PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 2

carney2
September 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM
So much for a clean sweep in Week 1. Week 2 appears more difficult with only the 4th game on the list a certain win for the Patriot League.

Villanova @ LEHIGH

COLGATE @ Furman

HOLY CROSS @ Massachusetts

GEORGETOWN @ LAFAYETTE

BUCKNELL @ Marist

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM

Patriot League vs. OOC = 4-2:

vs. MEAC: 1-0
vs. NEC: 1-2
vs. Pioneer: 2-0

RECORDS/STANDINGS:

League/Overall
Colgate 0-0/1-0
Georgetown 0-0/1-0
Holy Cross 0-0/1-0
Lehigh 0-0/1-0
Lafayette 0-0/0-0
Bucknell 0-0/0-1
Fordham 0-0/0-1

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I'm going to wait to see how the week plays out but i do believe HC, Lehigh and Colgate will all play well. I don't expect any of them to win however.

Lehigh fans should keep an eye on the 'Nova injury front. They got pretty banged up on Friday, especially on defense. Just read that one of their starting OL might have broke his ankle.

Outside of Walker, terrible luck, Lehigh seemed to get out of Iowa in pretty good shape.

RichH2
September 6th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Tough week, I hope the old saw that teams improve the most between 1st and 2nd game applies to Pl teams this week ( of course only for us not our opponents)
Nova over LU tight game until late
Gate over Furman Eachus and Sullivan , as advertised, D not so much. Best D for Gate here is to not let Furman have the ball.
Mass over HC close
LC over Georgetown GU has advantage of a game in but LC too good.
BU over Marist, no reason as BU showed no O 1st time out
URI not good but FU D same as last yr so far, a berserk fire drill of players that cant cover or tackle

ngineer
September 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I doubt Hagreen will be available for this week, and could be out for a couple weeks with a bum knee. At least we have some depth at TE, but his athleticism as a deeper threat will be missed. Rackley's ankle seemed to hold up, although he had to come out of the game on occasion, limping. Hopefully, it was not aggravated. Gordon still recuperating his quad contusion; saw limited time Saturday. His addition really gives us a number of options at WR with the rise of Spadola along with Zurn, Drwal, and Sopraesetyo.

Yes the brain says go with 'nova, but if we can clean up the numerous mistakes that allowed Drake back in the game, we can win this game. So, yes, I'll go with the homer pick and call the upset of the decade. Lehigh 27-24.

Colgate can beat Furman by controlling the ball. Monmouth showed the weakness in their D, which Furman will try to exploit with much better athletes. Could turn into a track meet, but Furman's first game of the season, so some kinks and mistakes will be made. Raiders do the raiding and surprise the Paladins, 31-27.

Umass will be sky high after knocking off highly rated Bill & Mary. Could be a letdown? Can't have a letdown this early in the season. HC got to work out their kinks against a non-threat. UMass will present too much of a change-up tempo and jump out early, from which HC can't recover. Minutemen in a second, 28-14.

Georgetown comes to Fisher looking to start a winning streak. Lafayette in its first game will have the likely the mistakes and this game may be uncomfortably close for awhile before LC's physical superiority takes hold. I'm picking the 'pards by in a closer than expected contest, 17-13. Close enought that if the new LC QB's stumble a turnover here and there could result in a massive upset.

Bison have to break out for new HC. Red Foxes will play with them, but Bison get win #1 in the Susan era, 21-14.

URI got spanked pretty good, but that was expected. Rams got spanked by....Bryant? Another stinker like last week and Fordham's season could start swirling like.....Both teams need to prove something to someone. At least Fordham showed some offense, so I'll go with the Rams in a track meet, 41-37.

carney2
September 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Villanova @ LEHIGH
VILLANOVA The Squawkers are hoping for some sort of moral victory. Take it from the folks in Easton who have seen a few of these - you win or you lose; the rest is crapola. This one will be tied at the opening kickoff. After that,…

COLGATE @ Furman
FURMAN ‘gate weaknesses get revealed as they step up a notch or two.

UMASS The Minutemen look like the real deal after rolling up 438 yds. vs. Top 10 W&M. Those that see this one as close are hallucinating.

GEORGETOWN @ LAFAYETTE
LAFAYETTE Not expecting much more than a scrimmage under the lights, the Pard faithful are preparing grade reports for their new QB.

BUCKNELL @ Marist
BUCKNELL A Coach Named Sue gets a second chance at his first win. Lose this one and the Buffaloes may think they’ve hired Susan B. Anthony or Susan Sarandon or Susan Boyle or… In any event the Buffs need to find some offense. 178 yds. ain’t gonna get it done.

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM
RHODE ISLAND Fordham renews its membership in the Cupcake of the Week Club even though they choked on the first one. When you run up 500 yds. of offense and still lose to an NEC team that could not break .500 a year ago, you have to believe that your defense will be at least that bad when they venture into the CAA. Could go either way if the Rhody defense misses the bus.

TheValleyRaider
September 6th, 2010, 11:27 PM
5-1, good start to the season for me

Villanova at Lehigh Villanova Now the going gets rough. Villanova returns too much from their National Championship team, and their near miss against Temple was far more impressive than Lehigh's win at Drake. Hawks put up a fight, but if I'm not buying them to win the League, I certainly don't expect them to beat a team as strong as the Wildcats

Colgate at Furman Colgate Yeah, I picked us. The defense will need to be better than they were in the 2nd half, and our special teams need to be better, period. Having a game under our belts while Furman is opening their season is the biggest thing we have going for us. Well, that and Sullivan the gamer. I want to believe

Holy Cross at Massachusetts Massachusetts Hard to get a real read on the Cross in week 1, as I'm not sure Howard is even the best Bison team HC will see this year. UMass will be a totally different test, and they're coming off a strong performance against William & Mary. If UMass starts slow, the Crusaders could hang in there, but in the end, the Minutemen will be too much

Georgetown at Lafayette Lafayette Patriot League opener. Leopards breaking in a new QB, which should make that opening game more interesting than usual for them. Still, they lucked out getting the Hoyas. One win over Davidson does not suddenly make Georgetown capable of winning in Easton

Bucknell at Marist Bucknell The Susan Era got off to a rough start, falling at Duquesne. I do think the Dukes are better than the Red Foxes, and even though it's on the road, Poughkeepsie just doesn't set the nerves to shaking. The new coach gets win #1 for the Bison on the banks of the Hudson. Losing at Marist might start the rumblings about Bucknell's ability to get a win this year.

