PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-11

JALMOND
September 9th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Last week was a pretty easy week and each Big Sky team did pretty much what was expected of them. However, we really did not get any answers to the many questions surrounding the teams this year. Hopefully this week, that will change. There are still some games that a Big Sky team is playing up or down, but 2 teams, Montana and Portland State, are playing within the FCS. Also, 2 other teams, Weber State and Northern Colorado, are getting the conference season underway playing against each other. Last week I started the year 9-0, not really saying much as a blind man could have picked all the winners. This week a challenge to stay perfect. Here are the games (all my opinion only)...

Central Washington at EWU---This game is in Seattle and is the second game the Eagles have played there in the last two years. The Eagles are coming off their game at Nevada and stayed relatively close. This game against their in state DII squad should not be as close...EWU 38, Central Washington 21.

ISU at Utah State---The Bengals' win last week means that they are currently on a two game winning streak dating back to last year. Utah State is coming off a respective showing against Oklahoma, a team that destroyed the Bengals last year. Can the Bengals get this upset over the FBS Utah State? Maybe, if tigers could fly...Utah State 48, ISU 10.

UM at Cal Poly---This week it was announced that Cal Poly will be joining the Big Sky. Maybe a welcoming present as the Grizzlies head down to play the Mustangs. The Grizzlies are coming off of the beatdown of a DII. The Mustangs just survived against a DII. Could have been that the Mustangs were looking forward to this game (who hasn't) but in the long run...UM 28, Cal Poly 24.

MSU at Washington State---For demolishing their DII team from Colorado, the Bobcats get to move up a level this week and head to the Pac-10's Washington State. Of all the Pac-10 teams, Washington State is probably the worst which may bode well for the Bobcats to try to spring the upset. As much as they would enjoy that outcome, they may have to settle for being close...Washington State 28, MSU 20.

NAU at Arizona State---Last week, the Jacks were acting just like everyone else in the conference, destroying their DII opponent. For their reward, they get to head down to Arizona State, who was enjoying their own taste of the conference. Last week was easy, this week may prove a bit more difficult, although the Jacks may put up more of a fight...Arizona State 34, NAU 10.

PSU at UC-Davis---Like Cal Poly, UC-Davis was also selected to join the Big Sky conference this week and for their reward, they get to play a fellow Big Sky opponent in the Vikings. The Vikings basically did not show up last week in the desert against Arizona State, maybe playing at their level will help. These two teams have played really close games which bodes well for future conference games. Right now, though...UC-Davis 35, PSU 16.

Western Oregon at Sac State---The good news from last week was that the Hornets managed 17 points against Stanford. The bad news was that the defense gave up 52. This week, a step down as they welcome DII Western Oregon to their home turf. A great time to right the ship and get everything flowing...Sac State 48, Western Oregon 7.

and the conference game

UNC at WSU---Are these two teams ready for conference play? Last week the Bears were looking like an FCS team while the Wildcats were not looking too bad against the ACC's Boston College. What that translates to in this game is anybody's guess. Top it off with the fact that these two teams seem to play each other close. Hard to imagine a game this early could mean so much...WSU 27, UNC 24.

wapiti
September 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Central Washington at EWU---I see EWU winning this one, but CWU has been a very good D2 team, so it may be a bit closer than EWU likes. EWU 35 CWU 21

ISU at Utah State--- ISU gets crushed in this one. ISU 6 US 48

UM at Cal Poly--- Before last weeks game I may have picked CP for this one, but after last weeks play I have to pick UM. UM 32 CP 17

MSU at Washington State--- MSU has a chance to win this, but WSU is a FBS team from a BCS confrence. MSU 17 WSU 25

NAU at Arizona State---NAU has less of a chance of winning than MSU has. NAU 14 ASU 38

PSU at UC-Davis--- All of the so called experts on here have been predicting a dismal season for PSU. UC-Davis predictions are quite a bit stonger + Davis is at home. PSU 10 UC-Davis 32

Western Oregon at Sac State--- Sac state should take care of the D2 team. If not, then they may be in for a dismal season. WO 10 SS 32

and the conference game

UNC at WSU---I agree, this is a tough one to pick. I will go with the home team in a squeeker. UNC 20 WSU 21

Green Cookie Monster
September 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I dont see davis scoring 35 points. They have a freshman QB and by the numbers did nothing against Cal. I think PSU has to win this game cause the following week they get another beatdown in Oregon.

