PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference - Week Three Predictions

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Welcome to our annual Southland Conference prediction thread. I will not be keeping track of everyone's results week to week, so you are more than welcome to do your part in helping out! For purposes of Lamar's entrance into the league in 2011, we'll also be including them in our predictions!

Week Three Game Listing
Sam Houston State @ Western Illinois
Stephen F. Austin @ Northern Iowa
Nicholls @ South Alabama
Murray State @ Central Arkansas
Tarleton State @ Northwestern State
Cal Poly @ Texas State-San Marcos
Lamar @ Southeastern Louisiana

Week Three TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis

Sam Houston State @ Western Illinois - The Bearkats are seeking an offense and we'll be hard-pressed to take one on the road. WESTERN ILLINOIS

Stephen F. Austin @ Northern Iowa - A marquee match-up that will be tough for the Lumberjacks to win. Their offense is clicking based off the Albany result though the folks from up north are questioning class. Yes, the Jacks may be the "class" of the FCS. STEPHEN F AUSTIN

Nicholls @ South Alabama - An unclassified South Alabama team is tough to top. This is a big game for them and it is the third straight guarntee game for the Colonels. Short trip though. SOUTH ALABAMA

Murray State @ Central Arkansas - Eastern Illinois down last week, this week Murray State. The Bears beat an OVC team and will add another to their count. CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Tarleton State @ Northwestern State - Until Bradley Dale Peveto gets a 'W', it is hard to pick with them. The only reason to go with them is that TSU has lost consecutive games to tems from OKLAHOMA. That does not happen for LSC squads and should not if those LSC squads are from Texas. NORTHWESTERN STATE

Cal Poly @ Texas State-San Marcos - Cal Poly just did defeat the No. 1 team in the country (Montana). Albeit it was at home, but the Mustangs are not going to be a joke. The Bobcats are still sputtering. I have yet to read BFs.com, but doubt they were too thrilled with the lack of blowout against SAU. CAL POLY

Lamar @ Southeastern Louisiana - Lamar will head to SLU, but their result against Webber International was confusing. Did the Cardinals really play against McNeese like it was their "Super Bowl"? Hard to justify otherwise until proven otherwise. Connors was a beast for SLU last week! SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 14-2 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 142-60 (49-34 SLC)

centexguy
September 12th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Lamar plays at Southeastern Louisiana so it's going to even tougher for Lamar to win this one. Lamar played sloppy against Webber International (5 fumbles, 2 INT) but still moved the ball well against them. Lamar will be the underdog this year against all their FCS opponents.

blackfordpu
September 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Week 1: 8-0
Week 2: 5-3

Nicholls @ South Alabama
Southeastern Louisiana @ Lamar

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Lamar plays at Southeastern Louisiana so it's going to even tougher for Lamar to win this one. Lamar played sloppy against Webber International (5 fumbles, 2 INT) but still moved the ball well against them. Lamar will be the underdog this year against all their FCS opponents.

I would you guys moved the ball well against Webber International... it would be pretty embarssing if you didn't due to the scholarship discrepancy! Thanks for correcting - fixed the WHERE.

SLURoomie
September 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Week Three Game Listing
Nicholls @ South Alabama

GeauxLions94
September 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Last week - 5-2

Sam Houston State (0-1) @ Western Illinois (1-1) - Bearkats took a breather after one week and get back out on the road heading to Macomb to face the Leathernecks ... Kats will look to do better than 31-point loss at Baylor two weeks ago and look to stay close with WIU, which won last year's matchup in Huntsville ... WESTERN ILLINOIS

Stephen F. Austin (1-1) @ Northern Iowa (1-0) - SFA heads up to Panther Country to face UNI in a battle of nationally-ranked teams ... Jacks shouldn't have as much a problem with cramps since the game's being played indoors ... SFA comes off a win over Albany in steamy Nacogdoches while UNI knocked off nationally-ranked NDSU in its opener ... should be a good game, I'll take the team in purple xnodx ... STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Nicholls (0-2) @ South Alabama (1-0) - Nicholls finally got some offense against Western Michigan, but has given up 47 and 49 points in its first two games ... doubt USA can score that much, but until the Colonels prove they can stop someone, gotta go with the Jags, who are playing their first official DI opponent ... SOUTH ALABAMA

