PDA

View Full Version : Grambling Under NCAA Investigation

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 07:05 AM
Grambling is under investigation according to an article in the News Star in Monroe. Grambling gets more coverage in that paper than Louisiana-Monroe, who I was checking up on this morning.

When it comes to ineligible players, that ussually leads to forfeiting games and considering Grambling won the conference championships and the National Black Championship, this investigation could have major implications.
---------
NCAA starts GSU inquiry
Probe focuses on reported use of ineligible players
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — The NCAA is reportedly investigating the use of ineligible football players during Grambling State's just-completed conference championship season.

Interim GSU athletics director Duer Sharp did not comment on the pending action, though he confirmed Friday morning that interviews had been held.

Sharp said the school's compliance office is handling the matter. He informed GSU coach Melvin Spears by letter of the investigation earlier this week. Officials arrived on campus days later.

As a rule, the NCAA does not comment about ongoing investigations. Also unavailable was Spears, who was traveling on Friday to Washington D.C., where he will be named the Southwestern Athletic Conference Coach of the Year by the Pigskin Club.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060121/SPORTS/601210345/1006

Catmendue2
January 21st, 2006, 07:46 AM
Grambling is under investigation according to an article in the News Star in Monroe. Grambling gets more coverage in that paper than Louisiana-Monroe, who I was checking up on this morning.

When it comes to ineligible players, that ussually leads to forfeiting games and considering Grambling won the conference championships and the National Black Championship, this investigation could have major implications.
---------
NCAA starts GSU inquiry
Probe focuses on reported use of ineligible players
By Nick Deriso
[email protected]

GRAMBLING — The NCAA is reportedly investigating the use of ineligible football players during Grambling State's just-completed conference championship season.

Interim GSU athletics director Duer Sharp did not comment on the pending action, though he confirmed Friday morning that interviews had been held.

Sharp said the school's compliance office is handling the matter. He informed GSU coach Melvin Spears by letter of the investigation earlier this week. Officials arrived on campus days later.

As a rule, the NCAA does not comment about ongoing investigations. Also unavailable was Spears, who was traveling on Friday to Washington D.C., where he will be named the Southwestern Athletic Conference Coach of the Year by the Pigskin Club.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060121/SPORTS/601210345/1006

Tell us how TEXAS TERRORIST.

AppGuy04
January 21st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Tell us how TEXAS TERRORIST.

he is reporting a major story, why call him a name?

so what if he reports stories from the SWAC alot, he finds alot of interesting stuff, and this could be BIG

ButlerGSU
January 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM
NCAA violations are always big.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 08:51 AM
he is reporting a major story, why call him a name? so what if he reports stories from the SWAC alot, he finds alot of interesting stuff, and this could be BIG

SWAC fans seem to forget that a) I live in SWAC country and read many of the newspapers in this area, which in many cases cover SLC as well and b) the SWAC does get a lot of coverage in general, so when I search out I-AA articles, I do pull a lot of SWAC things up...

And this is a major story as it involves player ineligibility which could lead to Grambling forfeiting the SWAC championship...

AppGuy04
January 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
SWAC fans seem to forget that a) I live in SWAC country and read many of the newspapers in this area, which in many cases cover SLC as well and b) the SWAC does get a lot of coverage in general, so when I search out I-AA articles, I do pull a lot of SWAC things up...

And this is a major story as it involves player ineligibility which could lead to Grambling forfeiting the SWAC championship...

that was my point, no matter who originally reported or posted this, this is a HUGE development

MACHIAVELLI
January 21st, 2006, 09:09 AM
My suggestion is to wait until the NCAA releases it findings before you start to jump to conclusions. If it was something huge it would take more than a few days to investigate.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM
My suggestion is to wait until the NCAA releases it findings before you start to jump to conclusions. If it was something huge it would take more than a few days to investigate.

