PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette Football Stadium Announced!!

Pard4Life
January 24th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Finally, it's here! I am giddy with glee today.. check out www.goleopards.com for info and more pics!

Lafayette Announces Major Renovations to Fisher Field
Key components of the project include new spectator seating, lights, turf, a football varsity house, and improved restroom and vending areas

Jan. 24, 2006

EASTON, Pa. - Lafayette's Fisher Field, where the College's home football games have been played since 1926, will undergo a major $23 million transformation beginning this spring that will benefit intramural and recreational programs as well as football and other varsity athletic teams. The first phase of the project is expected to be completed before the first home football game this fall.

"The generosity of John T. "Jack" Bourger '71, James R. Fisher '77, and the F. M. Kirby Foundation, Inc. is enabling us to undertake significant improvements that will have an impact not only on our athletics programs, but also for all students and the fans who attend games at Fisher Field," President Daniel H. Weiss said. The entire project will be funded by donor gifts.

"This project will complete another major portion of the master plan for Lafayette athletics. The facility will afford new opportunities for the athletic department, and the football program in particular," Director of Athletics Bruce McCutcheon said.

While a three-lane recreational jogging track will remain, a new home for Lafayette's track and field program will be constructed at the Metzgar Fields Athletic Complex as a part of the project. New spectator seating will be built throughout the venue, including chair back seating in select areas. Additional visitors seating will be added. A state-of-the-art in-fill synthetic surface, lights, and a press box will be installed, and improved restroom and vending areas will also be included. The facility will hold approximately 13,000 fans

The second stage of the two-year project features construction of a football varsity house which will include a locker room, offices, and team meeting rooms, as well as sports medicine and strength and conditioning areas. The varsity house phase of the project is slated to be completed in the fall of 2007. Additionally, a synthetic turf practice area, using the same brand of turf that will be used on the playing field, will be installed behind the visiting (north) stands. The project was designed by Clough, Harbour and Associates LLP, of Concord, Mass.

"We're extremely excited. This will continue to accelerate our program and give our fans an outstanding venue to watch championship football," said head football coach Frank Tavani, who has guided Lafayette to a share of the Patriot League championship and a berth in the I-AA playoffs in each of the last two seasons.

Erected in 1926 with a capacity of 13,750 fans, Fisher Field has been home to 388 Lafayette football games with the Leopards enjoying an overall record of 232 wins, 143 losses and 13 ties for a winning percentage of .615.

Fisher Field will host five Lafayette home games in 2006, as well as the 100th meeting between Easton and Phillipsburg on Thanksgiving Day. The Leopards will close their home schedule with the 142nd renewal of the nation's most-played college football rivalry on Saturday, Nov. 18. Lafayette won the 2005 Patriot League championship by virtue of its 23-19 win over Lehigh.

Ivytalk
January 24th, 2006, 02:32 PM
What was the last non-Lehigh game to sell out Fisher Field?

barechestcat
January 24th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Congrats! Montana State University is currently in a fundraising campaign for improvements/additions as well. It sure would be nice to get a couple of our alumni to throw in a large sum such as the three mentioned did.

BTW, did any Lafayette fans in Easton make it to the NHSCA Final Four in wrestling this past weekend?

carney2
January 24th, 2006, 02:38 PM
What was the last non-Lehigh game to sell out Fisher Field?

Every year, on Thanksgiving Day, Easton High School plays Philipsburg (NJ) High School on this neutral field. It is always a sell out. As for the last time that Lafayette had a full house without Lehigh on the opposing bench, I'm betting that you have to go back to some of those Holy Cross games in the late 80's.

carney2
January 24th, 2006, 02:39 PM
VERY excited. I take back all of the vile and evil things that I've said over the past few days.

carney2
January 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I am reading between the lines here, but it appears that everything except the new varsity house and the synthetic turf practice area to be installed behind the visiting stands will be in place for the opening game vs. Penn. Does anyone have the full story of "Phase 1" vs. "Phase 2?"

Pards Rule
January 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
YES! I AM going to the UPenn game then! Historic first game under the lights at Fisher Field. God, that thing had become an unmitigated embarrassment! What is the source of Bourger & Fisher's (coincidence or is there a link to 1926?) wealth?

Pard4Life
January 24th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Hey Ralph, if you are listening, you can finally follow through on that proposal I put forth last month... I-AA Double Dip!

Tailgate with the Lehigh people, Lehigh game... hop over to Bethlehem Breworks or another LV noted eatery... then travel on over to Fisher Field to see the Pards in the night cap!

colgate13
January 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I posted on the other thread before seeing this one....

NICE!!!! Well done Leopards, and I think its pretty cool that through a site like AGS I've come to appreciate the struggles you fans have cone through and now to see some redemption is very nice to witness. Enjoy the strides LC looks to be making and the investment they are putting into the program.

The real question is, can someone take a picture of Art's face when they tell him how much dough LC will spend on football? :D

I'm looking forward to visiting in 2007!

Pards Rule
January 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Art will probably still have that goofy grin on *sigh*

Snot Bubbles
January 24th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Very nice! I'm looking forward to the Upenn game. Any chance someone goes out and sells some sponsors for a new scoreboard with video.....I see the drawing has the old one closer to field level.......I know....I'm pushing it but why not ask the question.

Ivytalk
January 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Snot Bubbles[B]]Very nice! I'm looking forward to the Upenn game. Any chance someone goes out and sells some sponsors for a new scoreboard with video.....I see the drawing has the old one closer to field level.......I know....I'm pushing it but why not ask the question.

Where in the Sam Hill did you come up with that moniker? Eeewwww! :eyebrow:

Pards Rule
January 24th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Was thinking the same thing, Ivytalk! I agree though that the videoboard should be close to ground level as possible. Don't wanna take away that scenic view when the foliage is turning in October (or November as was the case this past year when the peak was Election Day, 2005).

Ivytalk
January 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Was thinking the same thing, Ivytalk! I agree though that the videoboard should be close to ground level as possible. Don't wanna take away that scenic view when the foliage is turning in October (or November as was the case this past year when the peak was Election Day, 2005).

