PDA

View Full Version : WAC Commish Comments on FCS Expansion

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Great job by the San Marcos Daily Record to land this interview with Karl Benson about TXST, UTSA and some of the other FCS options...

Q: In the next six months, the football season will have been completed and basketball would be entering its conference tournaments. What would you want to see out of potential candidates in the FCS such as Cal Poly, Texas State, Texas-San Antonio in those two sports to be able to present themselves as a viable option?

A: Obviously success is a factor. We want to make sure that any teams coming into the WAC are ready from a competitive standpoint to compete in the WAC and make the postseason. Those are things we definitely want to take into consideration.

Q: When you expand, would you be looking to add two teams from the same state for built-in travel partners, such as Cal Poly and San Jose State or Texas State and Texas-San Antonio or is it not important to have an in-state package deal?

A: Geography would be a strong consideration. With Louisiana Tech and Hawaii under the WAC umbrella, both California and Texas would be strong locations for the WAC to expand.

http://smdrcatscradle.blogspot.com/2010/09/college-athletics-interview-with-wac.html

Benson continues to link the expansion into Texas with Louisiana Tech. I think we all understand the reasoning why...

Today, he linked expansion into California with that of Hawaii. Is that the first time?

msusig
September 2nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
How are they going to fill at 28K stadium that fast? Texas State should break that expansion in half to see if they can even increase their ticket sales by that much.

TokyoGriz
September 2nd, 2010, 03:16 AM
Not much new info to be honest.

I would be suprised if LA Tech stays and Hawaii is still wild card with possibly going independent.

IMO the WAC would be better off if LA Tech goes to more regional conference. This would allow the WAC to focus on actual western schools.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
IMO the WAC would be better off if LA Tech goes to more regional conference. This would allow the WAC to focus on actual western schools.

I agree...

The TXST, UTSA folks think that La Tech is going to stick around. That or they just believe that as a package, they'll be too good to pass up for the WAC. With the economic situation out west, I can not see those schools wanting to add non-West Coast schools to the league. Why would Hawaii want to fly out to NM, TX or LA an additional time each year for football? And that does not even include the non-revenue sports.

SM_Bobcat
September 2nd, 2010, 10:26 AM
I agree...

The TXST, UTSA folks think that La Tech is going to stick around. That or they just believe that as a package, they'll be too good to pass up for the WAC. With the economic situation out west, I can not see those schools wanting to add non-West Coast schools to the league. Why would Hawaii want to fly out to NM, TX or LA an additional time each year for football? And that does not even include the non-revenue sports.

TT, it isn't that atleast I think that La Tech will want to stick around. I am not sure that they have a whole lot of choice. As I don't see CUSA inviting them, and if they can or want to move to the SunBelt is very questionable.

And no doubt the more west coast schools don't want to have to travel to Texas. But, the WAC must find 2 schools that can start transitioning to the WAC in 2012 or they lose their bowl eligability, and if anyone else leaves, they must find 3 schools. And right now Texas State and UTSA are the only two schools that can absolutely do that. Sacramento State fans, think it is possible that they can, to maybe 3 schools. With the budget conditions I don't see how the other California schools can start the transition in 2012.

No doubt about it, IF it was possible, the best thing for the WAC would be for La Tech and probally even New Mexico State to go else where, and to only deal with schools like (Portland State, Cal Poly, Sacramento State, UC Davis). But, given the financial straights that the State of California is going threw, and that the WAC has to add 2 schools minimum in 2012, to keep its FBS football status, they don't appear to have a choice right now, but to give SERIOUS consideration to Texas State and UTSA. What other two schools can the WAC add, or 3 schools if La Tech leaves?

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
SM_Bobcat...

The WAC is going to be in a situation again with TXST and UTSA that they are in now if they let those schools into the league. On the bright side, in certain sports, you have legitimate travel partners if it is a package deal - but the WAC schools are hurting budget-wise and for the "core" of the schools (now and presumably in the future), adding schools to the far east does them no good...

