DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
First win in Pl in two seasons.

hawkineer
September 11th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Congratulations to the Hoyas!xhurrayxxhurrayx

DerHoya
September 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
HOLY COW!!!! GO HOYAS! What a battle. Out offensed 2-1 but came up with some key INTs when it mattered.

Bring on the Elis!!

Top of the PL!

Fordham
September 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Congrats Hoyas!

c15683
September 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM
WOOO HOOOOO!

Go G-Men....woop those Pards!

Nice to see you off to a good start.....and humble the kittens.

LU'78

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Laf had four trips into the Red Zone in the second half:

1. Interception in the end zone
2. Missed FG
3. Coughed the ball up at the the 18
4. Interception at the three

Laf outgained GU 509-265. GU outscored Laf 28-24.

Pards Rule
September 11th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Congrats Hoyas..They did what they needed to do when they had to - we didnt. So the stats are irrelevant. GU 28 LC 24 Final. Anyone know when last time GU beat the Pards?

DerHoya
September 11th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Congrats Hoyas..They did what they needed to do when they had to - we didnt. So the stats are irrelevant. GU 28 LC 24 Final. Anyone know when last time GU beat the Pards?

2003 IRCC, 17 -14

Go...gate
September 11th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Congratulations to Georgetown. I watched the game and your QB is very good.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
xbowxxbowxxbowx

The Hoyas deserved that one. Beautiful evening, nice crowd, great atmosphere especially if you were a Hoya fan. Note to the rest of the PL - play a hurry up offense and spread out our secondary. You'll win.

Pard4Life
September 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
xbowxxbowxxbowx

The Hoyas deserved that one. Beautiful evening, nice crowd, great atmosphere especially if you were a Hoya fan. Note to the rest of the PL - play a hurry up offense and spread out our secondary. You'll win.

Oh come on bogus, they've known that for awhile... Skelton, Randolph etc.

As for humbled kittens, how'd that Nova upset go?

c15683
September 11th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Most of the LU fan base never thought they would win....LFC on the other hand did a bit more than suggest a win.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Congrats Hoya's.

No offense but this was a terrible loss for the Pards at home. I am not knee jerk reaction kind of guy, but Lafayette at the other "top" PL teams layed the biggest collective egg I have ever seen this weekend.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Most of the LU fan base never thought they would win....LFC on the other hand did a bit more than suggest a win.

I agree. I tried to bring some reality to the situation but some wouldn't listen. Lehigh never had a chance to win this game.

I did believe it would be 10-17 pt game with Lehigh hanging in there.

I never saw Lafayette losing to Georgetown. That's beyond surprising.

Sader87
September 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I have to laugh though...seriously, what is so shocking? We decide to form a league without scholarships and expect to be competitive??? The whole thing is a bad dream/joke.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
I have to laugh though...seriously, what is so shocking? We decide to form a league without scholarships and expect to be competitive??? The whole thing is a bad dream/joke.

How in the world did Lehigh do it from '98-'04ish '05ish? And it wasn't just Higgins. He hasn't figured out El Cid.

Colgate had their run in '03 but have been murdered in every other step up game besides UMass in '05.

Lafayette has been pretty good in recent years. At least they've been competitive. They just struggle against the Ivies.

WildPard
September 11th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Everyone in the PL had a laugh when GU beat Davidson in a good game--it was so cute for them to finally get a win! Surely, they would come back to earth this week when facing a mighty PL regular. Saw many "this isn't Davidson" remarks. GU wasn't too bad--we're they?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Everyone in the PL had a laugh when GU beat Davidson in a good game--it was so cute for them to finally get a win! Surely, they would come back to earth this week when facing a mighty PL regular. Saw many "this isn't Davidson" remarks. GU wasn't too bad--we're they?

Davidson lost 41-13 today to Lenoir-Rhyne. Let that one sink in for a moment........just wow huh?