I'll have to come up for the '07 Harvard game to see it!

carney2
January 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, the scoreboard. I didn't think of that. Who can tell with an artist's drawing, but it does not appear to be the old "Gift of the Class of 1960" name, rank and serial number thing that we are used to. Do you notice however that it's in the corner facing the home stands? I guess that means once again, the South Mountain Chickensquawks won't know the score.

ngineer
January 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM
FINALLY a pot to piss in! :D :hurray: I note that the plans are reducing seating from 13,750 to 13,000, yet the visitor stands appear to be expanded from the drawing and narrative. Maybe they're widening the individual seat areas considering all the fat-ass people around today. :rolleyes:
I agree that Ralph now has to do the Lehigh Valley 'Double Dip'--and he can experience the 'Double Deuce' as well :eek:

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 24th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Does anyone think this might give Lehigh some incentive to spruce up Goodman a little? The stadiums going to be 20 years old soon and i think it could use something to juice it up a little, perhaps a score board on the south end? :nod: . Lehigh did some renovations on Stabler a few years ago and that's only a few years older then Goodman.

RadMann
January 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I'll have to check out a game at LC after the renovation. My dad graduated from there and it is the closest I-AA stadium to where I live. Too bad they don't play UD.....

ngineer
January 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Where in the Sam Hill did you come up with that moniker? Eeewwww! :eyebrow:

Gotta have a youngin at home :D

LeopardFan04
January 24th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Great news!!! See you at the Penn game!

ngineer
January 24th, 2006, 10:29 PM
What date is your Penn game--is it the first game of the year or do you open on the road?

LeopardFan04
January 24th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Off hand I believe we open at Bucknell and then we are home against Penn...

ngineer
January 24th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Off hand I believe we open at Bucknell and then we are home against Penn...

Then, if the Penn game is September 9, Ralph won't be able to do the 'double dip' since we will down at Villanova that night. :(

LeopardFan04
January 24th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Nope, it's all one week later...

Sept 9: at Bucknell
Sept. 16: UPenn
Spet. 23: at Princeton
Sept. 30: Yale
Oct. 7 at Columbia
Oct. 14 at Harvard
Oct. 21 Holy Cross
Oct. 28 Colgate
Nov. 4 at Fordham
Nov. 11 Georgetwon
Nov. 18 Lehigh

Back2Back05
January 25th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I was talking to a teammate today and I heard some of the recent talk of the new facilities. One of our favorite contributors, especially recently, donated another few million dollars to ensure a small number of requests.

1.) It is strictly football in all aspects so there will be no extra lines on our field which always makes a football player happy.

2.) There will be a full width Domed/Bubble practice turf behind the visitor stands.

3.) The new building, which is also strictly football, will have a weightroom that matches the size of the current weightroom.

4.) A jumbo screen is supposedly amongst his requests as well.

As a graduating player i am very dissapointed i will not be able to enjoy these amazing additions but look forward to my return visits.

carney2
January 25th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Nope, it's all one week later...

Sept 9: at Bucknell
Sept. 16: UPenn
Spet. 23: at Princeton
Sept. 30: Yale
Oct. 7 at Columbia
Oct. 14 at Harvard
Oct. 21 Holy Cross
Oct. 28 Colgate
Nov. 4 at Fordham
Nov. 11 Georgetwon
Nov. 18 Lehigh

The Colgate game on October 28th is a misprint in the Lafayette 2005 Media Guide. The game is at Colgate. The Colgate website lists it as a home game. When in doubt (it's "we say vs. they say" based on the info available at the two websites) I use logic. Dick Biddle isn't going to give two consecutive home games to one of his biggest rivals.

colgate13
January 25th, 2006, 08:26 AM
I can't believe all of that without some additional points.

1 - Your website says differently. It says that the new Fisher "will undergo a major $23 million transformation beginning this spring that will benefit intramural and recreational programs as well as football and other varsity athletic teams". If it's field turf you can bet other teams will get on it when they can, especially in the spring. The permanent lines on the field will be just football, but I believe they can paint temporary lines on it for other sports.

2 - where exactly behind the visiting stands in this picture will the practice bubble go?

http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/lafa/galleries/Fisher_Field_Transformation/fisher_field_aerial_400-lg.jpg

Call me crazy but those look like buildings in the way of any practice facility. I also have to question the merits of a bubbled practice facility when you play every game outside. I know the website mentions a practice field, but man, where is it going?

3 - Sounds good... now when is LC going to announce the renovations to women's facilities to avoid the Title IX hounds? You can't spend that much dough on men's facilities and not improve womens, even if a donor is only giving money to the men. The college has to make it up on the women's side. I hear this all the time at Colgate: donations for women's sports don't even come close to men's and for Title IX the University has to increase incremental spending on women's sports to keep up with donations for men.

4 - I don't see why not! The last thing LC should do with a renovation like this is do anything half ass. Make it all first class all the way!

Pard94
January 25th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Oh, it is a thing of beauty! And a long time coming too. I think this certainly puts us in the upper eschelon of facilities in the PL. Perhaps the best on-campus facility in the league. Regardless, watching a game is going to be a lot more pleasant for the fans...as for the players? No more bus ride back to Metzgar after games...I can't even imagine. I'll be there for Penn! :)

Pard94
January 25th, 2006, 08:57 AM
blah blah blah (just had to get my 300th post in...as you were).

Marcus Garvey
January 25th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Is the team going to practice in the stadium too? I'm kind of confused with this "football" field house and all. I haven't been to Metzgar Fields since the late '80's and can't remember how big their football facilities are though. Anyone know anything?

Pard94
January 25th, 2006, 10:47 AM
3 - Sounds good... now when is LC going to announce the renovations to women's facilities to avoid the Title IX hounds? You can't spend that much dough on men's facilities and not improve womens, even if a donor is only giving money to the men. The college has to make it up on the women's side. I hear this all the time at Colgate: donations for women's sports don't even come close to men's and for Title IX the University has to increase incremental spending on women's sports to keep up with donations for men.

I believe this counts as an upgrade for the cheerleading squad as well. :rolleyes:

LeopardFan04
January 25th, 2006, 11:02 AM
The Colgate game on October 28th is a misprint in the Lafayette 2005 Media Guide. The game is at Colgate. The Colgate website lists it as a home game. When in doubt (it's "we say vs. they say" based on the info available at the two websites) I use logic. Dick Biddle isn't going to give two consecutive home games to one of his biggest rivals.

