PDA

View Full Version : Should NDSU be Ranked #1 in the FCS Polls next week?

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Couldn't resist! xhurrayx

Congrats Bison! xsmileyclapx

The Road to Frisco has begun! Two exciting wins over FBS teams, several surprises around the country, here we go... xnodx

Sly Fox
September 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM
There are several more shots left to knock off BCS league teams this evening.

It seems NDSU has managed some terrific games to start seasons recently before tailing off.

RabidRabbit
September 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I think this is comparible to UNI OT loss to Iowa last year.

I does influence me to put NDSU into the top 25 tho.

MSUBear42
September 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Top 25? Yes. #1? No.

While NDSU may very well be good this year, KU is a glorified FCS team this year.

Squealofthepig
September 4th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah, NDSU definitely in consideration for my top 25 as well (and most likely will be, as it's hard to guess the first couple of weeks).

Hopefully this is a harbinger of a very good, competitive year in FCS - most of us were looking at the usual suspects in the CAA for the FBS downage, not JSU and NDSU. Just major props to both programs for great, great road wins.

RDH701
September 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Earned a little more respect, no way #1, long ways yet to go. Go Bison!

JBB
September 4th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Well, certainly they deserve a #1 ranking but will they get it? I dont think so.

I just hope they win big games. Thats the measure of a great program. Put up all the stats you want. They show how good you are. Lose the big one and you are a failure. You have to be good and successful. The NDSU BISON were both tonight.

Hammerhead
September 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
KU isn't the highest quality FBS opponent. I loved the announcer saying this was the biggest win in NDSU history. The win at Minnesota 2 years ago was a bigger upset in my opinion. Like usual, the announcers also called my team "North Dakota" at least once. How hard it is to remember that the S in NDSU is for State?

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I think this is comparible to UNI OT loss to Iowa last year.

I does influence me to put NDSU into the top 25 tho.

I'm lost on this.

We didn't lose in OT, and how are close loss to a team that won a BCS bowl and beating Kansas 6-3 comparable?

PantherRob82
September 4th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Well, certainly they deserve a #1 ranking but will they get it? I dont think so.

Seriously? You guys didn't even have the best BCS win.

Way to rep the MVFC, but pull the reins back a bit. Don't want to put the cart before the horse.

We almost beat a team that went on to win a BCS bowl game and didn't even make the playoffs. :(

Squealofthepig
September 4th, 2010, 10:00 PM
KU isn't the highest quality FBS opponent. I loved the announcer saying this was the biggest win in NDSU history. The win at Minnesota 2 years ago was a bigger upset in my opinion. Like usual, the announcers also called my team "North Dakota" at least once. How hard it is to remember that the S in NDSU is for State?

What, you're not the Fighting Sioux? ;) jk.

Agree that the Minnesota win was bigger. KU is under a new coach and has really been reeling from a lot of internal problems, while Minnesota was on an even kiel and figured it was just another paid win. That being said, it's also a great harbinger for NDSU this year, as last season was a bit of a disappointment for Bison fans. Do hope this is a sign of good things to come!

jmc_jackrabbit
September 4th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Who cares who's #1 in week 2. This was a huge step towards the playoffs for the Bison, taking one of those FBS games everybody assumes will be a loss and making it the first win of the seven or eight they'll need to get in.

Rob Iola
September 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
If you think Ole Miss and KU could beat Temple, then at a minimum you have to rank JSU and NDSU over Nova, right?

gjw007
September 4th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Congrats to the Bison. It is always good to beat a higher division team

Squealofthepig
September 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
If you think Ole Miss and KU could beat Temple, then at a minimum you have to rank JSU and NDSU over Nova, right?

Operative word is "could" - again, qualitative could argue either way (and could vote JSU/NDSU either higher, or lower, than Nova), and the "body of work" voters would say that doesn't matter and rank JSU and NDSU over Nova any way.

I'm not trying to say either is right - just saying that different voters vote in different ways, and understanding how people vote helps explain some of the often weird voting behavior we see - an effort to help make sense of the noise, if you will.

