PDA

View Full Version : Should NAIA's Lambuth make the jump to FCS?

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Thoughts?

Serious replies only, please. I like for this not to get moved to Smack...

Dane96
September 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
UMMMM...WHY?

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2010, 11:03 AM
They had a very impressive win over a talent-laden FCS squad yesterday....

Twentysix
September 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
USF is better, and they dont belong in the FCS.

Shorter answer, no.

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Lambuth doesn't play Shorter until later in the season. Isn't it early to be giving the "Shorter Answer?" ;)

Eagle22
September 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Wofford fans will vote with a resounding "NO".

They wouldn't want another school in FCS that can claim a higher-SAT-average-than enrollment mark. Pretty sure the Terriers have that market cornered, but if you add a school with 450 students in there ... 100 who play football ... still pretty sure they have a higher than 450 SAT.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Lambuth went into what I can only assume was a packed and vicious Georgia Dome and came out with a big win. I vote yes. xrolleyesx

elon77
September 12th, 2010, 01:47 PM
They did something that Bama hasn't done yet, Beat Ga. St. I vote yes.

JSU02
September 12th, 2010, 03:09 PM
They have 815 students, I say no. Seems like too much of a financial strain.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Just raise student fees to cover the increased budget.

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Lambuth is struggling to get into Division II...

They are going to have to get their act together as an athletic department before they get there, let alone Div I. And that's a serious reply! ;)

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM

815 students?? Seriously??? Wow.....that's pretty impressive for a school that size to come into a hostile environment and take down the FCS school with the largest enrollment. Pretty damned impressive.

I gotta vote yes on that note alone....

Thumper 76
September 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
You do know that GaSU is in its first year, so I personally feel that your building this win into something much bigger than it is. Go play an established FCS team first and see what level you really are. One from one of the big conferences, such as the SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, or MVFC. Plus its hard to see a school that small being able to support the financial strain of being FCS.

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I think you're being overly harsh and critical of Lambuth's major accomplishment. Nobody gave the Jackrabbits a hard time when they decided to explore making the move....

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Students would only have to pay fees of like $1850/semester to move up. xlolx

I am laughing SO hard at the fact that many of you are seriously arguing against this move like it is a serious discussion.

McNeese75
September 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Students would only have to pay fees of like $1850/semester to move up. xlolx

I am laughing SO hard at the fact that many of you are seriously arguing against this move like it is a serious discussion.

xlolx Hey Saint and Panama, where ya at????????

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I, for one, am serious about the notion! I think in an economy like this, the fact that Lambuth, all 815 students of it, can rise up and slay a powerhouse national university is pretty amazing. From a cost/benefit analysis perspective, I think you'd be forced to agree that Lambuth is by far the more monetarily efficient of the two institutions. And, when you factor in the number of wins per enrolled student, I think it becomes OBVIOUS that Lambuth provides a more winnning atmosphere in a more economical manner.

Granted, they're not renting a domed stadium, nor paying a big name coach, but i think it's refreshing for a program to have that sort of feel-good sucess whilst living within their means...

I tip my hat to Lambuth. 815 students, Wow!

bisonguy
September 12th, 2010, 09:28 PM
IF they do move to FCS, it will be only temporary with an eventual move to FBS. With only requiring 700 seats maximum for students in a 45,000 seat arena, they have a huge advantage over most other FCS programs looking to move to FBS. That's a lot of seats available for the big money donors.

FormerPokeCenter
September 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM
xlolx Hey Saint and Panama, where ya at????????

Saint is currently busy on the Panthertalk board, using his extensive playing and coaching experience to castigate Bill Curry's choice of starting quarterbacks. If you think we've had some fans jump off the bandwagon, you should read Saint's comments advising Bill Curry to check his ego at the door and play Star Jones, regardless of the later's outburst about not getting to start the first game, and - well - that little thing about Jackson not yet knowing the playbook is of no moment either, since the playbook was largely ineffectual against Lambuth. Saint thinks that Coach Curry should STFU and let Jackson run whatever he wants to ;)

Wasn't it just last week or so that he was telling us that Curry was likely the best coach in all of FCS??

While I realize Lambuth wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as the current occupant of the Georgia Dome, I bet since their mascot is the Eagle and since they bloodied Georgia Sate's nose, the folks in Statesboro would probably be willing to let Lambuth use the intials GSU anytime they wanted to ;)

I think Lambuth should move up. They'd be a great fit for the Big South...

Twentysix
September 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I think you're being overly harsh and critical of Lambuth's major accomplishment. Nobody gave the Jackrabbits a hard time when they decided to explore making the move....

Jacks also have more than 12,000 students.

Probably a little easier for them to make it on student fees.

And people gave the dakota SU's a hell of a time when they started to explore it. You know not of what you speak.

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Jacks also have more than 12,000 students.

Probably a little easier for them to make it on student fees.

And people gave the dakota SU's a hell of a time when they started to explore it. You know not of what you speak.

xlolx xlolx

seriously?

Twentysix
September 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Should i not be serious?

PantherRob82
September 13th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Should i not be serious?

About a school with 815 students moving from NAIA to FCS.....

Twentysix
September 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I was under the impression formercenter was being serious. I guess i missed his humor.

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 02:20 AM
About a school with 815 students moving from NAIA to FCS.....

Rob,

That's more students than Wofford has. If the Terriers can do it and compete with the big schools, I see no reason why Lambuth, who's managed to slay a dragon the size fo Georgia Sate from the obscurity of NAIA couldn't compete on even footing if they were to move up to FCS. More scholarships, more prestige,etc.