You are correct...meant to change that when I posted...

LeopardFan04
January 25th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Is the team going to practice in the stadium too? I'm kind of confused with this "football" field house and all. I haven't been to Metzgar Fields since the late '80's and can't remember how big their football facilities are though. Anyone know anything?

I think this would mean that the football team would practice solely at Fisher and this site behind the stands...I know some have mentioned the poor lighting at Metzgar...this would also save transporting everyone there, and preserve alot of room at Metzgar for other sports...at least that's my guess... :rolleyes:

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 11:13 AM

1 - Your website says differently. It says that the new Fisher "will undergo a major $23 million transformation beginning this spring that will benefit intramural and recreational programs as well as football and other varsity athletic teams". If it's field turf you can bet other teams will get on it when they can, especially in the spring. The permanent lines on the field will be just football, but I believe they can paint temporary lines on it for other sports.

2 - where exactly behind the visiting stands in this picture will the practice bubble go?

http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/lafa/galleries/Fisher_Field_Transformation/fisher_field_aerial_400-lg.jpg

Call me crazy but those look like buildings in the way of any practice facility. I also have to question the merits of a bubbled practice facility when you play every game outside. I know the website mentions a practice field, but man, where is it going?

4 - I don't see why not! The last thing LC should do with a renovation like this is do anything half ass. Make it all first class all the way!

I remember from talking to McCutcheon back in 2002 that a main focus all along has been to have Fisher be used for all sports programs and intramurals. I know this conflicts with what Back2Back says, but perhaps the donor meant in terms of football being the only permanent home? Certainly you could add temporary lines. Even Tavani liked the idea for using it as multi-purpose since his daughter played women's soccer at the time. As for intramurals, you could easily play flag football and field hockey on the field... just set up some cones and divide the fields. Having played some IM, it is annoying to go to Metzger for games, even though it's a nice change of scenery. The players must hate that trek even more. This way, the students wont have to worry about transit time to Metzger. I guess this would mean varsity won't practice on the field?

I agree, I am not sure where the bubble fits in that picture. And I still don't understand the plan for the turf behind the visitor stands. Even when the stands are moved foward, there still is not enough room for a respectable field. And I don't think expanding that area is an option... there is a major slope to the west, and the street on the north and west side. I guess the turf would be just a mini-practice area?

Women's facilities have to be upgraded. I've heard many of them complain and are pretty ardent about it. Storage rooms and locker rooms are very small, and McCracken looks past its age. The only major women's donor I can think of is Rappolt, who donated Rappolt Field, the field hockey and lax facility. He is a big fan of the field hockey program, but outside of him, I don't know who makes women's donations a priority.

And dare I say it, I think we are going to have the best football facility in the PL... better than 'not so Goodman anymore' Stadium. Some of the Lehigh posters have been saying that Goodman could need a renovation, but I am not sure what could be fixed, it seems fine to me.

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I attached the overhead below for a better look....

I just noticed this, and it's very subtle you can see a dotted whit rectangle in the field area.. is this a soccer field?

Also, I honestly don't see a way how a respectable practice field could be constructed behind the visitor stands.. the area is just a bit wider than the width of the space between the hash marks. I could see a possiblity if the visitor stands were temporary, but I don't think they are. Just a quick note, this pic is to scale, it is a drawing imposed on top of a satellite or goggle earth picture... so lengthening the area is not an option.

Not sure I like where the scoreboard is. It's nice for the home fans, but what about the visitor stands? They can't see too well, and what about the older alums who watch from inside the glass windows of Kirby? A better place would be right on top of the field house.. the same spot now, only higher.

Is the press box a bit far away? I guess we won't know until we actually step inside. It's positioned on top of the current bathrooms. And speaking of.. it looks longer.. maybe some built in concession stands? Those Lehigh people can't complain now.. two nice grass squares on the side of their stands.

Are those seatbacks ballpark like seats? Or metal bleachers with backs? And are they going to be painted red like in the picture?

I really like the idea they kept a recreational track. Alot of students complained that they were taking it out. I am very happy they had everyone in mind when they thought of this project. Also like alot of green they have around the concourse, and have left plenty of walkway space for tents and such.

And this is more like a wish, but how about build a full second level on top of the bathrooms? Add a luxury suite on either side of the press box... or just make the press box very roomie, with bathrooms and a kitchen like Princeton's box.

Pard94
January 25th, 2006, 11:39 AM
The players must hate that trek even more.

While it didn't seem so at the time, it was almost comical how much your typical football player HATED Metzgar. Not that the conditions were bad or anything. Simply put, Metgar was the symbol of all things evil...a.k.a "double sessions". There was nothing worse in the world than finishing the morning practice at Metzgar, going back to campus for lunch and maybe a quick nap in an Air Conditioned room, only to get back on the bust to Metzgar in 95 degree weather for a 2nd 3 hour session. I distincly remeber the long walk up the Metzgar driveway and thinking, "I am descending into hell".

I remember sitting in that dank locker room when I was a freshman. As I was putting on the still sweaty knee braces as we all got ready for a greuling 2nd session. I asked the senior O-lineman sitting next to me, "Does this every get any better"? He looked me in the eye and simply said, "no" and walked out of the locker room. And he was right.

Farewell Metgar Fields. if I never see you again it will be too soon!

carney2
January 25th, 2006, 12:04 PM
I attached the overhead below for a better look....

Is there anyplace that this "overhead" is available in a better copy? The one at goleopards.com is this same quality. There are apparently printed descriptions that, like the dotted lines that show a soccer-like configuration, are nearly invisible.

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Is there anyplace that this "overhead" is available in a better copy? The one at goleopards.com is this same quality. There are apparently printed descriptions that, like the dotted lines that show a soccer-like configuration, are nearly invisible.

Not that I know of... I hope they have these drawings and more on display in the Kirby lobby for upcoming Lafayette bball games, and for Lafayette Football ring day at halftime.

carney2
January 25th, 2006, 12:12 PM
The naysayers have begun to surface. The only objections that I have heard are (1) night games can get awfully cold, and (2) those aluminum bleacher type seats will be colder than the old wooden slats. If that's the best they can do, they should stuff a sock in it, learn how to dress appropriately and bring a cushion.

