PDA

View Full Version : Montana easing its way into the playoffs?

HappyAppy13
September 8th, 2010, 08:55 AM
With the first game played against Western (really? you were that scared you were going to lose the first game?), it seems as if the Grizz are trying to ease their way into the playoffs with a weak schedule. Maybe it's just me, i don't know.
How do you guys see it? Do you think they're easing in, or are they getting there legitimately? (and yes, i know a win is a win...but against quality opponents??)

whitey
September 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Smack? Wins against D2s basically don't count towards the 7 needed for at-large playoff eligibility. Montana isn't padding their schedule.

JSU02
September 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
All they were doing was finding the cheapest team they could find so that they could make the most profit on the 25K tickets they sold.

Hellgate60
September 8th, 2010, 09:24 AM
So are all the other teams who scheduled DII teams easing their way into the playoffs?

biggie
September 8th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Think this is more of the fact they got rewarded for playing them and are number 1 now and based on their schedule, probably won't lose a game and therefore remain number 1 the rest of the regular season.

GtFllsGriz
September 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Darn, you figured it out HappyAppy13. The plan is to play DII and NAIA games all the way to the playoffs in preparation to play Appy. Obviously they are good warmups for such a contest. Get serious. You will not see Western State on the schedule again. The contract has been fullfilled. Next year it is TN. But I am glad that you are spending time trying to figure out how the Griz get to the playoffs every year.

gbhmt
September 8th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Think this is more of the fact they got rewarded for playing them and are number 1 now and based on their schedule, probably won't lose a game and therefore remain number 1 the rest of the regular season.

And? A one seed is no better than a two seed in the playoffs...xeyebrowx

UNH Fanboi
September 8th, 2010, 10:08 AM
I think it's fair to say that Montana has already clinched a 1 or 2 seed and home field advantage through the playoffs. Too bad they'll still lose to the CAA in the finals. Maybe it's UNH's turn this year xsmiley_wix

biggie
September 8th, 2010, 10:24 AM
And? A one seed is no better than a two seed in the playoffs...xeyebrowx
I'm sure everyone just thinks they should have to have some sort of test before getting in the playoffs, though even if they played a decent team and lost they'd still get in. Right now even if someone on their sched somehow beat them they'd still get in and probably as a 4-5 seed.

Native
September 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
If Montana had consistently failed in the first, second or third rounds over the past several years, the schedule might be a valid criticism. But since 2000, the Grizz have won 18 of 27 post season games.

It might be possible in some cases for an FCS team to get to the playoffs with the help of a weak schedule, but it is impossible for a weak team to get past the first round.

Bam
September 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I would say getting OOC FCS schools to play the Griz is a b*tch.

UNH Fanboi
September 8th, 2010, 10:45 AM
If Montana had consistently failed in the first, second or third rounds over the past several years, the schedule might be a valid criticism. But since 2000, the Grizz have won 18 of 27 post season games.

It might be opossible in some cases for an FCS team to get to the playoffs with the help of a weak schedule, but it is impossible for a weak team to get past the first round.

I agree that Montana has deserved to be in the playoffs almost every year of their current run, but I do think that they have gotten more home games (and gone deeper in the playoffs as a result) than they would have if they had had more difficult schedules.

son-of-info
September 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Wow, this subject gets brought up earlier every year. Glad that you guys are conceding us a playoff seed tho. xsmiley_wix

theasushow
September 8th, 2010, 10:54 AM
arent they playing app or mcneese next year? too lazy to look but if i remember right there is a contract to that effect.

Ronbo
September 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Jim O'Day said he mailed out invites to all CAA and Southern Conference teams two years ago for a home and home and only App. State responded. Let's keep the critisizm from anyone but App. State to a minimum.xnonox

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 8th, 2010, 11:18 AM
arent they playing app or mcneese next year? too lazy to look but if i remember right there is a contract to that effect.

We play at Tennesee to open the season next year, we then have a home and home set up with App St. beginning in Boone the following year. Down the road we also have a home and home set up with McNeese. Also, as has been brought up before, it isn't as easy for the Griz to schedule quality OOC as it may be for other schools. Among other things, there are fewer teams out west, travel costs are higher, and we make a good chunk of change at our home games.

