PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Power Rankings - Week 2.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 12th, 2010, 06:48 AM
After two weeks in the books, here's my guess at where the SoCon is.

1) Appalachian St. - At 2-0, they are the top dog until someone proves otherwise.
2) Furman - Impressive win over Colgate.
3) Chattanooga - I wouldn't want to play them, they're like ASU of last year with two close losses.
4) Elon - Weak SOS puts them here (Dook, Shaw)
5) Wofford - Good win vs. Charleston Southern
6) Samford - Good win vs. Northwestern St.
7) Georgia Southern - Had nothing to be ashamed of vs. Navy
8) The Citadel - At least they lost to an FBS team
9) Western Carolina - we know why

seantaylor
September 12th, 2010, 06:23 PM
GSU any lower than 3rd is a joke. Best defense in the conference by far.

GunsAndGuitars
September 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM

I wouldn't put Chatty over GSU right now. I'm not sure about Elon yet. Western just looks like they should drop divisions for a while.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Chattanooga took two very good teams (ASU, JSU) to the limit. A few breaks Chattanooga's way and they could be #1. A few breaks GSU's way against Navy could have propelled them higher. I really believe at this juncture that Georgia Southern has a lot of upside and can move up with some wins. Elon gets Richmond this week in a game that could go either way. Given what has happened the last two weeks, Spurrier will do everything in his power to ensure what happened to Ole Miss and Va Tech does not happen to USC. I also believe that there is a level of parity between Elon, Furman, Chattanooga in one group behind ASU with Georgia Southern, Wofford and Samford right behind them.

Saint3333
September 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I think we'll be moving GSU up these ranking in a couple of weeks. Right now there are quite a few SoCon teams I'd rather ASU avoid for 2-3 weeks until hopefully the secondary gets their act together, luckily that's how the schedule shapes up.

yosef1969
September 13th, 2010, 02:50 AM

ASU
FU
GSU
Elon
Samford
WC
UTC
The Citadel
WCU

Gotta agree. Rating WC and UTC above GSU is absurd at this point. An argument could be made to rate Samford and Elon higher but just don't think it holds up at this point. It could all change but based on results so far UTC and WC in particular, haven't outperformed GSU. Could see someone putting them at 4 as reasonable but based on what I've seen thus far I rate them one spot above Elon.

GSU had an impressive outing in week 1 against a very bad FCS club and held it's own and had a shot to the end with a decent FBS team. Once O catches up with D, watch out.

Elon played with Dook for 3 quarters before they succombed to the might Blue Devils and they trounced a D-II.

UTC had two close losses but both were losses. UTC should be more in the 5-7 range.

Samford is still an unknown at this point IMO, 53 pt loss to a mediocre FSU team and a win against very mediocre FCS club aren't awe inspiring.

Wofford - see Samford.

ASU still has a lot to prove too but partly because I'm a homer and partly because they have to be knocked off the top spot at this point to place anyone in the SoCon ahead of them, they keep the top stop.

FU had a very nice win against a quality opponent giving them the #2 spot.

The bottom speaks for itself.

T-Dog
September 13th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Right now, App, Elon and Furman are. Mostly based on respect and last season though. GSU doesn't have it right now. CCU will be a very good gauge of how good GSU is.

The SoCon is very good this year IMO. App, Furman, Elon, GSU, Wofford and possibly UTC and/or Samford will be fighting for playoff spots.

soweagle
September 13th, 2010, 08:01 AM
This conference is still App and everyone else. Big log jam at 2-6 with Citadel and WCU at the bottom. That 2-6 will straighten out over the next few weeks. I will say I think the Eagles are probably a 4 or 5 place team in the league. Defense looked good against the run and a weak Sav state. Lets see what they can do against a good passing game. The offense has a long way to go to approach the way GSU fans expect to see the option ran.

I want to know the following:

1) Is Elon as good as advertised?
2) Is Furman the sleeping giant this year? Not sure of the QB situation (I have never liked dual qb's)
3) Can UTC keep up the momentum after two hard fought losses and is depth the reason they haven't been able to finish a game or is it an atmosphere of losing?
4) I have no idea what to expect out of Samford and Wofford.

gophoenix
September 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
This conference is still App and everyone else. Big log jam at 2-6 with Citadel and WCU at the bottom. That 2-6 will straighten out over the next few weeks. I will say I think the Eagles are probably a 4 or 5 place team in the league. Defense looked good against the run and a weak Sav state. Lets see what they can do against a good passing game. The offense has a long way to go to approach the way GSU fans expect to see the option ran.