Marcus Garvey
January 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
The naysayers have begun to surface. The only objections that I have heard are (1) night games can get awfully cold, and (2) those aluminum bleacher type seats will be colder than the old wooden slats. If that's the best they can do, they should stuff a sock in it, learn how to dress appropriately and bring a cushion.

I don't see many night games being played. Maybe one a season in Sept., if that. Unless there's a serious increase in attendance for night games, there's no reason to play them. Why incur the electricity costs? I assumed the lights would be for soccer, field hocky, lacrosse and intramural sports. That's how Muhlenberg uses the lights at their stadium. I don't believe they've ever played a night football game since installing them in '99.

I'm betting the "Chair back seats" will be similar to those at Goodman which don't fold like seats at a baseball park.

Anybody have any pics of "Old" Fisher Field. I mean before the Kirby Center was built and they tore out the original north (visitor) grandstand. I believe that grandstand was nearly as big as the home side.

Go...gate
January 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
It will be a beautiful facility in a great setting. Well done, Lafayette!

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Are these naysayers old women and old men? Weak arguements... :rolleyes:

The place is what we've dreamed of for so long.

carney2
January 25th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Are these naysayers old women and old men? Weak arguements... :rolleyes:

The place is what we've dreamed of for so long.

I first met the guy who made those statements when he was 18. He was the proverbial olde farte already.

colgate13
January 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I don't see many night games being played. Maybe one a season in Sept., if that. Unless there's a serious increase in attendance for night games, there's no reason to play them.

I can see one maybe two September home night games... but I can also see a later start than 12-1 pm later in the fall. With lights, you can do 3 or 4 o'clock starts. If attendance is up with a later start, or a TV station will carry the game because of it, I'd fiddle with the schedule if I was AD.

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I can see one maybe two September home night games... but I can also see a later start than 12-1 pm later in the fall. With lights, you can do 3 or 4 o'clock starts. If attendance is up with a later start, or a TV station will carry the game because of it, I'd fiddle with the schedule if I was AD.

Also this might put a feather in our cap regarding a playoff bid if our team is having a distinguished season. Lights afford us some flexibility, especially regarding TV. I don't know who else would pick us up aside from LSN and CSTV. Lehigh game time should still be 12:30 though.

And maybe could we even host some PIAA playoff games??

carney2
January 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Anybody have any pics of "Old" Fisher Field. I mean before the Kirby Center was built and they tore out the original north (visitor) grandstand. I believe that grandstand was nearly as big as the home side.

I hope that you come up with a picture, but I'm betting that it won't be easy. The visiting stands at the original Fisher Field were in the shape of a reverse L. The high part of the L was, indeed as high as the home stands (50+ rows), but the low part was less than half that high. I can't remember for certain, but the entire configuration was not very large - maybe extending between the 35's. The seating capacity was - and memory may be failing me here - in the 17,000 - 18,000 range.

Did anyone else ever notice how much Fisher Field resembles the now gone and largely forgotten Pitt Stadium? Was this the Jock Sutherland influence? Who knows. Anyway, the stadiums were about the same height and of the same basic construction. The ugly subterranian portions of Fisher Field (which I pray will be gone in the new face lift) are exactly the same as that under Pitt Stadium before the first of its renovations. The Pittsburgh facility was, of course, a complete bowl seating 57,000, and having once held 76,000 for a game against Vince Lombardi's Fordham Rams, but the similarities always struck me as more than coincidence. Both were built in the same era.

colgate13
January 25th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Also this might put a feather in our cap regarding a playoff bid if our team is having a distinguished season. Lights afford us some flexibility, especially regarding TV. I don't know who else would pick us up aside from LSN and CSTV. Lehigh game time should still be 12:30 though.

Start putting 10K plus in the stands as an average, and yes, you might get a playoff game. That, or go 11-0!

Either way, at least you have options now.

Even with some games starting at 12:30, if the game is slow and goes into OT, light can be an issue in November. Lights eliminate that. They also allow some flexibilty with practice in the fall and spring.

Marcus Garvey
January 25th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Possibly, if Easton High were in the playoffs and they wanted a "neutral" site that's close to home. But the high school stadia in Allentown and Bethlehem already give the Lehigh Valley enough venues for PIAA playoffs.

In the early 90's, Lehigh used to host games, but that hasn't happend in awhile. I suppose the PIAA pushing artificial turf fields for post-season was the main reason.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 25th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Start putting 10K plus in the stands as an average, and yes, you might get a playoff game. That, or go 11-0!

Either way, at least you have options now.

Even with some games starting at 12:30, if the game is slow and goes into OT, light can be an issue in November. Lights eliminate that. They also allow some flexibilty with practice in the fall and spring.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the lights would make Lafayette the only PL stadium with lights? And, yes, the new facility would make Lafayette a reasonable choice for a playoff game.

I also think that the new stadium will create a lot more buzz around the program that had been before. Overall, it's very good for the league :hurray:

However... :eyebrow: ... better than Goodman? Let's get realistic people. When it comes to stadiums, this will put Fisher at #2.... SQUARELY behind Goodman. :asswhip:

Pard4Life
January 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the lights would make Lafayette the only PL stadium with lights? And, yes, the new facility would make Lafayette a reasonable choice for a playoff game.

I also think that the new stadium will create a lot more buzz around the program that had been before. Overall, it's very good for the league :hurray:

However... :eyebrow: ... better than Goodman? Let's get realistic people. When it comes to stadiums, this will put Fisher at #2.... SQUARELY behind Goodman. :asswhip:

Absolutely no way! I'd like to hear an explanation...

colgate13
January 25th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the lights would make Lafayette the only PL stadium with lights?

I think Fordham has them now, no?

http://www.fordhamsports.com/action_shots/Football/Jack-Coffey-Field.jpg

And some help from the Hoyas, doesn't the MSF have lights in the master plan?

That's a bit of homer talking! The edge Goodman will have is in atmosphere and maybe the bowl setup. If LC can get some better atmosphere, they can contend with this facility IMO.

carney2
January 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I think Fordham has them now, no?