Rhode Island at Fordham Fordham I want to give up picking Fordham, mostly because I really don't know what to expect. Being at home, I'm going to take them over CAA doormat URI, but the red Ram defense is not going to make that an easy task

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2010, 11:45 PM
A little dose of reality for Lehigh, Colgate and Holy Cross fans.

Holy Cross- outside of beating Northeastern last year, you have not beaten an AQ team since 1991. Seriously...

Colgate- your play against the big boys has been pitiful except for your run in '03. Outside of your win against UMass in '05 you haven't been competitive in marquee OOC games.

Lehigh - You've been dreadful in OOC play and shown very little ability to overachieve. Don't expect that to change against the #1/#2 team in the country.

letsgopards04
September 7th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Villanova @ LEHIGH

COLGATE @ Furman

GEORGETOWN @ LAFAYETTE - How will the post-Rob Curley era stack up? It shouldn't even matter this week.

BUCKNELL @ Marist

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM

jimbo65
September 7th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Nova Wildcats chew on Birds
Raiders fall to Palladins, will Richard Boone be there?
hc in the wc as Minutemen roll it up
Gtown falls to Pards, the streak ends at one
Bison over foxes, I hope
bad rams butted by good Rams, if not as Sugar Ray Richardson said about the Knicks "the ship do be sinking".

Lehigh Football Nation
September 7th, 2010, 09:11 AM
UMASS The Minutemen look like the real deal after rolling up 438 yds. vs. Top 10 W&M. Those that see this one as close are hallucinating.

I'll say it here - I watched the entire UMass game, and benefited tremendously from a William & Mary offense that was as vanilla as ice cream - and even then, William & Mary was a bounce here or a bounce there from winning this game. I'm eager to see what a real offense will do against the Minutemen - and I am thinking hard about picking this game as an "upset". For any of Holy Cross' faults, lack of offense is not one of them.

401ks
September 7th, 2010, 10:08 AM
My morning chuckle...

... benefited tremendously from a William & Mary offense that was as vanilla as ice cream...

Would that be chocolate ice cream, neopolitan ice cream, or maybe tutti frutti ice cream?

;)

OL FU
September 7th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Glad to see the picks are going both ways on the Colgate Furman game. Going the same way on the SoCon week 2 predictions. No doubt FU comes in with a big ? since we haven't played yet. The question of the week is who will be our QB. Most assumed it would be Forcier the UCLA transfer. But comments from the coaching staff and the fact that a starter hasn't been named has led some to think that he may have been beaten out of the position during pre-season practice by Worley. Of course this could just be the coaches keeping the starter close to the vest. Forcier definitely adds speed to our offense. May be one of the fastest guys on the field when we play.

Question, how does this year's Colgate team compare to 08. I think Furman will be better with a mobile QB (whoever it is) and generally better skill position players than 08. Defense seems to have improved but only the game will decide whether that is the case or not.

Ken_Z
September 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Villanova 35 @ LEHIGH 14: come on Lehigh prove KenZ and Andy Talley wrong. i only like one of those guys anyway

COLGATE 24 @ Furman 21: Gators will have to play better in week #2, but they usually do

HOLY CROSS 35 @ Massachusetts 52: a game for those who like offense

GEORGETOWN 7 @ LAFAYETTE 28: with a win in the books, Georgetown's work is done.

BUCKNELL 14 @ Marist 10: a game for those who dislike offense

Rhode Island 28 @ FORDHAM 27: worst case scenario, Fordham stinks up the ooc and then wins the unofficial PL title. don't think that will happen, but stinking up the ooc is certainly possible.

Pard4Life
September 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Yes the brain says go with 'nova, but if we can clean up the numerous mistakes that allowed Drake back in the game, we can win this game. So, yes, I'll go with the homer pick and call the upset of the decade. Lehigh 27-24.

Georgetown comes to Fisher looking to start a winning streak. Lafayette in its first game will have the likely the mistakes and this game may be uncomfortably close for awhile before LC's physical superiority takes hold. I'm picking the 'pards by in a closer than expected contest, 17-13. Close enought that if the new LC QB's stumble a turnover here and there could result in a massive upset.

Comments like these lend truth to the perception that the Lehigh fan base believes it will go 9-2 every year.... xwhistlex

ngineer
September 7th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Comments like these lend truth to the perception that the Lehigh fan base believes it will go 9-2 every year.... xwhistlex

Geez, it sure has taken long enough for someone to give me a rip on that...If you don't think you have a shot at pulling off the upset, then you shouldn't be on the field. Yes, we have to play a close to perfect game and the fact that we haven't played such a game in about 5 years means we're due..xnodx

carney2
September 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Question, how does this year's Colgate team compare to 08. I think Furman will be better with a mobile QB (whoever it is) and generally better skill position players than 08. Defense seems to have improved but only the game will decide whether that is the case or not.

I'm certainly not the guy to give you a knowledgeable opinion, but my guess is that the 2010 Raiders are slightly less than the 2008 team. Certainly the graduation of Pat Simonds reduces their passing game and the defense continues questionable. On the plus side, QB Sullivan is an experienced senior, and just does not make mistakes. RB Eachus is a handful, and the FU crowd will need to gang tackle him to hold him in check. As I recall, the 2008 Paladins doubled up the 'gates by something like 42-21. I would be surprised at that kind of a spread this time around. If you have a ticket I think you may be in for an enjoyable afternoon of football.

OL FU
September 7th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I'm certainly not the guy to give you a knowledgeable opinion, but my guess is that the 2010 Raiders are slightly less than the 2008 team. Certainly the graduation of Pat Simonds reduces their passing game and the defense continues questionable. On the plus side, QB Sullivan is an experienced senior, and just does not make mistakes. RB Eachus is a handful, and the FU crowd will need to gang tackle him to hold him in check. As I recall, the 2008 Paladins doubled up the 'gates by something like 42-21. I would be surprised at that kind of a spread this time around. If you have a ticket I think you may be in for an enjoyable afternoon of football.