I think it's doable

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Rob,

That's more students than Wofford has. If the Terriers can do it and compete with the big schools, I see no reason why Lambuth, who's managed to slay a dragon the size fo Georgia Sate from the obscurity of NAIA couldn't compete on even footing if they were to move up to FCS. More scholarships, more prestige,etc.

I think it's doable

If this is a serious discussion, it is absurd, 3 reasons why...

First, Wofford has around 1400 students.

Second, Lambuth is essentially bankrupt. Missed payrolls and threats of shutting down started back in 2008 and continue.
http://www.academicjobs.net/news-353-Lambuth_University_accepts_loan_from_investors,_em ployees_will_get_first_pay_check_since_April.html

Third, a win against a transitional start up program does not equal slaying a powerhouse. Enrollment size in game 2 of a programs' history is irrelevant.

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 06:56 AM
If this is a serious discussion, it is absurd, 3 reasons why...

First, Wofford has around 1400 students.

Second, Lambuth is essentially bankrupt. Missed payrolls and threats of shutting down started back in 2008 and continue.
http://www.academicjobs.net/news-353-Lambuth_University_accepts_loan_from_investors,_em ployees_will_get_first_pay_check_since_April.html

Third, a win against a transitional start up program does not equal slaying a powerhouse. Enrollment size in game 2 of a programs' history is irrelevant.

Now Yosef, if a national university like Georgia Sate is starting up football to help it shed it's commuter school label, attract new students and create a sense of Esprit d'corps amongst it's student base, there's no reason to think that competing in FCS wouldn't have a similarly positive effect on Lambuth.

If that tiny school can overcome the disadvantage created by the multi-million dollar investment in Georgia Sate football, and still win convincingly against an assorted cast of elite BCS athletes, I think you're selling them short....

I mean, come on, for a school of 841 kids to compete in front of what's arguably the most hostile environs of the FCS world, 12,467 wild and rambunctious Georgia Sate fans, nearly 2,000 of which were students, why that's just amazing...

And to WIN?

You guys aren't giving Lambuth enough credit for what they've accomplished.

I think they'd be welcomed additions to the FCS....They've actually kicked world-class butt on the football field against athletes far superior to their own.

SuperEagle
September 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM
This is a great discussion. No one truly expected Lambuth to beat Ga. State. Anytime you can go into a raucous Ga. Dome and come away with a victory, you have to be impressed. Most of us here were truly expecting the Panthers to run the table including taking down Alabama. The talent is there. I'm not sure how Lambuth was able to beat them. However, as far as the Eagles moving up, I'm not so sure. Week 1 they did lose 34-19 to the Arkansas Tech Wonder Boys. Yes, Wonder Boys is their mascot. Lambuth has shown they are ready to move up, but the FCS may not be able to handle them. Since we've been told on here that Ga. State will be in the Big East soon, Lambuth may just be good enough to take that B.E. spot from Ga. State. Next year if they can beat the Wonder Boys, I wouldn't be surprised if the B.E. did come calling.

JSU02
September 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM
The BIG EAST? WTF? Who is short selling Lambuth now? You and I both know they are now poised to take Georgia Southern's SEC invite away from them.xnodx

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 08:17 AM
The BIG EAST? WTF? Who is short selling Lambuth now? You and I both know they are now poised to take Georgia Southern's SEC invite away from them.xnodx

I realize you guys are having a little fun at the expense of my serious thread, but I went over the Panthertalk.com to see how the Georgia Sate fans were taking the loss, and - well - not well is the only way to describe it.

But, while there, a funny thing happened. I saw some pictures that were posted of the game. Lambuth is fricken' huge! And athletic. I didn't expect that....

Based on the pictures of the way they manhandled Georgia Sate, I think they probably could compete with a lot of people.

I tell ya, the more I find out about Lambuth, the more I like 'em.

I saw we invite 'em up!

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I realize you guys are having a little fun at the expense of my serious thread, but I went over the Panthertalk.com to see how the Georgia Sate fans were taking the loss, and - well - not well is the only way to describe it.

But, while there, a funny thing happened. I saw some pictures that were posted of the game. Lambuth is fricken' huge! And athletic. I didn't expect that....

Based on the pictures of the way they manhandled Georgia Sate, I think they probably could compete with a lot of people.

I tell ya, the more I find out about Lambuth, the more I like 'em.

I saw we invite 'em up!

What part of bankrupt do you not understand???

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
What part of bankrupt do you not understand???

I live in Louisiana, Yosef. Our whole state's practically bankrupt. Never stopped us.

Check out the way the Federal Government spends more money than they take in. Never stopped them...

If Lambuth can knock off a national power like that, I think they can overcome Bankruptcy....

sikolec
September 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Lambuth lost last week to Arkansas Tech 19-34. Therefore Arkansas Tech would have beaten Georgia State by let's say 24 points (Arkansas Tech beat Lambuth by 15 points, Lambuth beat Georgia State by 9, so we'll just add them together to make things simple). If we take these calculations into account, then can we invite Arkansas Tech too? We should invite them now, before the FBS comes calling...

Arkansas Tech has 9,801 students, they are Div 2 so it wouldn't be as big of a jump. Not to mention their sweet nickname, "The Wonderboys". And gotta love their yellow helmets with the TECH logo. I can see it now...

2013 FCS National Championship Game (Don't worry, the world ends in 2012):

"The Wonderboys" vs. Lambuth...oh the future looks bright ;)

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I live in Louisiana, Yosef. Our whole state's practically bankrupt. Never stopped us.

Check out the way the Federal Government spends more money than they take in. Never stopped them...

If Lambuth can knock off a national power like that, I think they can overcome Bankruptcy....

Convinced you can't be serious. It's hilarious that you keep calling Georgia State a national power, regardless of enrollment, financial support, and venue, the football program is NOT a national power. They are a transitional START UP.

