PDA

View Full Version : Bleacher Report Hack: FBS Should Ban FCS Games

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Okay, it is the Bleacher Report and yes, we're probably giving this guy some not so due attention by discussing his article...

Main contention is that we do not see enough good intersectional games between FBS powers in light of this week's Alabama-Penn State showcase game...

Shouldn't you blame the schools at the FBS level for wanting to play more home games? And the NCAA for letting spending getting out of control, necessitating the need for FBS to have more home games and FCS to need more money from these guarantee games?

For a whole lot of schools, they begin the season without any chance of a BCS bowl game.

For schools like Indiana, Baylor, New Mexico, and Duke, they start the season with no real chance of making a BCS game anyway, so this would not be a major issue and they could still play a FCS game.

But for any team looking to make the BCS, the scheduling of a FCS game would become an admission to a school's fans that the school has no chance of being a top school and the school had given up before the season even started.

Very quickly, every major school would quickly drop FCS games and we would quickly see an increase to major games between major programs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/458357-tcu-tennessee-tech-why-games-versus-fcs-schools-should-be-banned

bonarae
September 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM
IMHO maybe the writer is already tired of seeing FBS-FCS games in which the FBS team is the winner and the score is lopsided. As an Ivy League fan, I don't think the Presidents can agree to let FBS teams schedule us due to the nature of our scheduling and we learn from experience (in years past, then I-A teams would hand us a big loss.)

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Kansas City Star is even suggesting it... what this guy does not realize is the FCS schools want to play the "big time" schools because of the pay day and the chance at a win... not because they want to have an "illusion" that they play "big time football"...

But it boils down to this: The NCAA (through the vote of its member schools) could mandate that BCS schools only play each other. Would that hurt the FCS schools (like McNeese State and North Dakota State)? Yes. And that's why the NCAA won't do it. The FCS schools want the millusion that they play Big Time college football when they don't. Big Time college football teams - with their non-conference schedules - are paying for that illusion, quite literally.

Read more: http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1176#ixzz0zEzm4fvC

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
IMHO maybe the writer is already tired of seeing FBS-FCS games in which the FBS team is the winner and the score is lopsided. As an Ivy League fan, I don't think the Presidents can agree to let FBS teams schedule us due to the nature of our scheduling and we learn from experience (in years past, then I-A teams would hand us a big loss.)

Ivy cannot play an FBS school because the game would not count for the latter's bowl eligibility. But there are a number of FBS teams that Harvard or Penn could keep up with competitively. On the other hand, the day Dartmouth plays a "money game" is the day I'll shoot my monitor.

Syntax Error
September 11th, 2010, 12:20 PM
this stuff deserves no attention, it displays a basic ignorance of the Division I football

bonarae
September 11th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Ivies may have run out of ideas because their playoff-playing peers have had FBS opponents on their schedules (because of $). That's the reason why they now tend to schedule mid-majors now. xnonono2x

How about Dartmouth-Savannah State? Would it be a good idea?

Syntax Error
September 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Ivies may have run out of ideas because their playoff-playing peers have had FBS opponents on their schedules (because of $).

Ivies don't count because of equivalencies for FBS teams

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Ivies may have run out of ideas because their playoff-playing peers have had FBS opponents on their schedules (because of $). That's the reason why they now tend to schedule mid-majors now. xnonono2x

How about Dartmouth-Savannah State? Would it be a good idea?

Ivy peers in the playoff-playing Patriot League (if you consider the PL to be peers) do not as a matter of course play money games. That might change if the PL presidents vote to allow scholarships at some level. It won't change the PL academic index, though, and you won't see Colgate playing Alabama or Bucknell playing Texas. More like Temple, Rutgers, Duke, Navy, Syracuse and Connecticut. These are teams that the better Ivies (Penn, Harvard, Yale) could be playing as well. If the NEC teams on the Ivy schedule are what you describe as "mid-majors" recall that the NEC now is a playoff-eligible conference as well.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Ivy peers in the playoff-playing Patriot League (if you consider the PL to be peers) do not as a matter of course play money games. That might change if the PL presidents vote to allow scholarships at some level. It won't change the PL academic index, though, and you won't see Colgate playing Alabama or Bucknell playing Texas.

Why does a scholarship PL hold on to the Ivy League Index?

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Why does a scholarship PL hold on to the Ivy League Index?

To annoy Georgetown?

Seriously, it's to maintain the competitive balance in the league. There are some really tiny colleges in there (like mine) that cannot absorb a football team full of "special admits" (or whatever euphemism is employed these days). I think you'll find fans and alumni are largely in favor of maintaining the AI regardless of scholarships.

I suppose Georgetown could vote to have Lafayette thrown out of the league if the Pards continue to push for the AI (which it will), but I'm not certain Georgetown would have the votes overall to swing that one.

DFW HOYA
September 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM
To annoy Georgetown?

Seriously, it's to maintain the competitive balance in the league. There are some really tiny colleges in there (like mine) that cannot absorb a football team full of "special admits" (or whatever euphemism is employed these days). I think you'll find fans and alumni are largely in favor of maintaining the AI regardless of scholarships.

Competitive balance for a select group of schools, that is. Georgetown (arguably) had better access to recruits when it was in the MAAC and it's getting tougher, not easier, to get them admitted, which is probably why it's not announcing recruit lists until late May in recent years. I don't think it's providing competitive balance for Bucknell, either.

What an Ivy index tells the world outside the Ancient Eight is either that the PL must follow the Ivy way to retain its favor, or that it does not trust its own members to recruit in a responsible manner. Lafayette and Lehigh recruited for 100 years without an Ivy index with some number of "special admits" and did just fine.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I don't think it's providing competitive balance for Bucknell, either.

Bucknell can wipe the floor with our jocks in just about every other sport.