PDA

View Full Version : Southland Conference - Week Two Predictions

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Welcome to our annual Southland Conference prediction thread. I will not be keeping track of everyone's results week to week, so you are more than welcome to do your part in helping out! For purposes of Lamar's entrance into the league in 2011, we'll also be including them in our predictions!

Week Two Game Listing
Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois
Samford @ Northwestern State
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State-San Marcos
Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana
McNeese State @ Missouri
Nicholls @ Western Michigan
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin
Webber International @ Lamar

Week Two TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis

Albany @ Stephen F. Austin - The Lumberjacks are facing an opponent who kept the scoring low last week. The scoring won't be as low this coming week. STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois - UCA beat a Div II. EIU fell to an FBS. Got to believe the Panthers, who are a contender for the OVC title will be pumped up to be home. EASTERN ILLINOIS

Samford @ Northwestern State - Samford has improved the last few years and become a good SoCon program. Are they ready to compete for the SoCon title? Not yet, but they should be able to fare well in Natchitoches. SAMFORD

Southern Arkansas @ Texas State-San Marcos - Ardnt could be the real deal and if TXST plays to their capability, could put a Keenum-like effort on an opposing team instead of having it on them. TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS

Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana - Southeastern Louisiana looked good against Tulane, Tenn-Martin got run out of the place 50-0 by Tennessee. Beatty's health switches the result TENNESSEE-MARTIN

McNeese State @ Missouri - See the Missouri fan that posted on the boards? He was worried. No worries for Tigers. MISSOURI

Nicholls @ Western Michigan - Another $300-350k in the bank for the Colonels. Another loss. WESTERN MICHIGAN

Webber International @ Lamar - Lamar was very admirable in their Super Bowl loss to the Pokes. This is another big game, the home opener. Should be a pretty packed place and they'll all go home happy. LAMAR

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 7-1 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 135-59 (49-34 SLC)

McNeese75
September 5th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois I will go with the ranked team
Samford @ Northwestern State Hopefully the Demons are ready to break the streak
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State-San Marcos School for the Blind game
Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana Lions should be tough at home this year.
McNeese State @ Missouri Going with the FBS but hoping for a good showing (I will be there :) )
Nicholls @ Western Michigan Colonels are still trying to get their legs under them
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin Defense designed to stop the NEC running games will probably have have problems with the Jack offense.
Webber International @ Lamar Another School for the Blind game. First home game for Lamar so they will be flying high for this one.

2010 Record
8-0

NSUDemon98
September 5th, 2010, 04:15 PM
What is your reaction to NSU's ability to move the ball on a team that was Top 5 in defense last year and Samford's inability to move the ball against a mediocre FSU defense? "Should fare well" comes across a little as hopeful optimism and that Samford will have a pretty easy time....

This game could go either way, IMO.

El Gato
September 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Didn't participate last week, but I give you my word that my personal picks, while not jotted down on a message board, would have given me a 8-0 record (although, McNeese/Lamar & SLU/Tulane almost ruined that)

Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois Alot of people had UCA ranked highly in the SLC pre season polls. Nathan Dick put up impressive numbers against ECSU. But the Div II team did manage to keep up with the Bears for the most part. This will be a good indication of what we may expect from UCA, but I will to have to go with the ranked team. Eastern Illinois by 17.

Samford @ Northwestern State. You know, being that the Demons began their game at 1PM yesterday, I was actually following the game for a while. I was actually quite surprised that the Demons were holding their own going into the half down 24-21. Although Air Force did rack up 615 yards of offense against the Demons. Samford didn't fare to well against their FBS opponent, however Florida St. is a top 25 team. Samford also has a RB on the Peyton watch list and a linebacker on the Buchanan award watch list as well. I am actually inclined to give this to the Demons as I think they may actually be a darkhorse candidate in the SLC this year. But, going to go with the SoCon on this one and say Samford by 10.

