PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs UNI Game thread

PantherRob82
September 9th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Less than 48 hours until kickoff. Sounds like we'll be in for some good tailgating weather.

If any Panther or Bison fans want to meet up, we'll be in the lot directly SW of the Dome. It's the Panther Scholarship Club lot. Send me a PM and I'll give you some specifics.;)

FargoBison
September 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Coach Bohl is ESPN's quote of the week.....

"I think the environment that we're going to play in Cedar Falls is going to be much more of a hostile environment than Memorial Stadium in Kansas. That was pretty docile. And the type of team that we're going to be playing is going to be a much more physical, aggressive football team than KU. And quite frankly I think we're going to be playing a better opponent. I know one school is in the Big 12 and the other one is in the Missouri Valley. I think that gives an indication on how we see Missouri Valley play and the respect we give Northern Iowa."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/100910_varsity_tailgate&sportCat=ncf

Twentysix
September 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM
This space for rent in hottest thread of the week.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Coach Bohl is ESPN's quote of the week.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/100910_varsity_tailgate&sportCat=ncf

This is an awesome quote!!! xlolx haha - love it!

In all reality, the UNI Dome isn't all that loud or hostile of an environment. I've played there a couple times and I'd say the Fargo Dome is louder. Neither is even close to Montana. You could combine the two venues, multiply them by 10, and they still wouldn't compare to Montana's noise level and overall environment... xcoffeex

UNIFanSince1983
September 10th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Neither probably do compare to Montana's and they probably shouldn't. You may have played in the UNI-Dome, but probably never in a sell out or during a game like SIU. That is the one game that it gets crazy in there. That being said for any other game it can be not quite as loud or hostile as many other places. I think Saturday it won't be too crazy with the big in-state match up taking place in Iowa City.

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM

In all reality, the UNI Dome isn't all that loud or hostile of an environment. I've played there a couple times and I'd say the Fargo Dome is louder. Neither is even close to Montana. You could combine the two venues, multiply them by 10, and they still wouldn't compare to Montana's noise level and overall environment... xcoffeex

I've been on the field at both places and the FFD wasn't that loud. Maybe it was for the Jacks.

UNI Pike
September 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Based on the Des Moines Register's coverage, you would think that there are no other college football games happening this weekend. Period.

Jacked_Rabbit
September 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I've been on the field at both places and the FFD wasn't that loud. Maybe it was for the Jacks.

Good point - you are probably right.

ValleyChamp
September 10th, 2010, 05:59 PM

It probably didn't get that loud during an easy win over the jacks, being the fact that it was probably the least interesting home game of that year.

xcoffeex

JBB
September 10th, 2010, 06:13 PM
The Jacks have never been the least interesting home game of the year and lately its been even more intense than the first 100 years or so.

Way to go Coach Bohl!!! I know BISON fans everywhere feel the same way. Nothing but respect. xsmileyclapx

MplsBison
September 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
It probably didn't get that loud during an easy win over the jacks, being the fact that it was probably the least interesting home game of that year.

xcoffeex

I know message boards don't amount to a hill of beans and are just supposed to be for fun and so on....but doesn't knowing that the fans who represent a school online are bunch of turds make you want to root against that school in every game?

I know I want both ___ Dakota State schools to knock UNI off this year. Too bad even if that happens it won't take their fans down a couple pegs where they belong!

ValleyChamp
September 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM
*yawn*

PantherRob82
September 10th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I know I want both ___ Dakota State schools to knock UNI off this year. Too bad even if that happens it won't take their fans down a couple pegs where they belong!

I know I want North Dakota State schools to lose every single game. Too bad even when they go 3-8 it doesn't take their fans down a couple pegs where they belong. :)

Cap'n Cat
September 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
NDSU, 2-9 in 2010.

