September 2nd, 2010, 10:45 PM
Attendance for GSU-Shorter.

GSU wins 41-7.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state-fans-enjoy-605925.html
http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-notebook-605860.html
http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-wins-first-605841.html

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 10:49 PM
Top 10 coaches poll ranking next week for sure, if not No. 1.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 2nd, 2010, 10:56 PM
Top 10 coaches poll ranking next week for sure, if not No. 1.xblahblahxxrolleyesx

jweaver
September 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
haters!

GA St. MBB Fan
September 2nd, 2010, 11:15 PM
GSU outdraws the Braves: http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/09/02/a-boffo-opening-night-for-georgia-state-football-and-its-fans/

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 11:22 PM
N.L. Pennant too then, I guess. Talk about multitasking.

jweaver
September 2nd, 2010, 11:24 PM
again with it...

GA St. MBB Fan
September 2nd, 2010, 11:27 PM
N.L. Pennant too then, I guess. Talk about multitasking.

xblahblahxxrolleyesx

Hammer22
September 2nd, 2010, 11:28 PM
Give us our props! We did what people said we couldn't. I remember reading countless post about how we won't draw more than 10,000. We outdrew the Braves who are in a tight playoff race.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 11:32 PM
Give us our props!

Fine, then. Super Bowl.

jweaver
September 2nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
outrageous megahater. it happened, acknowledge our moment in the sun.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 11:36 PM
acknowledge our moment in the sun.

Can't do that in a dome.

jweaver
September 2nd, 2010, 11:37 PM
under the lights, on the gridiron, you pick the metaphor. it still happened. all of your hating is not going to make that change...

ElonFirefighter
September 2nd, 2010, 11:38 PM
i bet half the fans were mad when they realized it wasn't a Falcon preseason game

jweaver
September 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM
the best part was when they were wearing blue.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
you pick the metaphor.

You don't really want me to do that.

jweaver
September 2nd, 2010, 11:44 PM
if i say go, 30 K, 41-7 still doesn't change, so have fun...

Hammer22
September 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
i bet half the fans were mad when they realized it wasn't a Falcon preseason game

And so it begins.

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 12:02 AM
Never ended, but who cares. A couple more home dates like tonight and we wont have to worry about short man syndrome anymore, LMAO

And so it begins.

beanburrito
September 3rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
I hope Georgia State keeps it up, but I have a very hard time seeing it happening. I suspect the crowd will be about half the 30K, or a little less, for the next game.

bjtheflamesfan
September 3rd, 2010, 12:38 AM
Look yall...the Panthers are to be lauded for a fine inaugural game...no need to rain on their parade...now if yall cant be civil I'll hand all of ya warnings

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM
Look yall...the Panthers are to be lauded for a fine inaugural game...no need to rain on their parade...now if yall cant be civil I'll hand all of ya warnings

I don't have a dog in this hunt, since I haven't posted on this thread, but doesn't a discussion where one group obnoxiously DEMANDS their props belong in SMACK?

Warn me if you must, but....just sayin' ;)

NHwildEcat
September 3rd, 2010, 05:38 AM
It is great that Ga St. drew so well last night. Congrats to all the fans and alums of that team, looks like you got off to a good start. Who ya got next?

whitey
September 3rd, 2010, 07:15 AM
I don't have a dog in this hunt, since I haven't posted on this thread, but doesn't a discussion where one group obnoxiously DEMANDS their props belong in SMACK?

I don't think so. People have been crapping over Georgia State on internet messages boards ever since they announced they were starting football. 30k+ for their first game deserves to be recognized. Congrats to you guys down there in Atlanta.

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
I don't think so. People have been crapping over Georgia State on internet messages boards ever since they announced they were starting football. 30k+ for their first game deserves to be recognized. Congrats to you guys down there in Atlanta.

I'm forced to disagree. Most of what you see as "crapping over Georgia Sate" is merely responding in kind.