Southern Arkansas @ Texas State. I know nothing about the Gulf South Conference except they have four teams in the Div II Top 25, and Southern Arkansas, having finished 3-7 last year, is not one of them. SAU managed only 164 total yards of offense in yesterdays 20-0 loss to Harding, a team picked to finish 10th in the GSC right behind SAU who was picked 9th. This could be a great game for Arndt to really get comfortable and confident with the offense. Texas State by 35.

Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana. SLU's hope opener, possibly sans Beatty (according to TT, what happened?). UT-M may put up a fight, but it is ultimately SLU by 17.

McNeese State @ Missouri . McNeese struggled against a upstart Lamar program...but McNeese struggled against a Div II last year as well going on to beat Appalachian State. Still, Mizzou is from a BCS conference but despite the Big XII realignment drama, McNeese won't escape the fate of most FCS schools when facing an FBS. Missouri by 27.

Nicholls @ Western Michigan. I still think the Colonels mascot looks like M. Bison. NSU is still adjusting to their new coach and playing in Michigan isn't going to help. WMU by 35.

Albany @ Stephen F. Austin. If this game were in Albany I may be inclined to go with the Great Danes, but there website is pissing me off and despite their loss to A&M last week, Moses is the real deal. SFA by 21.

Webber International @ Lamar. I don't know who Webber International is except they are an NAIA team, and they are 2-0 thus far this season against other NAIA opponents. Lamar being an upstart I might be inclined to with WIU. However, that great showing they put on against McNeese and all those FBS transfers will make for Webber's first loss of the season. Lamar by 30.

FormerPokeCenter
September 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM
McNeese State @ Missouri . McNeese struggled against a upstart Lamar program...but McNeese struggled against a Div II last year as well going on to beat Appalachian State. Still, Mizzou is from a BCS conference but despite the Big XII realignment drama, McNeese won't escape the fate of most FCS schools when facing an FBS. Missouri by 27

I think that's being pretty kind. If we can't route a first-game start-up, we've got no business playing a Big XII team. They'll probably be ahead 27 points at the half...

msupokes1
September 5th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois 27-21
Samford @ Northwestern State 35-24
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State-San Marcos 42-21
Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana 35-17
McNeese State @ Missouri McNeese has a history of playing BCS schools closely. Mizzou 35-21
Nicholls @ Western Michigan 42-7
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin I know nothing about Albany so I will say 38-21.
Webber International @ Lamar I liked what I saw from Lamar. 52-10.

2010 Record
8-0

blackfordpu
September 5th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Week 1: 8-0

Eastern Illinois
Northwestern St.
Tx St
Tenn-Martin
Missouri
Western Mi
SFA
Lamar

TexasTerror
September 5th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana. SLU's hope opener, possibly sans Beatty (according to TT, what happened?). UT-M may put up a fight, but it is ultimately SLU by 17.

Beatty went down at the conclusion of the SLU-Tulane game...

Being reported on the Lions' Den..."Got word that Beatty has sprained MCL and will likely be out 1-3 weeks." I've not confirmed it yet, but I'm sure we'll know something early in the week...

msusig
September 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State-San Marcos
McNeese State @ Missouri
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin

8-0

lionsrking2
September 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Beatty went down at the conclusion of the SLU-Tulane game...

Being reported on the Lions' Den..."Got word that Beatty has sprained MCL and will likely be out 1-3 weeks." I've not confirmed it yet, but I'm sure we'll know something early in the week...

It's confirmed.

SU DOG
September 6th, 2010, 12:45 AM
What is your reaction to NSU's ability to move the ball on a team that was Top 5 in defense last year and Samford's inability to move the ball against a mediocre FSU defense? "Should fare well" comes across a little as hopeful optimism and that Samford will have a pretty easy time....

This game could go either way, IMO.
If we win it may very well be a struggle. Both Samford and NSU got about 300 yds of offense in their blowout losses. One thing I can say for sure though is that as FAST as the FSU defense is THIS year, the term "mediocre" doesn't seem to fit that bunch. They can FLY.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 07:24 AM
It's confirmed.