There was a discussion on the Colgate board about the spread in 08 and it was my opinion that score wasn't indicative of the game. The game at one point was 28-21. I think Furman was the better team but I think the real difference was more in the 7-10 points area. Also, my recollection is that Colgate was a better team as the season progressed while we, well we weren't. We did pick up 500+yards during the game. I don't necessarily expect the same output but I will be disappointed if our offense doesn't produce both points and stats. The question for me, is will the Colgate offense do the same to us.

and yes, I have tickets.xthumbsupx

Franks Tanks
September 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
There was a discussion on the Colgate board about the spread in 08 and it was my opinion that score wasn't indicative of the game. The game at one point was 28-21. I think Furman was the better team but I think the real difference was more in the 7-10 points area. Also, my recollection is that Colgate was a better team as the season progressed while we, well we weren't. We did pick up 500+yards during the game. I don't necessarily expect the same output but I will be disappointed if our offense doesn't produce both points and stats. The question for me, is will the Colgate offense do the same to us.

and yes, I have tickets.xthumbsupx

The Gate offense will be formidable. Nate Eachus is as good of a RB you will find in FCS, and Sullivan is a capable and efficient QB. The Gate offense will score points.

However, it appears that their D is still a bit questionable. My guess is another game quite simialr to the one in 08.

OL FU
September 7th, 2010, 02:08 PM
The Gate offense will be formidable. Nate Eachus is as good of a RB you will find in FCS, and Sullivan is a capable and efficient QB. The Gate offense will score points.

However, it appears that their D is still a bit questionable. My guess is another game quite simialr to the one in 08.'

So I took take the over on 100 game pointsxlolxxthumbsupx

carney2
September 7th, 2010, 03:15 PM
So I took take the over on 100 game pointsxlolxxthumbsupx

Not a bad thought. Last year it was Lafayette 56, Colgate 49.

ngineer
September 7th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Colgate's defense appears to be their achilles heal at the moment. If Monmouth can put up 30 points on them, the Have Gun Will Travels should have a feast. The over/under could be around 100.

van
September 7th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Don't normally give much credence to this thread, but I'm bored tonight so here goes:

Villanova @ LEHIGH, Nova in a close one

COLGATE @ Furman, Furman in a wild one

HOLY CROSS @ Massachusetts, Holy Cross (U Mass over rated)

GEORGETOWN @ LAFAYETTE, Hoyas already won one, so cats in this one

BUCKNELL @ Marist, Bison have not won one yet, so this is their chance

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM, Fordham eeks it out

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Is Lafayette worried about Georgetown? Well, Paul Reinhard isn't.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/mc-lafayette-feature0907-20100907,0,2497249.story

ngineer
September 7th, 2010, 10:14 PM
This is the best game to catch the Leopards for G'town. First game, new QB, some untested newbies could make for some opportunities for the Rocks. I still pick Laugheyette, but could be closer than many think.

Franks Tanks
September 7th, 2010, 10:33 PM
This is the best game to catch the Leopards for G'town. First game, new QB, some untested newbies could make for some opportunities for the Rocks. I still pick Laugheyette, but could be closer than many think.

It wont be a blowout, but the Leopards will win comfortably. I predict a 28-7 type score. Georgetown just really struggles on the line and we are big and talented on both lines, and should be able to run the ball well.

DFW HOYA
September 7th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Georgetown just really struggles on the line and we are big and talented on both lines, and should be able to run the ball well.

The line is better but attrition and inexperience are continuing problems. So were the Hoyas a better team in 2003 (with a senior class recruited before joining the PL) than they are today?

"Multi-Sport Field, where the Hoyas play home games, has been waylaid by lack of funding and delays...Georgetown and its opponents still have to use the nearby facilities in Southwest Quad for game day locker rooms." --Georgetown Voice

TheValleyRaider
September 7th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Perhaps a Colgate guy should answer this one too ;)

The offense isn't quite as explosive as it was in 2008, with Simonds now graduated. Still, they apparently moved the ball fairly well through the air during the 1st half before retreating into an offensive shell in the 2nd. The line is still strong, and Eachus is ready to roll. Sullivan is the offense's leader, and his overall play is vastly improved from when he suddenly took over the offense 2 weeks prior to the last Furman game

The defense is still worrisome, though Furman moved the ball just fine in 2008

The biggest change will likely have to come on Special Teams. We got burned on big returns in 2008 (and really most of the last few seasons), and the field position battle was consistently in Furman's favor. Optimistic reports from Saturday suggest we actually did a good job containing the Monmouth return game, but then again they also surrendered a return TD. If we can do a better job on the field position battle, we'll be able to keep the score more in line with the actual game flow. Optimistically speaking, that is...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Here's an honest take from the Villanova board.

#2 Villanova (0-1) at #40 Lehigh (1-0)
People, please don't expect an easy game and I'll tell you why. First,
it's a road game. Second, the Hawks always play Villanova tough before
they seem to self-destruct. That may not happen this year. This is a very
experienced team with 17 starters returning and who really began to gel
the 2nd half of last year. In game 7 last year, the Engineers won on the
road at Bucknell. In game 8 (away at undefeated Colgate), they only lost
by a touchdown. In game 9 they played the league (Patriot) champs and
almost upset them, losing by four. They won their last two games of the
season (one being archrival 8-3 Lafayette). They made it 3 in-a-row with
their 2010 opener, a win at Drake, 28-13, who was 8-3 last year. And they
return almost everyone.
The Cats, of course, should have won this year's match-up with Temple but
let it slip away. Remember, Cats, the target is on your back in every
game this year. Cats won last year, 38-17. This one will be much closer 31-24, Villanova.

The Villanova fans for the most part are showing Lehigh a lot of respect heading in to this game. I think it's going to be close as well. It would be awesome if 14-15k people showed up for this one. No one the PL can draw a crowd like Lehigh can. Goodman will be one of the best atmospheres in all of FCS this Saturday. It's going to be fun.

