PDA

View Full Version : James Madison @ Virginia Tech Game Thread

JmuSkinsfan
September 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I think we all know this will not be too close ... but what the heck. This is, barring any injuries, a win-win situation for JMU. Tech is paying us $400k + to play them. Noone is realistically expecting JMU to do any better than get blown out. If JMU can keep this within a few scores, we come out looking pretty good. In the miraculous situation that we pull an App State and win, or even take it to the wire, we come out on top. If we get blown out ... well, that was expected and no harm done (Like I said, barring injuries).

Dignan
September 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
This won't be pretty but I'll be watching it anyway.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 8th, 2010, 11:38 AM
This won't be pretty but I'll be watching it anyway.

True, the game will not be close and we may not even score. I just hope we don't come away with any injuries.

Go Dukes

Cocky
September 8th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Believe me you never know you could be the next JSU.

Dignan
September 8th, 2010, 12:57 PM

You guys beat Ole Miss, right? I think Va Tech is a much tougher nut to crack. We almost did it last year against Maryland, but this year I don't really see any chance.

SideLine Shooter
September 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
You guys beat Ole Miss, right? I think Va Tech is a much tougher nut to crack. We almost did it last year against Maryland, but this year I don't really see any chance.

That may be the understatement of the year.

JMad03
September 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM
The truth is- VT needs this game more than we do. They're coming off a heartbreaking loss. A loss doesn't hurt us either way. I really want us to be competitive in this game (which is doubtful based on our FBS history- especially against VT), but more importantly we just need to get out of this game without injuries. I want to see improvement and hope the players learn from this game.

JSU02
September 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM
The set up you guys have against VT is almost identical to the one we had on Florida State: Monday night game between 2 ranked teams, nationally televised, heart breaking loss. Now all you need to do is pray for a tater-soaker to pop up right after kick off to clear the stadium and quiet the fans and the stage will be set!

Cocky
September 8th, 2010, 02:40 PM

You never know, VT would be a mid level SEC team.

jimbo65
September 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Best of Luck. VT likely will be keyed up after loss to Boise St. NY Post columnist recently blasted VT as a thug school that recruits criminals etc. Don't know if that is so overall, but the Vicks certainly fill the bill.

Retro
September 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
The truth is- VT needs this game more than we do. They're coming off a heartbreaking loss. A loss doesn't hurt us either way. I really want us to be competitive in this game (which is doubtful based on our FBS history- especially against VT), but more importantly we just need to get out of this game without injuries. I want to see improvement and hope the players learn from this game.

MYTH #1 There is no proof that an FCS team suffers more injuries playing an FBS team than it does any other week.... Yes, the FBS has more depth, but the injury perception is just that!

JMad03
September 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
MYTH #1 There is no proof that an FCS team suffers more injuries playing an FBS team than it does any other week.... Yes, the FBS has more depth, but the injury perception is just that!

I wasn't trying to imply that playing an FBS team would cause more injuries. I just want to make it out of the game without any. Last week against Morehead State we lost Thorpe and Dudzik is known to be injury prone. Just wouldn't be good to not only lose the game (that doesn't mean much in the long run), but have some key injuries as well.

jmufan999
September 8th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I wasn't trying to imply that playing an FBS team would cause more injuries. I just want to make it out of the game without any.

i was kinda wondering where that perceived implication came from also..... :)

definitely our priority should be:
1.) suffer as few injuries as possible
2.) try to be as competitive as possible

Cocky
September 8th, 2010, 03:55 PM
definitely our priority should be:
1.) suffer as few injuries as possible
2.) try to be as competitive as possible

Real #1.) WIN

heath
September 8th, 2010, 04:30 PM
heard Coach Matthews on the radio this afternoon and he said other than the RB Williams and QB Taylor he thought his team was just as talented. If they could stop the big plays and make Tech earn it, they would be OK. No shortage of swagger or confidence in Harrisonburg. Realistically speaking, a 14 point loss would be a moral victory.

jmufan999
September 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Real #1.) WIN

i'd much rather have a team fully healthy than win and have our QB out for the year. staying healthy is more important in a non-conference game.

heath
September 8th, 2010, 04:45 PM
JMUs O-line is a little banged up,... did Q Hunter play against Morehead ST? The Dukes will need all its playmakers on the field Saturday.