Sader87
September 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM
And Holy Cross dominated 1-AA football in the 1980's when they had scholarships...it's not rocket science.

WildPard
September 12th, 2010, 12:11 AM
You're correct, Davidson's loss today is even more of a slap in the face to the PL. I'm not a frequent poster, but I do read the board frequently. I always get a kick out of many posters bashing the PFL. It may well be a step below the PL when looking at the leagues from top to bottom, but the step isn't that big. Teams in the PFL, especially Dayton, Jacksonville, Butler, and San Diego (maybe not this year) would compete for the the PL championship every year if they were members, but get no respect from PL regular posters.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2010, 12:41 AM
You're correct, Davidson's loss today is even more of a slap in the face to the PL. I'm not a frequent poster, but I do read the board frequently. I always get a kick out of many posters bashing the PFL. It may well be a step below the PL when looking at the leagues from top to bottom, but the step isn't that big. Teams in the PFL, especially Dayton, Jacksonville, Butler, and San Diego (maybe not this year) would compete for the the PL championship every year if they were members, but get no respect from PL regular posters.

I think DaytonFlyer figured out how to open up a new AGS account under a new email. C'man, DF. Admit it, it's you.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2010, 12:43 AM
I'm still stunned by this. A big congrats to the Hoyas, but I freely admit I am stunned, stunned, stunned.

Sader87
September 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM
The league, with a capital S, Sucks right now...its only salvation is going full scholarship.

WildPard
September 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM
LFN-- I promise I'm not Dayton Flyer--although I do get a kick out of some of his posts. I'm not as enamored with the strength of the PFL as him, but I do feel the competitive level is much closer than many of the PL faithful want to admit. By the way, I do enjoy your articles, but have been experiencing problems with your site. Used to be able to get to all of the other PL boards from your site--can't do it now-what has changed?

TheValleyRaider
September 12th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Congrats Hoyas. Not going to lie, I was surprised to see them win a League game against a team not named Bucknell, but they did it, and after two weeks, Georgetown owns the League's best record

Speaking of the Bison...yeesh

Bogus Megapardus
September 12th, 2010, 09:02 AM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/stillercity2/Smileys/facepalm4.gif http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/stillercity2/Smileys/facepalm4.gif http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/stillercity2/Smileys/facepalm4.gif

colorless raider
September 12th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Sader is correct. Without scholarships the Patriot League is irrelevent. 2003 was a long time ago and many AI points lower I might add.

CFBfan
September 12th, 2010, 09:15 AM
HOLY COW!!!! GO HOYAS! What a battle. Out offensed 2-1 but came up with some key INTs when it mattered.

Bring on the Elis!!

Top of the PL!
and let's not forget that after 2 defensive stops GTown fumbled inside their own 10....the first a nice D stop and the O fumbled on the 4 yard line and next after a nice D stop GTown fumbled the punt on their 8 yard line....14 points off of those 2 turnovers for LU.
The D played a bend but don't break game and I think will only get better from here

Fordham
September 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
You're correct, Davidson's loss today is even more of a slap in the face to the PL. I'm not a frequent poster, but I do read the board frequently. I always get a kick out of many posters bashing the PFL. It may well be a step below the PL when looking at the leagues from top to bottom, but the step isn't that big. Teams in the PFL, especially Dayton, Jacksonville, Butler, and San Diego (maybe not this year) would compete for the the PL championship every year if they were members, but get no respect from PL regular posters. I agree with your line about the PFL 100%. I actually think a good % of PL fans do as well but DF makes it hard to give the league a complement since it's never enough (imo) and most PFL conversations devolve from there.

Bogus Megapardus
September 12th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I agree with your line about the PFL 100%. I actually think a good % of PL fans do as well but DF makes it hard to give the league a complement since it's never enough (imo) and most PFL conversations devolve from there.

I learned about the AGS "block" feature for MplsBison. WildPard has been added to the list.