CFBfan
September 8th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Don't normally give much credence to this thread, but I'm bored tonight so here goes:

Villanova @ LEHIGH, Nova in a close one

COLGATE @ Furman, Furman in a wild one

HOLY CROSS @ Massachusetts, Holy Cross (U Mass over rated)

GEORGETOWN @ LAFAYETTE, Hoyas already won one, so cats in this one

BUCKNELL @ Marist, Bison have not won one yet, so this is their chance

Rhode Island @ FORDHAM, Fordham eeks it out

no worries, this doesn't give much credence to you, even when it's bored

OL FU
September 8th, 2010, 07:16 AM
Perhaps a Colgate guy should answer this one too ;)

The offense isn't quite as explosive as it was in 2008, with Simonds now graduated. Still, they apparently moved the ball fairly well through the air during the 1st half before retreating into an offensive shell in the 2nd. The line is still strong, and Eachus is ready to roll. Sullivan is the offense's leader, and his overall play is vastly improved from when he suddenly took over the offense 2 weeks prior to the last Furman game

The defense is still worrisome, though Furman moved the ball just fine in 2008

The biggest change will likely have to come on Special Teams. We got burned on big returns in 2008 (and really most of the last few seasons), and the field position battle was consistently in Furman's favor. Optimistic reports from Saturday suggest we actually did a good job containing the Monmouth return game, but then again they also surrendered a return TD. If we can do a better job on the field position battle, we'll be able to keep the score more in line with the actual game flow. Optimistically speaking, that is...

I am really looking forward to the game. Two schools similar in size and academics, (since you guys edge us out on the academic side we had better stay ahead in football) from different regions of the country. Great match up in all respects.

Also, I look forward to every season but this is the first in about three years that I am not just excited about the return of football, I am optimistic as well. Make it a great game, but don't spoil it for me:p

carney2
September 8th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Georgetown just really struggles on the line and we are big and talented on both lines, and should be able to run the ball well.

Frankly (no pun intended, Franks), you have a lot more confidence in Lafayette's big uglies than I do. Lots of new people on both sides of the ball. Lots of uncertainty. The offensive line is particularly perplexing. We probably agree however, that Georgetown should not be a severe test up front.

Sader87
September 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Here's an honest take from the Villanova board.

#2 Villanova (0-1) at #40 Lehigh (1-0)
People, please don't expect an easy game and I'll tell you why. First,
it's a road game. Second, the Hawks always play Villanova tough before
they seem to self-destruct. That may not happen this year. This is a very
experienced team with 17 starters returning and who really began to gel
the 2nd half of last year. In game 7 last year, the Engineers won on the
road at Bucknell. In game 8 (away at undefeated Colgate), they only lost
by a touchdown. In game 9 they played the league (Patriot) champs and
almost upset them, losing by four. They won their last two games of the
season (one being archrival 8-3 Lafayette). They made it 3 in-a-row with
their 2010 opener, a win at Drake, 28-13, who was 8-3 last year. And they
return almost everyone.
The Cats, of course, should have won this year's match-up with Temple but
let it slip away. Remember, Cats, the target is on your back in every
game this year. Cats won last year, 38-17. This one will be much closer 31-24, Villanova.

The Villanova fans for the most part are showing Lehigh a lot of respect heading in to this game. I think it's going to be close as well. It would be awesome if 14-15k people showed up for this one. No one the PL can draw a crowd like Lehigh can. Goodman will be one of the best atmospheres in all of FCS this Saturday. It's going to be fun.

I beg to differ. I know the game is at UMass this week but HC will have a big contingent there. Friendly wager that HC@UMass outdraws Nova@Lehigh?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I meant in terms of a home crowd. There will be between 12-14k at both Umass and Lehigh.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Sader how dare you question Lehigh.

They will draw 16k to Goodman and defeat the defending national champions. Anything less than a 9-2 season will be an utter failure for this squad (they did beat Drake by two TD's after all). Holy Cross, Colgate, and Lafayette cant hold a candle to this squad. Surely Cross and Gate will be crushed this weekend and Lafayette will be lucky to get past Georgetown.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2010, 09:23 AM
I will repeat again for the record that I think that Holy Cross/UMass game is a serious upset candidate. The question is: can HC's defense disrupt the methodical UMass 'O' enough to pull out the win?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Sader how dare you question Lehigh.

They will draw 16k to Goodman and defeat the defending national champions. Anything less than a 9-2 season will be an utter failure for this squad (they did beat Drake by two TD's after all). Holy Cross, Colgate, and Lafayette cant hold a candle to this squad. Surely Cross and Gate will be crushed this weekend and Lafayette will be lucky to get past Georgetown.

You said it not me. It'll be a fun atmosphere no matter what on Saturday. I think the Lehigh fans are pretty grounded this year for the most part. For the record i think Lafayette crushes the Hoyas on Saturday.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
You said it not me. It'll be a fun atmosphere no matter what on Saturday. I think the Lehigh fans are pretty grounded this year for the most part. For the record i think Lafayette crushes the Hoyas on Saturday.

Lehigh looks solid, but I dont see them getting past Nova. Still one of the best and most talented teams in FCS. It should be a good crowd, and I plan on being there as well to check out the Squaks and Wildcats.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Villanova @ Lehigh - This is the game of the week and it should be a good one. Villanova takes the very short ride north to Bethlehem; they're battle-tested and eager to stake their claim as FCS's best. The Engineers will give them a game, especially defensively. It should be close but the favored Wildcats ought to win this one. Villanova 20-17

Colgate @ Furman - I wish I'd seen more from the Red Raiders against Monmouth last weekend. I really do. This is a game I've been looking forward to since it was announced last year. The Paladins are untested this year but I'm thinking they'll do Charlemagne proud at home. Furman 21-14

Holy Cross @ Massachusetts - The Patriot's best team should continue its winning ways against its central Massachusetts rival. Both teams were impressive last week; the Minutemen had the much stronger test, of course. The era of the Crusaders in the PL has begun, however. Holy Cross 21-20

Georgetown @ Lafayette - Georgetown is a young team but Lafayette is just as inexperienced. The Hoyas dug deep and found an offense last week so they ought to have some needed confidence before their trip to Easton for the Pards' opener. Recent seasons have seen this game early in the schedules with the Hoyas always playing up tough. They'll be ready up on Mount St. Frank, though. Lafayette 31-10

Bucknell @ Marist - We saw nothing from the Bison last weekend. Nothing at all. At the same time, the Red Foxes had to scramble to come back from an early alarming deficit against Sacred Heart and they nearly pulled it off. My personal soft spot for Marist has nothing to do with this prediction. Marist 17-14

Rhode Island @ Fordham - We saw even less from the Rams last weekend. As Fordham eases gracefully away from the Patriot League towards greater things one would imagine the scholarship infusion would yield better play. It's only the newcomers that have the rides so we'll have to wait to see. Fordham fans will not be pleased with the outcome of this game against Rhode Island's soon-to-be second NEC team. Rhode Island 27-10.