Switching my selection from SLU to Tennessee-Martin. Just not sure the Lions are ready to go without Beatty.

McNeese72
September 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I think that's being pretty kind. If we can't route a first-game start-up, we've got no business playing a Big XII team. They'll probably be ahead 27 points at the half...

If we have to score a last minute TD to beat a Div II team, we have no business going up and playing App S.......oh, wait.......wrong year. :)

Seriously, I don't think we could pull it off this season. It will get ugly at Missouri.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
September 6th, 2010, 08:20 AM
If we have to score a last minute TD to beat a Div II team, we have no business going up and playing App S.......oh, wait.......wrong year. :)

Seriously, I don't think we could pull it off this season. It will get ugly at Missouri.

Doc

Ordinarily, Doc, I'd consider my sandbagging skills second only to your own, but...I dunno....I kinda felt like we had a chance last year headed into the App State game. In fact on one thread before the game I said that I liked our chances if we got into a track meet with the Mountaineers and that's pretty much what happened....

This year, I just don't know...I fear that Missouri's going to be able to pound the ball down our throats and that our light in the *** defense won't have an answer for that. Now, if we can somehow manage to stop their running game, then we may have a shot...but that just means that they'll take to the air and I'm not sure that's really any more advantageous for us...

If we got lit up by Lamar's first year program, what's a team like Missouri going to be able to do? Their quarterback is supposed to be very mobile and...well....we saw what happened to us when a mobile QB breaks containment and has time to pick us apart..

On offense, if Champ Babin's not back, then we're going to be limited. If Lamar could induce Wiltz to fumble three times, then what in the hell is Missouri going to be able to do to him? And Mizzou takes out their DTs on passing downs and uses four speed rush defensive ends. Jacob's not exactly as mobile as Derrick Fourroux was, so I'm not sure how much passing we're going to be able to do...

I mean, I guess we should go on up there and see how it turns out, but I'm not too optimistic...unless, of course, we can turn it into a trackmeet game ;)

JoshUCA
September 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois - I hate to pick against my Bears (because in my mind they will always have a perfect season and win the National Championship), but with this being such a young (albeit talented) team and taking their first road trip against a very very good EIU team, I just find it hard to see them beating EIU (although I would love to be wrong).
Samford @ Northwestern State - Samford is good
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State-San Marcos - TX St shouldn't have any problems
Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana - With their QB being out, SELA may struggle and UT-Martin should take advantage
McNeese State @ Missouri - NEC
Nicholls @ Western Michigan - NEC
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin - I don't know anything about Albany, so I'll take SFA at home
Webber International @ Lamar - After their showing against McNeese, Lamar has proven they can play and shouldn't have any problem against this lower level team.

MSU_77
September 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Ordinarily, Doc, I'd consider my sandbagging skills second only to your own, but...I dunno....I kinda felt like we had a chance last year headed into the App State game. In fact on one thread before the game I said that I liked our chances if we got into a track meet with the Mountaineers and that's pretty much what happened....

This year, I just don't know...I fear that Missouri's going to be able to pound the ball down our throats and that our light in the *** defense won't have an answer for that. Now, if we can somehow manage to stop their running game, then we may have a shot...but that just means that they'll take to the air and I'm not sure that's really any more advantageous for us...

If we got lit up by Lamar's first year program, what's a team like Missouri going to be able to do? Their quarterback is supposed to be very mobile and...well....we saw what happened to us when a mobile QB breaks containment and has time to pick us apart..

On offense, if Champ Babin's not back, then we're going to be limited. If Lamar could induce Wiltz to fumble three times, then what in the hell is Missouri going to be able to do to him? And Mizzou takes out their DTs on passing downs and uses four speed rush defensive ends. Jacob's not exactly as mobile as Derrick Fourroux was, so I'm not sure how much passing we're going to be able to do...

I mean, I guess we should go on up there and see how it turns out, but I'm not too optimistic...unless, of course, we can turn it into a trackmeet game ;)

I don't remember a lot of optimism among the group sitting around the table at Pepper's in Boone last year on the eve of the App State game. What I remember is that the game planning by Matt Viator against the Mounatineer defense surprised everyone. It wasn't what we expected - nor App State.

