PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth at Colgate - Game Thread

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM
We are 4 1/2 hours away from kickoff at illuminated Andy Kerr Stadium in Hamilton, NY

Monmouth Hawks, 0-0
at
Colgate Raiders, 0-0

Media Links from GoColgateRaiders.com (http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/sports/2010/7/11/FB_0711105432.aspx?path=football)

Live Audio from TeamLine
http://www.teamline.cc/teampage?teamcode=2007

LiveStats from Sidearm Stats
http://www.sidearmstats.com/colgate/football/

Video from Colgate All-Access
http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/showcase/#liveevents

Last Game
Monmouth - L 23-9 vs. Robert Morris
Colgate - W 29-14 vs. Bucknell

All-Time Series: 1-1
Streak: Colgate - 1 Win
Last Meeting: Colgate 35-32 in Hamilton (2009)

Coaches
Monmouth: Kevin Callahan, 18th Season, 101-72
Colgate: Dick Biddle, 15th Season, 113-51

Next Game
Monmouth vs. Maine
Colgate at Furman

Let's Go 'Gate!

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM
2010 Starting Lineup for Colgate
Offense
QB Greg Sullivan
TB Nate Eachus
FB Gigi Cadet
WR Doug Rosnick
WR Jonathan Mputu
TE Nick Cvetic
LT Ryan Risch
LG Brian Merrifield
C Craig Capodiferro
RG James Germano
RT Vittorio Ottanelli

Defense
RE Zach Smith
DT Greg Kafaf
NT Tyler Danielsen
DE Lamont Sonds
ILB Chris DiMassa
ILB Mike Barry
OLB Patrick Friel
CB Coree Moses
SS Demitri Diamond
FS Vinnie Nicosia
CB Kenny McKenzie

Special Teams
K Evan Colborne
P Evan Goldszak

TheValleyRaider
September 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Colgate enters the 2010 season ranked #22 in both the Sports Network and Coaches Preseason polls

The Raiders were picked to win the Patriot League, and QB Greg Sullivan named Preseason Offensive Player of the Year

TB Nate Eachus is currently 17th on the school's all-time rushing list with 1,851 yards. He needs 370 yards to reach the top 10. Eachus also sits 11th on the all-time rushing TD list with 26

I won't be able to follow tonight's game, the opener of Colgate's 120th season, but anyone should feel free to use this thread, including MU fans

Here's to a great season xbeerchugx

ColgateTD
September 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Looks like wind will play an important part in tonight's game. Selection of which goal post to defend may be key.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Nice night for football expected - I hope there is a decent crowd.

I wanted to be there but, as Daniel Webster said, the law is a jealous mistress.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Go Hawks!!

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Did they start the live feed yet?

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I don't think so NFL

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Feed up and running now!!!!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Colgate wins toss and defers. MU will receive.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Im watching it now!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Mike Avant slips on the return 1st and 10 at the 25 for MU

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Great start, delay of game, uggh.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Same thing as last year. They have wideouts running open downfield.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Colgate is playing smart!!

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
TD Colgate, they lead 7-0 in the 1st qtr

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Colgate marches right down the field and punches it in from 3 yds out. Eachus with the td.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah always a weakness once those WR get past the LB's. COMMUNICATION!

Go...gate
September 4th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Having trouble with the audio feed on the Colgate website. What's going on?

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Rotating backers is not a good sign...

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
We look terrible.

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Colgate TD, they now lead 14-0

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 05:30 PM
End 1st qtr, score still 14-0 Raiders.

Monmouth has a 1st down at approx. the Colgate 35

Go...gate
September 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Nice run by the Monmouth back. End of First Quarter.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Have linked to WOBM-AM 1160. Monmouth has fine announcers (Nelligan Sports, which also provides on-air talent for Princeton and Rutgers).

2nd & 5 for Monmouth. run to the Colgate 23.

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Monmouth TD makes it 14-7 Colgate, early in the 2nd

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 05:34 PM
nvm

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Monmouth always needs a wake up call.. now gotta dig ourselves out of the hole!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Yes they do NFL.

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Colgate FG makes it 17-7 Raiders.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
We are losing the battle in the trenches.. Young D-line

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Now we got players checking out.. Not good!!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
As bad as we played, we are still in it!!!

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Colgate misses a FG.

17-7 Colgate at the half.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Colgate's kicking game is still worrisome. Very makeable FG of 29 years and Colborn pushed it.

