PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette Stadium Still On Hold

carney2
January 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
A number of us at this site were pointing to this weekend (January 21 - 22) as the time when the long anticipated and as yet unrealized announcement of renovations to Fisher Field would be announced. This was to be the key date because of home basketball vs. Lehigh and a number of other converging events. The weekend will soon be a memory and still we wait. No lights. No 20th (let alone 21st) century plumbing. No field house. No state of the art scoreboard. No press box worth the name. No seats that you would trust with a family member's fanny - or life. No turf grass or whatever it's called.

Does anyone have a new and revised target date for this announcement? 2007? 2012? After settlement of the sure and certain lawsuit to be filed by someone seriously injured after stepping on one of those rotted out wooden slats that have passed for seats during the past 75 seasons? Any news? Any rumors? Any truth to the rumor that (AD) Bruce McCutcheon is taking up a collection for grass seed to get through 2006?

(By the way, the first "you can take it to the bank" date set for the announcement of these renovations was the week before the Lehigh game - 2004!)

Ivytalk
January 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM
A number of us at this site were pointing to this weekend (January 21 - 22) as the time when the long anticipated and as yet unrealized announcement of renovations to Fisher Field would be announced. This was to be the key date because of home basketball vs. Lehigh and a number of other converging events. The weekend will soon be a memory and still we wait. No lights. No 20th (let alone 21st) century plumbing. No field house. No state of the art scoreboard. No press box worth the name. No seats that you would trust with a family member's fanny - or life. No turf grass or whatever it's called.

Does anyone have a new and revised target date for this announcement? 2007? 2012? After settlement of the sure and certain lawsuit to be filed by someone seriously injured after stepping on one of those rotted out wooden slats that have passed for seats during the past 75 seasons? Any news? Any rumors? Any truth to the rumor that (AD) Bruce McCutcheon is taking up a collection for grass seed to get through 2006?

(By the way, the first "you can take it to the bank" date set for the announcement of these renovations was the week before the Lehigh game - 2004!)

If you don't fix it fast, Fisher Field will soon resemble Columbia's horrendous old Baker Field, which I remember all too well. And that won't help recruiting!

Lehigh Football Nation
January 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM
:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

PLEASE let's get this creaky old edifice fixed! I don't care if alumni have to do it in the dead of night!

Pard4Life
January 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

I found myself chuckling at lafalum's (i think it was his) assertion that this was the weekend of the announcement.. now I'm just xlolx . Like I said on our board, this announcement, and scholarships, is comparable how people predict the end of the world each year... the assumed date always comes and goes, a new comes about, that goes by uneventfuly.. it will happen one day, but any guess is as good as the other... who knows the end might come before the stadium... taking bets anyone?

Pard4Life
January 22nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

PLEASE let's get this creaky old edifice fixed! I don't care if alumni have to do it in the dead of night!

I almost started demolition yesterday... the brother and I were contemplating venting the Lehigh loss by ripping out the ol' wood benches and getting the project a kick in the pants.

ngineer
January 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
I found myself chuckling at lafalum's (i think it was his) assertion that this was the weekend of the announcement.. now I'm just xlolx . Like I said on our board, this announcement, and scholarships, is comparable how people predict the end of the world each year... the assumed date always comes and goes, a new comes about, that goes by uneventfuly.. it will happen one day, but any guess is as good as the other... who knows the end might come before the stadium... taking bets anyone?

I remember when I was being recruited at Lehigh and they talked about their plans for the 'new' stadium to be placed in the natural bowl over in Saucon Valley. Their was an architect's model showing, what we see today as Goodman Stadium. However, I was recruited in 1969. Goodman opened for it's first game in 1988. :D Of course, no one promised us recruits this was going to happen anytime soon. Everyone understood the "Sugardaddy" was needed. As it was, I'm still nostalgic over Taylor. However, Taylor's problems were no where near those that Fisher currently faces. As one of your alums noted, someone, someday will fall on one of those rotted seats and sue the College. Maybe I'll drop a few business cards at next year's game ;)

Go...gate
January 22nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Baker Field analogy is a good one. Fisher is in a wonderful location but is in bad need of repair. Tough to wait too long - Princeton did this, Columbia as well, and new , not revovated, stadia were needed. OTOH, Harvard, Yale and Penn just met the deterioration in time and were able to preserve their ballparks.

Pards Rule
January 23rd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hmmmm...then will they move the start of the UPenn game from evening?

ngineer
January 23rd, 2006, 08:59 PM

Unless they move it to Cottingham Stadium (Easton School District). Great sight lines, seats about 8,000. ;)

carney2
January 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM

If we're lucky "they" will move it FROM the schedule.

carney2
January 23rd, 2006, 10:50 PM

They want to bump the gate with night games. This will be "Miner's Helmet Night."

Pard4Life
January 24th, 2006, 01:30 PM
If we're lucky "they" will move it FROM the schedule.

I haven't seen a schedule with times posted. That's not usually announced until spring ball.

Pards Rule
January 24th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm looking forward to playing UPenn!!

Pard4Life
January 24th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I'm looking forward to playing UPenn!!

Hey Pard, check out goleopards.com... it's finally here!!!

carney2
January 24th, 2006, 02:51 PM
DELETE THIS THREAD!!!!!

colgate13
January 24th, 2006, 03:11 PM
NICE!!!!! Something, finally, for my leopard brethern!!!! Scholarships are next my good friends, but enjoy this day!