As jm_jackrabbit points out, it's meaningless at this point. Bottom line is two great wins for NDSU and JSU this weekend. They'll both be ranked, somewhere, and the rest of their season will help determine if and where they wind up in the playoffs (though hard to bet against either team making the playoffs after today!)

GrizBowl
September 4th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Operative word is "could" - again, qualitative could argue either way (and could vote JSU/NDSU either higher, or lower, than Nova), and the "body of work" voters would say that doesn't matter and rank JSU and NDSU over Nova any way.

I'm not trying to say either is right - just saying that different voters vote in different ways, and understanding how people vote helps explain some of the often weird voting behavior we see - an effort to help make sense of the noise, if you will.

As jm_jackrabbit points out, it's meaningless at this point. Bottom line is two great wins for NDSU and JSU this weekend. They'll both be ranked, somewhere, and the rest of their season will help determine if and where they wind up in the playoffs (though hard to bet against either team making the playoffs after today!)

I'm impressed with your reasoning skills, are you a philosophy major?

none the less I think my SEC is better than Big 12 argument still stands...

OrygunBison
September 4th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Way to rep the MVFC, but pull the reins back a bit. Don't want to put the cart before the horse.

We almost beat a team that went on to win a BCS bowl game and didn't even make the playoffs. :(

Sorry, how does "almost beat" really amount to anything?

Back on topic...of course not. Not even ranked unless we win next week. I'd rather be a dark horse anyway.

RabidRabbit
September 4th, 2010, 11:31 PM

This was my point

Cocky
September 4th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Great win, any win over a BCS school is huge for a FCS school. Vote anyway you care it doesn't matter a great deal when you have a playoff.

Go Bison
September 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM
It was a good win for NDSU but they got UNI next week. Personally, I don't think NDSU should be in the top 25 unless they beat UNI next week.

JBB
September 4th, 2010, 11:39 PM

Im "body of work". NDSU has a very good football team emerging. They always do. They have a good program. Thats why Im "body of work".

gt_bison
September 4th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Like usual, the announcers also called my team "North Dakota" at least once. How hard it is to remember that the S in NDSU is for State?

I had to take folks on EDSBS and a GT board to task about that. GT board paying close attention since we're headed to Lawrence next week. I've already tweeted at the GT play-by-play guy to make sure he doesn't forget "State". Also requested he not say "Bisons" and that he pronounce Bison like a North Dakotan would.

JackPro
September 5th, 2010, 12:15 AM
#1? No. Top 25? No. Receiving votes? Sure. Next week should tell us a lot. Good win though.

Gil Dobie
September 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM

Who cares about this arguement? On with the current season.

Twentysix
September 5th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Definetly not, but top 20-25 maybe? I dont think we will be a great team this year, i hope i am wrong. We could beat everyone in the MVFC though but if thats gonna happen its gonna be defensivly driven, having SIU and SDSU at home is going to be huge.

Gotta love KU's espn station. Divison 2 North dakota state defeats Divison 1 KU.

morons..

Also, I am done with voting polls if we do not recieve more votes than UND after this week.xbangx

JMUNJ08
September 5th, 2010, 01:50 AM
Definetly not, but top 20-25 maybe? I dont think we will be a great team this year, i hope i am wrong. We could beat everyone in the MVFC though but if thats gonna happen its gonna be defensivly driven, having SIU and SDSU at home is going to be huge.

Gotta love KU's espn station. Divison 2 North dakota state defeats Divison 1 KU.

morons..

Also, I am done with voting polls if we do not recieve more votes than UND after this week.xbangx

I thought you were the same team?????

gjw007
September 5th, 2010, 02:00 AM
#1? No. Top 25? No. Receiving votes? Sure. Next week should tell us a lot. Good win though.

Tough crowd to crack. Compared to the teams in the current top 25, how did NDSU compared to them. Compared to the level of competition, if they aren't put in the top 25, I would be surprised. The most important win is the last win of the season and I think that is what NDSU is shooting for and not ranking per se.

JBB
September 5th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Who cares about this arguement? On with the current season.

Whom do we play next week? My elderly Mother would like to know....