That's a bit of homer talking! The edge Goodman will have is in atmosphere and maybe the bowl setup. If LC can get some better atmosphere, they can contend with this facility IMO.

Fordham - a one sided stadium. No freakin' way.

Straight stadiums without regard to fannys in the seats, Goodman doesn't stand a chance. It is a nice bowl configuration located in an out of the way arctic mud hole. Bring your mukluks because if the crowd exceeds 7,000 you will be trudging through mud up to your ankles. Could it be any further from the heart of Lehigh's civilization? From any hint of civilization? Handy bars, restaurants, student centers, doorways to duck into to avoid the incessant wind, ANYTHING?!! They could have built it in Saskatchewan and achieved the same result.

Back2Back05
January 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM

Let me clarigy once again that this is a rumor and hearsay but it seems highly likely knowing the past contributions of this particular alumnus.

1. thats why i said supposedly more money was added to keep other varsity/inseason sports off of it.

2. the picture of the field isnt accurate proportionately because they are moving the whole thing over to the left taking a few rows out and eliminating much of the excess sideline room that is there now. my understanding is that the back of the visitor stands will be approximately at the edge of the field now giving about another 20 -25 yards to work with of free space.

3. dont care about the title IX thats what almost cost us football in the first place.

4. agreed

Back2Back05
January 25th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Facility incorporates the whole thing not just the shape of a stadium. with all that is going in plus the new field house and viewing areas you wont beat the new fisher in the PL including goodman. As for the attendance percentage wise lafayette is near the top of the list, we are hurt by a small campus. 2200 enrolled close to 6000 avg. attended. lehigh percentage is not at that level and chalk up game attendance to size of campus alone.

Marcus Garvey
January 25th, 2006, 04:48 PM
If, the "new" Fisher Field lives up to the hype, then I'd rank it above Goodman for two reasons:
1) ON CAMPUS!!! Yes, the athletic campus is technically "on-campus" at Lehigh, but no students live close enough to the stadium for it to be a reasonable walk.
2) Fans closer to the field. Sitting between the 30 yard lines at Goodman kind of reminds me of the sideline seating at the Vet: Back way too far!

Go...gate
January 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Like this new facility a lot, but Goodman still the best in the PL.

ngineer
January 25th, 2006, 08:27 PM
The one problem Fisher will still have is parking and no tailgating area. People are left to dodge traffic on the streets. Someone's comments about mud -- yes if it rains there will be mud. the areas around Goodman are perfect for tailgating with a lot of wide open space. The home stand at Fisher, once renovated will be excellent. The visitor side, though is too low for my taste. I'm glad I always have my seats on the Lafayette side for The Game.
The one drawback of Goodman is that it's not on the main campus, which might lose a few students, but those that want to get there easily can with shuttle buses and so many students now have cars.
Will be interesting to see what LC does for the bathroom upgrade and any kind of concessions which have been woefully lacking.

ngineer
January 25th, 2006, 08:37 PM
I'd still prefer an autumn afternoon for football. Night games in September are fine when it's still warm, but I just like the daytime atmosphere when you can see the surrounding hills. At night, it's just a stadium. Night games may also run into conflict issues with other campus activities competing. Let's face it. At Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, Colgate, etc..there are a lot of students who could give a rip about football and are into other things, so I don't know if the lights will add much attendance from the students--once the initial 'newness' is gone. It may get a few more towns people, but then, again there may be conflicts with HS ball--though Easton's home games are usually Friday night.
Overall, though, I think the move for LC is great and long overdue. We can only wait and see what the final product looks like and whether it works.

nlwwln
January 25th, 2006, 11:19 PM
now that there a nice stadium :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

carney2
January 26th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Like ngineer and, I'm sure, others who have been involved in this discussion, I am wondering what the brain trust thinks that lights are going to do for them. Seems like a needless expense to me, but paraphrasing what my wife and kids say to me: "What do I know." Any thoughts besides playoff games, overtime games and renting the field out for high school football - all very iffy and "now and then" propositions?

As for the lack of parking and lack of a true tailgating venue, I agree. I point out however that in inclement weather and after, let's say, mid-October tailgating is a vastly overrated activity anyway. I am the one who continues to complain about the mud flats at Goodman. You must remember that most of my Goodman experiences have come on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and you have to take my word for this - that parking area is always - ALWAYS - a hell hole of mud on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. My first "Welcome to Lehigh" cheery experience is supplied by the local gendarmes with their idiotic sobriety checks. This creates delays entering the parking area and forces me to arrive hours before sanity and rational thought tell me that I should. Ultimately, I stand around in the wind and cold trying to manipulate a stale sandwich and mid morning brewskie with thick winter gloves. Much of this feast ends up on my winter coat which has just been liberated from the drycleaner's and will now have to be returned to him on Monday morning. My open trunk does nothing to break the wind or lessen the frigid temperatures, and no amount of foot stomping, pacing or wind sprints "warms" the blood. My buddies bitch incessantly and somehow it is all my fault. Let the good times roll.

Lafalumni29
January 26th, 2006, 09:05 AM
The tailgating excuse is just that. Between the small garage, march field, the side streets, and the quad, there is plenty of room for tailgaiting. And, they are closer to the stadium then the some of the spots at Goodman! And, if you know anybody who lives on the hill, it makes for a even better experience. As for atmosphere, it is my honest opinion that this has the potential to be the best in the PL. Period.
On a side note, will any of the games be changed to night games? Will they still call it Fisher field after all the "new" money is put into it?

kardplayer
January 26th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Like ngineer and, I'm sure, others who have been involved in this discussion, I am wondering what the brain trust thinks that lights are going to do for them. Seems like a needless expense to me, but paraphrasing what my wife and kids say to me: "What do I know." Any thoughts besides playoff games, overtime games and renting the field out for high school football - all very iffy and "now and then" propositions?