Silenoz
September 8th, 2010, 11:32 AM
With the first game played against Western (really? you were that scared you were going to lose the first game?), it seems as if the Grizz are trying to ease their way into the playoffs with a weak schedule. Maybe it's just me, i don't know.
How do you guys see it? Do you think they're easing in, or are they getting there legitimately? (and yes, i know a win is a win...but against quality opponents??)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't App State playing Jacksonville this week? A non-scholly school. If anyone is cheating the system, it's teams who schedule body bag games that DO count towards playoff eligibility *coughApp&MontanaStatecough* ;)

'neers80
September 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many of those 18 wins were at home? Montana has one of the best home fields in the FCS. so if they can play lesser opponents during the regular season and maintain a #1 or #2 ranking, that weighs heavy in their favor. For example, if app had not played mcneese st last year and would have played a cupcake, we could have earned a 1 or 2 seed and have played at home until the championship. either way montana is a top notch program year in and out, but it would be nice to see them play teams like tennessee every year. it would be good for the fcs bc montana could knock off a few fbs teams.

BearIt
September 8th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Based on their schedule, probably won't lose a game and therefore remain number 1 the rest of the regular season.

Wow, So if Montana starts the season ranked #2 in the nation and wins every single game is that not a good criteria for being #1.

It seems like some App State fans are still butt hurt from last year. I can't believe it's one game into the season and you people are already *****ing about this.

For what it's worth, outside of Florida I don't see a single team on App State's schedule that would beat the Griz. Let me know how that Florida game works out for you.

BearIt
September 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't App State playing Jacksonville this week? A non-scholly school. If anyone is cheating the system, it's teams who schedule body bag games that DO count towards playoff eligibility *coughApp&MontanaStatecough* ;)

They are playing Jacksonville and North Carolina Central who went 4-7 in the MEAC last year. Talk about a weak azz schedule. The only ranked team they will face all season is Elon. Meanwhile, the griz have 3 top 25 teams they will have to face.

But I guess after they get stomped by Florida they can still thump their chest about how they are "battle tested."

SIU_Phatty
September 8th, 2010, 11:54 AM
It might be opossible in some cases for an FCS team to get to the playoffs with the help of a weak schedule, but it is impossible for a weak team to get past the first round.
It's not that difficult to get past the first round if you are matched up with an automatic qualifier from a weak conference. Second round games are usually where the rubber meets the road in the playoffs.

'neers80
September 8th, 2010, 11:56 AM
It seems like some App State fans are still butt hurt from last year. I can't believe it's one game into the season and you people are already *****ing about this.

For what it's worth, outside of Florida I don't see a single team on App State's schedule that would beat the Griz. Let me know how that Florida game works out for you.[/QUOTE][/I]

That's one more big game every year than what you play until next year. Plus our conference schedule may not have a montana in it, but we sure do have a lot stronger conference than you do - it would be interesting if you took montana and app out of the conversation and matched up the socon vs the big sky what the outlook would be. and btw the CAA has the toughest conference out there which is probably why they make it to the national championship every year.

I don't disagree that montana is a strong football powerhouse, but for years you haven't been able to defend the weak schedule you play.

Silenoz
September 8th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'm confused, a Delaware/James Madison fan usually has the honor of making this thread. Something is afoot

Dignan
September 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm confused, a Delaware/James Madison fan usually has the honor of making this thread. Something is afoot

What are we going to say? We just stomped on a non-schollie FCS team.

Dignan
September 8th, 2010, 12:01 PM
[edit] Dunno why it posted twice.

BearIt
September 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
It's not that difficult to get past the first round if you are matched up with an automatic qualifier from a weak conference. Second round games are usually where the rubber meets the road in the playoffs.

That's true in the East, but not so much in the West because of regionalization. Last year #1 seed Montana played SDSU while #2 seed Villanova played Holy Cross and #3 seed SIU played Eastern Illinois.