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Georgetown is a young team but Lafayette is just as inexperienced.

I hope the Lafayette radio/TV broadcasters don't fall back on that "well, Georgetown is a young team" excuse. When was the last time anyone said "Georgetown is a veteran team?"

That's what attrition will do, I guess.

"Multi-Sport Field, where the Hoyas play home games, has been waylaid by lack of funding and delays...Georgetown and its opponents still have to use the nearby facilities in Southwest Quad for game day locker rooms." --Georgetown Voice

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2010, 09:43 AM
No one the PL can draw a crowd like Lehigh can.

Friendly wager that HC@UMass outdraws Nova@Lehigh?

I volunteer the Patriot League's attendance leader to tally the score for both of you. xnottalkingx

That said, McGuirk wins this one over Goodman by 1,700 fans. O/U is 11,000.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Only two lines up so far today:

Villanova (-13) at Lehigh

Furman (-10) vs. Colgate

The line on St. Francis PA (-3) at Morehead State is up, so why not the rest of the PL? One wonders.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Only two lines up so far today:

Furman (-10) vs. Colgate

The line on St. Francis PA (-3) at Morehead State is up, so why not the rest of the PL? One wonders.

The line looks right for the Lehigh game. I'm thinking a 31-21, 30-17 type score in favor of 'Nova.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
All Sportsbook lines are up now:

Furman (-10) vs. Colgate

UMass (-11) vs. Holy Cross

Lafayette (-20) vs. Georgetown

Rhode Island (pk) at Fordham

Bucknell (-1) at Marist

RichH2
September 8th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Would expect Pards to beat the spread. I hope lehigh can beat its spread. With a boat load of luck and fewer mistakes it is possible to dream of an upset but very unlikely. If the game serves to improve level of play by squad I will be satisfied if not happy. I know we ran a very vanilla O at Drake, will Cecchini unwrap it for Nova? Colvin?

The Rams game s/b interesting as it is equally possible that the final could be 56-55 or 3-0. Would not be surprised if Penalty yardage exceeded O yardage.

Gate _Furman could be best game. I expect Biddle will have his team ready.

kDex86
September 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Villanova -- Though the Wildcats are 0-1 and Lehigh 1-0, Villanova almost upset FBS Temple. Lehigh will keep it close, but I can't see them pulling out the big play...yet...

Colgate -- Longshot of the week. It's Furman's season opener and they may have some kinks to get out of their system. Sullivan and Eachus should be able to control the ball long enough to pull out a close victory.

UMass -- Holy Cross is 1-0, but they beat Howard. The Minutemen are a much, MUCH tougher opponent.

Lafayette -- Georgetown is improved this year, but are still not quite a match for the Leopards.

Bucknell -- 1st victory for the new head coach.

URI -- Though the (URI) Rams are the CAA doormat, Fordham had trouble -- defensively -- with Bryant. Until they can keep their opponents from regularly scoring, they won't be able to easily defeat any of their opponents, scholarships or not.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2010, 12:56 PM
scholarships or not

In the (unlikely) event that Lehigh, Holy Cross and Colgate all win this weekend, would we kiss (the principal rationale for) scholarships goodbye for another ten years?

Pard4Life
September 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Villanova 38, Lehigh 17 - Look what one win against Drake did... 9-2 here we come! A delusional engineer cannot see the obvious obstacle on the track ahead.

Colgate 24, Furman 21 - Toughest pick. Colgate has the talent, but they seem to struggle in the early weeks. I think this team is for real for real.

UMass 41, Holy Cross 21 - Thou shall not play defense.

Lafayette 24, Georgetown 7 - Hoyas play us close, but we usually win blowouts at Fisher. However it's the first game, so...

Bucknell 27, Marist 24 - Comparable skill levels... pick 'em.

Fordham 35, URI 30 - Show me the scholarships!

Last week: 3-3

CFBfan
September 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Bogus Megapardus;1549780]In the (unlikely) event that Lehigh, Holy Cross and Colgate all win this weekend, would we kiss (the principal rationale for) scholarships goodbye for another ten years?

Very interesting question. What if the PL wins 2 of the 3.....

Leopard Loyalist
September 8th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Villanova 31 Lehigh 21
Furman 28 Colgate 24
UMass 34 Holy Cross 21
Lafayette 28 Georgetown 10
Bucknell 20 Marist 17
URI 38 Fordham 28

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2010, 01:13 PM
In the (unlikely) event that Lehigh, Holy Cross and Colgate all win this weekend, would we kiss (the principal rationale for) scholarships goodbye for another ten years?

Presidents won't check the box scores of Week 2 in December.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2010, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Bogus Megapardus;1549780]In the (unlikely) event that Lehigh, Holy Cross and Colgate all win this weekend, would we kiss (the principal rationale for) scholarships goodbye for another ten years?

Very interesting question. What if the PL wins 2 of the 3.....

I think Lehigh should "take one for the team" and lose by about 50 to advance the scholarship discussion.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
[QUOTE=CFBfan;1549785]

I think Lehigh should "take one for the team" and lose by about 50 to advance the scholarship discussion.

Pard94, did Franks Tanks leave you his password again? xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM

I think a Patriot League trifecta (odds of happening: 500-1) would almost certainly open eyes in the presidents' offices.

Ken_Z
September 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM

with the exception of Bucknell President Bravman, winning/losing is not the reason the Presidents will vot for scholarships. the only reason the PL Presidents will vote in favor is if they are convinced it is needed for the league to survive and thrive.

i list Bravman as the exception simply because he is feshly arrived fromn Stanford and has not been reprogrammed by his PL peers (at least not yet).

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Villanova's only returning DL stater, Marlon Johnson, is done for the year with a torn ACL.

Franks Tanks
September 8th, 2010, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=Franks Tanks;1549792]

Hah-- i'm just very bored today. I am planning to be at Goodman on Saturday and I do hop Lehigh represents the league well.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM

One wonders if even they do that much. On College Hill, perhaps it's more like an after-the-fact inquiry, "are Princeton, Penn and Harvard still on the schedule next fall? OK, then, we're fine."

Not that I'm necessarily debating this reasoning . . . .

The only reason the PL Presidents will vote in favor is if they are convinced it is needed for the league to survive and thrive.