JMUNJ08
September 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM
This is just a great opportunity for our guys to play against the other instate school who passed over them and show them they easily could have been at the next level. ESPN3 will be up at my place the whole time wishing I could have at least been at the tailgate....

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM
You never know, VT would be a mid level SEC team.

VT absolutely stomped an SEC team tied for 3rd in the conference in their bowl game last year. And VT is better this year.

Keenan
September 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
HATE
JMU<VT

Go Dukes (at least this week)

theasushow
September 8th, 2010, 11:09 PM
they just need to go relax and have fun, Lane Stadium is one of the best stadiums in the nation to play in, especially for 400k.

T-Dog
September 8th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Knowing how Mickey coaches in FBS games, VaTech will pull away.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 9th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Given that our backup QB is out 6 weeks, Mickey will have QB Drew Dudzik simply hand the ball off 3x then punt to save him for games that matter to him. We have the skill players to make this game at least a little interesting, but I don't think MM will allow those players to shine.

Our D will be solid, but by the 2nd half too tired to make a difference. I see a few big plays for Tech, but an otherwise respectable showing for JMU given the circumstances.

It's sad. With such a short week for VT and a game under JMU's belt, this could have been the opportunity to shock the world. Won't happen though with MM and an O-line that is Swiss Cheese right now. xsmhx

Cocky
September 11th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I think we all know this will not be too close ... but what the heck. This is, barring any injuries, a win-win situation for JMU. Tech is paying us $400k + to play them. Noone is realistically expecting JMU to do any better than get blown out. If JMU can keep this within a few scores, we come out looking pretty good. In the miraculous situation that we pull an App State and win, or even take it to the wire, we come out on top. If we get blown out ... well, that was expected and no harm done (Like I said, barring injuries).

Snowbirding

GaSouthern
September 11th, 2010, 04:13 PM
It's sad. With such a short week for VT and a game under JMU's belt, this could have been the opportunity to shock the world. Won't happen though with MM and an O-line that is Swiss Cheese right now. xsmhx

What was that? :D

Dignan
September 11th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Well, I suck but fortunately it looks like JMU doesn't! Way to go Dukes!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Another FCS win over a ranked FBS team...second in 3 years after it never happened before that. Congrats JMU!!

JaxSinfonian
September 11th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Sitting in a rain-soaked JSU Stadium waiting for the game to start. Congrats to the Dukes! I'm we got our win last week so we didn't have to share the spotlight. I think JMU's feat may have been a little more impressive.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 12th, 2010, 12:29 AM
What was that? :D

Ha! This is one day I will gladly eat some crow - and the JSU fan has been right all along - congrats on your vision and sticking to your guns amidst us skeptics! xcoolx

JmuSkinsfan
September 12th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Holy Hellllll. I had NO idea when I started this thread that this would happen. Ahhhhhh

Very Short President
September 12th, 2010, 03:43 AM
Dolley is all over me! Gotta go make some JMU babies!

ur2k
September 12th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Congrats JMUers

xthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
September 12th, 2010, 04:34 PM

A true JMU fan!xhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayxxhurrayx

caribbeanhen
September 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Given that our backup QB is out 6 weeks, Mickey will have QB Drew Dudzik simply hand the ball off 3x then punt to save him for games that matter to him. We have the skill players to make this game at least a little interesting, but I don't think MM will allow those players to shine.

Our D will be solid, but by the 2nd half too tired to make a difference. I see a few big plays for Tech, but an otherwise respectable showing for JMU given the circumstances.

I bet your happy you were so wrong...