PDA

View Full Version : FCS on Sunday: MEAC/SWAC Challenge & Labor Day Classic

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Just a reminder that the MEAC/SWAC Challenge and the Labor Day Classic are occurring today...

MEAC/SWAC Challenge
Delaware State vs Southern
11 a.m. CT - ESPN, ESPN3

Labor Day Classic
Texas Southern vs Prairie View A&M
4 p.m. CT

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Thought this was a great stat nugget - first time that TSU and PVAMU both enter the LDC with a winning record...

For once, the Labor Day Classic can be deemed worthy of its billing on the football side.

In previous showdowns between Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M, the only thing classic about the matchups was the halftime show put on by their marching bands because either one or both programs had losing campaigns the year before.

But that changes today as the Tigers and Panthers both come off winning seasons for the first time in LDC history.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7187434.html

And here's the web site for info on the MEAC-SWAC Challenge...

http://www.meacswacchallenge.com/

atlfcsfan
September 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM
just came on now......Southern band is jamming the "Neck" song big time.....can hear it in the background while listening to the announcers. Kudos to ESPN for showing HBCU teams

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Early goings...

0-0, 12:50 1Q

Said a fan on TSPN, "IF they report over 20,000 folks there, it will be a historic lie. " Another fan suggested they were showing the Delaware State side a bit much, perhaps more on the SU side?

3rd Coast Tiger
September 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Early goings...

0-0, 12:50 1Q

Said a fan on TSPN, "IF they report over 20,000 folks there, it will be a historic lie. " Another fan suggested they were showing the Delaware State side a bit much, perhaps more on the SU side?

And just four minutes later, that same TSPN poster (FAMU CLIFF) came back and said

Saw a better pic of SU side. SU has about 15,000 - 20,000 there.

superman7515
September 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Touchdown Southern, kickoff and Delaware State returns it 79 yards for a touchdown, botched snap on the PAT and returned 90 yards for two points Southern...

Del State 19
Southern 16

3:04 in the 2nd quarter

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
And just four minutes later, that same TSPN poster (FAMU CLIFF) came back and said

ESPN needs to do a better job of placing fan bases! If DelSt was going to have less than Southern (which I'm sure all of us that follow FCS would suspect), than put the Southern folks on the camera sides!

Touchdown Southern, kickoff and Delaware State returns it 79 yards for a touchdown, botched snap on the PAT and returned 90 yards for two points Southern...

Wild special teams play!

3rd Coast Tiger
September 5th, 2010, 12:40 PM
TT, Southern is facing the camera.

superman7515
September 5th, 2010, 01:16 PM
DelState throws an interception, next play Southern fumbles and DelState recovers, drive for a touchdown and after two botched PAT attempts in this game they decide to go for two.

Del State 27
Southern 16

10:36 in the 3rd

superman7515
September 5th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Really poor production here from ESPN. Southern attempts a 34 yard field goal, which the play by play guy refers to as "going for the point after from 34 yards out". The kicker misses the field goal wide left and ESPN puts the points on the score anyway while talking about the miss.

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Southern scores 21 pts in the 4th quarter to top Del State 37-27... how is Del St projected to do? I know Southern has a new coach, so probably tough to really get a read on where they are projected in the SWAC, regardless of what the preseason poll says...and the SWAC West is going to be interesting with PVAMU there, improved squads at TSU and Grambling (well - injury/health bug issues right now), etc...

Texas Southern vs Prairie View to come...

atlfcsfan
September 5th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Southern scores 21 pts in the 4th quarter to top Del State 37-27... how is Del St projected to do? I know Southern has a new coach, so probably tough to really get a read on where they are projected in the SWAC, regardless of what the preseason poll says...and the SWAC West is going to be interesting with PVAMU there, improved squads at TSU and Grambling (well - injury/health bug issues right now), etc...

Texas Southern vs Prairie View to come...

I guess you can never stop watching games....I figured Delaware St would pull that out. good game though.

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Picture from TSPN of the DelSt side of the field...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs308.ash2/58835_1440584013681_1205460085_31003265_3630482_n. jpg

Listed attendance... 16367.

superman7515
September 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Delaware State doesn't travel well to their own stadium, I can't imagine they'd have a good showing anywhere else. The state high school championships are played at Delaware State, and the high schools get a better attendance.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Picture from TSPN of the DelSt side of the field...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs308.ash2/58835_1440584013681_1205460085_31003265_3630482_n. jpg

Listed attendance... 16367.And there isnt a pic of SU's side which was packed. If anything I think it was more than 16,000. I was there, but if you watched it you could see SU's side was full. Would SHSU bring over 16,000 folks 12 hours away to a game like SU did.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM
And there isnt a pic of SU's side which was packed. If anything I think it was more than 16,000. I was there, but if you watched it you could see SU's side was full. Would SHSU bring over 16,000 folks 12 hours away to a game like SU did.

I'm really confused on how the attendance for these games work... do the promoters put less on the attendance than there truly is in an effort to get some sort of increase in the amount of money? Are there are a lot of comp tickets given out to the community for a game like this, in an effort to get more butts in the seats?

Also - is the MEAC/SWAC Challenge moving next year? Saw some talk about it being better to be in LA...

And no, SHSU and many FCS programs could not bring more than 16k people a long distance. Of course, how many alums does Southern have in Florida and the surrounding areas? One great and unique thing about the HBCUs is that they attract a diverse student body from many points of the country. Where's the biggest Southern base of alum? I'd presume that for most of the SLC, that cities like Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and perhaps New Orleans are the top ones. Can't imagine deep bases outside of the major cities in TX and LA.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm really confused on how the attendance for these games work... do the promoters put less on the attendance than there truly is in an effort to get some sort of increase in the amount of money? Are there are a lot of comp tickets given out to the community for a game like this, in an effort to get more butts in the seats?

Also - is the MEAC/SWAC Challenge moving next year? Saw some talk about it being better to be in LA...

And no, SHSU and many FCS programs could not bring more than 16k people a long distance. Of course, how many alums does Southern have in Florida and the surrounding areas? One great and unique thing about the HBCUs is that they attract a diverse student body from many points of the country. Where's the biggest Southern base of alum? I'd presume that for most of the SLC, that cities like Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and perhaps New Orleans are the top ones. Can't imagine deep bases outside of the major cities in TX and LA.

Not really a good view of SU's side, but its the best I could do.