2) Is Furman the sleeping giant this year? Not sure of the QB situation (I have never liked dual qb's)
3) Can UTC keep up the momentum after two hard fought losses and is depth the reason they haven't been able to finish a game or is it an atmosphere of losing?

All are good questions. But, another question I pose is.... is App really on top? Or is it only history that puts them there? Is it really a log jam 2-6 or 1-7.

What you have is an App come form behind and beating of a bad team. Right now, the good teams have beaten they teams they should, soundly and lost the ones they should. So.... how do you measure anyone at this point.

ElonPride
September 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Judging from the first two games, the offense seems to be fine. There seems to be a bit of an injury problem at the RB positions. The backfield was supposed to be Elon's deepest position with Harris, Newsome and Shuman. Now that two games are in the history books, it looks like Newsome and Shuman are out for a while.

The defense needs to mature pretty quickly. It looks like the scondary is the weak link on the team.

longtimemocfan
September 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM

It is without question to me depth. In both games (ASU and JSU) defense got gassed. Defense was on the field a lot in both games the second half. Dropped a interception late in the game against JSU that would have sealed the game. Doesn't help that we already were down a starting corner against JSU and now will additionally be without a starting saftey for the upcoming EKU game. Just have to find a way to suck it up and just win !!

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Many Furman fans are not fond of two quarterback systems. However, if we are going to put up 536 yards of offense, I don't care if they are wearing leotards out there. 377 of those yards came on the ground. That's 2004 GSU-type rushing numbers. I get the sense that Furman isn't going to bother much with a downfield passing game with either QB. It's well documented the type runner Focier is, but Worley isn't a slouch running the football either.

I do agree that time will tell with GSU. They showed an ability to stop the run, but have yet to play a team that can spread you out and beat you different ways. That defense is a pretty solid unit, though. If the offense comes around they can be tough in conference play.

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Judging from the first two games, the offense seems to be fine. There seems to be a bit of an injury problem at the RB positions. The backfield was supposed to be Elon's deepest position with Harris, Newsome and Shuman. Now that two games are in the history books, it looks like Newsome and Shuman are out for a while.

The defense needs to mature pretty quickly. It looks like the scondary is the weak link on the team.

Don't worry. The SoCon gave up playing defense about 3 years ago. You're right there along with everyone else.

SpeedkingATL
September 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM
SoCon still looks like a crap shoot at this point except for the horrible start by WCU. In the second half of their games this year ASU has looked like he best team in the country, in the first half this year they have been pedestrian at best. Furman had a very good win at home over a good team which is a good start. Elon looks like a lot of good SCon teams over the last few years (2009 ASU) with a very good offense and a very suspect defense. GaSo looks ahead of schedule and their defensive performance against Navy would but them light years ahead of last years awful D, yet Navy plays an offense that GaSo knows as well as anyone so let's see them against a spread offense with lots of speed before calling them a good unit. Wofford and Samford have been just okay as has Citadel. UTC has played a demanding early schedule and is winless despite being competitive. I had thought the SoCon would be much improved and closer to the strength of the CAA this year but it certainly doesn't look that way thus far. App, Furman and Elon may end up at or near the top of FCS this year but I haven't seen it yet. If App plays an entire game like the second halves in the first two then we may have something but you won't beat elite teams playing from behind all the time with receivers constantly getting behind the defensive secondary and a defense that bites on every play fake and play action misdirection.

Woof
September 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
As for my Terriers, those of you who think the jury is still out or that we belong in the mid to upper part of the conference are much more optimistic than I am at the moment. We are playing like the guy in the Snickers' commercial who first appears as Betty White. We are still young, have no depth, no passing game to speak of, still don't know how to tackle or defend the pass and not nearly as effective as we used to be on offense....that spells "T-R-O-U-B-L-E" when the conference schedule begins.

Right now, I would rate the conference as follows:

Contenders:
ASU/Furples (this one hurts me to type)
GSU/Elon/Chat

Pretenders:
Sammy
Wofford
Cit/WCU

Humble pie leaves a bad aftertaste!

PaladinNation
September 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I've got a feeling the UTC/APP is going to be an indicator of an exciting SoCon season.

I can only speak for Furman but I would have to go back to way back… maybe Napier's junior year - in remembering Furman playing up to their potential in the first game… and also seeing BL not take the foot of the gas. It was up to Colgate to stop Furman during the last five minutes playing a 3rd string QB, and they couldn't do it.

I hope Furman continues to play Forcier and Worley… I would liken it to when UNC played two point guards. Forcier is up tempo and everyone is on edge Furman and the opponent, Worley is like Napier, tough, gritty, big arm, Furman's had some pretty good luck with QB's from GA.