At 800ish students, Lambuth would be the smallest school in D-I and by at least 600 students. And no matter how reckless the federal government or the state of Louisiana is with money, spending money to fund a move to D-I when you can't pay your faculty is out of the question, period.

I think you must be funning with us now, if not you're delusional.

glsjunior
September 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Clown us all you want but those cats can play. They had a disciplined game plan and executed it. We probably had the big head from the Shorter game, but they whipped us on the o-line pure and simple. They have a wide receiver who is 6'8 250 with speed. I think we will see him playing on Sundays.

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Clown us all you want but those cats can play. They had a disciplined game plan and executed it. We probably had the big head from the Shorter game, but they whipped us on the o-line pure and simple. They have a wide receiver who is 6'8 250 with speed. I think we will see him playing on Sundays.

Don't think anyone is "Clowing" you or your team. But the premise of the thread is ridiculous. It was a great win for an NAIA team, no one is disputing that, but the question posed is should Lambuth make the jump to FCS on the strength of this win? That's just stupid. Georgia State will eventually be a force, but they simply aren't at the moment. Don't really know why I've devoted more than one post to this thread, bored I guess...carry on.

EDIT: Yep, so I guess we were Clowning you and your team! Don't sweat it, I got clowned too! Note to self, never respond to threads at 3am and continue to respond when you do not have all of your faculties, sarcasm is undetectable without them.

boonedocks
September 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Yosef, buddy, you should probably check the cheeks of everyone posting on this thread. You will find tongues firmly planted in the aforementioned cheeks.

Or just look straight up. The point is probably in your airspace now.

AppIAA
September 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM

That's exactly what everyone said would happen.. you would have to EARN your right to being a top FCS school.. it's not just going to be handed to you -- like all the Georgia State fans thought just because of a large enrollment, large endowment, and location.

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Yosef, buddy, you should probably check the cheeks of everyone posting on this thread. You will find tongues firmly planted in the aforementioned cheeks.

Or just look straight up. The point is probably in your airspace now.

Probably so, like I said, just bored. I'll admit, I thought at first the original poster was serious but caught on after his last couple of posts. That's what insomnia will do for you!

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Probably so, like I said, just bored. I'll admit, I thought at first the original poster was serious but caught on after his last couple of posts. That's what insomnia will do for you!

Oh, I'm very serious about the point I'm trying to make with this thread....

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Oh, I'm very serious about the point I'm trying to make with this thread....

That Panther fans are delusional?

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM
No, I'm seriously impressed with the team that Lambuth puts on the field. Last year, I think, they beat Division II powerhouse North Alabama...who, you may recall, knocked off The University of Louisiana-Lafayette, an FBS team just a few short years ago...

That whole thing you mentioned about the Panther fans is simply an uintended and ancillary - but very fortuitous - example of serendipitous happenstance...

Did I mention that I'm REALLY impressed with Lambuth?

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM
No, I'm seriously impressed with the team that Lambuth puts on the field. Last year, I think, they beat Division II powerhouse North Alabama...who, you may recall, knocked off The University of Louisiana-Lafayette, an FBS team just a few short years ago...

That whole thing you mentioned about the Panther fans is simply an uintended and ancillary - but very fortuitous - example of serendipitous happenstance...

Did I mention that I'm REALLY impressed with Lambuth?

I believe you did mention that. This is my first week back to this site since the shutdown a while back, looks like I've missed some back and forth with the Ga. State folks. No worries, up next... UNCC fans.

AppAlum96
September 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I was going to vote for them in the AGS poll this week. I mean, NOBODY has EVER beat GaState before. EVER!

Redbirdz
September 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Maybe they should consider Div. II first.

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Red,

I really don't see where that would be an advantageous move for them. If they're going to move up, and they're going to have to incur the extra costs, they might as well go ahead and move up to Division I-FCS. The've arleady proven they can handle the rigors of tough game day environs at this level and they've demonstrated an ability to compete with and beat elite level players....

I think FCS is the place for them.....

CID1990
September 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Maybe they should consider Div. II first.

Maybe GaState should consider Div II first.

FormerPokeCenter
September 13th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Maybe GaState should consider Div II first.

Now, now...let's not take unnecessary pot shots at Georgia Sate, though I think that was suggested to them several times on other threads....

Let's keep the focus on Lambuth where it belongs. Their impressive performance on Saturday warrants that, I think.

I still can't get over how David came into Goliath's house and slew him with very limited resources. And when you consider all the incredible athletes on the Georgia Sate roster...man....it just keeps getting more and more impressive everytime I think about it.

I really think Lambuth could become another Wofford in the right conference....

glsjunior
September 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
That's exactly what everyone said would happen.. you would have to EARN your right to being a top FCS school.. it's not just going to be handed to you -- like all the Georgia State fans thought just because of a large enrollment, large endowment, and location.

I don't think that anyone thought that THIS particular team would be a force right away. We didn't think we'd lose to Lambuth either. But I also think that this was a wakeup call to the kids on the team that got caught up in the hype. I think that this weeks game against Jax St. will be a better indicator of who on this team actually has FCS talent. Because besides the transfers who obviously do, we have no idea what the talent level of the bulk of our RS Freshman is.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I don't think that anyone thought that THIS particular team would be a force right away. We didn't think we'd lose to Lambuth either. But I also think that this was a wakeup call to the kids on the team that got caught up in the hype. I think that this weeks game against Jax St. will be a better indicator of who on this team actually has FCS talent. Because besides the transfers who obviously do, we have no idea what the talent level of the bulk of our RS Freshman is.

I appreciate that honest appraisal of Georgia Sate's personnel. If Lambuth can come in and knock of a team comprised of playes you believe obviously have FCS talent, then I think that supports my position that they should seek FCS membership.