No doubt about it. When you know the NCAA is investigating, they do handle matters seriously and it requires cooperation from all sides of things from the NCAA, the coaches, the school's administration and the conference. Hopefully, everyone works together as I've seen people let go for failing to help out with an audit (our VP of Student Services at Sam).

However, it's hard not to think about the ramifications for the school if they are "guilty" of alleged charges and I'm sure we'll all going to follow this as it's a major institution within our division that had a great deal of success, that could potentially be thrown out if they, the allegations are found to be true.

MACHIAVELLI
January 21st, 2006, 10:26 AM
However, it's hard not to think about the ramifications for the school if they are "guilty" of alleged charges and I'm sure we'll all going to follow this as it's a major institution within our division that had a great deal of success, that could potentially be thrown out if they, the allegations are found to be true.

Guilty until proven innocent. We understand.

Mr. C
January 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM
It is NEVER a good thing to have the NCAA Nazis showing up on your doorstep.

Maverick
January 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Usually the NCAA doesn't show up for "minor" violations. When the NCAA has come to a campus before, the investigation never takes a few days. They may spend a few days there, but that usually leads to a new set of questions based on the info gathered. If the school had thought these were minor they would have (or should have) "self-reported". All of this is based on what the NCAA track record shows. Hopefully for Grambling this is one of those few exceptions where there is nothing.

Mr. Tiger
January 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
I hope there is nothing to this investigation. I know Grambling's AD resigned at the start of football season and that's never a good thing at that time of the year. Hopefully, it's just a case of improper paperwork.

MACHIAVELLI
January 21st, 2006, 11:31 AM
I know Grambling's AD resigned at the start of football season and that's never a good thing at that time of the year.

This is not true.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
This is not true.

Um, Machiavelli...your AD resigned in September, at the beginning of football season...

Jefferies Set To Resign From Grambling As Athletics Director
By GSU Sports Information

Grambling, LA – Willie Jeffries, athletic director at Grambling State University, announced his plans to resign at the end of the month. Jeffries cited family concerns as a reason for this decision. The resignation will become effective September 30.

“It is unfortunate that he is leaving,” said GSU President Horace A. Judson. “For the short time he was here, Coach Jeffries made a strong contribution to our athletic programs. We are as sad to see him go as we were delighted in having him come. We wish him and his family all the best.”

MACHIAVELLI
January 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM
Um, Machiavelli...your AD resigned in September, at the beginning of football season...

Jefferies Set To Resign From Grambling As Athletics Director
By GSU Sports Information

Grambling, LA – Willie Jeffries, athletic director at Grambling State University, announced his plans to resign at the end of the month. Jeffries cited family concerns as a reason for this decision. The resignation will become effective September 30.

“It is unfortunate that he is leaving,” said GSU President Horace A. Judson. “For the short time he was here, Coach Jeffries made a strong contribution to our athletic programs. We are as sad to see him go as we were delighted in having him come. We wish him and his family all the best.”

Uhhh Sept. has 30 days. I was in the pressbox in Quest field/Seattle, WA with Willie Jeffries, he was still the AD at Grambling.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 12:01 PM
Uhhh Sept. has 30 days. I was in the pressbox in Quest field/Seattle, WA with Willie Jeffries, he was still the AD at Grambling.

He announced his resignation at the beginning of football season and resigned rather early in football season...

I guess it's up to interpretation on when he resigned, but he did resign in the early-goings of the football season. Not like it really matters or is worth debating...

Go...gate
January 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
It amazes me how often the NCAA picks on the smaller or lower-division schools when so much bigger stuff is going on at I-A institutions.

MACHIAVELLI
January 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM
He announced his resignation at the beginning of football season and resigned rather early in football season...

I guess it's up to interpretation on when he resigned, but he did resign in the early-goings of the football season. Not like it really matters or is worth debating...

By THOMAS GRANT JR., T&D Senior Sports Writer
Wednesday, September 21, 2005

For at least one day, the Garden City will get its legend back.

