PDA

View Full Version : PL Fans Fess UP!!!

blukeys
January 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
It is the off season so we can all be honest. This is prior to the NCAA vote on I-AA's getting a 12th game so there is no status on the line.

The very old MAC University Division had:
Bucknell
Delaware
Gettysburg
Lafayette
Lehigh
Rutgers
Temple
as members
(These are all in Alphabetical order!)

This Conference was very tough and competitive during the 50's and 60's and then Rutgers and later Temple broke it up.

I bring this up to only say that Certain PL teams have a relationship with Delaware that others do not have.

All that being said How well would Delaware draw at your Patriot League School???????
Help me with this.

Bucknell (Anyone out there??????)
Fordham (Would the NY MEDIA Notice?)
Lafayette (UD fans love tormenting TAVANI)
Lehigh (How could you keep (Paul Reinhard and his anti Delaware vitriol at bay???????????????????????)
Georgetown: This is a sentimental favorite as My Dad attended both GU and UD and loved both.
Holy Cross: You are still up 2-1 on us. We are willing to even it up.
Colgate: Do I have to ask the Raiders about attendance should the Hens show up in HAMILTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the Raiders have any G'NADS they should be there.

I am serious.
In Your Area what would be the local media response???

Would Your fans have a heightened interest? If so how much above the normal? (Numbers wise)

Would this increase interest in I-AA football in Your area?

What would your administration do to follow up on any increased interest??

I have heard much from my local whiney pain in the rear end Lehigh friends that a UD visit to East Central PA. would be great for Lehigh football but I have heard nothing from these same whiney Lehigh idiots how much money would benefit UD or all of I-AA!!

Nonetheless I am willing to indulge them to satisfy my curiosity. So Please give me your honest opinion Patriot League Posters. Would Delaware draw fans at your school????

DFW HOYA
January 23rd, 2006, 10:21 PM
I'm sure Delaware would draw at Georgetown, but where would they park?

JoltinJoe
January 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
So here's a question: are the Blue Hens interested in a game in New York?

(Hofstra, as you probably have learned by now, doesn't count).

The Daily News and The Post would largely ignore it. The Times would run a big preview, if the schools get the word out and play the PR game right.

carney2
January 23rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
It is the off season so we can all be honest. This is prior to the NCAA vote on I-AA's getting a 12th game so there is no status on the line.

Bucknell
Delaware
Gettysburg
Lafayette
Lehigh
Rutgers
Temple
as members

This Conference was very tough and competitive during the 50's and 60's and then Rutgers and later Temple broke it up.

I bring this up to only say that Certain PL teams have a relationship with Delaware that others do not have.

All that being said How well would Delaware draw at your Patriot League School???????
Help me with this.

Lehigh (How could you keep (Paul Reinhard and his anti Delaware vitriol at bay???????????????????????)
Georgetown: This is a sentimental favorite as My Dad attended both GU and UD and loved both.
Colgate: Do I have to ask the Raiders about attendance should the Hens show up in HAMILTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am serious.

Would Your fans have a heightened interest? If so how much above the normal? (Numbers wise)

I have heard much from my local whiney pain in the rear end Lehigh friends that a UD visit to East Central PA. would be great for Lehigh football but I have heard nothing from these same whiney Lehigh idiots how much money would benefit UD or all of I-AA!!

Nonetheless I am willing to indulge them to satisfy my curiosity. So Please give me your honest opinion Patriot League Posters. Would Delaware draw fans at your school????

I'm sure that Delaware travels well and God knows that Lafayette is very dependent on the visitors to build the gate. As for bringing out more of the home fans - well, maybe.

The local media would love it. Big game Saturday afternoon and all of that stuff.

Would the Lafayette fans have heightened interest? What fans? (Sorry Pard supporters, but I couldn't resist.)

As for your reference to the "administration," I should point out that, to the Lafayette administrators, Delaware football represents all that is evil in intercollegiate athletics. It is not by accident that there has been only one game (that 2004 playoff game at Delaware) since the late 60's. I believe that they used to term it "overemphasis on sports." I haven't heard much of this in the past 10 years or so, but before that...

I would welcome the game, but Coach Keeler's comments before last September's tussle with Lehigh lead me to believe that he would consider it bottom feeding and beneath the dignity of his AquaChicks.