JMUNJ08
September 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Now my 1 questions is did 30K + show up??? Most schools (we all know who we are) over inflate based on season tickets/give aways/ faculty, etc and that number doesn't really show. Still, even if 20K showed up its a good start. The marketing campaign I have heard from these boards was pretty intense for game 1. Will it be for the future or do you guys think you can sustain 30K from here on out once GT and UGA start?

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM

I agree with that. They drew 30k to the game and won big in their first outing. They have a lot to cheer about today.

However, the real challenge will be to sustain the excitement going forward. They put forth a tremendous marketing effort for the first game and it worked. We shall see if it continues to work.

As for the game Georgia State played well, but Shorter was really terrible. Their O-linemen looked like they were all about 5' 10" and chunky. It was an appropiate opponent for a first game, but they will be welcomed to the FCS soon enough by Jax State.

whitey
September 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
I'm forced to disagree. Most of what you see as "crapping over Georgia Sate" is merely responding in kind.

meh. The internet hate machine was all over Ga. State from the beginning. Yeah, I'm sure they had a few terrible posters who deserved it, but what school doesn't? You can't fault them them for being excited about their new program.

SideLine Shooter
September 3rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
Give us our props! We did what people said we couldn't. I remember reading countless post about how we won't draw more than 10,000. We outdrew the Braves who are in a tight playoff race.

Wow, that's more than the Falcons draw. You are THE BEST.

AppChicago
September 3rd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Props on the 30k+. I mean that. It's an amazing accomplishment that so many schools can't muster, and I hope it keeps up.

However, looking for props for beating an NAIA team 41-7.... That's where we see that it's early times for you, yet. Celebrate the support, but accrue some quality wins before you start crowing about your prowess.

EmeryZach
September 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
Congrats to the GSU marketing staff.

EmeryZach
September 3rd, 2010, 08:46 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs634.snc4/59441_855885237052_9105297_46633814_2366496_n.jpg

That is a pretty darn good turnout.

SalukiJim
September 3rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
Congrats to all involved. How did the team look?

JBB
September 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Great crowd. With crowds like that the FCS has to be a money maker. That must have been fun!

Redbird Ray
September 3rd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Nice job Georgia State! Gotta say that I'm jealous. The Falcons could only dream to one day have that many fans in the Georgia Dome.

appfan2008
September 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
pretty good lets see if it can continue

JMUNJ08
September 3rd, 2010, 09:51 AM
http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/09/02/a-boffo-opening-night-for-georgia-state-football-and-its-fans/

11K students is pretty impressive and they look hungry!

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=53624&SPID=5671&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=12700&PALBID=379627

More pictures from the GA St. site

steelbison
September 3rd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Question, are you building a new stadium? Or playing all your games in the GD?

Congrats on the huge turn-out! How long do you think coack Curry will be there?

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
They are playing at the dome for the near future.

I doubt Curry will be there more than 3 or 4 years. He is really more ambassador to the program and CMO anyway. Not a bad thing, but that appears to be the set-up.

EmeryZach
September 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
I'd say they probably get their own stadium in about 6 years.

SouthernEagle02
September 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'd say they probably get their own stadium in about 6 years.

No real estate. At least none open in any desirable areas of Atlanta that is.

SalukiGrad
September 3rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Georgia State to the SEC in 2012. I'm calling it. xsmiley_wix

SaintDK10
September 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Why in the world would we play elsewhere when we have a world class facility that's practically on campus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjCjcfjgIU

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but I thought you guys said the lower bowl held 25k. Looks like a lot of empties in that video.

SaintDK10
September 3rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
Not to rain on your parade, but I thought you guys said the lower bowl held 25k. Looks like a lot of empties in that video.

The lower bowl holds 28,000 and was completely sold out. The overflow fans were seated in the upper bowl above the student section, which you can see in the video. This video was taken while the fans were getting back to their seats after half time.

glsjunior
September 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM
The lower bowl was totally filled and they had some over flow in the upper deck endzone.

Retro
September 3rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
That's a very nice debut for a new program, in the georgia dome in atlanta!

