PDA

View Full Version : MEAC/SWAC Challenge Remains in Orlando

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM
For better or for worse, the game remains at the Citrus Bowl.

Will FAMU and BCC decide to participate before this current contract runs out? Can any of the SWAC schools really draw in Florida besides Southern?

The MEAC/SWAC Challenge will remain in Orlando through 2013.

ESPN and Walt Disney World officials made the announcement of the extension Sunday morning prior to the Delaware State-Southern game at the Florida Citrus Bowl.

"The ongoing support of Walt Disney World will contribute to the continued growth and success of this event and ESPN's commitment to HBCU football," said Nikki Godfrey, the game's executive director.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/os-meac-swac-challenge-notes-20100905,0,4648570.story

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The crowd looked embarassing. What was announced?

bluedog
September 6th, 2010, 11:53 PM

Three times that of the avg playoff games.

Next question

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Three times that of the avg playoff games.

Next question
Care to back that up with facts?

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 07:17 AM

The MEAC/SWAC Challenge drew just over 16,000 fans (despite a few claims that Southern had 20k fans in attendance). If the playoff average is 5,333 - then you can say that it was three times the average of playoff games.

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM
You do not get facts from Southern posters. We've already been down that road before...

The MEAC/SWAC Challenge drew just over 16,000 fans (despite a few claims that Southern had 20k fans in attendance). If the playoff average is 5,333 - then you can say that it was three times the average of playoff games.

I have a hard time believing that 5k average. Southern looked like they traveled well. Delaware State didn't. Also wasn't sure on stadium size.

What's the most this game has drawn?

bluedog
September 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM

google for yourself, it's as easy as posting here.

henfan
September 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM

16,367 was the official attendance.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-05/sports/os-meac-swac-challenge-0905-20100905_1_delaware-state-swac-challenge-southern

bjtheflamesfan
September 7th, 2010, 09:17 AM
You do not get facts from Southern posters. We've already been down that road before...

TT...what did I tell you about antagonizing SWAC posters....

PantherRob82
September 7th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Stop being lazy and google for yourself, it's as easy as posting here.
To be honest I don't care that much. You're the one who's all worked up because I asked a question. You made a statement, if you don't want to back it up I'll just assume it's wrong.

I would guess Montana and App alone draw 20k each for playoff games.

UAalum72
September 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM

But of course it isn't 5,333.

CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENTS: The total attendance for the Division I FCS Tournament was 153,933 for an 10,262 average over 15 games,
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/Attendance/2009.pdf

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM
TT...what did I tell you about antagonizing SWAC posters....

Not antagonizing.

If we are getting smack directed at the FCS playoffs from SWAC (more notably Southern) posters, it would be nice if they could back up their profound statements with facts. It is consistently proven that they do not do any research and rely on their friends from other schools, conferences to do it.

Our friend informed us to Google and do our research. Well, the research was done and he's wrong. Fact-check, aisle 2!

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 09:28 AM
But of course it isn't 5,333.

CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENTS: The total attendance for the Division I FCS Tournament was 153,933 for an 10,262 average over 15 games,
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/football_records/Attendance/2009.pdf

UAlum72, can you do the math to prove that this is more than 1/3 the attendance of the MEAC/SWAC game... if you could, also show your work. ;)

mikebigg
September 7th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Nice attendance SU... too bad Del State didn't travel as well because this could be an attractive sponsorship for our conferences. As for the game itself, good comeback by the Jags... man that heat had to be brutal for fans and players. Good/exciting game, though!

bluedog
September 7th, 2010, 09:56 AM
To be honest I don't care that much. You're the one who's all worked up because I asked a question. You made a statement, if you don't want to back it up I'll just assume it's wrong.

I would guess Montana and App alone draw 20k each for playoff games.

Work up about what?
You asked a question and I simply gave an answer with a comparison, but because I compared the attendance to the precious playoffs it's being called smack.

Yeah somebody's worked up alright and it sure isn't me.

You asked that it be back up with facts, and my position (which you just confirmed) was that if the attendance record comparison of a regular season six yr Kickoff Classic was that important to you, you could have just as easily google it yourself, because I have no need or reason to prove anything, it's all there on record.

Now if you care to look up the attendance of the playoff games six year into its inception, have at it, it's a free country.

zymergy
September 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Nice attendance SU... too bad Del State didn't travel as well because this could be an attractive sponsorship for our conferences. As for the game itself, good comeback by the Jags... man that heat had to be brutal for fans and players. Good/exciting game, though!

Del St. don't travel well for home games either!! :)

3rd Coast Tiger
September 7th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Game officials have got to move this game to later in the evening if not that night. The TV crew kept mentioning how it was reported to be around 115 degrees on the turf with the heat index.

I know this is football and only the strongest survive but if you want a better draw attendance wise, you've got to move that game to a MUCH later kickoff time.

mikebigg
September 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Game officials have got to move this game to later in the evening if not that night. The TV crew kept mentioning how it was reported to be around 115 degrees on the turf with the heat index.

I know this is football and only the strongest survive but if you want a better draw attendance wise, you've got to move that game to a MUCH later kickoff time.

Not just attendance concerns but also the health of the players and fans... Man those poor kids could collapse from all that heat! Too bad there's not a domed stadium in Orlando that they could use!

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Doesn't ESPN control the game time? They need to fill a gap for programming on Sunday afternoon of Labor Day weekend, since they have baseball and potentially a marquee FBS games on ESPN and ESPN2 at night. Hard to see them budging, unless the game gets moved to ESPNU - which takes away a great publicity for both the SWAC and MEAC.

3rd Coast Tiger
September 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Not just attendance concerns but also the health of the players and fans... Man those poor kids could collapse from all that heat! Too bad there's not a domed stadium in Orlando that they could use!

You're right, I think a domed stadium would do wonders attendance.

mikebigg
September 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Doesn't ESPN control the game time? They need to fill a gap for programming on Sunday afternoon of Labor Day weekend, since they have baseball and potentially a marquee FBS games on ESPN and ESPN2 at night. Hard to see them budging, unless the game gets moved to ESPNU - which takes away a great publicity for both the SWAC and MEAC.

Move it to ESPNU or do whatever because I'm concerned about those kids playing that early in the day. Florida is hot...too hot to play a day game.

Jaguar05
September 7th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Yea, its always extremely hot for this game!!..In 2007, when we beat FAMU in Birmingham, the heat was almost unbearable!!!..It honestly felt as if someone was trying to split my head with a knife like a melon!!..LOL