PDA

View Full Version : How Good is the FBS?

JBB
September 2nd, 2010, 11:27 PM
Many of you are interested in your own FBS games. Tonight I have been watching Idaho host UND.

From this game I would say the FBS is very good. Idaho was in complete control 45-0. It seemed likely UND would score. The UND announcers have talked about UNDs "Crazy Speed" but say Idaho has "Incredible Speed". Coach Mussman is so well spoken!

Murray(sp) cant take the big time hit. He coughs it up when the big boys start hitting.

Are there any other games out there showing the difference between the FBS and FCS? I expect to be reporting back on the NDSU @ University of Kansas game in a couple days.

darell1976
September 2nd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Many of you are interested in your own FBS games. Tonight I have been watching Idaho host UND.

From this game I would say the FBS is very good. Idaho was in complete control 45-0. It seemed likely UND would score. The UND announcers have talked about UNDs "Crazy Speed" but say Idaho has "Incredible Speed". Coach Mussman is so well spoken!

Murray(sp) cant take the big time hit. He coughs it up when the big boys start hitting.

Are there any other games out there showing the difference between the FBS and FCS? I expect to be reporting back on the NDSU @ University of Kansas game in a couple days.

Idaho made UND's crazy speed look like a walk. Idaho is really good, but if they play like this against Nebraska they will get thumped like we did. UND gave up towards the end, and we have problems, but Idaho's QB Enderle is a great player and their RB's and WR's are good. Idaho could challenge Boise St for the WAC Title.

JBB
September 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
547 yds for Idaho.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2010, 11:41 PM
Coach Akey has become something of a cult figure out there. He'll be getting calls from BCS schools by the end of the year.

Tomorrow's Temple-'Nova game should be a real good barometer.

bonarae
September 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
I believe the majority of FBS teams (i.e. majority of our pre-Ivy foes) are two or three notches higher than where the Ivy League teams currently stand now. xsmhx (Case in point: Princeton-The Citadel, this proves that playoff-participating teams are I guess a notch higher than the Ivies.)

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Huge difference.

I'm as big an FCS homer as they come, but watch the games. The talent, size, speed, and athleticism is just different. I, for one, don't particularly care. People make much of comparing the two.

20-30 years ago it was a different argument.

JBB
September 3rd, 2010, 07:50 AM
NDSU will find out Sat how good a top FBS team is. Kansas will be the best team we have ever played. The other FBS matchups from the MAC, Iowa State and Wyoming seemed like pretty equal teams. The Gophers were down when we played them but that was an equal matchup too. I dont think there is any question about superior athletes in the FBS but some teams are far more loaded than others. Just like some FCS teams arent ready to play up some FBS teams look a lot like the FCS.

JMUNJ08
September 3rd, 2010, 07:55 AM
The only game where it seemed to be close was Tulane SE Louisianna who shot themselves in the foot with 4 TO's...

laxVik
September 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Idaho made UND's crazy speed look like a walk. Idaho is really good, but if they play like this against Nebraska they will get thumped like we did. UND gave up towards the end, and we have problems, but Idaho's QB Enderle is a great player and their RB's and WR's are good. Idaho could challenge Boise St for the WAC Title.

Duude really. That is sooo far from any realistic possibility. Face it... you got thumped by a lower level FBS team.

darell1976
September 3rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
Duude really. That is sooo far from any realistic possibility. Face it... you got thumped by a lower level FBS team.

Idaho is far from lower level. They had a bunch of NFL scouts looking at their QB and they have a lot of speed on their team, and I believe they could challenge BSU in the WAC. After being the WAC's doormat they have really turned that team around.

laxVik
September 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Idaho is far from lower level. They had a bunch of NFL scouts looking at their QB and they have a lot of speed on their team, and I believe they could challenge BSU in the WAC. After being the WAC's doormat they have really turned that team around.What? Top lower level? The best amoung WKU, SJSU, North Texas and the like?

JBB
September 3rd, 2010, 09:13 AM
I think a lot of FCS teams would have matched up well with the Vandals. Pre-season they were 133, just a notch above NDSU. The big difference in my mind is depth. ASU beat Mich. ASU had skill players every bit as good as Mich and overall the team was just as good in every phase of the game. I dont think ASU could have kept that up all season because of the depth issue.

Although you can get some really good matchups and thrilling games I dont think any FCS team could hang around for long even in the MAC.

THE HERD
September 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
What? Top lower level? The best amoung WKU, SJSU, North Texas and the like?

