PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings-9/6

JALMOND
September 6th, 2010, 05:24 PM
If there was a word that could describe the Big Sky in week 1, one could choose between "boring" and "humdrum". Those that should have won won, and those that should have lost lost, and none of the games were close. Possible scenarios with EWU and Sac State pulling upsets and ISU and UNC stubbing their toes were proven false. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings. As usual, all are my opinions and all are open for discussion. This week (last week)

1. Montana (1)---Its highly doubtful that Western State will be coming back to Wash-Griz any time soon. After last season's opener where they stayed within 38 points of the Grizzlies, that score was quickly exceeded this year as the Griz showed no mercy. Whatever the Grizzlies wanted to do seemed like it worked to perfection. This week, they head to Cal Poly in what should be a good matchup, unless perfection reigns again.

2. Montana State (2)---Just like their in state brethren, the Bobcats pounced on their lesser opponent, Fort Lewis from Durango, CO, to the tune of 59 points. The only difference it seemed was that they let Fort Lewis score 10 in what still was not much of a game. Not much went wrong in their game either. This week, they step up to the Pac-10 level as they go to Washington State. Eyes would certainly open across the country if the Bobcats put 59 on the Cougars. Can they do it?

3. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles headed down to Nevada with aspirations of knocking down the Wolf Pack a notch or two. Chances were certainly there, but the Eagles failed to capitalize and thus came home on the short end. This week they come back home and welcome instate Central Washington to the new red turf. Should be just a tune up for the big game the following week, as long as the Eagles themselves do not look past it.

4. Northern Arizona (4)---The Jacks found some weapons to use this past weekend in their romp over Western New Mexico, a game that they needed to find some complements for Herrick. Whether these new weapons will come to fruition remains to be seen, but the first game looked spectacular. This week, however, they face Arizona State, a team in the conference on loan from the Pac-10 the first two weeks (ASU played Portland State the first week). Good test maybe.

5. Weber State (5)---The Wildcats got some good ESPN exposure, not for what they did, but for going against Boston College and their linebacker who was returning from cancer last year. They still ended up with some good plays but not enough to pull the upset. This week they open up conference play with a home game against Northern Colorado. Time for these games to truly count.

6. Sacramento State (6)---Maybe not some strong rumblings about a possible win over Pac-10 Stanford, but there were some calls about a possible upset. The Hornets still were able to put 17 on the Cardinal, the only problem was the Cardinal scored 52 and the game was a typical Pac-10/Big Sky matchup. This week, they entertain DII Western Oregon, and hoping for a strong showing to propel them to the conference season.

7. Northern Colorado (7)---If there was a surprise this week in the conference, it was probably the Bears, not that they won but by how easy it looked against Adams State. The Bears finally actually looked like an FCS team and not like a team that wants to be an FCS team someday. Are they on the verge of something this year? Well, it all begins this week with a trip to Weber State and if the Bears are this good, this game may be a good one to watch.

8. Idaho State (9)---The Bengals welcomed NAIA Montana Western to Pocatello and then drubbed the poor Bulldogs the way a Big Sky should. It should always be like this, but it hasn't always been. Now, the Bengals are on a two game winning streak (maybe should have been three) as they head just down the road to Utah State. Will the good fortune continue?

9. Portland State (8)---"Hot" can be used to describe many things from the Vikings game with Arizona State. It could describe the weather, it could describe the Sun Devils offense, it could possibly describe the Vikings kicker, Zach Brown, who made three field goals, two from long distance. It certainly cannot describe any other aspect of the Vikings team which seemed to wilt under the heat and the Pac-10 opponent. This week, they stay in the FCS division and head to UC-Davis. Maybe it won't be as hot, the weather and the opponent.

Not much change. PSU looked terrible against Arizona State and ISU looked good against NAIA. Maybe the level of opponent had something to do about it, but I could not keep the Bengals behind the Vikings this week. Burton will turn this team around, but now, Portland State showed they still have the most work of any Big Sky team, including Idaho State.

wapiti
September 6th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Looks good.
Nice analysis.
Thanks

Willie
September 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I highly doubt MSU can put up 59 against WSU, but they have a shot at winning.

Torgo
September 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
No way the Bobcats put 59 up on Washington State, but I'm expecting a win from them...and because its Wazzu it won't open many eyes...but still, any FCS over BCS game is a good thing in my eyes.

Otherwise yeah...not much to say form the Big Sky this week with no real competitive games. Next week should be different.

I Bleed Purple
September 7th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I'm surprised I missed seeing these yesterday.

Note that the surprise does not extend to the rankings.

Red & Black
September 7th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Nice post. Only one problem: The EWU-CWU game isn't on the red turf, it's at Qwest Field in Seattle. The home opener/1st game on the red turf is the Montana game, 9/18.

putter
September 8th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Nice as always Jalmond. The Cats have a legit shot against the Cougs, who are anything but, and if their new QB plays like he did against Ft. Lewis - yes it was Ft. Lewis, but he still has lit a fire for MSU, they could be on their way to the playoffs this year.

TokyoGriz
September 8th, 2010, 06:34 AM
yay Red Turf....... lol

Stand Up & Cheer
September 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Nice work, Jalmond! Although until the Cats prove they can beat EWU this year, I probably would switch us with them in the poll. Maybe the Cats have a chance against Wazzou this weekend, maybe not. It's still a step up in competition regardless of how poorly the Cougs have played as late. Still a difference in speed and depth. And as noted last week, we have a lot of youth on the team this season. Could come into play in a close game.