especially since the Panthers are running a new defense this year with a 3-4 look. Their pass defense is game one against the Bison was average with giving up one big play and some smaller in routes. If you plan to beat the Panthers, convert on 3rd down, use the passing game and take advantage of any UNI turnovers.

The Panthers had 2 turnovers inside the redzone against the Bison and missed two FGs (31, 41). The NDSU game should have been a 30+ pt margin but give credit to NDSU for some of that and first game jitters for UNI.

I've seen both SFA games and they are not a running team whatsoever. They rush a lot but their backs seem very weak...true? The passing game is their strong point and their QB seems to be very accurate. From what I saw in both games, if SFA can move the chains and get some running game established, UNI could be in a for a dogfight. Otherwise UNI should have their way if they can control the ball and limit turnovers and be efficient in the "zone"

UNI's rush defense is too good though IMO, and can sit back and contain the passing game. I have UNI winning by a modest 10, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was more. Wish I could be there!

27-17 UNI.

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
This should be a high scoring affair. Our offense looked explosive in week one, and if they can finish in the red zone that should turn out a lot of points. We all know what your offense is capable of.

Defensively for us, we will be bringing a lot of pressure. If I was SFA the biggest concern I would have is the O-line.

ValleyChamp
September 13th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I agree that it could be a real shootout.

What does SFA's o-line look like? That is a key matchup IMO. UNI destroyed a supposedly good NDSU o-line for 11 sacks last week. UNI has a very athletic young secondary, so that will be key as well. Can they handle the passing game? I think they can get the job done, but obviously NDSU is nowhere in the same universe as far as the passing game is concerned, so they haven't really been tested too much yet.

Big Al
September 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
UNI has talent but overall it's a young team. Considering SFA's pass attack, I'm somewhat concerned with their ability to cover in the defensive secondary -- they are very, very athletic but were caught out of position several times against NDSU.

As was already stated, Rennie, UNI's new QB is very athletic. Seems to be a run-first sort of mentality, though. When plays broke down, he more often looked to run it downfield vs. find a receiver. That's kind of a shame, as we have some experienced, talented players at WR & TE.

Definitely looking forward to the game.

nmatsen
September 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM
If you can throw the ball the flats and not fumble, you will have a shot. You can count on three things from us. We will have one costly turnover, we will miss a field goal, we will give up 150 yards passing in the flats. I wouldn't put too much air under the football when throwing it down the field, these guys are FAST, and will come snatch the ball out of the air. I wouldn't take too much time to throw the ball either, those guys are fast too. We are a lot closer of a team to A&M then we are to Albany that I will promise you.

ValleyChamp
September 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM
If you can throw the ball the flats and not fumble, you will have a shot. You can count on three things from us. We will have one costly turnover, we will miss a field goal, we will give up 150 yards passing in the flats. I wouldn't put too much air under the football when throwing it down the field, these guys are FAST, and will come snatch the ball out of the air. I wouldn't take too much time to throw the ball either, those guys are fast too. We are a lot closer of a team to A&M then we are to Albany that I will promise you.

Thats actually pretty accurate.

UNI Pike
September 13th, 2010, 08:47 PM
What's the word on SFA's injuries? I saw a mention that the two starting DT's Sean Warren & Tyler Francis were out of the Albany game. (In the replay of the live chat (http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091010aag.html)). Are they going to play this time around? Any other insight other than they throw alot?

nmatsen
September 13th, 2010, 09:01 PM
What's the word on SFA's injuries? I saw a mention that the two starting DT's Sean Warren & Tyler Francis were out of the Albany game. (In the replay of the live chat (http://sfajacks.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/091010aag.html)). Are they going to play this time around? Any other insight other than they throw alot?

I am going to guess that with the character of the SFA program, that those guys might have been suspended for one game. They couldn't afford to have them sit out the A & M game (they knew that they would have a few go down that game) so they wait and suspend them for a "un-disclosed game," like Albany.

UNI Pike
September 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM
The reasons provided by the reporter offering the info were a bum ankle (Warren) & a concussion (Francis). I have no reason to doubt otherwise.

How long before you return from a concussion? Is there a set rule? Back in the days of Butkus, it was 10-15 minutes.

GrabbAnAxe
September 14th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Man, this is a great matchup this week isn't it? This is an opportunity for both of these teams to make a legitimate statement on a national level. It's hard for me to speak too much on the Panthers, but I can tell you that the SFA coaching staff and players are excited about this game because of the tradition that UNI has, and the success they have already had this year.

The 'Jacks will have their hands full, but I do want to touch on a couple of points that were brought up earlier. First of all, the OL line for SFA is pretty beat up right now, but it will still be difficult to pressure the QB in the Lumberjack offense. QB Jeremy Moses through two games is playing better than I've ever seen him (the INT he threw against UA hit his receiver square in the hands and the guy deflected it 10 yards to the DB, and he also had eight drops according to the coaches in the A&M game). He gets rid of the football and make such quick decisions that the offensive line doesn't have to hold off the defense for long. Oh, and don't blitz, you'll regret it.