Murray State (0-2) @ Central Arkansas (2-0) - After a "sluggish" opening two weeks ago, UCA put the foot on the gas with a 30-point win at Eastern Illinois ... looks like the Bears are back and should improve to 3-0 with a win over the winless Racers ... CENTRAL ARKANSAS

Tarleton State (0-2) @ Northwestern State (0-2) - I said it last week (and lost) and I'll say it again -first win for BDP! A loss to the winless Texans and it's going to be a VERY, VERY, VERY LONG YEAR in Meatpie-land ... NORTHWESTERN STATE

Cal Poly (2-0) @ Texas State (1-1) - Cal Poly finally got over the Montana hump and now has to travel to face Texas State ... Bobcats didn't get the big win that was expected over DII Southern Arkansas, but I like the Cats in the upset special over the unbeaten Mustangs ... TEXAS STATE

Lamar (1-1) @ Southeastern Louisiana (1-1) - Lamar earned a 21-14 win over Webber International last week while the Lions picked up 24-10 win over OVC opponent UT Martin ... Zeke Jones and Sam Fairley each ran for over 100 yards for the Lions - the first time that has happened since football returned to campus in 2003 ... Lion defense, though, gave up 390 yards in the air to UTM but picked off four passes including two by All-America candidate Tommy Connors ... it'll be the first meeting between the schools since 1969, who will fight for conference bragging rights beginning in 2011 ... SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

NSUDemon98
September 12th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Tarleton St at Northwestern State - After what I saw yesterday, Tarleton St.
SHSU at WIU - Western Illinois
SFA at UNI - Northern Iowa
Nicholls at South Alabama - "USA, USA, USA!"
Murray State at UCA - UCA big
Cal Poly at TxState - Cal Poly
Lamar at SLU - SLU

TexasTerror
September 12th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Do we have a status update on Beatty for SLU? This game may be the one they need him more than the last, though the defense was stellar last week against UTM and pretty sturdy against Tulane. May be the best defense that the Cardinals have seen and they got stifled by Webber!

lionsrking2
September 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Do we have a status update on Beatty for SLU? This game may be the one they need him more than the last, though the defense was stellar last week against UTM and pretty sturdy against Tulane. May be the best defense that the Cardinals have seen and they got stifled by Webber!

He probably could have played this week had it been a conference game of significance (aren't they all?!) or a playoff game...my understanding is he may be ready to go this week, but may or may not start...he'll definitely be ready for ULM.

As for whether we'll need him more this week than last, I dunno...UTM was pretty solid, and better than some teams in our league IMO...we didn't play well in the second half, and Young missed a ton of wide open receivers, but I thought we beat a solid, well-coached football team with considerably less than our best effort, and with a backup QB taking his first collegiate snaps.

blackfordpu
September 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Last week - 5-2

There were eight games last week.

GeauxLions94
September 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM
There were eight games last week.

6-2 then ... I forgot to count Lamar (it still sucked ... what was I thinking picking BDP over Samford)

McNeese75
September 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Sam Houston State @ Western Illinois Just going with the home team on this one.
Stephen F. Austin @ Northern Iowa Panthers will get physical in this one.
Nicholls @ South Alabama Colonels still looking for that first win.
Murray State @ Central Arkansas Big win for the Bears last week (they are getting on the radar)
Tarleton State @ Northwestern State If the Demons don't win this one, BP may be riding a rail.
Cal Poly @ Texas State-San Marcos This will be a gut check game for the Cats (Cowboys will see CP in LC the following week)
Lamar @ Southeastern Louisiana Lack of a running game will doom the Cards in this one.

2010 results

8-0
6-2

Seat16Demon
September 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Sam Houston State @ Western Illinois Just going with the home team on this one.
Stephen F. Austin @ Northern Iowa Panthers will get physical in this one.
Nicholls @ South Alabama Colonels still looking for that first win.
Murray State @ Central Arkansas Big win for the Bears last week (they are getting on the radar)
Tarleton State @ Northwestern State If the Demons don't win this one, BP may be riding a rail.
Cal Poly @ Texas State-San Marcos This will be a gut check game for the Cats (Cowboys will see CP in LC the following week)
Lamar @ Southeastern Louisiana Lack of a running game will doom the Cards in this one.