Colgate has a 3 to 1 lead in total yardage and TOP and a 17 - 7 lead.

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Colgate scores a TD, but misses the extra point. Score is now 23-7 Raiders with about 10 min. left in the 3rd.

Remise
September 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Between the PAT and the kickoff, I can see there have been a lot of improvements to the Gate's special teams.

Well, um...

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Monmouth scores a TD on the kickoff return. They go for 2 but don't convert.

Score is now 23-13 in favor of Colgate.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Booby!!! Kick return for a TD!!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I really wish they were doing replays on the feed. Would love to have a view as to whether that was a catch or not.

Remise
September 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM
P.S. I didn't mean our kickoff return team!

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Greg Sullivan scores a TD for Colgate. It's now 30-13.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 06:49 PM
53 for colgate is having a day!

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Monmouth FG makes it 30-16, late in the 3rd.

Go...gate
September 4th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Colgate rarely does this well in an opener.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah this game is over. Monmouth doesn't play well playing catch-up. They take up tooooooo much time and dont have quick strike plays in their offense.

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
End of the 3rd qtr in Hamilton.

Remise
September 4th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Colgate rarely does this well in an opener.

Good point, mistakes notwithstanding. And it looks like some key roles and positions that were questionable may be well-filled this year.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Wait a min.. They sub in Instant Offense!!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Wait a min.. They sub in Instant Offense!!

I was thinking the same thing. Monmouth 91 yd td drive, led by Mandeville. Monmouth down 30-23.

kDex86
September 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Monmouth scores a TD to make it 30-23 with 8:54 left in the game.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:14 PM
I felt he should have been the starter anyway. Frazier is a good QB but they cant block long enough for him to sit there and pass. He can't create with his legs when the pocket breaks down the way Mandeville does.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM
I agree NFL. This is huge here. I truly do not have much faith in us stopping them on 4th and short.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Defense comes up big!!!!!! Let's go!!!

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Go for the WIN!!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Monmouth scores. TO Colgate. MU going for 2 it looks like!!!

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I wouldnt have called that play.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Wow. Terrible. I knew what they were going to do out of that formation, and I've never seen that formation ever.

Remise
September 4th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Talk about knuckle-biters!

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
And ladies and Gentlemen that is the game.. hats off to Colgate I give monmouth credit we never go away but im just a bit tired of thinking "what if" "what if" and having to dig ourselves out of the hole. Colgate is a class program and comes from a class league.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Good game folks. I must admit NFL, I'm feeling the same way. So many games where we could win and we don't. I'm tired of Albany and CCSU getting great OOC wins and not us.

ColgateTD
September 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I am now going to exhale.....wheeeew!

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Good game folks. I must admit NFL, I'm feeling the same way. So many games where we could win and we don't. I'm tired of Albany and CCSU getting great OOC wins and not us.

They (albany and CCSU) are built to win those games because they have an agenda to push, whereas Monmouth is still trying to prove we belong when we did that years ago!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Too add to my previous post. I'm also getting frustrated with falling behind early to so many teams. Unfortunately, going for 2 (the first time), killed us. Of course, it was needed at that time. Glad he went for 2. Not a huge fan of the play call. Why bother having Frazier in there. He is completely a non factor on the play.

ColgateTD
September 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Kudos to Monmouth. When it looked like the Red Raiders might run away with it, the Hawks came back. That 90-yard TD gallop turned things around for them and they won the second half clearly. 'Gate has some work to do before taking on Firman and 'Cuse! Good luck to Monmouth the rest of the way - exciting game!

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:49 PM
NFL, is that the feeling in the locker room, or amongst the coaching staff?? Its been several years since I was around the team.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks Colgate. Same to you and your team. Hopefully, MU will not come out flat in our home opener next weekend.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
They have to make a decision by next week which way they are going to go in the offense with the QBs.. They did it one year with Boland and Kennedy but they were interchangeable didnt have to change the plays. This years its two different QBs two different O's

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
The curse of Game One. Then again, look what happened the last year Colgate won the opener by one point.

Gater
September 4th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Colgate absolutely escaped. I don't think I would have gone for two at the end when momentum was so clearly on Monmouth's side--that being said it was just a matter of inches. Monmouth has all the weapons to have a really good season. Good luck the rest of the way.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM
NFL, is that the feeling in the locker room, or amongst the coaching staff?? Its been several years since I was around the team.