Who had the toughest 1st round opponent? With the Big South and NEC getting auto bids this year it is only going to get more lop sided with the east getting easier games compared to the west.

UNH Fanboi
September 8th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of those 18 wins were at home? Montana has one of the best home fields in the FCS. so if they can play lesser opponents during the regular season and maintain a #1 or #2 ranking, that weighs heavy in their favor.

Montana's All-time playoff stats:

1. Montana is 27-6 in home playoff games.

2. Montana is 2-8 in road playoff games. The two wins were the semifinal win at JMU in 2008 and the 1995 Championship game against Marshall, which was played at Marshall.

3. Montana is 1-4 in neutral-site championship games.

4. During Montana's current 17-year playoff streak, they've had home field advantage in the first round 15 out of those 17 years. During that span they went 10-5 at home and 0-2 on the road. They haven't had been outside of Montana in the 1st round since 1998.

5. Montana is 17-1 in quarterfinal and semifinal games at home. The only loss was to UMass in 2006. They are 1-4 in quarterfinal and semifinal games on the road (the lone win being the aforementioned win against JMU in 2008).

And to answer your question, 16 of those 18 wins were at home.

BearIt
September 8th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Plus our conference schedule may not have a montana in it, but we sure do have a lot stronger conference than you do - it would be interesting if you took montana and app out of the conversation and matched up the socon vs the big sky what the outlook would be.

Is that why the Big Sky has 4 ranked teams VS the So Cons 2?

I don't disagree that montana is a strong football powerhouse, but for years you haven't been able to defend the weak schedule you play

I would agree with you if this was the bowl system, but this is a playoff system. 5 national championship appearances in the last decade proves you are wrong. You don't get to the NC game because you can't defend a weak schedule. Granted we haven't shown we were the absolute best team in the nation in those games, but we certainly showed that we could back up our record.

You people are ridiculous.

uofmman1122
September 8th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Uh oh~ It's that time again~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwGFalTRHDA

SpeedkingATL
September 8th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Montana has some of the same scheduling problems App State does, only worst. (1)Their location makes for difficult and often expensive travel to play there.(2)Most FCS schools will avoid traveling there as the Griz seldom lose at home.(3)Not many quality programs near them outside of BSC and that problem just got worse with the Great West gone.(4)They make a ton on money on home games so why travel to a lot of BCS type schools for the same financial gain and risk losing and injury. (5) Their formula has kept them playing mostly home games in the playoffs for years so why mess with it. They appear to be making some changes to the formula with games at UTenn and App and against McNeese in future years. A move to FBS will be required to get a lot of quality opponents to Montana via home and home deals.

clearthinker
September 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM

2. Montana is 2-8 in road playoff games. The two wins were the semifinal win at JMU in 2008 and the 1995 Championship game against Marshall, which was played at Marshall.

4. During Montana's current 17-year playoff streak, they've had home field advantage in the first round 15 out of those 17 years. During that span they went 10-5 at home and 0-2 on the road. They haven't had been outside of Montana in the 1st round since 1998.

5. Montana is 17-1 in quarterfinal and semifinal games at home. The only loss was to UMass in 2006. They are 1-4 in quarterfinal and semifinal games on the road (the lone win being the aforementioned win against JMU in 2008).

GAME-SET-MATCH Arguments over----Montana homies lost this one

catbob
September 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM
The fact is, strength of schedule is not a huge factor at this level for the playoffs, and especially with the expanded field. If you know you are top 3 preseason year in and year out, you could schedule the weakest OOC you could imagine and still get a seed. That is how our division works, and out west there is just enough enough FCS teams to schedule, and it just got worse. It is a combination of no penalty for playing weak OOC, and no quality teams to play.

East coast teams take for granted the fact they can bus pretty much anywhere for an OOC game. Even MSU and UM are an hour and a half apart, and the next closest is down in Idaho.

biggie
September 8th, 2010, 01:25 PM
They are playing Jacksonville and North Carolina Central who went 4-7 in the MEAC last year. Talk about a weak azz schedule. The only ranked team they will face all season is Elon. Meanwhile, the griz have 3 top 25 teams they will have to face.