While I realize you're a Georgia Sate fan and, thus, prone to want to focus on your favorite team, there ARE many threads about Georgia Sate elsewhere on this board.

Do you think you might see your way clear to focus on Lambuth for the purposes of this thread?

Thanks in advance...

What do you think about Lambuth's ability to play in the FCS after you've witnessed their offensive firepower and defensive strengths first hand?

glsjunior
September 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I appreciate that honest appraisal of Georgia Sate's personnel. If Lambuth can come in and knock of a team comprised of playes you believe obviously have FCS talent, then I think that supports my position that they should seek FCS membership.

While I realize you're a Georgia Sate fan and, thus, prone to want to focus on your favorite team, there ARE many threads about Georgia Sate elsewhere on this board.

Do you think you might see your way clear to focus on Lambuth for the purposes of this thread?

Thanks in advance...

What do you think about Lambuth's ability to play in the FCS after you've witnessed their offensive firepower and defensive strengths first hand?

They don't have the budget. They may be broker than Savannah State is.

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Oh. My. God. This thread is AWESOME!

Former Poke Center, you my friend, have hit the nail on the head with this one and I am sooo glad you recognize what a juggernaut Lambuth truly is. I mean, just like you said, for such a small school to defeat a powerhouse like GSU, is nothing short of AMAZING. The question is not should they make the move to FCS, but why haven't they yet?! In fact, an even better question would be, should they just jump straight to FBS considering they beat GSU, a team with multiple FBS transfers and players that had FBS offers. I think you've made the case here that they should, my friend. No doubt about it.

Also, I see that you have posted roughly 3 or 4 threads about GSU since the Lambuth game. I'm also told you've been posting about GSU on GA Southern boards and I even read that you've been coming to our boards on Panther Talk. My friend, even I am not as infatuated by GSU as much as you are, and you should be commended for having such an incredible fixation toward our school. That is why you will be thrilled to know that I've talked to the powers that be in our Alumni Department and your name is being submitted for an honorary GSU degree. It is only fair Poke Center, as you have invested more time into following our program than even our most die hard fans, myself included. Not to mention that with an honorary GSU degree, you can finally say you have a degree since McNeese State Community College has lower admission requirements than online schools like Phoenix College, which have been stripped of their accreditation recently. So you see, it's a win-win for all!xnodx

Oh what joy Poke Center, I am so happy you've come around. Welcome to the GSU family! xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

AppIAA
September 14th, 2010, 06:19 PM

You might not have thought that, but the others on here definitely did.. look through the topics related your team..

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the honest appraisal of Lambuth's athletes and their dominance over Georgia Sate. I'm very impressed that you're here, just three and a half days after such a heartbreaking loss, and that you're taking the time to give Lambuth their props. That's incredibly admirable.

Not just anybody could come on AGS and talk about their favorite school being manhandled by an NAIA squad. That takes guts, kid!

I'm proud of you!

Since this thread is rightfully about Lambuth and their accomplishment, and whether or not their victory over a powerhouse like Georgia Sate bodes well for a move to FCS, I'll restrict my comments accordingly.

I can think of several other threads that would be perfect to continue the discussion points in the rests of your message.

Thanks again for posting on this thread. And I DO appreciate the kind words, but it's really not necessary to congratulate me on being a part of the GSU family. I"ve been a fan for years. When I visited their campus in Stateboro and saw all those flags, I was instantly hooked!

Besides Lambuth's great receiver, did you see any other areas where they dominated that are worthy of discussion? I didn't see the game, but I've read accounts of Lambuth's offensive and defensive lines being dominant. What's your take?

As an aside, is there any video of the game available on the internet? I'd love to see the game. I'm incredibly jealous that you got to experience it in person....

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words and the honest appraisal of Lambuth's athletes and their dominance over Georgia Sate. I'm very impressed that you're here, just three and a half days after such a heartbreaking loss, and that you're taking the time to give Lambuth their props. That's incredibly admirable.

Not just anybody could come on AGS and talk about their favorite school being manhandled by an NAIA squad. That takes guts, kid!

I'm proud of you!

Since this thread is rightfully about Lambuth and their accomplishment, and whether or not their victory over a powerhouse like Georgia Sate bodes well for a move to FCS, I'll restrict my comments accordingly.

I can think of several other threads that would be perfect to continue the discussion points in the rests of your message.

Thanks again for posting on this thread. And I DO appreciate the kind words, but it's really not necessary to congratulate me on being a part of the GSU family. I"ve been a fan for years. When I visited their campus in Stateboro and saw all those flags, I was instantly hooked!

Besides Lambuth's great receiver, did you see any other areas where they dominated that are worthy of discussion? I didn't see the game, but I've read accounts of Lambuth's offensive and defensive lines being dominant. What's your take?

As an aside, is there any video of the game available on the internet? I'd love to see the game. I'm incredibly jealous that you got to experience it in person....
No, my good ol' friend, I insist on congratulating you on becoming part of the GSU family. Truly there has never been a fan of another school that has devoted so much time to our school. I mean, we are talking about 24/7 coverage of a start-up, mind you. Thread after thread, you have shown that we are priority No. 1 for you and for that, you must be recognized. In fact, you have demonstrated such fandom that the only thing worthy of your infatuation with our program is a statue. Yes, a statue. My friend, I will not rest until there is a statue of you in the middle of our campus. Gosh I can see it right now, you posing for pictures as thousands of GSU fans cheer for the greatest GSU fan that never went to GSU. It will be a celebration of all celebrations. Truly nothing but wonderful things to come Ol' Poke Center. I can't tell you how thrilled I am you are our No. 1 fan.