It's going to be a long season and as our Wofford brothers know, injuries can ruin your hopes and dreams. Here's to all the SoCon schools being as injury free as possible.

SU DOG
September 13th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Samford is still somewhat of a mystery to even Samford Fans. We will find out next week when we play the Mountaineers at Samford. A couple of things I can state as facts: Our defense is one of the best in the SoCon, and we have really good depth there also. I wouldn't read too much into the FSU score as there were many times when we gave them easy chances. The offense IS improved from last year, and I mean drastically, but is it enough? I just don't know. We ARE BETTER than last year without a doubt. What that means as far as what our record will be this year, is anybody's guess. We are cautiously optimistic, and anyone penciling in an automatic "W" on their schedule might be forewarned to take these Dogs seriously.

elonpuckhog
September 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM

1) Appalachian St. - At 2-0, they are the top dog until someone proves otherwise.
3) Chattanooga - I wouldn't want to play them, they're like ASU of last year with two close losses.

I don't have a problem with you putting Elon fourth. I do have a problem with the reasoning you gave. Weak SOS? Could you not come up with a better reason? We've played Duke, who last I checked is an FBS team, and we were within a TD in the fourth quarter. Of the ACC - SoCon games last Saturday, we were probably the best team playing one of the worst in the ACC, but they still play in the ACC, and they had a shootout with Wake this weekend. Granted, Shaw is DII, and that is a weak opponent. Remind me again who ASU has played? Any of them FBS teams? (and don't tell me you're playing Florida at the end of the season. You haven't played them yet).

james_lawfirm
September 13th, 2010, 09:04 PM
another question I pose is.... is App really on top?
What you have is an App come form behind and beating of a bad team.

Chatty is a bad team? OK, think of them like that if you wish. I don't think you will have that viewpoint once Elon plays them.

What I saw was a good team, well prepared to play App. Their biggest problem was conditioning. (Recent NCAA sanctions allowed the Mocs no Friday practices.) However, as the season goes on, they'll get better. There was nothing wrong with their skill players or their coaches. They played App close for 2+ quarters.

Can Elon play App close for more than a quarter? We'll see. If you're counting on the post-Armanti era being a step down, good luck with that. If anything, this team is stacked & may even be better than the 2006 team. But, like I said, we'll see.

james_lawfirm
September 13th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Samford is still somewhat of a mystery to even Samford Fans. We will find out next week when we play the Mountaineers at Samford.

Looking forward to my first trip to Samford on the 25th. My wife & 2 sons are coming with me to the game. Good luck to the Bulldogs!

seantaylor
September 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Samford is still somewhat of a mystery to even Samford Fans. We will find out next week when we play the Mountaineers at Samford. A couple of things I can state as facts: Our defense is one of the best in the SoCon, and we have really good depth there also. I wouldn't read too much into the FSU score as there were many times when we gave them easy chances. The offense IS improved from last year, and I mean drastically, but is it enough? I just don't know. We ARE BETTER than last year without a doubt. What that means as far as what our record will be this year, is anybody's guess. We are cautiously optimistic, and anyone penciling in an automatic "W" on their schedule might be forewarned to take these Dogs seriously.

Not sure I agree about your defense. Getting torched by a mediocre Florida State team doesn't inspire greatness.

T-Dog
September 13th, 2010, 11:46 PM
They played App close for 2+ quarters.

Considering UTC has a 2PC for the win with 30 seconds left, I call BS on that one.

The scary thing about App is that even though they have struggled in the first half and half of the third quarter in their first two game,s they still have 1,100 yards or total offense so far this season. If the secondary shores up, then App will be downright unbeatable.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Considering UTC has a 2PC for the win with 30 seconds left, I call BS on that one.

The scary thing about App is that even though they have struggled in the first half and half of the third quarter in their first two game,s they still have 1,100 yards or total offense so far this season. If the secondary shores up, then App will be downright unbeatable.

And if my aunt had a package she'd be my uncle.

AppAlum2003
September 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I'm not saying it WON'T be this season, but I love reading these posts by all SoCon fans at the beginning of each season about how "The SoCon should be wide open this year". I still think there are 2 or 3 top teams and then everybody else.

Besides, what are we all fighting about anyway. Everyone knows that it doesn't matter who wins the SoCon - the CAA will dominate anyway, right? xsmiley_wix

elon77
September 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Wouldn't that make her a she uncle or shuncle?

OL FU
September 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Still way to early to be certain on anything but I would probably list it similarly to my preseason picks except that Chatt and GSU move up and Wofford moves down. WCU moves down to the bottom.

