PDA

View Full Version : Laycock names Callahan as starting QB for the Tribe.

Tribe4SF
August 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Fifth year senior wins out over Mike Paulus and Brent Caprio.

http://flathatnews.com/blog/39/press-box/73780

JMUNJ08
August 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Wow so much for that great program @ UNC...

Was this fully expected by W&M fans close to the program?

Tribe4SF
August 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Wow so much for that great program @ UNC...

Was this fully expected by W&M fans close to the program?

Over the last two weeks the scuttlebutt has been that Callahan was leading the competition. Going into camp I doubt anyone other than Callahan himself thought he had a real shot. After missing all of last year, and spring practice rehabbing his knee, it seemed improbable that he could outdistance guys as talented as Paulus and Caprio. I think Laycock was genuine in his comment that all three looked good during camp. That was my view at least.

ZableNoise
August 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM
what worries me most would be a situation where Laycock hasn't truly decided on a QB by mid-season and all three end up seeing some playing time. Things like that can doom a season.

clearthinker
August 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Fifth year senior wins out over Mike Paulus and Brent Caprio.

http://flathatnews.com/blog/39/press-box/73780

SEND PAULUS BACK TO FBS LAND--GREAT JOB FOR THE FIFTH YEAR SENIOR----MY RESPECT FOR THE WM WENT WAY UP

bullseye44
August 30th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm having visions of Mike Potts and Jake Phillips all over again. I think Laycock will stick this out though - Callahan won the job because he's got a significantly better grasp of the offense having been there the past 4 years, versus just 1 for Caprio and Spring/Summer practice for Paulus.

Here's to hoping Callahan can be one of those "just good enough" guys that can allow the playmakers around him to make plays and that another year in the system will make Paulus a beast next season.

ZableNoise
August 30th, 2010, 10:28 PM
what worries me most about Callahan is that even though he is a senior, he is completely green. He has not had a single varsity snap in his previous four years here. Hopefully he'll surprise me.

WMTribe90
August 30th, 2010, 10:53 PM
what worries me most about Callahan is that even though he is a senior, he is completely green. He has not had a single varsity snap in his previous four years here. Hopefully he'll surprise me.

ZableNoise, the same can really be said for Caprio and Paulus too. Caprio has zero game snaps, same as Callahan, and Paulus played very sparingly in two seasons with UNC. Whoever, we put out there was going to be green. Callahan has the best grasp for the system and apparently made the best decisions with the ball this spring, based on Laycock's quotes.

I agree with you in that I hope Callahan takes this opportunity from the first game and runs with it, leaving no doubt. Worse fates than having two quality back-ups though..

JMUNJ08
August 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
what worries me most would be a situation where Laycock hasn't truly decided on a QB by mid-season and all three end up seeing some playing time. Things like that can doom a season.

Preaching to the choir.....but I think ours was to hide an injury

ZableNoise
August 31st, 2010, 11:22 AM
Tribe90, Cap is a freshman and Paulus was at least a back up at UNC. Has Callahan ever even DRESSED for the Tribe? I don't want to hate on the guy before the season starts but the decision does not make much sense to me.

EmeryZach
August 31st, 2010, 11:28 AM
We'll see how Callahan does against an average defensive backfield for UMass. Should be interesting.

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2010, 12:46 PM
Tribe90, Cap is a freshman and Paulus was at least a back up at UNC. Has Callahan ever even DRESSED for the Tribe? I don't want to hate on the guy before the season starts but the decision does not make much sense to me.

If you'd been around practice, and the scrimmages it might make sense to you. The guy won the job. And yes, Callahan dressed for the Tribe his redshirt freshman, and sophomore years. He's pictured below behind the official at Va Tech his redsirt freshman year.

ZableNoise
August 31st, 2010, 02:06 PM
Do you think its fair to say that Paulus lost the job as much as Callahan won it?

WrenFGun
August 31st, 2010, 03:01 PM
Wow. This is a real surprise to me. I think a lot of people had W&M so high based on Paulus. They're not as high in my standings because I don't trust teams with new QBs, so we'll see.

I do expect UMass to beat W&M in Amherst on Saturday.

molly
August 31st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Do you think its fair to say that Paulus lost the job as much as Callahan won it?

Only if you believe that it was Paulus' job to lose. Those close to the program have spent the last 8 months insisting that Paulus was guaranteed nothing other than a chance to compete for the job. However, many just assumed that a I-A transfer surely was promised the starting job. Many posters here and at CAAZone repeatedly tried to remind people that that's not how Laycock runs the Tribe program. Apparently it's still a shock to some.

ZableNoise
August 31st, 2010, 05:07 PM
Only if you believe that it was Paulus' job to lose. Those close to the program have spent the last 8 months insisting that Paulus was guaranteed nothing other than a chance to compete for the job. However, many just assumed that a I-A transfer surely was promised the starting job. Many posters here and at CAAZone repeatedly tried to remind people that that's not how Laycock runs the Tribe program. Apparently it's still a shock to some.

I suppose I should have more clear. I meant to say I had heard that Paulus had played very poorly in addition to Callahan playing well. And I don't think its the fact that Paulus is a I-A transfer that impresses/ surprises people, I think that it is the fact that he was a top 20 quarterback coming out of high school and has now failed to earn a starting job against a guy is 35 lbs lighter and 5 inches shorter than he is.

molly
August 31st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Okay, I hear you. I agree that had Paulus played better than Callahan, he'd be the starter. By not playing better than Callahan, he's not the starter. He "lost" the job just as much as Caprio "lost" the job by not playing better.

I think I misread your earlier post stating that the decision doesn't make sense to you as questioning whether or not Callahan earned the position. But I think you're just saying that you're surprised that Paulus didn't outperform him, given his physical advantages and recruitment ranking. I won't argue with that. I think we're all anxious for Saturday and to see Callahan in action in a real game. I know I am! :)

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2010, 08:54 PM
I suppose I should have more clear. I meant to say I had heard that Paulus had played very poorly in addition to Callahan playing well.

You have bad sources. Either that or you're just making this stuff up.

All three QBs played well throughout camp.

ngineer
August 31st, 2010, 09:25 PM
Laycock has been around a long time. He certainly knows the 'comfort zone' in who he want at the controls based upon what he has seen on the practice field, as opposed to what has been said about everyone and their expectations. I think it's great he's given this guy the shot because he earned it he right way. We're hearing some of the same stuff up our way with Coen selecting Lum over the guy who started most of the games the past two years. Of course, our record over the past two years is 9-13. HC's can only have one QB and the players have to accept that and support the decision. With the way most seasons go, I would suspect Paulus will see time due to injury or the opportunity arises to see what he does. Good luck to the Tribe this year. I'd love to renew our series again.