Thats the feeling of the staff and whoever schedules the games.. What direction are we going in? They are talking about this being a stepping stone.. What did we learn? Where do we go from here? CCSU play UHN today they got crushed but as least they will learn something and bring what they learned into league games. Albany does it thats why they used go 0- whatever in OOC but win out in the league. As far as the locker room i believe they feel they could play with anyone but just dont have the comradery and chemistry needed to take on anyone.

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Congrats Raiders.

JMG1MON
September 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
That's disappointing to hear. I want to see that fire next week. Come out and know that they can win the game. Have the mentality they can win the game. Not think, wow, we are playing a full scholarship team. I've been questioning our direction for awhile. Go out and play some big name teams. It was awesome to see Villanova on our schedule for next season.

NFLCB2
September 4th, 2010, 08:23 PM
That's disappointing to hear. I want to see that fire next week. Come out and know that they can win the game. Have the mentality they can win the game. Not think, wow, we are playing a full scholarship team. I've been questioning our direction for awhile. Go out and play some big name teams. It was awesome to see Villanova on our schedule for next season.

No doubt they will come out with fire next week.. They are familiar with Maine they know what they are about. Im just concerned about how they will do against Maine's Running attack. Their back Turcotte is a beast!!

ColgateTD
September 4th, 2010, 08:30 PM
The curse of Game One. Then again, look what happened the last year Colgate won the opener by one point.

Good memory, DFW! If only we could repeat that season. BTW, nice win for you folks today vs. Davidson!

Go...gate
September 4th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Another nail-biter in a Colgate opener. Thank goodness for the win!. Monmouth never quit and it looks like they will be very tough. Best of luck to the Hawks for success as the season continues.

TheValleyRaider
September 5th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Nice to see this thread got some use, even if it was mostly Monmouth fans xsmiley_wix

I know enough to know that I shouldn't complain too much about any win, but blowing a lead (or at least nearly doing so)? That is worrisome

Good luck to MU the rest of the way, and we'll see you in Joisey next fall

ColgateTD
September 5th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Box indicates 7260 at the game. Anyone think those numbers are inflated? Certainly couldn't hear anyone in the stands over the radio broiadcast...

colorless raider
September 5th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Lucky if there were 4000 fans.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
No doubt they will come out with fire next week.. They are familiar with Maine they know what they are about. Im just concerned about how they will do against Maine's Running attack. Their back Turcotte is a beast!!

Monmouth guys, what do you think your chances are next week v Maine?

UAalum72
September 5th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Turcotte is good, but he went out late in the fourth quarter with a back contusion

MUHAWKS
September 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Monmouth guys, what do you think your chances are next week v Maine?

I watched every play of the game.. I have been at most MU games for the last several years including the 2 MU/Maine games. First, I will say from a "mental" standpoint, it could not look any worse for Monmouth. A Maine loss would mean 2 losses in a row to NEC teams before even starting the CAA schedule and with Syracuse on deck!! It basically means season over. So I would have much preferred Maine to beat Albany. Monmouth Had to figght and claw and use every bit of heart and soul to get back in that Colgate game to come up inches short. While it proved they "belong" and ahve talent and heart, it is very tough to bounce back from a game like that. Now that is strictly from a psychological standpoint (above)..

From a football standpoint, MU is beat up, upfront on the D-Line and can clearly be ran against. But they amde some adjustments and I think will be ready. I think they are confident offensively and Maine seems like a team lacking an identity..I think it will be a close physical game coming downt o the little things and turnovers etc,., Albany lost a lot of guys from last year, so unless they got a lot better or Maine just is not good, MU should be able to hang with them.. I am only worried about the mental aspect of a Maine loss meaning their season could truly be over..A Monmouth loss and They could still win the NEC and go to the playoffs. yes, technically, Maine could also lose to MU and the Cuse and win the CAA and go to playoffs, but realistically we all know that is not happenning. That worries me. I think Monmouths chances are very good. I do not worry about our offneses ability to move the ball. The pass protection looked a bit shaky at times..and stopping the run was also shaky.. But adjustments will be made.. It should be a GREAT game..I like MU in a tight one. A close lose to # 22 Colgate and a win over full scholly maine with Old Dominioon on deck is not a bad way to start. Lets not forget saturday is 9/11 and although football will be played, it is secondary to the true important things in life.