2010 results

8-0
6-2

NO, I say, if the Demons lose this one because of the lack of offense, Todd Cooley can pack his bags and hit the ground running before the bus runs him down! The Defense played well last week, but Cooley was asleep at the wheel!

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2010, 11:44 AM
NO, I say, if the Demons lose this one because of the lack of offense, Todd Cooley can pack his bags and hit the ground running before the bus runs him down! The Defense played well last week, but Cooley was asleep at the wheel!

If the Demons lose - I guess we can all be thankful there's no Peveto Promise involved! And we won't have to read about how no fans asked for refunds... ;)

slandfan7
September 13th, 2010, 03:00 PM
1.Sam Houston State vs Western Illinois- bearkats by 3. I know its an away game for them but i think they have a strong team this year and have some solid new juco transfers. (24-21)
2.SFA vs N. Iowa- lumberjacks by 3. Don't think it will be as a high scoring game as everyone thinks, I think both teams have good defenses. Game could go either way but with Moses at qb ill take him against most teams. (31-28)
3. Nicholls vs South Alabama - Nicholls by 6. South Alabama is a new program and is up n coming, however i think Nicholls wins this one. (13-7)
4.Murry State vs C. Ark- C. Ark by 7. Central Arkansas could make some noise this year in the southland and this would be a good win for them. (24-17)
5.T. State vs Northwestern State- demons by 10. Demons get the win, i don't see them losing to a d-11 school although they are a good d-11(24-14)
6. Cal Poly vs Tx State- cal poly by 6. I will be rooting for the bobcats. I think their freshman qb has a bright future ahead of him and will keep tx state playing at a high level, however basing tx state off their first 2 games i don't see this winning (20-14)
7. Lamar vs Southeastern LA.- Southeastern by 7. Sorry Lamar, i know yall gave the cowboys a run for their money in week 1 but i just dont see yall winning. (17-10).

Im new so cut me some slack if my predictions are totally wrong!

McNeese72
September 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
7. Lamar vs Southeastern LA.- Southeastern by 7. Sorry Lamar, i know yall gave the cowboys a run for their money in week 1 but i just dont see yall winning. (17-10).

After this past week's results, I don't think Lamar staying close to McNeese is all that impressive anymore. :(

Doc

msusig
September 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Nicholls @ South Alabama
Southeastern Louisiana @ Lamar

16-0

TexasTerror
September 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
3. Nicholls vs South Alabama - Nicholls by 6. South Alabama is a new program and is up n coming, however i think Nicholls wins this one. (13-7)

Though USA has not played any games above D2 prior to Nicholls, they have guys with more legitimate collegiate experience based on games played, crowds played infront of, time utilizing system in a contest, etc...

Just so confused why people are going with the Colonels over Jaguars. Seen a few people suggesting such elsewhere...

lionsrking2
September 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Though USA has not played any games above D2 prior to Nicholls, they have guys with more legitimate collegiate experience based on games played, crowds played infront of, time utilizing system in a contest, etc...

Just so confused why people are going with the Colonels over Jaguars. Seen a few people suggesting such elsewhere...

I have no idea who will win the Nicholls/USA game, nor will I make a prediction, though I don't find it confusing in the least bit that someone would take the Colonels...yes, they have a new staff and a new system, but do have good players and have had a couple of game runs to iron out some kinks...USA has yet to play a team with multiple D-I caliber players and I'm not sold that they've recruited much better than FCS level talent...they'll have a big crowd behind them at home, but I wouldn't sell the Colonels short in this one.

NSUDemon98
September 13th, 2010, 09:24 PM
If the Demons lose - I guess we can all be thankful there's no Peveto Promise involved! And we won't have to read about how no fans asked for refunds... ;)

Why?

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Why?

That would be another 0-2 start for the Demons at Turpin, correct? I'm sure this year, there'd be even more dissatisfied fans than there were last year... though wasn't one of the first two games a year ago a blowout loss?

msusig
September 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Why?

So how many season will your fans give Peveto to turn the program around? 2, 3, or 4? I can't imagine they will be patient enough for a 3rd season if you don't get some wins this season.