Ivytalk
September 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Great, opportunistic, Clintonesque (?) win for the Hoyas!xhurrayxxnodx

Bogus Megapardus
September 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM

No cigar.

Dane96
September 12th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Nicely done Hoyas. Now find some money....and make this a weekly thing.

Congrats DFW Hoya.

401ks
September 12th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Congratulations Georgetown! xhurrayx

I have a soft spot for both Georgetown and Lafayette from when my older son was being recruited by both schools. (I still wear my Lafayette and Georgetown t-shirts around the house on occasion.)

This "upset" brought to mind a quote from a Lafayette coach (who shall remain nameless) during my son's visit to Lafayette. Knowing that my son had come to Easton after a visit to Georgetown, he told my son: "We know that if anyone chooses Georgetown over Lafayette they weren't really serious about football and we don't want that kind of player anyway."

In your face Coach *****!

xlolx

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Congratulations Georgetown! xhurrayx

I have a soft spot for both Georgetown and Lafayette from when my older son was being recruited by both schools. (I still wear my Lafayette and Georgetown t-shirts around the house on occasion.)

This "upset" brought to mind a quote from a Lafayette coach (who shall remain nameless) during my son's visit to Lafayette. Knowing that my son had come to Easton after a visit to Georgetown, he told my son: "We know that if anyone chooses Georgetown over Lafayette they weren't really serious about football and we don't want that kind of player anyway."

In your face Coach *****!

xlolx

Look at the stat sheet. I have no idea how Lafayette lost this game, but we did. This is the worst loss for the Leopards in some time. Personally I havent felt this bad about a Lafayette football team since we lost to Colgate 56-0 in 1999 (it was 42-0 at the half).

Fordham
September 12th, 2010, 10:48 AM
No cigar. ha!

CFBfan
September 12th, 2010, 12:03 PM
"Look at the stat sheet. I have no idea how Lafayette lost this game, but we did. This is the worst loss for the Leopards in some time. Personally I havent felt this bad about a Lafayette football team since we lost to Colgate 56-0 in 1999 (it was 42-0 at the half)".

Stats don't win football games
I think it bears repeating that Lafayette benefited from 2 GU fumbles inside the GU 10 in the 1st half after defensive stops that gave them 14 of their 24 first 1/2 points.
LU was shutout in the 2nd half
GU had more heart and wanted the game more (IMHO)

ngineer
September 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
"Look at the stat sheet. I have no idea how Lafayette lost this game, but we did. This is the worst loss for the Leopards in some time. Personally I havent felt this bad about a Lafayette football team since we lost to Colgate 56-0 in 1999 (it was 42-0 at the half)".

I think it bears repeating that Lafayette benefited from 2 GU fumbles inside the GU 10 in the 1st half after defensive stops that gave them 14 of their 24 first 1/2 points.
LC was shutout in the 2nd half
GU had more heart and wanted the game more (IMHO)

Fixed it for ya...even though, we too, were also shut out in the second half...and first half.xsmiley_wix

Never, ever confuse the two....xrulesx

superman7515
September 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM

So if stats don't win football games... and guns don't kill people, people kill people... Does this mean that toasters don't toast toast, toast toasts toast?

ngineer
September 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM

You mean they almost blew it?

or, they got their Rocks off?

xsmiley_wix

superman7515
September 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM

xsmiley_wix

I think he means that the stain of this loss will haunt Lafayette forever...

ngineer
September 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
How in the world did Lehigh do it from '98-'04ish '05ish? And it wasn't just Higgins. He hasn't figured out El Cid.

Colgate had their run in '03 but have been murdered in every other step up game besides UMass in '05.

Lafayette has been pretty good in recent years. At least they've been competitive. They just struggle against the Ivies.