Fighting Cock
September 5th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Congrats to the BISON!!!!! and go GAMECOCKS!!!!

darell1976
September 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
I would like to congratulate NDSU on their FBS victory. Their defense was outstanding, and if they play like this they will definately make the playoffs IMO. I think the Sioux could learn a thing or two on preparing for FBS games. KU all I can say is not a good way to open the year at home with a new starting QB, new head coach and getting schooled by a FCS team. KU is going to get killed next week against Georgia Tech, as for NDSU I see them beating UNI next week. xthumbsupx

Houndawg
September 5th, 2010, 08:39 AM
JSU#1, NDSU #2. Bison need to get over this quick so they don't do like UNI last year after they had just narrowly avoided a win at Iowa.

AmsterBison
September 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Maybe #25 - I think it denigrates teh FCS to say that a team should shoot high in the polls just because of an FBS win.

And, btw, NO WAY was the win against Minnesota a huge upset - not after the disappointing 1-point loss against the same team the year before and coming off a 10-1 season. This game was more of an upset giving how terrible NDSU's record was last year.

NDB
September 5th, 2010, 09:20 AM
NDSU has no business being top 10, let alone number one.

However, it needs to join the poll.

Also for all you NDSU doubters. According to ESPN stats (who could be wrong) there have been 19 FCS>FBS wins since 2004. NDSU owns four of those wins.

The Bison have had two tough seasons and haven't made the playoffs, but that stat alone is pretty powerful currency in my book.

(However, it doesn't justify the attitude/behavior of some fans.)

Cocky
September 5th, 2010, 10:17 AM
FBS wins or BCS wins?

MplsBison
September 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Why are so many NDSU fans falling over themselves to sandbag one of the best wins in the program's history?

Trying to make sure the AGS community doesn't get even more jealous than they already are?

This is was an amazing win for the program, especially after last year and the program deserves national respect.

I for one don't give a ____ if every AGS poster is pissed off - I won't sandbag this one.

NDSU should be top 5 after a win like that. Go sit on it if you don't like us.

MSUBear42
September 5th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Why are so many NDSU fans falling over themselves to sandbag one of the best wins in the program's history?

Trying to make sure the AGS community doesn't get even more jealous than they already are?

This is was an amazing win for the program, especially after last year and the program deserves national respect.

I for one don't give a ____ if every AGS poster is pissed off - I won't sandbag this one.

NDSU should be top 5 after a win like that. Go sit it on if you don't like us.

You crack me up.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
We'll see who's cracking who, won't we?

NDSU had fun last time it was in Springfield.

MSUBear42
September 5th, 2010, 11:13 AM
We'll see who's cracking who, won't we?

NDSU had fun last time it was in Springfield.

You sure did! As did the 10 people watching the game! That was miserable, 30ish degrees and sleeting the entire game!

FargoBison
September 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM
It was a nice win but it was just one game. Like coach Bohl said after that game...Beating Kansas is nice for show but next week against UNI is for dough.

Any game at the UNI Dome is tough, if the Bison can get out of there with a W that would say maybe more about NDSU than this win.

Houndawg
September 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Bison by 10-14 at the dome.

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Bison by 10-14 at the dome.

xlolx I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2010, 01:00 PM
You sure did! As did the 10 people watching the game! That was miserable, 30ish degrees and sleeting the entire game!

I wasn't in Springfield when NDSU won the game last time.

Are you saying the weather is the reason that MSU lost 48-27, even though NDSU plays in a dome and MSU plays outdoors?

That's a weak excuse, hopefully MSU is more competitive this year.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
It was a nice win but it was just one game. Like coach Bohl said after that game...Beating Kansas is nice for show but next week against UNI is for dough.

Any game at the UNI Dome is tough, if the Bison can get out of there with a W that would say maybe more about NDSU than this win.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Stop sandbagging this great win for the program.

MSUBear42
September 5th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I wasn't in Springfield when NDSU won the game last time.

Are you saying the weather is the reason that MSU lost 48-27, even though NDSU plays in a dome and MSU plays outdoors?

That's a weak excuse, hopefully MSU is more competitive this year.

No, was just saying that was the most miserable game I've ever witnessed in person.