JALMOND
September 9th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I dont see davis scoring 35 points. They have a freshman QB and by the numbers did nothing against Cal. I think PSU has to win this game cause the following week they get another beatdown in Oregon.

I thought Heyworth did a great job, coming in last year against us after Denham went out with an injury. He looked like a world beater. This new kid must have showed the coaches something if he is starting ahead of Heyworth. Also, just like playing against Arizona State, it doesn't take much to make you look terrible against Cal.

Green Cookie Monster
September 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Well it is up to PSU to welcome the davis laggies into the BSC, Go Viks!

I Bleed Purple
September 9th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Can WSU for ONCE have a blowout win against UNC.

One time?

Please?

Squealofthepig
September 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM
JAlmond - agree with your pics. Think the two that could be problems are the Cats at Washington and the Griz going down to Cal Poly. The Mustangs always play the Griz tough, and do believe you're right in saying this one will be a close one. And the Cats are a capable team, and Washington is but a shadow of its former self.

UNCBears2010
September 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM

One time?

Please?

Not this year with UNC's defense. Weber should just be worried about winning at all. This will be a good game.

I Bleed Purple
September 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Not this year with UNC's defense. Weber should just be worried about winning at all. This will be a good game.

The ultimate irony, I guess, that the first time we blow you out is when UNC gets good.

TokyoGriz
September 10th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Griz 31
Poly 10

I dont think it will be as close as some do. Griz D is going to put a hurt on the Big Sky this year, but will give up some plays being aggresive. Offense struggled a bit last week but this week will come together more.

UNCBears2010
September 11th, 2010, 01:07 AM
You blew us out in 2007, 23-0 in Greeley. It wasn't as close as the score indicated as I remember.

I Bleed Purple
September 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
6-2

Jalmond is probably upset yet happy he didn't go 7-1.

You blew us out in 2007, 23-0 in Greeley. It wasn't as close as the score indicated as I remember.

I believe it was 4 turnovers that kept it close. Much like 6 turnovers + one fumble on the two point conversion kept today's game the way it was.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Correct Pick
Incorrect Pick
Actual Score
(-123) = Difference between predicted and actual point spread
APSE = Average Point Spread Error
__________________________________________________ _

MSU 24 @ 21 Wazzu
MSU 22 @ 23 Wazzu (-4)

ISU 10 @ 42 Utah State
ISU 17 @ 38 Utah State (-11)

UNC 21 @ 35 WSU
UNC 47 @ 50 WSU (-11)

Central Wash. 24 @ 52 EWU
Central Wash. 32 @ 35 EWU (-25)

UM 34 @ 21 CPSLO
UM 33 @ 35 CPSLO (-15)

Western Ore. 14 @ 35 SAC
Western Ore. 17 @ 31 SAC (-7)

PSU 20 @ 28 UC-Davis
PSU 41 @ 33 UC-Davis (-16)

NAU 24 @ 31 Arizona State
NAU 20 @ 41 Arizona State (-14)
__________________________________________________ _

This week: 5-3
Last week: 9-0
Overall: 14-3
APSE last week: 16.5 pts.
APSE this week: 12.9 pts.
APSE overall: 14.7 pts.
__________________________________________________ _________

Overall, a crazy week in both FCS and FBS. This is why I love college football. Very close on the WSU-MSU game, yet a loss is a loss. A missed PAT and bad play call cost the Cats the game, one they had in the bag. A close game between PSU and UC-Davis like most expected, except the opposite result with PSU pulling off the win after both teams looked terrible against Pac-10 opponents last week. Montana lost in a surprising upset to Cal Poly after the Mustangs rallied to win against a weak D-II team last week. EWU held on to win against an always tough CWU squad after hanging in the game late against Nevada, one of the FBS's top offenses from last year. And in the game of the week, Weber State held off Northern Colorado in a quadruple overtime win in Ogden.

