PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 1

carney2
August 26th, 2010, 09:44 AM
It’s that time again. Only two things you need to know: (1) no one is keeping track of your picks; if you want to, be our guest; and (2) Fordham may not count in the League standings, but they will be counted in the Pick ‘em standings.

Week 1, Labor Day weekend:

Howard @ HOLY CROSS

FORDHAM @ Bryant

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne

GEORGETOWN @ Davidson

Monmouth @ COLGATE

LEHIGH @ Drake

LAFAYETTE, Bye

Everyone is 0-0 and a potential champion.

Bogus Megapardus
August 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Howard @ HOLY CROSS - This game is at home for the defending league champs. Even without current New York Giants QB Dominick Randolph at the helm, there's too much strength across the roster for the Crusaders to lose to other than a top 30 team.

Fordham @ BRYANT - I'm going with the home team on this one. John Skelton is now an Arizona Cardinal and I'm not convinced the Rams have the tools in place to cover for him. Some Fordham Fans believe they've outgrown the PL, but we'll have to see some proof on the field first.

Bucknell @ DUQUESNE - The Bison have a new coach and a new scheme. And like almost all of the rest of the PL, they'll be breaking in a new quarterback, who might even be a freshman. Again, I'm giving the edge to the comforts of home.

GEORGETOWN @ Davidson - just because, well, it simply wouldn't be fair otherwise. I keep thinking of what the Columbia Lions went through some years ago.

Monmouth @ COLGATE - This could be a smackdown and should be the best bet of the week. Monmouth will not contain experienced QB Greg Sullivan and the dynamic Nate Eachus on the ground.

LEHIGH @ Drake - I'm not sure what to make of this one. News is out that Lehigh's MVP quarterback J.B. Clark has left school after not being renamed the starter this year. Plus, a PL team in Des Moines? Drake will be ready and this looks to be a very important game for the Bulldogs. Normally I'd vote against Lehigh - because it's Lehigh - but a win here for the Brown Pants will make them think they're better than they are which might help us later.

LAFAYETTE, Bye - An open week to assess the prey.

jimbo65
August 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
HC over Howard by a bunch
Fordham same as HC
Dukes eke one out over Bison
Gtown over David, as Elvis sang "It's now or never".
Raiders easily over Monmouth
Lehigh by a bunch over Drake, did the MHawks have to go all the way to Nebraska to find a patsy. Fordham & Colgate found them locally
Bye over Pards, Not sure where Bye is located but they should have no trouble declawing the kitties.

ngineer
August 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Crusaders will spank Howard soundly
Rams get slapped in the face by Bryant as a wake up call.
Duquesne will win over the 'in transition' Bison
Hoyas start the year undefeated!
Colgate wins, but in usual unimpressive opening game fashion.
Lehigh will reintroduce Air Lehigh and being a new era with a win
Pards say bye-bye to start season.

carney2
August 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM
This has to be a first, but I'm going all Patriot League this week.

Howard @ HOLY CROSS
Should be a blowout. 'saders

FORDHAM @ Bryant
The Bulldogs are quietly sneaking north on the FCS food chain, but I think they are still plankton for most of D-1 to feast on. Rams

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne
A real head scratcher since this has been competitive the past few years. A perfect place for A Coach Named Sue to fire his first salvo. Buffaloes

GEORGETOWN @ Davidson
When you think of Davidson you don't think of football. The Hoyas loaded up on rummies this year to get some wins. Time to make it happen. Hoyas

Monmouth @ COLGATE
Eachus and Sullivan will ignore Dickie B's opening game curse. Raiders

LEHIGH @ Drake
Drake is another team sneaking up the FCS food chain, but they will find out that up can be a long way to go. Featherheaded ChickenSquawks

LAFAYETTE's rebuilding offense will have a very difficult time with Bye. Still, going 100% Patriot League: Leopards

LUHawker
August 26th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Holy Cross - closer than most think, but still not that close
Fordham - Rams are better as a team this year with absence of individual star, Skelton
G'Town - Well if I'm wrong here, there is no hope at Multi-Sport Field
Duquense - Dukes at home vs. team with new coach and new schemes
Colgate - Tighter than Raider fans would like, but Colgate finds the W
Lehigh - Tough road trip to start the season, but Lehigh begins path back to relevancy with methodic, if not spectacular win

RichH2
August 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Clean sweep for PL, altho LU-Drake may be a toss up with new qb. LC should clobber Bye again this yr.

DJOM
August 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
HC over Howard by a bunch
Fordham same as HC
Dukes eke one out over Bison
Gtown over David, as Elvis sang "It's now or never".
Raiders easily over Monmouth
Lehigh by a bunch over Drake, did the MHawks have to go all the way to Nebraska to find a patsy. Fordham & Colgate found them locally
Bye over Pards, Not sure where Bye is located but they should have no trouble declawing the kitties.

Drake University is located in DesMoines, Iowa; which is roughly 3 hours east of Lincoln Nebraska. Bulldogs ground Hawks in this one.

Bogus Megapardus
August 26th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Drake University is located in DesMoines, Iowa; which is roughly 3 hours east of Lincoln Nebraska. Bulldogs ground Hawks in this one.

It all sort of muddles together once you go west of the Susquehanna River. Iowa and Nebraska are probably somewhere near one another, right? Anyhow, even if the Bulldogs can't beat the mighty, fearsome 4-7 Brown Pants, at least they can put a few chinks in the armor for the rest of us.

DJOM
August 26th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Only advantage kids from Drake may have is that the Hawks will have never seen so many never ending fields of corn. You're right, from the Mississippi west it all flows together. Its beautiful country.

carney2
August 26th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I will be very interested to see if we get betting lines for these games this year. We were getting them regularly last year until late October when they became sporadic or not available at all.

Bogus Megapardus
August 26th, 2010, 08:14 PM
I will be very interested to see if we get betting lines for these games this year. We were getting them regularly last year until late October when they became sporadic or not available at all.

I was the one who was posting them. I will do so again once they are out. The were up regularly throughout the season - usually posted Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.

Go...gate
August 26th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Holy Cross 26, Howard 17

Fordham 28, Bryant 16

Duquesne 16, Bucknell 10

Georgetown 20, Davidson 14

Colgate 28, Monmouth 27

Lehigh 21, Drake 17

Lafayette 3, Bye 2

carney2
August 26th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Holy Cross 26, Howard 17

Fordham 28, Bryant 16

Duquesne 16, Bucknell 10

Georgetown 20, Davidson 14

Colgate 28, Monmouth 27

Lehigh 21, Drake 17

Lafayette 3, Bye 2

So, you're saying that Bye will score a safety?