That being said, it will be interesting to see how the crowd tails off throughout the season playing lackluster/unknown opponents and the newness wears off. Georiga State has gotten a lot of publicity, more than normal, for a new football program and i'm sure that all helped in peaking people's interest.. Nearly every FCS starts off with a big crowd in their first game at home and only the one's that have quality opponents and win usually maintain good attendance througout the year..

Outside of that, i think it's best for the Georgia State fans on here to take a piece of humble pie now before it get's thrown in your face. Some have come on here with very arrogant and uneducated statements considering they have a long way to go before they play a consistently tough FCS schedule and prove themselves as a big draw weekly.... You've gotten off on the right foot, now can you keep your balance and make forward strides?

SaintDK10
September 3rd, 2010, 11:08 AM
That's a very nice debut for a new program, in the georgia dome in atlanta!

That being said, it will be interesting to see how the crowd tails off throughout the season playing lackluster/unknown opponents and the newness wears off. Georiga State has gotten a lot of publicity, more than normal, for a new football program and i'm sure that all helped in peaking people's interest.. Nearly every FCS starts off with a big crowd in their first game at home and only the one's that have quality opponents and win usually maintain good attendance througout the year..

Outside of that, i think it's best for the Georgia State fans on here to take a piece of humble pie now before it get's thrown in your face. Some have come on here with very arrogant and uneducated statements considering they have a long way to go before they play a consistently tough FCS schedule and prove themselves as a big draw weekly.... You've gotten off on the right foot, now can you keep your balance and make forward strides?
Trust me, our fans echo the same concerns you've just outlined. Five thousand season tickets is decent, I guess, for a start-up FCS team, but in retrospect, we'll need to convert at least 5,000 fans from last night into season ticket holders to match the likes of ODU, Delaware, App State, Montana, etc. in terms of attendance. The good news is that out 30,000 in attendance last night, 11,000 of them were students, and they were pretty **** loud. That's a good student turnout on any level.

Baldy
September 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Congrats.

Heard from a few eyewitnesses that there were A LOT of people there in UNC and LSU gear since those two teams will be playing in the Dome tomorrow night. Will also be curious to see how many show up on a Saturday when UGA and Tech have games.

seantaylor
September 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Georgia Dome a world class facility? It is the biggest POS in the NFL.

PantherRob82
September 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
The lower bowl holds 28,000 and was completely sold out. The overflow fans were seated in the upper bowl above the student section, which you can see in the video. This video was taken while the fans were getting back to their seats after half time.

Fair enough. I'm assuming the empty block behind the band wasn't filled? Still, that makes sense now.

Longhorn
September 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
How long do you think coack Curry will be there?

The man is in his mid-60s...unless he's gonna pull another Paterno you'd have to think 4-6 years tops.

SaintDK10
September 3rd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Georgia Dome a world class facility? It is the biggest POS in the NFL.

This is coming from a guy whose team plays in a stadium that is below par of what most Metro Atlanta high schools have.

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Trust me, our fans echo the same concerns you've just outlined. Five thousand season tickets is decent, I guess, for a start-up FCS team, but in retrospect, we'll need to convert at least 5,000 fans from last night into season ticket holders to match the likes of ODU, Delaware, App State, Montana, etc. in terms of attendance. The good news is that out 30,000 in attendance last night, 11,000 of them were students, and they were pretty **** loud. That's a good student turnout on any level.

Saint-- I read the comments on your board by yourself and Panama et all and I will say you guys gave a very reasonable assesment of the first game. You had a very nice crowd of 30,000 and beat Shorter up just like you were supposed to do. The first game went pretty much just as scripted from an attendance and performance standpoint and I am sue everyone associated with the program is happy and exited about the first outing. It will be interesting to see what kind of attendance and student interest will remain moviing forward through the season, and if 20k plus crowds will be the norm.

Also everyone understands that Shorter is a poor team and the level of competition will increase rapidly. It will be intersting to see how good this young team really is when they face off against teams with good athletes in a few weeks.

SouthernEagle02
September 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
This is coming from a guy whose team plays in a stadium that is below par of what most Metro Atlanta high schools have.