There were literally three students (outside of the band) in attendance.

jacksfan29
September 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM

NDSU should be top 5 after a win like that. Go sit on it if you don't like us.

Top 5? Heck no, your not giving the Bison enough respect. To make you and Lakes happy the Bison should come in next week #1! Actually, I believe this makes you a lock to get a Big 12 invite, or is it the WAC, MAC or MWC this week?xlolx

As for the sane Bison fans, congrats; good to see that one of the two FBS wins yesterday was from the MVFC. The Bison should be in the top 25 next week and with a win over UNI next week they could very well be the surprise of the conference in 2010.

UNI Pike
September 5th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Top 5? Heck no, your not giving the Bison enough respect. To make you and Lakes happy the Bison should come in next week #1! Actually, I believe this makes you a lock to get a Big 12 invite, or is it the WAC, MAC or MWC this week?xlolx

As for the sane Bison fans, congrats; good to see that one of the two FBS wins yesterday was from the MVFC. The Bison should be in the top 25 next week and with a win over UNI next week they could very well be the surprise of the conference in 2010.

Lakes would only be happy if Bison received all number #1 votes, and no one else received a vote of any kind.

MplsBison
September 5th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Only thing that would surprise me about the MVFC this year would be if SDSU's program actually did something that was relevent in NCAA football. That would be great, especially for the fanbase that now thinks of themselves as perennial championship contenders.

Gil Dobie
September 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I love the ignore feature :)

Western_101
September 5th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Way to go Bison, Way to represent the Valley!

However, A team that was previously unranked that fails to score even one touchdown does not warrant top ten consideration.

I will add that a 63 scholarship FCS school going to a BCS program and getting a win should absolutely earn a place breaking into the polls.

Now if NDSU can go to the dome next week and beat UNI I bump NDSU into top 5.

Gotta show a body of work and that a no touchdown win against a wretched BCS program was not a fluke.

I am proud that y'all represented though!!!!!!xhurrayx

johnson
September 5th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Way to go Bison, Way to represent the Valley!

However, A team that was previously unranked that fails to score even one touchdown does not warrant top ten consideration.

I will add that a 63 scholarship FCS school going to a BCS program and getting a win should absolutely earn a place breaking into the polls.

Now if NDSU can go to the dome next week and beat UNI I bump NDSU into top 5.

Gotta show a body of work and that a no touchdown win against a wretched BCS program was not a fluke.

I am proud that y'all represented though!!!!!!xhurrayx

NDSU had an obligation to make it up to the MVFC for its recent poor performance on and off the field. I hope this has helped a little. I am hoping for a #22 or #23 in the polls this week. It would give NDSU a little room to move down and stay in the top 25 if they can't get by UNI next week. Pretty sure the offensive playbook was hardly touched vs KU. Next week should give us all a better idea where everyone is at.

semobison
September 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I am one Bison fan who could care less about rankings this early in the season. Lotta football to play, and we havn't beaten UNI since we joined the MVFC. Kansas was a big win, but we have more important business to take care of next saturday! Go Bison!

Houndawg
September 5th, 2010, 07:29 PM
xlolx I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Just trollin' .........

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Pretty sure the offensive playbook was hardly touched vs KU. Next week should give us all a better idea where everyone is at.

I watched the game and I don't buy this. In a close winable game vs. a BCS team, you don't play vanilla, that win would give you some extra weight towards an at-large bid.

KSPanther
September 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM
NO WAY! Iowa is and still is a top 25 FBS program..........KU is far from that at this time. It was a good win for the Bison.................not even close to what UNI did in Iowa City last year

JBB
September 5th, 2010, 09:02 PM
NDSU won.

OrygunBison
September 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM
NO WAY! Iowa is and still is a top 25 FBS program..........KU is far from that at this time. It was a good win for the Bison.................not even close to what UNI did in Iowa City last year

Correct. Winning our game is not even close to you losing yours. We agree.

ValleyChamp
September 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
The bison fans have come out of hiding. xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

johnson
September 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I watched the game and I don't buy this. In a close winable game vs. a BCS team, you don't play vanilla, that win would give you some extra weight towards an at-large bid.