Summary: Other than the home and home with Richmond, Lafayette has avoided the current members of the A-10 like the plague. If that attitude has changed no one bothered to inform me.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 23rd, 2006, 11:30 PM
If it's Lehigh or Lafayette, you'll get: sellouts, tons of local media coverage, and one I-AA.org colunist that will be covering the game. How's that for specifics?

colgate13
January 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
If the Hens came to town it would probably draw a lot of interest... but it's all relative. In a town of less than 3,000, you're relying on alums and steady fans to fill the seats.

The real recipe for attendance success as Colgate is: winning program, good weather, 'special' weekend like homecoming, parents weekend, etc. If Delaware was the home opener, that could be a nice event too.

DC 'gater
January 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I can't decide if I'd want the hens as the home opener when the weather is usually OK, or the last game of the year in the snow. I do think there would be a lot of interest from the alumni, especially those of us who were at Black Friday in 2003.

For attendance, I think earlier is better, maybe Parent's Weekend which is usually the biggest crowd of the year.

Pard94
January 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Basically, as the Leopards go, so go their fan support. It stands to reason that when the team is successful the crowds are bigger and vice versa. That being said, there are only a coulple of thousand stundents at Lafayette and I think it is safe to say that a good half of them couldn't identify a football from a watermellon. BUT, the sourrounding Lehigh Valley is filled with ardent and knowledgeable football fans that, I think, would come out in droves to watch UD play the local team (either local team). I can also safely assume that such a match up would bring a good number of aluni back to Easton for the game. In addition, Delaware would certainly travel a few hundred at least. I'd love to see it.

blukeys
January 24th, 2006, 10:19 AM
If it's Lehigh or Lafayette, you'll get: sellouts, tons of local media coverage, and one I-AA.org colunist that will be covering the game. How's that for specifics?

Works for me. Obviously this is pure speculation and I don't think it will happen due mainly to financial considerations. I have relatives in the Lehigh Valley area and a friend here who is a Lehigh alum who says he wants the series to continue. While I know he is interested, I didn't know what the impact would truly be. If I-AA goes to 12 games I would like to see some variety in scheduling and some of the better PL teams would be my personal preference.

colgate13
January 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I can't decide if I'd want the hens as the home opener when the weather is usually OK, or the last game of the year in the snow. I do think there would be a lot of interest from the alumni, especially those of us who were at Black Friday in 2003.

For attendance, I think earlier is better, maybe Parent's Weekend which is usually the biggest crowd of the year.

Please god no - unless we played on the road first. Colgate has the opening game jinx on our backs; we can't even beat CCSU at home in an opener!

I'd go with an early October game with the nice fall foliage or the late November game with mud, snow... and complaining! :D

LUHawker
January 24th, 2006, 11:09 AM

Bucknell
Delaware
Gettysburg
Lafayette
Lehigh
Rutgers
Temple
as members

Help me with this.

I am serious.

I think it would do a lot to generate fan interest for the UD fans. I attended last year's LU-UD game in Newark and given the animosity that I received, it seems that LU creates enough buzz and excitement that a trip to Bethlehem would re-establish an old rivalry. I think the LU-UD series is far more interesting to UD fans than say UD-Hofstra or UD-URI, etc. Two big fan bases in the same general vicinity seems like a good recipe. As for Paul Reinhard, he is now retired, so I think we should move on from that one. I loved the game at UD last year (outcome, notwithstanding), but would balk at always having to see that match-up at UD. Time to come to Pa.

Pard4Life
January 24th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Why do Delaware fans love tormenting Tavani?? We only played you once recently... and we sent the stadium to the bathroom in the middle 4th quarter. If anything you should be avoiding us.

No doubt UD would be a great draw at Lafayette. I know of alot of UD knuckleheads in the north Jersey area. It would be the second largest crowd next to Lehigh. Delaware isn't far so we would get many of their fans up here too. The MCall and ET love big games, and this would definetely be headline banter for the week.

Pards Rule
January 24th, 2006, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=Pard4Life... and we sent the stadium to the bathroom in the middle 4th quarter. [/QUOTE]

LOL, Pard...Good one. I ALMOST got into a fight with a UD dewd. I was waving around a stuffed leopard (which I have had since my freshman year and have brought to 26 Lehigh games since) and bonked the head of the Hen as he was walking on the concourse. The Hens were in a fowl mood at that point and he challenged me. Well, I had pretty much the entire JV squad sitting around me and one guy that was sitting next to me stood up and said "Hen, you heard of NATO? This section is LEPO. Take a hike" And he did.