As for the lack of parking and lack of a true tailgating venue, I agree. I point out however that in inclement weather and after, let's say, mid-October tailgating is a vastly overrated activity anyway. I am the one who continues to complain about the mud flats at Goodman. You must remember that most of my Goodman experiences have come on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and you have to take my word for this - that parking area is always - ALWAYS - a hell hole of mud on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. My first "Welcome to Lehigh" cheery experience is supplied by the local gendarmes with their idiotic sobriety checks. This creates delays entering the parking area and forces me to arrive hours before sanity and rational thought tell me that I should. Ultimately, I stand around in the wind and cold trying to manipulate a stale sandwich and mid morning brewskie with thick winter gloves. Much of this feast ends up on my winter coat which has just been liberated from the drycleaner's and will now have to be returned to him on Monday morning. My open trunk does nothing to break the wind or lessen the frigid temperatures, and no amount of foot stomping, pacing or wind sprints "warms" the blood. My buddies bitch incessantly and somehow it is all my fault. Let the good times roll.

Umm... I'm thinking this scene is repeated anywhere in the Northeast on a November Saturday. Except of course where there's no room for tailgating...

Lets break it down:

Sobriety checks - I've seen this mentioned before and I'm not sure what all the complaining is about here. I got to the game about 90 minutes before kickoff last year and didn't have an issue. I think these are a good idea, as this game is famous for poor crowd behavior (my freshman year was the last year that the posts went down, and my sophmore year was the "Mace Game", so I know of what I speak. At least the game isn't at 11am anymore (or was it 10:30?)
I'm not sure how stale sandwiches are impacted by the Lehigh facilities. Could I recommend a $10 cooler, or maybe picking a different place to order your sandwiches from?
Thick winter gloves - Its November. Its Pennsylvania. What do you expect to be wearing?
Much of the feast ends up on my coat - You should consider turning around so the wind is blowing away from you. Or perhaps making meal decisions that are less susceptible to the conditions you know you are going into. Remember this: shredded lettuce on your sandwich bad, leafs of lettuce good.
Perhaps you should have gone to school in Florida? :confused:

Marcus Garvey
January 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Lights make perfect sense IF Fisher is to be used for other sports. Remember, soccer and field hockey are played on weekdays. after most classes. Running out of daylight isn't an issue with lights. If you look at most small colleges with lighted (or is the correct term "lit?") multi-purpose stadia, the lights are used primarily for sports other than football. I've already cited Muhlenberg as an example. Albright College in Reading (although Reading High also uses the stadium on Fri. nights) does this, as does Alfred University in upstate NY and Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. The list is pretty long.

If Fisher is to be used for football exclusively, then the lights make absolutely no sense! One could also argue that artificial turf doesn't make sense either if no other sports are playing on the field.

I'm with you on tailgating in cold weather: Vastly overrated. It's fun when your young and dumb and getting *****-faced before every football game "seems" like a good idea. Personally, I like tailgating before Arizona games. I only have to worry about two things:
1) Did I put on enough sunscreen?
2) Should I pick up a 12-pack of Pabst or Bud Light?
:)

Go...gate
January 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM
There has been mud and cold weather at northeast football tailgates since Princeton-Rutgers, November 6, 1869.

Pard4Life
January 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
The only edge I would give to Goodman for the moment is stadium atmosphere. They always pack 'em in there and the crowd is always loud. Our crowds are of respectable size and not overly loud until the end or a very big play. But like Back2Back said, we are a much smaller school with a smaller enrollment... thus, smaller alumni base. Lehigh graduates.. like... 500 more students per class a year than Lafayette? Over ten years, that is 5,000 more alumni than us over a ten year period. We were smaller back in the day.. so perhaps the ratio is even wider than that. Simply put, more alumni, more fans in the stands. I think we have worn off the 'let's ditch football' hex and 'the team is horrible' image of the late 90s, so small attendence could be attributed to the enrollment issue.

After that we are either neck and neck or BETTER than 'not so Goodman anymore Stadium'. The traffic problem is an issue. I don't know what Lehigh people complain about, but parking is ample if you know what to do. The side streets have plenty of parking. If you park the furthest point away east, by the cliff, and walk in, it's probably the same distance from the back of the lot in Goodman.

Traffic into Lehigh is good awful. We were 90-100minutes early for the game and were jammed in traffic. I am just thankful I know the back roads in the Mountain and by 78. Coming over South Mountain.... jammed... from 378... jammed... Saucon Valley in the back.. jammed... sobrerity checks... say it with me... jammed... traffic is funneled into three entrence ways. At Lafayette, coming up the hill from 22 is jammed, but nowhere near the length to get into Goodman. Plus, there are several other ways to get to Fisher through the inumerable back roads. And we don't have sobriety checks on the roads (i don't think).

And our stadium is on campus. Perfect for alums and students... roll out of bed, grab a sanwhich, go to the game. Or, park on the street, March, Easton, or the new deck, and stroll across campus to the field. Pray it's not wet at Goodman because you have to trek across that field. There are plent of tailgate spots at Lafayette... it's just a quick excuse to label there aren't any. The up side is we have 'segregated' tailgate areas. March is for the young alums and students, Easton is the 'G' -rated family lot, and the frats party on their lawns. That and I've seen just randomly grouped cars who start their own party group. From what I here of in the mid-90s, there was tailgating for regular games but AR and Co. phased them out.

And yes, Goodman won't have better sight lines than Fisher. I don't know why but their bowl archs, causnig the middle to be further away from the action. The stands will be right on top of the field at Fisher. That, and you have a nice varsity house with glass windows and not a dull brick structure.

Oh, and lights...

ngineer
January 26th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Ha! This is the reason my wife doesn't go to The Game anymore--regardless where it's played. Granted at that time of year we're lucky to have moderate weather, like this year. And yes, frozen ground will turn to mud in a thaw, but seems to me most places with tailgating in areas covered by grass will have that problem. Luckily, we have reserved parking in the Stabler Lot, so that part we don't have to deal with. I stopped wearing 'good' clothes a long time ago. I remember when I was in school (early '70's) most went 'dressed up' --fur coats, ties, etc. because of the cocktail parties after the Game at all the fraternity houses. Obviously, dress code has changed. We're just as pissed at the Lower Saucon Twp. Police as you. They delay everyone going back over the Mountain after the game, as well. But I guess it's a 'moneymaker' for them...
If you get the chance, come on over in September or October when the Mountain is red, orange and scarlet. A more pastoral setting for a football game you will not find. :)

carney2
January 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm loving this - almost as much fun as plucking a chickenhawk on the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

"Sobriety checks - I've seen this mentioned before and I'm not sure what all the complaining is about here. I got to the game about 90 minutes before kickoff last year and didn't have an issue. I think these are a good idea, as this game is famous for poor crowd behavior (my freshman year was the last year that the posts went down, and my sophmore year was the "Mace Game", so I know of what I speak. At least the game isn't at 11am anymore (or was it 10:30?)"