You have me by one game J, but it was almost the other way around. Looking forward to an intriguing week 3 in the BSC.

JALMOND
September 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Last week was a pretty easy week and each Big Sky team did pretty much what was expected of them. However, we really did not get any answers to the many questions surrounding the teams this year. Hopefully this week, that will change. There are still some games that a Big Sky team is playing up or down, but 2 teams, Montana and Portland State, are playing within the FCS. Also, 2 other teams, Weber State and Northern Colorado, are getting the conference season underway playing against each other. Last week I started the year 9-0, not really saying much as a blind man could have picked all the winners. This week a challenge to stay perfect. Here are the games (all my opinion only)...

Central Washington at EWU---This game is in Seattle and is the second game the Eagles have played there in the last two years. The Eagles are coming off their game at Nevada and stayed relatively close. This game against their in state DII squad should not be as close...EWU 38, Central Washington 21.

ISU at Utah State---The Bengals' win last week means that they are currently on a two game winning streak dating back to last year. Utah State is coming off a respective showing against Oklahoma, a team that destroyed the Bengals last year. Can the Bengals get this upset over the FBS Utah State? Maybe, if tigers could fly...Utah State 48, ISU 10.

UM at Cal Poly---This week it was announced that Cal Poly will be joining the Big Sky. Maybe a welcoming present as the Grizzlies head down to play the Mustangs. The Grizzlies are coming off of the beatdown of a DII. The Mustangs just survived against a DII. Could have been that the Mustangs were looking forward to this game (who hasn't) but in the long run...UM 28, Cal Poly 24.

MSU at Washington State---For demolishing their DII team from Colorado, the Bobcats get to move up a level this week and head to the Pac-10's Washington State. Of all the Pac-10 teams, Washington State is probably the worst which may bode well for the Bobcats to try to spring the upset. As much as they would enjoy that outcome, they may have to settle for being close...Washington State 28, MSU 20.

NAU at Arizona State---Last week, the Jacks were acting just like everyone else in the conference, destroying their DII opponent. For their reward, they get to head down to Arizona State, who was enjoying their own taste of the conference. Last week was easy, this week may prove a bit more difficult, although the Jacks may put up more of a fight...Arizona State 34, NAU 10.

PSU at UC-Davis---Like Cal Poly, UC-Davis was also selected to join the Big Sky conference this week and for their reward, they get to play a fellow Big Sky opponent in the Vikings. The Vikings basically did not show up last week in the desert against Arizona State, maybe playing at their level will help. These two teams have played really close games which bodes well for future conference games. Right now, though...UC-Davis 35, PSU 16.

Western Oregon at Sac State---The good news from last week was that the Hornets managed 17 points against Stanford. The bad news was that the defense gave up 52. This week, a step down as they welcome DII Western Oregon to their home turf. A great time to right the ship and get everything flowing...Sac State 48, Western Oregon 7.

and the conference game

UNC at WSU---Are these two teams ready for conference play? Last week the Bears were looking like an FCS team while the Wildcats were not looking too bad against the ACC's Boston College. What that translates to in this game is anybody's guess. Top it off with the fact that these two teams seem to play each other close. Hard to imagine a game this early could mean so much...WSU 27, UNC 24.

6-2 for the week means I start 15-2. Guess that is what I get when I bet against my own team, although I enjoyed the outcome. I was glad to be wrong in the PSU game.

JALMOND
September 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
6-2

Jalmond is probably upset yet happy he didn't go 7-1.

I believe it was 4 turnovers that kept it close. Much like 6 turnovers + one fumble on the two point conversion kept today's game the way it was.

I actually had Cal Poly beating the Griz all summer, then changed it after reading about both teams in week 1. I should have kept it the same. As for Portland State, as a fan, I was estatic about it (wanted to stay and listen but I thought the wife would divorce me if I did. She let me listen to it in the car, though), but I had to take Davis objectively, taking a team at home that looked mediocre against a mid-level Pac-10 over a team on the road that looked mediocre against a lower level Pac-10 team. I was very happy with the results, however.

Walkon79
September 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM

One time?

Please?

Apparently not!