NSUDemon98
September 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
That would be another 0-2 start for the Demons at Turpin, correct? I'm sure this year, there'd be even more dissatisfied fans than there were last year... though wasn't one of the first two games a year ago a blowout loss?

No, was that comment really necessary? I guess I just don't understand...it's as if you aren't happy unless there is something negative to say about someone.

NSUDemon98
September 14th, 2010, 09:47 AM
So how many season will your fans give Peveto to turn the program around? 2, 3, or 4? I can't imagine they will be patient enough for a 3rd season if you don't get some wins this season.

I say if things don't get better this season he'll get one more crack and then be shown the door. He's got great charisma, even TexasTerror would like him if they were to speak face to face, he gets alumni involved with the program, the players like him...if he didn't have those other qualities he might be out after this season depending on the final record. But that is just my IMO.

TexasTerror
September 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I say if things don't get better this season he'll get one more crack and then be shown the door. He's got great charisma, even TexasTerror would like him if they were to speak face to face, he gets alumni involved with the program, the players like him...if he didn't have those other qualities he might be out after this season depending on the final record. But that is just my IMO.

There's no question that Peveto brings plenty of energy! I've been very complementary of his efforts in getting everyone involved. Willie Fritz at SHSU has done the same thing, it's been great!

For Peveto, his on the field efforts have been coming up short. Lots of hype, but no results. Time will tell...

NSUDemon98
September 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM
There's no question that Peveto brings plenty of energy! I've been very complementary of his efforts in getting everyone involved. Willie Fritz at SHSU has done the same thing, it's been great!

For Peveto, his on the field efforts have been coming up short. Lots of hype, but no results. Time will tell...

That's just the thing...Peveto doesn't write the columns on nsudemons.com or for the S'port Times or Alex. Town Talk.

When people who don't give two flips about NSU make comments it just comes across as trying to take an easy shot just for fun. If anyone should be disgruntled about the W-L ratio it's Demon fans.

Seat16Demon
September 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Bottom line is this! Peveto will be back next season because we are scheduled to play LSU next season. This is just the honest truth. If we improve this season, he will help himself towards next year. If we flop again next year, he will be out the door and we can start over. If we are even better next year, he will be on board for another year.....Our big problem right now is OC. We need one...anyone interested can send their resume to the Athletic Department.

jhanel
September 16th, 2010, 11:07 AM
NSU WINS!

JoshUCA
September 16th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Week Three Game Listing
Nicholls @ South Alabama

Retro
September 16th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Back on topic!!!!!!!!!!

Nicholls @ South Alabama

TexasTerror
September 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM
May change to Tarleton State over Northwestern State...

Newberry is beating Samford at Samford 21-7 right now, 2Q... we'll see.

jhanel
September 17th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Will see

crossfire07
September 17th, 2010, 09:10 AM

a lot of schools would have let him go after 1 year. a lot of hype was made about him coming in and he didn't deliver. If he loses this week I don't think he will be back next year. LSU or not. I don't understand why they would hold onto him just so he could go play at a school he was going to get fired from. maybe someone can explain it.

El Gato
September 17th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Sam Houston State @ Western Illinois, WIU by 21
Stephen F. Austin @ Northern Iowa *SLC Game of the Week* UNI by 12
Nicholls @ South Alabama SAU by 17
Murray State @ Central Arkansas UCA by 24
Tarleton State @ Northwestern State . I think Peveto may get his first W. NWST by 14
Cal Poly @ Texas State-San Marcos. Homer pick...TxState by 7
Lamar @ Southeastern Louisiana SLU by 21

Week 1 8-0
Week 2 7-1
Overall 15-1

Didn't research a whole lot, so may change my picks before tomorrow.

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 17th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Sam Houston State @ Western Illinois--WIU won this game in a shootout last year and seems improved. SHSU lost alot from last year, plus new staff gets first road FCS test. Plus, they're still searching for an offense...I'll take the 'Necks by 17, 31-14.

Stephen F. Austin @ Northern Iowa--SFA offense faces a true test in the UNI defense (much better than any in the SLC) and the rabid UNIDome crowd. It will either be shootout with SFA winning or a low-scoring, defensive battle with the Panthers EEKING out a late victory. I'll take the latter, UNI in a thriller, 9-7.