I know that Mizzou's stud tailback has been kicked off the team after being charged with sexual assault. Last week against Illinois, they only had like 89 yards rushing. They trailed, I think, at halftime, but mounted a comeback in the 2nd half, with 34 of 48 passing. Our secondary had better bring their A game. I have faith in Matt to come up with an effective offensive game plan. I don't expect it to be enough, but I hope we make it interesting.

SLULion
September 7th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois - EI is a better team
Samford @ Northwestern State - Samford is a better team but it's possible that NS gets the win
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State-San Marcos - TXST should be strong at home
Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana - SLU will be fine plus TM can't prepare for the backups
McNeese State @ Missouri - Big 12...
Nicholls @ Western Michigan - NS not quite ready
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin - SFA big
Webber International @ Lamar - Lamar enjoys their home debut

GeauxLions94
September 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Central Arkansas (1-0) @ Eastern Illinois (0-1) - UCA got an easy win over a Non D-I while EIU fell at nationally-ranked Iowa in its opener ... home opener for the Panthers who are ranked No. 22 in the FCS Coaches Poll and No. 23 by the Sports Network ... EASTERN ILLINOIS

Samford (0-1) @ Northwestern State (0-1) - Both teams got smashed last week in the openers with Samford falling at Bobby Bowden-less Florida State while Northwestern State lost at Air Force ... Demons gave the Falcons a run for their money in the first half before AFA pulled away ... this is a very good interdivisional matchup and I give the Demons the slight advantage and BDP finally gets his first win - that's a promise .... NORTHWESTERN STATE

Southern Arkansas (0-1) @ Texas State (0-1) - Texas State got drilled last week by Houston (that will happen to a lot of teams on UH's schedule this year) and got their quarterback of the future a bit earlier than expected ... Bobcats open their home slate and should have no problems against the 0-1 Muleriders ... TEXAS STATE

Tennessee-Martin (0-1) @ Southeastern Louisiana (0-1) - Yes, Tyler Beatty is out for this game but the Lions still have Tommy Connors and Mark Newbill on defense (one that gave up 252 yards to FBS Tulane last week) ... the running game will be OK with Zeke Jones and Sam Fairley and that will give B.J. Young ample time to find the triplets (Simmie Yarborough, Kory Theodore and Brandon Collins) ... UTM, picked sixth in the Ohio Valley Conference, only had three first downs in its opener against Tennessee ... I like the Lions (duh) in their home opener ... SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

McNeese State (1-0) @ Missouri (1-0) - McNeese won its opener against Lamar, but has to go on the road to face a tough FBS Missouri squad that defeated Illinois, 23-13 ... Pokes will hang tough with Tigers before MIZZOU pulls away in the second half ... MISSOURI

Nicholls (0-1) @ Western Michigan (0-1) - It's a long way from San Diego to Kalamazoo for Nicholls State, who looks to get on the scoreboard for the first time this season ... while the Colonels fell to San Diego State, 47-0, last week, WMU dropped a 38-14 decision at Michigan State ... Colonels might find the scoreboard, but it won't be enough to get the win ... WESTERN MICHIGAN

Albany (1-0) @ Stephen F. Austin (0-1) - The Danes have been looking for respect in the FCS rankings and opened with a 3-0 win at Maine last week ... Albany can gain a lot more respect with a win in Nacogdoches, but will have to knock off a nationally-ranked SFA squad that is coming off a 41-point loss at Texas A&M ... STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

Webber International (2-0) @ Lamar (0-1) - Andre Bevil threw for 426 yards in the Cards' debut at McNeese State last week ... he might have that in the first half against the NAIA Warriors (and no, they're not famous for the grills) ... LAMAR

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
FYI... Mike Lucas has a new QB this week. The regular starter could be back as soon as next week...

Realizing Beatty was likely out for Saturday’s home opener with Tennessee-Martin, Lucas said after the game, “We’ll get B.J. Young ready to play.”