1. ASU - No Change
2. Elon - no reason to think they aren't number 2 until they give us a reason to think that.
3. FU - No Change
4. Chatt -
5. GSU
6. Samford
7. WC
8. Citadel
9. WCU.

Like I said, all conjecture. No real strong opinions on anybody now except that Charleston and Cullowhee are on the bottom.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I'm not saying it WON'T be this season, but I love reading these posts by all SoCon fans at the beginning of each season about how "The SoCon should be wide open this year". I still think there are 2 or 3 top teams and then everybody else.

Besides, what are we all fighting about anyway. Everyone knows that it doesn't matter who wins the SoCon - the CAA will dominate anyway, right? xsmiley_wix

That's probably true. I don't think any team will make it through the conference slate unbeaten, though.

Mntneer
September 14th, 2010, 10:30 AM

So you're betting against App's defense getting it together?

james_lawfirm
September 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Call BS all you want. What I saw was a UTC that got their head handed to them from about the middle of the third qtr. on. App was down 7 - 28 at that time. We scored 4 TDs in about 7 minutes. Their players were worn slam out.

Then, UTC put a final drive together to pull within 1. Coach Huesman went for 2, BECAUSE HE DID NOT THINK THEY COULD LAST THROUGH THE OT.

I stand behind my earlier statement; UTC hung with App for about 2.5 qtrs. Then, App woke up. Even after 4 qtrs., App looked like we could go another couple of quarters.

BTW, there were 51 seconds left at the 2 pt. try.

Jiggs
September 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Looking forward to my first trip to Samford on the 25th. My wife & 2 sons are coming with me to the game. Good luck to the Bulldogs!

Welcome to Samford! We are looking forward to hosting the Mountaineers.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM
So you're betting against App's defense getting it together?

Jury's out. I don't think "good" defense get lit up regardless of who they are playing in the FCS (even if it is a rejuvinated UTC squad). I think App's defense will be servicable insofar as it will not lose games for the offense. They are not a shutdown unit by any stretch of the imagination.

So no, I don't think App's secondary is going to vastly improve over the course of the season. I also don't think if App's secondary improves they are going to be unbeatable. They are good. Far from unbeatable.

Skjellyfetti
September 14th, 2010, 01:05 PM
So no, I don't think App's secondary is going to vastly improve over the course of the season.

They did last year

Blueandwhitefightfight
September 14th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Right now it's too early to tell.

App.'s D is looking extremely suspect. And while the offense is good, we don't know how good they are yet. They have only played Chatty and Jacksonville. I don't think Chatty or Jacksonville are the defensive measuring sticks for how good someone's offense are. I only say that against Chatty because they gave up 28 points in the 4th quarter. It seems like ASU's conditioning is better than everyone else's at this point but did they hang 28 in the 4th because they had more stamina and Chatty was out of gas or because they really are that explosive? We will have to wait and see. ASU is playing another no-namer this week and then has Samford and then Elon. I don't think we will really have a good idea how dangerous ASU is until after the Elon game.

Furman is supposedly "really good" this year. But we hear that every year. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. It's wait and see with them as well.

Elon scares me on offense. I think they have a legit shot to win the SoCon just because I'm not sure anyone, even GSU, can stop their QB.

Wofford is on the downslide this year.

Samford not sure about yet.

Citadel isn't worrying me. They changed offenses and need some time to rebuild.

Western is, as usual, horrible. No surpise there at all.

Chatty looks legit. I don't think they are going to challenge for a #1 spot, but they are going to make it a pain in the butt for the other teams in the conference to do so. If they can prevent their defense from melting down at bad times, they might end in the top 4.

Now, on to the real question: Just how good is GSU? I've watched the first two games and we know a few things about this team. Defense is the best in the conference, likely the best in all of the FCS. I watched the Navy vs Maryland game and the Navy vs GSU game. GSU's front 4 is hands down better than Navy's or Maryland's. Brent Russell will end up as a first team DT All American. Tinsley is a beast to compliment him at DE. Navy got nothing up the middle all day long. Nothing. Zip. We were going after Dobbs (their Heisman watch QB) in the backfield all game long. They had to beat us on the perimeter to get anything. We held Navy to less than 200 yards, they usually average around 500. They had 412 yards rushing against Maryland and 109 against us. Our secondary is nasty. Our linebackers are fast and actually can tackle (for the first time in about 4 years thank goodness!). This defense reminds me of the 2007 App. State defense but better on D-line.