Pard4Life
January 24th, 2006, 02:27 PM
LOL, Pard...Good one. I ALMOST got into a fight with a UD dewd. I was waving around a stuffed leopard (which I have had since my freshman year and have brought to 26 Lehigh games since) and bonked the head of the Hen as he was walking on the concourse. The Hens were in a fowl mood at that point and he challenged me. Well, I had pretty much the entire JV squad sitting around me and one guy that was sitting next to me stood up and said "Hen, you heard of NATO? This section is LEPO. Take a hike" And he did.

Nice story. UD fans I saw were ok and the parking people were pretty nice considering many of them up here are jerks.

LBPop
January 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I'm sure Delaware would draw at Georgetown, but where would they park?

Yes the truth hurts, but that will always be a problem when Georgetown draws a big crowd. I think Delaware would draw really well in DC...lot's of local Alumni. In fact, I suspect that a certain local Alum who seems to post in the thousands on this board might host one helluva tailgate. :nod: xprost2x

ngineer
January 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM
If Lehigh timed UD's visit with one of our bigger 'event' weekends like Volunteer Day or Parent's Weekend, the game would be a sellout. Even if it were on one of the 'lesser' event weekends, I'd be shocked if less than 13-14,000 showed. Despite the lull in the series, there are still alot of people around from the 70's and 80's who remember the big games. Oh, and as someone has already noted, Rheinhard is gone..and good riddance. He had a sour attitude about everything.

blukeys
January 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I think it would do a lot to generate fan interest for the UD fans. I attended last year's LU-UD game in Newark and given the animosity that I received, it seems that LU creates enough buzz and excitement that a trip to Bethlehem would re-establish an old rivalry. I think the LU-UD series is far more interesting to UD fans than say UD-Hofstra or UD-URI, etc. Two big fan bases in the same general vicinity seems like a good recipe. As for Paul Reinhard, he is now retired, so I think we should move on from that one. I loved the game at UD last year (outcome, notwithstanding), but would balk at always having to see that match-up at UD. Time to come to Pa.

There is UD fan interest in a Lehigh game as there are plenty of Lehigh alums in Delaware and there are many UD alums in the Lehigh Valley. I have a drinking buddy who cannot get off of the UD - Lehigh rivalry. And at times it gets old. Lehigh alums wax poetic about their team and seem to be able to recite the exploits of every Lehigh win over Delaware since 1951. When I mention the overall record they change the subject to "no scholarships" Of course most of UD's advantage in the series came when UD was "no scholarship"

As far as going to PA. The issue is financial. UD just makes a lot more money on home games and they can get Hofstra and UNH to come in as non-con opponents. These are teams equal to Lehigh.

I believe UD would go to Lehigh with the right guarantee and that is the reason I asked in my first post if a UD matchup would increase turnout at any PL school. Would the increased interest and attendance allow a Lehigh athletic administration to be amenable to UD financial demands? I don't think this would be the case but If the Lehigh admin. REALLY looked at serious promotion, maybe they could sharpen their pencils. Lehigh obviously would have to be really committed.

Old Timers like me would like to see some of the old Mac teams such as Lehigh and Lafayette. I think there would be a similar interest in Colgate but for different reasons. The UD - Colgate story is one of UD vexing some of the best Colgate teams. Hen fans love that kind of story. Fordham is a different story. They are NYC media darlings and I wanted to know if UD could garner extra coverage. Joltin' Joe gave a realistic appraisal and it was along the lines of what I expected but I appreciated his confirmation of my views.

If UD fans can't park they can't tailgate and this blows G'town out of the water. I think G'town could be a visitor to Newark. I have to confess My Dad went to both G'town and UD so this influenced my decision to consider GU. Also, G'Town is one of the few schools sponsoring a boxing team and I think boxing and wrestling should be encouraged.

