PDA

View Full Version : Sneek Peak at TXST Recruiting

TXST_CAT
January 20th, 2006, 12:39 AM
With Feb 1st around the corner I thought I would post a few articles about the TXST Bobcats recruiting class. Since this is public info I thought it would be nice to hear what the Div I-AA faithfull have to say.

TEXAS STATE FOOTBALL

Texas State football team welcomes eight transfers
Coach Bailiff says recruiting of high school players going well
By Bill Harrison
AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Friday, January 20, 2006

SAN MARCOS — Texas State Coach David Bailiff welcomed eight transfers to campus this week, will greet a haul of prep recruits in 12 days and possibly a contract extension after that.
Bailiff said that he and Athletic Director Larry Teis sat down Friday to discuss contract matters and that progress is being made.
"He's working on it," Bailiff said. "When recruiting's over with, we'll sit down and have a longer meeting."
New Bobcats
Eight transfers — part of a recruiting effort going "beyond belief," according to Bailiff — enrolled at Texas State this week as classes began Tuesday, including seven Division I-A transfers and one junior-college newcomer.
Purdue quarterback David Ramirez (6 feet, 2 inches, 202 pounds) jumps into a Bobcats quarterback derby this spring competing to fill the big shoes of Southland Conference player of the year Barrick Nealy. Arizona State's Mark Washington (6-3, 250) and Blinn Junior College's Julian Humble will step into the defensive line, which lost All-American Fred Evans and All-Southland Conference player Travis Upshaw.
A trio of receivers, Texas Tech's Jake Brown, Arkansas' Rick Culbert and Utah State's Cameron Luke, and a duo of place-kickers, Baylor's Drew Ireland and South Florida's Kyle Bronson, round out the spring enrollees.
Hula bound
Nealy and Evans will participate in the Hula Bowl (6 p.m., ESPN2), playing for University of Washington Coach Ty Willingham's West squad.
Nealy, who will also participate in the Feb. 22-28 NFL Combine in Indianapolis, is maintaining a blog on the teams' athletics site at txstatebobcats.com.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/01/20texstate.html

University Story

Texas State Spring Newcomers
http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011806aaa.html

Things are looking good. The HS recruiting class looks just as good with several players commiting to TXST over Div I-A programs. All in all TXST will be competeing to have one of the best recruiting classes in '06.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

TXST_CAT
January 20th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Bush chooses 1-AA power over TCU, UNT, Houston
By Jason Della Rosa
Herald Democrat
WHITEWRIGHT — There were bigger schools on Karrington Bush’s short list. But the words of Texas State head coach David Bailiff stuck with him on his visit to the school this past weekend.
“Their head coach told me, ‘if you come here, you can help us win the national championship,’” Bush said.
The invitation was too enticing to turn down and the senior running back picked Texas State over North Texas, Houston and TCU.
Verbal commitments are non-binding. The first day high school recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 1.
Bush ran for 1,703 yards and scored 27 total touchdowns in helping lead Whitewright to the District 15-2A crown before the Tigers lost in the bi-district round to DeKalb.
He was the 15-2A Most Valuable Player and was selected to the Associated Press 2A All-State first team.
The standout sat out as a junior after a sophomore season when he rushed for 865 yards and 10 touchdowns while catching 41 passes for 665 yards and six touchdowns as Whitewright advanced to the region final.
Bush made his official visit Saturday with his guardians, Larry and Jennifer Henderson.
“It was nice,” Bush said. “Their campus is really big. Their offense is what I look for in terms of how I run.”
Texas State went 11-3, captured a share of its first-ever Southland Conference title, advanced to the Division I-AA national semifinals before losing to Northern Iowa, and was ranked No. 4 in the final national poll.
There were six running backs on the Texas State roster in 2005 and three of them are graduating. Whitewright head coach Chuck Lipsey said that the Bobcats have recruited Bush since his sophomore year and view him as the No. 1 running back in their recruiting class.
“They’ve been after him almost every day,” Lipsey said. “That ends up meaning a lot.”
Bush was one of 15 other recruits visiting Texas State that day. Euless Trinity quarterback Trevor Vittatoe was another who gave a verbal commitment to the Bobcats.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

http://www.heralddemocrat.com/articles/2006/01/19/sports/sports01.txt

JMU2004
January 20th, 2006, 12:54 AM
congrats.....

but this is hardly new for I-AA

in fact, taking THAT many transfers is usually bad. Ask UT-C

On the East Coast, UD, W&M, GSU, ASU, JMU, Furman etc routinely beat out minor I-A's for recruits, and it has been going on for awhile.

Looks like a solid class..........but those 8 transfers worry me. After all, it probably takes at least one year to get used to the system, school, players, etc.....its rare when a I-A transfer comes in and dominates. You can't build a program on JUCO's and transfers

Tod
January 20th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Good for Texas State! Hope to see you guys in the running for years to come!!

TXST_CAT
January 20th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Good for Texas State! Hope to see you guys in the running for years to come!!

Thank You We hope the same.

TXST_CAT
January 20th, 2006, 01:18 AM
congrats.....

but this is hardly new for I-AA

in fact, taking THAT many transfers is usually bad. Ask UT-C

On the East Coast, UD, W&M, GSU, ASU, JMU, Furman etc routinely beat out minor I-A's for recruits, and it has been going on for awhile.

Looks like a solid class..........but those 8 transfers worry me. After all, it probably takes at least one year to get used to the system, school, players, etc.....its rare when a I-A transfer comes in and dominates. You can't build a program on JUCO's and transfers

Baliff recruits JUCOs that have simmilar Defensive schemes as we do. He is also serious about not accepting players just because they come from the I-A. He will only go after players he and his staff feel will be able to impact the team right away. On another note several of if not at least one of the players is comming as a walk on. I don't see any of these players "given" a starting possition, each will have to earn their spots just like past transfers. Our returning players are and will remain the leaders on the team. What this will do it improve the depth of quality players and increased the competition for the starting possitions. I wouldn't consider UTEP and TCU minor programs. Mid-major IMO.

Tod
January 20th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Baliff recruits JUCOs that have simmilar Defensive schemes as we do. He is also serious about not accepting players just because they come from the I-A. He will only go after players he and his staff feel will be able to impact the team right away. On another note several of if not at least one of the players is comming as a walk on. I don't see any of these players "given" a starting possition, each will have to earn their spots just like past transfers. Our returning players are and will remain the leaders on the team. What this will do it improve the depth of quality players and increased the competition for the starting possitions. I wouldn't consider UTEP and TCU minor programs. Mid-major IMO.

Agreed on each account, except the Baliff recruiting scheme of which I'm ignorant and therefore can't have an opinion. Jason Washington for the Griz, came from Bowling Green last year and lost his starting job to a redshirt freshman. Jason will be a senior next year and will not likely see any playing time, at least not at QB.

TXST_CAT
January 20th, 2006, 01:48 AM
Agreed on each account, except the Baliff recruiting scheme of which I'm ignorant and therefore can't have an opinion. Jason Washington for the Griz, came from Bowling Green last year and lost his starting job to a redshirt freshman. Jason will be a senior next year and will not likely see any playing time, at least not at QB.

Our QB possition will be interesting to watch this seasn with Nealy entering the pros there is a question mark as to who will fill the possition. We have very capable QB's in our RS Brad George and now two quality transfers. The addition of tall fast WR's in addition to those already on the squad will allow us to go deep and create mismatches. I can't wait fot the spring game! Look for TXST to have a very dangerous Offense again next season.

JMU2004
January 20th, 2006, 02:08 AM

ill put it this way....if you aren't a starter at UTEP or TCU, you may start at I-AA, but you will not be dominant....

UTEP and TCU are solid I-AA programs, but in the bottom 50

Tod
January 20th, 2006, 02:21 AM
Our QB possition will be interesting to watch this seasn with Nealy entering the pros there is a question mark as to who will fill the possition. We have very capable QB's in our RS Brad George and now two quality transfers. The addition of tall fast WR's in addition to those already on the squad will allow us to go deep and create mismatches. I can't wait fot the spring game! Look for TXST to have a very dangerous Offense again next season.

It always sucks to lose such a great player. If Texas State is to prove they're going to play with the big boys of I-AA, they will need to overcome that loss (and others I'm sure). Certainly the media and local attention that Texas State garnered will suit you well. I (and I know many others on AGS) was impressed with their showing in the playoff games. Great stadium, great crowd, great games. Hopefully that carries over and your team reloads.

Tod
January 20th, 2006, 02:26 AM
ill put it this way....if you aren't a starter at UTEP or TCU, you may start at I-AA, but you will not be dominant....

UTEP and TCU are solid I-AA programs, but in the bottom 50

I disagree. UTEP and TCU would have been very solid teams in I-AA, I think. Now, if you took away scholarships, etc., that might be a different story, but if you mean that these very teams played a I-AA schedule and compted for the I-AA playoffs, I'm pretty sure they would have been in. There are very few teams in I-A that would not have made the I-AA playoffs, though there are definitely some.

This is no smack on I-AA, which I love, but look at the wins and losses this year between I-A and I-AA.

Bottom 50 with so many mid-majors and such, no way in hell...

JMU2004
January 20th, 2006, 03:41 AM
I disagree. UTEP and TCU would have been very solid teams in I-AA, I think. Now, if you took away scholarships, etc., that might be a different story, but if you mean that these very teams played a I-AA schedule and compted for the I-AA playoffs, I'm pretty sure they would have been in. There are very few teams in I-A that would not have made the I-AA playoffs, though there are definitely some.

This is no smack on I-AA, which I love, but look at the wins and losses this year between I-A and I-AA.

Bottom 50 with so many mid-majors and such, no way in hell...

No No No..... I simply think that UTEP and TCU are prolly bottom 50-60 of I-A usually.

TCU and UTEP are far above any I-AA program in terms of support, facilities, etc.

Its one thing to have a transfer from USC or UT, but I am not bowled over by a kid from TCU or UTEP, especially when you consider the ammount of I-A teams in Texas

Tod
January 20th, 2006, 03:49 AM
No No No..... I simply think that UTEP and TCU are prolly bottom 50-60 of I-A usually.

TCU and UTEP are far above any I-AA program in terms of support, facilities, etc.

Its one thing to have a transfer from USC or UT, but I am not bowled over by a kid from TCU or UTEP, especially when you consider the ammount of I-A teams in Texas

Ah, I see. OK, my bad, miscommunication on my part. And I see what you mean and agree with you. Kind of like a certain Bowling Green QB the Griz got last year. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My bad.

bobcatalum05
January 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM
TCU actaully has a pretty good program going. I would actually put them in the top 50.

Bobcat94
January 20th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Uhmmmm, TCU finished 9th in the BCS and 11th in the AP.

TXST_CAT
January 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM

He didn't transfer from TCU or UTEP he is one of the HS recruits and chose TXST over TCU,UTEP. Which in Texas are two programs on the rise especialy TCU.

Our transfers came from

Kyle Bronson-PK-6-0/190-So./South Florida
Jake Brown-WR-6-0/180-Fr./TR-/Texas Tech
Rick Culbert-WR-6-0/180-So./TR/Arkansas
Julian Humble-DL-6-4/250-Jr./TR/Blinn Junior College
Drew Ireland-PK-5-8/194-So./TR/Baylor
Cameron Luke-WR-6-2/205 -So./TR/Utah State
David Ramirez-QB-6-2/202 -Fr./TR/Purdue
Mark Washington-DL-6-3/250-Jr./TR /Arizona State