PDA

View Full Version : UC Davis and Cal Poly to the Big Sky

BearIt
September 7th, 2010, 03:01 PM
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/article_b3809196-bab7-11df-bba8-001cc4c03286.html

Football only. Sounds like a possible 12th member is in discussion. Possibly SUU or UND.

darell1976
September 7th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I can see the wheels turning...I think its SUU that way eventually UND and USD will be reunited with NDSU and SDSU.

F'N Hawks
September 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I can see the wheels turning...I think its SUU that way eventually UND and USD will be reunited with NDSU and SDSU.

Not so fast my friend. There have been discussions between UND and the Big Sky in the last few weeks. They could easily get the last spot, as easy as SUU. You have to fly to both places so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

I am hoping for a Football only spot in the Big Sky and the rest of the sports go to the Summit.

I Bleed Purple
September 7th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Not so fast my friend. There have been discussions between UND and the Big Sky in the last few weeks. They could easily get the last spot, as easy as SUU. You have to fly to both places so it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

I am hoping for a Football only spot in the Big Sky and the rest of the sports go to the Summit.

Weber and NAU wouldn't fly to Cedar City, and possibly not ISU.

F'N Hawks
September 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM

That is right, forgot how close NAU was.

darell1976
September 7th, 2010, 03:12 PM
UND seems out of the way from the rest of the Big Sky. SUU is kinda in the middle between the Montana's and N. Arizona.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM
xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxs mileyclapxxsmileyclapx

T-Dog
September 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
http://www.bigskyconf.com/splash.aspx

Looks like the Big Sky office jumped the gun. xlolx

GSUhooligan
September 7th, 2010, 03:34 PM
God that's such a huge footprint for a conference. I took a map and a piece of lamination and put a dot over the 11 Big Sky Schools cities then moved the film over to the east coast to compare. An east coast "Big Sky" conference would have schools in Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Alabama, Kentucky and Virginia.

catbob
September 7th, 2010, 03:39 PM
God that's such a huge footprint for a conference. I took a map and a piece of lamination and put a dot over the 11 Big Sky Schools cities then moved the film over to the east coast to compare. An east coast "Big Sky" conference would have schools in Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Alabama, Kentucky and Virginia.

Well it ain't the "Little Sky Conference".

MylesKnight
September 7th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Interesting... So UCD and CP were able to join as Football Only Affiliates, while SacState is still involved All-Sports. Would the Big Sky be willing to give Sac the same deal, letting them move their other sports to the all-Cali Big West? Add Southern Utah and you've got 12 for Football and 9 for everything else, which matches the look of the BSC now.

GrizzlyEdd
September 7th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Awesome additions to the BSC. Both teams deserved a better conference where there is an automatic bid into the playoffs... I welcome both. Good teams.

GoAgs72
September 7th, 2010, 03:51 PM
This is the best possible result for UC Davis and Cal Poly. It preserves traditional rivalries, cuts travel costs, reduces scheduling problems and stops all of the stupid talk of joining the WAC when we don't have the resources to move up to the worst conference in the FBS.

FCS Go!
September 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
This is the best possible result for UC Davis and Cal Poly. It preserves traditional rivalries, cuts travel costs, reduces scheduling problems and stops all of the stupid talk of joining the WAC when we don't have the resources to move up to the worst conference in the FBS.

I wouldn't count on that last one.

malibudude
September 7th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Heck, even Cal Poly buses to Cedar City.

Big Al
September 7th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Heck, even Cal Poly buses to Cedar City.

Dang, that's 10 hours in a bus.

malibudude
September 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Dang, that's 10 hours in a bus.

Google maps says 9 Hours and 46 minutes. Slo to Bako and up and over to CC.

Big Al
September 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, but we all know about Cali traffic. Certainly wouldn't want to get caught in one of LA's Friday-night exodus to Las Vegas on that bus.

NDB
September 7th, 2010, 04:52 PM
you are a smart cookie, myles.

Screamin_Eagle174
September 7th, 2010, 05:11 PM

And those are the closest FCS schools. You can understand why we have some difficulty scheduling OOC games, because there isn't really anyone to play out here that isn't FBS or D-II. We're always traveling 500+ miles most of the time.

Red & Black
September 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Great news for the Big Sky and FCS!!

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Some notes from the press conferences...

Big Sky trying to bring in Cal Poly and UC-Davis for 2012.
Fullerton, Big Sky actively seeking 12th member
If 12-team league, six two-team divisions. No title game. AQ on tiebreakers.
Fullerton: Add CP, Davis was easy
Fullerton envisions a day of three at-large playoff berths for Big Sky
Poly/Davis paying $150k entry fee and $10k per year

100%GRIZ
September 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Welcome aboard Cal Poly and UC Davis! Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!

JALMOND
September 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Now stretch that if the 12th team is UND or USD. That's why adding SUU makes the most sense.

Yote 53
September 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM
See ya.

Now what the F do we do?

SO ILLmatic
September 7th, 2010, 10:51 PM
See ya.

Now what the F do we do?

Wait to see how bad the Summit wants football, or wait on a phone call from Patty V.

GeauxLions94
September 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM

Great move Big Sky! Now get Southern Utah as the 12th member

Yote 53
September 8th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I don't think these invites happened in a vaccuum. The BSC, Summit, and MVFC met about a month ago to discuss the future of FCS football in the West. Now Two GWFC schools get BSC invites. Hardly a coincidence, and hardly the first salvo in what I think will be a realignment of either 2 western US superconferences, or maybe 3 smaller conferences with interleague, non-conference tie in games.

Let the speculation begin about where SUU, USD, and UND end up. BSC, GWFC, or a new Summit Football Conference? The simplest, and most likely end result is SUU to round out the BSC and USD and UND to the MVFC which splits into divisions ala the CAA.

Sec310
September 8th, 2010, 12:55 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50238429-77/conference-football-sky-cal.html.csp

From that story, I get a feeling, that a Big Sky school or two have given notice about moving to the WAC.

BTW, no Big Sky school went directly from the Big Sky to the WAC.

Nevada, Boise St., Idaho all went to the Big West before going to the WAC.

Poly's Brutality
September 8th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Welcome aboard Cal Poly and UC Davis! Let's Get Ready to RUMBLE!
Yeah! In fact, - let's start THIS Saturday night!! (Don't be late, there was delay getting into last game BTW.) Not sure, it might sell out.xbowx

4th and What?
September 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM

That's an interesting conference setup :)

NDB
September 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Anybody else think that Sac State is going to take all of its sports other than football over to the Big West?

cpalum
September 8th, 2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50238429-77/conference-football-sky-cal.html.csp

BTW, no Big Sky school went directly from the Big Sky to the WAC.

Nevada, Boise St., Idaho all went to the Big West before going to the WAC.

Great point..... only problem is that the Big West doesnt have football anymore. So if there was a conference to be raided in the west it would be the Big Sky....

GtFllsGriz
September 8th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Great addition to the Big Sky. Welcome!!!!!!!! I don't see anyone going to the WAC for awhile. And I only see that happening if the FCS begins to crumble. The NCAA is getting tired of losing money on the playoffs. There will be change coming in a few years if things stay the way they are. Stay tuned....more to come.