And you wonder why everyone is giving GaSt crap & you get zero respect. Of course the Dome is going to be better than 100% of the FCS stadiums. Why is that? Because its used by an NFL team, NCAA Final Four events, soccer, concerts and others. Face it, if Ga St were located anywhere other than Atlanta, it would be using facilities as you would say that are "below par of what most Metro Atlanta high schools have." But least you forget Arthur Blank himself has come out and said the Dome needs replacing as have others in the Atlanta area. So obviously it is not only seantaylor who believes the Dome is a dump. I am sorry though. Sorry that the Dome will never be able to replicate the game day experience one gets at Paulson on a Saturday afternoon.

SaintDK10
September 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
And you wonder why everyone is giving GaSt crap & you get zero respect. Of course the Dome is going to be better than 100% of the FCS stadiums. Why is that? Because its used by an NFL team, NCAA Final Four events, soccer, concerts and others. Face it, if Ga St were located anywhere other than Atlanta, it would be using facilities as you would say that are "below par of what most Metro Atlanta high schools have." But least you forget Arthur Blank himself has come out and said the Dome needs replacing as have others in the Atlanta area. So obviously it is not only seantaylor who believes the Dome is a dump. I am sorry though. Sorry that the Dome will never be able to replicate the game day experience one gets at Paulson on a Saturday afternoon.
Maybe your fellow Southern fan should not be calling a facility that hosts "NCAA Final Four events, soccer, concerts and others" a dump then. And did you just seriously tout Paulson's game day experience after we put 30,000 fans in the lower bowl of the Dome? There were 11,000 students in there. That's about 5K shy from Southern's entire undergraduate student body. Please, save it for the birds.

Franks Tanks
September 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM

That is completely false. Please show me a picture of one high school stadium that is an nice as Southern's.

SouthernEagle02
September 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Maybe your fellow Southern fan should not be calling a facility that hosts "NCAA Final Four events, soccer, concerts and others" a dump then. And did you just seriously tout Paulson's game day experience after we put 30,000 fans in the lower bowl of the Dome? There were 11,000 students in there. That's about 5K shy from Southern's entire undergraduate student body. Please, save it for the birds.
I sure did tout it. But you shouldn't speak to things you haven't experienced. And so what if there were 30k there? Not going to slam it. Its a good number for a first game of a new program. And with 30k students, I'd hope there be at least of third of them there. But lets see if that holds up the remainder of the season and not just on a Thursday where the only other competing event is a Braves games (who by the way never really draw well during the week). And the Dome is only marginally better now since Blank single handedly paid for the renovation. But whatever. Enjoy the win. Enjoy playing in a facility that will never be GaSt's.

Hammer22
September 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Congrats.

Heard from a few eyewitnesses that there were A LOT of people there in UNC and LSU gear since those two teams will be playing in the Dome tomorrow night. Will also be curious to see how many show up on a Saturday when UGA and Tech have games.

I must've missed that A LOT. I didn't see anyone in that gear. Maybe it was just me, others there can give their view on that. But, this is from a Southern fan, so I'm naturally skeptic as I was actually there.

Hammer22
September 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
I sure did tout it. But you shouldn't speak to things you haven't experienced. And so what if there were 30k there? Not going to slam it. Its a good number for a first game of a new program. And with 30k students, I'd hope there be at least of third of them there. But lets see if that holds up the remainder of the season and not just on a Thursday where the only other competing event is a Braves games (who by the way never really draw well during the week). And the Dome is only marginally better now since Blank single handedly paid for the renovation. But whatever. Enjoy the win. Enjoy playing in a facility that will never be GaSt's.

Look at the undertones of bitterness all throughout this post.

MplsBison
September 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
I assume GSU is not long for the FCS - assuming an FBS conference will invite you up (new NCAA rules).

Then, how are the long term dynamics going to work with GA Tech right next door? If it was just UGA and GSoU that you had to compete with in the state, you could always market yourself as the "in city" option for big time college football. Sort've like how USF or UCF can market themselves to the people of Tampa and Orlando, if they don't want to make the trip up north to UF or FSU. But GA Tech is right there!