I won't do it, of course, but Franks and Pard94 might ask for a definition of "thrive."

I remain sanguine that the Bison will do their part in this regard. Maybe. I hope. In football, that is. Everything else they kick our s$$.

ngineer
September 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
The attendance really depends on 'nova. One would think they could bring 4,000 up to Goodman, as we took to their stadium the past two years, but I doubt it. Nova only puts about 5-6,000 of their own in their own stands. Forecast is pretty good for Saturday (Sunday is thunderstorms, so hopefully, they done arrive early). I say Goodman 13,000, McGirk 11,500.

Bogus Megapardus
September 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM
The attendance really depends on 'nova. One would think they could bring 4,000 up to Goodman, as we took to their stadium the past two years, but I doubt it. Nova only puts about 5-6,000 of their own in their own stands. Forecast is pretty good for Saturday (Sunday is thunderstorms, so hopefully, they done arrive early). I say Goodman 13,000, McGirk 11,500.

From Radnor Township a pleasant trip up Route 309 is akin to a colors-of-autumn weekend holiday. It's not unseemly to suggest that Wildcat faithful might be more inclined to take the bucolic thirty-five minute drive than to plant their keysters on the Spartan aluminum along Lancaster Avenue. No doubt that Goodman will outdraw a corresponding Villanova home game.

But McGuirk will do better, I imagine - only because fans actually will be able to see the scoreboard. You Engineers should invent a new one.

jayhawkdaddy
September 8th, 2010, 05:32 PM
9/11 Games (winner in all caps)

VILLANOVA @ Lehigh - VU will be a tougher test than Drake was!
Colgate @ FURMAN - Patriot League must get better to beat the SoCon teams!
Holy Cross @ UMASS - Coming off of an upset UMass will be ready for The 'Saders!
Georgetown @ LAFAYETTE - Early season PL game means early elimination from race by GU!
BUCKNELL @ Marist - No easy win for BU...but a win is a win!
RHODE ISLAND @ Fordham - URI should bounce back after last weeks "goose egg"!

Good Luck to all of the PL teams this week! May the better teams prevail!

Sader87
September 8th, 2010, 06:51 PM

I think McGuirk will be bigger than 11,500...it's the first game for UMass since their students returned (school hadn't started there yet last weekend), they had a big win over W&M, they go to the "Big House" the following weekend and aren't home again until early October. Holy Cross and its fans should travel well there too...for many HC alumni it's actually a shorter trip to Amherst than to the Woo. The one wild-card is the 6pm kick-off...could help or hurt, not sure which way actually.

With all that being said, I'll go with McGuirk 14,700 Goodman 12,500.

LUHawker
September 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM

I think attendance at Goodman will be 11-12k. Nova doesn't travel well, and while this is an interesting game for Lehigh fans, Nova fans generally yawn at it. Last time Nova was at Lehigh the fan base represented poorly and it was a great day (even if a bit too hot). Plus, marginal Lehigh fans are still in show me first mode.

carney2
September 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
[QUOTE=Lehigh Football Nation;1549807]I am planning to be at Goodman on Saturday and I do hope Lehigh represents the league well.

Franks brings up an interesting point. This is the only doubleheader day this year in the Lehigh Valley: Villanova @ Lehigh, 12:30, and Georgetown @ Lafayette, 6:00. Good weather, but potentially non-competitive games. Still, a doubleheader. Like Franks, I will be at both. If you have the opportunity, it will be a great day.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I think attendance at Goodman will be 11-12k. Nova doesn't travel well, and while this is an interesting game for Lehigh fans, Nova fans generally yawn at it. Last time Nova was at Lehigh the fan base represented poorly and it was a great day (even if a bit too hot). Plus, marginal Lehigh fans are still in show me first mode.

The attendance at the game this Saturday will be helped immensely by great weather, which is currently in the forecast, and a higher than usual bump in Nova fans. It is my belief that there are more of them out there than you think. There were a lot there in the Linc on Friday - yes, the Linc is different, but I do think they will draw better than expected.

RichH2
September 9th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Interesting perspective over on CAA thread. Basically picking Nova in a rout. I wonder how prescient they are and whether the LU brand of rose colored glasses may be fogging common sense. Ah well , what's the good of being a rabid fan without rooting for a hopeless quest. I need to find Sancho Panza before Saturday!

VUCats02
September 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM
The attendance at the game this Saturday will be helped immensely by great weather, which is currently in the forecast, and a higher than usual bump in Nova fans. It is my belief that there are more of them out there than you think. There were a lot there in the Linc on Friday - yes, the Linc is different, but I do think they will draw better than expected.

Idk about nova alumni but I do know there won't be many students going to the game on Saturday because it's the day of service where most students go out around Philly to do community service. It's a big thing at nova. I think that if that wasn't going on, you'd see a lot of nova students show up at lehigh this weekend.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Interesting perspective over on CAA thread. Basically picking Nova in a rout. I wonder how prescient they are and whether the LU brand of rose colored glasses may be fogging common sense. Ah well , what's the good of being a rabid fan without rooting for a hopeless quest. I need to find Sancho Panza before Saturday!

I think they're looking at this game through CAA colored glasses. Having seen Villanova last week against Temple and watching Lehigh against Drake i believe that it will be a competitive game. Lehigh and 'Nova have played enough times the last few years that the teams know each other well enough. I expect both teams to be well prepared.

If Lehigh makes mistakes it could get ugly. However, if there's improvement from last week and they clean up the garbage they have the horses to make make Villanova sweat.

If Lehigh were playing Temple this week i'm put TU as a 17-21 point favorites. This is basing it off the fact they never played before. Lehigh's defense is legit. The offense just can't put them in bad situations. Lum has to play very well and Lehigh has to make about 5 or 6 big plays. Big play could be a crucial 3rd and 5 that leads to a TD instead of a Fg

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 9th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Actually Villanova's fan support last week at the Linc was horrible. Their student body outnumbered their fans. 'Nova would be lucky if there where 3k non student fans there. 85% of the 32k was made up of Cherry and White

carney2
September 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Actually Villanova's fan support last week at the Linc was horrible. Their student body outnumbered their fans. 'Nova would be lucky if there 3k non student fans there. 85% of the 32k was made up of Cherry and While

That can't be right. Nova is going FBS.

'Gate93
September 9th, 2010, 01:18 PM
'Gate has a chance to prove it can play with the OOC big boys and win, which it can rarely do. These OOC matchups always hurt us. Something tells me Furman won't be at a disadvantage for not having played, and everyone will have Eachus's number. Traditionally, 'Gate has a very strong 4th Qtr and can eat up the clock but the PATs / FGs are never a given and cost us every time.

colorless raider
September 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
I am picking nova by 14 minimum over Lehigh and I see Furman by 14 over Gate. I hope I am wrong on the latter.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Actually Villanova's fan support last week at the Linc was horrible. Their student body outnumbered their fans. 'Nova would be lucky if there where 3k non student fans there. 85% of the 32k was made up of Cherry and White

I must have been looking at the student turnout, which seemed more solid. Anyway, learning that the Nova Day of Service is the same day as the Lehigh game does make me revise my estimate. I do think we should get more than 10K - had students made the trip, I think it could easily have been a lot more.

Go...gate
September 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Lehigh 28, Villanova 26

Furman 33, Colgate 24

Holy Cross 36, Massachusetts 31

Lafayette 44, Georgetown 16

Bucknell 27, Marist 13

Fordham 31, Rhode Island 28

Bogus Megapardus
September 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Lehigh 28, Villanova 26

Furman 33, Colgate 24

Holy Cross 36, Massachusetts 31

Lafayette 44, Georgetown 16

Bucknell 27, Marist 13

Fordham 31, Rhode Island 28

Go...gate, if you're going that far, why not go for the PL trifecta this weekend and give the Red Raiders the benefit of the doubt?

Go...gate
September 9th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Go...gate, if you're going that far, why not go for the PL trifecta this weekend and give the Red Raiders the benefit of the doubt?

I really want to, but I don't think our defense is strong enough. I can see us gaining a lot of yards but also giving up too many. I hope I'm wrong.

I think Lehigh can pull the upset and I believe Holy Cross has a strong enough club to beat UMass even without Randolph. My Fordham pick is the most hopeful of all, but I think they will bounce back on 9/11.

OL FU
September 10th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I am picking nova by 14 minimum over Lehigh and I see Furman by 14 over Gate. I hope I am wrong on the latter.

I am picking FU by 14 also, but I think it will be like two years ago with the teams much more evenly matched than the final score reflects. I think in the this case Paladin stadium might be worth 7.

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Given the "official" announcement about the Villanova Big East, this would be a fine weekend for Lehigh to step up big. (They can bank all those losses for later in the PL schedule.)

ColgateTD
September 10th, 2010, 09:13 AM
'Nova
UMass
Leopards
Bison
Rams
Furman - 'Gate looking ahead to 'Cuse

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Given the "official" announcement about the Villanova Big East, this would be a fine weekend for Lehigh to step up big. (They can bank all those losses for later in the PL schedule.)

This has been the year of the "big announcement before your school plays Lehigh". First Drake playing in Africa, and now this!

Hopefully, the result will be the same as with Drake! xsmiley_wix

Bogus Megapardus
September 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
This has been the year of the "big announcement before your school plays Lehigh".

Next week's headline - "Ivy approves post-season play for 2011; formally ratifies existing de facto loan-to-grant process." Could suck the wind right out of your sails.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Next week's headline - "Ivy approves post-season play for 2011; formally ratifies existing de facto loan-to-grant process." Could suck the wind right out of your sails.

You must spread more reputation around... xlolx.... Can I quote you?

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Let's try to avoid these headlines next year:

"Patriot League Approves 60 Scholarships, Georgetown Gives Notice"
"Fordham Accepts CAA Offer After Villanova Departure, PL Reduced To Five Schools"
"With Loss of Autobid, PL Commissioner "Confident" in Attracting Replacement by End Of Decade"

Go...gate
September 10th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Just as long as I don't see this headline: "Colgate to join NESCAC and re-classify to Division III; Ivy League to add Lehigh, Georgetown"

carney2
September 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Another headline we don't want to see: "Patriot League Rejects Football Scholarships."

Pard94
September 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Franks Tanks;1549792]

I've been quite busy this week and thus unable to post. I think both FT and Bogus have done a very admirable job deflating the Lehigh 92'ers in my absence. Had I been able to post as usual I would have pointed out that I think Lehigh loses to Nova by three scores. It will never really be close but that won't deter the Lehigh faithful from parsing out the 7 or 8 minutes from the game that weren't terrible and using that as evidence as to why Lehigh is not only the greatest team in all of FCS but actually, in a way, kind of won the game despite the lopsided score.

carney2
September 10th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I've been quite busy this week and thus unable to post. I think both FT and Bogus have done a very admirable job deflating the Lehigh 92'ers in my absence. Had I been able to post as usual I would have pointed out that I think Lehigh loses to Nova by three scores. It will never really be close but that won't deter the Lehigh faithful from parsing out the 7 or 8 minutes from the game that weren't terrible and using that as evidence as to why Lehigh is not only the greatest team in all of FCS but actually, in a way, kind of won the game despite the lopsided score.

He's baaaaaaaack.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/09/friday-water-cooler-year-of-big.html

I talk at length about the big Villanova announcement here, but I'm posting this here because this thread was a huge inspiration for the "potential headlines before Lehigh games this year" and I included Bogus' and Go...Gate's.

My PL picks will come soon.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM
My PL Picks are out - and I think some folks (ahem, COLGATE) might be surprised:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/09/patriot-league-football-predictions_10.html

Go...gate
September 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Appreciate the Colgate pick - but Marist over Bucknell? Was Sacred Heart really that good that a close loss to them gives the Red Foxes the edge this week?

ColgateTD
September 10th, 2010, 05:13 PM
LFN, I appreciate your confidence in the Red Raiders. I wish I had such great expectations....

DerHoya
September 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
All Sportsbook lines are up now:

Furman (-10) vs. Colgate

UMass (-11) vs. Holy Cross

Lafayette (-20) vs. Georgetown

Rhode Island (pk) at Fordham

Bucknell (-1) at Marist

Nova
Furman (if at gate, I'd pick them)
UMass
Gtown, hell why not
URI
Bucknell

umassfan
September 10th, 2010, 07:38 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/09/friday-water-cooler-year-of-big.html

I talk at length about the big Villanova announcement here, but I'm posting this here because this thread was a huge inspiration for the "potential headlines before Lehigh games this year" and I included Bogus' and Go...Gate's.