Go...gate
September 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I watched every play of the game.. I have been at most MU games for the last several years including the 2 MU/Maine games. First, I will say from a "mental" standpoint, it could not look any worse for Monmouth. A Maine loss would mean 2 losses in a row to NEC teams before even starting the CAA schedule and with Syracuse on deck!! It basically means season over. So I would have much preferred Maine to beat Albany. Monmouth Had to figght and claw and use every bit of heart and soul to get back in that Colgate game to come up inches short. While it proved they "belong" and ahve talent and heart, it is very tough to bounce back from a game like that. Now that is strictly from a psychological standpoint (above)..

From a football standpoint, MU is beat up, upfront on the D-Line and can clearly be ran against. But they amde some adjustments and I think will be ready. I think they are confident offensively and Maine seems like a team lacking an identity..I think it will be a close physical game coming downt o the little things and turnovers etc,., Albany lost a lot of guys from last year, so unless they got a lot better or Maine just is not good, MU should be able to hang with them.. I am only worried about the mental aspect of a Maine loss meaning their season could truly be over..A Monmouth loss and They could still win the NEC and go to the playoffs. yes, technically, Maine could also lose to MU and the Cuse and win the CAA and go to playoffs, but realistically we all know that is not happenning. That worries me. I think Monmouths chances are very good. I do not worry about our offneses ability to move the ball. The pass protection looked a bit shaky at times..and stopping the run was also shaky.. But adjustments will be made.. It should be a GREAT game..I like MU in a tight one. A close lose to # 22 Colgate and a win over full scholly maine with Old Dominioon on deck is not a bad way to start.

Lets not forget Saturday is 9/11 and, although football will be played, it is secondary to the true important things in life.

Well said - puts it all in perspective. Good luck to you guys this week and for the rest of the season.

NFLCB2
September 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
\ So I would have much preferred Maine to beat Albany. Monmouth Had to figght and claw and use every bit of heart and soul to get back in that Colgate game to come up inches short. While it proved they "belong" and ahve talent and heart, it is very tough to bounce back from a game like that. \

From a football standpoint, MU is beat up, upfront on the D-Line and can clearly be ran against. But they amde some adjustments and I think will be ready. I think they are confident offensively and Maine seems like a team lacking an identity..I think it will be a close physical game coming downt o the little things and turnovers etc,., Albany lost a lot of guys from last year, so unless they got a lot better or Maine just is not good, MU should be able to hang with them.. I am only worried about the mental aspect of a Maine loss meaning their season could truly be over..A Monmouth loss and They could still win the NEC and go to the playoffs. yes, technically, Maine could also lose to MU and the Cuse and win the CAA and go to playoffs, but realistically we all know that is not happenning. That worries me. I think Monmouths chances are very good. I do not worry about our offneses ability to move the ball. The pass protection looked a bit shaky at times..and stopping the run was also shaky.. But adjustments will be made..

Well Said Albany and Maine are similar teams flip flop them in conf you got the same thing. Shaky Offense relies heavily on the run and their D. I think Maine will have a lot to prove they will come out strong (very Strong and Physical) Monmouth will have to outsmart them and beat them to the punch! Neither team has an Identity last night you saw two different Offensive teams in monmouth. They are going to have to decide which way they are going to go.. Frazier looks good and has a great arm but it doesnt seem like they can protect long enough for him to sit back there. Teams are going to figure out what one can do and the other can't. Hats off to Mandeville for coming in the game late fresh off the bench to make something happen but now its no secret and we cant bank on that happening all the time, keeping him out the flow of the game and when we need quick results we sub him in.

On defense, the D line is very young as you saw but for many of them it was their first time seeing action. Moving Gumbs closer the line isn't a great idea it took him away from the action and did not allow him to play his heat seeker role. They have to adjust to vertical routes especially in the middle where it seems to be the sweet spot in our D. I am curious what changes they will make and what blitz packages they will insert.

Now as a team, Ive said it before we proved we have heart, talent and we belong years ago. We want to be accepted and respected like other teams and confs thats why we have a bid this year. There's no more room for "we are almost there". We are there and we have arrived we are just getting legitimately beat!xbangx

NFLCB2
September 5th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Well said - puts it all in perspective. Good luck to you guys this week and for the rest of the season.

You guys are a class program.. well coached, I took a visit years back. good luck to you guys I always keep track of Colgate through out the season!