But I guess after they get stomped by Florida they can still thump their chest about how they are "battle tested."
Chatty may be ranked after this week and wouldn't surprise anyone if another SoCon team is ranked later in the season. That would be 3 FCS ranked teams and Florida. No one under FCS level.

KAUMASS
September 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I've been hearing this arguement for years and it makes me laugh. The real truth and bottom line here is that Montana year in and year out is a good team. They would be rated in the top 33% of the CAA and SoCon every year.(give or take a few % either way) They have great crowds, why would you not want to play in front of that atmosphere? (besides the travel part). The thing that hurts Montana the last few years is that when they face a team the calibur of a top rated CAA or SoCon team in the playoffs, the CAA or SoCon team has played 7-8 playoff worthy teams b4 the playoffs began and Montana has played 3-5 playoff calibur teams. Yes, Montana is playing Tennesee next year, and App the next year. Great scheduling, love to see that. I expect Montana to jump to FBS in the next few years anyhow.

Silenoz
September 8th, 2010, 01:59 PM
GAME-SET-MATCH Arguments over----Montana homies lost this one

Um, what? None of those stats should be news to anyone. Hell he's posted that EXACT post at least several times.

1) Obviously we play the first round at home every year. Like every "rich" team
2) Winning on the road is hard. Winning on the road against a playoff team in the quarters or semis means beating a top 8 or 4 team, obviously super hard

People sure ***** about having to go to Montana. If App wanted that home game they should of taken care of business at home vs McNeese. Weber should of taken care of EWU. South Dakota St should of taken care of SIU and Cal Poly. Etc, etc. People make their own beds

WileECoyote06
September 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Just wanted to bring some clarity. We did not play a MEAC schedule last year. We were just admitted to the MEAC over the summer and pick up conference play in 2011.

BearIt
September 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM

1. App State is 19-4 in home playoff games.

2. App State won 4 out of 10 road playoff games. The wins were 2009 @ richmond, 2000 at Troy State and Western Kentucky and 1994 at New Hampshire.

3. App State is 3-0 in neutral-site championship games.xsmileyclapx

4. During the past Decade App state's only playoff road losses have been to Montana. (which explains why an App State fan started this thread.)

5. App State is 7-3 in quarterfinal and semifinal games at home. They are 2-7 in quarterfinal and semifinal games on the road (Western Kentucky 2000 and Richmond 2009). Which is very similar statistcally to 1-4.

During App State's championship winning streak, every single playoff game was a home game.

Out side of the championship game the Stats are very similar between Montana and App State.

One difference is that App State has never won a Semi Final or Championship game on the road, but Montana has done both.

biggie
September 8th, 2010, 02:20 PM
During App State's championship winning streak, every single playoff game was a home game.

Though some of those games were due to 'luck' and not because of being seeded. Such as when all the seeds on your side of the bracket lose the first weekend.

BearIt
September 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Though some of those games were due to 'luck' and not because of being seeded. Such as when all the seeds on your side of the bracket lose the first weekend.

The same has happened to Montana. I don't know the number off top of my head, but we've had a few playoff runs that stayed home because the seeded teams in our side of the bracket lost. Not Montana's fault. It had nothing to do with their schedule, but people want to blame it on our scheduling. Other teams need to do a better job of taking care of business at home if they want Montana to go on the road in the playoffs more often.

Uncle Rico's Clan
September 8th, 2010, 02:56 PM
1. App State is 19-4 in home playoff games.

2. App State is 4-10 in road playoff games. The wins were 2009 @ richmond, 2000 at Troy State and Western Kentucky and 1994 at New Hampshire.

3. App State is 3-3 in neutral-site championship games.xsmileyclapx

4. During the past Decade App state's only playoff road losses have been to Montana. (which explains why an App State fan started this thread.)

5. App State is 7-3 in quarterfinal and semifinal games at home. They are 2-7 in quarterfinal and semifinal games on the road (Western Kentucky 2000 and Richmond 2009). Which is very similar statistcally to 1-4.