You're best method of attack will be to try and put as many into coverage as possible, and that may be enough to get some pressure from your front four.

The running game is a little suspect right now with really only one proven back, while the receiving corps is loaded with talent, but they are extremely young without one upper classman in the two-dep.

Defensively, the 'Jacks are pretty thin in the front four from those injuries suffered at A&M, but the back seven is about as sound as you are going to find. Jabara Williams is a linebacker that will play on Sundays, and the DBs are pretty darn good too.

Not sure how much that will answer most of your questions concerning the 'Jacks, but it should get you started.

As for the "character" issues that were mentioned above too, I'm sorry that is the reputation that you guys have of SFA. It really is a shame, because this is is a very classy program full of classy players and coaches. You can take what you want when it comes to supposedly faking injuries or even running up the score, but I'm sorry that the majority of the people out there have decided to believe all of that. At this level we do not get as much coverage as the big boys and therefore whenever something questionable happens, the majority of the population seems to believe whatever propoganda is thrown into the forefront. It really is a shame.

Hopefully this weekend is a clean game on both sides, because there is no reason for it not to be. I won't be able to make the trip, but I will be keeping up with it and I wish the best to both teams ... but of course a little more good toward the 'Jacks!!

Jacked_Rabbit
September 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM
If this is supposed to be such a closely contested game, why is UNI favored by 14 points? You tell me, should I put the mortgage on SFA or what?!?! Is anyone going to give some final score predictions, or is it still a bit too early in the week for those?

UNI Pike
September 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM
How to the Jack fans feel about having a true freshman slotted as the starting LG for this game?

Honestly, I think the injuries affecting your D line will be a bigger problem (from what I know at this point). I would expect that we will be running the ball quite a bit, eating up clock, and keeping Moses on the sidelines. Just a semi-informed guess.

fcs'sbest
September 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
The starting LG for SFA will be a 5th year Sr. A true freshman did play in the Albany game. But that was very late when the game was already decided.

The D-Line will be 100% for U.N.I.

Hope its a good game. 2 good teams.

UNI Pike
September 14th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Basing the previous post on this article (http://dailysentinel.com/sports/article_bd23cfa8-bfb0-11df-a029-001cc4c03286.html), and the two deep from the Albany game (last one published at the time). Who is taking over the LG position for SFA?

GrabbAnAxe
September 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM
You're right Pike, from what I am hearing it will be a redshirt freshman at LG getting the start. I agree with you, I'd be more concerned about the defensive line than the offensive line; however, this team is pretty good in close games too. Just look at last year when they proved they can win a tough, low-scoring game when it matters (i.e. the win over McNeese State).

I wouldn't worry too much about running the ball and keeping Moses off the field. Look at our time of possesion numbers in the past three years. Heck, just look at it this last week against Albany. I believe they had the ball nearly 15 minutes longer, because this offense is fast-paced and scores very, very quickly. Now defensively, if you are able to effect its rhythm then you can disrupt it. But otherwise, they'll get their points.

UNI Pike
September 14th, 2010, 11:43 PM
The coaching staff has definitely faced this type of game before - Ricky Santos & NH, Joe Flacco & DE, etc. The difference is that previously we played a 4-3 defense (spin on Tampa 2), and we have shifted to a 3-4. This game was certainly a component of the scheme change - mostly dealing with the players we had, but also the types of opponents we face. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say our D is closer to Texas A&M's athletic ability than Albany's. That's a pretty wide gap, so it may not be enough.

UNI Pike
September 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM
BTW - your fanbase seems to be adverse to message boards. Not many of you out there, from what I can find.

GrabbAnAxe
September 14th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Yeah and I think that's really not a bad thing. I have always read them when it concerns the Jacks, but I have always purposely abstained from ever throwing my two cents in because 98% of everyone on these things are misinformed. And with all of the bad-mouthing that seems to be going on as of late about the team I guess somebody had to step in.

fcs'sbest
September 15th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Ok dont listen to me. The back up center will start at LG. He is a 5th year Sr.

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Ok dont listen to me. The back up center will start at LG. He is a 5th year Sr.

Are you saying Funk is the replacement at LG? I believe he was the starting center for the A&M game, correct? Has he played left guard before? Mixin' & matchin' is good for Garanimals, not lineman.