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
did you just seriously tout Paulson's game day experience after we put 30,000 fans in the lower bowl of the Dome?

The game day experience at Paulson is pretty good. For comparison purposes, I thought this gem by an AJC writer was spot on:

Georgia State fans enjoy Panthers' first football game
By Pierce W. Huff

For the AJC

The atmosphere in the Georgia Dome was laid back with a tinge of sporadic excitement from the student section, which included some fans who before the game acted uncertain as to whether to do the wave, so they chanted “G-S-U! G-S-U!” and cheered and waved thunder sticks at the appropriate moments.

The sight outside consisted of groups of people wearing their Georgia State T-shirts and hats, who trickled into the stadium with all of the enthusiasm of having just purchased tickets to the movies.

OK, so the people at Georgia and Georgia Tech have little to worry about yet when it comes to creating that special college-football feeling

Earth to Elated Georgia Sate fans.....

The Game Day Experience is about more than mere numbers of fans. Congrats on a great opening act. Let's see where you're at when the season's over ;)

SaintDK10
September 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
Here are some of the videos my buddy took. I'd say this is pretty good college football atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85pVf8pd6Ok&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmgPcZNg9O0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8dbyISFZQ0&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg-S85wY3tk&feature=player_embedded

Hammer22
September 3rd, 2010, 12:54 PM
The game day experience at Paulson is pretty good. For comparison purposes, I thought this gem by an AJC writer was spot on:

Georgia State fans enjoy Panthers' first football game
By Pierce W. Huff

For the AJC

The atmosphere in the Georgia Dome was laid back with a tinge of sporadic excitement from the student section, which included some fans who before the game acted uncertain as to whether to do the wave, so they chanted “G-S-U! G-S-U!” and cheered and waved thunder sticks at the appropriate moments.

The sight outside consisted of groups of people wearing their Georgia State T-shirts and hats, who trickled into the stadium with all of the enthusiasm of having just purchased tickets to the movies.

OK, so the people at Georgia and Georgia Tech have little to worry about yet when it comes to creating that special college-football feeling

Earth to Elated Georgia Sate fans.....

The Game Day Experience is about more than mere numbers of fans. Congrats on a great opening act. Let's see where you're at when the season's over ;)

WOW!!!!!! You let one person's opinion speak for everyone's elses feelings and opinion WOW!!!!!!!

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
I am happy about the attendance and happy we won but we have some issues and kinks to work out before this schedule starts getting much tougher in 2 weeks.

Props on the 30k+. I mean that. It's an amazing accomplishment that so many schools can't muster, and I hope it keeps up.

However, looking for props for beating an NAIA team 41-7.... That's where we see that it's early times for you, yet. Celebrate the support, but accrue some quality wins before you start crowing about your prowess.

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM
We have quite a few haters on the AJC sports staff aka ugAJC. Look I have been to college football games for years. The tailgating experience yesterday was was just as good if not better than Tech's. I was told tha we couldnt get into the Brown Lot until 4 hours before the game. Went by at 2:15 to get my parking pass and people were already setting up. So I quickly set up my tent at 2:30. By 4:30 it looked like any other college game day tailgate crowd. Was a great great GREAT day. Hey I only had to wait 23 years for it.

WOW!!!!!! You let one person's opinion speak for everyone's elses feelings and opinion WOW!!!!!!!

GAD
September 3rd, 2010, 01:11 PM
Congrats Panthers, 30k+ on a Thursday nite thats impresive

As you can already tell there are a ton of haters on this board, (believe me I know) many of them have never had 30k and they never will but they want to knock you guys great job

SouthernEagle02
September 3rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Look at the undertones of bitterness all throughout this post.
Bitter about what? I've got nothing to be bitter or jealous about when it comes to GaSt. Only time I get bitter is when we lose to App St.

eaglewraith
September 3rd, 2010, 01:27 PM

Cluepon genius, we've already put 11k students in the stands. You haven't impressed me with that. I will say I am impressed you had that much of a turnout. You just need to see if it stays at that level. Everyone is interested in something that's new and shiny, and they want to see what it is. Some of that shine is going to get rubbed off when you start playing real teams. The true indicator is how many stick around.