Finally, Hawker don't take UD hostility to much to heart. It was the first game of the season and the UD denizens were just warming up. If you want to see their A Game check out the Nova game!!!! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

blukeys
January 24th, 2006, 05:12 PM
If Lehigh timed UD's visit with one of our bigger 'event' weekends like Volunteer Day or Parent's Weekend, the game would be a sellout. Even if it were on one of the 'lesser' event weekends, I'd be shocked if less than 13-14,000 showed. Despite the lull in the series, there are still alot of people around from the 70's and 80's who remember the big games. Oh, and as someone has already noted, Rheinhard is gone..and good riddance. He had a sour attitude about everything.

ngineer the Morning Call drug Rheinhard out of retirement for the 2004 game and subsequent articles. Of course my relatives in Pa email me his articles just to get my goat and raise my blood pressure. :rolleyes:

blukeys
January 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Why do Delaware fans love tormenting Tavani?? We only played you once recently... and we sent the stadium to the bathroom in the middle 4th quarter. If anything you should be avoiding us.

Pard, Delaware fans torment every opposing Coach. Tavani is not even in the top 10. Sorry :eek:

The most hated coach is still Wayne Hardin who was supposed to lead Temple to greatness and had to deal with the wrath of Hen fans when the Temple administration said that they were "too good" to keep scheduling Delaware. A really very close second is Talley at Nova. Talley has never said anything negative about Delaware but he does coach Nova.
Gardi at Hofstra came in with the attitude that as a former Pro coach he knew it all and was going to show Delaware something about football.

I can go on and on. The fact is the East Stands (Visitor's side) is loaded with the most Loud and clever taunters in all of Delaware Stadium. They live to get coaches and players off of their games. Some Line the area where visitors come in just to harass them and to get into their heads. I have witnessed where players have totally lost focus by trying to respond to the crowd and certain tormentors. Portland State had a wideout who was benched in 2000 because he constantly tried to deal with UD taunters.

There was one taunter who spent the entire first half of the 2004 playoff game constantly tormenting Tavani. At Half time Tavani turned to the guy and challenged him to a mano on mano. The guy's box is on the 25 yard line of the Tub. All of the East Stands saw it and roared their approval when Tavani made the challenge. Tavani was restrained by assistants and went into the Lockerroom. The UD fan was high fived and treated like a celeb for getting an opposing coach to lose his cool. This was his objective although I don't think he thought it would ever happen.

Trust me Pard, Mickey Matthews, Tim Stowers, Jim Laycock etc. know that Delaware does not just pick on Lafayette coaches. Coach baiting at Delaware is an art.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 24th, 2006, 06:02 PM
ngineer the Morning Call drug Rheinhard out of retirement for the 2004 game and subsequent articles. Of course my relatives in Pa email me his articles just to get my goat and raise my blood pressure. :rolleyes:

Paul still can be seen at Lehigh and Lafayette games around the Lehigh Valley every once in a while. Good to see he still has the stuff :cool:

blukeys
January 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Paul still can be seen at Lehigh and Lafayette games around the Lehigh Valley every once in a while. Good to see he still has the stuff :cool:

He and Tubby Raymond still have a hate/hate relationship. His views unfortunately still color the reporting at the Morning Call. His anti UD bigotry may sell well in the Lehigh Valley but they are light years from reality.

ngineer
January 24th, 2006, 08:01 PM
There is UD fan interest in a Lehigh game as there are plenty of Lehigh alums in Delaware and there are many UD alums in the Lehigh Valley. I have a drinking buddy who cannot get off of the UD - Lehigh rivalry. And at times it gets old. Lehigh alums wax poetic about their team and seem to be able to recite the exploits of every Lehigh win over Delaware since 1951. When I mention the overall record they change the subject to "no scholarships" Of course most of UD's advantage in the series came when UD was "no scholarship"

As far as going to PA. The issue is financial. UD just makes a lot more money on home games and they can get Hofstra and UNH to come in as non-con opponents. These are teams equal to Lehigh.

I believe UD would go to Lehigh with the right guarantee and that is the reason I asked in my first post if a UD matchup would increase turnout at any PL school. Would the increased interest and attendance allow a Lehigh athletic administration to be amenable to UD financial demands? I don't think this would be the case but If the Lehigh admin. REALLY looked at serious promotion, maybe they could sharpen their pencils. Lehigh obviously would have to be really committed.
Old Timers like me would like to see some of the old Mac teams such as Lehigh and Lafayette. I think there would be a similar interest in Colgate but for different reasons. The UD - Colgate story is one of UD vexing some of the best Colgate teams. Hen fans love that kind of story. Fordham is a different story. They are NYC media darlings and I wanted to know if UD could garner extra coverage. Joltin' Joe gave a realistic appraisal and it was along the lines of what I expected but I appreciated his confirmation of my views.