BTW - the SFA pre-game media release is available @ http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf

EDIT: release shows 2 deep as

LT 75 George Bias 6-3 304 JR-2L
LT 62 Ryne Chambers 6-6 270 FR-HS

LG 65 Greg Hall 6-3 290 FR-HS
LG 73 David Damian 6-6 310 FR-HS

C 77 Jesse Funk 6-4 289 SR-3L
C 54 R.C. Clinton 6-2 300 FR-HS

RG 63 John Steel 6-3 273 SO-1L
RG 71 Chance Vernon 6-7 335 FR-HS

RT 78 Corey Dickerson 6-9 306 SO-1L
RT 74 Willie Watkins 6-5 290 FR-RS

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Why did Partsch fall off the 2 deep - he started against Albany. I did not see an injury report on him.

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Gettin my posts up ;)

Actually, for anyone interested in listening, there is apparently a free radio stream of the SFA call on www.q1077.com per the SFA press release. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

AxeEmJacks
September 15th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Gettin my posts up ;)

Actually, for anyone interested in listening, there is apparently a free radio stream of the SFA call on www.q1077.com per the SFA press release. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

Yep, they usually broadcast a live call for home games on 107.7 FM but get used to some of the Texanisms.xlolx

Jacked_Rabbit
September 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Does anyone think that UNI will (not can - I know they can) win by more than 14 points? Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

AxeEmJacks
September 15th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Does anyone think that UNI will (not can - I know they can) win by more than 14 points? Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

Where are you getting odds that UNI is a 14 point favorite? That sounds ludicrous as everyone here has pretty much agreed that this will be a shootout. It looks to me that this will be UNI's run game vs. SFA's pass game. Looking at all the stats I've seen I'd say anywhere between -1.5 to -3 for UNI. Home-field advantage helps as does the fact that SFA's defensive stats have been skewed by playing A&M (up) and Albany (down).

Big Cats
September 15th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I don't know about the 14 pt spread either, the over/under will be +50

UNI Pike
September 15th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I don't know about the 14 pt spread either, the over/under will be +50

Take the over on 50.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 15th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Where are you getting odds that UNI is a 14 point favorite? That sounds ludicrous as everyone here has pretty much agreed that this will be a shootout. It looks to me that this will be UNI's run game vs. SFA's pass game. Looking at all the stats I've seen I'd say anywhere between -1.5 to -3 for UNI. Home-field advantage helps as does the fact that SFA's defensive stats have been skewed by playing A&M (up) and Albany (down).

Well, that's not what Vegas thinks... You can get FCS lines from numerous different sites, but I've seen the 14 point UNI spread at 5dimes.com. Betus.com should have their 1AA (FCS) lines up tomorrow, but I'd imgine the line will come out right around 13 or 14 as that's where Vegas has it set.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Unfortunately, they don't set Totals for FCS games... Nor do they set money lines. It looks like the line has drastically dropped since this morning, as it is now as follows:

Stephen F. Austin at Northern Iowa
Sat 9/18 553 Stephen F. Austin +11 -120
5:05PM 554 Northern Iowa -11 -120

Glad I got SFA +14 -- KEEP IT CLOSE, but go Panthers!

PantherRob82
September 15th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I could see this game going any number of ways. It could be close or it could be a blowout. I wouldn't put money on it either way.

AxeEmJacks
September 18th, 2010, 07:24 PM
Unfortunately, they don't set Totals for FCS games... Nor do they set money lines. It looks like the line has drastically dropped since this morning, as it is now as follows:

Stephen F. Austin at Northern Iowa
Sat 9/18 553 Stephen F. Austin +11 -120
5:05PM 554 Northern Iowa -11 -120

Glad I got SFA +14 -- KEEP IT CLOSE, but go Panthers!

How those shoes fittin? 22-20 Jacks.xhurrayx

McNeese75
September 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Nice win for SFA

slandfan7
September 18th, 2010, 07:30 PM
looks like Moses played some good football as usual

UNIFanSince1983
September 18th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Moses was impressive. That offense is tough to stop. I was proud to see we held them scoreless in the second half. However, I am very frustrated at UNI for the second straight week. We fumbled the ball three times in the redzone, and unfortunately they were not because of great defense.

SFA is a good team and should do some damage in the Southland. Congrats on the big win. Despite my frustrations I gotta give you guys credit though I do wonder what might have been if we didn't turn the ball over. They are deserving of the ranking, and I think the defense is underrated. They were putting good pressure on our QB all game.

Finally, I want to vent about our stupid play calling at the end of the game. It may not have made a difference, but I question our coaches sending the punting team out with 2:30 left in the game and then wasting the final timeout to change their mind. This doesn't upset me until they throw a 5 yard out route on 4th and 15 with no way to stop the clock and get the ball back.

Again congrats Jacks and good luck the rest of the way!

ValleyChamp
September 18th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Unbelievable gift turnovers by UNI...

Three turnovers inside the 10 yard line, and a safety...

nmatsen
September 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM

xbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangxxbangx

Big Al
September 19th, 2010, 09:29 PM
*sigh*