Gil Dobie
September 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I know I want North Dakota State schools to lose every single game. Too bad even when they go 3-8 it doesn't take their fans down a couple pegs where they belong. :)

You ever follow a team for 42 years? ;)

TheBisonator
September 10th, 2010, 10:41 PM
NDSU, 2-9 in 2010.

I'm saving this post for December, where I will have it as my sig line.

ValleyChamp
September 10th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm saving this post for December, where I will have it as my sig line.

You mean when the bison go 3-8, and you can tell cap'n "i told you so"...

xsmiley_wix

PantherRob82
September 11th, 2010, 04:07 AM

No, unfortunately I'm only at 21. You know i don't include you in this Gil. I met a lot of awesome Bison fans in Fargo last year and hope to make it every year.

darell1976
September 11th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Wasn't UNI getting their butts kicked in the NCC 42 years ago by the same Dakota teams.xlolx

UNIFanSince1983
September 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Ah the Dakota schools living in the past just like the Wichita fans do in basketball!

Oh man! I wish this game started earlier than 6:30. I cannot wait should be a great game between two good FCS football teams!

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Ah the Dakota schools living in the past just like the Wichita fans do in basketball!

Oh man! I wish this game started earlier than 6:30. I cannot wait should be a great game between two good FCS football teams!

It starts at 4:30 my time on the Pacific Coast ;)

stevdock
September 11th, 2010, 09:46 AM

What kind of history does UNI look backwards on?? A few conference championships followed by early round playoff exits??

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2010, 09:47 AM
No, unfortunately I'm only at 21. You know i don't include you in this Gil. I met a lot of awesome Bison fans in Fargo last year and hope to make it every year.

You know I'm just pulling your chain Rob. :)

This game is like a coin flip. I think the UNI is going to have a good season anytime Farley is in charge. Can't tell much by the Kansas game, even though I think Turner Gill will make them a decent team. Hey he won the MAC at Buffalo and Temple from the MAC beat Nova ;) .

ValleyChamp
September 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
What kind of history does UNI look backwards on?? A few conference championships followed by early round playoff exits??

really?....

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Panthers defense has been stifling except for one broken coverage pass play. UNI getting their 4th drive started after the Bizon punt. UNI 3 drives, 3 scores, 3-3 in the redzone.

UNI avg. nearly 9.3yds per play.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Panthers fumble football as Anderson dove for the endzone, no TD..touchback. Bizon get a break.

9-3 8:30 left in first half.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Panthers recover fumble of NDSU!!! inside the 15. Panthers ball! 8:20 left in the half

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
drive stalls after turnover. Missed FG by Hallgren (3 for 4)

UNI still leads 9-3 with 5:42 to go in the half. QB Renni trying to do too much that drive with his feet.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM
NDSU gets their first big drive going, but misses a 47yd FG...UNI up 9-3 with 1:18 left in the half. UNI ball!!!

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
sloppy 2nd Q with 4 turnovers total for both teams...UNI up 9-3 at the half. UNI is driving well just can't punch it in. NDSU offense struggling. UNI defense is pretty good.

MplsBison
September 11th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Watching the UNI webcast (for free! that's sweet...good job!) of the game.

NDSU offense is doing nothing. No running game whatsoever. I credit the UNI defense to selling out to the run to stop it early.

As NDSU's QB goes, the passing game goes (seems obvious doesn't it?). He seems hopelessly inept at times, a few good throws now and then.

Vigen needs to get back to the run. UNI D is playing coverage and blitzing on obvious pass downs. Don't give up on the run and we'll grind this thing out.

NDSU has figured out UNI's one-trick-pony offense (the running back they have playing QB just keeps the ball and runs for 20+ yards).

And since this may be my last post of Sept (SDSU ____ the bed earlier today), I've seen a few times that UNI's players have been as classless as some of their AGS fans. In particular, at the end of halftime they hurried off the field in front of NDSU...you always let the visitors go to their locker room first. That's a simple courtesy given at every level of football. Classless.

