PDA

View Full Version : G'town: Financial Woes and On-Field Lows

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM
http://georgetownvoice.com/2010/09/02/financial-woes-and-on-field-lows/

Read the whole thing. While it's not 100% accurate - most notably the quote that the schools in the Patriot League "can accept athletes with weaker academic profiles," which is no longer true - quotes like:

Without question, scholarship players would improve Georgetown’s on-field performance. Kelly readily admits that the lack of merit aid has cost the school recruits.

But the University is likely to balk at the prospect of adding the cost of scholarships—a full slate of 60 scholarships would cost around $3 million. The Patriot League would not necessarily commit to such a large scholarship program, but if its fellow members choose to move toward merit aid, Georgetown would have to make a decision: to seriously increase its commitment to football, or possibly look to play football elsewhere.

are worth the price of admission.

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
And off the field as well:

"A significantly higher number of accepted students submitted enrollment deposits in May than the number of students that ended up matriculating this fall, said Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Charles Deacon. “We have had more students than normal either defer for a year or withdraw entirely even after paying their deposit on May 1,” Deacon said in an email."

http://www.thehoya.com/news/YieldFlatAsAdmitsWeighAide93102/

EmeryZach
September 3rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
How much longer do you guys think you are going to last before the plug is pulled?

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
How much longer do you guys think you are going to last before the plug is pulled?

Thanks for the vote of support. The school won't be declaring bankruptcy anytime soon.

If this was strictly a football problem, that's one thing--it's a wide ranging problem, from sports that have no facilities at all whatsoever (a nationally ranked track team with no track) to teams playing at other school's fields or at off-campus parks (field hockey, baseball, softball), a boathouse project stuck in litigation for over 20 years, to more pressing issues such as the lack of a weight room or practice facilities (not even the basketball team has a practice facility, something that almost every other Big East school has.)

Football is fortunate by comparison that they have a home and their facility upgrade has passed muster for construction if funds can be found. Financial aid is a problem everywhere at Georgetown, not just football.

There's a lot of work to be done and perhaps that's why the search for a new athletic director took a year to fill.

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
a boathouse project stuck in litigation for over 20 years

The U.S. Government - the same U.S. Government that bleeds Georgetown dry by mandating the University to treat hospital patients free without federal or District recompensation - has actually sued Georgetown to block the boathouse project. That's right, folks, your elected administration argues that the Potomac waterfront is not an appropriate place for a collegiate boathouse because "other, non-water dependent locations" are available for the project.

Boathouse. Water. Make the connection. The government really, truly has nothing better to do.

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
“We don’t have quite the resource base of our peers, but we’re in a very good league for Georgetown to be in,” University President John J. DeGioia said last January. “We like the schools we play with, we like the schools that are in our conference, we like the fact that we’re able to bring Ivy League schools into our schedule and I think we’re just going to stay at it, work hard at it, and try to ensure that we’re in a place we can be more competitive and be able to provide that better of an experience for all of our team.”

OK, President DeGioia, if you mean this, than you need to get to work.

Oh, and by the way, if you like bringing Ivy League schools into your schedule, you need to play Dartmouth home-and-home.

EmeryZach
September 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the vote of support. The school won't be declaring bankruptcy anytime soon.

If this was strictly a football problem, that's one thing--it's a wide ranging problem, from sports that have no facilities at all whatsoever (a nationally ranked track team with no track) to teams playing at other school's fields or at off-campus parks (field hockey, baseball, softball), a boathouse project stuck in litigation for over 20 years, to more pressing issues such as the lack of a weight room or practice facilities (not even the basketball team has a practice facility, something that almost every other Big East school has.)

Football is fortunate by comparison that they have a home and their facility upgrade has passed muster for construction if funds can be found. Financial aid is a problem everywhere at Georgetown, not just football.

There's a lot of work to be done and perhaps that's why the search for a new athletic director took a year to fill.

I didn't mean it that way. I just meant I was curious what you Hoya fans think is going to happen. Which I think you answered. Thanks!

EmeryZach
September 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM

I didn't mean it that way. I just meant I was curious what you Hoya fans think is going to happen. Which I think you answered. Thanks!

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
It seems to me that given the general financial crunch at Georgetown overall, the focus for Football, whether from the AD, coach, administration, whomever, is to continue pressing for alumni support. It seems strange that a school like Georgetown, which regularly produces successful and wealthy alumni, couldn't find some donors at least willing to pony up for MSF or other facility improvements. Bill Clinton can't spare some pocket change for Hoya Football?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2010, 11:28 AM
It seems to me that given the general financial crunch at Georgetown overall, the focus for Football, whether from the AD, coach, administration, whomever, is to continue pressing for alumni support. It seems strange that a school like Georgetown, which regularly produces successful and wealthy alumni, couldn't find some donors at least willing to pony up for MSF or other facility improvements. Bill Clinton can't spare some pocket change for Hoya Football?

I have to believe if Bill would take one less trip to Europe every year he could donate enough money to make sure Georgetown's football team can take a bus to Hanover.

CFBfan
September 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM

Bill Clinton along with Paul Tagliabue, Jerry Jones Jr, etc.......

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Bill Clinton along with Paul Tagliabue, Jerry Jones Jr, etc.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgetown_University_alumni