I think TXST and UTSA are going to get into FBS, but am curious to see how if a move to the WAC (if that is their destination) helps them in 5, 10 years from now. Could be a fatal move - ask La Tech about leaving the SBC to the WAC or ULM about moving all their sports from SLC to SBC.

darell1976
September 2nd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Q: When you expand, would you be looking to add two teams from the same state for built-in travel partners, such as Cal Poly and San Jose State or Texas State and Texas-San Antonio or is it not important to have an in-state package deal?

Boy would that messup the GWFC, and leave UC Davis behind in football.

SM_Bobcat
September 2nd, 2010, 11:22 AM
SM_Bobcat...

The WAC is going to be in a situation again with TXST and UTSA that they are in now if they let those schools into the league. On the bright side, in certain sports, you have legitimate travel partners if it is a package deal - but the WAC schools are hurting budget-wise and for the "core" of the schools (now and presumably in the future), adding schools to the far east does them no good...

I think TXST and UTSA are going to get into FBS, but am curious to see how if a move to the WAC (if that is their destination) helps them in 5, 10 years from now. Could be a fatal move - ask La Tech about leaving the SBC to the WAC or ULM about moving all their sports from SLC to SBC.

I am not one, that thinks that we are a lock to get a WAC invite by any means.

And no doubt, that eventually, the WAC is eventually either:
A.) Stay a last resort conference
B.) Lose the Central Timezone schools
C.) Expand to 12 teams, and have a 2 division WAC (and see if that helps with the travel costs, I am not sure, how/if it would work)

But, a 8 or 9 team WAC spread out from Ruston, LA to Honolulu, HI to Moscow, ID is not a sustainable conference. But, my point was, that while it is not a sustainable conference long term. The only options they have short term (unless UC Davis, Cal Poly, and Portland State) get what they need to get done to move up done in a hurry. Or unless the WAC can get Montana/Montana State to commit to moving up to the FBS (and get the funding that they need to move up straight in a hurry) are to look seriously at atleast one of Texas State/UTSA. Or to lose their FBS status.

Given what we know right now, minus a complete change and Cal Poly, UC Davis, Portland State miraculously find the money to expand their stadiums in the next year. Or Montana/Montana State quickly deciding that moving to the FBS level is good for them, and can get the money in order to move up ASAP. The WAC seems to only have two choices, and neither is very good. #1.) Invite either Texas State and/or UTSA and prolong the pain and the unsustainability of a conference that has schools all over half the the United States. #2.) Lose their FBS status and access to bowl games. Which, atleast is my mind is even worse and not a scenario that they will vote for....

No doubt, BEST case scenario for the WAC, would be to find another conference for La Tech, AND add three if not all four of (Cal Poly, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Portland State). The second best option and still not a bad option would be to find another conference for La Tech and add Montana and Montana State (if they can/want to move up) and add two or three out of (Cal Poly, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Portland State) depending on Montana State. The third best option would be to keep La Tech for now and add two if not three of (Cal Poly, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Portland State). The fourth best option would be to keep La Tech for now and and add Montana and Montana State (if they can/want to move up) and add two or three out of (Cal Poly, UC Davis, Sacramento State, Portland State) depending on Montana State. Finally, the worst option budget wise would be to look at Texas State/UTSA. But, given where the other teams stand at this moment, options 1 - 4 do not appear to be viable options.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
The issue with inviting TXST and UTSA is that you multiply your issue...

The WAC took in La Tech knowing they would be looking for a league and quite frankly, the WAC needed more stability when they added La Tech. La Tech is still trying to find a way out of the WAC...

The SBC took in Denver because they needed some stability as well when three schools were leaving in '98 (UTPA, Lamar, J'ville)... always wanted Denver to find another home and here we are nearly 15 years later, still waiting to get them out...

Do TXST and UTSA want to keep looking while being in a bad situation? May have no choice based on what they've told their fans and especially in case of UTSA, to maintain that FB schedule of theirs to actually lend credibility to FB in their city...

Cat79
September 3rd, 2010, 11:59 PM
TT

Louisiana Tech is not going to the Sunbelt. Their fans have no desire to be associated with ULM. They are probably 2nd to 3rd option for Conference USA right now. Tech is not going to drop down to FCS. Their only chance of moving is if Conference USA loses 3-4 teams at one time.