As far as Lambuth and their players, Poke Center, let me just tell you those guys are no joke. I can see why Baltimore Ravens scouts came to see that 6-5/280-pound receiver of theirs. That guy is a monster. But what really surprised me was their running back. That little kid apparently got passed by some big time programs and has a chip on his shoulder like no other. He runs a 4.29 40-yard dash and sees the field as good as a running back can.

And did you know that two, yes TWO, players on that Lambuth team are cousins of our offensive lineman Clyde Yandell, who you might remember for being a nationally ranked player that had an offer from Florida, but ended up at GA Tech before transferring to GSU. I'm telling you Poke Center, you are about as right as it gets when it comes to this Lambuth team. There is a reason they are a nationally ranked NAIA team and they should, without a doubt, move to FCS like yesterday. It is only right after they beat the powerhouse that is GSU.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 06:48 PM
How did Yandell's cousins play? Are they linemen like he is, and were they part of the reason why tiny Lambuth was so dominant against a talent laden squad like Georgia Sate?

What about video of the game? Got any links? You got to experience it first hand, and I know it's something you'd rather forget, but perhaps some of the other fans of college football on this site might like to watch Lambuth take it to a team in a higher division?

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 06:57 PM
How did Yandell's cousins play? Are they linemen like he is, and were they part of the reason why tiny Lambuth was so dominant against a talent laden squad like Georgia Sate?

What about video of the game? Got any links? You got to experience it first hand, and I know it's something you'd rather forget, but perhaps some of the other fans of college football on this site might like to watch Lambuth take it to a team in a higher division?
Poke Center, let me tell ya' something. One of the Yandell cousins is a defensive tackle and the other one is a linebacker. Both of them are midgets. No joke, they are both 5-9, 215 pounds, but they must be like the super midgets or something because they completely dominated their cousin on the line of scrimmage. I wish I had video of the game but oh, what a horror that game was my friend. Now I know how Virginia Tech fans felt this weekend when their team lost to what was supposed to be an inferior opponent. Obviously VT and GSU have so much in common, being the powerhouses that they are, so this weekend was a bitter pill to swallow. Luckily for us GSU fans, we have you by our side and God bless you for it my friend. You are a breath of fresh air!

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Poke Center, let me tell ya' something. One of the Yandell cousins is a defensive tackle and the other one is a linebacker. Both of them are midgets. No joke, they are both 5-9, 215 pounds, but they must be like the super midgets or something because they completely dominated their cousin on the line of scrimmage. I wish I had video of the game but oh, what a horror that game was my friend. Now I know how Virginia Tech fans felt this weekend when their team lost to what was supposed to be an inferior opponent. Obviously VT and GSU have so much in common, being the powerhouses that they are, so this weekend was a bitter pill to swallow. Luckily for us GSU fans, we have you by our side and God bless you for it my friend. You are a breath of fresh air!

Saint, I'm glad to help....now, surely, Yandell's diminuitive cousins didn't control the line of scrimmage all on their own, did they? In what other areas was Lambuth dominant over Georgia Sate? Was the rest of their defensive line as salty as it apears they were from reading the box score. I think I read where Lambuth held Georgia Sate to about 180 yards of total offense, and nearly half of that came on just two plays....Is that true?

It seems incomprehensible that a team as talented as Georgia Sate couldn't get any first downs in the first half.

How much of it was just Lambuth's superior athleticism and how much of it was coaching?

superman7515
September 14th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I think I found the video for ya Poke....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQkvgwE3mWU

The uni's are red, white, & blue; it's in Georgia; and the stadium is pretty empty... Must be the one.

xnodx

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Saint, I'm glad to help....now, surely, Yandell's diminuitive cousins didn't control the line of scrimmage all on their own, did they? In what other areas was Lambuth dominant over Georgia Sate? Was the rest of their defensive line as salty as it apears they were from reading the box score. I think I read where Lambuth held Georgia Sate to about 180 yards of total offense, and nearly half of that came on just two plays....Is that true?

It seems incomprehensible that a team as talented as Georgia Sate couldn't get any first downs in the first half.

How much of it was just Lambuth's superior athleticism and how much of it was coaching?

180 yards? That's a typo. It should read -180 yards. Yes, we had negative yardage and the two touchdowns you are talking about were given to us as mercy by Lambuth. And yes, you are right, it was absolutely incomprehensible that a team as talented as GSU couldn't get any first downs, but that's what happens when you underestimate an opponent. They are not only athletic, but coached by some no-name guy named Ron Dickerson who apparently coached some team that goes by Temple or something. Apparently he played for the Miami Dolphins team that went undefeated back in 1972, but I never heard of Miami Dolphins either so I couldn't tell you much about it. Bottom line is that this undersized and slow Lambuth team with a no-name coach that doesn't have any D1 experience somehow beat the juggernaut that is GSU. Simply mind-boggling. Now I know how Ole Miss fans felt like a couple of weeks ago. I never thought Michigan and GSU fans would have so much in common, but football is a funny sport, ain't it good ol' Poke?

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I think I found the video for ya Poke....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQkvgwE3mWU

The uni's are red, white, & blue; it's in Georgia; and the stadium is pretty empty... Must be the one.

xnodx

Yep. That's the one. As you can see, the mighty GSU met their match last Saturday.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Is that Yung Joc on the soundtrack?

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Is that Yung Joc on the soundtrack?
Not sure. He also has an honorary GSU degree. You guys are practically brothers now!