On offense, we are thankful to have Jaybo Shaw. He is a veteran and learned very well under Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. Shaw is one hell of a field marshall. Makes smart reads, is tough, HAS A BETTER ARM THAN ANY OF THE QB'S FROM THE LAST 4 YEARS OF PASSING!, and knows the option. Our o-line is suspect as we learned against Navy. WR's are making awesome blocks but can't catch the ball half of the time (against Navy, they did fine against SSU). Robert Brown is our true freshman fullback. He is the first RB to rush for 100 yards in his debut since Adrian Peterson. He didn't get the job done against Navy though, partially due to the o-line struggling against Navy's d-line. If Shaw gets hurt we have 2 stellar freshman QB's to back him up. McKinnen is one of the best athletes in the conference, but he is still a freshman and doesn't have as good as an understanding of the offense as Jaybo does. If our offense can iron out the kinks, we will be a top 3 team. We will know more after the Coastal game this weekend.

Right now this is my take:

1- App. State
2- Elon
3- Georgia Southern
4- UTC
5- Furman
6- Samford
7- Wofford
8- Citadel
9- Western

But I will say this. It's going to be close. This is the most even I have seen the SoCon since I came to GSU in 2005. The keys to winning the conference this year are: stopping ASU, Chatty, and Elon on offense and figuring out how to score against GSU. The team that can do that the best and doesn't make stupid mistakes wins. This is going to be a great year to watch the SoCon.

PaladinFan
September 14th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Wait and see on GSU. Saying that the Eagles are the best defense in the SoCon might be true, though the SoCon, as a conference, gave up playing defense three or four years ago. Not a lot of competition. I think that saying GSU is unequivocally the best defense in the FCS is a stretch. The sample size is pretty tiny, remember.

I'm glad Eagle fans are excited about this year's team. We can all have this conversation again somewhere between the time when Georgia Southern plays a team that can actually throw a football and when they engrave their names on the 2010 national championship trophy.

OL FU
September 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Truth is like most early season talk, no one effin' knows. With the possible exception of WCU and even they could turn it around. One or two games generally against lower echelon opponents or FBS schools is no measurement. Will be interesting to see what people think after week 4.

Smitty
September 15th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Well the worst part is we don't even know what is going to happen. We lost our QB (Jaynes) and our RB(Wilson) and we have got one of our better receivers back. It honestly is a waiting game, just don't hold your breath...

gophoenix
September 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Chatty is a bad team? OK, think of them like that if you wish. I don't think you will have that viewpoint once Elon plays them.

What I saw was a good team, well prepared to play App. Their biggest problem was conditioning. (Recent NCAA sanctions allowed the Mocs no Friday practices.) However, as the season goes on, they'll get better. There was nothing wrong with their skill players or their coaches. They played App close for 2+ quarters.

Can Elon play App close for more than a quarter? We'll see. If you're counting on the post-Armanti era being a step down, good luck with that. If anything, this team is stacked & may even be better than the 2006 team. But, like I said, we'll see.

No no, I am not betting on anything. I am saying, the same logic for putting some teams lower is ignored for App. Nothing about how good App or Elon or any team is.

It was more this weak SoS argument, Duke > UTC, Shaw > Jacksonville (at least to the consolidated computer rankings to this point of the season).

All this power rating talk is pretty silly at this point. None of us really have an accurate measuring stick for anything right now.

ElonAlum
September 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I think its funny as hell how some people throw Elon under the bus just because your team ALMOST won a couple of games. Elon wasnt supposed to beat Duke but played them well. We were supposed to crush Shaw which we did.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss people

App St is 1
Elon is 2
Let the rest figure it out

gophoenix
September 15th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I think its funny as hell how some people throw Elon under the bus just because your team ALMOST won a couple of games. Elon wasnt supposed to beat Duke but played them well. We were supposed to crush Shaw which we did.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss people

App St is 1
Elon is 2
Let the rest figure it out

No, right now, just like many years, there is no clear anything after now. Everyone has done basically what everyone was expected to do.

Skjellyfetti
September 15th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Elon, Riddle, and Lembo need to show they can win a big game with the pressure on them. This weekend is a big test.

boonedocks
September 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM
...though the SoCon, as a conference, gave up playing defense three or four years ago.

Haha, this is so true. Not very many defensive struggles recently.

GaSouthern
September 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM
1. ASU - No Change
2. Elon - no reason to think they aren't number 2 until they give us a reason to think that.
3. FU - No Change
4. Chatt -
5. GSU
6. Samford
7. WC
8. Citadel
9. WCU.

Like I said, all conjecture. No real strong opinions on anybody now except that Charleston and Cullowhee are on the bottom.