Bogus Megapardus
August 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
So, you're saying that Bye will score a safety?

Like Penn did a few years ago, it looks like the Bye is betting two that Davis R. can't make the kick.

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Howard @ HOLY CROSS - This is a bad matchup for a slow starting Howard team which must travel to unfamiliar surroundings and its first game under a new offensive system. The Bison would have been better off keeping their series with Georgetown. Crusaders, 38-10

Fordham @ BRYANT - Fordham, but, to quote Lee Corso, only by thismuch. Rams, 21-20.

Bucknell @ DUQUESNE - This is an interesting series where the games are close and home field is no guarantee. With a new coach, Bucknell enters the game with a lot of questions but still has more weapons than do the Dukes. Bison, 20-14.

GEORGETOWN @ Davidson - New offensive coordinator, four new assistants, 40% the team is freshmen, and a lot of players didn't come back. Throw that all out the window, because you'd be hard pressed to see a scenario where this team plays worse than it did in 2009. Yes, a loss here sends a huge message to the PL about this team's ability to compete in the league going forward, with or without (read=none) scholarships. And this odd fact: Kevin Kelly has never won a non-conference game outside of DC in his tenure as GU coach (2006-). No matter, because this is a winnable game, even if the Washington Post won't cover it. Hoyas, 21-14.

Monmouth @ COLGATE - OK, much is made about Colgate's slow starts, but it's at home and the disparity between the two teams is too great not for Colgate to take it out on a Monmouth team picked 5th in the NEC. Red Raiders, 30-7.

LEHIGH @ Drake - This is either going to be one of the Engineers' greatest seasons or the wheels will come off this team in spectacular order. I'm passing on calling this game because i think Drake is underrated, but I don't know enough about their defense to make a fair pick. But, be warned.

Bogus Megapardus
August 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
So far the picks are all over the place but with one notable constant - everyone is betting on a Georgetown victory next weekend.

It's a command performance. No pressure, of course.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
My picks will be done closer to gametime... on the blog of course. But I am fascinated by DFW's comment:

This is either going to be one of the Engineers' greatest seasons or the wheels will come off this team in spectacular order.

Normally I don't put a lot of stock in the season-opening game, but with the new QB and the "theater of pain" tour right after that, Lehigh cannot afford to leave Des Moines with a "L". That said, I agree that Drake is underrated. Their front four on defense is awfully tough - one of the best we might face all year.

SO ILLmatic
August 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Holy Cross
Fordham
Duquesne
G'town
Colgate
Lehigh

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2010, 07:20 PM
My comment was that with the talent Lehigh has, if they can get through the early season gauntlet they could go deep in the playoffs. However, if they stumble early and the local fans/press begin to turn on Coen and the team, it could also be a huge mess.

Obviously, my perspective may be much different coming from a program with zero pressure put on a coach (e.g., a program with five wins in four years) but by contrast the Lehigh fan base does not seem willing to tolerate accept a 6 or 7 win season from Coen regarless of schedule at this point, just as some no longer accepted eight wins from Pete Lembo. That is the concern that a potentially strong team could be ripped apart before it can stake a claim for the playoffs.

Sader87
August 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Was going to wait but I'm bored, stayed in, have to get up early for a mixed doubles tennis tournament (side note, Peter Uihlein will be representing the same club in the US Amateur golf tourney tomorrow afternoon on NBC)....anyway:

Holy Cross 28 Howard 10...I expect a sluggish start with a new QB but Saders prevail at home.
Fordham 17 Bryant 16...Rams eke one out in Rhody
Duquense 24 Bucknell 20...Dukes beat a remodeled Bison at home.
Davidson 20 GTown 17... Curry hits a late 3 for the W
Colgate 35 Monmouth 13...Monmouth alum Mike "the Situation" Sorrentino of JS fame not enough in Hamilton
Drake 14 Lehigh 10...Engineers can't quite adapt to the time change in Iowa.

ngineer
August 27th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Interesting observations. Despite the 'brouhaha" on the outside about Clark leaving, etc. I don't think this has as big an impact on the players as some think. They, of all people, have seen the competition for starting QB up close and personal. They know who earned the starting nod. And seeing Lum get the position because he produced should send a strong message. Compete, produce, you play. And I would think there should be good response to that. Another interesting observation is that Clark was not elected as a captain. One would think a senior QB, with all the leadership skills, would have been a co-captain, but the players did not make that selection.
Drake is no where near a 'gimme' game. They have a lot of talent this year coming back from an 8-3 team. I expect Lehigh to win, but because we have an experienced team, as well, with a lot of talent. The only area where I see us needing a boost is at PK. With our schedule, we could certainly have well over half the games decided by field goals. I just hope whoever gets the nod will be able to deliver in crunch time.
Historically, Lehigh has done well when we have travelled afar in recent years: St. Mary's (CA) 22-16; Wofford (SC) 34-14; W.Illinois (IL) 37-7; Buffalo (NY) 37-26; Liberty (VA) 34-16; VMI (VA) 28-26. I think such trips can be good bonding experiences for the team as well as giving distant alums a chance to see their Brown & White in a rare 'in person' experience. Though small, I expect an enthusiastic contingent of LU fans in Des Moines. My pick: Lehigh 27 Drake 19.

JoltinJoe
August 28th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Keeping in mind that the great Yogi Berra once observed that it's tough to make predictions, especially about the future:

Howard @ HOLY CROSS HC.

FORDHAM @ Bryant Fordham.

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne Bucknell

GEORGETOWN @ Davidson Davidson

Monmouth @ COLGATE Colgate.

LEHIGH @ Drake Lehigh

LAFAYETTE, Bye Bye

Fordham
August 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Keeping in mind that the great Yogi Berra once observed that it's tough to make predictions, especially about the future:

Howard @ HOLY CROSS HC.

FORDHAM @ Bryant Fordham.

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne Bucknell

GEORGETOWN @ Davidson Davidson

Monmouth @ COLGATE Colgate.