Also, we may not have as many people in the stands as you, but I can guarantee you we have a more rabid fan base. Ask anyone who's ever walked the hallowed ground of Paulson Stadium. We've had a rocky go of it here lately, but many will tell you they hate how hard it is to play in our stadium because of the fans. We have people that start tailgating on Thursday afternoon and don't stop till Sunday night. We have very dedicated and truly hardcore fans, many who have been involved with the program since it started. You have a long way to go to duplicate that environment.

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2010, 01:27 PM

You find fault with an objective opinion rendered by a professional? ;) Weren't Georgia Sate posters crowing about the AJC's excellent coverage of Georgia Sate football just a week ago?

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 02:00 PM
It wasnt objective. That's what we're talking about. You still have some Dawgs working there that make sure that that paper keeps an Athens football leaning. But things are changing.

You find fault with an objective opinion rendered by a professional? ;) Weren't Georgia Sate posters crowing about the AJC's excellent coverage of Georgia Sate football just a week ago?

Baldy
September 3rd, 2010, 02:12 PM
xlolx

When an Atlanta area high school (or GA State, whichever comes first) builds a stadium with 18,000 seat capacity, 26 private boxes, and a 14,000 square foot field house complete with meting spaces, locker rooms, and a hospitality area, please let us know. xwhistlex

SouthernEagle02
September 3rd, 2010, 02:18 PM
It wasnt objective. That's what we're talking about. You still have some Dawgs working there that make sure that that paper keeps an Athens football leaning. But things are changing.
Seriously, I doubt that will ever change. As much as I want it to, UGA will always be the most talked about and covered football program in Atlanta & the rest of the state.

SuperEagle
September 3rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Why would he not be objective? He's the Ga. State beat writer. What incentive would have not to tell it like it is? He has no affiliation with uga. He went to Clark Atlanta University and spent the last 16 yrs working in New Orleans. He has only been on the ajc staff for 9 months. He is probably the most objective writer the paper has. His article was objective rather you like it or not. I'm guessing if he would have said it was the best gameday atmosphere he has ever experienced you would have no problem with it.
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/pierce-w-huff/11/a45/27a

parr90
September 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM

30,000 is great but they have been getting crap'd on because their fans have been on all the boards acting like they are the next coming. They beat Lamboth for god sakes.

bandit
September 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Very impressive showing by Georgia State!! You guys should be very proud. Now the hard part - - keep it up!

RabidRabbit
September 3rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
Congrats to Ga St on a GREAT start. Thanks for sharing the vids.

I would like to remind all who share here about this success, to follow my mascot (Thumper) rules. If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.

heath
September 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
"we are playing a very good Shorter team,if you haven't seen Shorter, go watch Georgia Tech,thats how they play, and they have the advantage of playing a game before us.( a 37-7 loss to another great team called West Alabama, which gave Shorter, a shorter week to prepare for the pussycats),they are fast and very well drilled."-Bill Curry
Wow, 30,000(including all the free tix givaways) saw a 1st year team that would beat the heck out of Geargia Tech too. The 2nd year program of ODU will crush GSU,so enjoy the first 7 games against ????????????????with 6 home games, then buckle up for the trip to Norfolk. By then, Curry might be back to earth.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 3rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Um...before we play ODU in Norfolk...we have Jacksonville State...a preseason ranked team...so yeah...we're not even worried about ODU...we're focused on Lambuth (NCAA D-II Top 25 school) and Jacksonville State...among others before we get to ODU.