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM
180 yards? That's a typo. It should read -180 yards. Yes, we had negative yardage and the two touchdowns you are talking about were given to us as mercy by Lambuth. And yes, you are right, it was absolutely incomprehensible that a team as talented as GSU couldn't get any first downs, but that's what happens when you underestimate an opponent. They are not only athletic, but coached by some no-name guy named Ron Dickerson who apparently coached some team that goes by Temple or something. Apparently he played for the Miami Dolphins team that went undefeated back in 1972, but I never heard of Miami Dolphins either so I couldn't tell you much about it. Bottom line is that this undersized and slow Lambuth team with a no-name coach that doesn't have any D1 experience somehow beat the juggernaut that is GSU. Simply mind-boggling. Now I know how Ole Miss fans felt like a couple of weeks ago. I never thought Michigan and GSU fans would have so much in common, but football is a funny sport, ain't it good ol' Poke?

What's Lambuth's offensive line like? And what did their quarterback look lke? But what I"m REALLY dying to know is how was he able to win a quaterback duel with Star Jones?

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 07:36 PM
What's Lambuth's offensive line like? And what did their quarterback look lke? But what I"m REALLY dying to know is how was he able to win a quaterback duel with Star Jones?
Ouff, don't even get me started on their QB and OL. They have this no-name loser QB by the name of David Ingram who thinks he's a hot-shot just because he put up crazy numbers and Saddleback CC. What a prick. His team gets nationally ranked in JUCO ranks and all of a sudden he thinks he's all that and a bag of chips. Then there is their OL. They have this small guy by the name of Josh Profit, who is only 6-3 and weights a measly 305 pounds. And his buddies are even worse. They have this one kid, Jarvis Henderson, who is 6-8/380 pounds. I mean, come on, I've seen bigger kids at peewee games than that. Sheesh. In fact, every single starter on their OL was 295 or bigger. Yet somehow they were able to score 16 points on offense against the mighty GSU. Simply ubelieveable.

Oh and, let me tell you something about that Alabama transfer Star Jackson kid. Now, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, we did not lose this game just because he didn't play because he got suspended for missing the bus to the hotel. No sir. We lost despite playing a very capable freshman QB that played the 2nd game of his college career. In fact, had Star Jackson been in the game, we probably would have lost even worse, since Lambuth obviously responds better to player of higher caliber. You know how these things work as obviously you have more football experience than anyone on this board.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
That's really amazing about Lambuth's size. I had no idea....and the Ingram kid...You said his team was ranked in Juco? Were you taking a shot at Lambuth as being in JUCO? Or did he transfer to Lambuth from Juco?

I realize you're probably NOT a big fan of Lambuth, after what they did to Georgia Sate, so I'd understand if you were taking some sarcastic pot shots at them, but my questions are truly asked in earnest.

I didn't realize that Jones didn't start. I thought you'd indicated on an earlier thread that he was Georgia Sate's most highly prized recruit to date, so - unstandably - I thought the team was his to quarterback to glory...I know I don't often act like it, but I really do value your football acumen and insightful perspective on the game. So, when you tell me that Star Jones is THE guy, well....I took it to the bank.

But, getting back to the point at hand, I get that their coach doesn't have the pedigree and resume that Coach Bill Curry has, but that's the funny thing about this division. Most guys with big-time BCS experience or NFL experience don't fare too well. I mean, aside from Jack Crowe. After he got fired at Arkansas, he was at Jacksonville for what seems like an eternity before claiming a big win...

Jerry Glanville didn't do well at all up at Portland State...

Heck, even Heisman trophy winner Pat Sullivan over at Samford has had to endure some lean years, so I'm impressed that Lambuth's coaching staff was able to be successful - on their shoestring budget, no less - against the fundraising machine that IS Georgia Sate.

Let's see, we've covered the Offensive line, the defensive line, the linebackers, the big wide receiver, the running back, the QB and the coaching...

Is there anything we haven't covered? Oh yeah,...

How's Lambuth's secondary coverage? What sort of alignment do they utilize and - lastly - how's their kicking game?

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Man I am not a fan of Lambuth to say the LEAST. That Ingram kid transferred from Saddleback Junior College and caught mighty GSU off guard. If there is one kink in Lambuth's armor, it would have to be their kicking game and special teams. They missed an extra point after their first touchdown and looked wobbly on the returns. But all that aside, they did to us what JMU did to VT. Clearly JMU belongs in the ACC and god knows Lambuth belongs in FCS. No doubt about it my friend.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 08:07 PM
So line play, receivers, qb, backs and coaching....Aside from the kicking issues, it looks like it was a completely dominant effort across the board from Lambuth....

How well did their fans travel?

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
So line play, receivers, qb, backs and coaching....Aside from the kicking issues, it looks like it was a completely dominant effort across the board from Lambuth....

How well did their fans travel?
Dominant doesn't even begin to describe it. They would easily, and I mean EASILY be ranked Top 10 in FCS this year. Heck, by the way they played, the only way they would lose to another FCS school is if you took all the best players from CAA adn SoCon and put them together on one team. And even then I'm not sure they'd win against Lambuth. Their fans travel well for a school of their size. Had at least 500 there. I mean, there is just not one good reason why they should not be in FCS, as if beating the powerhouse that is GSU is not reason enough.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
500 fans? Following a school that has 450 students? That's damned impressive if you ask me...Granted, it's not on the same scale as the 12k plus that you guys put in the stands that night, but...still....you hafta give them their props...

How did the Lambuth players handle the hostile crowd environment? When you play at App State, Montana, Georgia Southern or Delaware, the crowd becomes an offensive and defensive weapon.

I've seen the Georgia Sate videos and the crowd's been active and enthusiastic. I imagine it's a pretty hostile environment to play in...

How did tiny Lambuth handle the raucous Georgia Dome? Did they seem intimidated?