Out side of the championship game the Stats are very similar between Montana and App State.

One difference is that App State has never won a Semi Final or Championship game on the road, but Montana has done both.

This is beautiful, I was about to start to look up this info and BearIt beat me to it. The only thing I would want to add is that if you look at any teams playoff records they are most likely going to have a better home record than away record. That's the whole point of EARNING home field ADVANTAGE, you are rewarded well for winning throughout the regular season. Any team who has a lot of post season games will fit into this pattern, if someone looks at Youngstown, McNeese, Georgia Southern, Southern Illinois, they probably have more home playoff wins than losses, and more road playoff losses than wins.

biggie
September 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Other teams need to do a better job of taking care of business at home if they want Montana to go on the road in the playoffs more often.
Believe that's kind of the point of this arguement.

ValleyChamp
September 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Easy home non-con games against crappy teams. Fly through a mediocre Big Sky.

Its a yearly tradition.xcoffeex

BearIt
September 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM
There have been several arguements made in this thread
I will pick on App state because it is mainly their people making the arguement. I would pick on UNH, but they don't have enough playoff history to discuss:

1. Montana is easing their way into the playoffs by their weak schedule which was proven wrong. If Montana wins all their games and App State wins all theirs and loses to Florida. Montana will have more quality wins. (3 ranked teams vs 1 ranked team). If App state beats Florida I will concede this point.

2. Montana's playoff success is only because they play at home. I think I just demonstrated that is also the case for App State.

3. Montana only gets home playoff games because of their weak schedule. Wrong again. There have been multiple season that Montana played at home because the higher seeded team couldn't get the job done in round 1 (including the 1995 championship). Montana's regular schedule has nothing to do with a team on the other side of the country losing a playoff game at home. Now if you argue that Montana gets so many home playoff games because the pay more money, then you have an arguement. Play off home games have nothing to do with the regular season schedule.

Saint3333
September 8th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Looks like ASU is better statistically on the road 29% vs. 17%. i'm sure it is just a typo, but ASU is 3-0 not 3-3 at neutral sites.

srgrizizen
September 8th, 2010, 04:25 PM
This thread is an annual tradition and totally boring by now, but it is usually triggered by some UM fan bragging about the success of the program and getting a deserved reminder of some of the factors helping with the record. This time it is an ASU fan apparently still smarting from last year's loss in Missoula followed up primarily by fans of other schools that have lost in Missoula. Maybe in the future with the addition of Cal Poly and Davis the BSC will be viewed as slightly less fluffy. Meanwhile, even some of the CAA fans seem to recognize that this argument has been somewhat overstated/run into the ground.

FCS Go!
September 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
It's kind of pathetic to see an App. fan start to sandbag for their team by playing the "Montana's schedule is weak" line with the implication that App should get a higher seed/pole position in the playoffs, though it is noted that you're a noob and probably don't know any better.

Don't worry Happy13, App will be just fine. A great comeback win against an improving UTC team is no reason to panic. It's only Week 2 of the season for crying out loud! FWIW App would probably have to lose 4 games to be kept out of the expanded playoff field. You'll get your home game this year. Now run along and start researching the powerhouses that are Jacksonville and NCC, I'm sure App will have their hands full over the next couple of weeks.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2010, 05:06 PM
It's always fun reading these. They give me a good laugh.

Speaking of weak conference though...hasn't the BSC been ranked ahead of the SoCon in something like 6 or the last 10 yrs.?

I remember App guys talking this same **** a couple of years of go when they were playing Leann Rhymes on their home schedule and they had a multitude of excuses for that.

The better teams get the seeds, I'm not sure some of you poor App guys understand how that works so I'm happy to help ya on that. When either MT or App go on the road they are most likely playing a seed. The NCAA likes money and won't send either team on the road if they deserve a top 4 ranking.

I do love watching some of you dummies try and figure it out though.xlolx

biggie
September 8th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Beef I guess should be more with pollsters who voted MT over Nova, that's where the problem lies. Don't believe any App fan thinks we should be ranked higher at this point.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Beef I guess should be more with pollsters who voted MT over Nova, that's where the problem lies. Don't believe any App fan thinks we should be ranked higher at this point.