I agree with ya...Idaho is definitely a lower level FBS team. They are the type of FBS team that can be beaten by a upper level FCS team. There is no way they will challenge Boise St. I thought the Sioux had a chance in this game, but when ya turn the ball over five times you aren't gonna beat anyone. To beat an FBS team you have be able to run the ball and not turn the ball over.

darell1976
September 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I agree with ya...Idaho is definitely a lower level FBS team. They are the type of FBS team that can be beaten by a upper level FCS team. There is no way they will challenge Boise St. I thought the Sioux had a chance in this game, but when ya turn the ball over five times you aren't gonna beat anyone. To beat an FBS team you have be able to run the ball and not turn the ball over.

Exactly!!! Turnovers kill and when you drive down into the redzone only to turn the ball over..you deserve to lose.

UNH Fanboi
September 3rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Let's not forget that the vast majority of FBS teams hand pick FCS opponents that won't challenge them. If we saw more upper-level FCS teams play lower-level FBS teams, the difference between FCS and FBS wouldn't seem that huge.

darell1976
September 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
Idaho will get to know us since we play them next year along with Fresno State. Seems like for a while we have 2 FBS teams on our schedule every year. We have to win one of these games.

Redbird Ray
September 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
It looks as though Idaho is still pretty good, and maybe UND still has some work to do to compete in D1 (FBS or FCS). That said, there is no question that the top 25 in FCS can play with the bottom 40 or so of FBS. I was a bit surprised at the margin of victory by some of the MAC schools over FCS teams last night, but maybe Kent is finally ready to challenge for a MAC-East title (like many say they will), and maybe Murray and URI are really bad FCS teams this year.

We will find out a lot more on this front as the weekend plays out. Tons of FCS/FBS matchups.

JMUNJ08
September 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM
It looks as though Idaho is still pretty good, and maybe UND still has some work to do to compete in D1 (FBS or FCS). That said, there is no question that the top 25 in FCS can play with the bottom 40 or so of FBS. I was a bit surprised at the margin of victory by some of the MAC schools over FCS teams last night, but maybe Kent is finally ready to challenge for a MAC-East title (like many say they will), and maybe Murray and URI are really bad FCS teams this year.

We will find out a lot more on this front as the weekend plays out. Tons of FCS/FBS matchups.

URI is permanent markered in for the CAA basement again this year. Towson should be a step or 2 above.

darell1976
September 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM

Some is an understatement...we have a lot of work to do. But we have tons of young players who will grow. Our QB Jake Landry is a D2 QB on a FCS team he is a senior and we will need new and better leadership on offense. UND is building for the future especially 2012 when we become playoff eligible. We are not trying to impress the pollsters during transition, but we cannot relax and let teams walk all over us.

wkelly42
September 3rd, 2010, 11:45 AM
I think a lot of FCS teams would have matched up well with the Vandals. Pre-season they were 133, just a notch above NDSU. The big difference in my mind is depth. ASU beat Mich. ASU had skill players every bit as good as Mich and overall the team was just as good in every phase of the game. I dont think ASU could have kept that up all season because of the depth issue.

Although you can get some really good matchups and thrilling games I dont think any FCS team could hang around for long even in the MAC.

One advantage that FBS has is the number of scholarships they can offer vs. FCS schools. Give a top-tier FCS program more scholarships to hand out, and the depth will be there. I agree, though, that the biggest difference between the top FCS schools and the bottom FBS schools is depth.

SIU_Phatty
September 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
I agree, though, that the biggest difference between the top FCS schools and the bottom FBS schools is depth.

Which is why many FBS-FCS matchups are decided in the second half, when the FCS school is exhausted. A lot of FCS schools can keep the game close for a couple of quarters, but the FBS teams always seem to pull away in the second half. When the FCS schools win, there's always a ton of guts and determination needed to earn that win.

doinit salukistyle
September 3rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Which is why many FBS-FCS matchups are decided in the second half, when the FCS school is exhausted. A lot of FCS schools can keep the game close for a couple of quarters, but the FBS teams always seem to pull away in the second half. When the FCS schools win, there's always a ton of guts and determination needed to earn that win.

Which is why our win against Northern Illinois was so impressive...we had our massive comeback in the second half. That should never happen.

darell1976
September 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Which is why our win against Northern Illinois was so impressive...we had our massive comeback in the second half. That should never happen.

Can we borrow your playbook. We have NIU next Saturday.xreadx

parr90
September 3rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
One advantage that FBS has is the number of scholarships they can offer vs. FCS schools. Give a top-tier FCS program more scholarships to hand out, and the depth will be there. I agree, though, that the biggest difference between the top FCS schools and the bottom FBS schools is depth.