AppAlum96
September 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM
\\m//(-_-)\\m//

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM
500 fans? Following a school that has 450 students? That's damned impressive if you ask me...Granted, it's not on the same scale as the 12k plus that you guys put in the stands that night, but...still....you hafta give them their props...

How did the Lambuth players handle the hostile crowd environment? When you play at App State, Montana, Georgia Southern or Delaware, the crowd becomes an offensive and defensive weapon.

I've seen the Georgia Sate videos and the crowd's been active and enthusiastic. I imagine it's a pretty hostile environment to play in...

How did tiny Lambuth handle the raucous Georgia Dome? Did they seem intimidated?
I gotta tell you, 12,000+ fans was very disappointing for GSU, despite the fact that it ranked us at No. 15 in attendance out of 126 FCS teams in the nation last week, and those little Lambuth buggers didn't seem affected at all. At ALL. I'm telling you, you hit the nail on the head. Lambuth to FCS today!

superman7515
September 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
How is this not in smack yet? haha

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I gotta tell you, 12,000+ fans was very disappointing for GSU, despite the fact that it ranked us at No. 15 in attendance out of 126 FCS teams in the nation last week, and those little Lambuth buggers didn't seem affected at all. At ALL. I'm telling you, you hit the nail on the head. Lambuth to FCS today!

So total domination on both sides of the ball, superior coaching and the crowd wasn't a factor. The more I learn about Lambuth, the more I like the Eagles.

Did you see any weaknesses on the part of Lambuth? And, while we're on that subject, let me deviate for just a second and revisit the Georgia Sate crowd.

Once it became apparent that Lambuth was more than capable of holding their own, how did the Panther football team and the Panther fans react to adversity? You know, things like fumbles, penalties and interceptions?

Did the crowd get silent when things were going poorly?

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
So total domination on both sides of the ball, superior coaching and the crowd wasn't a factor. The more I learn about Lambuth, the more I like the Eagles.

Did you see any weaknesses on the part of Lambuth? And, while we're on that subject, let me deviate for just a second and revisit the Georgia Sate crowd.

Once it became apparent that Lambuth was more than capable of holding their own, how did the Panther football team and the Panther fans react to adversity? You know, things like fumbles, penalties and interceptions?

Did the crowd get silent when things were going poorly?
The entire GSU team AND ALL the GSU fans were shaking in their boots after the Lambuth's very first down. In fact, all the GSU fans cleared out of the Dome with 13:07 left in the first quarter, and only 500 Lambuth fans remained for the entire game. True story. Lambuth is the most intimidating team in all of college football. Those guys should be playing in FCS playoffs this year and it's a shame they don't.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
..12,000+ fans was very disappointing for GSU.....and those little Lambuth buggers didn't seem affected at all. At ALL. !

the picture you're painting is very vivid. Did the Panthers win ANY battles at all? Or is Lambuth just "that damned good?"

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 09:16 PM
the picture you're painting is very vivid. Did the Panthers win ANY battles at all? Or is Lambuth just "that damned good?"

That good? My friend, they are the BEST.

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 09:39 PM
That good? My friend, they are the BEST.

Any sense for how Lambuth will do through the rest of the schedule, when they get back to playing NAIA teams?

bjtheflamesfan
September 14th, 2010, 10:06 PM
How is this not in smack yet? haha
Well unlike you the posters have been very respectful of the discussion and so no action is necessary by myself or any of the other moderators

FormerPokeCenter
September 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I've made a concerted effort to be unprovokable, but as far as "being respectful of the discussion" I think you might want to reread the last day or so of posts. There's been quite a bit of provocation there.....and - for once - I'm not involved ;)

SaintDK10
September 14th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Any sense for how Lambuth will do through the rest of the schedule, when they get back to playing NAIA teams?

As you've said, GSU is a powerhouse and considering Lambuth beat us, pretty much ANY NAIA team that beats them should definitely be an FCS program. I think we can ALL agree on that.

FormerPokeCenter
September 15th, 2010, 07:28 AM
As you've said, GSU is a powerhouse and considering Lambuth beat us, pretty much ANY NAIA team that beats them should definitely be an FCS program. I think we can ALL agree on that.

So, if Lambuth gets beaten by NAIA squads this year, would that cause you to rethink last week's game in terms of what it means for your program?

Would you be inclined to view the Lambuth/Georgia Sate game as an Epic Fail for the Panthers if Lambuth doesn't win out?

SaintDK10
September 15th, 2010, 09:49 AM
So, if Lambuth gets beaten by NAIA squads this year, would that cause you to rethink last week's game in terms of what it means for your program?

Would you be inclined to view the Lambuth/Georgia Sate game as an Epic Fail for the Panthers if Lambuth doesn't win out?
Not in the slightest. As you mentioned yourself numerous times, GSU is an FCS powerhouse that was beaten by an FCS-worthy team Lambuth, so any team that beats them must be even MORE FCS-worthy, no? I mean, there can't be any other concluson, can there?

FormerPokeCenter
September 15th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Well, arguably, there could be any number of other "conclusons"....but - for now - I'm going with the Lambuth Eagles - despite being tiny, bankrupt and populated with athletes who weren't signed by major programs - are an FCS worthy team.

But, if they drop some other NAIA games, I might have to rethink my premise. It may be appropriate, at the end of the season, to at least consider the fact that Georgia Sate might be better suited for the NAIA, instead of having Lambuth move up.

But, that might be premature and there's an awful lot of football left to be played. I'm gonna keep my eye on both squads and see how they do...';)

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Georgia State, Still Undefeate........ oops.

FormerPokeCenter
September 16th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Anybody know where I can get lines on NAIA games? I'd like to see how Lambuth is supposed to stack up against their next opponent....