LEHIGH @ Drake Lehigh

LAFAYETTE, Bye Bye

Unfortunately, no one ever went broke picking against the PL in week 1 since the early 2000's. Thus, I'll take the opposite with the exception of Fordham (nice hex?) but only because I'm such a homer (edit - we agree on G-town ... I originally thought BOLDED meant that was your pick when reading). To be clear, though, I am rooting for all PL teams in these matchups.

The one that I'm most surprised about is everyone's clear consensus on Colgate. I know the typical slow start has been mentioned but is Monmouth really THAT bad? They whipped us pretty good a few years back and I believe they knocked off at least one more PL team if not more since then. Have they regressed with the implementation of scholarships? Not saying Colgate won't win it but just surprised that it's so much of a no-brainer for most. Possible typical-PL-colored-lenses with this one or am I missing something? I'm expecting a tough matchup for the Raida's.

I do think that Bucknell, Colgate and then dear alma mater have the 3 toughest match-ups this week ... in a week not considered very challenging compared to what's ahead.

heath
August 28th, 2010, 08:22 PM
could Patriot win out.........? I think so

TheValleyRaider
August 30th, 2010, 10:48 PM
At last, the season is upon us. Another year for me to put up big numbers picking the League, and hopefully celebrating a championship to go with it again :D

No matchups of great interest this week, but my general disappointment will fall by the wayside in the wake of FOOTBALL

Week 1
Howard at Holy Cross Holy Cross Season One AD (After Dominic) (can I say that about a Catholic school?) begins with a relative patsy. Howard hardly looks like a contender in the MEAC, so it'll be a nice afternoon in Worcester for heir apparent. Good feelings all around as the Cross starts well enough

Fordham at Bryant Fordham It may be impossible to talk about Fordham and the Patriot League without mentioning the 'S' word. I'll try to restrain myself long enough to say that it doesn't seem like they'll make a great deal of difference this season. Against a middle-of-the-pack (but potentially rising?) NEC team, the Rams get off to a nice beginning in this brave new world of their own making

Bucknell at Duquesne Duquesne A coach named Su(san) takes over in Lewisburg. What it means for the future we cannot say, but this is not exactly a program that lit the League on fire before the recently departed Landis arrived. All of which is a long-winded way of saying I'll believe Susan makes Bucknell a consistent winner when it happens, and that they've struggled with Duquesne in the past, and they're on the road. Still rootin' for ya Bison

Georgetown at Davidson Georgetown While I differ on the consensus (I think) regarding Susan's opener, I'll run with the crowd on the Hoyas. At least against an unimpressive looking Davidson. Just think, this could have been a League game once. Or something. Either way, a good start for Georgetown, though I'm hard pressed to see this as the beginning of a great turnaround

Monmouth at Colgate Colgate Opener hiccups aside, this game takes on added importance with the big games at Furman and Syracuse looming in next 3 weeks. I fully expect a slow start while the offense tries to build diversity and momentum (which is a euphemism for "trying stuff other than running Sullivan and Eachus), but hopefully the usually solid halftime adjustments lockdown a game but ultimately out-classed NEC side. Short answer: Colgate won by a good margin last year against what appears to have been a better MU team than the one they'll see this time. I'm expecting an according result

Lehigh at Drake Lehigh Well, Drake is nobody's pushover, though they won't be confused with the nation's elite. Quite frankly, neither will Lehigh (I think), but that's another conversation altogether. I'm not buying the great Mountain Hawk resurgence this season, but I think they're good enough to get the win in Des Moines. I will also echo Fordham(the poster)'s sentiments and say that a loss could have serious consequences for the team. They know the stakes, not just for them, but for their coach as well

Pard4Life
August 31st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Holy Cross 31, Howard 10 - The PL version of a cupcake game.

Fordham 24, Bryany 17 - Fordham is Fordham and Bryant is Bryant.

Bucknell 28, Duquesne 27 - Coach stays undefeated for one more game.

Davidson 17, Georgetown 14 - Your new Columbia Lions!

Colgate 27, Monmouth 20 - Gate does start slow.

Lehigh 18, Drake 14

jayhawkdaddy
August 31st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Holy Cross > Howard will be a good test for the 'saders
Fordham ...shoulda picked BU
Bucknell ...DU always plays them good
Davidson ...close game over G'town
Colgate ...wins big
Drake ...in a squeeker
Lafayette ...tough time with BYE!

ngineer
August 31st, 2010, 04:55 PM
Holy Cross 31, Howard 10 - The PL version of a cupcake game.

Fordham 24, Bryany 17 - Fordham is Fordham and Bryant is Bryant.

Bucknell 28, Duquesne 27 - Coach stays undefeated for one more game.

Davidson 17, Georgetown 14 - Your new Columbia Lions!

Colgate 27, Monmouth 20 - Gate does start slow.

Lehigh 18, Drake 14

Wow, what's that, 6 field goals or 3 missed extra points?!;)

Leopard Loyalist
August 31st, 2010, 07:34 PM
Another vote for a Patriot League sweep, albeit just barely.

Holy Cross 27 Howard 10
Fordham 14 Bryant 13
Bucknell 21 Duquesne 17
Georgetown 17 Davidson 7
Colgate 35 Monmouth 17
Lehigh 21 Drake 14

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2010, 01:57 AM
FCS lines are out but to date they they include only the FCS vs. FBS games. As expected the Villanova/Temple game is closest with Temple as the favorite (-4). That is followed by Richmond vs. Virginia (-6) and Elon vs. Duke (-7.5). Everything else is going in as a double-digit blowout.

I'm hoping that again this season there will be true FCS lines. They're just not up yet as they ought to be, based on last season's output. I'll keep on top of it and I will update on Ivy and Patriot matchups as they are made available.

UofRfan
September 1st, 2010, 12:06 PM
FCS vs FCS lines are now up at 5dimes

Bogus Megapardus
September 1st, 2010, 01:29 PM
First lines of the season, folks:

Colgate (-13) over Monmouth

Davidson (-5.5) over Georgetown

Bucknell (-1) over Duquesne

Lehigh (-8) over Drake

Fordham (-3.5) over Bryant

Holy Cross (-30.5) over Howard - that's not a misprint!