No secret to this. Times have changed drastically in the past 10 years. While I think our overall skill level has improved, the other conferences, ie., CAA, SoCon, NEC, have upgraded much more and we haven't kept pace, and will continue to lose ground in the recruiting wars unless the Presidents change the league's philosophy.

ngineer
September 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I think he means that the stain of this loss will haunt Lafayette forever...

That's true...Georgetown does wear blue pants...

Pards Rule
September 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM

xsmiley_wix

I'm stil trying to figure it out...along with the toaster question. My head huirts!

401ks
September 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Look at the stat sheet.

Final Score: Georgetown 28, Lafayette 24

And your point is...?

I'm sure that Lafayette's uniforms look prettier too.

I'm a football coach and I've never heard any other coach say during the meeting after a loss, "To heck with the scoreboard, the stats say we won!" :p

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Final Score: Georgetown 28, Lafayette 24

And your point is...?

I'm sure that Lafayette's uniforms look prettier too.

I'm a football coach and I've never heard any other coach say during the meeting after a loss, "Too heck with the scoreboard, the stats say we won!" :p

I didnt say we "won because of the stat sheet". You are trying to start an arguement, and I dont really care to. All I was pointing out was that on paper Lafayette dominated the game, but we lost and that is all that counts. It was like 500 yards gained to 250 with a 40/20 time of possion. Lafayette had 31 first downs to the Hoya's 13. How do get 31 first downs and lose? Really strange numbers for a losing team.

Georgetown deserves credit for playing hard and getting the W, but we served this one up to them on a silver platter.

danefan
September 12th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Congrats to Georgetown. Maybe this is something that can help change the culture of losing in DC.

CFBfan
September 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I didnt say we "won because of the stat sheet". You are trying to start an arguement, and I dont really care to. All I was pointing out was that on paper Lafayette dominated the game, but we lost and that is all that counts. It was like 500 yards gained to 250 with a 40/20 time of possion. Lafayette had 31 first downs to the Hoya's 13. How do get 31 first downs and lose? Really strange numbers for a losing team.

Georgetown deserves credit for playing hard and getting the W, but we served this one up to them on a silver platter.

Frank i disagree, if anything GU served it up to you on a silver platter turning the ball over TWICE inside their OWN 10 yard line after defensive stops!

401ks
September 12th, 2010, 01:21 PM

Come on, Tanks! You know that I'm not trying to start an argument. You're the one who said, "Look at the stats". I truly wanted to know what your point was. xconfusedx I think very highly of Lafayette (jackass coach notwithstanding). I also think very highly of Georgetown. Georgetown obviously deserved this win, stats or no stats. For that I give them my heartiest congratulations!

Now, if you want to agree with that absurd statement by the Lafayette coach, then we have an argument! xnodx

xpeacex

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2010, 01:24 PM
We had plenty of turnovers and and blunders as well.

2 lost fumbles and 2 int.

Franks Tanks
September 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Come on, Tanks! You know that I'm not trying to start an argument. You're the one who said, "Look at the stats". I truly wanted to know what your point was. xconfusedx I think very highly of Lafayette (jackass coach notwithstanding). I also think very highly of Georgetown. Georgetown obviously deserved this win, stats or no stats. For that I give them my heartiest congratulations!

Now, if you want to agree with that absurd statement by the Lafayette coach, then we have an argument! xnodx

xpeacex

If it was Frank pay no attention. He talks constantly and says stupid crap all the time.

DetroitFlyer
September 12th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I kind of figured GT's win would start a firestorm here.... Heck, I'm still trying to recover from Dayton's complete lack of defense at Duquesne and a loss.... Any given season folks.... Any given game, anygivensaturday.... No team is as good or bad as any weekly result. Play the season and it will all become clear. Frankly, you just have to be happy for GT unless you are a Lafayette fan. Two weeks in I am not ready to panic and I'm not ready to call any team great or terrible.

Go...gate
September 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I just posted on the Week 2 Playoff Projections thread that Georgetown now should be designated the PL play-off participant, so the pressure is now off the rest of us......