Nicholls @ South Alabama--I know very little about USA other than they're a start-up program that will soon join the Sun Belt. Nicholls is still getting use to passing the ball. YIKES. JAGS win 37-21.

Murray State @ Central Arkansas--UCA looked unbelievable against the OVC favorite last week at their place. At home...against another OVC foe...UCA in a laugher, 47-10.

Tarleton State @ Northwestern State--NW St. looked pretty good in the first half vs. Air Force. I think this is the improved NWSt. that we should all get use to seeing...therefore they will get by a pesky TSU team. Demons by 14, 35-21.

Cal Poly @ Texas State--At points, the TxSt. offense looked REALLY good against SAU; at other times, we couldn't find our butt with both hands. However, the defense has improved (only really gave up a FG last week), and with Bliel's track record against option teams, the home crowd, the Texas heat, Mustangs still celebrating their win over Montana (I'm amazed/jealous they always play Montana tough!!)...Cats win by 3? 34-31

Lamar @ Southeastern Louisiana--Lamar has been hard to read thus far. Are they the team that only lost by 3 at McNeese or the team that squeaked by NAIA Webber International on Homecoming? I guess that's the inconsistency that comes with being a start up, but they did show an explosive offense at McNeese. SELA's my pick to win the SLC and will hopefully have their starting QB back. If so, SELA wins this one...35-17.

BEAR
September 17th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Are there any Murray State fans on this board? Seriously? C'mon folks, this football thing is no fun unless there's some banter. :)

TexasTerror
September 18th, 2010, 07:20 PM
3-0 thus far...

Western Illinois stomps Sam...

SFA defeats Northern Iowa 22-20 - big win for the league!

Nicholls lost 39-21 to South Alabama...

Cat79
September 19th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Final
Texas State 21 Cal Poly 12

BamaJag13
September 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Nicholls @ South Alabama--I know very little about USA other than they're a start-up program that will soon join the Sun Belt. Nicholls is still getting use to passing the ball. YIKES. JAGS win 37-21.

Pretty close.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs626.snc4/58659_426874069330_765339330_5002788_122105_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs638.snc4/59863_426873879330_765339330_5002775_7501299_n.jpg

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm keeping tabs on the Jaguars...

Figure they would probably be a top 40 FCS program this year based on what I know of their talent. We'll see how they do in their remaining games against Div I competition. Next year will be the best measure when you are classified and playing a schedule more worth a ****.

Nice job with Tulane - though a few folks in the media here in NOLA were dogging it. Said there's no reason to go to Mobile, Ala. for a game when you have the Superdome. Problem is - South Alabama puts more butts in the seats than Tulane will against anyone not from the SEC, SLC or SWAC!

BamaJag13
September 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Top 40 might be somewhat generous, but we've definitely drawn some good players and we're recruiting well.

We should be win the next three games comfortably over NAIA Edward Waters, DII Kentucky Wesleyan, and DII Missouri S&T, but the five game stretch to close out the season is going to be quite a challenge. Trips to Texas and particulary California will really tell us how far we've come. Our last opponent, Arkansas-Monticello from D-II's Gulf South Conference, beat up on Southern a couple of weeks ago and we have to face them on a short week of preparation. It should be a fun time.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Top 40 might be somewhat generous, but we've definitely drawn some good players and we're recruiting well.

It may not be - I'd be willing to place Lamar in my top 25 after their win over my previous top 25 selection Southeastern La and their near win over a current top 25 team of mine - McNeese.

We should be win the next three games comfortably over NAIA Edward Waters, DII Kentucky Wesleyan, and DII Missouri S&T, but the five game stretch to close out the season is going to be quite a challenge. Trips to Texas and particulary California will really tell us how far we've come. Our last opponent, Arkansas-Monticello from D-II's Gulf South Conference, beat up on Southern a couple of weeks ago and we have to face them on a short week of preparation. It should be a fun time.

I would hope you guys win comfortable over Edward Waters. Saw a club team lost to them 26-21 after leading 21-14 yesterday! So they are pretty equal to a non-scholarship squad...