CFBfan
September 1st, 2010, 03:18 PM

Lehigh (-8) over Drake

I would take:
Monmouth + 13 but Colgate wins
Georgetown + 5.5 and they win outright
Duquense +1
Drake + 8 but Lehigh wins
Bryant + 3.5 Fordham wins
Howard + 30.5 Holy Cross wins and almost covers

JoltinJoe
September 1st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately, no one ever went broke picking against the PL in week 1 since the early 2000's. Thus, I'll take the opposite with the exception of Fordham (nice hex?) but only because I'm such a homer (edit - we agree on G-town ... I originally thought BOLDED meant that was your pick when reading). To be clear, though, I am rooting for all PL teams in these matchups.

The one that I'm most surprised about is everyone's clear consensus on Colgate. I know the typical slow start has been mentioned but is Monmouth really THAT bad? They whipped us pretty good a few years back and I believe they knocked off at least one more PL team if not more since then. Have they regressed with the implementation of scholarships? Not saying Colgate won't win it but just surprised that it's so much of a no-brainer for most. Possible typical-PL-colored-lenses with this one or am I missing something? I'm expecting a tough matchup for the Raida's.

I do think that Bucknell, Colgate and then dear alma mater have the 3 toughest match-ups this week ... in a week not considered very challenging compared to what's ahead.

Likewise being a homer, I discounted that Monmouth game some years ago because, as I recall, it was played in near tropical storm conditions. We turned the ball over several times early, resulting in easy Monmouth scores, and we just never found ourselves after that. In better conditions, I think we would have fared better. Although I do recall Monmouth also beat Colgate in recent years. But I think Colgate is probably one of the top PL teams. I have to choose Colgate over Monmouth.

As for Davidson over Georgetown, I'm not real sure about that, but I chose Davidson because, if Davidson wins, I have thereby avoided the inevitable discussion with Detroit Flyer about how great the PFL is and how I continue to underrate the PFL. xwhistlex

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2010, 04:15 PM

Lehigh (-8) over Drake

If I were a bettin' man.. you can't go wrong with Georgetown +5.5 and Howard +30.5.

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
Ditto... take 'em both. I'd take Drake too.

Pard4Life
September 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
As Homer Simpson would say, "No more previews! Start the game!"

ngineer
September 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
Likewise being a homer, I discounted that Monmouth game some years ago because, as I recall, it was played in near tropical storm conditions. We turned the ball over several times early, resulting in easy Monmouth scores, and we just never found ourselves after that. In better conditions, I think we would have fared better. Although I do recall Monmouth also beat Colgate in recent years. But I think Colgate is probably one of the top PL teams. I have to choose Colgate over Monmouth.

As for Davidson over Georgetown, I'm not real sure about that, but I chose Davidson because, if Davidson wins, I have thereby avoided the inevitable discussion with Detroit Flyer about how great the PFL is and how I continue to underrate the PFL. xwhistlex

Like your 'strategery', but I cannot go that far and pick Drake for the same reason.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
And this odd fact: Kevin Kelly has never won a non-conference game outside of DC in his tenure as GU coach (2006-).

Interesting tidbit on Georgetown's OOC scheduling and its dearth of Ivy opponents. From an open letter by Dartmouth's Athletic Director (http://dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=204772892):

"For example, Georgetown, a logical match-up competitively and philosophically, is happy to host us, but has no interest in coming to Hanover . . . ."

Maybe such a game would be helpful in balancing Coach Kelly's record and in generating alumni interest, even if it doesn't directly serve Georgetown's recruiting goals.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Holy Cross 35 Howard 17
Fordham 24 Bryant 13
Bucknell 31 Duquesne 28
Davidson 17 Georgetown 10
Colgate 42 Monmouth 27
Lehigh 24 Drake 7 - If Lehigh loses i can't see them winning more than 3 or 4 games given their schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Interesting tidbit on Georgetown's OOC scheduling and its dearth of Ivy opponents. From an open letter by Dartmouth's Athletic Director (http://dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=204772892):

"For example, Georgetown, a logical match-up competitively and philosophically, is happy to host us, but has no interest in coming to Hanover . . . ."

Maybe such a game would be helpful in balancing Coach Kelly's record and in generating alumni interest, even if it doesn't directly serve Georgetown's recruiting goals.

Georgetown turning down a home-and-home with an Ivy League school? This is, ostensibly, a Patriot League school we're talking about here?

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Georgetown turning down a home-and-home with an Ivy League school? This is, ostensibly, a Patriot League school we're talking about here?

It's like Bruce McCutcheon saying: "Sure, Harvard, we'll play you at home, but don't expect us to show up at the Allston fields . . . ."

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Interesting tidbit on Georgetown's OOC scheduling and its dearth of Ivy opponents. From an open letter by Dartmouth's Athletic Director (http://dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=204772892): "For example, Georgetown, a logical match-up competitively and philosophically, is happy to host us, but has no interest in coming to Hanover . . . ." Maybe such a game would be helpful in balancing Coach Kelly's record and in generating alumni interest, even if it doesn't directly serve Georgetown's recruiting goals.

Kelly could be saying that a bus trip to Hanover, NH is 517 miles (about the same distance as the western suburbs of Cincinnati) and the time and cost isn't worth it for a program with its budget. Kelly (and the coach before him) hoped to regionalize the schedule with nearby opponents (Howard, ODU, UR) but that failed.

Also, I''m not sure "balancing Coach Kelly's record" is GU's first concern right now. It's hard to balance 5-38 no matter who you play.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Kelly could be saying that a bus trip to Hanover, NH is 517 miles (about the same distance as the western suburbs of Cincinnati) and the time and cost isn't worth it for a program with its budget. Kelly (and the coach before him) hoped to regionalize the schedule with nearby opponents (Howard, ODU, UR) but that failed.

Also, I''m not sure "balancing Coach Kelly's record" is GU's first concern right now. It's hard to balance 5-38 no matter who you play.

But it's OK if Dartmouth (a much smaller school than Georgetown) makes the effort, I suppose. The Patriot League has a long-standing scheduling arrangement with the Ivy League that is characterized by flexibility and mutuality, among other things. If there's not more to this story, I think it's outrageous and rather damaging to the process.

Sader87
September 2nd, 2010, 12:24 PM
There are very, very, very few places more scenic or have a better setting for a football game (in Sept/Oct) than Hanover New Hampshire and Dartmouth College. Shame on Georgetown. I'm really starting to think GTown will drop football relatively soon.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
There are very, very, very few places more scenic or have a better setting for a football game (in Sept/Oct) than Hanover New Hampshire and Dartmouth College. Shame on Georgetown. I'm really starting to think GTown will drop football relatively soon.