Bogus Megapardus
September 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Enough of the sugar-coating drivel. We screwed the pooch on this one.

blukeys
September 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I got to watch the game this morning as it was on MASN. The Lafayette guys have a point. LC moved the ball most of the game. One never got the sense that they could not at some time put it together.

GU did in fact leave some points on the field as well. I was impressed by the resilency of the Hoyas.

LC gave up some turnovers in key situations.

I think the turning point was at the end of the second quarter when LC was up 21-7 and was driving for another score. At that point LC turned the ball over in the red zone and GU drove the distance to close the gap to 21-14. It could have just as easily been 28-7 at the half. It was tangible how pumped up the Hoyas were.

One of the things I saw was that LC used a dink and dunk passing attack that got 6 and 7 yard completions and helped with statistics but was less effective in attacking when the team hit the red zone where the defense has to defend less field.

GU on the other hand mixed up their passing attack and at times went deep which they did with a deep completion over the middle where the receiver split the defenders and ran the ball in for a TD. It was a pretty play.

I know that GU has been the one PL team that others could count on every year for a win but this group of Hoyas are scrappy enough and skilled enough to repeat this performance.

I really enjoyed watching this game as I was curious how this game was won. There is no doubt in my mind that this group of Hoyas believe in this coach and buy into what he is doing.

I think LC has some very good skill players with their wideouts and their QB is mobile. The TV commentators were comparing him to Maurer. He has a way to go to get to that level but he is going to be a good one eventually. Lafayette is quite capable of winning this conference. The Pieces of the Puzzle are there. On Saturday no one could figure out how to put the Pieces together.

ngineer
September 12th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I got to watch the game this morning as it was on MASN. The Lafayette guys have a point. LC moved the ball most of the game. One never got the sense that they could not at some time put it together.

GU did in fact leave some points on the field as well. I was impressed by the resilency of the Hoyas.

I think the turning point was at the end of the second quarter when LC was up 21-7 and was driving for another score. At that point LC turned the ball over in the red zone and GU drove the distance to close the gap to 21-14. It could have just as easily been 28-7 at the half. It was tangible how pumped up the Hoyas were.

One of the things I saw was that LC used a dink and dunk passing attack that got 6 and 7 yard completions and helped with statistics but was less effective in attacking when the team hit the red zone where the defense has to defend less field.

GU on the other hand mixed up their passing attack and at times went deep which they did with a deep completion over the middle where the receiver split the defenders and ran the ball in for a TD. It was a pretty play.

I know that GU has been the one PL team that others could count on every year for a win but this group of Hoyas are scrappy enough and skilled enough to repeat this performance.

I really enjoyed watching this game as I was curious how this game was won. There is no doubt in my mind that this group of Hoyas believe in this coach and buy into what he is doing.

I think LC has some very good skill players with their wideouts and their QB is mobile. The TV commentators were comparing him to Maurer. He has a way to go to get to that level but he is going to be a good one eventually. Lafayette is quite capable of winning this conference. The Pieces of the Puzzle are there. On Saturday no one could figure out how to put the Pieces together.

I think that is true for virtually all of the teams. Right now everyone is on the floor picking up the pieces after the cardtable just got knocked over!

aceinthehole
September 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
A win is a win even if it's ugly.

Congrats to Gtown, and the die-hard fans like DFW and LBPop!

Go...gate
September 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM
A win is a win even if it's ugly.

Congrats to Gtown, and the die-hard fans like DFW and LBPop!

Well said. This is their well-earned day and week to shout.

letsgopards04
September 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Couldn't watch the game but why was Quilling in at the end. Did something happen to O'Neil? Espn.com said that the late INT was thrown by Quilling.

Franks Tanks
September 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Couldn't watch the game but why was Quilling in at the end. Did something happen to O'Neil? Espn.com said that the late INT was thrown by Quilling.

O'Neil was injured. Early reports indicate that it was a minor injury but MRI's and further evaluation would be needed.

