PDA

View Full Version : Is there an "App. State effect"?

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that before 2007 no IAA/FCS had ever beaten a ranked FBS team and in the relatively short period from 2007 to today we have had two of them. And I know that some will say last year wasn't really impressive but we did have quite a few frustrating close loses last year that did not go our way, including App. State going down to the wire with the best CUSA team without Armanti Edwards and UNI coming within a kickable field goal of beating Iowa last year (a heck of a lot closer to beating a ranked FBS/IA team than anyone probably ever came before 2007). Not only that, but just look at the wins we have so far this year...an OVC downing an SEC, a Big South taking down a MAC, and wins over a Big XII to boot.

IMO, September 1st, 2007 really changed things for FCS recruiting and a lot of those recruits are now just starting to make an impact. The gap is closing. What do you think?

wkelly42
September 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Before App State/Michigan, FCS schools felt like all they were there for was the paycheck and some national exposure. After App won, FCS teams started thinking, "Hey -- we could win this thing!" A lot of winning those games is having confidence in your program.

Syntax Error
September 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that before 2007 no IAA/FCS had ever beaten a ranked FBS team and in the relatively short period from 2007 to today we have had two of them.

You mean A SECOND ONE. It has only happened twice.

superman7515
September 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Before App State/Michigan, FCS schools felt like all they were there for was the paycheck and some national exposure. After App won, FCS teams started thinking, "Hey -- we could win this thing!" A lot of winning those games is having confidence in your program.

I know that DelState went to Michigan and forfeited a conference game because they thought they could win and it had absolutely nothing to do with money.... Maybe not.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Here's hoping for a Paladin upset in Columbia next weekend.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 11th, 2010, 08:06 PM
If you open it up to include Div II vs Div I and go back a bit, it has happened some more, but yes, it is rare, and App State certainly had a great team in '07.

I'd be hesitant to say that the victory over Michigan was some sort of watershed event however. The FCS in general has been becoming more and more competitive, especially at the top end. You could drop the CAA or SoCon into the FBS world and they would likely outcompete the majority of C-USA, Sunbelt, and MAC teams.

Wins like App Stats over Michigan or JMU over VT certainly bring exposure to FCS, and get people talking, which can be a good or bad thing depending. UD came close to taking out Maryland recently, Navy regularly falls to FCS opponents, and UNH had a nice little streak vs FBS going until today. I'd like to keep seeing FCS - FBS match ups, especially with high ranked teams, because every win gives FCS more validity (and if we win enough maybe we'll get our real teams with real stadiums in the NCAA videogame one day). The trouble could be if top-tier FBS programs start noticing that the top end FCS teams aren't pushovers, and stop scheduling the games. I'd love to see UD, GSU, App State, 'Nova, and other top ranked FCS teams play against the real big boys like Alabama, Florida, and Ohio State, but when those big programs have nothing to gain and everything to lose in a very real potential loss to a strong FCS team, I don't see those games getting scheduled.

GreatAppSt
September 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'd love to see UD, GSU, App State, 'Nova, and other top ranked FCS teams play against the real big boys like Alabama, Florida, and Ohio State, but when those big programs have nothing to gain and everything to lose in a very real potential loss to a strong FCS team, I don't see those games getting scheduled.

You mean these big boys? GSU has 2011 - Alabama 2012 - Georgia 2013 - Florida 2014 - LSU 2015 - Ga Tech . ASU played LSU twice, Mich since 05 has UF this year I believe GA in 11 and VT in 12. UM has Tenn next year

McN has missouri & LSU this season. should be enough big boy games to chose from. I know there are more but these were just off the top of my head.

PaladinFan
September 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM
You mean these big boys? GSU has 2011 - Alabama 2012 - Georgia 2013 - Florida 2014 - LSU 2015 - Ga Tech . ASU played LSU twice, Mich nc since 05 has UF this year I believe GA in 11 and VT in 12. UM has Tenn next year

McN has LSU this season. should be enough big boy games to chose from. I know there are more but these were just off the top of my head.

Furman's got USC, Florida, Clemson, VT, and LSU on the docket. Maybe the Bluehens need to up the ante a little bit.

BlueHenSinfonian
September 11th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Furman's got USC, Florida, Clemson, VT, and LSU on the docket. Maybe the Bluehens need to up the ante a little bit.

Heh, I guess so, all we have are Navy and Pitt AFAIK.

T-Dog
September 11th, 2010, 09:39 PM
You mean these big boys? GSU has 2011 - Alabama 2012 - Georgia 2013 - Florida 2014 - LSU 2015 - Ga Tech . ASU played LSU twice, Mich nc since 05 has UF this year I believe GA in 11 and VT in 12. UM has Tenn next year

McN has LSU this season. should be enough big boy games to chose from. I know there are more but these were just off the top of my head.

We go to Florida on November 20th.
Virginia Tech is the opener in 2011.
Montana comes to Boone in 2012.
We go to Montana AND Georgia in 2013.
Besides the home and home with McNeese in 2014 and 2015 and the NC A&T game in 2011, that's all we know.

Saint3333
September 11th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I do think the ASU win helped the recruiting at FCS programs to some extent, I know it has helped the SoCon teams. Coaches are now able to go into a house and throw out a couple of names the kids know. Once they get the kids ear they can sell them on earlier playing time than an FBS program.

App-a-latch-un
September 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I've been thinking the same thing for a bit now. I definitely think App's win over Michigan changed the mindset of FCS coaches and players. Not that FCS teams didn't have the potential to beat FBS teams before, but now teams go into these games knowing and believing that they can be competitive and victorious!

Big congrats to JMU today, kinda sucks for us since we got VT next year, you just made it that much more difficult for us. xsmileyclapx