The PL has a long standing scheduling arrangment. Georgetown does not. Hanover is, what, two hours from Mt. St. James? It's 10 hours from DC. Will HC be scheduling a trip to scenic Davidson, NC anytime soon?

Methinks Sader87 protests too much, because this "drop football" reply has come up in the past. Perhaps you're concerned HC will be left on the doorstep with GU when the PL pushes for 60 scholarships.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 12:43 PM
this "drop football" reply has come up in the past.

So has "the Ivy League refuses to schedule games with us."

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
The PL has a long standing scheduling arrangment. Georgetown does not. Hanover is, what, two hours from Mt. St. James? It's 10 hours from DC. Will HC be scheduling a trip to scenic Davidson, NC anytime soon?

Methinks Sader87 protests too much, because this "drop football" reply has come up in the past. Perhaps you're concerned HC will be left on the doorstep with GU when the PL pushes for 60 scholarships.

The Patriot League has no formal scheduling arrangment with the Ivy League according to my understanding. Colgate, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell and Holy Cross play Ivy league schools because both parties are interested in playing a game and the AD's get em scheduled. Many of the games are long standing historic rivalries, Colgate-Cornell and Lafayette-Penn, but other are not.

You stated that Georgetown made a concerted effort to schedule local schools such as Howard and Richmond, and refuses to travel to New England where most Ivies are located. How then excatly does Georgetown expect to play games vs. Ivy opponents?

I feel it is pretty clear. If Georgwtown is willing to play home and home, they would easliy be able to schedule games vs. the Ivies.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2010, 12:54 PM
So has "the Ivy League refuses to schedule games with us."

No, what I've said is that the Ivy has existing understandings with the PL on scheduling that Georgetown was never fully brought into. That's why GU is still picking up the Wagners and Sacred Hearts of the world in 2010 while Lafayette welcomes Penn, Columbia, and Harvard annually. Columbia played GU in 2006 in NYC but did not return a game in DC. Georgetown tried to get a home and away series but Columbia passed.

FWIW, Yale is not renewing its 4 (in New Haven) for 2 (in DC) series with GU but Georgetown did pick up a 2 and 2 deal with Princeton in 2013 that it dropped with Colgate, perhaps sensing where the scholarship winds are blowing in Hamilton.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
No, what I've said is that the Ivy has existing understandings with the PL on scheduling that Georgetown was never fully brought into. That's why GU is still picking up the Wagners and Sacred Hearts of the world in 2010 while Lafayette welcomes Penn, Columbia, and Harvard annually. Columbia played GU in 2006 in NYC but did not return a game in DC. Georgetown tried to get a home and away series but Columbia passed.

It sounds, though, like the "non-mutual-buy-in" comes from both sides. I realize that Georgetown is really, really far away from Dartmouth, but it is still an Ancient Eight school that I have to believe that would have enhanced the schedule markedly - with a winnable game. Isn't that the sort of game a Patriot League membership should be able to help get going at the very least?

Bucknell stands in contrast to Georgetown in that regard, too. The Bison had no arrangement with Dartmouth either, but when a chance came forward to get a good OOC game and help out a conference mate, they did so.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM
I think this issue comes down to money--517 miles is a long bus ride and an overnight hotel that is expensive for a school with a tight budget. (Kevin Kelly coached at Dartmouth, so it's not like he's unfamiliar with the place). I'm not saying they won't do a deal in the future (they always might), but Kelly might not have had the budget flexibility for another overnight trip as he's building out the schedules.

(Which also makes me wonder why Howard would cancel another two years playing across town with GU so they could get on a bus to Worcester.)

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2010, 01:28 PM
I think this issue comes down to money--517 miles is a long bus ride and an overnight hotel that is expensive for a school with a tight budget. (Kevin Kelly coached at Dartmouth, so it's not like he's unfamiliar with the place). I'm not saying they won't do a deal in the future (they always might), but Kelly might not have had the budget flexibility for another overnight trip as he's building out the schedules.

(Which also makes me wonder why Howard would cancel another two years playing across town with GU so they could get on a bus to Worcester.)

With all due respect if the cost of staying overnight at a hotel is a primary concern for the Georgetown Football program when booking away games, the program may be in dire straits.

We stayed at a hotel the night before the game on every away game. Trips to Penn, Princeton and NYC included.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
With all due respect if the cost of staying overnight at a hotel is a primary concern for the Georgetown Football program when booking away games, the program may be in dire straits. We stayed at a hotel the night before the game on every away game

Congratulations that your team has such a healthy budget. But if it's the choice between buying another overnight bus trip versus, for example, carrying an extra financial aid package for next year's class, do the math. Until the budget improves, coaches are often forced into these difficult decisions.

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Congratulations that your team has such a healthy budget. But if it's the choice between buying another overnight bus trip versus, for example, carrying an extra financial aid package for next year's class, do the math. Until the budget improves, coaches are often forced into these difficult decisions.

Well these overnight bus trips to places like Dartmouth can increase the profile of Georgetown Football. I understand Hoya fans voice displeasure about not playing the Ivy's, but it appears you have the opportunity to do so but dont always take advantage.

For example I guarantee Cornell and Columbia fans would rather play Georgetown intead of Wagner and Towson. I wonder if discussion took place here.

Ivytalk
September 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Holy Cross
Fordham
Duquesne
G'town
Colgate
Lehigh

What he said.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 02:06 PM

About an 8.5 hour drive to Hanover from 37th and O, depending on the traffic. $55.00 per room at the Lebanon, NH Days Inn. Stay Friday and play a Noon game. Pack a lunch. Maybe $3,500.00 (plus the Bus) for the whole trip? Get one alum to defer the service appointment on his BMW and you're there. Be thankful you're not in Orono.

CFBfan
September 2nd, 2010, 02:21 PM
About an 8.5 hour drive to Hanover from 37th and O, depending on the traffic. $55.00 per room at the Lebanon, NH Days Inn. Stay Friday and play a Noon game. Pack a lunch. Maybe $3,500.00 (plus the Bus) for the whole trip? Get one alum to defer the service appointment on his BMW and you're there. Be thankful you're not in Orono.

have you ever been on a 9 plus hour bus ride as a player and then play a game the next day? it's not a lot of fun and the ride back is worse.
IMHO, Penn would be a great fit geographicly and Princeton, Columbia would allso be nice fits in reagrds to travel. 3 Ivies per season would be great and these 3 seem to me at least as the ones to get ti done with.....