Veldman wasn't used like he has been during all spring and fall camps. The same can be said of Sigers. You haven't seen very much of Justin Howard yet either. I'm pretty sure you'll see what I'm talking about next week. They used a wide variety of the playbook but it was just the basics. Buy it or not that doesn't bother me. I just noticed that alot of the stuff I have seen them doing this past off season wasn't used at KU.

PantherRob82
September 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
O
Veldman wasn't used like he has been during all spring and fall camps. The same can be said of Sigers. You haven't seen very much of Justin Howard yet either. I'm pretty sure you'll see what I'm talking about next week. They used a wide variety of the playbook but it was just the basics. Buy it or not that doesn't bother me. I just noticed that alot of the stuff I have seen them doing this past off season wasn't used at KU.

Fair enough.

89rabbit
September 5th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Yup. xnodx

DJKyR0
September 6th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Howdy everyone! I'm an NDSU student and have kept an eye on AGS for awhile (some of you might have seen me around on Bisonville passing out the kool-aid and de-railing threads) and decided to finally make an account and get posting.

Personally I'm not sure NDSU deserves to be ranked at this point - Kansas was a huge win that had us going nuts at the watch-party, but realistically I can't expect everyone to suddenly see NDSU as a threat. If we'd get ranked I'd expect it to be in the 20-25 range, which is pretty generous considering we had five total votes in the preseason poll. Now, if we go 3-0 with UNI and Morgan State upcoming then sure, I could see a top-15 ranking. As is I'll cautiously hope for a 25 or better and see where the chips fall come Saturday. ;)

JBB
September 6th, 2010, 09:45 AM

Some of us never left and kept the faith through the whole 2 year ordeal. We have now recovered.

JBB
September 6th, 2010, 10:05 AM

Coach Bohl has talked about this in the past. He uses one game to set up another. UNI saw what The Coach wanted them to and the KU game revealed only what he had to to win.

Twentysix
September 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
NDSU is ranked #21, perfectly fitting into the top 20-25 i thought they deserved.

The MVFC has 4 of 9 teams ranked in the top 25.

MSUBear42
September 6th, 2010, 12:05 PM
NDSU is ranked #21, perfectly fitting into the top 20-25 i thought they deserved.

The MVFC has 4 of 9 teams ranked in the top 25.
In what poll?

MplsBison
September 6th, 2010, 12:12 PM

Then you didn't watch the game and have no idea about the still-Pat Perles-influenced playbook of the NDSU offense. (no surprise with Vigen as the OC - he was a Perles understudy since 2003)

The game announcer literally called it, paraphrasing: "you can call NDSU's offense right now: power right or power left".

That's what they did. Throw in a few basic zone run plays, some play action and some 5-step drop passes, that was their offense (no idea how many different route schemes, but guessing not that many).

That's going to be their offense this season. "Try to stop the run up the middle". Your team can put as many of your little nicklebacks in the box as it wants, NDSU is still going to run power up the gut with some play-action passed mixed in and a few drop backs when needed.

Rely the rest of the game on the defense and special teams and there you have it: NDSU's MO under Bohl since 2003.

Twentysix
September 6th, 2010, 12:31 PM
In what poll?

SPN FCS Top 25.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Then you didn't watch the game and have no idea about the still-Pat Perles-influenced playbook of the NDSU offense. (no surprise with Vigen as the OC - he was a Perles understudy since 2003)

The game announcer literally called it, paraphrasing: "you can call NDSU's offense right now: power right or power left".

That's what they did. Throw in a few basic zone run plays, some play action and some 5-step drop passes, that was their offense (no idea how many different route schemes, but guessing not that many).

That's going to be their offense this season. "Try to stop the run up the middle". Your team can put as many of your little nicklebacks in the box as it wants, NDSU is still going to run power up the gut with some play-action passed mixed in and a few drop backs when needed.

Rely the rest of the game on the defense and special teams and there you have it: NDSU's MO under Bohl since 2003.

