PDA

View Full Version : GSU v CCSU

Bulldog1
January 23rd, 2006, 08:01 AM
I think the rumors are finally being confirmed by parties on both campuses that GSU WILL play Central Conn. State instead of Northeastern. What BLOWS my mind is that GSU is having to pay $70,000 for the game!

Another great scheduling accomplishment by the GSU Athletic Director! xidiotx

blukeys
January 23rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Looks as if CCSU is really stepping up. They beat Colgate last year. Certain NEC programs are making some big changes.

Umass74
January 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
CCSU was league champion last year. They should give GSU a far better game than Johnson C. Smith or whatever was the name of that school GSU plays regularly...

Blukeys is correct. CCSU beat I-AA playoff team Colgate last year.

That said, GSU should get the win that your AD paid $70K for.

EagleCrusade
January 23rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
I think the rumors are finally being confirmed by parties on both campuses that GSU WILL play Central Conn. State instead of Northeastern. What BLOWS my mind is that GSU is having to pay $70,000 for the game!

Another great scheduling accomplishment by the GSU Athletic Director! xidiotx

The best part about that deal is Ga Southern isn't paying CCSU a dime. That money comes directly from the coffers of Northeastern University. NE will come to Statesboro in 2007, again with GS having to pay nothing based on the home and home.

Another great spin produced from BS1.

ButlerGSU
January 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM
That's true, GSU will not pay for the game after Northeastern backed out. They will pay for the game and come to Statesboro next season for nothing. We'll probably make money in this deal and get the win.

EagleCrusade
January 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM
That's true, GSU will not pay for the game after Northeastern backed out. They will pay for the game and come to Statesboro next season for nothing. We'll probably make money in this deal and get the win.

That's a sweet deal if you ask me. Plus you get two guaranteed home games for NOTHING and should win both!

Bulldog1
January 23rd, 2006, 11:12 AM
Double check your info! GSU IS PAYING CCSU to play the game.

You guys were wrong earlier and are again - this will play out and you will see where the money comes from. xazzx

ButlerGSU
January 23rd, 2006, 11:48 AM

You guys were wrong earlier and are again - this will play out and you will see where the money comes from. xazzx

The check CCSU gets may say GSU on it, but Northeastern will have to pay for backing out on their contract. You cannot simply reschedule games you have committed to. Thank you for the less than insightful information Dawg.

mainejeff
January 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Looks as if CCSU is really stepping up. They beat Colgate last year. Certain NEC programs are making some big changes.

Central Connecticut is on the radar for America East Football as well.

UNH 40
January 23rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
CCSU will lose by 50 at the very least.

colgate13
January 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
CCSU will lose by 50 at the very least.

That's what we thought.

Say what you will about Colgate this year, but CCSU was better than a 'nonscholarship' team last year. The ONLY issue may be with the changes in coaching staffs there.

The NEC is stepping up and making their move. There will be some true 'scholarship' players on the field this fall.

In a bigger sense, we should all be patting BOTH CCSU and GSU on the backs for this matchup. We're always saying that so called mid-majors should step their competition. Well, some NEC teams are doing just that.

We're also hearing from mid-majors that they have trouble getting some games like this. Well, GSU saw the value in scheduling them as opposed to a regional D-II.

I think this is a win-win all around and should be a great trip for a bunch of kids that come from a school with 1/10 the football support that GSU enjoys. And who knows, they might just make a game of it.

:twocents:

Go...gate
January 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM
That's what we thought before they played us, too. Don't take 'em lightly.

EagleCrusade
January 23rd, 2006, 04:12 PM

Yeah, we're not paying them. Northeastern is. They set the game up. So again bulldouche1 you're wrong.

OL FU
January 23rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
:boring:

So when are you guys playing Marist? :D

eaglesrthe1
January 23rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
The best part about that deal is Ga Southern isn't paying CCSU a dime. That money comes directly from the coffers of Northeastern University. NE will come to Statesboro in 2007, again with GS having to pay nothing based on the home and home.

Another great spin produced from BS1.

I can see NU paying for backing out...but why would they then come to GSU the next year for nothing? Seems to me that they would have fulfilled the contract by paying the $$$.

Husky Alum
January 23rd, 2006, 07:40 PM
I can see NU paying for backing out...but why would they then come to GSU the next year for nothing? Seems to me that they would have fulfilled the contract by paying the $$$.

I agree, either they buy out the obligation to come back, or they come in 2007 - I don't see both happening. That's double dipping.

Personally if we're paying the cash, I'm going to be pissed. I've sent a few spies to see if the story as reported here is true.

blukeys
January 23rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
That's what we thought.

Say what you will about Colgate this year, but CCSU was better than a 'nonscholarship' team last year. The ONLY issue may be with the changes in coaching staffs there.

The NEC is stepping up and making their move. There will be some true 'scholarship' players on the field this fall.

In a bigger sense, we should all be patting BOTH CCSU and GSU on the backs for this matchup. We're always saying that so called mid-majors should step their competition. Well, some NEC teams are doing just that.

We're also hearing from mid-majors that they have trouble getting some games like this. Well, GSU saw the value in scheduling them as opposed to a regional D-II.

I think this is a win-win all around and should be a great trip for a bunch of kids that come from a school with 1/10 the football support that GSU enjoys. And who knows, they might just make a game of it.