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM
have you ever been on a 9 plus hour bus ride as a player and then play a game the next day? it's not a lot of fun and the ride back is worse.
IMHO, Penn would be a great fit geographicly and Princeton, Columbia would allso be nice fits in reagrds to travel. 3 Ivies per season would be great and these 3 seem to me at least as the ones to get ti done with.....

Certainly the issue of those three being the most geogragphically appropriate opponents for Georgetown has come up before, as has Georgetown's difficulty in breaking into scheduling arrangments that sometimes are made 10-12 years in advance. I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding Georgetown's decision to pass on this particular home-and-home opportunity.

Look, everyone wants Georgetown to win games, play competitively in the Patriot and enjoy football success. I just hope they're not shooting themselves in the foot in the process. I know long bus trips are horrible. I could never read or sleep on the bus for some reason. But at least these days portable DVD players help.

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2010, 02:35 PM

I've been on 6 and 7 hour bus rides before the game. I have heard Georgetown fans lament many times that they cant get games vs. the Ivies and they would love to play the Ivies. Now every excuse is coming out as to why it doesnt make sense to play Dartmouth. If the program truly wants to play Ivies they will make the minor sacrafice of a bus ride and a hotel.

If Georgetown's aversion to travel is true they really only have themselves to blame for the schedule.

CFBfan
September 2nd, 2010, 02:41 PM
I've been on 6 and 7 hour bus rides before the game. I have heard Georgetown fans lament many times that they cant get games vs. the Ivies and they would love to play the Ivies. Now every excuse is coming out as to why it doesnt make sense to play Dartmouth. If the program truly wants to play Ivies they will make the minor sacrafice of a bus ride and a hotel.

If Georgetown's aversion to travel is true they really only have themselves to blame for the schedule.
very good point Frank

Franks Tanks
September 2nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
very good point Frank

I understand it is a difficult situation, and I really feel for all those hardworking players who are suffering through the issues.

The kids deserve games vas teams like Dartmouuth. An opponenent they can get excited about and be competitive with.

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 03:21 PM
On another note (and keeping more with this thread's topic), DFW HOYA's Third Rail blog contains a thorough and thoughtful analysis of the upcoming Patriot season. It's well worth a read (except by those parochial Lehigh Valley ink-slingers) :

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2010/08/best-case-worst-case.html

Ken_Z
September 2nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Howard 7 @ HOLY CROSS 28: they tell us losing Dom won't slow them down; they get to believe at least one more week.

FORDHAM 14 @ Bryant 21: Bryant has had scholarships longer. that's the key isn't it?

BUCKNELL 14 @ Duquesne 13: if Bucknell is gonna win early this year it needs to be the defense getting it done. i'm a homer, have to pick em.

GEORGETOWN 13 @ Davidson 7: DFW in heaven, his prediction of a win this year comes true in week 1. the pressure is off 'till 2011.

Monmouth 21 @ COLGATE 20: annual slow Colgate start haunts them and the PL this week

LEHIGH 31 @ Drake 14: Engineers show some early season steam. is 9-2 too conservative a projection?

LAFAYETTE, Bye: this week for Lafayette, a bye; later this year for the Leps, bye bye

DerHoya
September 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
FWIW, G'town already does bus rides to every away game, assuming its not Howard or any other nearby institution (no sure what they did with Richmond). I think what DFW is trying to describe is how Gtown wants to minimize games which consist of long travel schedules (i.e. HC, a Dartmouth, a Yale, etc). When I played, our longest away games were at HC and Charleston Southern, and those trips turned into 2 day travel annoyances. Leave Thursday afternoon/night, drive 4-5 hours, eat and stay at some local hotel, get up and eat breakfast, get back on the road for another 4-6 hrs, thus allowing enough time to get to the host field and have a 30-45 min walk through to stretch out our legs. Being stuck in a bus for 10-12 hours in one day is just God awful (think return night trips and getting back at 3/4 am = not fun) and I wish that on no one, even if you do have two seats to sorta 'lounge', it's never comfortably.

To think about cost:
Paying for 6-7 meals/snacks for a group of ~85 ppl isn't cheap. We either had 2/3 buses, two nights at decent hotels (always seemed to stay at very nice marriotts or raddisons (2 per room), unless it was Cornell which was some ***** hole), insurance for that trip and related personnel, and general wages for those employed. Tally that all up and its not cheap. This is complete conjecture, but possibly the aversion of some NE schools in returning the favor may be related to these cost/time travel issues. Traveling down I-95 isn't a smooth going either.

All and all, G'town's budget is smaller than its peers and I doubt it would reallocate resources away from recruiting the best players, staff, or pay for day to day operations to spend an extra night at some distant place when it could save it (and maybe have a better shot at a W). Basically, the pros outweigh the cons (costs).

DerHoya
September 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Cross - easy
Bryant
Dukes
Gtown
Colgate
Lehigh
Bye

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Cross - easy
Bryant
Dukes
Gtown
Colgate
Lehigh
Bye

The general consensus so far is that the Pards are in for a big-time butt whoppin' vs. the Bye this weekend. I'm just hoping that the injuries stay at a minimum.

JoltinJoe
September 2nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
On another note (and keeping more with this thread's topic), DFW HOYA's Third Rail blog contains a thorough and thoughtful analysis of the upcoming Patriot season. It's well worth a read (except by those parochial Lehigh Valley ink-slingers) :

http://georgetownfootball.blogspot.com/2010/08/best-case-worst-case.html

An excellent read.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM

FWIW, Yale is not renewing its 4 (in New Haven) for 2 (in DC) series with GU but Georgetown did pick up a 2 and 2 deal with Princeton in 2013 that it dropped with Colgate, perhaps sensing where the scholarship winds are blowing in Hamilton.

Doubtful, as we are one of Princeton's longest-running series.