You are trying to comprehend why Texas State and UTSA want to move to the WAC. To me it is an easy answer. Here is our opportunity to move up and you either seize the opportunity or wait and maybe that chance never comes again. Everyone has mentioned cost of the WAC. Honestly, I see the six teams left and add 4 teams and break into an east and west division could lower the WAC's costs.

As I mentioned before Texas State has the money and people onboard for this move.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Louisiana Tech is not going to the Sunbelt. Their fans have no desire to be associated with ULM. They are probably 2nd to 3rd option for Conference USA right now. Tech is not going to drop down to FCS. Their only chance of moving is if Conference USA loses 3-4 teams at one time.

You are talking about their fans...not their administration. I've heard from a pretty solid source that both the SBC and La Tech are more willing than ever to get back together. It caught me off-guard, but I believe the source. La Tech in a rough situation and financially, the situation is only getting worse. When you are in a bind, sometimes you have to make decisions. The good thing for La Tech is that even if they go to the Sun Belt, they'd probably be even more competitive... and it is not like the SBC is a slouch athletically now compared to the WAC...

You are trying to comprehend why Texas State and UTSA want to move to the WAC. To me it is an easy answer. Here is our opportunity to move up and you either seize the opportunity or wait and maybe that chance never comes again. Everyone has mentioned cost of the WAC. Honestly, I see the six teams left and add 4 teams and break into an east and west division could lower the WAC's costs.

Depends on the schools added as it relates to the cost...

And you are right, the chance may never come again, but then again...TXST, UTSA could be in a pretty bad situation moving forward if La Tech were to leave the WAC and the TX/AR/OK/LA region only includes TXST, UTSA. New Mexico State is not too bad, but the only way this conference is legitimate and a solid home for the schools moving forward was if it is not as geographically spread out. The WAC may very well need to tell SHSU, Lamar to get their act together and they'd bring them in. If there are not other schools added, TXST and UTSA become a 'twin version' of La Tech.

As I mentioned before Texas State has the money and people onboard for this move.

Thanks to the students...

You guys are expanding your stadium, but will you pack them in? Perhaps FBS will grab some more attention, but with your enrollment and large alumni numbers and prime location - you guys are behind two other schools (Lamar, McNeese) in season ticket sales. You guys could very well be behind them and SFA in attendance figures this year as well...

Cat79
September 6th, 2010, 01:10 PM
You are talking about their fans...not their administration. I've heard from a pretty solid source that both the SBC and La Tech are more willing than ever to get back together. It caught me off-guard, but I believe the source. La Tech in a rough situation and financially, the situation is only getting worse. When you are in a bind, sometimes you have to make decisions. The good thing for La Tech is that even if they go to the Sun Belt, they'd probably be even more competitive... and it is not like the SBC is a slouch athletically now compared to the WAC...

Depends on the schools added as it relates to the cost...

And you are right, the chance may never come again, but then again...TXST, UTSA could be in a pretty bad situation moving forward if La Tech were to leave the WAC and the TX/AR/OK/LA region only includes TXST, UTSA. New Mexico State is not too bad, but the only way this conference is legitimate and a solid home for the schools moving forward was if it is not as geographically spread out. The WAC may very well need to tell SHSU, Lamar to get their act together and they'd bring them in. If there are not other schools added, TXST and UTSA become a 'twin version' of La Tech.

Thanks to the students...

You guys are expanding your stadium, but will you pack them in? Perhaps FBS will grab some more attention, but with your enrollment and large alumni numbers and prime location - you guys are behind two other schools (Lamar, McNeese) in season ticket sales. You guys could very well be behind them and SFA in attendance figures this year as well...

The attendance last year per the NCAA was 12,488 McNeese is not that far ahead of us. Our numbers are not Monroe math. The attendance numbers are being counted correctly. I have no doubt Texas State attendance numbers will improve.

I know for a fact that wealthy alumni and friends of the university have given them half the money (16M) for this new addition to be built taking capacity to 30,000. I had lunch with the Alumnus in charge of fund raising. He stated that Texas State would start the construction timetable when half the funds were raised for the project. BTW, We had record season ticket sales this year, and a second thing I have stated to you prior Texas State does have a dedicated beat writer with the Austin American Statesman and his name is Bill Harrison.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM
The attendance last year per the NCAA was 12,488 McNeese is not that far ahead of us. Our numbers are not Monroe math. The attendance numbers are being counted correctly. I have no doubt Texas State attendance numbers will improve.

