PDA

View Full Version : I-AA, Not Good Enough for Iowa Walk-On

TexasTerror
January 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM
I guess for some players, I-AA just does not meet their needs. If this guy didn't get a scholarship offer and is just planning on walking on, he may just amount to that guy you always see tossing the pill around on the sidelines and not get in...

And who says I-AA programs are smaller? Why do we always have to be called "smaller schools"?!?

"Division I-AA programs are outstanding programs and not to take anything away from the all-conference or All-America players there," he said, "but you'd sort of always wonder if you were to go smaller and have an outstanding career, what it would've been like if you would've gone to the University of Iowa."

http://www.hawkcentral.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/HAWKS0104/601250326/1058

AppGuy04
January 25th, 2006, 07:34 AM
to each his own

enjoy picking those splinters out of your butt

bandl
January 25th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I guess for some players, I-AA just does not meet their needs. If this guy didn't get a scholarship offer and is just planning on walking on, he may just amount to that guy you always see tossing the pill around on the sidelines and not get in...

And who says I-AA programs are smaller? Why do we always have to be called "smaller schools"?!?

"Division I-AA programs are outstanding programs and not to take anything away from the all-conference or All-America players there," he said, "but you'd sort of always wonder if you were to go smaller and have an outstanding career, what it would've been like if you would've gone to the University of Iowa."

http://www.hawkcentral.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/HAWKS0104/601250326/1058
What a dolt. :rotateh: He should do some research on I-A transfers to I-AA before saying crap like that. Yeah, sitting on the bench at Iowa (or any 'bigtime' school) sure beats the playing time at a 'smalltime' school!! I often wonder if some of these people are really in it for the love of the game, or for something else. If they really love the game, go somewhere where you can actually play and contribute.
There have been plenty of transfers that immediately found success (and playing time!). Justin Rascati comes to mind...won a NC...something he never could have done at Louisville. xcoffeex

Cocky
January 25th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I feel real sure not a single player has ever left JSU wondering how it would have turned out at the University of Iowa.

A 235 pound OL will have a hard time at D-II if he doesn't gain some weight.

Good Luck to both.

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Just waiting for one of our UNI posters to answer the kid's question about wondering how things would've turned out if only he'd attended the University of Iowa!! :p :rolleyes:

nmatsen
January 25th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Just waiting for one of our UNI posters to answer the kid's question about wondering how things would've turned out if only he'd attended the University of Iowa!! :p :rolleyes:

FUC*, *$&%, *#$$, $#*(#, *@#(@ THAT A$$W*$#

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2006, 08:56 AM

:hurray: :bow: :bow: xlolx xlolx :hurray:

Bub
January 25th, 2006, 09:31 AM

F#*# %@*(Obligatory response to nmatsen's antiIowa diatribe) :)

Picking the walkon route I-A over scholarship at I-AA or D-II is a tough row to hoe. Even though Iowa has a history of having successful walk-ons, you still have to overcome the fact that the coaches have already determined they have better players than you, that's why they got the scholarships and not you. If they went to the I-AA or D-II school they'd be the guy a walk-on would have to overcome. Goodluck to them, probably awful tough to grow up in the shadow of Kinnick and go somewhere else.

youwouldno
January 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Maybe they made the right decision. The OL is really a long-snapper and had no I-AA offers either. The other guy had one I-AA offer but, because of his apparent speed, he might feel his upside would be best realized with Iowa's coaching staff.

I do question athletes that walk-on to a I-A because I-AA is just too small-time for them. Obviously, the I-As don't value them very highly. The best way to improve is to play, and that's hard as a walk-on when the team has 85 scholarship players.

Chi Panther
January 25th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Remember the kid is from Iowa City......
However, the kicker is that UNI has 2 WRs and 2 TEs currently playing in the NFL....a really good history of WRs getting a shot in the NFL. IF he wants the hometown BIG 10 experience.....Iowa is the right decision.....but if he wants to try and play after college its a toss up. BUT THE REALLY FUNNY THING IS.....HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO WALK-ON AT UNI ALSO.

Evans makes final decision
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luke Feddersen
IowaPreps.com Editor

After making official visits to Northwest Missouri State, Iowa, and South Dakota State, Iowa City High athlete Ben Evans has made up his mind on where he will attend college. Which one of these schools will have this All Stater enrolled next fall? Find out now as IowaPreps.com talked to Evans about his decision and much more!