That is not going to work week in and week out. That is exactly how NDSU has tried to play since joining this conference, trying to just overpower people with some HS-esque offense. It doesn't work.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Howdy everyone! I'm an NDSU student and have kept an eye on AGS for awhile (some of you might have seen me around on Bisonville passing out the kool-aid and de-railing threads) and decided to finally make an account and get posting.

Personally I'm not sure NDSU deserves to be ranked at this point - Kansas was a huge win that had us going nuts at the watch-party, but realistically I can't expect everyone to suddenly see NDSU as a threat. If we'd get ranked I'd expect it to be in the 20-25 range, which is pretty generous considering we had five total votes in the preseason poll. Now, if we go 3-0 with UNI and Morgan State upcoming then sure, I could see a top-15 ranking. As is I'll cautiously hope for a 25 or better and see where the chips fall come Saturday. ;)

Great first post. Welcome to the board.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Some of us never left and kept the faith through the whole 2 year ordeal. We have now recovered.

That's true JBB. You, Gil, Lakes, and MPLS (probably some others I am forgetting) have stuck it out.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Coach Bohl has talked about this in the past. He uses one game to set up another. UNI saw what The Coach wanted them to and the KU game revealed only what he had to to win.

I agree. NDSU has also seen what we wanted them to: Nothing. No one even knows what's going on at QB or when our scrimages are. Pretty secerative this year.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM

I've watched the game 3 times, seen the Bison games in person the last two years and have watched other games online or on TV. I have a pretty decent idea of what Bohl and the Bison like to do. Obviously I wouldn't know the wrinkles they added this off season, but then again, neither would most of you.

Native
September 6th, 2010, 02:01 PM
#1? No.

Top 15? Yes.

Let's see what else the Bison do this year. We get to find out right away if they are the real deal.

I nominate NDSU @ UNI as next week's game of the week.

UNHWildCats
September 6th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Couldn't resist! xhurrayx

Congrats Bison! xsmileyclapx

The Road to Frisco has begun! Two exciting wins over FBS teams, several surprises around the country, here we go... xnodx
The two bozo's who voted them #1 should lose their voting rights.

FargoBison
September 6th, 2010, 03:34 PM
That is not going to work week in and week out. That is exactly how NDSU has tried to play since joining this conference, trying to just overpower people with some HS-esque offense. It doesn't work.

It works with the right QB. In 2008 and 2009 our QB play was largely terrible, but before that with Steve Walker the offense was very tough. Controlling the clock and able to come back when needed.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 03:54 PM
It works with the right QB. In 2008 and 2009 our QB play was largely terrible, but before that with Steve Walker the offense was very tough. Controlling the clock and able to come back when needed.

Steve Walker did not play against the MVFC.

PantherRob82
September 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM
A lot of teams still play ball control and are very succesful. VTech comes to mind.

FargoBison
September 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Doesn't mean a thing. He played many good to great teams, including going 3-1 vs the FBS with his one loss being by a point. Cal Poly was in our conference, they had a great defense. SDSU is always solid on that side of the ball. The west coast can be very effective with the right QB and down right awful with a poor QB. Just look at the Vikings offense, dynamic with Favre and it was hardly watchable before he got there.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
It means everthing. The teams he was playing against were largely inferior to the teams NDSU is competing against now.

FargoBison
September 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
It means everthing. The teams he was playing against were largely inferior to the teams NDSU is competing against now.

Yeah right skippy, think what you want. It is just as wrong the first time I heard it as it is now.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Is it your opinion that the Great west is equal to the MVFC?

Twentysix
September 6th, 2010, 05:08 PM
The great west was like 4 teams then, we played teams from all over.

Stephen F. Austin
Sam Houston State
Central Michigan (FBS)
Western Illinois (MVFC)
UC Davis
Mississippi Valley State MVSU was terrible but then again so is/was ISU-Blue
Minnesota (BCS)
Southern Utah
Illinois State (MVFC)
Cal Poly
South Dakota State

Concordia-St. Paul (comparable to 90% of the MVC opening games this week)
Northeastern
Ball State (FBS)
Stephen F. Austin
Georgia Southern (Who the heck are these guys...)
Mississippi Valley State(See ISU-Blue comparison)
Minnesota (BCS)
Southern Utah
UC Davis
Cal Poly
South Dakota State

Twentysix
September 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Is it your opinion that the Great west is equal to the MVFC?