Could not agree more!!!! The Big 4 of the NEC, Albany, Monmouth, CCSU, and Stony Brook are obviously stepping up and doing what everyone says they need to do to be taken seriously. They have been trashed in the past for weak schedules and that was fair enough.

BUT, Right Now They also need to be praised for scheduling the best In I-AA so that they can gauge where they need to be in the future.

There is a huge benefit for all of I-AA to have 7 truly competitive I-AA teams that are within 90 miles of New York City. Yes if Stony Brook hosts Montana in a playoff game, more people read about it then the entire state of Montana 8 times over.

Conference affiliations and their ability to promote are keys. Will the PL or CAA take advantage of a natural advantage in the NY market and realize that growth in all markets help the whole? Both Confernces have advantages and a really smart person would realize that opponents can market cooperatively. Thank God we are rid of Linda Bruno and the A-10 who would never figure this out.

nlwwln
January 23rd, 2006, 09:15 PM
ccsu is definatly making strides in their football program but still far off from the competition that a georgia southern team will bring. my guess is it would be something like 24-7

SoCon48
January 23rd, 2006, 10:15 PM

Start of a new home and home????

Husky Alum
January 24th, 2006, 10:40 AM
NU will be going to Statesboro in the future (not sure if it's '07 or thereafter), and they're not paying $70K to anyone for the deferral.

CCSU may be getting $70K, but it's not coming from NU's coffers.

EagleCrusade
January 24th, 2006, 10:43 AM
NU will be going to Statesboro in the future (not sure if it's '07 or thereafter), and they're not paying $70K to anyone for the deferral.

CCSU may be getting $70K, but it's not coming from NU's coffers.

It must be from the tax refund checks. We ain't paying them a dime.

colgate13
January 24th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Will the PL or CAA take advantage of a natural advantage in the NY market and realize that growth in all markets help the whole? Both Confernces have advantages and a really smart person would realize that opponents can market cooperatively.

We're doing our part. CCSU last year, Monmouth in 2006 and Albany in 2007. All this after not playing an NEC team before 2005.

I like it. If the NEC is going to be serious about football, we should be serious about them. Plus, they are willing to travel to Hamilton without a return... :D

Husky Alum
January 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM
It must be from the tax refund checks. We ain't paying them a dime.

And we're not paying them $70K.

What college would get a tax refund?

Bulldog1
January 24th, 2006, 12:07 PM
That was EagleCrusade's feeble excuse for humor.

There is a $70K guarantee being paid to CCSU by GSU. From what I was told, there was no penalty for NU to change the date of the return game, so GSU is footing the bill for CCSU to come down.

ButlerGSU
January 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM
That was EagleCrusade's feeble excuse for humor.

There is a $70K guarantee being paid to CCSU by GSU. From what I was told, there was no penalty for NU to change the date of the return game, so GSU is footing the bill for CCSU to come down.

Who would have thought Sam Baker's user name would be 'bulldog1'? For someone to know EVERYTHING about GSU's athletic department he would have to be Sam. Thanks for the insider info Bulldog, what on earth would we ever do without you? Can you go ahead and post our 2006 schedule online?

UNH 40
January 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
That's what we thought.

UNH beat CCSU 70-21 two years ago and that was with the starters out of the game by the middle of the second quarter. GSU is in the same category as UNH, but faster. CCSU would not be able to stay with them because of there speed and athleticism. I realize that they have made some improvement since then but not that much. If GSU wanted to they would put up 70-80 points. Believe me i have played against both teams and GSU would be better off playing an elite division II team, it would be a better game.

downbythebeach
January 24th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah ccsu used to be pretty bad.....they had something like 15 straight years without a winning season, until 2004. the team that lost to UNH a few years ago came in second to last place in the NEC.

UNH 40
January 24th, 2006, 01:24 PM
More proof that CCSU will get killed in Statesboro is that CCSU lost to Rhode Island, yes Rhode Island 56-10. To put that into perspective UNH beat Rhode Island 53-9 in a game where Santos, Ball, and company were out of the game before halftime. CCSU beat Colgate because Colgate was a bad team. They will get pounded when they face GSU.

Baldy
January 24th, 2006, 04:32 PM
So? It's no different than if we paid a DII or any other OOC team to come to Statesboro. :confused:

blukeys
January 24th, 2006, 07:02 PM
UNH beat CCSU 70-21 two years ago and that was with the starters out of the game by the middle of the second quarter. GSU is in the same category as UNH, but faster. CCSU would not be able to stay with them because of there speed and athleticism. I realize that they have made some improvement since then but not that much. If GSU wanted to they would put up 70-80 points. Believe me i have played against both teams and GSU would be better off playing an elite division II team, it would be a better game.

I would agree but CCSU, Albany and Monmouth have increased their scollies every year for the last 2 years.

It would be a stretch for CCSU to beat GSU but that is why we play the games.

What I see is that certain NEC teams are really stepping up and seeing what they need to do to compete at the I-AA level. Scheduling GSU is part of this process.

I see Albany, CCSU, Stony Brook, and Monmouth as true Mid Atlantic I-AA players by 2010. They are schools in the right place with the right credentials to make some noise. One underestimates these programs at their own peril. :cool: