PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Western Kentucky Move to I-A?

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Came across this today and I haven't heard much about Western Kentucky and a move to I-A in some time. What's the deal here, Hilltoppers?
----------
The C-J: So what's next? I hear that you want to play football in college. Who has offered, and how is that all playing out?

Phelps: I will make my visits (this month) but don't have any offers right now. Western Kentucky and Eastern Kentucky, maybe Miami of Ohio and Wake Forest have all been talking. Western Kentucky sounds really good. They're moving to Division I (from Division I-AA) and making a lot of changes in football. But I'm keeping my options open. I might walk on to Kentucky and take an academic scholarship. But I'm still not sure.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060120/SPORTS05/601200479/1002/SPORTS

PantherRob82
January 20th, 2006, 07:46 AM
They're a bunch of idiots. Kentucky is a basketball state. Good luck with that move. I won't miss em. Give us a Dakota school, or E. Ill to beat on again.

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2006, 07:49 AM
They're a bunch of idiots. Kentucky is a basketball state. Good luck with that move. I won't miss em. Give us a Dakota school, or E. Ill to beat on again.

Eastern Illinois would be a good fit for the Gateway...

I think the Dakota schools are pretty much a package deal. They'll need some new Div I schools to get things settled with a conference it seems.

henfan
January 20th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Schools will tell kids anything to get them to commit.

AppGuy04
January 20th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Schools will tell kids anything to get them to commit.

my thoughts exactly, he will be a senior and wondering why they aren't I-A

Grande Rosso
January 20th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Coach's contract adds I-A pay raise
One WKU regent says football moving toward promotion without discussion

By BRIAN WHITE, The Daily News, [email protected]/783-3243

Thursday, January 19, 2006 12:16 PM CST

FRANKFORT - The Western Kentucky University Board of Regents approved football coach David Elson's new contract Wednesday, but not before one regent raised concerns over the possibility of a move from Division I-AA to I-A.

Elson's contract contains two large raises - one in 2007 and one in 2008 - that will go into effect should the Hilltoppers become a I-A team. I-A is the most competitive level of college football.

That provision caught the attention of Regent Robert Dietle, the faculty's representative on the board.

He asked Western President Gary Ransdell and Athletics Director Wood Selig if the provision meant Western is committed to becoming a I-A team.

Ransdell and other officials have demurred on the issue for some time, Dietle said. He said there should be public discussion of any switch before it happens.

“The actions suggest we're moving pretty rapidly in this discussion,” Dietle said.

Ransdell and Selig said no definite plans are in place for such a move, and that the raise provision is in place so Elson would be appropriately paid if he becomes a I-A coach.

“I prefer to have a contract with a coach that prepares for all contingencies,” Ransdell said.

If the team does not become I-A, Elson's raises will be based on a review of his performance.

Although the football team has a standing invitation from the Sun Belt Conference to join as a I-A program, Western is not close to making that decision, Ransdell said after the meeting.

henfan
January 20th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Ransdell and Selig said no definite plans are in place for such a move...

Oops. Sounds like someone led Phelps to believe WKU's "move to Division I" was a done deal. Of course, it doesn't help that the poor kid doesn't realize that WKU already is Division I. :smiley_wi

Chi Panther
January 20th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I-A is the most competitive level of college football.

This could have been said better........

wkukid
January 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Lets look at the facts:

1. Expanding football stadium
2. Lock coach into long term deal.
3. Include clause in coach's contract "just in case" we go 1-A.
4. Telling recruits we're going DIA.

mlbowl
January 20th, 2006, 04:53 PM
This could have been said better........

That's what I was thinking :nod:

FlyYtown
January 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM
In my opinion I-A has of course the better athletes and the guys who are playing for the NFL. IMHO.. They play great games! Mich-PSU. Texas-USC. Texas-OSU. USC-ND(Bush Push)

Sure I-AA has great games but the future of the pro's is: minus an "A"

Go...gate
January 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM
What does WKU stand to gain in 1-A? And why not consider alternatives to the Sun Belt? The MAC seems like a better fit for them for all sports.

therealbigredrules
January 20th, 2006, 09:17 PM
What does WKU stand to gain in 1-A? And why not consider alternatives to the Sun Belt? The MAC seems like a better fit for them for all sports.

:confused:

crunifan
January 20th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Why not just keep I-AA football, and switch other sports to the MVC. The MVC's reputation in basketball has more media attention that I-A football in the SunBelt and the MAC.

therealbigredrules
January 21st, 2006, 11:42 AM
Why not just keep I-AA football, and switch other sports to the MVC. The MVC's reputation in basketball has more media attention that I-A football in the SunBelt and the MAC.
:deadhorse

The MVC is not calling. Do you know something we don't?

Go...gate
January 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
If you think I said something stupid or off base, please educate me. :confused: :read: It seemed to me that the MAC, which is a well-established conference, would be a better fit for you guys than the Sun Belt. BTW, I have admired Hilltopper teams since Jim McDaniels and company had a big NCAA BB tourney in '70-71, so I'm not looking to put WKU down, either.

crunifan
January 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM
:deadhorse

The MVC is not calling. Do you know something we don't?

No, I just would really like to have WKU in the MVC, you guys would be such a great addition. That, and WKU should just tell the MVC officials that you will be joining the conference next year taking Evansville's place.

Toppermaniac
January 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM
I've said all along that my choice would be to stay in the Gateway and move to the Missouri Valley for all other sports. But, everyone knows 1-A football drives the $ train.

FargoBison
January 30th, 2006, 01:28 AM

NDSU would love to be in the Gateway. Although I like the Great West, scheduling is just too hard with having to find 7 games each year. Right now NDSU only has 8 games and it seems like we will be forced to play Minnesota even though our head coach doesn't want to play the game.

nmatsen
January 30th, 2006, 08:22 AM
In my opinion I-A has of course the better athletes and the guys who are playing for the NFL. IMHO.. They play great games! Mich-PSU. Texas-USC. Texas-OSU. USC-ND(Bush Push)

Sure I-AA has great games but the future of the pro's is: minus an "A"

I don't know what your talking about FlyYtown, we don't seem to have any trouble getting players into the league in Cedar Falls, heck, I don't know of too many non-bcs schools that have had more players on active rosters over the years. I would almost gaurantee we have more than any team in the sun-belt!

Ivytalk
January 30th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Lets look at the facts:

1. Expanding football stadium
2. Lock coach into long term deal.
3. Include clause in coach's contract "just in case" we go 1-A.
4. Telling recruits we're going DIA.

...your check is in the mail, and I'll still respect you in the morning! :D