Based on what we know I think this is dead on.

PhoenixPhan06
September 15th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Spot on at this point in the season

Mntneer
September 15th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Elon, Riddle, and Lembo need to show they can win a big game with the pressure on them. This weekend is a big test.

My sentiments exactly. Despite being OOC, this has got to be a big game for Elon. I picked them, despite their poor track record in big games. Still, on the thread about that game, some Elon fans are picking Richmond. If Elon loses, the rest of their season is going nowhere IMO.

Saint3333
September 15th, 2010, 04:53 PM

I agree Lembo has a reputation for losing the bigger games (both at Lehigh and Elon thus far). This is a game Elon should win, I'd compare it to the 2008 Liberty game. Elon will have more talent than UR (at least more experienced talent).

AndrewFU21
September 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM
ASU - we all seem to be expecting a let down after Edwards, but we also thought that after Richie Williams graduated so xconfusedx. I watched a little of their game against UTC on replay, and this Presley kid looks very good. Their offense will be tough to stop again, but it's tough to say much after two games

Elon - saw them in person against Duke. Scott Riddle was outstanding in that game. He was getting hit on probably 75% of the pass plays, and yet he kept getting back up and making excellent throws. It's tough to say all that much about the game otherwise, since they were playing a Duke offense that is going to score a lot of points this season and a Duke defense that isn't going to stop anybody

Furman - saw them in person against Colgate. I must say, we looked impressive in our first game. Colgate was a pretty underwhelming opponent, but we physically dominated them all day. We controlled the game offensively, and save for a couple of fumbles it really felt like we could score any time we got the ball. Defensively, we did a good job of keying in on the run, but I am worried about the young defensive line. FU faces a big test in Columbia this weekend, but we'll find out more after the conference opener against the bellhops. I think that FU will score a fair number of points this year, but the defense needs to be miles better than last year for a playoff trip to be in order.

Chattanooga - could be 2-0 but are 0-2. This team seems to be the wild card of the conference this year. Last year after FU blew them out in Chatty, I was surprised to seem them ending up with 6 wins. It does seem like they have a good coach in place, finally, and they have a solid QB in there. Could be the spoiler team that knocks somebody out of playoff contention(ala FU in 2007).

Wofford - with everybody back and coming off an extremely lucky year I bought into the hype that they would be much better this year. The first two games don't inspire too much confidence, however

GSU - hard to say much at this point. You figure there will be growing pains for the first couple of years in the new(old) offense, but having Shaw helps.

Samford - not much to say about these guys, either. I figure they'll hover around .500 like usual.

Citadel - another team moving into a new offense. Haven't shown much through two games

WCU - how on earth did they give up so many points to Tusculum? Looks like it might be a long year

ElonPride
September 15th, 2010, 05:59 PM
AndrewFU21,

Congrats on getting into Elon Law!!!

You remind me of one of my good friends from college (except opposite circumstances). He graduated from Elon & went to grad school at Furman. His moto is, "when Elon & Furman play, I never lose!" Good luck at Elon law in downtown G'boro there man!

AndrewFU21
September 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM
He must be a teacher or a chemist, because I believe those are the only masters programs FU offers.

Thanks. I must say, however, that I have but one FCS allegiance. I was actually cheering for Duke against Elon, since I grew up in a Duke family.

ElonPride
September 15th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks. I must say, however, that I have but one FCS allegiance. I was actually cheering for Duke against Elon, since I grew up in a Duke family.

Then my friend, you do not deserve to put the name of the Oak in your signature, nor use it in any capacity hence forth! xsmiley_wix

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM
He must be a teacher or a chemist, because I believe those are the only masters programs FU offers.

Any chance I can still dissaude you from attending law school? :)

Eaglesrus
September 16th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Wait and see on GSU. Saying that the Eagles are the best defense in the SoCon might be true, though the SoCon, as a conference, gave up playing defense three or four years ago. Not a lot of competition. I think that saying GSU is unequivocally the best defense in the FCS is a stretch. The sample size is pretty tiny, remember.

I'm glad Eagle fans are excited about this year's team. We can all have this conversation again somewhere between the time when Georgia Southern plays a team that can actually throw a football and when they engrave their names on the 2010 national championship trophy.

Of course you are correct and we don't know if our D is the best in the conference at this point. Many of us felt that the talent was there last year, but the guys were young and weren't utilized properly. Early indications are that going back to a four man front, shuffling some personnel and getting more speed on the field is really paying off, but I think that it will take the next two games, especially Elon, before we know for sure just how good our D is. I'm very optimistic, however.

gophoenix
September 16th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Irony.