By his Tuesday news conference, Lucas was talking about his starting quarterback, Brian Young. B.J. apparently stands for Brian Jr. and is an old family nickname that they would like to put aside.

“I think his parents like … Brian,” Lucas said of the Hahnville product.

Beatty could be back next week, when the Lions host Lamar.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/lenny-vangilder/470795-college-sports-notes-happy-sad-reasons-to-think-sugar-bowl.html

lionsrking2
September 10th, 2010, 11:56 AM
FYI... Mike Lucas has a new QB this week. The regular starter could be back as soon as next week...

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/sports-blogs/lenny-vangilder/470795-college-sports-notes-happy-sad-reasons-to-think-sugar-bowl.html

Actually, B.J. stands for "Brian Joseph" but he's a Jr. also...as for Beatty, if this were a conference game for all the marbles, or a playoff game, he could probably play...but getting Young and Webster's feet wet will help us down the road, regardless how this one turns out.

Retro
September 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State
McNeese State @ Missouri
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin Upset of the week

GeauxLions94
September 10th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Southern Arkansas @ Texas State
McNeese State @ Missouri
Albany @ Stephen F. Austin Upset of the week

If that happens, does that finally get Albany in the AGS Top 25???

UAalum72
September 10th, 2010, 11:21 PM

No, it will just prove that SFA was overrated - no disrespect to Albany and the NEC, of course.

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2010, 06:58 AM

Albany would be 2-0 with wins over Maine (CAA) and Stephen F Austin (SLC). It would be hard for them to not get votes. I'd put them in my 20-25 range easily if they can manage that. It'd most likely be wins against two different kinds of teams...

The NEC would be celebrating - because it'd be a monumental win for a league that is seeking momentum this year especially as they vie for a playoff spot.

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Week Two TT's Predictions & Quick Analysis

Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana - Southeastern Louisiana looked good against Tulane, Tenn-Martin got run out of the place 50-0 by Tennessee. Beatty's health switches the result TENNESSEE-MARTIN

I'm going to be the optimist and CHANGE my selection to SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA. This game is going to be closer than it should be ebcause of Beatty's injury - but just not feeling a Tennessee-Martin win.

Please note it is 9:11 a.m. and there's plenty of time to action. I'll lock my pick now.

TexasTerror
September 11th, 2010, 11:07 PM
After I changed my SLU-UTM pick well ahead of time, I got stung by EIU's loss to UCA...

TT's Predictions All-Time Results
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 41-22 (16-12 SLC)
2010 Record: 14-2 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 142-60 (49-34 SLC)

El Gato
September 11th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Central Arkansas @ Eastern Illinois Eastern Illinois by 17
UCA 34 EIU 7, UCA by 27....wow totally off on that one

Samford @ Northwestern State. Samford by 10
Samford 19 NWST 7, Samford by 12, was close!

Southern Arkansas @ Texas State. Texas State by 35
TxState 31 SAU 17, Txstate by 14...not what I expected

Tennesee-Martin @ Southeastern Louisiana. SLU by 17.
SLU 24 TMU 10, SLU by 14...off by two again!

McNeese State @ Missouri Missouri by 27
Mizzou 50 MSU 6, Mizzou by 44....yikes

Nicholls @ Western Michigan.WMU by 35
WMU 49 NSU 14, WMU by 35...RIGHT ON!!

Albany @ Stephen F. Austin.SFA by 21
SFA 59 Albany 14, SFA by 35...knew SFA would dominate, but not by that much.

Webber International @ Lamar. Lamar by 30.
Lamar 21, Webber Int. 14, Lamar by 7...Wow, didn't think it would be that close, especially for a home opener against an NAIA team.

El Gato
September 11th, 2010, 11:14 PM
So went 7-1, and 15-1 for the year thus far.

AxeEmJacks
September 13th, 2010, 12:36 PM
No, it will just prove that SFA was overrated - no disrespect to Albany and the NEC, of course.

Thoughts post-game?