Correct! And then there is a bit of overall talent. The big thing to me is confidence. When a team like say Richmond goes and plays Ohio State there is a talent difference but not as much as people think. Much of the talent at Richmond is as good just not as big or tall. When they go play Ohio state they believe, without saying, that they will lose. They just hope they will get out with a close game so they dont look bad. Turn the tables and wave a magic wand where you make all Richmonds players believe that they are as good as Ohio State and that they will win if they play their best, I promise the outcome would be different or closer. Most FCS teams have already lost before they take the field because they dont beleive they will win. Its mental. This is the biggest reason why App beat Michigan. They truly believed they would win if they played their best and they did. Its all in the mind for the most part. Sure talent and depth help but the BCS teams dont always get the best players in reality, they get the best players according to writers and peoples opinions. Much of it based on size, speed, athletic ability. These things dont always equate to a good football player.

heath
September 3rd, 2010, 03:26 PM
Idaho is far from lower level. They had a bunch of NFL scouts looking at their QB and they have a lot of speed on their team, and I believe they could challenge BSU in the WAC. After being the WAC's doormat they have really turned that team around.
Darell, think they looked fast because of the competition,maybe? Idaho is much closer to the bottom than the top when talking about how good they are.

glsjunior
September 3rd, 2010, 03:33 PM
Honestly I think that the CAA could beat the Sunbelt head to head.

Mid-Atlantic
September 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
if you ranked the FBS teams 1-120 where would Idaho rank?

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
Honestly I think that the CAA could beat the Sunbelt head to head.

The Southland has a head-to-head advantage against the SlumBelch conference in games between the two. And, to be honest, most of the SunBelt is populated by former SLC members. I think the App States, Elons and Ga. Southerns over in the SoCon would do well against them, too, as would the upper teams in the CAA.

You'd think that UL-Monroe and UL-LaughedAt would have gotten better over the years with the scholarship advantage. But, that's not the case. North Texas hasn't exactly set the world on fire, either...Troy's not done too bad...

heath
September 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
if you ranked the FBS teams 1-120 where would Idaho rank?

CBSsports ranked them #66, with SOS at 119, personally I'd have them lower, probably around #75 (cbssports.com/collegefootball/polls)

darell1976
September 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
CBSsports ranked them #66, with SOS at 119, personally I'd have them lower, probably around #75 (cbssports.com/collegefootball/polls)

66 is about right. I would say they are in the middle 60-70 or so. Not a top 25 and not towards the bottom. They have come a long way. Of course it would suck if they end up with 1 win this year.

CAAisBOSS
September 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM

xsmhxxnonono2xxlolx... not sure which one is appropriate. idaho???xconfusedx

glsjunior
September 3rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
The Southland has a head-to-head advantage against the SlumBelch conference in games between the two. And, to be honest, most of the SunBelt is populated by former SLC members. I think the App States, Elons and Ga. Southerns over in the SoCon would do well against them, too, as would the upper teams in the CAA.

You'd think that UL-Monroe and UL-LaughedAt would have gotten better over the years with the scholarship advantage. But, that's not the case. North Texas hasn't exactly set the world on fire, either...Troy's not done too bad...

I think Troy and MTSU is the only thing keeping that conference afloat. Thats why I laugh when some of our fans want to return to the conference we helped found. I'd much rather play in the CAA and go to the playoffs rather than go to the Sunbelt and maybe play in some Little Caesars Bowl on December 10th.

grizpsych
September 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
I was at the Kent State/Murray state game (BA from Montana, MA and hopefully PhD from KSU) and to tell you the truth, compared to Montana, I have seen better high school football games (and I wen to Sentinel high school in Missoula, in the mid 90s). First, TDs were due to large gains because of blown coverages. Second, KSU, whom has 20+ more scholarships and a running back that could play on Sundays (Jarvis), could not run the ball against Murray State, I think the longest run was 6 yards. Plus, KSU is supposed to finish in the top of the MAC because they have many returning starters. So, if this ends up being true, FBS (at least the MAC) is less than the CAA, Big Sky, SoCon, and Big West. I would guess that the these FCS conferences would be on par with the WAC (2010) and the MVC. Of course this is just after one game this year.

proasu89
September 3rd, 2010, 11:03 PM
I believe the majority of FBS teams (i.e. majority of our pre-Ivy foes) are two or three notches higher than where the Ivy League teams currently stand now. xsmhx (Case in point: Princeton-The Citadel, this proves that playoff-participating teams are I guess a notch higher than the Ivies.)

Very liberal use of the term playoff participating. Last trip was 93 I believe. More accurate would be not mathmatically eliminated yet teamxlolx