It took Jerry Moore 5 years to win a playoff game; and that was after taking over at a school that had a good program.

Lembo took a terrible team and in five years brought to where it is.

A big game is every weekend. A big game is playing a beating ranked opponents (which we did in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2007, 2008, 2009). Maybe not your definition of big game; but oh well, App now is different than the App of 5 years ago and "big" now isn't what it was.

Saint3333
September 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM
App 5 years ago was a top 10 FCS program, let's not portray this program as anything other than that prior to 2005. Expectations are different but ASU football has been pretty good since 1985.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2010, 12:12 PM
App 5 years ago was a top 10 FCS program, let's not portray this program as anything other than that prior to 2005. Expectations are different but ASU football has been pretty good since 1985.

You mean, back when Furman used to win games against App? :)

Joking aside, Elon has made great strides. The 2002 team (I think that was their first year in the SoCon) that came into Paladin Stadium was the worst football team I have ever seen Furman play. The talent gap was huge. Things are far different now. Elon's got good facilities, a good team, good talent, and a good coach. A lot of that has to be attributed to Lembo.

AndrewFU21
September 16th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Any chance I can still dissaude you from attending law school? :)

Not likely, given that I'm almost halfway through alreadyxsmiley_wix

I don't support Elon athletics since I think grad school is a different affiliation entirely. I mean, we aren't even in the same city as Elon's undergrad school anyway. Plus, is it even really possible to root for two teams in the same conference?

OL FU
September 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Plus, is it even really possible to root for two teams in the same conference?

Not just no................................................ .

PhoenixPhan06
September 16th, 2010, 02:23 PM

I don't support Elon athletics since I think grad school is a different affiliation entirely. I mean, we aren't even in the same city as Elon's undergrad school anyway. Plus, is it even really possible to root for two teams in the same conference?

How bout a compromise? Once basketball season starts up, you make it to either "home" games being played at the Coliseum (Elon vs NC State, Elon vs Wake). Not too far of a drive from downtown.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2010, 04:29 PM

I had virtually no allegiance to my law school's sports teams. Attended one basketball game in three years. Though they did play Furman night before my final in Contracts. I didn't go...but I thought about it for half a second.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 16th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Too early to put us in the top 3 but I do think we are better than Samford and Wofford.

And my hopes are up for this defense, and we'll find out what they are made up of against Coastal and Elon.

AndrewFU21
September 16th, 2010, 07:32 PM
The good thing is that UNC-G and Elon are so close that I can go to games when FU is in town. Hopefully our basketball team will be a little more worth watching this year.

Back on topic: Newbery up 14-0 on Samford! xeyebrowx

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 16th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Check that, Newberry 21, Samford 7 12:03 2nd. This does not look good for Samford.

PaladinFan
September 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM
I think they'll pull it off. Samford likes to charge late.

longtimemocfan
September 17th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I think they'll pull it off. Samford likes to charge late.

Late charge it was. Samford pulls it off 38-35.

Woof
September 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Wow, struggling to beat NAIA Newberry? That will move Sammy down in the power rankings I would suppose.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Late charge it was. Samford pulls it off 38-35.

Samford's done that to us twice. If they'd play four quarters, they'd be a tough team to beat.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Newberry is in the SAC, which is the same league as Tusculum College. Samford fans were blessed to see their team pull it off. They play like this in the future and they will end up in the doghouse.

asknoquarter21
September 17th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I still keep Samford above el cid and wcu

Dinman31
September 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't write off Samford yet. I remember Furman losing to Newberry in 1985 then going on to the national championship game. In 1999 Furman lost to then D2 Elon and went on to beat UNC and win the SoCon.

ElonPride
September 17th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't write off Samford yet. I remember Furman losing to Newberry in 1985 then going on to the national championship game. In 1999 Furman lost to then D2 Elon and went on to beat UNC and win the SoCon.

Elon was a I-AA Indy in '99.....

james_lawfirm
September 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Irony.

It took Jerry Moore 5 years to win a playoff game; and that was after taking over at a school that had a good program.

Lembo took a terrible team and in five years brought to where it is.

So, are you saying Lembo > Moore? If so, I disagree with your facts and your conclusion.

Jerry Moore took over from Sparky Woods 21 yrs. ago. Sparky went to S.Car. & somehow managed to take a number of the better App. players (including the QB) with him. Sure, App's football program already had a great history by that time. But, what Jerry Moore took over was someone else's leftover mess. When Coach Moore was first contacted about coaching at App, he said he did not know where App was, could not pronounce it, could not even spell it. But he accepted.