If UD fans can't park they can't tailgate and this blows G'town out of the water. I think G'town could be a visitor to Newark. I have to confess My Dad went to both G'town and UD so this influenced my decision to consider GU. Also, G'Town is one of the few schools sponsoring a boxing team and I think boxing and wrestling should be encouraged.

Finally, Hawker don't take UD hostility to much to heart. It was the first game of the season and the UD denizens were just warming up. If you want to see their A Game check out the Nova game!!!! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Did Lehigh get any money out of it's trip to Newark this year? If not, than I don't see it happening without the ol' 'quid pro quo' which is Latin for 'tit for tat'.. ;) UD last visited Goodman in 1997 and it was a very good game with the Hens winning 24-19. Did UD get money for that appearance? I also recall a good size crowd at that game with UD bringing about 2500-3000.

kardplayer
January 24th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Here's some stats about Lehigh regular season home games the last two years:

9/4 vs. Stony Brook 7,116
9/11 vs. Villanova 12,235
10/2 vs. Albany 6,874
10/23 vs. Bucknell 11,218 (alumni weekend)
10/30 vs. Colgate 13,929 (possibly family weekend, plus it was thought to be the PL championship game)
11/13 vs. Fordham 6,218

9/3 vs. Monmouth 8,063
10/8 vs. Holy Cross 5,713 (monsoon)
10/15 vs. Yale 10,414 (alumni weekend)
11/5 vs. Georgetown 13,071 (family weekend)
11/19 vs. Lafayette 16,017

I would think UD would draw similarly to Villanova - as I recall that was a beautiful fall day, so I think that was about a big a crowd as 'Nova could draw at Goodman. That's about 4k more than a mid-major. At $15/ticket, that's about $60,000.

I would think Harvard or Penn would also draw in that neighborhood. With Harvard coming to Goodman this year, we'll have some actual data.

ngineer
January 24th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Here's some stats about Lehigh regular season home games the last two years:

9/4 vs. Stony Brook 7,116
9/11 vs. Villanova 12,235
10/2 vs. Albany 6,874
10/23 vs. Bucknell 11,218 (alumni weekend)
10/30 vs. Colgate 13,929 (possibly family weekend, plus it was thought to be the PL championship game)
11/13 vs. Fordham 6,218

9/3 vs. Monmouth 8,063
10/8 vs. Holy Cross 5,713 (monsoon)
10/15 vs. Yale 10,414 (alumni weekend)
11/5 vs. Georgetown 13,071 (family weekend)
11/19 vs. Lafayette 16,017

I would think UD would draw similarly to Villanova - as I recall that was a beautiful fall day, so I think that was about a big a crowd as 'Nova could draw at Goodman. That's about 4k more than a mid-major. At $15/ticket, that's about $60,000.

I would think Harvard or Penn would also draw in that neighborhood. With Harvard coming to Goodman this year, we'll have some actual data.

I think UD travels much better than 'nova, hence my thought that a sellout would be likely for Family Weekend--note the last two Family Weekends drew over 13,000 against teams that don't bring many fans along.

GannonFan
January 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM
As for your reference to the "administration," I should point out that, to the Lafayette administrators, Delaware football represents all that is evil in intercollegiate athletics. It is not by accident that there has been only one game (that 2004 playoff game at Delaware) since the late 60's. I believe that they used to term it "overemphasis on sports." I haven't heard much of this in the past 10 years or so, but before that...

Man, if UD football, which has never violated NCAA rules, if what Lafayette considers to "represent all that is evil in intercollegiate athletics" I would be scared of their reaction to most of the big IA schools - they would either faint or have heart attacks if they bothered to look there, with the felons, illegal contributions from boosters, etc. Maybe they'd think more kindly on UD if they looked at the whole picture?