Big Al
September 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I, for one, am rooting for Georgetown to win the Patriot League and make some noise in the playoffs.

*looks for signs of pigs flying*

Lafalumni29
September 13th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Agreed. What Blukeys is saying is what Tavani has said for the past year or so.....our skill group is probably the most athletic group we've had as a whole, to date. That's one of the only positives I took from Saturday. Even out of all the mistakes on Saturday, our athleticism was CLEARLY evident.

Based on their combination of inexperience and athleticism, this could easily be a team that can beat an opponent it shouldn't, and that loses to 'inferior' teams .

CFBfan
September 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Agreed. What Blukeys is saying is what Tavani has said for the past year or so.....our skill group is probably the most athletic group we've had as a whole, to date. That's one of the only positives I took from Saturday. Even out of all the mistakes on Saturday, our athleticism was CLEARLY evident.

Based on their combination of inexperience and athleticism, this could easily be a team that can beat an opponent it shouldn't, and that loses to 'inferior' teams .

You are what your record says you are! I think some coached named Parcells said that once.....

carney2
September 13th, 2010, 10:08 AM
O'Neil was injured. Early reports indicate that it was a minor injury but MRI's and further evaluation would be needed.

Hyperextended knee. Will be on crutches until mid-week, but there is some remote chance he plays this week against Penn. Best guess is that he does not play against Penn and possibly Princeton the next week. Quilling will almost certainly get the start with Shoop in reserve.

CFBfan
September 13th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hyperextended knee. Will be on crutches until mid-week, but there is some remote chance he plays this week against Penn. Best guess is that he does not play against Penn and possibly Princeton the next week. Quilling will almost certainly get the start with Shoop in reserve.

Considering what it could have been that's very good news, hate to see ANY kid get hurt but this could have been a whole lot worse. Best of luck to him

Bogus Megapardus
September 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
You are what your record says you are! I think some coached named Parcells said that once.....

And the 2-0 Hoyas sit atop of the Patriot League. My hearty congratulations to Georgetown and its fans on its victory over a Lafayette team that probably is better than we are saying it is right now. In other words, the Hoyas legitimately beat what could turn out to be a reasonably good PL team and they ought to be feeling really good about that right now.

Now go beat Yale in the Bowl. It would be pretty nice to go from struggling also-ran to having the target on your back for once, wouldn't it? Imagine the AGS posts and LFN blogs full of "what we need to do to beat Georgetown." Not a bad feeling, huh? Can you imagine what that homecoming crowd will be like if the Hoyas return for Holy Cross undefeated?

And you all owe a debt of gratitude to DFW HOYA for keeping Georgetown in the conversation all this time.

CFBfan
September 13th, 2010, 10:30 AM
And the 2-0 Hoyas sit atop of the Patriot League. My hearty congratulations to Georgetown and its fans on its victory over a Lafayette team that probably is better than we are saying it is right now. In other words, the Hoyas legitimately beat what could turn out to be a reasonably good PL team and they ought to be feeling really good about that right now.

Now go beat Yale in the Bowl. It would be pretty nice to go from struggling also-ran to having the target on your back for once, wouldn't it? Imagine the AGS posts and LFN blogs full of "what we need to do to beat Georgetown." Not a bad feeling, huh? Can you imagine what that homecoming crowd will be like if the Hoyas return for Holy Cross undefeated?

And you all owe a debt of gratitude to DFW HOYA for keeping Georgetown in the conversation all this time.

Bogus I agree with everything you said here.
I would not want to go thru Pard practice this week! They are what I think will be a very good football team and hope and believe that you will even the record at 1 - 1 this week with Penn

Lehigh Football Nation
September 13th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Nice stuff. Wanted to add here: hands up - who thought that Holy Cross/Georgetown tilt on September 23rd was going to be one to circle on the calendar as a pretty huge game in the PL title race?