Our defense has figured UNI's offense out...just hope our offense can do something to win the game.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 08:07 PM
halftime stats

NDSU
6 first downs 3 turnovers 123 Total Yards
1-2 on FGs

UNI
9 first downs 2 turnovers
244 Yards (Anderson 8 carries for 92 yards, Rennie 13 carries for around 70 yards)

Rushing
NDSU 13 rushes for (-19)
UNI 21 rushes for 162

Passing
NDSU 9-17 142 yards, 2 INTs, 3 Sacks
UNI 4-8 82 yards, 1 INT 3 sacks

Scoring
FGs
NDSU - 1-2 Long of 28 (missed 47)
UNI - 3-4 Long of 32 (missed 31)

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Watching the UNI webcast (for free! that's sweet...good job!) of the game.

And since this may be my last post of Sept (SDSU ____ the bed earlier today), I've seen a few times that UNI's players have been as classless as some of their AGS fans. In particular, at the end of halftime they hurried off the field in front of NDSU...you always let the visitors go to their locker room first. That's a simple courtesy given at every level of football. Classless.

its called showing the enemy you're not tired. Everyone does it from Peewee to HS to pros

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Panthers first punt comes with just under 13 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. UNI up 9-3.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 08:34 PM
teams trade punts. UNI gets pinned deep at their own 3 yard line to start their 2nd drive of the half. Still 9-3.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM
4th and 4 for UNI at their own 11, sophomore punter cranks it 78 yards to the NDSU 13!!! Wow

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 08:47 PM
4:36 to go in 3rd. Still 9-3, however, field position has changed and UNI in great shape to start their next drive at their own 49 after a partially blocked punt. Boring 3rd Q currently.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 08:51 PM
couple pass plays and Option Run by Anderson for the TOUCHDOWN!!!! UNI 16-3 just under 3 left in the 3rd quarter!

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:02 PM
End of 3. UNI up 16-3. All momentum in UNI's favor. NDSU limping to the finish.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Another missed FG by UNI (41yds) UNI still 16-3. 10:09 left in the game.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:22 PM
54 yard scamper by Anderson just misses a TD...1st n goal for UNI at the NDSU 2

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:24 PM
horrible call by the refs, rushing attempted ended, after the tackle. whistle didn't blow but the player was on the ground. let go of the ball and NDSU picked it up and ran to their 28. Call was a fumble. BS. but oh well.

Defense has been stellar today for UNI.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM
back to back bad calls. PF penalty by UNI apparently for sacking the QB with the ball.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Bizon driving after the penalty in UNI territory but UNI gets another sack (8 i believe for the game).

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:34 PM
NDSU converts on 4th down and then on 3rd and 1 QB draw for the TD for the Bizon 16-9 after the blocked XP!!!!! returned 50 yards before tackled! 3:21 left in the game

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:42 PM
UNI on 3rd and medium, obvious pass interference call, not called...UNI forced to punt. NDSU 2 times outs under 2 to go.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
NDSU ball 2nd and 13 at the UNI 41 with 50 seconds left. NDSU 1 timeout left.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:46 PM
3rd and 5 for Bizon, 35 sec left.....Bizon touchdown but offensive pass interfence!

unigriff
3rd and 20 for NDSU, 1 timeout. Ball at UNI 48 yd. line 26 seconds left.

UNICats
Whew!!

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:50 PM
4th and 32 after the sack but then UNI pass interfence with 8 seconds left. NDSU first down.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:51 PM
another sack by UNI, NDSU calls final timeout with 2 seconds left. 2nd and forever for the Bizon. UNI 10+ sacks on the game. 4th and 62 for the tying TD

UNICats
September 11th, 2010, 09:52 PM
NDSU brings in a designated long thrower??