C'mon, I know some of you gaming afficianados will know how to hook me up with some information ;)

FormerPokeCenter
September 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I gotta tell ya, Lambuth's looking more and more like the real deal. They took down Georgia Sate convincingly, then took down a top ranked Division II team...

Wow ;)

UTM Sports Fanatic
September 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I sure hope they arn't all that good, we play them in the middle of the season....I was thinking easy win..oops.

FormerPokeCenter
September 22nd, 2010, 07:21 AM
I sure hope they arn't all that good, we play them in the middle of the season....I was thinking easy win..oops.

That's going to be an interesting game to watch. I think we'll get a true feel for Lambuth's ability after that game.

On another note, I'm glad to see the participants in this thread treating the subject matter with the seriousness it deserves. The other Lambuth thread was obviously having a little bit of fun at my expense and it got moved to smack.

Thanks to all who've participated in this thread in a serious manner....With recent discussions about several FCS teams moving to FBS conferences, we should always be on the lookout for new viable teams for our division...

kperk014
September 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=FormerPokeCenter;1557168]That's going to be an interesting game to watch. I think we'll get a true feel for Lambuth's ability after that game.

QUOTE]

You won't have to wait that long. We'll see this Saturday when UNA with Lee Chapple, Jarmon Fortson, Donald Bowens, Tim Hawthorne, William Brimfield, Lucas Darr, Rod Woodson, Nate Frazier, our 2 Hurricane defensive ends, and company roll into Jackson.

kperk014
September 25th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Lambuth DOES have a good football team. Very tenacious but not tenacious enough. UNA 31- Lambuth 0 Would like to get a shot at Bill Curry and Ga State.

FormerPokeCenter
September 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=FormerPokeCenter;1557168]That's going to be an interesting game to watch. I think we'll get a true feel for Lambuth's ability after that game.

QUOTE]

You won't have to wait that long. We'll see this Saturday when UNA with Lee Chapple, Jarmon Fortson, Donald Bowens, Tim Hawthorne, William Brimfield, Lucas Darr, Rod Woodson, Nate Frazier, our 2 Hurricane defensive ends, and company roll into Jackson.

Well, Lambuth got rocked, 31-0, by Division II, North Alabama. This is the same Division II North Alabama that beat down The University of Slow Learners (Southwestern Louisiana Institute, University of Southwestern Louisiana or University of Louisiana @ Lafayette, or whatever else they're calling themselves this week. I wasn't too excited about the UNA win over USL, because - well - quite frankly, USL doesn't belong in FBS.

But UNA's total domination of Lambuth was pretty impressive. I'm having to rethink my position on Lambuth moving to the FCS, if the funds were available. They got a worse beatdown than USL did and USL would finish in the bottom half of the SLC year in and year out...so...

Lambuth may not be the powerhouse that I thought it was....I guess we'll hafta see.

And as far as Georgia Sate's close loss to the Eagles...well....that sorta casts a pall over that performance, too....

kperk014
September 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I wish North Alabama had a game with Tennessee this year. They really struggle staying interested in who they're playing in D2.

Big Al
September 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM
That's Terry Bowden's team, right? Word I hear is they're gunning to move up to D-I. He has also brought in a lot of D-I transfers.

superman7515
September 27th, 2010, 04:10 PM
The fact that this thread is still alive is an affront to God.

FormerPokeCenter
September 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
The fact that this thread is still alive is an affront to God.

Now, now....it's a relevant thread. First, Lambuth beat one of the most highly touted teams in FCS, coached by a big name....then it got shellacked by a Division II squad, coached by a big name.

I'm having to rethink Lambuth, though....The way that UNA clobbered them certainly doesn't bode well for FCS aspirations...

And, it's making the Georgia Sate loss look a little suspect...

But, beyond that, I think your'e being way to harsh about this thread. I gotta have SOME worthwhile diversions on AGS. It's not like MY team's doing very well right now. Certainly rooting for Lambuth can't do any harm can it?

SuperEagle
October 24th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I may have to re-think my position on Lambuth moving up. After getting blasted 2 games ago to a team called Wisconsin Oshkosh, this past week the Eagles suffered a blowout to UT Martin 52-21. And the score could have been much worse if it weren't for some nice coaching. It was 45-7 after 3 quarters. Since putting up 23 on that tenacious Ga. State defense, the Eagles have only scored a total of 43 points in their next 4 contests to drop to 2-5. I thought Lambuth would build off of that massive Ga. Dome upset but it doesn't appear they have. So maybe at this time they should stay where they are. It pains me to say that as I was hoping they would be a great addition to the FCS. But right now they just don't seem to be a team that is worth a crap. Maybe they're still on an emotional high after winning in the Ga. Dome before that raucous crowd? Hopefully they can pull it all together soon.

UNHFan
October 24th, 2010, 09:23 PM
OK.... see this is ridiculous, G State is not FCS team! We are so blessed to be legit (FCS Football) these days. G State has a way to go.. GREAT START!!!! and SUPPORT!!! I get it!!! And soooooooo happy for them and what they will bring to the table at some point! They are a non FCS Question right now. But I so look forward to what Old Dominion and G State are gong to bring to the table!!! Huge attendance!! and great support to FCS football! Please drop the Lamar thing! Now if Lamar takes down a real CAA team any time soon? Ill listen

UNHFan
October 24th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Wait i see Lamar is in the FCS Now??

UNHFan
October 24th, 2010, 09:45 PM
OK!!! opinion changed!!! Please come to FCS!!! Wow! What great support you have... I say yes!!

FormerPokeCenter
October 24th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Lamar was I-AA when they disbanded football and are starting where they left off 21 years ago...They're FCS....

LamBUTH is an NAIA squad who beat a talent laden Georgia Sate squad loaded with BCS transfers....