Are people even looking at our schedule when they make comments like the one above? I keep hearing this sentiment that they better watch out for ODU and USA...when ODU and USA aren't even the toughest opponents on our schedule.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Wow, 30,000(including all the free tix givaways)

Free tix giveways? What are you talking about?

heath
September 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Um...before we play ODU in Norfolk...we have Jacksonville State...a preseason ranked team...so yeah...we're not even worried about ODU...we're focused on Lambuth (NCAA D-II Top 25 school) and Jacksonville State...among others before we get to ODU.

Are people even looking at our schedule when they make comments like the one above? I keep hearing this sentiment that they better watch out for ODU and USA...when ODU and USA aren't even the toughest opponents on our schedule.

Sorry, no disrespect when I failed to mention the D-II schools. And you were right when you said ODU wasn't the toughest game on your schedule, forgot about your last game, at least Alabama can rest their starters heading into their showdown with Auburn, and still run the score up. BTW, ODU went 4-0 against common opponents on your schedule this year...........Buckle up!

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Free tickets? Errr...there were no free tickets.

"we are playing a very good Shorter team,if you haven't seen Shorter, go watch Georgia Tech,thats how they play, and they have the advantage of playing a game before us.( a 37-7 loss to another great team called West Alabama, which gave Shorter, a shorter week to prepare for the pussycats),they are fast and very well drilled."-Bill Curry
Wow, 30,000(including all the free tix givaways) saw a 1st year team that would beat the heck out of Geargia Tech too. The 2nd year program of ODU will crush GSU,so enjoy the first 7 games against ????????????????with 6 home games, then buckle up for the trip to Norfolk. By then, Curry might be back to earth.

Hammer22
September 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
For those who think GSU gave away tickets you are WRONG. The 11k students that showed up paid for theirs through their student fees and the companion tickets of the student tickets that most people are probably talking about cost $10 each.

So, where are these free tickets ideas coming from? We put 30k butts in the Dome fair and square. Why can't people just accept it.

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM
For what its worth here are the Sagarin Rankings of our opponents minus Shorter and Lambuth obviously.

Jacksonville State 143
Campbell 242
Morehead State 234
Savannah State 240
North Carolina Central 231
Old Dominion 197
South Alabama 245
Lamar 244
Alabama 3

GA St. MBB Fan
September 3rd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Sorry, no disrespect when I failed to mention the D-II schools. And you were right when you said ODU wasn't the toughest game on your schedule, forgot about your last game, at least Alabama can rest their starters heading into their showdown with Auburn, and still run the score up. BTW, ODU went 4-0 against common opponents on your schedule this year...........Buckle up!

Besides Lambuth and Shorter what non-NCAA Division I schools are you talking about?....do you forget that ODU also played 2 non-NCAA Division I schools in their first year as well?

4-0 against common opponents? You played 3 - not 4 of the schools we are playing....we are playing Jacksonville STATE from the Ohio Valley Conference!...not Jacksonville from the Pioneer Conference!

I wasn't even talking about the BCS National Champion...that game was obvious...I was talking about the Preseason Top 25 FCS school Jacksonville STATE University that we have on our schedule as our 3rd opponent of the year.

SaintDK10
September 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Hahaha! Free tickets?! I swear, the stuff people make up is just hilarious. The only free tickets were those given to a few family members of each player. Other than that, GSU sold 19,000 tickets for the first game. The university made bank off of this game.

ChooChoo
September 3rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Last night was an amazing experience. For the record, the student section was loud and into the game. BIG Plus kids! I walked around for an hour before the game and did not see a single LSU or UNC color or jersey in the crowd. NONE. Period. Also, there was every bit the 30+k reported. It was electric! And like most of you have said, the biggest issue will be keeping the momentum going after the big debut. I'm not going to compare ourselves to Southern, we're not there yet in my opinion. Our gamedays will always be different no matter what you or we do. Each campus I've tailgated at has a unique vibe and atmosphere. Downtown Atlanta is not like Midtown Atlanta, Athens, Statesboro, or anywhere else. Having been to many Falcons games I'm accustomed to it and love it. To each his own. However, the Dome is no dump and it is our home as much as it is the Falcons now. We both pay the Georgia World Congress Center rent for use of the facility and have been welcomed in to the family. How can anyone say its a dump? Are you serious? Parking decks, tailgating lots, marta rail service, shuttle bus service, climate control at 72degrees day or night, rain or shine, dozens of restrooms, food options, BEER sold during the game, amazing sight lines, TV monitors at every angle, two HUGE jumbotrons, new (and roomier) seats all over looking the best synthetic playing service that money can buy and you think its a dump? Really? Different strokes and all that but its not a dump. Far from it. The SEC wouldnt hold their Championship game in the place if it was.

