PDA

View Full Version : Indiana St Back with 38 Carries Declares for NFL

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 07:20 AM
This one leaves you puzzled. I guess he was going to become academic ineligible or something because with those stats, unless there is something that we don't know, this kid can't be that great of a back. Then again, he did average over 10 yards per catch, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Indiana State's Johnson declares for NFL Draft

Terre Haute, IN (Sports Network) - Indiana State junior tailback Cornell Johnson will skip his senior season and enter the 2006 NFL Draft. He is the only junior from Division I-AA to declare for the draft.

Johnson carried the ball only 38 times last season for 129 yards and a pair of touchdowns in his only season with the Sycamores.

The Las Vegas native also caught 13 passes for 143 yards and returned a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown against Southern Illinois.

Johnson is attempting to become the first Indiana State player drafted since Dan Brandenburg was selected in the seventh round of the 1995 draft by the Buffalo Bills.

blur2005
January 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM
This one leaves you puzzled. I guess he was going to become academic ineligible or something because with those stats, unless there is something that we don't know, this kid can't be that great of a back. Then again, he did average over 10 yards per catch, but I guess we'll see what happens.

Terre Haute, IN (Sports Network) - Indiana State junior tailback Cornell Johnson will skip his senior season and enter the 2006 NFL Draft. He is the only junior from Division I-AA to declare for the draft.

Johnson carried the ball only 38 times last season for 129 yards and a pair of touchdowns in his only season with the Sycamores.

The Las Vegas native also caught 13 passes for 143 yards and returned a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown against Southern Illinois.

Johnson is attempting to become the first Indiana State player drafted since Dan Brandenburg was selected in the seventh round of the 1995 draft by the Buffalo Bills.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

blukeys
January 21st, 2006, 07:35 PM
I guess he figures this is the time to cash in. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

UNHWildCats
January 21st, 2006, 10:08 PM

Stats can be decieving. Where was he on the depth chart? USC QB Matt Cassel was stuck behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinert. He took 14 snaps at USC but still was drafted by the Patriots and in a late season game came in for Tom Brady and led the Pats back vs Miami comming within a 2 pt conversion of tying the game.

golionsgo
January 21st, 2006, 10:55 PM

Look at this way, nobody would have ever heard of the guy had he not declared. Not sure anybody still has but at least he got his name in the paper for one day.

lucchesicourt
January 22nd, 2006, 06:10 AM
Cassel played for 1A USC, a real power with quality players at all positions. This guy is 1AA and hasn't proven anything at this level. If you were an NFL coach, wouldn't you be better off not picking someone who turned into a superstar than drafting a player who ended up being released? Afterall, many a coach has kept his job even though he has missed some super talent such as Joe Montana, Michael Jordan, etc. But, how many can keep their job by drafting bums? I'd say none. So, I really see this guy's chances as slim to none getting drafted. But, he may get a free agent contract if he has the talent. We'll see. But, given his collegiate stats, I doubt it!!

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2006, 11:45 AM
Cassel played for 1A USC, a real power with quality players at all positions. This guy is 1AA and hasn't proven anything at this level. If you were an NFL coach, wouldn't you be better off not picking someone who turned into a superstar than drafting a player who ended up being released? Afterall, many a coach has kept his job even though he has missed some super talent such as Joe Montana, Michael Jordan, etc. But, how many can keep their job by drafting bums? I'd say none. So, I really see this guy's chances as slim to none getting drafted. But, he may get a free agent contract if he has the talent. We'll see. But, given his collegiate stats, I doubt it!!

im not saying hes going to be a 2000 yard NFL rusher, but dont rate a player simply on his statistics. Mayby a scout saw something in him and hes looking to get drafted for a different position. UNH's Jerry Azumah who won the payton award as a RB was drafted by the Bears to play Defensive Back. Im not saying a team should draft him in the first round. I wish we knew more information about him to see if there was something that could lead u to think theres a reason hes entering the draft.

UNHWildCats
January 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Some more info I found.

in 2004 playing for Feather River Golden Eagles, a Junior College in California, he rushed 91 times for 941 yards and 17 touchdowns. He also caught 6 passes for 128 yards and a TD.

He was listed on The Sports Networks top 10 list of JC transfers at #7.

He obviously has talent and maybe gambling for great showings at the pre draft combines and workouts. If he looks good, I'd use a late 6th or 7th round pick on him. More likely he'll end up with a non drafted contract with some team that has a dismal running game and get a chance to make a team in the early parts of pre season.

TheGateway
January 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
He was not used properly at ISU!! Very talented back with nice size and great speed (6'1 220 4.4).

blackfordpu
January 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM

TAKING ROUND PREDICTIONS NOW! :) :rolleyes:
Place your bets.

GrizFanIRAQ
January 22nd, 2006, 08:53 PM
somebody's dreaming!! I'll definitely look for him when the draft rolls around. I bet that Clarret has a better chance than he will! xazzx

blackfordpu
January 22nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
somebody's dreaming!! I'll definitely look for him when the draft rolls around. I bet that Clarret has a better chance than he will! xazzx

Stationed in Iraq now huh? Our prayers are with you. Thank you for your service! :bow:

blukeys
January 22nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
Stationed in Iraq now huh? Our prayers are with you. Thank you for your service! :bow:

Ditto on that!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

lucchesicourt
January 23rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks Griz fan for all you are doing. I come from a military family and know the sacrifices you make. take care and Godspeed.

My point is it is better for a pro coach to miss on a player rather than waste a draft pick. Regardless of what he has done up to now, the question is "Is this guy worth drafting without a doubt?" If there is doubt and you draft him and he is a total flop, is your job worth this risk. IMO, pro coaches would rather not risk their job. I am not saying he isn't a quality back-only that he may not be worth the risk.

grizband
January 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
This kid will have a better chance than Clarret, if for no other reason than his 40 time. NFL will like his 4.4 versus Claretts 4.7 at the combine last year. That is not to say this kid will be drafted, but it will certainly be interesting to watch.

Also, my gratitude goes out to you GrizFan. All of us here back in the states appreciate what you are doing for us.