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM
SACK #11 of the game ends the game!!! UNI wins 16-9. Defense was phenomenal. UNI just couldn't punch it in early otherwise UNI dominated this game. Stats coming soon

UNICats
September 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
UNI brought a strong performance, but couldn't finish in the red zone. Two fumbles and two missed fieldgoals in deep. Love the team speed through. Quicker than I have seen them in the past.

unigriff
September 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Final Stats

NDSU
Mohler 20-35 for 247yds 2 INTS, 1 Rushing TD on 18 carries for -47 yards

UNI
Rennie 10-20 172 yards, 19 carries for 96 yards

UNI's Ben Boothy (former FB) 7 tackles 4 sacks

UNI 55 plays for 434 total yards
NDSU 66 plays for 207 total yards

NDSU Rushing 31 rushes for -40 yards
UNI Rushing 35 rushes for 262 yards (anderson 11 for 153 and 1 TD)

time of possession NDSU 32:20 to UNI 27:40

UNI was 3-12 on 3rd down, NDSU was 6 for 16.

Sacks
NDSU 3 for 22 yards
UNI 11 for 77 yards

UNI fumbled twice in the redzone and 2 missed FGs

Penalties killed UNI
11 for 108 yards
NDSU 9 for 77

UNI Pike
September 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
UNI should have won that game by 3 TDs or more. Gotta work on redzone offense. Back into the basement for Lakes & Mpls.

Go Bison
September 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I picked UNI to win 17-13. Truth be told, UNI should have had a lot more points. The final was a 7 point loss but it felt more like a 30 point loss.

NDB
September 11th, 2010, 10:42 PM
UNI looked solid.

However, they need to learn to finish.

As well as they played and as poorly as NDSU did (especially with UNI knocking the Bison around) they should have won by 30.

Gil Dobie
September 12th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Good game Panthers :)

Big Al
September 12th, 2010, 12:22 AM
How bad was Kansas last week? NDSU just didn't strike me as a top-tier MVFC -- much less FCS -- football squad. That said, UNI has a lot of work to do -- their offense seemed to be allergic to the endzone. Strong drives consistently sputtered on dumb errors inside the 20. Rennie looks like a helluva player, although some of his passing efforts were Favre-like in a bad way.

I dunno -- that was a sloppy game. Definitely a lot of stupid, sloppy penalties on both sides. Kansas victory notwithstanding, I don't see Bohl in Fargo past this year. If UNI wants to contend for the MVFC crown -- which they have the talent to do -- they have a lot of work ahead of them. The offense's youth and inexperience really showed itself today.

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Ugly ugly game on both sides. UNI has GREAT skill players, but has absolutely no power running game at all. Gotta give NDSU credit for some of UNI's troubles inside the redzone. They really did bend, but not break today. I couldn't tell if NDSU just has no offense or if our defense was that good. I gotta think it was a combination of both. Not often are you going to see NDSU held to -40 yards rushing. I really think UNI has great talent, but there are plenty of kinks to work out before SFA comes calling next week.

Good game Bison nice to see all your fans and your band!

Twentysix
September 12th, 2010, 12:32 AM
NDSU's line play was pathetic, they tackled like the 07 gophers. Other than that meh. Hopefully they will do nonstop tackling drills and be much better next week.

NoCoDanny
September 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Thank you N. IA.

Big Al
September 12th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Ugly ugly game on both sides. UNI has GREAT skill players, but has absolutely no power running game at all. Gotta give NDSU credit for some of UNI's troubles inside the redzone.

Agreed. I thought UNI showed promise, but there is much work still to do. Speaking of power running, who thought it would be a good idea to have Carlos Anderson try to punch it up the gut on the 4 yard line? Talk about not playing to a person's skillset...

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Yeah put the 5'7 170 lbs back in there to punch it in while running out of the shotgun. Next time I would hope we line up under center with two fullbacks and give the ball to Strathman. I realize we lost our fullback/quarterback that could just pound it in but still.

On the plus side I really liked the new uniforms, and am soooo happy we have white pants again instead of the AWFUL black ones we have had for sooo long!

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Last night I learned how much it sucks to live two hours away. What a long night.