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
And USA's

Pikeville NAIA
Nicholls State 186
Edward Waters NAIA
Kentucky Wesleyan Division II
Missouri S&T Division II
Lamar 244
UC Davis 148
Georgia State 243
Lamar 244
Henderson State Div II
Arkansas-Monticello Div II

For what its worth here are the Sagarin Rankings of our opponents minus Shorter and Lambuth obviously.

Jacksonville State 143
Campbell 242
Morehead State 234
Savannah State 240
North Carolina Central 231
Old Dominion 197
South Alabama 245
Lamar 244
Alabama 3

glsjunior
September 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
Dude all I know it feels much better to defend a 30K showing then trying to defend a 10k one.

panama
September 3rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
..and ODU

Jacksonville 216
Campbell 242
William & Mary 81
Monmouth 202
Gardner Webb 191
Call Poly 131
Georgia State 243
Savannah State 240
VMI 210
Presbyterian 217

And USA's

Pikeville NAIA
Nicholls State 186
Edward Waters NAIA
Kentucky Wesleyan Division II
Missouri S&T Division II
Lamar 244
UC Davis 148
Georgia State 243
Lamar 244
Henderson State Div II
Arkansas-Monticello Div II

FormerPokeCenter
September 3rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
For what its worth here are the Sagarin Rankings of our opponents

Sagarin ratings aren't worth the paper they're printed on until the 4th week of the season....What you've got there is a highly subjective ranking based on previous seasons. At one point, Sagarin had Lamar ranked 131, because the computer simply looks at the most recent resullts against opponents, and then looks at the opponents most recent results....so....Lamar's ranking was originally based on how Lamar's 1989 opponents did last year...That year, Lamar just happened to beat McNeese and UTEP, then played Stephen F Austin, Sam Houston plus SunBelt Members USL and Arkansas State...

They had to manually intervene and rate them like they did you...

The point is that until you get to week four, where there are enough head to head games against common opponents to rank them, what you're looking at it garbage....

Still, your schedule has a good mix.

GA St. MBB Fan
September 3rd, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hahaha! Free tickets?! I swear, the stuff people make up is just hilarious. The only free tickets were those given to a few family members of each player.

Which aren't we required by the NCAA to do?

The Cats
September 3rd, 2010, 07:57 PM
Attendance for GSU-Shorter.

GSU wins 41-7.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state-fans-enjoy-605925.html
http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-notebook-605860.html
http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-state/georgia-state-wins-first-605841.html

Congrats on the opening night attendance. For whatever reasons, that was an outstanding turn out.

bullseye44
September 3rd, 2010, 08:55 PM
Congrats guys! Excited to have another nice venue to see the Tribe play in 2 years from now.

Cat79
September 4th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Congrats on achieving 30,237 in attendance!! Good luck to your team the rest of the season

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2010, 08:02 AM
outdrew the Braves you say....whoop te do.....the Braves have never drawn well in September and attendance has been on the decline for years

caribbeanhen
September 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I hope Georgia State keeps it up, but I have a very hard time seeing it happening. I suspect the crowd will be about half the 30K, or a little less, for the next game.

I agree, I'll say 10 K tops, if not I'll eat at Taco Bellxlolx

OL FU
September 4th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Welcome to Football and congrats on the attendance.

EmeryZach
September 4th, 2010, 09:20 AM
outdrew the Braves you say....whoop te do.....the Braves have never drawn well in September and attendance has been on the decline for years

Why are you hating on GSU? It is very impressive to get that many people to come out for the game.