And, even if somehow Elon has seen quicker success under Lembo, which I do not believe they have, Coach Moore is STILL a better coach.

ElonPride
September 17th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Sure, App's football program already had a great history by that time. But, what Jerry Moore took over was someone else's leftover mess.

Um, did you look at how far Elon's football program had fallen since the great days of conference champs upon conference champs & back to back national titles? Seagraves and Hamilton left a mess of a program that was "supposed" to be a D-I program. Lembo has taken this program from nearly the worst years in its history to the top 10, conference contender and the playoffs.....in less than half a decade! Am I saying he and moore are equals? Nope. But when you have a coach that can do the things we see at Elon, Wofford, Richmond, or any tiny school with a TOTAL living alumni base less than double that of your current enrollment......now that's a feat.

Horseshoe App
September 17th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Um, did you look at how far Elon's football program had fallen since the great days of conference champs upon conference champs & back to back national titles? Seagraves and Hamilton left a mess of a program that was "supposed" to be a D-I program. Lembo has taken this program from nearly the worst years in its history to the top 10, conference contender and the playoffs.....in less than half a decade! Am I saying he and moore are equals? Nope. But when you have a coach that can do the things we see at Elon, Wofford, Richmond, or any tiny school with a TOTAL living alumni base less than double that of your current enrollment......now that's a feat.

Why don't we just face it. There is a pissing match between Elon and Appalachian. Elon feels no one gives them respect. We, as Appalachian folks, feel everyone is trying to say they are better than us. I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The truth being said, Elon has done a very good job of improving there program. I also think Appalachian has done a very good job of building and maintaining a very solid program.
Both of these programs are the best the Southern Conference has to offer at this point(sorry Furman and Georgia Southern). At this point, lets let the facts tell the story. Appalachian is the best program. Elon is nipping at our heels. I have the utmost respect for both teams. Until Elon beats us, they still are second fiddle. Personally, I hope you enjoy the view and stay there. Coach Lembo and Coach Moore are excellent coaches, but the resume does not lie. Coach Moore is more accomplished and at this point a better coach. Not to say that Lembo will not pass him some day, but Coach Moore has a resume that Coach Lembo could only dream of having. Anyway, we can debate this all day long.
By the way, Elon sucks:)

ElonPride
September 17th, 2010, 10:42 PM
but the resume does not lie. Coach Moore is more accomplished and at this point a better coach.

Moore is like 137 years old! I would hope he's more accomplished! When Lembo took the helm at Elon he was the second youngest head coach in all of D-I!

gophoenix
September 17th, 2010, 11:26 PM
So, are you saying Lembo > Moore? If so, I disagree with your facts and your conclusion.

Jerry Moore took over from Sparky Woods 21 yrs. ago. Sparky went to S.Car. & somehow managed to take a number of the better App. players (including the QB) with him. Sure, App's football program already had a great history by that time. But, what Jerry Moore took over was someone else's leftover mess. When Coach Moore was first contacted about coaching at App, he said he did not know where App was, could not pronounce it, could not even spell it. But he accepted.

And, even if somehow Elon has seen quicker success under Lembo, which I do not believe they have, Coach Moore is STILL a better coach.

No, I am not saying Lembo > Moore. I am simply addressing to a few fans that say we've done nothing or can't win the big game in Lembo's four years is simply, well, no better than Moore did at App during that same time frame. Moore has a better resume at App than Lembo has period. But, Lembo has also pulled Elon up from the cellar of FCS to the top 20; where Moore took a school already playing in the top 20 to the top over a 20 year span. Lembo did more over his first 4 years comparitively than Moore did in his first four years. They are different situation completely. But again, it's not the few Elon fans here slinging the mud at every chance.

Horseshoe App
September 18th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Moore is like 137 years old! I would hope he's more accomplished! When Lembo took the helm at Elon he was the second youngest head coach in all of D-I!

Well, as I said, it is a pissing match between both schools. Well, Coach Moore may be old, but I bet he would beat Lembo in a arm wrestling match!!!

Skjellyfetti
September 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM
No, I am not saying Lembo > Moore. I am simply addressing to a few fans that say we've done nothing or can't win the big game in Lembo's four years is simply, well, no better than Moore did at App during that same time frame.

Lembo did more over his first 4 years comparitively than Moore did in his first four years.

Jerry won a Southern Conference title his third year at App. So, no...

Lembo has a reputation that even predates his tenure at Elon for choking in big games. It's the truth.

What is the biggest game that Lembo has won at Elon? xcoffeex