How could a 4-5 team conference ever compete with a 9 team conference? This is a retarded question.

Twentysix
September 6th, 2010, 05:11 PM

Steve walker did not play against the MVFC, but that doesn't mean NDSU wouldnt of competed well in the MVFC during his years either. Honestly sounds like your grasping at straws to say NDSU will never be good unless they install a spread or some crazy quintuple option game plan.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'm saying that when NDSU runs a vanilla offense, it is not effective when facing good competition every week. You can't overpower teams week after week.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 05:35 PM
How could a 4-5 team conference ever compete with a 9 team conference? This is a retarded question.

How is it retarded? I'm pointing out that instead of facing 4-5 bad teams every year that would be almost automatic wins, you are facing 6-7 good teams every year. That is a big difference schedule wise.

How is that difficult to comprehend?

Twentysix
September 6th, 2010, 05:41 PM
How is it retarded? I'm pointing out that instead of facing 4-5 bad teams every year that would be almost automatic wins, you are facing 6-7 good teams every year. That is a big difference schedule wise.

How is that difficult to comprehend?

Assuming what ive bolded means the entire GWFC was bad teams according to you.
UC Davis
SDSU
Cal Poly

are typically pretty good.

FargoBison
September 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I'm not saying the MVFC isn't tough because it is and that has played a huge role in our struggles. But it doesn't help when we peaked in 2007 and have been rebuilding ever since. You can't say the Walker lead teams couldn't hold its own in the MVFC, there just isn't anything conclusive to base an opinion on.

That said the past is the past. Lets talk about today, Walker is long gone and now it is up to Jose Mohler to lead the Bison. It should be very interesting to see if he can make the offense a bit more dynamic because we all know that what we did against Kansas won't work every week.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 6th, 2010, 06:20 PM
No way should we be ranked #1.

20-25 is probably right, if they even get ranked.

This weeks game at UNI will be a good measure for this team. UNI lost a lot of starters from last year but they usually reload every year.

This year's Bison defense looks like it could be a very good one. If they play against UNI like they did against Kansas they will beat UNI this year. The offense needs to open up the playbook more. Power running and roll-out left and right will not cut it in the meat of the schedule.

GO BISON beat UNI

JBB
September 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Walker played against SIU. He was leading the team to what looked to be the winning drive and blew out his knee.

bisonguy
September 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Walker played against SIU. He was leading the team to what looked to be the winning drive and blew out his knee.

The winning drive when SIU was already up 9-0 in the second quarter?

JBB
September 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Hey, it was 4 yrs ago. I thought if NDSU would have scored, and they were moving the ball, momentum was all BISON. I forgot a few minor details. That was a whale of a game. I watched it on the internet.

The final was 9-0. 9 because NDSU blocked an extra point kick. The blocked punt against Kansas was the 3rd in 4 games. Both teams had around 250 yds. NDSU had 1 third down conversion but they had 15 first downs. They made 14 first downs on 1st and 2nd down! SIU is and has been a good team.

ValleyChamp
September 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
xlolx

mgbison
September 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Before the thread drift. We should be ranked anywhere from #15 to #25.

We would have been just fine playing in the mvfc in 06 and 07. vanilla offense can't win. c'mon. What the hell did Alabama do last year? SEC is a little better than the MVFC.

We ran the same offense with Walker and Mertens. Walker was a stud, Mertens wasn't. Bohl didn't recruit a QB for 2 years, and when Mertens sucked, we were screwed. With Walker, we could pass the ball 60% of the time if needed. For example, when we beat Ball State, we won because Walker threw for 300+ yards after Ball State started stopping the run.

Our 06 and 07 teams have 4 guys playing in the NFL. Humber -Colts, Mays - Broncos, Dahl - Rams, Schommer - (titans, maybe got cut this year). Not to mention a couple of guys who have been on practice squads, but like FargoBison mentioned it was 3 years ago and it's time to move on.

Houndawg
September 7th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Before the thread drift. We should be ranked anywhere from #15 to #25.

