PDA

View Full Version : Worst Case Scenario: No Classic for Grambling

TexasTerror
January 22nd, 2006, 07:46 AM
Just passing along what I came across in the Monroe News Star today. The columnist for the News Star is not afraid to bring up the worst case scenario for Grambling. That would in fact be a very devastating blow for the conference since Grambling-Southern is their marquee game and a blow for I-AA, especially since it seems ESPN is pretty interested in showing Grambling/Hampton on ESPN2, which is pretty neat for a regular season I-AA game. Wonder if it would be during some odd-ball night of the week?

We'll continue to follow the Grambling investigation, of course, it'll probably get real quiet and take some time before anything comes out of it...

Worst case: No Classic for GSU
NCAA ruling possibly could affect TV games
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — A cursory glance at the fallout from Grambling State's major NCAA infraction in 1978 reveals just how damaging the penalty can be.

GSU was restricted from postseason or television appearances from May 1978 to May 1979 after the NCAA Committee on Infractions found "improper administration of financial aid" as well as violations of "regulations governing the payment of recruiting expenses."

Back then, however, GSU's annual contest against Southern wasn't broadcast nationally by NBC.

Over the past 15 seasons, the game has grown not only into GSU's signature in-state rivalry but also into a cash cow that pushes upwards of $1 million into the school's coffers.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060122/SPORTS/601220343/1006