SoCon48
January 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Maybe they made the right decision. The OL is really a long-snapper and had no I-AA offers either. The other guy had one I-AA offer but, because of his apparent speed, he might feel his upside would be best realized with Iowa's coaching staff.

I do question athletes that walk-on to a I-A because I-AA is just too small-time for them. Obviously, the I-As don't value them very highly. The best way to improve is to play, and that's hard as a walk-on when the team has 85 scholarship players.
The whole article is rather stoopid. Hell, if he wasn't offered, he simply was deciding where to freakin' walk on.

Bub
January 25th, 2006, 11:03 AM
You know I think for a lot of guys it really comes down to them viewing college football as being equated with big stadiums, big crowds i.e. I-A football. If that's their view then going to a smaller venue just isn't their view of college football. too bad.

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Cap'n Cat didn't even know there were such things as I-AA and I-A when He transferred from Northern Illinois to Northern Iowa. All He knew was that He was going to a place He always knew He liked better and wanted to go to in the first place. He went to Northern Illinois for the stupid, sole reason of staying closer to that patch o' hair named Katie back in Orland Park who would be coming up to NIU the next fall and with whom Cap'n Cat would spend untold joyful decades as faithful Husband a Father of her children.

Wrong. ....sound of screeching tires and car wreck....

Anyway............

Regarding this guy going to Iowa, in My estimation, he said nothing derogatory about I-AA. He knows there are outstanding programs. Good enough for Me.

All the best to him.

xprost2x

GrizFanIRAQ
January 25th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Sounds like this kid is dreaming...6-1 235 is pretty small for a 1-aa OL. He would have to put on atleast 50lbs and maybe add a few inches. I guess if he considers long snapping as a career then he might do OK. However I would call that very much fun. Maybe he could double as the longsnapper and the guy that runs onto the field after kickoffs to get the tee for the kicker!!!

SU Jag
January 25th, 2006, 11:20 AM
The whole article is rather stoopid. Hell, if he wasn't offered, he simply was deciding where to freakin' walk on.

It is way easier to walk on at a Division 2 or D-3 school than it is at a place like Iowa. Hell its even easier to walk on at a Division 1-AA team! Play time is everything! It doesnt matter what type of big venue that you're playing in if you're not out there on the field! I would much rather walk-on at a "smaller school" and get a chance to play than walk-on at a bigger school and sit the pine!

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 11:40 AM
It is way easier to walk on at a Division 2 or D-3 school than it is at a place like Iowa. Hell its even easier to walk on at a Division 1-AA team! Play time is everything! It doesnt matter what type of big venue that you're playing in if you're not out there on the field! I would much rather walk-on at a "smaller school" and get a chance to play than walk-on at a bigger school and sit the pine!

Jag,
He could have different academic plans than a I-AA or II could offer, too. Good point, though.

Knowing what I know now, I would not play football, but, instead go into modeling, go to Spring Break at some dude ranch, and chase I-A tail like they weren't gonna make any more.

http://frank.blogs.com/life/images/bollywoodcowboymc.jpg

Ivytalk
January 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Jag,
He could have different academic plans than a I-AA or II could offer, too. Good point, though.

Knowing what I know now, I would not play football, but, instead go into modeling, go to Spring Break at some dude ranch, and chase I-A tail like they weren't gonna make any more.

http://frank.blogs.com/life/images/bollywoodcowboymc.jpg

What kind of frickin' photo is that? Karl Rove meets Brokeback Mountain??

Cap'n Cat
January 25th, 2006, 01:44 PM
What kind of frickin' photo is that? Karl Rove meets Brokeback Mountain??

I didn't make no distinction 'bout male or female tail, IT.

xazzx

bobcatfan06
January 25th, 2006, 09:48 PM
How much ya'll want to bet he ends up transferring to a I-AA in the future, because his butt never got in the game at Iowa. I'd put 20 bucks on it.

SU Jag
January 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM
How much ya'll want to bet he ends up transferring to a I-AA in the future, because his butt never got in the game at Iowa. I'd put 20 bucks on it.

Or a D-2 school! I smell Slippery Rock or Nebraska-Omaha all over this one!