I doubt you'd find a lot of Montana fans that would think that Montana earned the #1 ranking based on what happened last weekend but these threads are always here to take shots at the team we like to get a rise out of some UM fans. A few bit on it but why not when combating it is so fun and easy to do.

yosef1969
September 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Only questionable thing in reality is this weeks ranking. UM and SIU benefited from weak scheduling. Not their problem and I don't fault them for it. ASU has an incredibly weak schedule this year. Some teams will probably emerge out of the SoCon but as it looks now on paper ASU's schedule is weaker than UM's, no argument on Montana's formula from this Appy. Would like to see them go back to seeding the entire field to even things out in the playoffs. SCSU shouldn't have had to go to Boone and SDSU shouldn't had to go to Missoula for round 1 last year.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Only questionable thing in reality is this weeks ranking. UM and SIU benefited from weak scheduling. Not their problem and I don't fault them for it. ASU has an incredibly weak schedule this year. Some teams will probably emerge out of the SoCon but as it looks now on paper ASU's schedule is weaker than UM's, no argument on Montana's formula from this Appy. Would like to see them go back to seeding the entire field to even things out in the playoffs. SCSU shouldn't have had to go to Boone and SDSU shouldn't had to go to Missoula for round 1 last year.

People always say that about the seeding and I would be fully behind it but the fact of the matter is the NCAA would just look at the top 4-8 teams and then seed the other teams in the "region" according to what they wanted financially. Go back and look at some of the brackets from when they were seeding all and you'll find that there is a big number of teams that somehow fell just right according to their geography.

The one thing about where we are is that we very rarely get a patsy in the first round. It is normally a highly "ranked" SLC or in last years case an MVFC or Cal Poly.

App has had to play some real staunch 1st rounders as well, but even it changes it will not change.

yosef1969
September 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
People always say that about the seeding and I would be fully behind it but the fact of the matter is the NCAA would just look at the top 4-8 teams and then seed the other teams in the "region" according to what they wanted financially. Go back and look at some of the brackets from when they were seeding all and you'll find that there is a big number of teams that somehow fell just right according to their geography.

The one thing about where we are is that we very rarely get a patsy in the first round. It is normally a highly "ranked" SLC or in last years case an MVFC or Cal Poly.

App has had to play some real staunch 1st rounders as well, but even it changes it will not change.

I know you're right. Just wishing it would be done the right way. Seed from top to bottom and reward teams home games based on performance. Just seems wrong to send folks on the road simply because they are nearby geographically to a team that has more financial resources to bid on a game, even if it has benefitted ASU.

putter
September 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Personally I think the NCAA is full of Sh@&. Montana's AD said that the school sent the NCAA about $1 million dollars while keeping $30k for the playoffs games. You can't give Montana crap when they are only playing by the rules that everyone else plays by. I would like the seeds to go by 1-20 but it never works that way because the almighty dollar rules, like it or not.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I know you're right. Just wishing it would be done the right way. Seed from top to bottom and reward teams home games based on performance. Just seems wrong to send folks on the road simply because they are nearby geographically to a team that has more financial resources to bid on a game, even if it has benefitted ASU.
In a perfect world where money doesn't matter I would agree with this...we unfortunately are not in that world. If this tournament DIDN'T have teams like App, Delaware, & Montana to support it then it would not exist in as reasonable form as it does. If this ever sees a sustained period of losing big money then you'll see a lot of changes that nobody will be happy with.

People can gripe all they want about having to go play at the big crowd teams house but the fact is they should be kissing these schools asses for supporting the tourney they play in.