The attendance numbers - whether false or otherwise - need to improve. You guys need to sellout Bobcat Stadium based on the capacity figures now. If UTSA comes out and puts 25-30k on average in there next year, that'll really be something else. Georgia State topped 30k on their opening night. Will be interesting if UTSA can do the same, because you'd have this TXST program with all this history and then *bam* this new program that draws twice thea mount.

BTW, We had record season ticket sales this year, and a second thing I have stated to you prior Texas State does have a dedicated beat writer with the Austin American Statesman and his name is Bill Harrison.

What are those season ticket numbers?

And secondly, is Bill Harrison really devoted to TXST? Does he cover other things? Will he cover other away games besides the FBS game or was that it? I'd be interested to follow that, because usually the print folks are cutting back. If we see legitimate commitment to TXST from the AAS, that would be something else... though don't you guys think he's an awful writer?

MplsBison
September 6th, 2010, 07:48 PM
The ideal Texas school for the WAC still has to be UTEP. They're so close to NMSU plus they have a rivalry with the Aggies.

Montana paired with Idaho and Sac St paired with San Jose St also seem like no-brainers...if the WAC can pull it off. Big if.

If the WAC added only those three (and no other TX school) does LaTech feel they were taken care of? Or are the probably going to leave the conference for the CUSA anyway? Any chance of a LaTech-UTEP trade?

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM
UTEP would be a big coup for the WAC, but why would UTEP do that? The current make-up of the WAC does not include any stops in the Houston, Dallas or San Antonio/Austin areas. UTEP loves C-USA because they can play infront of crowds in their major alumni markets.

I could see them going to the MWC because of TCU and the fact, they'd probably still do straight up home-and-homes with Houston and Rice across all sports in order to get into the Houston market annually. Those schools in Houston would be willing to do it. A cheap Southwest flight over there.

Cat79
September 7th, 2010, 10:11 AM
UTEP is being mentioned along with Houston for the Mountain West. UTEP has attendance problems since joining the USA.

TexasTerror
September 7th, 2010, 12:18 PM
UTEP is being mentioned along with Houston for the Mountain West. UTEP has attendance problems since joining the USA.

UTEP's true rivals are in the Mountain West. They were affiliated with those teams for years. Ideally, UTEP would have games against New Mexico or New Mexico State at home annually. Those are great draws for UTEP and then home-and-homes with the Texas squads that I have mentioned before. Those would all be great draws of interest for the Miners.

Sly Fox
September 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
The Miners have always viewed the old SWC teams in Texas as their preferred rivals. They enjoy the matchups with SMU, Rice & especially UH.

Cat79
September 9th, 2010, 01:28 PM
UTEP's true rivals are in the Mountain West. They were affiliated with those teams for years. Ideally, UTEP would have games against New Mexico or New Mexico State at home annually. Those are great draws for UTEP and then home-and-homes with the Texas squads that I have mentioned before. Those would all be great draws of interest for the Miners.

UTEP and New Mexico State have bad blood. I do not forsee these two schools having the same conference destination. UTEP has a desire to be in MWC if Houston joins.

As I stated in the previous response Texas State is starting the North End Zone addition because of receiving commitments from wealthy alumni and friends of the university to a tune of $16M (50% of the money). This was a requirement the administration layed out to the fundraising committee that half the money for the project must be in hand before an announcement could be made. The student money is to be used primarily for the budget. The addition with luxury suites and field boxes was paid off last year.

MplsBison
September 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM
UTEP would go great with NMSU in the WAC, if they could be convince to leave CUSA for the WAC.

Add UTSA and Texas St and you have nice pair of travel partners in the southwest US.

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2010, 02:14 PM
UTEP would go great with NMSU in the WAC, if they could be convince to leave CUSA for the WAC.

Add UTSA and Texas St and you have nice pair of travel partners in the southwest US.

Where does that leave La Tech? Who would their travel partner be?

MplsBison
September 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Where does that leave La Tech? Who would their travel partner be?

They don't belong in the WAC, IMO.

They would go good with Tulane in the CUSA.