Got a late start one day back in the 90's. Got into line for the sobriety checks about 30 minutes before kickoff. Expected to be late, but... At the end of the 1st quarter we were still a good half mile from the sobriety check point at the Seidersville Road entrance to the parking lot. We went to someone's home to watch the 2nd half on TV. Let me rephrase this: Any one in his right mind who is trying to "control" alcoholic consumption at THE Game would recognize that at 10:00 in the morning you are more concerned with the drinking that WILL occur than with the drinking that HAS occurred. How many rowdies do they intercept? 8? 10? Get real. THE SOBRIETY CHECKS SUK!!!!! - and are a mindless interference with a marvelous, one of a kind athletic event. Oh yeah, it was 10:30 for a few years in the late 70's. A really bad idea that has been discussed elsewhere.

"In the northeast cold and bad weather are just an expected part of the tailgating experience." I paraphrased this one.

At Lehigh one has no options. At Lafayette there are options. For one there is the covered area of the parking garage. Even if you aren't a big bux contributor and can't gain access with your car, you can still drag your beer and hoagie over there, possibly sponge some hospitality from a friend, and certainly stay dry. For the truly resourceful, there is the CHT (that's College Hill Tavern for the uninitiated). The CHT worked for you when you were an undergrad. It still works today.

"Stale sandwich - you can't blame that on Lehigh."

Wanna bet? All evil begins on South Mountain.

ButlerGSU
January 26th, 2006, 12:26 PM
My girlfriends father, Dr. d'Aubermont, is a Lafayette alum and he was tick'd off that Lafayette is using the money on their football stadium. Is this common among your alumni? He called it a waste of money even though I tried to explain to him that football often creates pride in both students and alumni and also gains exposure for the school.

carney2
January 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM
My girlfriends father, Dr. d'Aubermont, is a Lafayette alum and he was tick'd off that Lafayette is using the money on their football stadium. Is this common among your alumni? He called it a waste of money even though I tried to explain to him that football often creates pride in both students and alumni and also gains exposure for the school.

I'm sure that there are Arthur Rothkopf devotees out there who see this as a waste of resources and, who knows, maybe they're right. The counter argument is that it is money that the school would not otherwise have had. These people loosened their purse strings specifically for this purpose. To think that the $23 million would have gone to the Philosophy Department but for this is truly naive.

ButlerGSU
January 26th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Dr. d'Aubermont is a very stern and driven man but he's an excellent surgeon here in Atlanta. I believe there is a Dr. d'Aubermont study room in the Lafayette library.

Marcus Garvey
January 26th, 2006, 02:02 PM
:rolleyes:
I'm sure that there are Arthur Rothkopf devotees out there who see this as a waste of resources and, who knows, maybe they're right. The counter argument is that it is money that the school would not otherwise have had. These people loosened their purse strings specifically for this purpose. To think that the $23 million would have gone to the Philosophy Department but for this is truly naive.

Very good point. I hate that when alums and the eggheads on campus gripe about these things. As if the school is diverting academic scholarship money or grant money to build this! By that logic, I guess schools should do whatever the hell they feel like with specific donations.

In conclusion: Sarkis Acopian's donation for the engineering building should have been used to renovate the stadium, to hell with what he wanted it used for! With that out of the way, the college could then have used this "stadium" money for the engineering school.
:rolleyes:

carney2
January 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Dr. d'Aubermont is a very stern and driven man but he's an excellent surgeon here in Atlanta. I believe there is a Dr. d'Aubermont study room in the Lafayette library.

I haven't done more than a drive by of the library in years. Perhaps I'll go in and search for the study room in question sometime soon. While on the subject of the library, you can wow Dr. d'A. by asking him if he knows of the geat Lafayette library scandal that took place in the 70's. It involved the theft of some ancient Egyptian artifacts, sex and a murder. There was a book written about it a few years ago, and it is something that is not often mentioned - or I guess, by now, even remembered - within the official College community. It is one of the two great Lafayette College scandals of the past 50 years - the other being an embezzlement of horrific proportions. I often thought that it would make a great true to life novel and ultimately a screenplay with, perhaps, Anthony Hopkins and Meryl Streep playing the librarian lovers. Anyway, if my dreams of a stadium renovation can come true, why not this dream for my first novel.

LeopardFan04
January 26th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I haven't done more than a drive by of the library in years. Perhaps I'll go in and search for the study room in question sometime soon. While on the subject of the library, you can wow Dr. d'A. by asking him if he knows of the geat Lafayette library scandal that took place in the 70's. It involved the theft of some ancient Egyptian artifacts, sex and a murder. There was a book written about it a few years ago, and it is something that is not often mentioned - or I guess, by now, even remembered - within the official College community. It is one of the two great Lafayette College scandals of the past 50 years - the other being an embezzlement of horrific proportions. I often thought that it would make a great true to life novel and ultimately a screenplay with, perhaps, Anthony Hopkins and Meryl Streep playing the librarian lovers. Anyway, if my dreams of a stadium renovation can come true, why not this dream for my first novel.

You should check out the library...it is much improved over even when I graduated 2 years ago...state of the art...and it isn't gloomy...I always studied (the few times I did) in the Kirby Library...

ngineer
January 26th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Check your pm.

ngineer
January 26th, 2006, 06:53 PM
The only edge I would give to Goodman for the moment is stadium atmosphere. They always pack 'em in there and the crowd is always loud. Our crowds are of respectable size and not overly loud until the end or a very big play. But like Back2Back said, we are a much smaller school with a smaller enrollment... thus, smaller alumni base. Lehigh graduates.. like... 500 more students per class a year than Lafayette? Over ten years, that is 5,000 more alumni than us over a ten year period. We were smaller back in the day.. so perhaps the ratio is even wider than that. Simply put, more alumni, more fans in the stands. I think we have worn off the 'let's ditch football' hex and 'the team is horrible' image of the late 90s, so small attendence could be attributed to the enrollment issue.