Have to say I'm shocked the Hoyas will not deign to go to Hanover. The least GU can do is give some home-and-home series with an established Ivy League program. Colgate has done 2-for-1 with many Ivy teams for years; it just goes with the territory. Maybe I've been wrong all these years saying Georgetown will break through. Their relationship with the PL is looking more and more like a dalliance. I hate to use another PL school though in a non-PL sport as an example, but it reminds me of the unfortunate Holy Cross - ECAC broken engagement in Division I Hockey a few years back.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2010, 05:12 PM

No Colgate on the Princeton schedule in 2011 (Bucknell), plus 2012, 2013, 2016,and 2017 (Georgetown):
http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10600&ATCLID=301038

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 05:31 PM
No Colgate on the Princeton schedule in 2011 (Bucknell), plus 2012, 2013, 2016,and 2017 (Georgetown):

Princeton is a much more manageable travel game for the Hoyas, that's for sure. Plus I can go to the game (though given all that Latin gobbledygook I'll have to split allegiances).

According to College Football Data Warehouse, Georgetown last played Princeton in 1923 and has never faced the Tigers at home. This will be a leather helmet series.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2010, 05:39 PM
As usual, DFW has presented a well thought out analysis. While I would love to jump up and down with anger at the analysis for Lehigh, it is exactly accurate. Even with a better team this yr, record improvement is going to be very hard. Andy needs to get these kids and his staff more focused in Sept, win a couple. Get some confidence and consistency on O and then worry about PL race. Will Lum be better than last season? He better be.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM

Have to say I'm shocked the Hoyas will not deign to go to Hanover. The least GU can do is give some home-and-home series with an established Ivy League program. Colgate has done 2-for-1 with many Ivy teams for years; it just goes with the territory. Maybe I've been wrong all these years saying Georgetown will break through. Their relationship with the PL is looking more and more like a dalliance. I hate to use another PL school though in a non-PL sport as an example, but it reminds me of the unfortunate Holy Cross - ECAC broken engagement in Division I Hockey a few years back.

I don't think it's analogous to the HC hockey thing. Remember HC wasn't actually an ECAC member, the conference was looking to expand. From what I understand, HC was the top choice, but since they were unwilling to elevate their women's program to D-I, improve the rink, and invest a little more into the men's team as well, we moved on and added Quinnipiac instead.

I would bet losing the Princeton game came from our end. I know the Athletics Department is looking to save money by scheduling bigger games in the future (FBS payouts?), which would necessitate dropping a series like Princeton from time to time. Sadly, because of their limited OOC and long-term scheduling, once you drop an Ivy it seems to take a decade just to get back on. In the long run, though, dropping our Ivy scheduling to 2 per year rather than 3 or sometimes 4 benefits us more

Bogus Megapardus
September 2nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
As usual, DFW has presented a well thought out analysis. While I would love to jump up and down with anger at the analysis for Lehigh, it is exactly accurate. Even with a better team this yr, record improvement is going to be very hard. Andy needs to get these kids and his staff more focused in Sept, win a couple. Get some confidence and consistency on O and then worry about PL race. Will Lum be better than last season? He better be.

Meh. You guys jump up and down with anger for anything short of 9-2 and at least a share of the PL crown. ̶M̶o̶u̶t̶a̶i̶n̶ ̶H̶a̶w̶k̶ Engineer coaches share the fate of Spinal Tap drummers, it seems. I really want to see that Drake game. Is it true that it will be on channel 69 in Bethlehem (which I can get with old-fashioned rabbit ears)? I'll be watching that OL for weaknesses.

kDex86
September 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Howard at Holy Cross: Crusaders show they can win without Dominic Randolph. Holy Cross

Fordham at Bryant: The Rams shouldn't have any trouble with a team still transitioning from Division II to FCS. Fordham

Bucknell at Duquense: Bison are rebuilding. The Dukes have given them trouble before. Duquense

Georgetown at Davidson: Really, now? I'm gonna go ahead and pick Georgetown, solely because I honestly think this is one of the games on their schedule that they can actually win.

Monmouth at Colgate: The Raiders are known for their slow starts and record in season openers. It'll be a close game, but I'll pick Colgate.

Lehigh at Drake: The Mountain Hawks can't look ahead to Villanova. Knowing that, they'll put all their focus on winning this game. Lehigh

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2010, 07:07 PM

I should have been clearer. I know they are taking a break, but it has nothing to do with the possible advent of scholarships. At least as far as Gary Walters (PU's AD) is concerned, PU wanted to get more southern teams on the sched for the next few years (hence Citadel, Hampton, Davidson and possibly VMI in future years) but there is no institional intention whatsoever in the longer term of ending Princeton's practice of playing frequent games against Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh. The games are bus games against stronger opponents.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2010, 07:10 PM
I don't think it's analogous to the HC hockey thing. Remember HC wasn't actually an ECAC member, the conference was looking to expand. From what I understand, HC was the top choice, but since they were unwilling to elevate their women's program to D-I, improve the rink, and invest a little more into the men's team as well, we moved on and added Quinnipiac instead.

I would bet losing the Princeton game came from our end. I know the Athletics Department is looking to save money by scheduling bigger games in the future (FBS payouts?), which would necessitate dropping a series like Princeton from time to time. Sadly, because of their limited OOC and long-term scheduling, once you drop an Ivy it seems to take a decade just to get back on. In the long run, though, dropping our Ivy scheduling to 2 per year rather than 3 or sometimes 4 benefits us more

I believe we have picked up Yale at the Bowl at least in 2013. We also go to Air Force that year.

The bigger point is that it seems inexplicable that GU would not have a home-and-home with DC.

CFBfan
September 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM
I understand it is a difficult situation, and I really feel for all those hardworking players who are suffering through the issues.

The kids deserve games vas teams like Dartmouuth. An opponenent they can get excited about and be competitive with.

yes, another good point, especialy when you take into account where the GU program is right now....

ColgateTD
September 3rd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Holy Cross
Fordham
Dukes
G'town
Colgate
Lehigh

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2010, 09:24 AM
I should have been clearer. I know they are taking a break, but it has nothing to do with the possible advent of scholarships. At least as far as Gary Walters (PU's AD) is concerned, PU wanted to get more southern teams on the sched for the next few years (hence Citadel, Hampton, Davidson and possibly VMI in future years) but there is no institional intention whatsoever in the longer term of ending Princeton's practice of playing frequent games against Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh. The games are bus games against stronger opponents.

Did I read this right - Princeton is looking south for teams to play, yet Davidson and VMI are getting consideration about a Patriot League member? I have to believe that the choice of these teams is a very, very deliberate attempt to not schedule Colgate or Georgetown.

Go...gate
September 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Did I read this right - Princeton is looking south for teams to play, yet Davidson and VMI are getting consideration about a Patriot League member? I have to believe that the choice of these teams is a very, very deliberate attempt to not schedule Colgate or Georgetown.