As for UD going to Lehigh, I wouldn't say it's impossible. Every game except for the one last year was played with a return date - so in the 90's UD went to Lehigh as often as Lehigh went to UD (well, outside of the playoff game obviously). This past game was just a one time deal, which Lehigh knew coming into it. I'm not adverse to playing at Lehigh, it's a great venue and actually closer for me to go to than Newark is. But UD's changed their stance and they want the 7 home dates per year - as long as there are takers for that I'm sure they'll continue doing it. Can't argue with the logic of it.

Go...gate
January 25th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I think UD would draw well at Colgate. Can't help noticing that Gettysburg was in the MAC. IMHO, they would be a nice fit for the Patriot.

LUHawker
January 25th, 2006, 02:41 PM
As for UD going to Lehigh, I wouldn't say it's impossible. Every game except for the one last year was played with a return date - so in the 90's UD went to Lehigh as often as Lehigh went to UD (well, outside of the playoff game obviously). This past game was just a one time deal, which Lehigh knew coming into it. I'm not adverse to playing at Lehigh, it's a great venue and actually closer for me to go to than Newark is. But UD's changed their stance and they want the 7 home dates per year - as long as there are takers for that I'm sure they'll continue doing it. Can't argue with the logic of it.

I think the one game deal with UD in '05 was to fill in the one year that LU-Villanova couldn't happen, so that is no surprise. I don't fault UD for wanting 7 home dates a year. However, I would not support resuming the rivalry unless it was for home-and-homes. Otherwise, I'm sure LU could find some takers as well.

LUHawker
January 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I think UD would draw well at Colgate. Can't help noticing that Gettysburg was in the MAC. IMHO, they would be a nice fit for the Patriot.

Is Gettysburg DII or DIII currently?

GannonFan
January 25th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Is Gettysburg DII or DIII currently?

DIII

colgate13
January 25th, 2006, 03:24 PM
DIII

With one of the most non PC names out there: The Bullets!

blukeys
January 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM
With one of the most non PC names out there: The Bullets!

But totally appropriate!!!

kardplayer
January 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I think UD travels much better than 'nova, hence my thought that a sellout would be likely for Family Weekend--note the last two Family Weekends drew over 13,000 against teams that don't bring many fans along.

Fair point about UD travelling better than 'nova - although Nova's a lot closer than UD is so that might balance it a touch.

There's no way we would make it family weekend... the quality of the game is the draw. We can save Family Weekend for a game where: a) we wouldn't otherwise have a lot of paid attendance and b) we "should" win vs. we "could" win.

ngineer
January 25th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Fair point about UD travelling better than 'nova - although Nova's a lot closer than UD is so that might balance it a touch.

There's no way we would make it family weekend... the quality of the game is the draw. We can save Family Weekend for a game where: a) we wouldn't otherwise have a lot of paid attendance and b) we "should" win vs. we "could" win.

True there. We had well over 13,000 for Georgetown this year, which if not on Family Weekend would likely have been around 10,000. However, I think Delaware would bring more than 'nova. the Wildcats don't draw that well at their own field for 'regular' games. Only for rivalry games do they sell out.

ngineer
January 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Yes, Gettysburg would be a nice fit for the PL if they wanted to move up. They've become a 'hot' college in terms of HS admissions counselors. Has an excellent reputation as a liberal arts college. But they chose to downgrade in the 1970's and I'm not aware of any move afoot to change.

blukeys
January 25th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Yes, Gettysburg would be a nice fit for the PL if they wanted to move up. They've become a 'hot' college in terms of HS admissions counselors. Has an excellent reputation as a liberal arts college. But they chose to downgrade in the 1970's and I'm not aware of any move afoot to change.

Gettysburg is the only member of the Old MAC that is not I-A or I-AA. I don't know what their finances are for athletics but they are a fit with the PL as far as their academic profile. I'd love to see the old Bullets play again. They were usually the UD opener.

ngineer
January 25th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Gettysburg is the only member of the Old MAC that is not I-A or I-AA. I don't know what their finances are for athletics but they are a fit with the PL as far as their academic profile. I'd love to see the old Bullets play again. They were usually the UD opener.

I doubt they want to return to the 'big time'. I remember when we played them in the '70's they were really bad. Everyone got to play in those games. It was hard keeping the score down. Lehigh's scores versus Gettysburg from 1973 to 1977 (the last game): 43-15,14-6, 56-22,56-15,47-0. Not sure what happened in that 1974 game. I imagine the Hens' scores were similar.