My PL picks will come soon.
If your going to make stupid picks, at least get your info correct. xscanx Holy Cross's QB is a SR not JR and Hernandez is a JR not a SR. Can't wait to see this "high powered" Holy Cross offense.

Sader87
September 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Villanova 38 Lehigh 17 Too much speed and an angry Cats squad post-Temple doom Lehigh.

Furman 31 Colgate 24 Good game but Palladins prevail late.

HC 28 UMass 24 Saders finally break through against the Redmen.

Lafayette 34 GTown 17 Hoyas hang for a bit...

URI 35 Fordham 31 CAA bottom-dweller Rams over PL bottom-dweller Rams.

Bucknell 21 Marist 14 A coach named Susan gets his 1st PL win.

What's a bit sad is that if this was 1989 or 1990, Lehigh, Colgate and HC would be expected to win their games against their respective CAA/SoCon foes not just hopefully "hang around with them"....we have fallen so far in 20 years gents.

carney2
September 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
My PL Picks are out - and I think some folks (ahem, COLGATE) might be surprised:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/09/patriot-league-football-predictions_10.html

Hey, LFN, are we on the same planet? A "quarterback controversy" at Lafayette? Tavani seems pretty settled on O'Neil. He will need to fail big time to be part of any "controversy." Frank just doesn't have "quarterback controversies." The last one wasn't really a controversy at all. It was merely the head coach shooting himself - and the program - in the foot when he benched Curley in favor of Quilling to gift wrap one for you DungChicks. I love Coach T to death, but he is off my Christmas card list forever for that one.

crusader11
September 10th, 2010, 08:04 PM
If your going to make stupid picks, at least get your info correct. xscanx Holy Cross's QB is a SR not JR and Hernandez is a JR not a SR. Can't wait to see this "high powered" Holy Cross offense.

If you can make it out from fabulous Las Vegas it will be quite a show.

umassfan
September 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Oh don't worry. I will be at the game. I'm back for my yearly umass football vaca.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Lafayette 31 Georgetown 10
Bucknell 21 Marist 18
Umass 34 Holy Cross 24
Furman 45 Colgate 31
URI 45 Fordham 35
Villanova 30 Lehigh 17

JoltinJoe
September 11th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Villanova
Furman
Massachusetts
LAFAYETTE
BUCKNELL
FORDHAM

CrusaderBob
September 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM
4 -2 last week. Looking to improve.

Villanova

Furman

Holy Cross - Half the Minutemen looking back on a big win. Half looking forward to the Big House. Crusader spring a trap. xcoolx

Lafayette

Bucknell

Rhode Island

LUHawker
September 11th, 2010, 07:21 AM
Hey, LFN, are we on the same planet? A "quarterback controversy" at Lafayette? Tavani seems pretty settled on O'Neil. He will need to fail big time to be part of any "controversy." Frank just doesn't have "quarterback controversies." The last one wasn't really a controversy at all. It was merely the head coach shooting himself - and the program - in the foot when he benched Curley in favor of Quilling to gift wrap one for you DungChicks. I love Coach T to death, but he is off my Christmas card list forever for that one.

Before claiming how Curley's benching "gift-wrapped" one for Lehigh, don't forget that it was your beloved Curley that threw interceptions to end Lafayette's chances in the last two meetings. Great legacy.

Franks Tanks
September 11th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Before claiming how Curley's benching "gift-wrapped" one for Lehigh, don't forget that it was your beloved Curley that threw interceptions to end Lafayette's chances in the last two meetings. Great legacy.

At least he led his team to a winning record.

Bogus Megapardus
September 11th, 2010, 09:50 AM
And while you're picking up tailgate supplies for this weekend's double-header, look for the life-sized cut out Frank Tavani Coca Cola display, in the beverage aisle at a grocery store near you in the Lafayette Valley.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5531/frankncoke.jpg

Beat that, Andy Coen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2010, 05:12 PM
A little dose of reality for Lehigh, Colgate and Holy Cross fans.

Holy Cross- outside of beating Northeastern last year, you have not beaten an AQ team since 1991. Seriously...

Colgate- your play against the big boys has been pitiful except for your run in '03. Outside of your win against UMass in '05 you haven't been competitive in marquee OOC games.

Lehigh - You've been dreadful in OOC play and shown very little ability to overachieve. Don't expect that to change against the #1/#2 team in the country.

Well so far i'm 2 for 2. Can't see HC bucking the trend.

Sader87
September 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Well at least we sort of "won" the attendence battle tonight....16,500 at McGuirk for HC/UMass, 8,900 at Goodman...a pyhrric victory at best.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Well at least we sort of "won" the attendence battle tonight....16,500 at McGuirk for HC/UMass, 8,900 at Goodman...a pyhrric victory at best.

I saw that. I want to know how they came up with the attendance figure. If there was 8,900 people they eliminated about 3k seats imo. We needs pics to prove this point! LFN!?!? There was at least 10k people there. The home side was full and there was a solid crowd on the hill and away side.

Sader87
September 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I saw that. I want to know how they came up with the attendance figure. If there was 8,900 people they eliminated about 3k seats imo. We needs pics to prove this point! LFN!?!? There was at least 10k people there. The home side was full and there was strong showing on the hill and away side.

It was pretty well attended (from what I saw on channelsurfing) during the first half half anyway...visitors side (not all HC fans granted) was pretty full...I dont think 16,500 was "padded"...beautiful night, only home game for UMass until 10/16 etc. That number was legit imo.

umassfan
September 11th, 2010, 10:39 PM
It was pretty well attended (from what I saw on channelsurfing) during the first half half anyway...visitors side (not all HC fans granted) was pretty full...I dont think 16,500 was "padded"...beautiful night, only home game for UMass until 10/16 etc. That number was legit imo.

I was at the game. The HC side was packed but was pretty well filled with UMass students that left at half time when UMass was up 31-0. They had to go back to their dorms to get their drink on.

Sader87
September 11th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I was at the game. The HC side was packed but was pretty well filled with UMass students that left at half time when UMass was up 31-0. They had to go back to their dorms to get their drink on.

Yeah, well I sat on the visitors side of McGuirk when we drilled you in 1987 54-10 when you you were wearing short pants smart guy.