Some can count on their own fans to support em' like McNeese, SDSU, and several others but a team like Villanova and Richmond get to have home games if they are good simply because the fans of our teams can be counted on to carry the water for the whole party.

theasushow
September 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM
First and foremost I will concede that ASU does have a very, very weak OOC schedule this year, and when the schedule came out I for one was disappointed in the lack of a stronger schedule. However, I feel like this year has been kind of an exception for the Mountaineers, for the past few seasons I really felt like ASU played a very strong OOC schedule and when they could have scheduled the cupcakes, they didn't.
2005-LSU , KANSAS (2 BCS teams)
2006-NC STATE, JMU
2007-MICHIGAN, NORTHERN ARIZONA
2008-LSU (defending national champs), JMU
2009-ECU, McNEESE STATE
2010-FLORIDA

so IMHO that is a pretty difficult OOC schedule, ASU didnt have to schedule any of those teams, and could have gone with the easy win d2 teams but chose not to. as i stated earlier, after all those seasons, this years schedule was a disappointment. thankfully ASU still has quality opponents like VATECH and Georgia in the future, assuming they honor their contracts.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 8th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Personally I think the NCAA is full of Sh@&. Montana's AD said that the school sent the NCAA about $1 million dollars while keeping $30k for the playoffs games. You can't give Montana crap when they are only playing by the rules that everyone else plays by. I would like the seeds to go by 1-20 but it never works that way because the almighty dollar rules, like it or not.

People give us crap because they have no stake in paying the tab. You can be pretty loose with the way things ought to be when you don't have to balance the books so they do. Of course reality doesn't matter to them so they ***** about the big schools just like welfare recipients, or otherwise low tax paying individuals ***** about rich people paying their bills.

Native
September 8th, 2010, 10:26 PM
...our conference schedule may not have a montana in it, but we sure do have a lot stronger conference than you do - it would be interesting if you took montana and app out of the conversation and matched up the socon vs the big sky what the outlook would be. ....

The SOCON is a great football conferences, but no better than the Big Sky or the MVFC. It would indeed be interesting to match 2-5 SOCON vs 2-5 Big Sky. Both conferences have a formidable lineup.

Native
September 8th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Um, what? None of those stats should be news to anyone. Hell he's posted that EXACT post at least several times.

1) Obviously we play the first round at home every year. Like every "rich" team
2) Winning on the road is hard. Winning on the road against a playoff team in the quarters or semis means beating a top 8 or 4 team, obviously super hard

People sure ***** about having to go to Montana. If App wanted that home game they should of taken care of business at home vs McNeese. Weber should of taken care of EWU. South Dakota St should of taken care of SIU and Cal Poly. Etc, etc. People make their own beds

Exactly so!

Native
September 8th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Nobody gets a top 2 seed because of a weak schedule. They earn it.

Of course it's easier for a strong team to beat an auto qualifier from a weak conference, but it is still impossible for a weak team to get past the first round.

You are correct that the second round is usually where the rubber meets the road.

Skjellyfetti
September 8th, 2010, 10:54 PM
The SOCON is a great football conferences, but no better than the Big Sky or the MVFC. It would indeed be interesting to match 2-5 SOCON vs 2-5 Big Sky. Both conferences have a formidable lineup.

It's better than the Big Sky and MVFC. The computer polls have had the SoCon ranked ahead of those two conferences every year for awhile now. The Big Sky and MVFC are much, much more top-heavy than the SoCon. The bottom of those conferences is just atrocious.

Native
September 9th, 2010, 12:38 AM
It's better than the Big Sky and MVFC. The computer polls have had the SoCon ranked ahead of those two conferences every year for awhile now. The Big Sky and MVFC are much, much more top-heavy than the SoCon. The bottom of those conferences is just atrocious.

Crawl off your high horse, skelly. Sagarin currently rates the Big Sky ahead of SOCON, whether you discount the top and bottom teams (central mean) or consider all teams equally (simple mean). Over the past five years, the SOCON and Big Sky power ratings have been roughly equivalent, with Big Sky finishing ahead of the SOCON three times, and SOCON finishing ahead of the Big Sky twice.