Right off the bat I thought we were going to win in blowout fashion. Rennie has the skills to be one of the mopst athletic and memorable QBs in, at worst, recent FCS history. If he can have half the intangiable skills Armanti had then he will be a great QB.

Carlos Anderson was in the form we expected. Ran for over 150 yards behind a big line. Strathman didn't get much time as the power back.

We are DEEP at WR. Herring, Sinkfield, Collins, and Leonard are all quick weapons. Throw in Oordt at 6'7" TE and Rennie has a lot of options. A couple big plays last night and slight timing changes to a get a few more.

The Oline was tough to guage. Rennie had some pressure at times, but I couldn't tell if that was the line, or just a matter of NDSU bringing a lot of blitzes and our play calling not adjusting.

The defense looked amazing. They had 2 INTs and had two hands on so many more of Mohler's passes. 11 sacks is an amazing stat, and I would guess they had a lot of hurries and hits just after he got rid of the ball.

Special teams was ok. Kicked went 3-5, probably should've been 4-5 or 5-5. One attempt was a chipshot, don't remember on the other. Punter had a punt from the endzone land in NDSU territory and roll for a total of 75 yards. New dome record.

NDSU looked like they were in for a rough season. D looked pretty decent but the offense looked terrible. They couldn't establish a run game(which has to be there for them). They've got to find a way to get some yardage. They can't air it out with Mohler's inaccuracy and poor decision making.

Professor Chaos
September 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Last night I learned how much it sucks to live two hours away. What a long night.

Right off the bat I thought we were going to win in blowout fashion. Rennie has the skills to be one of the mopst athletic and memorable QBs in, at worst, recent FCS history. If he can have half the intangiable skills Armanti had then he will be a great QB.

Carlos Anderson was in the form we expected. Ran for over 150 yards behind a big line. Strathman didn't get much time as the power back.

We are DEEP at WR. Herring, Sinkfield, Collins, and Leonard are all quick weapons. Throw in Oordt at 6'7" TE and Rennie has a lot of options. A couple big plays last night and slight timing changes to a get a few more.

The Oline was tough to guage. Rennie had some pressure at times, but I couldn't tell if that was the line, or just a matter of NDSU bringing a lot of blitzes and our play calling not adjusting.

The defense looked amazing. They had 2 INTs and had two hands on so many more of Mohler's passes. 11 sacks is an amazing stat, and I would guess they had a lot of hurries and hits just after he got rid of the ball.

Special teams was ok. Kicked went 3-5, probably should've been 4-5 or 5-5. One attempt was a chipshot, don't remember on the other. Punter had a punt from the endzone land in NDSU territory and roll for a total of 75 yards. New dome record.

NDSU looked like they were in for a rough season. D looked pretty decent but the offense looked terrible. They couldn't establish a run game(which has to be there for them). They've got to find a way to get some yardage. They can't air it out with Mohler's inaccuracy and poor decision making.

Good analysis. I thought UNI's front seven manhandled the NDSU O-line which is a sad thing since NDSU was much bigger up front. Rennie is going to be very good if he improves as he should. There were all sorts of holes out there for him. UNI's LBs were also in the backfield constantly, I was very impressed by that group. The commentators kept talking about how much faster UNI was but I thought it was a combination of them being faster and much more agressive than NDSU. The UNI defense was acting and forcing the NDSU offense to react when it should be vice versa.

From the NDSU side I really wonder if they need a change at QB. Mohler looked awful against the blitz and any team who sees this tape is going to blitz him early and often. He tried to make something out of nothing way too often and put his team in huge holes by taking unnecessary sacks. NDSU O-line: WTF??? Non-existant running game and no pass protection. What a disappointment from a group that should be a strength year in and year out.

Officiating was questionable on both sides in this game but it was a game the UNI deserved to win and NDSU deserved to lose. Good luck to the Panthers the rest of the season, I hope they make opposing offenses look as bad the rest of the season as they made NDSU's offense look on Saturday.