We would have been just fine playing in the mvfc in 06 and 07. vanilla offense can't win. c'mon. What the hell did Alabama do last year? SEC is a little better than the MVFC.

We ran the same offense with Walker and Mertens. Walker was a stud, Mertens wasn't. Bohl didn't recruit a QB for 2 years, and when Mertens sucked, we were screwed. With Walker, we could pass the ball 60% of the time if needed. For example, when we beat Ball State, we won because Walker threw for 300+ yards after Ball State started stopping the run.

Our 06 and 07 teams have 4 guys playing in the NFL. Humber -Colts, Mays - Broncos, Dahl - Rams, Schommer - (titans, maybe got cut this year). Not to mention a couple of guys who have been on practice squads, but like FargoBison mentioned it was 3 years ago and it's time to move on.

Well, you have one good win since joining the MVC. I think your vanilla offense has to get a little credit for that......

The 9-0 game, which I attended, was against an SIU team that wasn't nearly as good as subsequent years, although Arkee Whitlock, who ran for 100+ yds. in that game is still playing in Edmonton. Walker, the stud QB, was 7/17 for 67 yds. and a pick, and your leading rusher had about 65 yds. Vanilla offense with a stud QB wasn't working against better competition back then either.

FargoBison
September 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM
For one Walker blew out his knee in the second quarter of that game(the QB that replaced him would be converted to a WR the next year) and also the weather sucked and all either team could really do is run. I think NDSU had a punt blocked or a bad snap and that was the difference in the game.

That said, Bohl is 53-25 as the head coach, 4-3 vs the FBS, something must be working.

mgbison
September 7th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Our record the last 2 years had nothing to do with the offense that we run. Our defense was terrible last year. terrible. We seem to have fixed that by going back to the tampa 2. We could have scored 50 pts per game last year and our opponents would've scored 53. We couldn't stop anybody. The only game that our defense looked even remotely decent was probably the SIU game.

Professor Chaos
September 7th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Greetings all, I'm a first time caller but long time listener on the board and I had to comment on this because I'd like to try and quantify the magnitude of NDSU's win over KU but temper the enthusiasm a little bit.

First of all, let me just say that this was a huge win for the psyche of this team. They lost a ton of close games last year because the opponent made a play that the Bison couldn't. This win should do wonders for the confidence of a talented but inexperienced squad. Now, having said that, NDSU's defense played spectacularly but other than that they did struggle against KU. They averaged 2.3 yards per rush and had a ratio of total yards to penalty yards (168/105) that is ugly on both sides. The kick coverage was awful as they gave up 84 yards on 2 returns with the kicker making both tackles. Turnovers were the saving grace in this game as they often are. NDSU's defense cannot keep up what they did against Kansas all year, although they did show that they're back from the struggles they had last year, so the offense has to improve if this season is going to be a successful one for the Bison.

Bottom line is this was a great win but it was only 1 win. There are a lot of things NDSU can improve on but the season opening performance was encouraging to say the least. I think a 20-25 ranking in the polls is justified. We'll get to see in a hurry whether or not the defense can sustain their momentum and whether offense is better than they showed in Kansas as UNI will be another tough test on Saturday.

SalukiJim
September 7th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Greetings all, I'm a first time caller but long time listener on the board and I had to comment ....

I call shenanigans - you make way too much sense for a first time posterxlolx

Houndawg
September 8th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Our record the last 2 years had nothing to do with the offense that we run. Our defense was terrible last year. terrible. We seem to have fixed that by going back to the tampa 2. We could have scored 50 pts per game last year and our opponents would've scored 53. We couldn't stop anybody. The only game that our defense looked even remotely decent was probably the SIU game.

Lennon doesn't run the score up when the defense has the game in hand. Don't want to show too much to the next opponent.

SalukiJim
September 8th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Lennon doesn't run the score up when the defense has the game in hand. Don't want to show too much to the next opponent.

True there, Houndawg, but last year it kinda drove me nuts and maybe NOT stomping teams like SEMO cost us a better seed? I am not for blowouts but late in the year you have to play the polls game...