Not sure I understand....

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM

Well, if Princeton is looking south, then Colgate certainly isn't an option

Plenty of people here have ragged on the Ivies for their insular scheduling, and I for one applaud Princeton for trying to step beyond that (games with The Citadel and Hampton, for example), rather than just going back to the Patriot League well over and over again. Is it more complicated than just that? Probably, but given the Ivies' already reduced schedules, adding a team outside their normal comfort range necessitates losing a Patriot League foe

Lafalumni29
September 3rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
An excellent read.

Not bad although I'm not sure what to make of the comment "semi-authorized rivalry". It's the oldest in college football for Leopards sake!!!

Bogus Megapardus
September 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
Not bad although I'm not sure what to make of the comment "semi-authorized rivalry". It's the oldest in college football for Leopards sake!!!

I think he means that the League recognizes the rivalry but doesn't go out of its way to single it out or to set it in a class different than other League games. That would unnecessarily depreciate the value of other games and other good rivalries like Colgate - Holy Cross and Bucknell - Lafayette.

It's just that, purely by accident and happenstance, the game gets scheduled on the last weekend every year. xrolleyesx

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2010, 12:03 PM
I think many PL fans would concur that Lafayette and Lehigh have a "most favored nations" status in the PL hierarchy much like Harvard and Yale do.

I would also maintain that if Leh/Laf come to a consensus between the two on scholarships, one way or the other, that's the direction the league will go, Fordham and/or Georgetown nothwithstanding.

Lafalumni29
September 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I think he means that the League recognizes the rivalry but doesn't go out of its way to single it out or to set it in a class different than other League games. That would unnecessarily depreciate the value of other games and other good rivalries like Colgate - Holy Cross and Bucknell - Lafayette.

It's just that, purely by accident and happenstance, the game gets scheduled on the last weekend every year. xrolleyesx

OK. Now I can calm down

Lafalumni29
September 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
I think many PL fans would concur that Lafayette and Lehigh have a "most favored nations" status in the PL hierarchy much like Harvard and Yale do.

I would also maintain that if Leh/Laf come to a consensus between the two on scholarships, one way or the other, that's the direction the league will go, Fordham and/or Georgetown nothwithstanding.

........hence the reason we don't have scholarships!!!!!!!!!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2010, 12:23 PM

Plenty of people here have ragged on the Ivies for their insular scheduling, and I for one applaud Princeton for trying to step beyond that (games with The Citadel and Hampton, for example), rather than just going back to the Patriot League well over and over again. Is it more complicated than just that? Probably, but given the Ivies' already reduced schedules, adding a team outside their normal comfort range necessitates losing a Patriot League foe

This would make a lot of sense if Georgetown hadn't last played Princeton in 1923. Davidson and VMI are fine academic schools, but if the Ivies are scheduling games to be with their academic peers and are looking south for scheduling, why is Georgetown being overlooked in favor of them?

And don't tell me it's about fan base. Neither of these schools draw flies outside their local areas. Georgetown would probably travel better.

It just seems to me that the Ivies are pointedly scheduling non-Patriot OOC games that aren't as good academically, don't offer a great travelling fanbase - or even significantly better competition. I mean, what did the Citadel game really give Princeton? A fracas with their bands? Proof that Princeton needs to get better if they wish to compete with scholarship schools and Harvard and Yale?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2010/09/patriot-league-football-predictions.html

My official predictions. I'm predicting a 4-2 week for the Patriot League... and you'll have to click to find out who I picked to lose. :D

PS. Lafayette just barely squeaks by Idle.

MUHAWKS
September 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
Hey Lehigh Football Nation, I know I am being nitpicky and thanks for the Monmouth pick (I agree) but Jose Gumbs plays Safety. He had to play LB for a couple games towards the end of last year due to injuries and yes he was chosen as a LB in some all league team or something but it is just an FYI NOTHING ELSE...Otherwise, good stuff..

CrusaderBob
September 4th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Without spreads, looks like a Patriot League Sweep to me.

Week 1, Labor Day weekend:

HOLY CROSS

FORDHAM

BUCKNELL

GEORGETOWN

COLGATE

LEHIGH

bluefish
September 4th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Out on a limb:

HC
Bryant
Dukes
Davidson
Gate
Le High

Bogus Megapardus
September 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Your Patriot weekend wrap-up:

Howard @ Holy Cross xasswhipx xthumbsupx

Fordham @ Bryant xsmhx

Bucknell @ Duquesne xbawlingx

Monmouth @ Colgate xconfusedx

Lehigh @ Drake xnodx

Georgertown @ Davidson xbowxxbowxxbowx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Holy Cross 35 Howard 17
Fordham 24 Bryant 13
Bucknell 31 Duquesne 28
Davidson 17 Georgetown 10
Colgate 42 Monmouth 27
Lehigh 24 Drake 7 - If Lehigh loses i can't see them winning more than 3 or 4 games given their schedule.

3-3 to start the year, yuck. I think i only lost 13 games all of last year.

RichH2
September 5th, 2010, 10:32 AM
4-2 for me but an unimpressive opening week overall for PL. Love the GU win, great start. Rest of us , FU too, pretty flat.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM
PL: 4-2
LFN's PL Picks: 4-2

Proud of: Getting the scores of the HC/Howard and G'Town/Davidson game almost exactly right. Also, pricking a whale of a game on the Colgate side (even if I got it wrong - ultimately, it was a tossup game).

Frustrated with: Fordham. I knew scholarships weren't going to make them world beaters overnight, but come on, giving up 44 points to Bryant?

ngineer
September 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I went 6-0! And my Lehigh prediction of 27-17 wasn't far off the mark. Sorry to have been right about Bucknell and Fordham, but was elated to hear that G'town held up the PL's mantle against the Pioneers.

CFBfan
September 5th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I would take:
Monmouth + 13 but Colgate wins
Georgetown + 5.5 and they win outright
Duquense +1
Drake + 8 but Lehigh wins
Bryant + 3.5 Fordham wins
Howard + 30.5 Holy Cross wins and almost covers

5 - 1 with the spreads, not as good outright though.
I suspect a lot of people got hurt with Fordham?

DerHoya
September 5th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Cross - easy
Bryant
Dukes
Gtown
Colgate
Lehigh
Bye

6-0 too. No. Big. Deal.