The wit and wisdom of the legendary Willie Jeffries will once again be on display at the Orangeburg Touchdown Club. The former South Carolina State head football coach and current athletics director at Grambling State University makes his return today at the Cinema.

Story (http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2005/09/21/sports/doc43320395b6d8f177722806.txt)

Grambling State University Athletic Director Cites Family Concerns as Reason for Resignation

Press Release from Grambling dated9/27/2005

Grambling – Willie Jeffries, athletic director at Grambling State University, announced his plans to resign at the end of the month. Jeffries cited family concerns as a reason for this decision. The resignation will become effective September 30.
“It is unfortunate that he is leaving,” said GSU President Horace A. Judson.* “For the short time he was here, Coach Jeffries made a strong contribution to our athletic programs. We are as sad to see him go as we were delighted in having him come. We wish him and his family all the best.

TexasTerror
January 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
Okay, Machiavelli...

Your AD did not resign at the beginning of football season. He just announced he would resign at the beginning of football season...

You won an argument, congratulations, Mazel Tov! I don't think it's a big deal. The bigger deal is what's going to happen to Grambling as this investigation unfolds and whether or not they are in trouble as well as what possible ramifications can come of this all...

Mr. Tiger
January 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
I hope there is nothing to this investigation. I know Grambling's AD resigned at the start of football season and that's never a good thing at that time of the year. Hopefully, it's just a case of improper paperwork.

I stand corrected Machiavelli. But again it could turn out to be nothing. Not every NCAA probe turns into a probation deal even when they show up on your campus.

mikebigg
January 22nd, 2006, 08:17 AM
I don't think this will amount to much... Some kids who were awaiting clearance from the NCAA (as transfers and some who were coming off academic ineligibility) practiced during the PRE-season. There names were on the program rosters but did not play. Obviously, the SID should have updated the media guide...doubt if that's something that will be considered major.

Some of this comes from disgruntled folk (both in house) and within the conference. I guess those blowout wins didn't sit well with a lot of folk.
Hopefully this will reveal that nothing happened and also identify the source of the allegations.

Mr. C
January 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
The NCAA isn't going to show up on your campus for a simple screw-up by your SID. There is more to things than that. Did this incident have anything to do with Peter Forest being fired as the SID the week of the I-AA championship game? I would hope not. If so, it sounds like Grambling was looking for a scapegoat.

mikebigg
January 22nd, 2006, 08:50 PM
The NCAA isn't going to show up on your campus for a simple screw-up by your SID. There is more to things than that. Did this incident have anything to do with Peter Forest being fired as the SID the week of the I-AA championship game? I would hope not. If so, it sounds like Grambling was looking for a scapegoat.

That was not the reason... maybe a contributing factor though.

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2006, 06:54 AM
Seems on SWAC Page, there is a lot of hate for the SID. I didn't realize an SID had that much power! :)

mikebigg
January 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
Seems on SWAC Page, there is a lot of hate for the SID. I didn't realize an SID had that much power! :)

You guys really misinterpreted the comments on TSPN... The finger wasn't blaming the SID. It was merely stating that the roster prompted the accusation and subsequent NCAA inquiry.

TexasTerror
January 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
You guys really misinterpreted the comments on TSPN... The finger wasn't blaming the SID. It was merely stating that the roster prompted the accusation and subsequent NCAA inquiry.

Communication between SID and Head Coach probably? The whole having multiple players use the same number, which if I am reading right, seems to be the issue, needs to be avoided. Can't Grambling bust out more uniforms or something?

I think there's more to it if the NCAA came to campus, but then again, everything is speculation with the NCAA. You never know what to expect when they "come to town"...

Catmendue2
January 23rd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Communication between SID and Head Coach probably? The whole having multiple players use the same number, which if I am reading right, seems to be the issue, needs to be avoided. Can't Grambling bust out more uniforms or something?

I think there's more to it if the NCAA came to campus, but then again, everything is speculation with the NCAA. You never know what to expect when they "come to town"...
:rolleyes:

You are so lost.