After that we are either neck and neck or BETTER than 'not so Goodman anymore Stadium'. The traffic problem is an issue. I don't know what Lehigh people complain about, but parking is ample if you know what to do. The side streets have plenty of parking. If you park the furthest point away east, by the cliff, and walk in, it's probably the same distance from the back of the lot in Goodman.

Traffic into Lehigh is good awful. We were 90-100minutes early for the game and were jammed in traffic. I am just thankful I know the back roads in the Mountain and by 78. Coming over South Mountain.... jammed... from 378... jammed... Saucon Valley in the back.. jammed... sobrerity checks... say it with me... jammed... traffic is funneled into three entrence ways. At Lafayette, coming up the hill from 22 is jammed, but nowhere near the length to get into Goodman. Plus, there are several other ways to get to Fisher through the inumerable back roads. And we don't have sobriety checks on the roads (i don't think).

And our stadium is on campus. Perfect for alums and students... roll out of bed, grab a sanwhich, go to the game. Or, park on the street, March, Easton, or the new deck, and stroll across campus to the field. Pray it's not wet at Goodman because you have to trek across that field. There are plent of tailgate spots at Lafayette... it's just a quick excuse to label there aren't any. The up side is we have 'segregated' tailgate areas. March is for the young alums and students, Easton is the 'G' -rated family lot, and the frats party on their lawns. That and I've seen just randomly grouped cars who start their own party group. From what I here of in the mid-90s, there was tailgating for regular games but AR and Co. phased them out.

And yes, Goodman won't have better sight lines than Fisher. I don't know why but their bowl archs, causnig the middle to be further away from the action. The stands will be right on top of the field at Fisher. That, and you have a nice varsity house with glass windows and not a dull brick structure.

Oh, and lights...

I live in Easton. I was in the parking lot in 25 minutes at 10:30. Use the 'road less traveled by.'
If you don't like wet grass, take a whole extra two minutes and walk on the macadem driveway up to the entrance.
The stands bow away in order to accomodate soccer. Goodman has been host several times to Olympic preliminary games. The width of a soccer field is more than a football field. I would prefer to be a little closer, there was no stadium with better sightlines from the homestands than Taylor; but, it isn't that big a deal.

TxSt02
January 27th, 2006, 12:00 AM
great news guys! congrats!!!

Pard4Life
January 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Yup it's true, my RA friend had a hall program a few years ago where he got the library archivist to come and tell the story... quite a good one too.

The library is nice.. but some common sense things... it has alot of open space, quite opposite of the old one, but it gets kind of loud because the sound carries... it looks like a 1970s living room or Brady bunch set or Home Depot in the computer area. And there are these gorgeous stain-glass windows in the basement... blocking a row to the DVD racks. So, you have to snake by the glass windows just to get to that DVD row... very bad planning... once I forget which row I was in and almost walked into it... poor Charlamenge wouldn't have like that too much.

Back2Back05
January 28th, 2006, 01:48 AM

As carney touched upon, this money is a donation from a small number of alumni as a GIFT to football. This is not general donations being used for football, it is given TO football. Why should anyone be able to tell these generous people what they can spend their money on. And of course football is a big part of why many other athletic programs recieve funds in the first place. This will only bring more exposure and pride in the football and athletic programs and will also free up some money the school would have spent on the program.

Bottom line is that the money is a gift not to be determined by the administration but the people spending their money.

Pard94
January 28th, 2006, 06:33 AM
As carney touched upon, this money is a donation from a small number of alumni as a GIFT to football. This is not general donations being used for football, it is given TO football. Why should anyone be able to tell these generous people what they can spend their money on. And of course football is a big part of why many other athletic programs recieve funds in the first place. This will only bring more exposure and pride in the football and athletic programs and will also free up some money the school would have spent on the program.

Bottom line is that the money is a gift not to be determined by the administration but the people spending their money.

Not to mention, all of these donors have given generous donations to the college in general in the past (and I'm sure that will continue in the future). The shortsighted few who would comlain about such generosity can either put their own money where their mouths are or, better still, shut it.

65 Pard
January 28th, 2006, 09:04 AM
The inscription on Kirby Hall of Civil Rights at Lafayette reads "Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own"....Mr Kirby was answering the critics who felt that importing Italian Marble for a building was too grandiose, especially during a depression.....or so the story goes....

Pards Rule
January 31st, 2006, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=carney2] It involved the theft of some ancient Egyptian artifacts, sex and a murder. There was a book written about it a few years ago, and it is something that is not often mentioned - or I guess, by now, even remembered - within the official College community.

Carney - I do remember that. I was sitting on Port Charlotte Beach (FLA) in the first few days of Jan. 1991 and I was reading an article about it in the NY Times or the Fort Myers News-Press (can't recall which). What is the name of the book. I would like to secure it. It was a truly fascinating real life story.

carney2
January 31st, 2006, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=carney2] It involved the theft of some ancient Egyptian artifacts, sex and a murder. There was a book written about it a few years ago, and it is something that is not often mentioned - or I guess, by now, even remembered - within the official College community.

Carney - I do remember that. I was sitting on Port Charlotte Beach (FLA) in the first few days of Jan. 1991 and I was reading an article about it in the NY Times or the Fort Myers News-Press (can't recall which). What is the name of the book. I would like to secure it. It was a truly fascinating real life story.

I am assured by ngineer, a Lehigh poster at this site, that my memory is faulty. He was "involved in the case," and says that no book was ever written. Apparently a book was contemplated by one of the suspects, but never completed before he died. I must be remembering that same NY Times article, but with a different twist. Our friend, ngineer, says that it remains the lone unsolved murder in the annals of the Palmer Township (a "suburb" of Easton) police.

I guess that you are going to have to wait for my based on fact novel.

Pards Rule
February 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Indeed I will! I could see a movie starring Timothy Hutton (he has that "libe look")

ngineer
February 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Yes I've seen article written about the Egyptian 'Pectoral' but not a book. It would make for a good movie, --mystery, sex, violence...I represented the antique dealer who came into possession of it. He said he was going to work on a book--or even a play--based on the incident, but died. The 'pectoral' now is custody of a museum in Boston which allows Lafayette to display it every so often.