Current Sagarin football conference power ratings:

CONFERENCE CENTRAL MEAN SIMPLE AVERAGE TEAMS WIN50%
13 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 59.44 58.41 ( 13) 9 59.11 ( 13)
14 COLONIAL (AA)= 58.96 57.76 ( 14) 10 58.19 ( 14)
15 BIG SKY (AA)= 54.57 54.71 ( 15) 9 54.56 ( 15)
16 SOUTHERN (AA)= 53.87 54.48 ( 16) 9 54.41 ( 16)
17 GREAT WEST (AA)= 50.68 50.53 ( 17) 5 50.55 ( 17)

Sagarin football conference power ratings at the conclusion of the 2009 season:

12 COLONIAL (AA)= 59.08 59.16 ( 12) 12 59.13 ( 12)
13 SUN BELT (A) = 58.20 58.29 ( 13) 9 58.28 ( 13)
14 BIG SKY (AA)= 54.64 54.56 ( 14) 9 54.48 ( 14)
15 SOUTHERN (AA)= 53.74 54.45 ( 15) 9 54.26 ( 15)
16 GREAT WEST (AA)= 52.53 52.60 ( 16) 5 52.60 ( 16)
17 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 52.33 52.11 ( 17) 9 52.23 ( 17)

Sagarin football conference power ratings at the conclusion of the 2008 season:

12 COLONIAL (AA)= 60.84 60.64 ( 12) 12
13 SUN BELT (A) = 60.77 60.24 ( 13) 8
14 SOUTHERN (AA)= 57.08 56.48 ( 14) 9
15 BIG SKY (AA)= 53.64 54.12 ( 15) 9
16 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 49.80 49.30 ( 18) 9
17 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 49.15 49.53 ( 17) 8

Sagarin football conference power ratings at the conclusion of the 2007 season:

10 SOUTHERN (AA)= 60.50 59.92 ( 11) 8
11 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 59.54 60.06 ( 10) 12
12 COLONIAL (AA)= 59.52 59.33 ( 12) 12
13 SUN BELT (A) = 59.19 59.25 ( 13) 8
14 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 58.37 58.51 ( 14) 13
15 GATEWAY (AA)= 56.05 54.35 ( 16) 7
16 GREAT WEST (AA)= 54.99 54.75 ( 15) 5
17 PATRIOT LEAGUE (AA)= 45.91 44.39 ( 20) 7
18 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 45.46 45.48 ( 17) 8
19 BIG SKY (AA)= 44.85 45.37 ( 18) 9

Sagarin football conference power ratings at the conclusion of the 2006 season:

11 GREAT WEST (AA)= 60.82 60.24 ( 12) 5
12 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 60.33 60.45 ( 11) 12
13 SUN BELT (A) = 57.60 57.12 ( 13) 8
14 ATLANTIC 10 (AA)= 56.48 56.97 ( 14) 12
15 GATEWAY (AA)= 55.15 54.19 ( 15) 8
16 BIG SKY (AA)= 53.48 53.39 ( 16) 9
17 SOUTHERN (AA)= 49.59 50.71 ( 17) 8

Sagarin football conference power ratings at the conclusion of the 2005 season:

12 GATEWAY (AA)= 57.07 55.53 ( 12) 8
13 SUN BELT (A) = 54.45 54.22 ( 13) 8
14 BIG SKY (AA)= 53.69 52.97 ( 15) 8
15 GREAT WEST (AA)= 53.42 52.65 ( 17) 6
16 SOUTHERN (AA)= 52.79 52.93 ( 16) 8
17 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 52.60 53.40 ( 14) 7
18 ATLANTIC 10 (AA)= 51.30 51.37 ( 18) 12

TokyoGriz
September 9th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Lots of envy of the great program and tradition we have in Montana I see on this board.

Cool. You should be envious of the support of the community, the stadium, the quality team we have year in and year out, and the bright future our team has with moving on up in the cards possibly.

This post is worth a good laugh though I will give that to you. And Smack coming from an app fan is even funnier since your program is very similiar in many ways to Montana, but is about 10 years behind the current Montana program in terms of tradition, winning and growth in general.

Keep being jealous its a compliment!

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Now post Massey and GPI, native.

Sagarin is awful for FCS.

Grizzaholic
September 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Now post Massey and GPI, native.

Sagarin is awful for FCS.

GPI???!!! Now that is worthless.

boonedocks
September 9th, 2010, 11:20 AM